ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs sign Alex Okafor [restructured] (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=321830)

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 03-14-2019 10:27 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">At 6-foot-4 &amp; 260 pounds, Alex Okafor fits the type of edge rusher Steve Spagnuolo wants in his scheme.<br><br>The Chiefs, unlike last year, are going to be using more stunts with players such as Okafor next to Chris Jones. Okafor had 4 sacks 9 QB hits last season.</p>&mdash; Nate Taylor (@ByNateTaylor) <a href="https://twitter.com/ByNateTaylor/status/1106304953327456256?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 14, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

chiefzilla1501 03-14-2019 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YontsRBake (Post 14158778)
Oh ok. I see what you're saying.

I'm still missing when this model has ever worked for other teams that don't have the GOAT coach.

Well, we're going to win with offense. Our defense just needs to be good enough.

And the Chiefs aren't bringing in guys like Okafor to replace Ford. They're bringing them in to be 2-3 year stopgaps until they draft a replacement. Lots of defenses build through the draft, but it's going to take a few years for the Chiefs to do that. Notice how all our free agent pickups are on 2-3 year contracts with very easy bailouts. Look at how we built our defense originally. We started out with guys like Sean Smith and Devito and Vance Walker, but clearly Dorsey was drafting to replace those guys as quickly as possible.

htismaqe 03-14-2019 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 14158663)
Could have signed him by releasing Berry.

Berry only produces $1.5M worth of savings now. They don't get the rest until June 1.

htismaqe 03-14-2019 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YontsRBake (Post 14158705)
I'm with you. I would much rather have one outstanding player, than 3 average to below average players. I don't understand this quantity over quality mindset at all, it's not how you build a championship winning team. We were bad on defense with these players before because we had one of the worst DCs in the NFL, the answer is not to gut the defense of talent and replace it with a higher quantity of lesser talented players for the same amount of money.

Dee Ford isn't an "outstanding" player. That's the problem. He had one "outstanding" season, one good season, and a whole lot of NOTHING the rest of his career. He has chronic back problems and has discs removed from his spine.

He's not an outstanding player. And he's certainly not worth an outstanding price tag.

htismaqe 03-14-2019 10:30 PM

It's 11:30pm and Dee Ford is still gone. PBJ

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 03-14-2019 10:32 PM

Okafor ranked in PFF top 30 DE last year

YontsRBake 03-14-2019 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14158789)
What's keeping them from winning now? Houston has been hurt several times in the past few years. So has Ford. You know what would REALLY keep them from winning now?

Keeping those guys at $15M each and then losing them to injury.

Do you really think we have a better chance of winning in 2019 with Okafor and whatever CB we sign instead of Ford or Houston?

I already know what your answer is going to be but any unbiased observer of the NFL is going to say the latter gives us the greater chance.

I still don't know how tf were going to create pressure of the edges this season, a rookie taken in the late 20s almost never produce heavily as pass rushers in their rookie seasons and Okafor definitely isn't the guy to get it done.

htismaqe 03-14-2019 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YontsRBake (Post 14158800)
Do you really think we have a better chance of winning in 2019 with Okafor and whatever CB we sign instead of Ford or Houston?

Do you really think Dee Ford is going to repeat his 2018 performance? He's more likely to get hurt than repeat 2018. The most probable outcome is that he just isn't as good as he was last year and eats up $16M of the cap, preventing the Chiefs from getting other necessary pieces.

And for the record, the defense was AWFUL last year. Dee Ford and Justin Houston were invisible in the AFCCG and they were 6 inches away from going to the Super Bowl. If you think Dee Ford is the magical piece to get them to the Super Bowl, you're freaking fooling yourself.

Have you completely forgotten that the Chiefs have Patrick Mahomes? You're making a big deal out of literally nothing. Dee Ford doesn't matter. Justin Houston doesn't matter. The defense is going to be better next year without them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by YontsRBake (Post 14158800)
I still don't know how tf were going to create pressure of the edges this season, a rookie taken in the late 20s almost never produce heavily as pass rushers in their rookie seasons and Okafor definitely isn't the guy to get it done.

They're going to generate pressure off the edge with scheme. How many times do people have to tell you that before it sinks in?

Iconic 03-14-2019 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14158790)
If Darby can't pass a physical, they won't sign him. ROFL

Yeah that's my point and why it's reeruned to sit and laugh at the inclination of signing Verrett.

