ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Star Wars Episode IX - SPOILER THREAD (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=327416)

Hammock Parties 01-05-2020 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 14694703)
I haven’t heard this from anyone I know but since everyone’s still on holiday break, I haven’t reached out to confirm one way or another. That said, it feels like fake news to me.

Why would Iger and/or Horn demand that RoS be edited to 2 hours when Avengers: Endgame was 3 hours long and only became the highest grossing film of all time?

Already confirmed by Dominic Monagahan.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-a9270356.html

DaneMcCloud 01-05-2020 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 14697480)
Already confirmed by Dominic Monagahan.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-a9270356.html

Confirmed? No, not even close.

From your link, which paraphrased the original interview conducted by The Hollywood Reporter:

While Monaghan didn’t speak to these latest conspiracy theories, he does wish for the release of a director’s cut given the sheer volume of unused footage that Abrams shot.

“Like a lot of Star Wars fans, I’m hoping there will be a director’s cut so we’ll get to see more and more of the stuff that was filmed,” Monaghan tells The Hollywood Reporter. “I wasn’t there all the time, but even in the short time that I was there, there was so much stuff filmed that didn’t make it to the theatrical version.... Oh, man, there was so much stuff!”

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...-s-cut-1266205

Of COURSE there's a ton of footage that didn't make it into the movie. That's how movies generally work: You film everything, including alternate takes, then edit the film together in the Edit Bay.

That does not mean that JJ (or anyone else) created a definitive 2 hour, 40 minute version that the studio summarily dismissed, then forced JJ (or anyone else) to edit to 2 hours, 22 minutes.

It's just a bunch of internet "conspiracy theory" nonsense.

Stryker 01-05-2020 08:15 PM

To be honest, I understand all of the views here. Personally, I enjoyed the shit out of this movie vs. the previous 2. It's a movie. I was entertained and I LOVED it. To hell with the plot holes, I was entertained and I will go see it again. There are so very many plot holes it is not even funny but, I really enjoyed this one. Last best Star Wars movie was Rouge One hands down. Just my ,02

Hammock Parties 01-05-2020 08:50 PM

I'm not surprised that someone that called it "Rouge One" thinks Episode IX was worth shit.

fairladyZ 01-06-2020 12:05 AM

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertain...ey-again.html/

Mephistopheles Janx 01-06-2020 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 14688064)
Outside of Anakin, we've never heard tale of ANY Sith OR Jedi having sex.

What about:

Ranik Solusar, Jedi Master, was the father of Kam Solusar who became a Jedi Knight.

Ta'ania was the illegitimate descendant of a Jedi Knight.

Margolis Mingla was the daughter of a Jedi Knight.

Ki-Adi-Mundi was given permission to marry and have kids (though an exception as his race was near extinction).

There was the whole "Children of the Jedi" which has been blown up by Disney.

Leia had Anakin, Jaina, and Jacin. (Had Ben Solo in the new universe)

Luke and Mara had Ben Skywalker and possibly another kid.

Jacen Solo (Jedi/Sith) and Tenel Ka Djo had Allana Solo.

Hammock Parties 01-06-2020 12:39 AM

****ing nerd.

Mephistopheles Janx 01-06-2020 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 14700702)
****ing nerd.

****ing Sith. "Outside of Anakin, we've never heard tale of ANY Sith OR Jedi having sex."

https://external-content.duckduckgo....restricted.gif

Hammock Parties 01-06-2020 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MephistophelesJanx (Post 14701687)
****ing Sith. "Outside of Anakin, we've never heard tale of ANY Sith OR Jedi having sex."

https://external-content.duckduckgo....restricted.gif

All that shit you posted is irrelevant minutiae never seen in a movie or TV show.

And the main characters reproducing certainly doesn't mean anything as they aren't really "traditional" Jedi.

Point stands. Palps clapping cheeks is dumb. No precedent for it.

Mephistopheles Janx 01-06-2020 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 14701706)
All that shit you posted is irrelevant minutiae never seen in a movie or TV show.

