ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   MU ****Official 2017 Missouri Tigers Football Thread**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=308853)

BryanBusby 09-23-2017 07:11 PM

Is this stupid ****ing cockbag fired yet?

KChiefs1 09-23-2017 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 13098058)
Is this stupid ****ing cockbag fired yet?

Soon. Very. Soon.

Frazod 09-23-2017 07:40 PM

44 to 7. Wow.

How the **** did they score 7?

Bowser 09-23-2017 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13098101)
44 to 7. Wow.

How the **** did they score 7?

It's a miracle!

KChiefs1 09-23-2017 07:46 PM

****Official 2017 Missouri Tigers Football Thread****

This is about as bad as it can get.

Bob Dole 09-23-2017 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 13098109)
This is about as bad as it can get.

And this is what happens when SJW's rule.

Frazod 09-23-2017 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 13098107)
It's a miracle!

https://y.yarn.co/73ae615f-a872-48ce...screenshot.jpg

Simply Red 09-23-2017 07:55 PM

awful thank god they should be decent at basketball - embarrassing

BryanBusby 09-23-2017 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dole (Post 13098112)

Oh neat, this again.

Yeah we know and that's not the problem with the team. **** off already. This has been discussed to death and it didn't stop them from gathering up 100 mil for stadium upgrades. I wish this shit would automatically get you ****ers beecocked.

Reerun_KC 09-23-2017 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dole (Post 13098112)

Maybe that could protest that losing is unfair and offensive. Butterflies need safe spaces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bowser 09-23-2017 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13098125)
awful thank god they should be decent at basketball - embarrassing

Never thought I would read that sentence this time last year.

Mizzou_8541 09-23-2017 08:11 PM

There is nothing likeable about this team.

They aren’t coached well.
They don’t play hard.
They don’t play together.
They aren’t fundamentally sound.
There is no identity.
They are not coached well.

Nothing about this team is likeable.

Odom has to go, now. Who gives a **** if we lose one single player. Blow it up and start over.

Mizzou_8541 09-23-2017 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 13098144)
Maybe that could protest that losing is unfair and offensive. Butterflies need safe spaces.

J’mon Is a cancer and cares nothing about team success. The sooner he is off the team, the better.

Oh, and he can’t catch the ball.

Reerun_KC 09-23-2017 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou_8541 (Post 13098157)
J’mon Is a cancer and cares nothing about team success. The sooner he is off the team, the better.

Oh, and he can’t catch the ball.

Don't feel bad. Kansas got feel good points today.

BryanBusby 09-23-2017 11:24 PM

I think the best move at this point would be letting Odom finish the year, as bad as he is. Rub the stank of Barry Odom in the true fana faces.

In the mean time, start rounding up candidates no later than November and start replacing the idiot.

His presser was a ****ing joke and he just says a lot of words to be the smartest guy in the room, with nothing tangible attached to those words.

BryanBusby 09-23-2017 11:35 PM

And Lock sucks ass

|Zach| 09-23-2017 11:46 PM

mizzou wyd

Simply Red 09-23-2017 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 13098704)
mizzou wyd

Hi Zach - I hope you're well bro. long time. how are things going?

|Zach| 09-23-2017 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13098724)
Hi Zach - I hope you're well bro. long time. how are things going?

Good man. Thought it would be fun to check in.

Jerm 09-24-2017 12:00 AM

Posters on PM caping for Odom...JFC...:facepalm:

Simply Red 09-24-2017 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 13098729)
Good man. Thought it would be fun to check in.

good to see ya'

Bob Dole 09-24-2017 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 13098135)
Oh neat, this again.

Yeah we know and that's not the problem with the team. **** off already. This has been discussed to death and it didn't stop them from gathering up 100 mil for stadium upgrades. I wish this shit would automatically get you ****ers beecocked.

100 million for stadium upgrades!!!

How is enrollment?

GloryDayz 09-24-2017 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 13098686)
And Lock sucks ass

Oh my, you're an angry elf.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

GloryDayz 09-24-2017 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dole (Post 13098812)
100 million for stadium upgrades!!!

How is enrollment?

It has taken a knee.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Mosbonian 09-24-2017 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 13098135)
Oh neat, this again.

Yeah,....that $100M will go a long way to build a nice addition and help them meet standards of the SEC. But it still hasn't done crap in the way of helping recruit good players.

Part of that is just poor recruiting....and the stench of poor coaching and poor administration.

Quite frankly raising $100M isn't any more an indicator that this university has moved away from that incident....and the student revolt isn't the reason for the pathetic play and poor coaching of this team the last 2 seasons.

But you have to admit that the downward spiral of the Mizzou football team coincided with that incident....and has just been exacerbated by some pretty foolish hires since.

duncan_idaho 09-24-2017 06:48 AM

If Odom doesn't find a way to turn things, he's going to end up 2-10 or 1-11, and I can't see any way he survives into next year, even.

I have to ask... what's it going to take for people pissed off by the protests in 2015 to get over it?

They've completely turned over the administration leadership that was in place.

Some of the players and students involved in the protests are still at Mizzou, but most have moved on. (And you couldn't booted every player on the team unless you wanted to self-impose a death penalty).

Seriously. What's it going to take to get over it?

Al Bundy 09-24-2017 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 13098888)
If Odom doesn't find a way to turn things, he's going to end up 2-10 or 1-11, and I can't see any way he survives into next year, even.

