ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports Caitlin Clark is ****ing awesome (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=348179)

Hammock Parties 04-02-2023 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 16886915)
people who only started following the NBA because of the WNBA

LMAOLMAOLMAOLMAO

if you aren't a chick you transitioned

chiefzilla1501 04-02-2023 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 16886909)
Do you really think the WNBA is generating $10-$15M worth of new revenue for the NBA? I highly doubt that.

I don’t think it’s too hard to imagine. I imagine the profit loss is overstated because overhead is significantly lower since they “rent” arenas from property owners who are more than happy to fill offseason seats. but yeah, not hard to imagine that if you get a few girls playing at a young age, at least some small % of them will take an interested in NBA which (as we all know) is a way better product. It shouldn’t take too many lifetime fans to fill a $10m gap.

Think he has it right that the league probably breaks about even and they’re fine with that

Hammock Parties 04-02-2023 07:50 PM

the hilarious thing about the WNBA is they are driving themselves further into the ground with their players demanding more money due to "equality" or "equity" or whatever the new social justice buzzword is these days

that's what happens when you put women in charge

mlyonsd 04-02-2023 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 16886930)
Nobody had to race "bait" this situation.

It is a response to people reacting to something differently when the only difference was race.

Race did not have to be artificially put into it...the dog whistles were already out.

You'll have to explain that one. I possibly am missing something since I don't follow this sport.

Rams Fan 04-02-2023 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 16886935)
LMAOLMAOLMAOLMAO

if you aren't a chick you transitioned

I was born with and have a penis, thank you very much.

And I would imagine, while that # of people who followed the WNBA before the NBA is small, it’s probably more than 0.

Keep your DC rhetoric to there, mmkay?

Hammock Parties 04-02-2023 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 16886942)
I was born with and have a penis, thank you very much.

And I would imagine, while that # of people who followed the WNBA before the NBA is small, it’s probably more than 0.

Keep your DC rhetoric to there, mmkay?

do you DVR the WNBA?

ThyKingdomCome15 04-02-2023 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 16886924)
Look like her? WTF does that mean? Is she race baiting?

She's recieving backlash for multiple gestures of pootr sportsmanship and she pulled the race card in defense. So yes, she is.

With that said, I don't like that it has tainted their victory a little bit. They should be celebrating full throttle right now, not thinking about something like that. They did earn it after all.

Rams Fan 04-02-2023 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 16886936)
I don’t think it’s too hard to imagine. I imagine the profit loss is overstated because overhead is significantly lower since they “rent” arenas from property owners who are more than happy to fill offseason seats. but yeah, not hard to imagine that if you get a few girls playing at a young age, at least some small % of them will take an interested in NBA which (as we all know) is a way better product. It shouldn’t take too many lifetime fans to fill a $10m gap.

Think he has it right that the league probably breaks about even and they’re fine with that

That’s my point.

If the WNBA actually lost billionaires money overall, they wouldn’t be subsidizing the sport. They may not make money off of it, but they certainly aren’t losing any with everything considered.

|Zach| 04-02-2023 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 16886939)
You'll have to explain that one. I possibly am missing something since I don't follow this sport.

I don't either. And you don't really have to. That LSU player you mentioned was taunting the the Iowa player Collins leading into a national championship win...tons of people including people here piled on to her as classless and thought it was bullshit.

But that same player Collins did the same exact thing and everyone thought it was fine...or awesome or at the very least didn't care.

Anyone thinking there was a different between the situations other than race is bending over backwards to find something that does not exist. It was such a clear example of two different sets of rules for two different players.

It reminds me years ago when KC had two players one was a Haitian kid named Peterson Joseph the other was a white dude named Davy Arnaud. They were both pretty physical players. When Davy would make tough physical plays he was "tenacious" "physical and aggressive" "would do anything to win" when Peterson made those same tough fouls the black player? People would call him a thug.

jd1020 04-02-2023 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 16886946)
That’s my point.