Chiefs are having difficulty figuring out if Darby will be ready for training camp but taking a 1.4m flyer on a past all-pro as insurance isn't interesting for some people :rolleyes:

Halfcan 03-14-2019 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14158796)
Dee Ford isn't an "outstanding" player. That's the problem. He had one "outstanding" season, one good season, and a whole lot of NOTHING the rest of his career. He has chronic back problems and has discs removed from his spine.

He's not an outstanding player. And he's certainly not worth an outstanding price tag.

People complained about Matt Cassel less than you have cried about Dee Ford. Every thread, every day, non-stop. That franchise tag really pulled your trigger I guess. :rolleyes:

YontsRBake 03-14-2019 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14158809)
Do you really think Dee Ford is going to repeat his 2018 performance? He's more likely to get hurt than repeat 2018. The most probable outcome is that he just isn't as good as he was last year and eats up $16M of the cap, preventing the Chiefs from getting other necessary pieces.

And for the record, the defense was AWFUL last year. Dee Ford and Justin Houston were invisible in the AFCCG and they were 6 inches away from going to the Super Bowl. If you think Dee Ford is the magical piece to get them to the Super Bowl, you're freaking fooling yourself.

Have you completely forgotten that the Chiefs have Patrick Mahomes? You're making a big deal out of literally nothing. Dee Ford doesn't matter. Justin Houston doesn't matter. The defense is going to be better next year without them.

They're going to generate pressure off the edge with scheme. How many times do people have to tell you that before it sinks in?

And i've already explained how talented Spags DEs have been in years he's been successful and how theres a lack of talent at DE in the years he's struggled.

Our defense was terrible because we had a terrible DC, However even the greatest DC is going to struggle with a defense that has been gutted of its talent. If Dee Ford is a complete failure in SF and Okafor, Speaks, Tanoh and whoever we draft create a ton of sacks and pressure ill gladly eat crow, however it doesn't appear that it is going to go that way at all.

Hog's Gone Fishin 03-14-2019 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14158797)
It's 11:30pm and Dee Ford is still gone. PBJ

I wonder if he has a neutral zone line in his new garage. You know , so he can practice.

htismaqe 03-14-2019 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iconic (Post 14158822)
Yeah that's my point and why it's reeruned to sit and laugh at the inclination of signing Verrett.

Chiefs are having difficulty figuring out if Darby will be ready for training camp but taking a 1.4m flyer on a past all-pro as insurance is stupid for some people :rolleyes:

I can see why people wouldn't want Verrett. He's never played a full season in his entire career. Any amount of money is too much if you think he won't play.

But the whole Darby thing is silly. He's either healthy or he's not. If he can't pass a physical why would anybody want him?

By the way, SuperTurtle saw on Reddit somebody said a guy on FSR said Darby failed his physical.

htismaqe 03-14-2019 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 14158824)
People complained about Matt Cassel less than you have cried about Dee Ford. Every thread, every day, non-stop. That franchise tag really pulled your trigger I guess. :rolleyes:

Oh look, it's Super Homer turned Debbie Downer. Do you get tired of flip flopping or do you just need more lithium?

htismaqe 03-14-2019 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YontsRBake (Post 14158825)
And i've already explained how talented Spags DEs have been in years he's been successful and how theres a lack of talent at DE in the years he's struggled.

Our defense was terrible because we had a terrible DC, However even the greatest DC is going to struggle with a defense that has been gutted of its talent. If Dee Ford is a complete failure in SF and Okafor, Speaks, Tanoh and whoever we draft create a ton of sacks and pressure ill gladly eat crow, however it doesn't appear that it is going to go that way at all.

They should have tried to keep Houston.

Letting Ford go, however, was the correct call.

YontsRBake 03-14-2019 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14158830)

Thats fine with me, I just wanted one of our talented pass rushers to be kept so that we weren't sitting here with Okafor and Speaks as our starting DEs.

Personally I obviously preferred Ford but I would be perfectly fine with keeping Houston instead as well. Getting rid of them both is where Veach lost me.

Halfcan 03-14-2019 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14158828)
Oh look, it's Super Homer turned Debbie Downer. Do you get tired of flip flopping or do you just need more lithium?

