ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Let's talk about the 49ers (Super Bowl Edition) (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=352059)

Gary Cooper 01-31-2024 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 17378319)
Just curious where everyone ranks this 49ers team to the 3 we've played in our other Super Bowls? Think I'd go...

1. 2020 Bucs
2. 2022 Eagles
3. 2019 49ers
4. 2023 49ers

49ers offense is better than the first one we played most bc CMC/Aiyuk>Mostert/Sanders but their defense is much worse than that versions.

2020 Bucs
2023 49ers
2022 Eagles
2019 49ers

I think the current 49ers team is mentally tougher than 2019. They had two difficult playoff games this year. In recent years, they lost two Conference championships and a Super Bowl. They are a hungrier, more resilient team for it. The 2019 team had a smoother run with less adversity leading up to the SB. The mental part of the game is just as important as talent on paper.

Mecca 01-31-2024 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Cooper (Post 17378400)
2020 Bucs
2023 49ers
2022 Eagles
2019 49ers

I think the current 49ers team is mentally tougher than 2019. They had two difficult playoff games this year. In recent years, they lost two Conference championships and a Super Bowl. They are a hungrier, more resilient team for it. The 2019 team had a smoother run with less adversity leading up to the SB. The mental part of the game is just as important as talent on paper.

That 2019 team had a defense that was a million times better than this one with a better coordinator.

Why Not? 01-31-2024 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 17378398)
Bud Grant, Dan Reeves, Marv Levy... all 0-4 in SBs as head coaches.

Shanahan could be next if stacks another one here. Lotta pressure.

I was thinking about this earlier this week. Every era seems to have a good coach (I guess Reeves and Levy were close together but whatever) who can't ever get over the hump. It's been awhile since one has been identified. I think Shanahan would wear that quite nicely.

Gary Cooper 01-31-2024 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 17378409)
That 2019 team had a defense that was a million times better than this one with a better coordinator.

My post was more about adversity and mental fortitude. The 2019 team was relatively green. They were unchallenged until the Super Bowl. Since then, they've been to three Conference title games. They're battled tested and hungry. They played in two difficult games in these playoffs and had to come from behind. You can't just compare rosters and ignore the mental aspect. It's not Madden.

Bl00dyBizkitz 01-31-2024 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRM08 (Post 17378352)
Besides the injury problems, the KC team had a giant distraction with Coach Reid’s son right before the game. Might help explain the drop problems we saw from Kelce & Tyreek in that game.

But that Tampa team was pretty loaded. They spent years drafting in the Top 10. They added a GOAT quarterback, GOAT tight end, and Hall of Fame type of receiver. They had a ton of talent on both sides of the ball.

Looking back on it, even with a fully healthy O-Line and no Britt Reid distraction, were probably still worse off against those Bucs.

I thought we'd win even with all our issues. I was way too cocky lol.

Gary Cooper 01-31-2024 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bl00dyBizkitz (Post 17378423)
Looking back on it, even with a fully healthy O-Line and no Britt Reid distraction, were probably still worse off against those Bucs.

I thought we'd win even with all our issues. I was way too cocky lol.

I think we all did. Mahomes had never been blown out. Never had a bad playoff game. That season felt like every game was close but they were basically a 15-1 team. It was a rude awakening.

duncan_idaho 01-31-2024 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 17378409)

Yup.

Armstead hadn't declined yet. Buckner was still there (and better than Hargrave), Bosa was Bosa, they had to account for Ford.

Compare that to
Bosa
+
Declined Armstead now playing DT full-time
+
Hargrave (old and declining)
+
the ghosts of Chase Young (fat and out of shape) and Randy Gregory (washed) and Clelin Farrell (bust)

DRM08 01-31-2024 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Cooper (Post 17378427)
I think we all did. Mahomes had never been blown out. Never had a bad playoff game. That season felt like every game was close but they were basically a 15-1 team. It was a rude awakening.