If the WNBA actually lost billionaires money overall, they wouldn’t be subsidizing the sport. They may not make money off of it, but they certainly aren’t losing any with everything considered.

They'll continue to subsidize it as long as toxic feminism is still a major part of social norms. The money they lose continuing to pay for that league is probably a lot less than the money they would lose if they told them to **** off. Sponsors would leave for "women's rights."

Hammock Parties 04-02-2023 07:59 PM

can you imagine if NBA players bled once a month for a few days?

"Well John the Lakers are in town tonight, and normally i'd take them, but it's LeBron's time of the month and as we see here *points to chart* his numbers always go down on his period."

"In particular, in the fourth quarter his cramping really flares up. I like the Mavs by seven. And now a word from Maxipad."

|Zach| 04-02-2023 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 16886951)

"Well John the Lakers are in town tonight, and normally i'd take them, but it's LeBron's time of the month and as we see here *points to chart* his numbers always go down on his period."

"In particular, in the fourth quarter his cramping really flares up. I like the Mavs by seven. And now a word from Maxipad."

I don't care or watch the NBA but GoChiefs being triggered because women exist in the world is pretty funny.

Titty Meat 04-02-2023 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 16886952)
I don't care or watch the NBA but GoChiefs being triggered because women exist in the world is pretty funny.

He still gets more pussy than you too

Hammock Parties 04-02-2023 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 16886952)

No problem with women. But like men, they should stay in their lane.

Starting or running sports leagues isn't their thing.

I wouldn't hire a man to clean my house.

Rams Fan 04-02-2023 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 16886950)
They'll continue to subsidize it as long as toxic feminism is still a major part of social norms. The money they lose continuing to pay for that league is probably a lot less than the money they would lose if they told them to **** off. Sponsors would leave for "women's rights."

They could have also chosen to never start the WNBA.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 16886951)

Yeah, the NBA calls that "load management". Are you seriously that dense? LMAO

BigCatDaddy 04-02-2023 08:04 PM

Quote:

Yes. The elephant in the room was they didn't like the white girl from IA getting all the pub but nobody wants to come out and say it like that.

jd1020 04-02-2023 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 16886960)
They could have also chosen to never start the WNBA.

They could have. But the die is cast.

Rams Fan 04-02-2023 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 16886962)
They could have. But the die is cast.

Long-term I think the NBA comes out ahead with the WNBA, especially since there are revenue sources now that aren't/weren't available when it was founded (streaming, social media, etc.).

We can agree to disagree on the motives.

Hammock Parties 04-02-2023 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 16886960)
T
Yeah, the NBA calls that "load management". Are you seriously that dense? LMAO

Ah yes. Women never tire, so it evens out.

|Zach| 04-02-2023 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 16886961)
Yes. The elephant in the room was they didn't like the white girl from IA getting all the pub but nobody wants to come out and say it like that.

It is weird as you frame this very normal opinion like some edge lord type of take that is too hot for people to openly touch.

Of course that is part of it. Whatever someone may think about women's sports they are still all ultra competitive our own NFL team thrived on things like disrespect.

This has nothing to do with asymmetrical reactions to symmetrical instances of taunting.

mlyonsd 04-02-2023 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThyKingdomCome15 (Post 16886945)
She's recieving backlash for multiple gestures of pootr sportsmanship and she pulled the race card in defense. So yes, she is.

With that said, I don't like that it has tainted their victory a little bit. They should be celebrating full throttle right now, not thinking about something like that. They did earn it after all.

The funny thing is as an old white guy when it happened I considered it as trolling another opponent. I never once thought considering it a race thing until Reese made it so. What a sad look for what secondary education is putting out these days.

|Zach| 04-02-2023 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 16886985)
The funny thing is as an old white guy when it happened I considered it as trolling another opponent. I never once thought considering it a race thing until Reese made it so. What a sad look for what secondary education is putting out these days.

I think when people talk about it being a race thing its not from the players its from the the response to the event.

mlyonsd 04-02-2023 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 16886994)
I think when people talk about it being a race thing its not from the players its from the the response to the event.