Wow, you made a post without crying about Dee Ford. :clap:

A step in the right direction.

Iconic 03-14-2019 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14158827)
I can see why people wouldn't want Verrett. He's never played a full season in his entire career. Any amount of money is too much if you think he won't play.

But the whole Darby thing is silly. He's either healthy or he's not. If he can't pass a physical why would anybody want him?

By the way, SuperTurtle saw on Reddit somebody said a guy on FSR said Darby failed his physical.

Jesus. At this point we might as well chance a guy like Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. PFF gave him a 75.1 coverage grade last year so he can at the very least play at a high level to some degree.

htismaqe 03-14-2019 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YontsRBake (Post 14158837)
Thats fine with me, I just wanted one of our talented pass rushers to be kept so that we weren't sitting here with Okafor and Speaks as our starting DEs.

Personally I obviously preferred Ford but I would be perfectly fine with keeping Houston instead as well. Getting rid of them both is where Veach lost me.

I get why they did it. You can't shell out big money for guys that haven't consistently gotten it done. Both have injury histories and Ford has a history of being up-and-down besides.

Overall, I think Houston would have been cheaper to keep and that's why I would have kept him. I love Ford's talent but I value dependability much more than most here. All the talent in the world doesn't help from the sidelines, which is where I believe Ford will be at least part of 2019. That's what his history suggests.

That doesn't mean I can't be wrong but right now, that's where the evidence leads.

Halfcan 03-14-2019 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14158830)

And the very next post- back to Ford. :deevee:

He is gone dude- come off the ledge.

htismaqe 03-14-2019 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 14158839)
Wow, you made a post without crying about Dee Ford. :clap:

A step in the right direction.

All you've done today is cry about how terrible the defense is going to be. You should try not being such a hypocrite.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 03-14-2019 10:56 PM

Our defense looks more of a run stopping D then getting after the qb

chiefzilla1501 03-14-2019 10:56 PM

Quote:

You're basing that off 1 year during Bountygate which is a bad comparison. He had good DEs in St. Louis where he was there for 3 years. He had a good secondary during the super bowl run and an outstanding one in 2016.

Halfcan 03-14-2019 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14158845)
All you've done today is cry about how terrible the defense is going to be. You should try not being such a hypocrite.

ROFL

How did you type that without talking about Ford?

The defense sucked last year- we have dumped our 3 best players and replaced them with guys with an injury history- not expecting huge improvement is not being a hypocrite, it is being realistic until we see how they come together in camp.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 03-14-2019 11:01 PM

Nnadi and Jones is very solid. Speaks who knows. I feel like he will be better as a DE. Okafor is basically Allen Bailey but better run stuffer. We got better in the back end. Mathieu signing and potentially Darcy. Ward will ball out next year. I hope Watts can ball out as well. Our Linebackers May be the worst in the league. Hitchens I hope can play like he did in Dallas. Ragland shouldn’t see the field and the parking lot shooter guy sounds like a rotational piece.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 03-14-2019 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 14158853)
ROFL

The defense sucked last year- we have dumped our 3 best players and replaced them with guys with an injury history- not expecting huge improvement is not being a hypocrite, it is being realistic until we see how they come together in camp.

3 best players?? Did Jones die

YontsRBake 03-14-2019 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 14158849)
You're basing that off 1 year during Bountygate which is a bad comparison. He had good DEs in St. Louis where he was there for 3 years. He had a good secondary during the super bowl run and an outstanding one in 2016.

You can count his time as a head coach where he wasn’t the DC but I don’t see that as a good example to use as a comparison as much as you don’t like using the Saints bountygate year, why focus on when he’s the HC instead of his same current position as a DC?

We saw a big improvement in his secondary from 2015 to 2016 with the same roster outside of Jenkins in NY. What also changed in that time? They traded for Vernon, who was an all pro player in 2016 and had JPP available for several more games with a far higher output of pass rushing production.

The SB year, the strength was mainly in the DL, not the DB core. Do you disagree with that?

htismaqe 03-14-2019 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 14158853)
ROFL

I'm talking about Ford because everybody else in the thread is talking about Ford. It isn't rocket science.

And you've gone way beyond not expecting huge improvement. You've posted negative crap about the defense in every thread you're in, all day. That is what makes you a hypocrite.