I have to ask... what's it going to take for people pissed off by the protests in 2015 to get over it?

Some of the players and students involved in the protests are still at Mizzou, but most have moved on. (And you couldn't booted every player on the team unless you wanted to self-impose a death penalty).

Middle aged white men who have never faced any kind of racial profiling or injustice are extremely are very sensitive when it comes to having to face that they have it very good in the United States.

Mosbonian 09-24-2017 07:16 AM

Quote:

duncan.....people still talk about what happened at Baylor (the first time not the recent debacle) so I doubt it will ever completely go away.

I think the last vestiges of people talking about it will go away when the MAJOR sports (basketball and football) finally regain some respectability.

Put some pride back in what is on the court and what is on the field and people tend to forget a lot. You have to admit that what we have watched the last few years in regards to football and basketball isn't something to be happy about. So people have to have something/someone to blame and it's easy to point back to that. (Right or wrong....)

Do we have a better AD...absolutely. Does it appear that we could actually have a basketball team worth watching in the winter.....absolutely! That gives me a little hope....but you have to admit that we are a few years away from regaining any respect in football. That has more to do with poor choices in coaching and recruiting than anything else.

I could care less that there is a smaller enrollment this fall....what is sad is watching a less than competitive situation in sports.

No matter what the reason...

patteeu 09-24-2017 07:16 AM

Quote:

A successful football team would be a good start. As long as the team is down, the CS1950 protests and the absurd response from administration (including Gary Pinkel) will be remembered as the beginning of (and possibly catalyst for) the collapse.

Mizzou_8541 09-24-2017 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosbonian (Post 13098914)
duncan.....people still talk about what happened at Baylor (the first time not the recent debacle) so I doubt it will ever completely go away.

I think the last vestiges of people talking about it will go away when the MAJOR sports (basketball and football) finally regain some respectability.

Put some pride back in what is on the court and what is on the field and people tend to forget a lot. You have to admit that what we have watched the last few years in regards to football and basketball isn't something to be happy about. So people have to have something/someone to blame and it's easy to point back to that. (Right or wrong....)

Do we have a better AD...absolutely. Does it appear that we could actually have a basketball team worth watching in the winter.....absolutely! That gives me a little hope....but you have to admit that we are a few years away from regaining any respect in football. That has more to do with poor choices in coaching and recruiting than anything else.

I could care less that there is a smaller enrollment this fall....what is sad is watching a less than competitive situation in sports.

Not to take away from your point, but I believe enrollment is back to normal levels. Or at least applications. Driving now (home from the game) but I’ll see if I can dig it up.

BryanBusby 09-24-2017 07:50 AM

As much as you guys want to kick and flail your feet around, the CS1950 ordeal didn't hurt the sports program.

It didn't hurt them hiring a minority BB coach and pulling together a majorly impressive recruiting class. As much as you snowflakes want to cry, the kids didn't give a shit.

Football was declining before the shit started. Man too bad we couldn't of held strong with are amazing 4-6 record before the protests began.

Yep, the protests really hurt the bad recruiting classes Pinkel had leading up to it. Wait, it didn't.

Dumb protests didn't make them forget football fundaments or turn them into a bizarre "unit"

Footnall protests didn't make Maty Mauk snort coke and put out Drew Lock. University protests aren't why Lock sucks.

An extremely incompetent AD (here's a shocker, also hired before it) couldn't do his job and amazingly enough, still can't.

It hasn't stopped Sterk from raising record figures even after all these boosters alleged they weren't donating anymore. Looks like that wasn't true.

Nobody is denying an impact on the protests overall, but it's not affecting the sports programs, even though you guys really really hope it does.

Jim Sterk is going to make another good hire, you guys will pout because that's all you really want to do in the end, and the football program will get turned around.

Bowser 09-24-2017 07:58 AM

I think the fact of Mizzou football being in the dumpster right now just forces people to want to assign blame as to WHY they're so bad, and the CS1950 shit is the low hanging fruit to that goal. If Mizzou turns it around and wins 8 games next year, not a single person will bring up CS1950 in relation to football again.

duncan_idaho 09-24-2017 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosbonian (Post 13098914)

You mean when one of the players ****ing MURDERED his teammate and the scumbag coach worked like a dog to cover it up, including trying to get all of his players to lie and say the same the poor murdered SOB was a drug dealer?

Or when the university systematically covered up multiple sexual assault allegations, engaged in structured victim blaming, and let the coach run wild in pursuit of wins?

Both are far, far down the road from players joining a protest on their campus and getting basic support from their coaches.

I think the points about success being a key to people getting over it are good. And that it is sticking for those pissed about the lack of success.

Mack Rhoades and R Bowen Loftin were the biggest cancers that have been excised. Rhoades with his ghost man act, lack of work, and terrible handling of things/terrible hires.

gblowfish 09-24-2017 08:50 AM

I was at the game last night. We went to Flat Branch Brewery for a drink and a meal before the game. It was outstanding. Got a bus to the stadium, sat upstairs on the east side at about the 40 yard line, watched the sun go down. Mizzou looked like a Pop Warner Team trying to play Rockhurst. It was brutal. Can't remember a game this bad since Oklahoma beat them 77-0 back when Bob Stull was the coach. The air just had totally left the stadium about four minutes into the game. Mizzou made so many unforced errors, it just looked to me like they were poorly, and I mean POORLY coached.