Good lord man it was Reese's own comments that made me ask the question.

Don't worry mods, I'm out of this thread. Sorry.

golfindude 04-02-2023 09:21 PM

Whatever Caitlin supposedly did or said, it was before the game was over and the winner decided. After the game was decided, Caitlin was pure class. The LSU mouth, not a good winner which is why I called her classless.

KC_Connection 04-02-2023 09:43 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">FACTS!!!! Love to see it <a href="https://t.co/YrrlIyg90S">https://t.co/YrrlIyg90S</a></p>&mdash; LeBron James (@KingJames) <a href="https://twitter.com/KingJames/status/1642714971648696322?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 3, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

CapsLockKey 04-02-2023 09:44 PM

Funny how this turned into a discussion about the WNBA. Nobody cares about the WNBA and Caitlin Clark or whoever isn't going to suddenly make it popular.

Women's college basketball on the other hand doesn't need the men's version to financially keep it afloat. 4.5 million viewers for Friday nights games. WNBA playoff games get what, couple hundred thousand maybe? Clark will probably make way more in NIL in college then she would ever get from a WNBA contract.

For the record, I can count on one hand how many women's basketball games I've purposely watched in my lifetime that didn't have someone I personally know playing, but I know plenty of people who are into it at the college level. Clark is something worth watching though.

CapsLockKey 04-02-2023 09:56 PM

And not that I care much, but Clark does her schtick on the court during play where trash talking is supposed to occur not after the game to rub it in after they lost. What the LSU chick did is the equivalent of Tyreek chasing people down and throwing up deuces in people's faces at mid field after the game is over. Lame ass sportsmanship.

ARROW2 04-02-2023 10:06 PM

Is it just me or does she look a little tranny?

|Zach| 04-02-2023 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfindude (Post 16887053)
Whatever Caitlin supposedly did or said, it was before the game was over and the winner decided. After the game was decided, Caitlin was pure class. The LSU mouth, not a good winner which is why I called her classless.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapsLockKey (Post 16887087)
And not that I care much, but Clark does her schtick on the court during play where trash talking is supposed to occur not after the game to rub it in after they lost.

Not sure why people are moving the goal posts on this. She did things on the court...during the game...thats how the conversation started here.

When asked about it post game she didn't apologize it.

The desire to clutch pearls by some is hilarious. I mean...we are Chiefs fans...I honestly have no idea where this pedestal from some is coming from.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aODy2pepnnM" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ThyKingdomCome15 04-02-2023 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARROW2 (Post 16887093)

It's just you. :shake:

ThyKingdomCome15 04-02-2023 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 16886938)
the hilarious thing about the WNBA is they are driving themselves further into the ground with their players demanding more money due to "equality" or "equity" or whatever the new social justice buzzword is these days

that's what happens when you put women in charge

They can demand the moon and stars far as I'm concerned. At the end of the day it's a business. It's hard to ask for more when the ratings are low.

ARROW2 04-02-2023 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThyKingdomCome15 (Post 16887097)
It's just you. :shake:

So would you hit it? LOL!

ARROW2 04-02-2023 10:33 PM

Interesting, given that a lot on here accuse the Chiefs cheerleaders of being tranny, serious or not and not see any Jawanna man in Clark....

kysirsoze 04-02-2023 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 16887096)
Not sure why people are moving the goal posts on this. She did things on the court...during the game...thats how the conversation started here.

The desire to clutch pearls by some is hilarious. I mean...we are Chiefs fans...I honestly have no idea where this pedestal from some is coming from.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aODy2pepnnM" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yeah, Travis Kelce pissed on Cincinnati's ****ing grave, but her pointing at her finger is an issue. WTF?

ThyKingdomCome15 04-02-2023 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARROW2 (Post 16887101)

:hmmm: .... STFU... :facepalm:

ThyKingdomCome15 04-02-2023 10:55 PM

Tyreek made a highly interesting post on the difference in the two team's locker rooms. Dang man.