Now you're freaking crying about me crying about Ford. That not only makes you a hypocrite, it makes you ridiculous.

Give it up. I'll stop talking about Ford when the conversation is over. That's not up to me, that's up to everyone else here.

chiefzilla1501 03-14-2019 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YontsRBake (Post 14158861)
You can count his time as a head coach where he wasn’t the DC but I don’t see that as a good example to use as a comparison as much as you don’t like using the Saints bountygate year, why focus on when he’s the HC instead of his same current position as a DC?

We saw a big improvement in his secondary from 2015 to 2016 with the same roster outside of Jenkins in NY. What also changed in that time? They traded for Vernon, who was an all pro player in 2016 and had JPP available for several more games with a far higher output of pass rushing production.

The SB year, the strength was mainly in the DL, not the DB core. Do you disagree with that?

Well, I'm not using that as a case that DBs or DEs are better or worse. But the Bountygate example is definitely not a good frame of reference. The Giants in 2016 added both Eli Apple and Janoris Jenkins. There's no doubt they were bigger difference makers than Vernon. Yes, Spags had better DEs than secondary the first time in NYG, but his secondary was better than the DEs the second time around. More importantly, he drafted 7 DBs in 5 seasons with NYG... so regardless of whether he's right or not, he seems to think the team needs to be built around DBs first which is exactly what he seems to be doing here.

Chargem 03-15-2019 01:45 AM

Probably already been said, but Veach has said numerous times that the strength of the draft is defensive line, so maybe the "secondary first" look right now is because they aren't confident in premium secondary talent getting to them in the draft.

I like this Okafor signing. He doesn't seem flashy but they only had two DEs on the roster, they needed to at least sign one and I'd rather a solid vet guy for a reasonable price than a $20m per year gamble.

I also think sometimes you can't win, the run defense was bitched about all season and this kind of move seems like it might solidify the run stopping gets bitched about because of the loss of sack potential.

I do still sort of hope they take a DE in the first who has more sack potential, but this is a good move I think.

JakeF 03-15-2019 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chargem (Post 14158960)
Probably already been said, but Veach has said numerous times that the strength of the draft is defensive line, so maybe the "secondary first" look right now is because they aren't confident in premium secondary talent getting to them in the draft.

I like this Okafor signing. He doesn't seem flashy but they only had two DEs on the roster, they needed to at least sign one and I'd rather a solid vet guy for a reasonable price than a $20m per year gamble.

I also think sometimes you can't win, the run defense was bitched about all season and this kind of move seems like it might solidify the run stopping gets bitched about because of the loss of sack potential.

I do still sort of hope they take a DE in the first who has more sack potential, but this is a good move I think.

The draft is strong in pass rushers too, which is probably why Veach felt it was ok to let so many sacks walk away. I imagine we will see an offensive lineman at some point but our draft but is going to be almost all defense.

Sweet Daddy Hate 03-15-2019 02:37 AM

This is going to be a great year.

Chief_N_Bama 03-15-2019 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! (Post 14158857)
Nnadi and Jones is very solid. Speaks who knows. I feel like he will be better as a DE. Okafor is basically Allen Bailey but better run stuffer. We got better in the back end. Mathieu signing and potentially Darcy. Ward will ball out next year. I hope Watts can ball out as well. Our Linebackers May be the worst in the league. Hitchens I hope can play like he did in Dallas. Ragland shouldn’t see the field and the parking lot shooter guy sounds like a rotational piece.

Very solid assessment...

Chief_N_Bama 03-15-2019 04:52 AM

Quote:

Yeah, this seems to be overlooked on this forum. His DE's in 07 were Strahan and Osi, both of whom had 13 sacks that year. The reason they were able to beat the Patriot's was because of their ability to pressure Brady with just their front four. But now we're being told we're just gonna blitz him alot... like that has ever ****ing worked against elite qb's...

Sweet Daddy Hate 03-15-2019 05:03 AM

I think we all understand that the front 4 have to be on-point. I think we also understand that this is going to take some development and drafting as well.
I'm not gonna' freak out on ANY of this shit until we complete this FA and draft, and get our asses to camp. It's WAY too early to be calling things a success or a bust at this point.