And the main characters reproducing certainly doesn't mean anything as they aren't really "traditional" Jedi.

Point stands. Palps clapping cheeks is dumb. No precedent for it.

You state... "we've never heard tale of ANY Sith OR Jedi having sex."

I give examples of exactly that happening throughout the EU (yes... no longer cannon, I know).

Now those examples of Jedi/Sith doing exactly that is minutia because we didn't see it happen on a movie or tv show but instead happened in comics and novels?

Never is a strong word for it happening several times throughout Jedi history.

---

Dude wanted stress relief and had his minions bring him a slave girl as needed. Did he take someone as a lover? Probably not. Did he use a slave girl as a **** toy? Yeah... I can see that as Sith use violence and passion (among other things) to fuel their power.

Hammock Parties 01-06-2020 03:47 PM

Yeah, just not believable at all, sorry.

And you had to dig deep and found 0 Sith.

Fail.

Mephistopheles Janx 01-06-2020 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 14701773)
Yeah, just not believable at all, sorry.

And you had to dig deep and found 0 Sith.

Fail.

ummm

"Veradun discovered the Twi'lek slave girl Eleena Daru and took her as his own. Although she was technically his slave, the two fell in love with one another and fought side by side in many battles during the Great Galactic War against the Galactic Republic. Veradun later eschewed his birth name and adopted the Sith moniker of Darth Malgus."

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Darth_Malgus

DaneMcCloud 01-06-2020 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MephistophelesJanx (Post 14701808)
ummm

"Veradun discovered the Twi'lek slave girl Eleena Daru and took her as his own. Although she was technically his slave, the two fell in love with one another and fought side by side in many battles during the Great Galactic War against the Galactic Republic. Veradun later eschewed his birth name and adopted the Sith moniker of Darth Malgus."

FYI, all of the old EU is no longer canon and is now categorized as Legends.

That doesn't mean that future stories won't pull from the EU but unless they do, it's all null.

Jamie 01-06-2020 04:21 PM

It's honestly kind of bizarre to assume Sith don't have sex by default. I think it's safe to assume adult characters do normal things unless something is presented to the contrary. Like, they never showed Palpatine take a shit, but it's probably safe to assume he did.

Hammock Parties 01-06-2020 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 14701852)
It's honestly kind of bizarre to assume Sith don't have sex by default.

It's kind of bizarre to assume they do.

They have better things to do.

This is the entire character of the most well known Sith ever, Vader.

Padme made him WEAK.

Bl00dyBizkitz 01-06-2020 04:45 PM

Finally saw it yesterday. Heard mixed things from a bunch of people, one of my closest friends absolutely hates it.

Gotta say, I was pretty disappointed. Not even just about plot-related stuff, the first 15 minutes were horribly paced. The editor kept cutting between 4 different situations with different people. It was just jumbled and confusing. And it continued as the film went on, you could hardly attach yourself to any one setting and get a feel for the people and the area before you're on the move again to the next scene.

Mephistopheles Janx 01-06-2020 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 14701828)
FYI, all of the old EU is no longer canon and is now categorized as Legends.

That doesn't mean that future stories won't pull from the EU but unless they do, it's all null.

I'm aware...

Quote:

Originally Posted by MephistophelesJanx (Post 14701770)
I give examples of exactly that happening throughout the EU (yes... no longer cannon, I know).

... but the new Disney universe doesn't exactly have a derth of cannon backstory. Star Wars, as of now, is a 10 hectare lake that is is 3 inches deep. In terms of the believability of a Jedi/Sith getting it on I believe those Legends stories still lend credence to the behaviour of these people when being asked for examples on " tales of ANY Sith OR Jedi having sex".

Hammock Parties 01-06-2020 05:37 PM

And you still didn't bring up any Sith...

...sorry, EVERYTHING we know about the Sith flies in the face of this.

Otherwise, why wasn't Palps breeding like a ****ing rabbit to create a goddamn dynasty of sith kiddos?