We left the game after Mizzou's second TD, it was 51-14. By that time there was about 2,000 Auburn fans and about 200 Mizzou fans left in the stadium. We went back to the bus, and the bus supervisor made us wait till the game was over before the bus would leave. People were PISSED OFF. Took us around 45 minutes to get back to our car, got home after Midnight.

One good thing I'll say. Mizzou girls like to wear high hemmed summer dresses with cowboy boots, and they look smokin hot. No shortage of pretty women at Mizzou.

BryanBusby 09-24-2017 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 13099039)
I was at the game last night. We went to Flat Branch Brewery for a drink and a meal before the game. It was outstanding. Got a bus to the stadium, sat upstairs on the east side at about the 40 yard line, watched the sun go down. Mizzou looked like a Pop Warner Team trying to play Rockhurst. It was brutal. Can't remember a game this bad since Oklahoma beat them 77-0 back with Bob Stull was the coach. The air just had totally left the stadium about four minutes into the game. Mizzou made so many unforced errors, it just looked to me like they were poorly, and I mean POORLY coached.

We left the game after Mizzou's second TD, it was 51-14. By that time there was about 2,000 Auburn fans and about 200 Mizzou fans left in the stadium. We went back to the bus, and the bus supervisor made us wait till the game was over before the bus would leave. People were PISSED OFF. Took us around 45 minutes to get back to our car, got home after Midnight.

One good thing I'll say. Mizzou girls like to wear high hemmed summer dresses with cowboy boots, and they look smokin hot. No shortage of pretty women at Mizzou.

Condolences on having to watch a legal abortion take place on that field.

Bowser 09-24-2017 08:57 AM

Flat Branch Brewery is a must stop every time we go see the kid. Great everything there.

Discuss Thrower 09-24-2017 10:02 AM

Quote:

Something like a quarter of the MU faculty protested the firing of Melissa Click and the UM system is still kowtowing to cultural Marxism.

To say things have changed administratively is disingenuous.

Mosbonian 09-24-2017 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 13098949)
As much as you guys want to kick and flail your feet around, the CS1950 ordeal didn't hurt the sports program.

It didn't hurt them hiring a minority BB coach and pulling together a majorly impressive recruiting class. As much as you snowflakes want to cry, the kids didn't give a shit..

That house of cards tumbles if we don't get Michael Porter, Jr.

Mosbonian 09-24-2017 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 13098949)
Nobody is denying an impact on the protests overall, but it's not affecting the sports programs, even though you guys really really hope it does.

Jim Sterk is going to make another good hire, you guys will pout because that's all you really want to do in the end, and the football program will get turned around.

Actually.....your position of anger is just as off as those you rail at for thinking it has caused the downfall.

And yes, you are denying it's impact. And no I really don't want it to...

I hope Sterk makes a good hire this time and turns the major sports around. He started by getting Cuonzo Martin...now let's see if he has to stones to get ride of a guy who is just completely over-matched when it comes to being a head coach at an SEC football team.

Mosbonian 09-24-2017 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 13099010)
You mean when one of the players ****ing MURDERED his teammate and the scumbag coach worked like a dog to cover it up, including trying to get all of his players to lie and say the same the poor murdered SOB was a drug dealer?

Or when the university systematically covered up multiple sexual assault allegations, engaged in structured victim blaming, and let the coach run wild in pursuit of wins?

Both are far, far down the road from players joining a protest on their campus and getting basic support from their coaches.

I think the points about success being a key to people getting over it are good. And that it is sticking for those pissed about the lack of success.

Mack Rhoades and R Bowen Loftin were the biggest cancers that have been excised. Rhoades with his ghost man act, lack of work, and terrible handling of things/terrible hires.

You are right....the comparisons of the events are a poor choice. What I am trying (and rather poorly I admit) to point out is that once an event of enough proportions happens and it brings major news networks to focus on the negatives of your university, people tend to have long memories.

I think Sterk is pulling all the right cords....I just worry that he will give Odom another season before pulling the plug.

'Hamas' Jenkins 09-24-2017 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 13099060)
Flat Branch Brewery is a must stop every time we go see the kid. Great everything there.

I mean, it's good, but it's also really overrated, IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 13099264)
Something like a quarter of the MU faculty protested the firing of Melissa Click and the UM system is still kowtowing to cultural Marxism.

No, it's pretty damned obvious to non-idiots. The President was considered worthless, and the Chancellor was aggressively despised by every department on campus. They were shitcanned, and the new lead administrators have conducted themselves in a competent fashion.

The fact that you'd bring up cultural Marxism in this instance shows how little you know but how much you think you know. Next time, maybe just sit on the sideline.

Prison Bitch 09-24-2017 08:50 PM

Still -4 over KU in Sagarin

-1 at KU

BryanBusby 09-24-2017 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosbonian (Post 13099701)
That house of cards tumbles if we don't get Michael Porter, Jr.

Who gives a shit? As much as you guys want to be angry, kids still want to play at Missouri.

Athletes don't give a **** about a protest. They want to win and be in position to make money as a professional athlete. Nothing more, nothing less.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosbonian (Post 13099725)
Actually.....your position of anger is just as off as those you rail at for thinking it has caused the downfall.

And yes, you are denying it's impact. And no I really don't want it to...