At the end of the day, we blew up the #31 defense in the league and hired a coaching trifecta that the majority of teams in this league would LOVE to have. I'm not worried one bit.

loochy 03-15-2019 06:55 AM

Dude, there's still a lot of cap $ and draft picks left. Why do some of you pretend like this is the final lineup?

Sweet Daddy Hate 03-15-2019 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 14159086)
Dude, there's still a lot of cap $ and draft picks left. Why do some of you pretend like this is the final lineup?

Right???

Every time I see, "Speaks-Jimmy-T-Bone-Hamster", I just roll my eyes.

CoMoChief 03-15-2019 07:18 AM

Quote:

after last season, many people don't believe in Veach's ability to draft.

I know I have my doubts.

Chief_N_Bama 03-15-2019 07:23 AM

Quote:

So, we can't give our opinions of the moves made so far?

You gonna pretend as if its easy to replace the production we've let go at a premium position, AND address the deficiencies elsewhere?

It's easy to say we can draft or sign free agent to address holes, it's another thing to actually do it. Hitchens was supposed to be an upgrade last season, how did that turn out?

ChiefsCountry 03-15-2019 07:28 AM

Dee Ford doesn't fit in a 4-3 defense. Chiefs did the right thing. Some people are just too stupid.

RunKC 03-15-2019 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 14159114)
after last season, many people don't believe in Veach's ability to draft.

I know I have my doubts.

The guy didn’t have a 1st rd pick. Give him a fair shot.

Regardless of your thoughts on Speaks, Nnandi was an A+ pick and DOD showed a lot of flashes, especially for a 4-3 scheme.

loochy 03-15-2019 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief_N_Bama (Post 14159120)
So, we can't give our opinions of the moves made so far?

You gonna pretend as if its easy to replace the production we've let go at a premium position, AND address the deficiencies elsewhere?

It's easy to say we can draft or sign free agent to address holes, it's another thing to actually do it. Hitchens was supposed to be an upgrade last season, how did that turn out?

But wait until it's done. I keep hearing "WTF are we going to do because so and so are our starters now?!?!" Wait until the roster is set, geez.

TambaBerry 03-15-2019 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 14159136)
But wait until it's done. I keep hearing "WTF are we going to do because so and so are our starters now?!?!" Wait until the roster is set, geez.

this place is filled with insecure people

Sweet Daddy Hate 03-15-2019 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 14159133)

Regardless of your thoughts on Speaks, Nnandi was an A+ pick and DOD showed a lot of flashes, especially for a 4-3 scheme.

How many "hits" would you say Veach picked out of the 2018 draft? A "hit" meaning a great, good, or consistently flashing player.

Go!

Chief_N_Bama 03-15-2019 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 14159136)

Of course... because pass rushers are readily available...

chiefzilla1501 03-15-2019 07:41 AM

Anyone who thinks spags was going to turn this around because of scheme change alone wasn't watching our defense last year. I would love for Houston and Ford like players on our defense. But resigning them with no flexibility to add anyone else wasn't the answer.

We needed a defense overhaul. We'll probably have 7 or 8 new guys with significant roles once we spend the $15m and finish the draft. Speaks, kpass feel like new players because they're finally playing in a scheme that fits. Not as drastic but id say the same as well for odaniel. So basically we've got 10+ guys who aren't bottom of the roster guys. They may not be sexy but they are good bets to contribute right away. We are in year 1 of a rebuild. If we kept Houston and Ford around we'd be bandaiding the wrong defense instead of blowing it up. We have to crush it with the draft. But this is the right approach.

Chief_N_Bama 03-15-2019 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 14159133)

So, he traded up to get Speaks... as an EDGE... BRILLIANT!

loochy 03-15-2019 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief_N_Bama (Post 14159141)
Of course... because pass rushers are readily available...

We have draft picks. We have cap space. What makes you think that either 1) we can't draft someone or 2) steal Lawrence, Clark, or Clowney?

JFC, just wait you ****ing know-it-all Johnny-come-lately.

htismaqe 03-15-2019 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 14159143)
Anyone who thinks spags was going to turn this around because of scheme change alone wasn't watching our defense last year. I would love for Houston and Ford like players on our defense. But resigning them with no flexibility to add anyone else wasn't the answer.