****ing stupid and unbelievable.

They wrote themselves into a corner, though, and their way out was THIS SHEEV ****S!!!

Mephistopheles Janx 01-06-2020 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 14702047)
And you still didn't bring up any Sith...

I didn't? Mind you... your original statement was Sith *OR* Jedi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MephistophelesJanx (Post 14701808)
ummm

In fact... he killed her because the Jedi believed her to be his weakness.

"However, Malgus realized his worst fears and his experience with Aryn changed him for good. He realized that Daru was his weakness just like the Jedi. He could no longer afford this weakness. Therefore, he killed his only friend and freed himself from the shackles of emotions.[3]"

Now... it doesn't explicitly state they ****ed but c'mon now.

Hammock Parties 01-06-2020 05:48 PM

So the best example you can find is some dude ****ing BEFORE he was Sith...and then killing her BECAUSE THEY ***MAYBE*** ****ED...WHICH IS EXACTLY WHAT I'M SAYING

See how flimsy it is...

Mephistopheles Janx 01-06-2020 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 14702071)
So the best example you can find is some dude ****ing BEFORE he was Sith.

See how flimsy it is...

ummm no. He was a Sith first. Are you even clicking the link?

"While still young, Veradun killed a Twi'lek servant on his father's estate, revealing the dark will behind his sensitivity to the Force. The young boy was subsequently sent to the Sith Academy on the Imperial capital of Dromund Kaas, where he became a Sith Warrior and a successful commander of the Imperial Military. During a trip to the Outer Rim world of Geonosis, Veradun discovered the Twi'lek slave girl Eleena Daru and took her as his own. Although she was technically his slave, the two fell in love with one another and fought side by side in many battles during the Great Galactic War against the Galactic Republic. Veradun later eschewed his birth name and adopted the Sith moniker of Darth Malgus."

". Although she remained his slave, the two became lovers[3] and he eventually came to treat her as a wife,[1] despite the Empire's anti-alien policies.[3]"

The bold happened first, the red happened second.

Hammock Parties 01-06-2020 05:52 PM

"Send the fleet to the far side of Endor...there it will stay until called for..."

"what of the reports of the Rebel fleet massing near Sullust?"

"it is of no concern...soon the Rebellion will be crushed and young Skywalker will be one of us....Your work here is finished, my friend. Go to the command ship and await my orders."

"Now someone bring me a slave girl, i need to nut!"

LMAO

keg in kc 01-06-2020 05:54 PM

So we're using stuff from The Old Republic to try and settle an argument?

That's...bizarre.

ScareCrowe 01-07-2020 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 14702081)
"Send the fleet to the far side of Endor...there it will stay until called for..."

"what of the reports of the Rebel fleet massing near Sullust?"

"it is of no concern...soon the Rebellion will be crushed and young Skywalker will be one of us....Your work here is finished, my friend. Go to the command ship and await my orders."

"Now someone bring me a slave girl, i need to nut!"

LMAO

Do the same thing except replace the last line with:
"Now someone bring me some toilet paper, my imperial toilet room just ran out & I got a major turtle head poking out"

Some things aren't explained on screen, specifically in a family movie like Star Wars. I think in all of Star Wars cannon I can think of a handful of references to a bathroom in general. The fact that you would expect them to flesh out characters sex lives with the exception of necessary plot points like Anakin falling in love with Padame & obviously having sex, but even that was handled carefully.

And the "he was too busy ruling the galaxy" logic doesn't work IMO. That would apply to literally every world leader throughout history. Yet I think if we checked the history books we would find that the vast majority (if not all) of them found time. I mean when you have no feeling toward the person you're using for sex & have that kind of power to be able to have women just brought to you how much time does it really take that it's distracting you from other things?

But my biggest question is, who would have made more sense? Obi Wan? is it more in character for a Jedi, forbidden to have relationships, one that we've never seen as anything but pious & dedicated to the order? Or maybe a guy who believed in a code that promotes passion giving strength. Maybe he would use sex as a way to gain power, it certainly more believable than Obi Wan. The only other choice IMO was to have her related to no one.