I hope Sterk makes a good hire this time and turns the major sports around. He started by getting Cuonzo Martin...now let's see if he has to stones to get ride of a guy who is just completely over-matched when it comes to being a head coach at an SEC football team.

Anger? Okay, guy.

See above. It's a really ignorant way to break down what has gone wrong.

CS1950 didn't hire Kim Anderson, an AD that choked on his tie mistaking it for a fruit rollup, a bad recruiting idea from Pinkel, a QB snorting lines of coke or a moron true son Head Coach.

The programs were already bad, but keep ****ing that chicken.

I'm not denying that it has impacted Missouri high school graduates with parents making the call where they plan to attend university.

They are one more good hire from your hot take being a moot point.

Discuss Thrower 09-24-2017 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 13103841)

The fact that you'd bring up cultural Marxism in this instance shows how little you know but how much you think you know. Next time, maybe just sit on the sideline.

How dare I insult your hero Terry Eagleton, amirite?

'Hamas' Jenkins 09-24-2017 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 13099264)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 13103906)
How dare I insult your hero Terry Eagleton, amirite?

Yeah, no. I'd suggest you actually read something other than right-wing misinterpretations of the theory before talking about it. But if you want to make an ass out of yourself, that's on you.

Coach 09-24-2017 09:28 PM

I have no dog in this fight, but wanted to hear Mizzou fan opinions. Assuming Odom gets canned after this season, who is on your wish list?

Stanley Nickels 09-24-2017 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach (Post 13104001)
I have no dog in this fight, but wanted to hear Mizzou fan opinions. Assuming Odom gets canned after this season, who is on your wish list?

Coach K

'Hamas' Jenkins 09-24-2017 09:35 PM

Quote:

Mike Bobo was a name I'd heard from some. Others like Frank Wilson at UTSA.

They could consider taking a look at Dave Clawson. Clawson took over a Bowling Green team that was on the cusp of bottoming out and turned them into the best squads since Urban Meyer was there. He then took a job at Wake Forest, and after two 3-9 years, went 7-6 last year and is 4-0 to start the year.

He's 50 and has won everywhere he's been (Fordham, Richmond, BG), and it looks like he might be turning around a historically bad football program.

BryanBusby 09-24-2017 09:37 PM

Bobo will be in high demand.

Coach 09-24-2017 09:46 PM

What's wrong with Les Miles? Other than that his offensive schemes are something from the 1980's, he does produce SEC defenses, does have SEC coaching experience, and recruiting credibility....

bowener 09-24-2017 09:50 PM

Quote:

Hey, man... the food is definitely overrated, but the beer is not. I will be upfront and tell you that I do personally know 75% of the staff (anyone older than 20 that is working there). I'm down for buying you a beer if you ever want one.

I will add that I have degrees in philosophy and sociology, and I'm really not certain how Mizzou could ever possibly be considered "culturally Marxist" or anything close to the Frankfurt school, but it has become a very popular right-wing snarl phrase the last few years.

BryanBusby 09-24-2017 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach (Post 13104069)
What's wrong with Les Miles? Other than that his offensive schemes are something from the 1980's, he does produce SEC defenses, does have SEC coaching experience, and recruiting credibility....

He produced SEC Defenses on the virtue of having a Louisiana pipeline that they only had to fend off Bama for.

Won't get that luxury in Columbia.

Coach 09-24-2017 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 13104083)
He produced SEC Defenses on the virtue of having a Louisiana pipeline that they only had to fend off Bama for.

Won't get that luxury in Columbia.

I do see where you're coming from in that point of view, but he is a good recruiter. I do imagine he does have very solid ties to the Louisiana high schools, something that Odom does not.

Another note, Bobo would be good choice too, because GA is producing good quality players as well.

Bowser 09-24-2017 09:59 PM

Quote:

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/o-rly.gif

In fairness, when we come down it's one of the places the kid loves going to, so we hit it frequently when we're there. That and G&D Steakhouse. I had maybe the best ribeye I've had in years at that cafeteria setup, I shit you not.

I'm open to any suggestions of can't miss restaurants in CoMo (a little change of scenery wouldn't be a bad thing).

bowener 09-24-2017 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 13104089)

In fairness, when we come down it's one of the places the kid loves going to, so we hit it frequently when we're there. That and G&D Steakhouse. I had maybe the best ribeye I've had in years at that cafeteria setup, I shit you not.

I'm open to any suggestions of can't miss restaurants in CoMo (a little change of scenery wouldn't be a bad thing).

Broadway Brewery is a solid slightly more upscale brew pub. 44 canteen is creative, though I hate the guy that owns it. The Barred Owl is pretty great, and has some great ****ing cocktails, though I usually just order a Sazerac. They also tend to have some pretty incredible plates you wont find anywhere local.

BryanBusby 09-25-2017 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach (Post 13104087)
I do see where you're coming from in that point of view, but he is a good recruiter. I do imagine he does have very solid ties to the Louisiana high schools, something that Odom does not.

Another note, Bobo would be good choice too, because GA is producing good quality players as well.

Yes he is. I think they could do much worse than Les Miles, but I don't think there's much left in the tank.

Bobo gonna be fire hot with Tennessee, Klantucky, MU and maybe even Florida will all be coach shopping in the SEC East alone.

Mike in SW-MO 09-25-2017 06:41 AM

Quote:

G&D. Good times.

LOTS OF BEER IN AMERICA!