We needed a defense overhaul. We'll probably have 7 or 8 new guys with significant roles once we spend the $15m and finish the draft. Speaks, kpass feel like new players because they're finally playing in a scheme that fits. Not as drastic but id say the same as well for odaniel. So basically we've got 10+ guys who aren't bottom of the roster guys. They may not be sexy but they are good bets to contribute right away. We are in year 1 of a rebuild. If we kept Houston and Ford around we'd be bandaiding the wrong defense instead of blowing it up. We have to crush it with the draft. But this is the right approach.

:clap::clap::clap:

htismaqe 03-15-2019 07:46 AM

It's 8:45am and Dee Ford is STILL gone. PBJ

tyton75 03-15-2019 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 14159140)
How many "hits" would you say Veach picked out of the 2018 draft? A "hit" meaning a great, good, or consistently flashing player.

Go!

Nnadi - solid on the interior in the 3rd round
O'Daniel- flashed when in the sub-package
Watts- looked like a starter till his injury
Tremon Smith- excellent kick returner in the 6th round

Mackenzie better be of some use or that pick was thrown away

Speaks looked like crap in the 3-4 most of the time.. but I believe he will look much better in the 4-3. Fingers crossed

Sweet Daddy Hate 03-15-2019 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyton75 (Post 14159152)

Speaks looked like crap in the 3-4 most of the time.. but I believe he will look much better in the 4-3. Fingers crossed

Those results are commensurate with any draft run by Dorsey that did not include a bonafide "star", and he has two such drafts on record with the Chiefs.

Sweet Daddy Hate 03-15-2019 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14159151)
It's 8:45am and Dee Ford is STILL gone. PBJ

ROFL

htismaqe 03-15-2019 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 14159156)
Those results are commensurate with any draft run by Dorsey that did not include a bonafide "star", and he has two such drafts on record with the Chiefs.

Yep.

oldman 03-15-2019 08:00 AM

Right now, I like this signing. Would I have liked to keep Houston? Sure, but not for the cash he was going to eat up. I'm beginning to think pressure in the middle might be more effective than from the edge.
But our real flaw last year was not being able to stop the run. You can have a sack to create 3rd and long, but when the opponent continues to convert with 15-20 yard runs, you stay on the field forever. I don't care how good our offense is, if they can't get on the turf, we don't win.

htismaqe 03-15-2019 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman (Post 14159167)
Right now, I like this signing. Would I have liked to keep Houston? Sure, but not for the cash he was going to eat up. I'm beginning to think pressure in the middle might be more effective than from the edge.
But our real flaw last year was not being able to stop the run. You can have a sack to create 3rd and long, but when the opponent continues to convert with 15-20 yard runs, you stay on the field forever. I don't care how good our offense is, if they can't get on the turf, we don't win.

It can't be understated. Somebody said yesterday they weren't actually the 31st ranked D because they had so many attempts against them. That person was partially right. But I had no idea until I looked just how bad it actually was.

The Chiefs were 31st in yards. Useless stat.
They were 24th in points against. Definitely not 31st.
They were 32nd in pass attempts and 31st in pass yards. This was that person's point. They gave up a ton of yards because they gave up a ton of attempts.

But here's where things go south.

They were 17th in rushing attempts but 27th in yards. Obviously, that's a quality issue rather than a quantity issue. And their poor run defense REALLY shows in the following:

They were 30th in average time of drive, 32nd in plays per drive, 31st in yards per drive, and 28th in points per drive.

In summary, the defense simply couldn't get off the field. Part of the reason they gave up so many yards is because they faced so many attempts. That is true. However, it is not completely true they faced so many attempts because of the offense. They faced so many attempts because they couldn't get off the field.

Sweet Daddy Hate 03-15-2019 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14159196)
It can't be understated. Somebody said yesterday they weren't actually the 31st ranked D because they had so many attempts against them. That person was partially right. But I had no idea until I looked just how bad it actually was.

They were 32nd in pass attempts and 31st in pass yards. This was that person's point. They gave up a ton of yards because they gave up a ton of attempts.

They were 17th in rushing attempts but 27th in yards. Obviously, that's a quality issue rather than a quantity issue. And their poor run defense REALLY shows in the following:

They were 30th in average time of drive, 32nd in plays per drive, 31st in yards per drive, and 28th in points per drive.

In summary, the defense simply couldn't get off the field. Part of the reason they gave up so many yards is because they faced so many attempts. That is true. However, it is not completely true they faced so many attempts because of the offense. They faced so many attempts because they couldn't get off the field.

All I can add to this is that having a stable defense makes "scoring too quickly" a moot point.

chiefzilla1501 03-15-2019 08:28 AM

Quote:

It also shows that teams are trying to frustrate mahomes by keeping him off rhythm by keeping him off the field. If we force teams to pass a few good things happen... Spags' emphasis on corners will hopefully lead to DB's not dropping easy INTs. If not, the other team attacks us vertically and scores quickly. I have a feeling our D will give up a decent amount of points and yards, but we'll significantly reduce opponent TOP and will force more turnovers.

oldman 03-15-2019 08:35 AM

That's my point. Keeping PMII off the field keeps the score lower and TOP becomes more important. My other point about pressure up the middle is that guys like Brady and Rivers don't like big uglies in their face.

saphojunkie 03-15-2019 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyton75 (Post 14159152)

Speaks hit the QB 8 times in 4 starts.

Houston hit the QB 12 times in 12 starts.

If you’ve written the book on Speaks already, you are jumping the gun.

loochy 03-15-2019 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 14159343)
Speaks hit the QB 8 times in 4 starts.

Houston hit the QB 12 times in 12 starts.

If you’ve written the book on Speaks already, you are jumping the gun.

How many times do you think they dropped Speaks' fat ass into pass coverage?

kgrund 03-15-2019 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 14159247)
It also shows that teams are trying to frustrate mahomes by keeping him off rhythm by keeping him off the field. If we force teams to pass a few good things happen... Spags' emphasis on corners will hopefully lead to DB's not dropping easy INTs. If not, the other team attacks us vertically and scores quickly. I have a feeling our D will give up a decent amount of points and yards, but we'll significantly reduce opponent TOP and will force more turnovers.

Crazy thing is, I think Veach foresaw this LAST offseason. He was focused on stopping the run last offseason for this very reason IMO. However, as has been well documented, it did not get fixed. I really think his approach last year (if the run D fix would have been successful) was to encourage shoot outs.

htismaqe 03-15-2019 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 14159361)
How many times do you think they dropped Speaks' fat ass into pass coverage?

How many times do you think they actually dropped Houston into coverage?

Justin Houston has never dropped into coverage more than 25% of the time under Bob Sutton. He took 719 snaps last year. If you used that as a conservative measure, he still rushed the passer on at least 540 snaps.

Speaks played 492 snaps.

loochy 03-15-2019 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14159401)
How many times do you think they actually dropped Houston into coverage?

Justin Houston has never dropped into coverage more than 25% of the time under Bob Sutton. He took 719 snaps last year. If you used that as a conservative measure, he still rushed the passer on at least 540 snaps.

Speaks played 492 snaps.

It's weird that it feels like Houston was out there a lot - not so much last year but in the prior years. Was it just cases of the QB noticing and picking on Houston?

htismaqe 03-15-2019 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 14159407)
It's weird that it feels like Houston was out there a lot - not so much last year but in the prior years. Was it just cases of the QB noticing and picking on Houston?

2 years ago that was certainly the case. He has been a step slower since the injury.

The sad thing is, the Chiefs pass defense was much better with him in pass coverage than with him rushing the passer in 2017. Scary.

Raiderhater 03-15-2019 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 14159143)

Excellent post is excellent.

Hoover 03-15-2019 10:56 AM

Quote:

And thus couldn't it also be stated that the reason we were able to have such a good pass rush (you know number of sacks) is because Ford, Houston, Jones and the rest of the crew simply had the most opportunities?

I'm all onboard taking a giant wrecking ball to last year's defense and starting over. Its the smart thing to do.

duncan_idaho 03-15-2019 11:28 AM

I like this signing if for no other reason than improving the run defense.

I don’t expect the pass rush to be as productive, but long, run-based, clock-chewing drives are the No. 1 threat to the Chiefs offense.

Those were relatively easy to achieve last year, and the Patriots and Ravens both exhibited that late in the year.

A 43 under combined with adding Okafor and Speaks as starters on the edges will drastically improve the run D.

Next area of improvement is to add playmaking in the secondary and add guys who can hone in on the short area of the field and improve performance against quick routes. I feel like they’re close on that... adding a Cb and a S who can play the deep middle are still key parts of that.

srvy 03-15-2019 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 14158594)
Haven’t heard one thing about Houston having a visit anywhere.

Supposedly Pittsburgh and Baltimore are very interested.

St. Patty's Fire 03-15-2019 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 14159834)
I like this signing if for no other reason than improving the run defense.

I don’t expect the pass rush to be as productive, but long, run-based, clock-chewing drives are the No. 1 threat to the Chiefs offense.

Those were relatively easy to achieve last year, and the Patriots and Ravens both exhibited that late in the year.

A 43 under combined with adding Okafor and Speaks as starters on the edges will drastically improve the run D.

Next area of improvement is to add playmaking in the secondary and add guys who can hone in on the short area of the field and improve performance against quick routes. I feel like they’re close on that... adding a Cb and a S who can play the deep middle are still key parts of that.

I’m sure Mathieu is going to be moving around a lot, but I believe they want him to be the deep middle guy mainly. I can’t remember who exactly had the quote that said that but one of our beat writers had it.

Obviously, plans in March change, just throwing it out there.

duncan_idaho 03-15-2019 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnDONsey (Post 14159953)
I’m sure Mathieu is going to be moving around a lot, but I believe they want him to be the deep middle guy mainly. I can’t remember who exactly had the quote that said that but one of our beat writers had it.

Obviously, plans in March change, just throwing it out there.

Yeah, and I think he’ll do well. It seems like Adderly can do everything, too (cover WRs like a CB, play deep, play in box).

Would be pretty cool to have 2 interchangeable guys at S. Would give you a tremendous amount of flexibility and unpredictability in the back end, and let you make things tougher on QBs.

ChiefsCountry 03-15-2019 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 14159941)
Supposedly Pittsburgh and Baltimore are very interested.

Good fits for him in 3-4 defenses. Houston just wasn't a fit for our 4-3.

YontsRBake 03-16-2019 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 14159130)
Dee Ford doesn't fit in a 4-3 defense. Chiefs did the right thing. Some people are just too stupid.

Except a 4-3 team traded for him with the plan to play him at WDE and immediately paid him 17m per. So there definitely is at least 1 GM in the NFL who believes Dee Ford can play in a 4-3 and I don’t believe John Lynch is stupid.

YontsRBake 03-16-2019 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 14159035)
I think we all understand that the front 4 have to be on-point. I think we also understand that this is going to take some development and drafting as well.
I'm not gonna' freak out on ANY of this shit until we complete this FA and draft, and get our asses to camp. It's WAY too early to be calling things a success or a bust at this point.

At the end of the day, we blew up the #31 defense in the league and hired a coaching trifecta that the majority of teams in this league would LOVE to have. I'm not worried one bit.

I can agree with this and I will say I am probably over reacting. I just didn’t expect us to sign these replacements for such high amounts of money. My mindset was you either use a Wes Snead approach and add to what you have and go all in, or you completely gut it and open up tons of space.

I thought the Wes Snead approach was the way to go (even if it didn’t work out in the end for the Rams, their offense and QB aren’t as talented as ours) ofc I could be wrong and Veach might be a genius, time will tell.

IUsedToBeATightEnd 03-16-2019 06:44 AM

Typical 4-3 DE who puts pressure up the middle. This move makes sense in our future defense and follows Andy's ideas on QB pressure. Not at all surprised.

Chief_N_Bama 10-14-2019 07:57 AM

Just came back to bump some threads to remind some of y’all how stupid y’all are...

chiefzilla1501 10-14-2019 08:01 AM

Who was being stupid about anything. Nobody expected okafor to be Aaron Donald. We expected him to be a middling short term fix at DE. Of all the signings we've made I'm barely concerned about this one. If our coaching would get their shit together he could be adequate enough to fit what he was signed to do.

Chief_N_Bama 10-14-2019 08:03 AM

The conversation wasn’t about just Okafor...

Skyy God 10-14-2019 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief_N_Bama (Post 14524392)
Just came back to bump some threads to remind some of y’all how stupid y’all are...

You seem special.

TambaBerry 10-14-2019 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief_N_Bama (Post 14524392)

man you're a certain kind of dumbass. Lets avoid adding any opinions and just try to bash people for discussing things on a message board. None of us claim to be geniuses when it comes to football. Get a life you broke dick