Pitt Gorilla 04-02-2023 10:56 PM

My son played against Clark's brother in the HS playoffs this year. That's all I've got.

ThyKingdomCome15 04-02-2023 10:58 PM

I wish Lebron would just drown himself in antifreeze already. Dude isn't even likable.

Ocotillo 04-02-2023 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARROW2 (Post 16887101)

Would you pay for her OnlyFans? ROFL

ThyKingdomCome15 04-02-2023 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocotillo (Post 16887121)

All of you need to cease and desist on making comments like this about our little three point shooting angel.:shake:

Titty Meat 04-03-2023 01:23 AM

The shit talking seems to be controversial can we just universally accept in sports if you don't like to be taunted not to lose the game and that's that?

ThyKingdomCome15 04-03-2023 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 16887149)
The shit talking seems to be controversial can we just universally accept in sports if you don't like to be taunted not to lose the game and that's that?

The only real issue is Iowa lost. That is true

BWillie 04-03-2023 02:47 AM

Quote:

Yes. Yes she is.

Look I have no problem with what she did. I love it. Players do worse in bball all the time. Dunk over someone and stare them down. Block their shot and taunt. Etc.

If the LSU chick would be known for that magic face wave thing and Iowa would have won and then Clark would have did it LSU fans would have been pissed as well. Has almost nothing to do about race, everything to do with being pissed you lost.

MarkDavis'Haircut 04-03-2023 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 16887071)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">FACTS!!!! Love to see it <a href="https://t.co/YrrlIyg90S">https://t.co/YrrlIyg90S</a></p>&mdash; LeBron James (@KingJames) <a href="https://twitter.com/KingJames/status/1642714971648696322?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 3, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Oh great, Mr. Book Jacket is talking.

MarkDavis'Haircut 04-03-2023 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 16886948)
I don't either. And you don't really have to. That LSU player you mentioned was taunting the the Iowa player Collins leading into a national championship win...tons of people including people here piled on to her as classless and thought it was bullshit.

But that same player Collins did the same exact thing and everyone thought it was fine...or awesome or at the very least didn't care.

Anyone thinking there was a different between the situations other than race is bending over backwards to find something that does not exist. It was such a clear example of two different sets of rules for two different players.

It reminds me years ago when KC had two players one was a Haitian kid named Peterson Joseph the other was a white dude named Davy Arnaud. They were both pretty physical players. When Davy would make tough physical plays he was "tenacious" "physical and aggressive" "would do anything to win" when Peterson made those same tough fouls the black player? People would call him a thug.

Her name is Clark, you flopper.

MarkDavis'Haircut 04-03-2023 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 16886908)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Good for her. Folks showing their ass on this by clutching their pearls for regular old sports trash talk (and the EXACT kind of trash talk that Caitlin did last week and we all loved!) can kick rocks. <a href="https://t.co/5LEVLwD9dX">https://t.co/5LEVLwD9dX</a></p>&mdash; nick wright (@getnickwright) <a href="https://twitter.com/getnickwright/status/1642699901371809798?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 3, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

She won the national championship and she is playing the victim.

Danguardace 04-03-2023 03:52 AM

Quote:

It is a response to people reacting to something differently when the only difference was race.

Race did not have to be artificially put into it...the dog whistles were already out.

Funny how white people created the term "Race Baiting" now instead of say anytime over the last 200 years

LoneWolf 04-03-2023 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 16887096)

Kelce isn't talking about or taunting another player, you dumb, fat piece of shit. He's talking about the Cincinnati mayor who said some pretty stupid shit leading up to the game. If Kelce had grabbed the AFC Championship trophy and went into the Cincinnati locker room to shove it in Hilton's face and screamed "Burrowhead My Ass," that would be an apt comparison.

The LSU player was classless in that she waited until the game was over and then followed Caitlin around taunting her trying to get a reaction.