ScareCrowe 01-07-2020 10:52 AM

Oh also FWIW I took the family to watch while on vacation in Orlando. Actually caught it at the AMC in Disney Springs. It was a huge packed theater & literally there was a round of applause when the movie ended. (same thing at my opening night showing but admittedly it was a lower percentage of the audience cheering opening night) One of a handful of times I have seen an audience cheer at the end of a movie. My wife who generally isn't a Star Wars fan said she "loved it".

Again take it for what it's worth.

Hammock Parties 01-07-2020 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScareCrowe (Post 14703160)
Some things aren't explained on screen, specifically in a family movie like Star Wars. I think in all of Star Wars cannon I can think of a handful of references to a bathroom in general. The fact that you would expect them to flesh out characters sex lives with the exception of necessary plot points like Anakin falling in love with Padame & obviously having sex, but even that was handled carefully..

No, it's just stupid.

The Sith are above the need for flesh, and so are the Jedi.

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."

It's completely out of character.

The Sith and the Jedi don't need love, ergo, they don't need sex.

It makes them WEAKER.

ScareCrowe 01-07-2020 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 14703212)
No, it's just stupid.

The Sith are above the need for flesh, and so are the Jedi.

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."

It's completely out of character.

The Sith and the Jedi don't need love, ergo, they don't need sex.

It makes them WEAKER.

So you think you can't have sex without being in love?

Again, sith code:

"Through passion I gain strength"

Chiefspants 01-07-2020 11:24 AM

I love SW threads because the discussions always go places that you could never anticipate.

Someone should photoshop Palps face over, uh, certain pictures of Jerry Jones

Hammock Parties 01-07-2020 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScareCrowe (Post 14703225)
So you think you can't have sex without being in love?

Again, sith code:

"Through passion I gain strength"

I'm sorry, I just don't buy it.

It doesn't fit with the character, and there's no precedent for it.

ScareCrowe 01-07-2020 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 14703249)
I'm sorry, I just don't buy it.

It doesn't fit with the character, and there's no precedent for it.

Again, which character does it fit better with? No established Jedi showed signs of betraying the code over a relationship except Anakin. So you either have to make her related to no one, which makes explaining her insane powers hard. Or tie her to some unknown jedi, which would be pretty anticlimactic. The only way they came up with to explain Rey's powers were the force diad thing, which required her to be a Palpatine.

A sith makes the most sense IMO. But again he was cornered in by both his own writing in TFA & what Rian did in TLJ. The biggest issue with this trilogy is that the movies don't work well together. When viewed as a stand alone film they aren't that bad IMO. It's when you start to try to follow the story across the entire trilogy that it really starts to fall apart. Even worse when you try to connect in to the original trilogy.

Hammock Parties 01-07-2020 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScareCrowe (Post 14703300)
Again, which character does it fit better with? .

Non-Jedi. Non-Sith. People who aren't wholly devoted to evil and power.

Make her a ****ing nobody and don't make her OP. Make her a ****ing clone or something - at least I can buy that.

Or just **** everything up and become Transformers and throw CGI at the audience and hope they don't notice.

It's just badly written and not believable.

**** the ST. **** JJ. They made stupid films and shit on established canon that actually made sense. Don't defend them.

ScareCrowe 01-07-2020 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 14703319)
Non-Jedi. Non-Sith. People who aren't wholly devoted to evil and power.

Make her a ****ing nobody and don't make her OP. Make her a ****ing clone or something - at least I can buy that.

Or just **** everything up and become Transformers and throw CGI at the audience and hope they don't notice.

It's just badly written and not believable.

**** the ST. **** JJ. They made stupid films and shit on established canon that actually made sense. Don't defend them.

Problem is you're now retconning 2 movies worth of plot. Sure if they could undo what they did in TFA & TLJ we could come up with other believable ways to go. The problem is that wasn't an option. Given where the story was left off in TLJ where would you have gone with it. How would you have explained her parentage in a way that makes sense & is consistent with the characters as they've been shown to us and also explains how Rey seemingly is the most powerful force user we've ever seen with no pedigree or real training of any kind.