That game is pretty good evidence that it's a team sport. Mahomes did some superhuman stuff in that game, including the best throw I've ever seen by any QB on 4th down with the game on the line. His receivers let him down every time in that game. Throw in a bunch of shady ref stuff in Brady's favor. Even Ray Lewis thought KC got screwed pretty bad by the refs. There was a toxic mix of injuries, distracted coaches, distracted players, and ref-ball slanting the game.

Bl00dyBizkitz 01-31-2024 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Cooper (Post 17378421)
My post was more about adversity and mental fortitude. The 2019 team was relatively green. They were unchallenged until the Super Bowl. Since then, they've been to three Conference title games. They're battled tested and hungry. They played in two difficult games in these playoffs and had to come from behind. You can't just compare rosters and ignore the mental aspect. It's not Madden.

I think that's valid. They've been in a losing position in the playoffs and know how to come from behind. Teams like the Ravens don't know how because they've never experienced it.

I'd say their Achilles Heel is Purdy vs. Top Defenses. He's just never performed well against them, despite all his weapons. And generally just coaching. Andy just dicks all over Shanahan every time they play.

But if we're to rank them, maybe you put these 2023 Niners above the 2019 Niners. I dont think you put them above the Eagles. That team was ridiculously good.

pugsnotdrugs19 01-31-2024 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 17378441)
Yup.

Armstead hadn't declined yet. Buckner was still there (and better than Hargrave), Bosa was Bosa, they had to account for Ford.

Compare that to
Bosa
+
Declined Armstead now playing DT full-time
+
Hargrave (old and declining)
+
the ghosts of Chase Young (fat and out of shape) and Randy Gregory (washed) and Clelin Farrell (bust)

The bigger difference is their current secondary vs. that 2019 version. And of course coaching.

Chieftain 01-31-2024 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Cooper (Post 17378421)
You can't just compare rosters and ignore the mental aspect.

But you can compare the mental aspect and ignore roster makeup?:hmmm:

Gary Cooper 01-31-2024 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chieftain (Post 17378455)
But you can compare the mental aspect and ignore roster makeup?:hmmm:

I didn't ignore it. That part is a given. Most would agree the rosters are inverted. The current 49ers have more weapons offensively. The O-line isn't as good but they have playmakers all over the field. Their 4th best weapon this season is Samuel. Meanwhile, the 2019 team had a much better defense. They're both good teams, just with different strengths.

ToxSocks 01-31-2024 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 17378319)
Just curious where everyone ranks this 49ers team to the 3 we've played in our other Super Bowls? Think I'd go...

1. 2020 Bucs
2. 2022 Eagles
3. 2019 49ers
4. 2023 49ers

49ers offense is better than the first one we played most bc CMC/Aiyuk>Mostert/Sanders but their defense is much worse than that versions.

1. 2022 Eagles
2. 2019 49ers
3. 2020 Bucs
4. 2023 49ers

Gary Cooper 01-31-2024 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bl00dyBizkitz (Post 17378450)
I think that's valid. They've been in a losing position in the playoffs and know how to come from behind. Teams like the Ravens don't know how because they've never experienced it.

I'd say their Achilles Heel is Purdy vs. Top Defenses. He's just never performed well against them, despite all his weapons. And generally just coaching. Andy just dicks all over Shanahan every time they play.

But if we're to rank them, maybe you put these 2023 Niners above the 2019 Niners. I dont think you put them above the Eagles. That team was ridiculously good.

I was torn on that.

The 2022 Eagles were very talented but ultimately overrated and mentally soft. They faced Daniel Jones in their first playoff game, followed by McCaffrey at QB when Purdy got hurt. ZERO adversity going into the SB. One of the easiest roads you'll see a team have. No wonder they folded in 2023 when they were challenged.

Chieftain 01-31-2024 03:01 PM

We aren't just beating the whiners but the donk residue that comes with that team. Double the pleasure, double the fun.