You have got to be the biggest dumbass on this board, and it really isn't close.

srvy 04-03-2023 05:36 AM

The fact is no one will remember this game was even played after the men's finale Tuesday night.

chiefzilla1501 04-03-2023 05:56 AM

Trying to see it from both sides. Was it race baiting? Of course it was. the wnba treats itself with a lot of self importance and that trickles to college level. The kind that convinces Brittany griner that she should be treated like Michael Jordan. Or that demands equal pay despite having a fraction of the USWNT popularity. I don’t blame angel reese for how she acted but dawn staley threw bait and made the unfair accusation at the Iowa coach of racist taunts (the coach was complimenting South Carolina for playing tough on the boards).

Was Staley right that black womens players get held to a different standard. Seems to be the case the way some of this has played out. Sure. I get some of the frustration. But her reaction to losing was largely an overreaction and the echo chamber media took the bait. Ironically it’s the same media that sells a sport that is predominantly black in a white package where some of these players get unfairly labeled as ghetto. Fans took that bait to double down on praise for clark while others took it as disrespect and a racial double standard. Sadly it’ll do wonders for ratings. Such is the state of this country these days. But it’s unfortunate for Iowa and clark who became victims in this whole thing. It’s a shame because she has the potential to grow popularity for the game and but she may have created this arc as a villain just because of her skin color.

So Lsu and Reese used that as fuel. Smart. We did the same thing with burrowhead and it clearly it lit a fire in the team. It’s just odd because what they used as fuel was another teams anger. A lot of that misdirected. I don’t blame her for that or for having a chip on her shoulder. But I think a lot of that anger was unfairly misdirected at a team whose only crime wasn’t being disrespectful, just cocky in a good way.

kccrow 04-03-2023 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkDavis'Haircut (Post 16887158)
She won the national championship and she is playing the victim.

Probably because Clark was the best player on the floor again and it wasn't close. Reese was maybe the 5th best. She gotta have somethin.

chiefzilla1501 04-03-2023 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 16887201)
Probably because Clark was the best player on the floor again and it wasn't close. Reese was maybe the 5th best. She gotta have somethin.

Eh, I think the whole team was fed a lot of bait and they used it as fuel. I don’t hate the player as much as I hate the game

ARROW2 04-03-2023 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocotillo (Post 16887121)

Uh.........no.

ARROW2 04-03-2023 07:12 AM

The taunting. Much ado about nothing. Don't dish if you can't take. PERIOD

jettio 04-03-2023 07:17 AM

Seems similar to JuJu clowning with sharing the NFL Memes valentine on James Bradberry except JuJu knew he was just clowning and making a little Twitter money. This LSU player thinks she did it to advance something or other. She is wacky.

tredadda 04-03-2023 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 16886842)

What's the problem with billionaires subsidizing a league for growing interest in the game of basketball overall?

Honestly nothing wrong with it. It's their money to spend how they see fit. One does have to wonder how long will it take for this interest to grow enough that they no longer need to be subsidized as it's 26 years old now.

Skyy God 04-03-2023 07:20 AM

Kim Mulkey is an objectively awful human being.

tredadda 04-03-2023 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThyKingdomCome15 (Post 16886918)
Nick had to say that. He has a black wife. I forgive him.

Not true at all. He could have just remained silent on it. He spoke up because he is right. There was nothing wrong with what she did. Players in all sports at all levels do stuff like this all the time.

chiefzilla1501 04-03-2023 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tredadda (Post 16887218)
Honestly nothing wrong with it. It's their money to spend how they see fit. One does have to wonder how long will it take for this interest to grow enough that they no longer need to be subsidized as it's 26 years old now.

I think rams fan has it right. Even if it’s not profitable it’s probably worth keeping around. If I had a guess, wnba inspires young kids to play basketball, then as they grow older they start following the nba and give less of a shit about the wnba.

