ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Sporting KC Soccer Ratings down in the USA (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=316258)

BWillie 07-16-2018 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 13631259)
So you aren't a fan of guys like Jermaine Jones playing for the US? He was born in Germany to a German mother and American father who was stationed in Germany while serving in the US Army.

Use your head.

jd1020 07-16-2018 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13631277)
Use your head.

I'm just trying to figure out how many exceptions you have to your absurd stance.

Any odd player can't simply decide to play for a specific country. He has to have a link to that country with citizenship or family lineage and once he has played for a country in an official match he can't play for any other country ever.

chiefzilla1501 07-16-2018 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShiftyEyedWaterboy (Post 13631275)
Yeah, I flipped to an Atlanta match a couple weeks ago and noticed the stadium looked packed. MLS needs to try to steal some upper-tier in-their-prime players from Europe. Until then a ton of people are going to follow Euro teams. My dad's from Munich so I root for Bayern. I don't see myself following any MLS teams until they up their game. It would be like getting super into some AA baseball team. The stadiums filling up is a good sign, though.

MLS used to be about community followers. Those communities knew they were supporting second rate talent but were fine with it. Now, surprise surprise... some power hungry leaders want to turn it into the NFL. And it's killing US soccer. In order to make MLS more competitive, the MLS is refusing to send our best players overseas to play in the best leagues. Sure, it's made MLS more popular, which has helped us draw in washed out superstars like Zlatan and Beckham. But it's a horrible way to develop our talent.

The MLS should stop this delusion that they'll ever be anything but a B-league. Let's get back to sending our players to the best leagues to develop and build the best USMNT. But that will never happen. Because we have a moronic system where MLS and US Soccer are joined at the hip. Sadly, they're a lot more interested in growing MLS than making our USMNT more competitive. That's just sad.

Pitt Gorilla 07-16-2018 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13631201)
I'm trying to like soccer, but dear god is it hard. Part of soccer's popularity is it is what always was. It's what the Rest of the World grew up with and everyone told them to love it. If you grew up with a sport entrenched in your culture, you will probably be a follower. Just like baseball for us. Baseball IMO is a rather boring sport, and I acknowledge it and yet still follow it. Fortunately in the US we have other options as well. I give alot of credit to nations that create their own sport and get a massive following like Australian Rules football. Lots of respect there. Going their own way.

I’d recommend having kids who are super good at it; that’s when I really started to watch.

ShiftyEyedWaterboy 07-16-2018 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 13631318)
MLS used to be about community followers. Those communities knew they were supporting second rate talent but were fine with it. Now, surprise surprise... some power hungry leaders want to turn it into the NFL. And it's killing US soccer. In order to make MLS more competitive, the MLS is refusing to send our best players overseas to play in the best leagues. Sure, it's made MLS more popular, which has helped us draw in washed out superstars like Zlatan and Beckham. But it's a horrible way to develop our talent.

The MLS should stop this delusion that they'll ever be anything but a B-league. Let's get back to sending our players to the best leagues to develop and build the best USMNT. But that will never happen. Because we have a moronic system where MLS and US Soccer are joined at the hip. Sadly, they're a lot more interested in growing MLS than making our USMNT more competitive. That's just sad.

It seems pretty common sense to me that sending our players to Europe and developing a strong NT would lead to MLS growing due to increased popularity of the sport here. Increased popularity leading to more and more good US players. It would take decades but it would happen. Is it just an instant gratification thing?

Titty Meat 07-16-2018 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShiftyEyedWaterboy (Post 13631350)
It seems pretty common sense to me that sending our players to Europe and developing a strong NT would lead to MLS growing due to increased popularity of the sport here. Increased popularity leading to more and more good US players. It would take decades but it would happen. Is it just an instant gratification thing?

The MLS isnt growing its ratings are some of the worst along with the downslide of the World Cup ratings in the US

lewdog 07-16-2018 05:43 PM

I wouldn’t watch soccer with Billay’s eyes!!!

Chief Roundup 07-16-2018 05:47 PM

It is one of if not the most boring sport.

chiefzilla1501 07-16-2018 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShiftyEyedWaterboy (Post 13631350)

Follow the money. Look at how Garber has grown the MLS. Almost every damn MLS stadium is in the northeast, west coast, and Texas. He's even looking to add even MORE teams to california and Texas. Look at his policy of refusing to ship his best guys to Europe. Look at how he's trying to sabotage the NASL. Garber wants to fill stadiums and he wants to make money. To hell with what it means for building a good NT.

Even with PR nightmare of not making the world cup. Even with a fan revolt wanting a complete breakup of the soccer leadership structure. The USMNT hired a "more of the same" guy. I really hope it doesn't take more NT embarrassment to finally do what's right for our NT which should be our absolute #1 priority.

eDave 07-16-2018 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13630951)
Every time I see an American person wearing an EPL jersey, I just want to punch them in the face. Just like if I see a European person wearing an NBA jersey. You have teams to root for from your home, how about ya just do that?

Are you going to punch us Chiefs fans here in Phoenix for wearing Chiefs stuff?

EPodolak 07-16-2018 06:22 PM

Enjoyed the World Cup much more than any recent Royals game.

BWillie 07-16-2018 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 13631465)
Are you going to punch us Chiefs fans here in Phoenix for wearing Chiefs stuff?

If you have no common link to Kansas City or own jerseys of some other pro team from another USA location, yes.

lewdog 07-16-2018 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13631542)
If you have no common link to Kansas City or own jerseys of some other pro team from another USA location, yes.

And those who grew up in states with no professional sports teams? You have a rule for that?

eDave 07-16-2018 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13631542)

At our last meetup, I was the only one from KC.

eDave 07-16-2018 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 13631558)
And those who grew up in states with no professional sports teams? You have a rule for that?

You have to be a Cardinal fan. Sorry.

To be fair, I'm enjoying the Diamondbacks season so far. Wanna go see a game? Bring your new puppy.