I still have my t-shirt from the mid 80s. First beer free when you wore your t-shirt. Minute we hit the door they'd be pouring.

duncan_idaho 09-25-2017 08:22 AM

As for coaching replacements, my short list (working off my phone, may miss a guy I like here and there):

Kyle Whittingham (Utah). It seems unlikely Mizzou could lure Whittingham away, but this would be a major coup. His name always seems to come up regarding this football job, not sure why.

He wouldn't be a dynamo recruiter, but his system is sound and he has proven he can win at a Power 5 non-blue blood.

Not sure who in this type of category Mizzou could pull - successful at a Power 5 school that is perhaps more difficult to recruit to than Mizzou - but I'm sure Sterk has a few guys. Gloucester keeps telling me Leach is happy in Washington, but that's a name that I'd think would be considered also.

I've mentioned Frank Wilson and Mike Norvell already. They remain on my list.

I think a big key for Mizzou is that it needs that guy who can be a QB whisperer and make sure you're always stocked at the position. That was a real strength of Pinkel's and one reason the team was so steady, IMO.

gblowfish 09-25-2017 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 13104076)
Hey, man... the food is definitely overrated, but the beer is not. I will be upfront and tell you that I do personally know 75% of the staff (anyone older than 20 that is working there). I'm down for buying you a beer if you ever want one.

I will add that I have degrees in philosophy and sociology, and I'm really not certain how Mizzou could ever possibly be considered "culturally Marxist" or anything close to the Frankfurt school, but it has become a very popular right-wing snarl phrase the last few years.

My meal was very good, and reasonably priced too. It was the best part of my visit. We used to go to Boone Tavern or the Heidelberg or Shiloh.

DJ's left nut 09-25-2017 08:42 AM

Quote:

Flyover recently opened on the south side of town and it's excellent; one of my favorite places. It's a 'shared plates' joint where my wife and I will go get 4-5 different things off the menu and just stuff ourselves. The fried catfish is a must though there are enough rotating items on the menu that you'll be able to get something different every time.

As far as more 'bar' kind of places go, I think Taphouse is one of the best in town. Great bar food; excellent Pizza (they snagged some guys from Wiseguys to set up their pizza recipes/menu), really cool concept with burgers, nachos, sandwiches and fries - you have a checksheet and you just check off boxes of things you want and give them to the waitress. Some of the best homemade chips you'll ever have. Wings are good as well. Billiards on Broadway is an underrated little gem; not a lot of people seem to know about it but it's great. D-Rowe's is also good if you're on the south side.

The old stand-bys are still good but CJ's Wings will be my death row meal if/when that day inevitably comes. CoMo Smoke and Fire is the only barbecue place in town that can stand up to KC; very good and actually do burnt ends correctly as opposed to just dicing up brisket.

Bob Dole 09-25-2017 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou_8541 (Post 13098922)
Not to take away from your point, but I believe enrollment is back to normal levels.

https://www.columbiamissourian.com/n...fcfc9b8f1.html

KCUnited 09-25-2017 08:51 AM

I have nothing to add to this thread other than a friend recently sent me a couple Rock Bridge Brewing Co milk stout cans out of Columbia which I enjoyed more than I expected to. Would likely seek them out if I lived in the area.

DJ's left nut 09-25-2017 08:52 AM

Heard an interesting point made that seems like a fair position - Gary Barnett claims that year 2 is the toughest for a coach. You've lost some of the 'rally around the new coach' stuff that can accompany year 1; the novelty has worn off. You also have upper-classman that were heavily involved in the old coach's system and now some of the under-classmen that are the new coach's guys are either eating into their playing time or taking their jobs outright so you get cliques in the locker room.

And let's face it, while CS1950 may not be impacting recruiting, it DID split that lockerroom and that's been well established. Ivey's guys were kinda leading that charge and many of them are still around. Meanwhile Ivey got axed by Odom (likely at least in part to what many perceived as a mutiny led by Ivey) so it wouldn't be surprising if the players he was particularly close to in '15 are grumbling loudly these days.

Now winning would've cured all that but when you have a locker-room that was already a bit fractious, losing sure puts strain on it. Add in that 'year 2' tension and perhaps these guys just haven't found a rallying point to bring the team together.

They're playing like a team that doesn't really like each other very much. You don't see them picking up slack or playing with any sense of cohesion. It may just be a talent gap but I don't think this is the least talented team we've seen in Columbia in 25 years (far from it, in fact). Yet they're playing like the worst team we've had since Stull.

At this point I'm leaning towards giving Odom year 3. I think I buy into Barnett's contention here that this should be the toughest task Odom faces. If there was a way to save the ShowMe18 class, I'd perhaps be in a greater rush but that ship has sailed. If you're going to get those guys, it's going to be based on familiarity with THIS staff and improvements in facilities. Canning Odom will only make the '18 class fall apart that much sooner.

So you take your hail mary and give him '18, IMO.

gblowfish 09-25-2017 09:19 AM

From what I saw in the Auburn game, this was an extremely poorly coached team. I say whack him, can't get any worse.

DJ's left nut 09-25-2017 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 13104624)
From what I saw in the Auburn game, this was an extremely poorly coached team. I say whack him, can't get any worse.

But oddly, isn't that as good a justification to keep him? I mean the guy's paid for. And the absolute unquestioned, by far best case scenario is that Barry Odom, who is Mizzou through and through, succeeds with this program.