And I'm not absolving JJ, he partly set this up in TFA. Then RJ took it a step further in the TLJ until we arrived at a point where crafting a story that made sense for the final chapter was difficult. Hell just as a movie watcher that played a part in my lack of exitement for episode 9 as I myself wondered "where do they go with this for a 9th movie"

Hammock Parties 01-07-2020 12:47 PM

No, there were plenty of options.

it was just lazy

and stupid

and to be frank, she wasn't that OP until ROS

they went off the ****ing deep end for no reason

Hammock Parties 01-07-2020 12:50 PM

pretty sad when comic book writers are putting JJ to shame

https://terrigen-cdn-dev.marvel.com/..._preview-2.jpg

https://terrigen-cdn-dev.marvel.com/..._preview-5.jpg

https://terrigen-cdn-dev.marvel.com/..._preview-6.jpg

Raiderhater 01-07-2020 02:38 PM

So I was going to say that this whole “do Sith have sex?” argument is one of the nerdiest arguments I have ever encountered. But I’ve always been a little unsure of when to use nerd and when to use geek, so I looked it up and came across this -

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media...184iuaxjpg.jpg

Now I’m only more confused. While Star Wars is color coded to geek it clearly rates at about an 8 for both geek AND nerd, placing right in the edge of both definitions. And that is just Star Wars in general, that’s not even taking into account this sub-sub topic of Sith sex drive.

I don’t know if these imaginary characters engage in sexual activities with others or not in this make believe realm but, I’m fairly certain that those arguing about it do not. :p

Hammock Parties 01-07-2020 03:54 PM

it's been awhile, that's for sure

ScareCrowe 01-07-2020 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 14703385)
No, there were plenty of options.

it was just lazy

and stupid

and to be frank, she wasn't that OP until ROS

they went off the ****ing deep end for no reason

I don't know she beats Kylo, who was set up as a force savant (stopping laser blasts mid flight) with no training. Figures out several other force techniques when before she got onto the Falcon she wasn't even sure the force was a real thing. Luke Skywalker says he's only seen power like hers once before. (the other time was the person she beat with no training)

She was set up as very powerful in episodes 7 & 8. It's funny you keep telling everyone not to let JJ off the hook, but you really want to look past all of RJ's contributions to how this thing ended.

Hammock Parties 01-07-2020 06:19 PM

god dammit JJ

https://scontent.fmkc1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...e8&oe=5EB0141E

Setsuna 01-07-2020 06:29 PM

Ridley is flat as an ironing board isn't she?

Hammock Parties 01-07-2020 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 14704085)

the only thing flatter than her chest is her personality

Halfcan 01-08-2020 09:50 AM

We went to the $5.00 show last night to see 1917 but were too late because the service at Red Robins was slow and shitty. So we decided to see Space Balls...I mean Star Wars.

I saw the first one opening weekend as a kid. It was truly amazing. Although this latest one has incredible special effects and worlds they could never have created back then, it is hollow and the story is laughably bad. I don't think it was meant to be funny, but there were several moments I laughed out loud at how stupid it was. I was not sure if I was watching Battlestar Gallactica or some B budget Sci-Fi movie at times.

I am sure the plot holes have been talked about on here several times, but you would think they could have put together a decent script after 9 tries at making the same movie. I would give it 3 out of 5 Death Stars. Entertaining, once you got over the terrible acting and corny super hero type action.

Fish 01-08-2020 11:02 AM

During the Kylo Ren/Han Solo ghost scene, I kinda giggled at the thought of Kylo stabbing his ghost dad with his lightsaber again...

DJ's left nut 01-08-2020 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 14704110)
the only thing flatter than her chest is her personality

Have never understood the fanboi cult surrounding her.

She's shockingly average looking.

Hammock Parties 01-08-2020 11:12 AM

she has very beautiful features, actually, great smile, great bod

i think she's hot

but there are hotter wimmens

Hammock Parties 01-08-2020 02:39 PM

JJ hoisted by his own petard

https://scontent.fmkc1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...7f&oe=5EAB773C

ScareCrowe 01-08-2020 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 14705493)

Or for that matter why did Palpatine himself ask Kylo to kill Rey (twice if I remember correctly) if he wanted her alive? I noticed that on my second watch through.

Hammock Parties 01-08-2020 03:28 PM

its worthless trying to explain JJ's ****ing bullshit

DaneMcCloud 01-08-2020 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 14705589)
its worthless trying to explain JJ's ****ing bullshit

Just one thing of note: It's not all JJ. Derek Connolly, Colin Trevorrow, Chris Terrio, JJ and the Lucasfilm story group ALL contributed to the script.

If you want to aim your ire at the person responsible for this entire movie, it's Bob Iger.

Hammock Parties 01-08-2020 07:14 PM

so the visual dictionary reveals how rey fixed anakin's lightsaber

she just used her OP force healing abilities on it, of course

LMAO

****ing hand waving bullshit, holy ****

Bowser 01-08-2020 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 14706033)
so the visual dictionary reveals how rey fixed anakin's lightsaber

she just used her OP force healing abilities on it, of course

LMAO

****ing hand waving bullshit, holy ****

No wonder Poe wanted her to go with them on the Falcon as he lightspeed skipped it, lol.

Bowser 01-08-2020 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 14705712)
Just one thing of note: It's not all JJ. Derek Connolly, Colin Trevorrow, Chris Terrio, JJ and the Lucasfilm story group ALL contributed to the script.

If you want to aim your ire at the person responsible for this entire movie, it's Bob Iger.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/769b...itemid=4446569

Sorry 01-10-2020 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 14706221)
No wonder Poe wanted her to go with them on the Falcon as he lightspeed skipped it, lol.

Handjob via the force?

Hammock Parties 01-10-2020 10:39 AM

https://scontent.fmkc1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...1f&oe=5E9005BF

Sassy Squatch 01-10-2020 10:47 AM

Hammock follows a reylo Twitter account. That's ****ing hilarious.

Hammock Parties 01-10-2020 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 14708556)
Hammock follows a reylo Twitter account. That's ****ing hilarious.

i got it from FB

but i fully support reylo

cute couple

Buehler445 01-10-2020 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 14708539)

Say what you want about Star Wars.

I'd **** Daisy Ridley like she was the cure.

Hammock Parties 01-10-2020 05:46 PM

way better than rise of skywalker LMAO

Ren should have been a part of the trilogy

https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Sta...ue-1?id=165066

Al Bundy 01-10-2020 07:45 PM

I thought it was an ok movie. I saw it a second time and what a jumbled mess.

DaneMcCloud 01-14-2020 03:02 PM

This is a much better version of the Treatment synopsis of the Reddit Leak, which has been confirmed as Original by Trevorrow.

Hindsight is 20/20 and all and I'm not sure if this would have made for a "better" film than JJ's but it definitely would have been much different, if not more cogent and coherent.

Spoiler!

Sorry 01-15-2020 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 14724015)
You guys may or may not have seen this but supposedly, the Colin Trevorrow and Derek Connelly's early draft of their Episode IX script was leaked on Reddit. It sounds legit and would have been very, very different from the movie that was eventually made and released.

I'll put it in Spoiler Tags to make it easier to read:

Spoiler!

Not terribly better than JJs but better than just killing off Ben. I still would’ve like to see Rey embrace the dark side and Ben end up saving the day

Sassy Squatch 01-15-2020 05:50 PM

That would've flowed better as an ending to this trilogy, I guess.

Spoiler!

DaneMcCloud 01-15-2020 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 14726225)
That would've flowed better as an ending to this trilogy, I guess.

Spoiler!

First off, my apologies for that awful transcription. I've found a much better version and I'll replace that one shortly.

Secondly, it was a Treatment, which is different than a Rough Draft of a Script, which is how it was (incorrectly) described on Reddit.

A Treatment is more than an Outline but far less than a script. It's basically a collection of ideas about how the story *should* unfold, with Capitalized Words in places. It's kind of weird to read at first, especially someone that's new to the business, and whoever transcribed it from Reddit didn't know how to read and transcribe properly.

From my understanding (this what I was told by Disney insiders) is that Trevorrow's script leaned heavily on Luke & Leia, as he felt they were extremely under-utilized in the first two sequels. He wrote the part about Han appearing to Kylo Ren, which is part of the reason why he and Connelly received Story By Credit. Basically, he wanted the OT heroes to be heroes once again.

Also, Lucasfilm (ahem, KK), was pissed that Poe, Finn & Rey weren't as central to the story and that Kylo's end was "too dark". Apparently, they battled and battled and battled until KK just outright fired Trevorrow, without a plan in place.

Hence, Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker.

Sassy Squatch 01-15-2020 06:14 PM

So Trevorrow actually understood what people wanted from the OT characters, then. Also, killed off your Big Bad in the 2nd movie. If you weren't prepared for the consequences that followed, like potentially making Kylo the actual real main antagonist, DONT ****ING DO THAT!!! God, KK needs to go.

Sorry 01-15-2020 09:26 PM

There should be riots lol

Red Dawg 01-16-2020 01:47 AM

Disney ruined everything.

Red Dawg 01-16-2020 01:49 AM

Palpatine being alive is insanely stupid. He blew up on the Death Star in the middle of outter space.

Chiefspants 01-16-2020 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorry (Post 14726183)
Not terribly better than JJs but better than just killing off Ben. I still would’ve like to see Rey embrace the dark side and Ben end up saving the day

This outline reads a lot like The Last Jedi in that there IS a potentially great movie there, but a few details need to be culled (like the 7,000,000,000 year old sith lord, who JJ pretty much just replaced with Palps) to make it successful.

They just replace those moments with Ben having visions of Vader on his own and having these insightful conversations with Luke, that could be awesome.

TROS was always going to be cookie cutter fan-service, which is precisely why JJ was hired on.

DaneMcCloud 01-16-2020 04:19 PM

This is supposedly the Final Draft of Trevorrow's script. It's a bit different than the first draft (or Treatment). I don't know if this would have made for a better movie but it seems like it would have been more of a fitting end to the latest trilogy.

And, most importantly (IMO, anyway), it doesn't mess with Anakin's Story Arc in the slightest.

Spoiler!

Chiefspants 01-16-2020 05:39 PM

That third act needs a Rogue One Tony Gilroy style re-write, but I'm more excited about the bones of it than I was about any of TROS' storybeats.

DaneMcCloud 01-16-2020 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 14728594)
That third act needs a Rogue One Tony Gilroy style re-write, but I'm more excited about the bones of it than I was about any of TROS' storybeats.

KK brought in Jack Thorne to polish the script after firing Trevorrow but dumped that version as well, once JJ agreed to write and direct IX. There's no going back now but at the very least, Colin Trevorrow and Derek Connelly wrote a cohesive story that aligned well with TFA & TLJ. Again, I don't know how well it would have been received but it *seems* like a better story in which to conclude the saga.

Really, the bottom line is this: If KK was hell bent on creating a new trilogy with a new cast of characters, the sequels shouldn't have been sequels at all. They should have been new, standalone movies set in the distant future. That way, "proper" stories about Han, Luke & Leia could have been told by either recasting or creating an entirely new storyline for them.

There's no way to do that now...

Buehler445 01-16-2020 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 14728662)
KK brought in Jack Thorne to polish the script after firing Trevorrow but dumped that version as well, once JJ agreed to write and direct IX. There's no going back now but at the very least, Colin Trevorrow and Derek Connelly wrote a cohesive story that aligned well with TFA & TLJ. Again, I don't know how well it would have been received but it *seems* like a better story in which to conclude the saga.