It’ll actually be interesting to see if paying players moves the needle. It means nothing to the nba where pros dominate sponsorships. But college women’s bball is undoubtedly more popular than the wnba and it seems more popular than ever. Part of caitlin Clark’s recent fame is because she’s well marketed. You wonder if that carries through to the wnba even just a little bit.

MarkDavis'Haircut 04-03-2023 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unBelizable (Post 16887219)
Kim Mulkey is an objectively awful human being.

She has actually been to Belize.

MarkDavis'Haircut 04-03-2023 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 16887249)
I think rams fan has it right. Even if it’s not profitable it’s probably worth keeping around. If I had a guess, wnba inspires young kids to play basketball, then as they grow older they start following the nba and give less of a shit about the wnba.

It’ll actually be interesting to see if paying players moves the needle. It means nothing to the nba where pros dominate sponsorships. But college women’s bball is undoubtedly more popular than the wnba and it seems more popular than ever. Part of caitlin Clark’s recent fame is because she’s well marketed. You wonder if that carries through to the wnba even just a little bit.

Actually, youth participation in women's basketball has been down compared to softball and volleyball.

SAGA45 04-03-2023 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARROW2 (Post 16887093)

No. She just looks like Ben Stiller.

BleedingRed 04-03-2023 08:18 AM

Oooof this thread did deliver... Not what some where expecting but wow

tredadda 04-03-2023 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 16887249)

Oh, I am not arguing the merits of it being around or not. I am just curious if it will ever be profitable enough to stand on it's own without subsidization. It's 26 years old and still struggling.

Regarding the popularity of women's basketball, is it more popular? Or was it a product of the tournament ala the World Cup? Perhaps it is more popular than the WNBA.

IowaHawkeyeChief 04-03-2023 08:27 AM

Quote:

LMAO...Caitlin did it after the Louisville game after the Louisville player had done it to them during the game. Caitlin did it from long distance for literally 1 second. Caitlin didn't gesture towards the LSU players at all on Sunday, but the LSU player literally followed her around the court for 10-15 seconds in arms reach trying to get literally in her face. It's not a black or white issue, if Caitlin would have did the same, I would have been embarrassed.

ChiTown 04-03-2023 08:35 AM

This thread is a perfect example as to why the offseason on this Board sucks.....o:-)

chiefzilla1501 04-03-2023 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tredadda (Post 16887286)
Oh, I am not arguing the merits of it being around or not. I am just curious if it will ever be profitable enough to stand on it's own without subsidization. It's 26 years old and still struggling.

Regarding the popularity of women's basketball, is it more popular? Or was it a product of the tournament ala the World Cup? Perhaps it is more popular than the WNBA.

For sure, which is why I buy into rams fans idea that it doesn’t make money but the nba owners feel they need to subsidize it anyway because even if it’s not bottom line profitable it probably helps the league more than it hurts.I don’t know that it ever will make money. As I’ve said I think a lot of the popularity of the league is contrived.

It does seem like college women’s bball is surging. I don’t think it’s even a question it’s more popular than the wnba. It seems with women’s sports interest peaks in college then plummets in the pros. That includes a uswnt that has wild popularity but has struggled to find interest in a women’s pro soccer league that features the same players. I think a lot of that has to do with the tournament style of play but it also helps that ESPN is in the SECs back pocket and they’ve been pushing hard for women’s sports like softball and college bball. Even they seem to recognize that money is to be made in women’s college but not in the pros.

BleedingRed 04-03-2023 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 16887299)
This thread is a perfect example as to why the offseason on this Board sucks.....o:-)

THAT WHAT I SAID!!! BUT NOOOO WOOOMAN SPORTS SHIT TALKING....

The Franchise 04-03-2023 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief (Post 16887291)
LMAO...Caitlin did it after the Louisville game after the Louisville player had done it to them during the game. Caitlin did it from long distance for literally 1 second. Caitlin didn't gesture towards the LSU players at all on Sunday, but the LSU player literally followed her around the court for 10-15 seconds in arms reach trying to get literally in her face. It's not a black or white issue, if Caitlin would have did the same, I would have been embarrassed.