We've already eaten the shit sandwich here, lads. Might as well see if there's even a 5% chance that he recovers and actually pushes us near the best case scenario outcomes we'd envisioned.

Because if you do fire him and let's say you get the #1 guy on your list (let's say you get Wittingham or Bobo), you're really just setting yourself up for the realization that this isn't either of those guy's destination jobs and they'll leave if they get to 8-9 wins and a better gig.

And for what gain? So you can get the guy that just happens to be THIS year's top property? As though there won't be someone available just like him next year? So you can get moving 1 year earlier on a rebuild?

It's funny, but the fall off has been so fast and so precipitous that you can really use it as justification for riding it out for another year just to see he can capitalize on the possibilities you saw when you hired him. Afterall - I'm not sure there's any more long-term damage that can be done by another year with him at the helm.

gblowfish 09-25-2017 10:06 AM

They may want to tolerate him in Columbia, but every single Mizzou fan I know here in KC wants the guy gone.

DJ's left nut 09-25-2017 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 13104707)
They may want to tolerate him in Columbia, but every single Mizzou fan I know here in KC wants the guy gone.

Sure - that's always the reaction to a shit season.

But again - to what purpose and at what cost? The benefit would be to start a rebuild one year earlier. The cost is almost certainly any remaining shot at securing a couple of key gets out of the ShowMe18 class and punting on the only 'trueson' with legitimate long-term coaching potential. If you don't make Odom work, you're just going to be going through 'stepping stone' hires for the next decade and hoping that you stumble into another Pinkel (who, BTW, every Mizzou fan also wanted gone at various points throughout his tenure).

I do not believe Barry Odom will be a failure over a long enough timeline. He will be a good coach somewhere. If it's here, he's our guy for 25 years and can truly transform a program. I hate that we couldn't get a more seasoned version of him but it is what it is. Might as well do the seasoning in house now.

At this point the upside, no matter how remote, probably justifies the relatively small gains we get by firing him this off-season. I just don't see a Tom Herman kind of option available this year (and Herman told us no anyway). So when the best options are just the same kind of options that exist every season, I see no reason to hurry into a move.

Stanley Nickels 09-25-2017 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 13104718)
Sure - that's always the reaction to a shit season.

But again - to what purpose and at what cost? The benefit would be to start a rebuild one year earlier. The cost is almost certainly any remaining shot at securing a couple of key gets out of the ShowMe18 class and punting on the only 'trueson' with legitimate long-term coaching potential. If you don't make Odom work, you're just going to be going through 'stepping stone' hires for the next decade and hoping that you stumble into another Pinkel (who, BTW, every Mizzou fan also wanted gone at various points throughout his tenure).

I do not believe Barry Odom will be a failure over a long enough timeline. He will be a good coach somewhere. If it's here, he's our guy for 25 years and can truly transform a program. I hate that we couldn't get a more seasoned version of him but it is what it is. Might as well do the seasoning in house now.

At this point the upside, no matter how remote, probably justifies the relatively small gains we get by firing him this off-season. I just don't see a Tom Herman kind of option available this year (and Herman told us no anyway). So when the best options are just the same kind of options that exist every season, I see no reason to hurry into a move.

I'd agree with you if we were in any other conference, save maybe the Big 10. Throwing a guy into the SEC to learn is like throwing a blue-chip rookie pitcher into the majors because "he'll get there one day anyway"-- the wallopings just hurt confidence, and the competition is too many steps ahead to truly learn any lessons.

Also, Sterk is not in the position of being able to wait around while Odom learns-- there's just too many impatient rich folks with too much clout to let that go on, and money drives everything. Would that we could pack the house every week regardless of record; we just aren't that type of program.

BryanBusby 09-25-2017 10:22 AM

You have to be ****ing high to give Odom a third year after going what's likely to be 2-10.

If you're trying to be a football power house, 2-10 can never ever ever be tolerated. Ever.

As for a locker room split, we had like one "anonymous" player from 2015 saying that? I'm not sure if that's a thing 2 years later, but hey who knows.

From what I can see, I don't see a whole lot of active coaching. Guys are just standing around bullshitting or sittinf with a finger in their ass. I can't recall much live teaching taking place.

To be a force in the SEC with a so-so recruiting result, you have to be fundamentally sound top to bottom. Odom's squad can't stop steppingon their own dicks.

And finally, coaches go to places all the time not expecting to stay with a better job offer down the line and end up staying. I'd be amazed if Pinkel wasn't aiming for higher.

You pay the guy you want to keep really well, along with his staff and give him the beat resources to win. Sure that's not going to fend off a Bama or a Ohio State, but blueblood jobs don't come open often.

Jerm 09-25-2017 10:30 AM

Quote:

Greg Schiano is the first call I'm making...I'm sure he'll have a better offer though.

DJ's left nut 09-25-2017 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanley Nickels (Post 13104731)
I'd agree with you if we were in any other conference, save maybe the Big 10. Throwing a guy into the SEC to learn is like throwing a blue-chip rookie pitcher into the majors because "he'll get there one day anyway"-- the wallopings just hurt confidence, and the competition is too many steps ahead to truly learn any lessons.

Also, Sterk is not in the position of being able to wait around while Odom learns-- there's just too many impatient rich folks with too much clout to let that go on, and money drives everything. Would that we could pack the house every week regardless of record; we just aren't that type of program.

Sure he is - Sterk has earned a shitload of rope with the rich guys through the Martin hire and basketball momentum and the speed at which he got the south end zone project done.

Remember - facilities races are as important in the long-term success of a program as any single season record (or several seasons). Sterk getting the South End Zone done so suddenly is going to get him plenty of time. He's going to get at least one football hire - firing Odom now or in '18 won't make a difference.

Perhaps you're right - maybe being in the SEC is just so far over his ability right now that he's not learning anything. But people would've said that about Danny Duffy, no? But he was learning even if he was woefully overmatched early on. And even if it turns out that you're right, I just don't see much harm in letting him prove it fully and finally.

DJ's left nut 09-25-2017 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerm (Post 13104746)
Greg Schiano is the first call I'm making...I'm sure he'll have a better offer though.

**** that.

I'll root for 2 win football teams before I root for Greg ****ing Schiano. If you want that asshole coaching this team then it's quite apparent that you're little more than a bumper sticker fan.

I will drop my football tickets in a heartbeat if they hire that mother****er.

DJ's left nut 09-25-2017 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 13104733)
You have to be ****ing high to give Odom a third year after going what's likely to be 2-10.

If you're trying to be a football power house, 2-10 can never ever ever be tolerated. Ever.

Eh, fanspeak. Change for the sake of change doesn't impress me, nor does aggrandizing or 'tough talk'.

Quote:

As for a locker room split, we had like one "anonymous" player from 2015 saying that? I'm not sure if that's a thing 2 years later, but hey who knows.
Um....no. I suspect you need to brush up a bit. No, this wasn't one 'anonymous' player.

Quote:

From what I can see, I don't see a whole lot of active coaching. Guys are just standing around bullshitting or sittinf with a finger in their ass. I can't recall much live teaching taking place.
Sadly, I'm there every week and no, they're working at it. But ultimately what the hell kind of 'coaching' do you think ever happens mid-game? They aren't working on the finer points of technique and no, they aren't just letting guys suck and ignoring it. The staff is constantly talking to them but for whatever reason it isn't working.

Quote:

To be a force in the SEC with a so-so recruiting result, you have to be fundamentally sound top to bottom. Odom's squad can't stop steppingon their own dicks.
Correct. They aren't playing cohesively. You can offer truisms "you have to be fundamentally sound" or you can try to root source it. "ODOM SUCKS!!!" isn't much of a root source. I mean we know this guy can coach a defense - his D set SEC records as a coordinator. Yet the defense is failing badly. He didn't forget how to coach defense but there's something underlying this whole thing. To me, that almost has to be a team that's not playing for each other and yes, the '2nd year coach' thing can help explain that.

Quote:

And finally, coaches go to places all the time not expecting to stay with a better job offer down the line and end up staying. I'd be amazed if Pinkel wasn't aiming for higher.

You pay the guy you want to keep really well, along with his staff and give him the beat resources to win. Sure that's not going to fend off a Bama or a Ohio State, but blueblood jobs don't come open often.
True. But mid-major coaches with success are available every single season. There will always be another Bobo. There will always be another Wittingham. I just don't see anyone worth falling ourselves over to go get. If someone opened up that I thought was a unique situation - sure, pull the trigger on Odom and get him.

But I just don't see the upshot on those guys - they're just this year's hot target. There will be another one next year. The guy MIGHT be another Gunther Cunningham (and he might be; I didn't care for the number of 'I statements' in that post-game presser where he seemed largely unhinged), but I'm not completely convinced of it yet and I see little actual harm in establishing that.

This team isn't going to get further away than where it is now.

Stanley Nickels 09-25-2017 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 13104762)
Sure he is - Sterk has earned a shitload of rope with the rich guys through the Martin hire and basketball momentum and the speed at which he got the south end zone project done.

Agree on both points, but it could also be said that the boosters now know the results this guy can produce when tasked with a big hire/undertaking like finding a new coach. If I'm a booster, the Martin hire just makes me salivate harder for a similar hire and hopefully a similar aggressive turnaround. On the other hand, your point is also well taken in that, if Sterk voices confidence in Odom, those same boosters trust his judgment and intuition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 13104762)
Perhaps you're right - maybe being in the SEC is just so far over his ability right now that he's not learning anything. But people would've said that about Danny Duffy, no? But he was learning even if he was woefully overmatched early on. And even if it turns out that you're right, I just don't see much harm in letting him prove it fully and finally.

A good example, but anecdotal-- Duffy was an exception, and there are plenty of Royals pitchers who didn't make it in similar situations. Fair point, though. Probably also a bad analogy on my end, as the consequences of being overmatched are completely different for a single pitcher than the veritable CEO of a football team.

FTR, I do hope Odom exceeds, and I don't see him as Kim Anderson 2.0. With Anderson, I got no sense of an underlying, true winner's mentality like I do with Odom. I think ultimately his future rests completely in the hands of Sterk for the reasons above-- if Sterk thinks he can right this ship, the boosters will likely support him.

BryanBusby 09-25-2017 11:06 AM

I think its been well-established that MU is aiming to be a football power house. Fan speak? You're not changing for the sake of change, you're changing because the program has bottomed out and the team has quit on the guy in charge. I have no idea where you are going here.

To put another stiff on the sideline? No. You got a really good AD on campus, let him do his magic. He knows what the **** he is doing and can absolutely get things turned around.

Your logic is completely baffling and is quite parallel to the batshit reasoning for keeping Kim Anderson for as long as they did.

You make the move asap because you've got to make ****ing money and there isn't money to be had with empty seats.

I haven't seen anything official about a rift beyond one article from around the time the team threatened to strike, so you're welcome to link articles that would say otherwise.

What I'm saying is a locker room rift doesn't suddenly make a guy forget basic fundamentals of playing football. This team can't do the most basic of shit.

I think you're dismissing the amount of coaching you can do on the sidelnes an awful lot.

Being a successful Head Coach takes more than being able to coach a Defense. It's the difference of being a bean counter and an executive.

Coaching depends a lot on having the right underlings in place to do the job right, which is something he failed spectacularly at. I don't think he's a detail orientated guy anywhere close to what Pinkel was.

Pinkel came in with a plan and a vision and sold it to the program top to bottom. Odom came in trying to copy that plan as well as he could.

The best and arguably only great move you could say Odom made was getting rid of the Offensive Line coach, which was a no ****in brainer.

And to cap, ah yeah this team can get further away. The longer Barry is around the more shit the next guy will have to shovel out.

BryanBusby 09-25-2017 11:10 AM

Barry Odom is on a level equivalent to Herm Edwards, Kim Anderson and Romeo Crennel.

Romeo Crennel had some amazing Defenses too. But hey, who ****ing cares?

Sometimes you just have to be willing to flush the ****ing turd before the whole room begins to stink.

DJ's left nut 09-25-2017 01:05 PM

All three of those guys were past their prime, established mediocrity.

Anderson, in particular, was a guy that would've been hired by NOBODY at the Division I level apart from the University of Missouri. That's the critical question - was this person hired because he was a good coaching candidate or was he hired because he was a True Son?

Anderson was an old red-ass with no upside and no resume. His only job experience in D1 was a clear and unqualified failure as Norm's 2nd in command. There was never any reason to expect he would succeed and there was never any reason to think he might improve.

That's a different animal than Odom, who would've been hired by a D1 school, though admittedly not likely a Power 5 program (though I do believe he'd have earned a P5 job within 5 years).

Yes, this is all damning with faint praise, but I still think there's ability and potential there with Odom. And IF that ability and potential can be realized here, it's better than anything we're likely to do as an alternative to Odom.

Jerm 09-25-2017 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 13104763)
**** that.

I'll root for 2 win football teams before I root for Greg ****ing Schiano. If you want that asshole coaching this team then it's quite apparent that you're little more than a bumper sticker fan.

I will drop my football tickets in a heartbeat if they hire that mother****er.

https://media.giphy.com/media/jUwpNzg9IcyrK/giphy.gif

BryanBusby 09-25-2017 01:12 PM

I don't think Odom is a total lost cause, but he's not going to rebound here at Mizzou. Once he's lost the locker room it's gone and I think it's a fair bet to say he has lost it.

He still has a shot, but needs to step down and reflect on what he did wrong, what wasn't his fault and take a low pressure gig to try and find his own method that works.

Sterk has made progress here already and has a good track record at SDSU. He should get his shot at getting his own guy in place for football.

I'm confident he knows what he's doimg and having successful major sports programs will go a long way to get the University back to where it should be.

DJ's left nut 09-25-2017 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 13105124)
I don't think Odom is a total lost cause, but he's not going to rebound here at Mizzou. Once he's lost the locker room it's gone and I think it's a fair bet to say he has lost it.

He still has a shot, but needs to step down and reflect on what he did wrong, what wasn't his fault and take a low pressure gig to try and find his own method that works.

Sterk has made progress here already and has a good track record at SDSU. He should get his shot at getting his own guy in place for football.

I'm confident he knows what he's doimg and having successful major sports programs will go a long way to get the University back to where it should be.

If I were confident that he's truly lost the room, I'd agree with you. I agree that it's damn near impossible to recapture a team. And prior to really thinking about it, I'd have probably said the same thing.

But I really did like Barnett's explanation and it made a ton of sense, especially when combined with the fact that the football team wasn't exactly one big happy family when he took it over. Then you combine that with Kuligowski shitting in the well on his way out the door (and the fact that he blamed Odom for his leaving), Steck's popularity with the squad and his subsequent departure AND the whole Pat Ivey mess plus the fact that there are still folks on this team that didn't really sign up to play for Odom....damn man, I just can't get to 'this guy's completely hopeless' yet.

There are some odd circumstances that surrounded his arrival, his promotion, his SECOND promotion and finally the departure of other guys that were here like Kuligowski, Steck and Ivey. Combine with his noob status and it's just hard to act like this team should be as good as I expected it to be. Again - I thought these damn guys would win 8-9 and could take the East. I'm as flummoxed by this as anyone. But I also have to consider the possibility that I was just a wild-eyed optimist.

Like I said, you may well be right. And if they continue to just take dumps on the field every week I may have to give up as well. But again - I just don't see it as being so obvious or the alternatives so outstanding as to force Sterk's hand.

Though there is something to be said for your point that Sterk's track record suggests that he deserves a football hire. Those are legacy moves and at some point, especially if Martin is the home run that it appears to be, Sterk probably does deserve an opportunity to install his own guy. But man, I hate cutting a good man's throat to effectuate it.

In hindsight I guess you just promote Steckel and his relatively short shelf life then you tell Odom to take the Memphis job and call us in 5 years.