Really, the bottom line is this: If KK was hell bent on creating a new trilogy with a new cast of characters, the sequels shouldn't have been sequels at all. They should have been new, standalone movies set in the distant future. That way, "proper" stories about Han, Luke & Leia could have been told by either recasting or creating an entirely new storyline for them.

There's no way to do that now...

That’s a better way to say what I came in here to say.

I think with the production quality they had that story would work well.

Hammock Parties 01-16-2020 07:44 PM

LOL

"**** it, let marvel do it"

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Taika Waititi has been approached to direct a &#39;Star Wars&#39; film<br><br>(via <a href="https://twitter.com/THR?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@THR</a>) <a href="https://t.co/jarNnKgXo9">pic.twitter.com/jarNnKgXo9</a></p>&mdash; Star Wars Facts (@SWTweets) <a href="https://twitter.com/SWTweets/status/1217943946405371904?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 16, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hammock Parties 01-17-2020 10:31 PM

Wow.

That treatment is so much better.

There's some rough edges that need smoothing - that Sollony character sucks - but lots of great stuff in there - probably just need to roll any bad guys who threaten rey besides kylo into the knights of ren, makes them more of a threat, too

It's actually plausible that the First Order would lose because they're spread too thin - as an inverse of "the more you tighten your grip, the more star systems will slip through your fingers

and rey raising the falcon at the end of the movie?

lando having a character arc?

starting the movie with a heist sequence of old imperial tech?

finn rallying other former troopers?

holy ****, so much better

kathleen kennedy and bob iger are assclowns

listopencil 01-18-2020 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 14704085)

She's a small girl with small boobs. She played a half naked corpse on a slab in something. Some TV show or some movie. If you search for her name and boobs or tits then you'll see them.

Setsuna 01-22-2020 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 14731668)
She's a small girl with small boobs. She played a half naked corpse on a slab in something. Some TV show or some movie. If you search for her name and boobs or tits then you'll see them.

Water is wet. She's flat. I never said she was unattractive nor a girl. Why you felt the need to add on to what I said I don't know. :shrug:

DaneMcCloud 01-24-2020 10:43 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/colintrevorrow?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@colintrevorrow</a> <br>I along with every outspoken Star Wars fan need to know this, is the concept art that was released accurate? Or were those false? Like Kylo and Vader in the cave? Or R2 dying? e.t.c <br>I really need an answer lol. <a href="https://t.co/O2zWIWu3yI">pic.twitter.com/O2zWIWu3yI</a></p>&mdash; Jake 🙏 (@JeromeJT3) <a href="https://twitter.com/JeromeJT3/status/1220543934843310080?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 24, 2020</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sassy Squatch 01-24-2020 07:44 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Yes, this is from Duel of the Fates. But I’d never kill R2...he just took a bad hit. Happens to all of us. <a href="https://t.co/ekGMRUdV2g">https://t.co/ekGMRUdV2g</a></p>&mdash; Colin Trevorrow (@colintrevorrow) <a href="https://twitter.com/colintrevorrow/status/1220607283094224897?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 24, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Prison Bitch 01-26-2020 11:20 AM

Went to it again last nite. This was a good movie, I really don’t get the hate. TLJ sucked. The prequels sucked. Obv. But both JJ movies were good.

Frankly the last 30 min of this movie had more action than any Star Wars movie ever has.

Bowser 01-26-2020 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 14752122)
Went to it again last nite. This was a good movie, I really don’t get the hate. TLJ sucked. The prequels sucked. Obv. But both JJ movies were good.

Frankly the last 30 min of this movie had more action than any Star Wars movie ever has.

Was planning on seeing it again after Dane said it was way more enjoyable the second go around when you aren't trying to absorb every second of the movie and can just kick back and watch. Hearing you say this as well makes up my mind for me.

Prison Bitch 01-26-2020 06:42 PM

Dane’s takes on this have been spot on. I say he won the thread.

(“Oh shit” - Dane)