It’s not a black and white issue guys.

Also…before this happened.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief (Post 16886601)
3 minority officials, Iowa with 5 all white starters...

Iowanian 04-03-2023 08:51 AM

Clarke will make Millions on her NIL, because of her play and personality.

No one will remember Angel Reese's name in 3 months.

I wish the Hawks would have won, and while there are head-scratchers from the game, when you lose by that many you have to credit the performance of the other team.

BigCatDaddy 04-03-2023 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 16887313)

Yeah, it pretty much is.

The eye lash girl was mad the white girls beat SC. I'm sure their was a lot of jealousy about how popular Caitlin was becoming in a sport typically dominated by African Americans.

MarkDavis'Haircut 04-03-2023 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 16887415)
Yeah, it pretty much is.

The eye lash girl was mad the white girls beat SC. I'm sure their was a lot of jealousy about how popular Caitlin was becoming in a sport typically dominated by African Americans.

The unspoken truth that no one wants to admit.

IowaHawkeyeChief 04-03-2023 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 16887313)

That was about officiating... How else do you explain the ridiculous calls... Unconscious bias is a thing, right?

On the other situation, If Caitlin would have followed the Louisville player around the court doing that gesture for 10-15 seconds while the clock was ticking down would she have been criticized by the media... absolutely.

ghak99 04-03-2023 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 16886985)

Unfortunately, I think the race card was played before this game even happened, and it wasn't by a player. A player stalk taunting another around the court post game was just a continuance of the previous discussion. It very much fits your secondary eduction comment quite well though.

Just imagine winning a championship and still having your actions controlled by someone on the other team. It's kind of sad. You'd think you'd turn to your own team to enjoy the moment and maybe even congratulate Carson for showing up and absolutely draining threes on the biggest stage they have.

It was something.

UChieffyBugger 04-03-2023 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian (Post 16887321)
Clarke will make Millions on her NIL, because of her play and personality.

No one will remember Angel Reese's name in 3 months.

I wish the Hawks would have won, and while there are head-scratchers from the game, when you lose by that many you have to credit the performance of the other team.

Lol Angel is younger than Clark, is a defensive powerhouse, has goat potential as a rebounder and is getting buckets on the other end too so if you haters think she is gonna disappear after whooping Clark's ass you're fooling yourselves ROFL

BigCatDaddy 04-03-2023 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger (Post 16887478)
Lol Angel is younger than Clark, is a defensive powerhouse, has goat potential as a rebounder and is getting buckets on the other end too so if you haters think she is gonna disappear after whooping Clark's ass you're fooling yourselves ROFL

Yeah,, I'm sure this Angel girl is the reason for the record setting ratings LMAO

CaliforniaChief 04-03-2023 10:49 AM

Maybe Caitlin's greatness is most proven by the fact that we're approaching 400 posts and guys are still talking about it.

BigCatDaddy 04-03-2023 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 16887487)
Maybe Caitlin's greatness is most proven by the fact that we're approaching 400 posts and guys are still talking about it.

I said this before. She has people commenting on FB that I'm sure never watch womens basketball. Angel should be thrilled Clark brought in all attention to the womens game instead of hating on her... but she doesn't seem too bright.

chiefzilla1501 04-03-2023 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger (Post 16887478)

She’s going to the wnba where she blends in with the rest of the stars there. She’s not going to differentiate from a diana taurasi or breanna Stewart. Which means barely marketable. Got nothing against her but she’s going to become just another wnba player in a couple of years. The hype around Clarke is something the sport hasn’t seen much of and there actually might be some staying power to it.

UChieffyBugger 04-03-2023 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 16887491)
I said this before. She has people commenting on FB that I'm sure never watch womens basketball. Angel should be thrilled Clark brought in all attention to the womens game instead of hating on her... but she doesn't seem too bright.

Oh look!!..another bigot uses the "you're not smart enough" trope towards a black athlete!!..what a surprise :rolleyes: