ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   MU ****Official 2017 Missouri Tigers Football Thread**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=308853)

Rams Fan 11-12-2017 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 13212807)
I think there is a difference between winning four straight and beating the **** out of four straight teams, especially when you lost and/or struggled against similar teams earlier in the year.

What teams of Florida, Tennesse, UConn, and Idaho caliber did Mizzou play earlier in the season?

Missouri St.? Purdue?

Yes, dropping 40+ in 5 consecutive games is impressive(and challenging regardless of the opponent), but to act as if this means ZOMG ODOM IS AMAZING AND EVERYTHING IS GREAT WITH MIZZOU FOOTBALL, is an overreaction.

Mosbonian 11-12-2017 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 13212712)
Do you think they'd be able to stop Benny Snell right now?

Keep ****ing doubting UK football.

Let's not act like UK buried Mizzou in that game.......and you forget that Mizzou was driving on a UK defense that evidently couldn't stop them anymore than MU was stopping UK's offense that night. And that game could have ended differently had the Official not cost Mizzou some valuable seconds by not doing his job correctly at the end.

And before you start bad-mouthing MU's strength of schedule, let's review the teams that UK has beaten....Southern Miss, Eastern Kentucky, Eastern Michigan. Kentucky barely beat (at home) a Tennessee team that MU just demolished, and they lost to a Florida team that MU demolished.

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-12-2017 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 13212816)
What teams of Florida, Tennesse, UConn, and Idaho caliber did Mizzou play earlier in the season?

Missouri St.? Purdue?

Yup. Gave up 43 to the worst team they've played this year and lost by 32 to the other.

It's not just playing easier opponents.

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-12-2017 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 13212816)
EVERYTHING IS GREAT WITH MIZZOU FOOTBALL, is an overreaction.

Who has done this?

Rams Fan 11-12-2017 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 13212042)
I'm amazed at this turnaround. I thought the steps Barry Odom was taking heading into the UGa game were signs of a coach who was spinning out of control and about to lose it.

But he deserves major credit for righting the ship, keeping his team from quitting, and finding a way to move forward.

Yes, Missouri is in the soft part of its schedule. Yes, a major opportunity was missed (play like this from the start, and Missouri is definitely the winner against South Carolina, Kentucky, and Purdue, which puts them in position to potentially win 10 games... the type of season that would have allowed them to make a major impact in recruiting THIS year.

But still... closing the season with 7 straight wins, which looks possible now, would be an awesome step forward for Odom and his staff and give them the opportunity to build this program back up.

It probably won't resonate heavily in the current recruiting class, but they can take this momentum into the 2018 season and 2019 recruiting class.

Half of the official depth chart is players from recruiting classes Odom was involved with, and there are 6-8 additional players getting major minutes who qualify two. He hasn't signed flashy classes, but they have shown an ability to find guys who are underrated, which is a key skill for a Missouri coaching staff.

IF Drew Lock returns, this team could have a really special season in Year 3. They'll almost certainly lose Terry Beckner, Jr, which is a huge blow to the defensive front, but the offense would return:

Lock
Rountree/Crockett
Jon Johnson, hall, Richard Floyd
Albert O/Blanton
9/10 of OL two-deep

That's incredibly exciting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by POND_OF_RED (Post 13211835)
It's definitely exciting. You can tell the players believe in Odom. A lot of teams would have rolled over after the 1-5 start. This team has been playing great football over the past month. Hoping year 3 is like Odoms third year at Memphis when they completely turned there program around.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 13212828)
Who has done this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosbonian (Post 13212823)
Let's not act like UK buried Mizzou in that game.......and you forget that Mizzou was driving on a UK defense that evidently couldn't stop them anymore that MU was stopping UK's offense that night. And that game could have ended differently had the Official not cost Mizzou some valuable seconds by not doing his job correctly at the end.

I've been at every home game this year for UK football and am well aware of how they played vs Mizzou. And yes, the game could have ended differently if the ref called a delay of game on the defense. But he didn't. Just like UK could have had a different outcome if the fumble with under a minute to go wasn't overturned vs Ole Miss. But it was. Or if the hold vs Florida to set up a field goal wasn't called. But it was. In the first game of the season for UK, this was called a ****ing first down on a 4th down attempt for Southern Miss:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIxB058XkAAWS4G.jpg

Shit happens.

There are a handful of plays that probably go in the wrong direction for either team in any game. Mizzou shouldn't have had to rely on a ref calling a penalty or stopping the clock if they weren't trying to score at the end if they had put themselves in a position where they didn't have to dig themselves out of a hole.

I'm just happy for the first time all season UK won by 14 points or more yesterday.

Frazod 11-12-2017 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosbonian (Post 13212823)
Let's not act like UK buried Mizzou in that game.......and you forget that Mizzou was driving on a UK defense that evidently couldn't stop them anymore that MU was stopping UK's offense that night. And that game could have ended differently had the Official not cost Mizzou some valuable seconds by not doing his job correctly at the end.

No shit about that ****ing ref. I've never seen an official at any level waste that much time placing the ball in that situation. Sure looked deliberate to me. Good ol' boy taking it to those goddamn yankees.

Titty Meat 11-12-2017 03:28 PM

Still think in the long term you're in trouble with shit recruiting but with that said good luck getting a good coach after firing a guy 2 years in who's won the last 4 and could possibly make it 6 games.

You're stuck in a weird situation Tiger fans.

Mosbonian 11-12-2017 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 13212732)
I think people are getting a bit too optimistic after running the table against some trash teams.

Everyone has trash team games.....if you are going to go down that slippery slope then you have to start assigning points for "quality wins" vs. "non-quality wins"...plus you have to look at "quality losses" vs. "non-quality losses".

I think you have to look at it this way....Mizzou did in the last 4 games what they should do against teams like that....nothing more, nothing less.

I choose to look at it as an opportunity for this team to get to a bowl game to have those extra practices in December and to put some positive mojo on the recruiting trail.

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-12-2017 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooter Libby (Post 13212879)
Still think in the long term you're in trouble with shit recruiting but with that said good luck getting a good coach after firing a guy 2 years in who's won the last 4 and could possibly make it 6 games.

You're stuck in a weird situation Tiger fans.

Recruiting has not been great, but Crockett, Rountree, Durant, Castillo, Simms, Albert O, Micah Wilson, Tre Williams, Whiteside, Utsey, Turner, and Acy are all starters or rotation players and have played well.

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-12-2017 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 13212838)

That is decidedly not "everything is great" in all caps.

Mosbonian 11-12-2017 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 13212838)
.I've been at every home game this year for UK football and am well aware of how they played vs Mizzou. And yes, the game could have ended differently if the ref called a delay of game on the defense. But he didn't. Just like UK could have had a different outcome if the fumble with under a minute to go wasn't overturned vs Ole Miss. But it was. Or if the hold vs Florida to set up a field goal wasn't called. But it was. In the first game of the season for UK, this was called a ****ing first down on a 4th down attempt for Southern Miss:

Shit happens.

There are a handful of plays that probably go in the wrong direction for either team in any game. Mizzou shouldn't have had to rely on a ref calling a penalty or stopping the clock if they weren't trying to score at the end if they had put themselves in a position where they didn't have to dig themselves out of a hole.

I'm just happy for the first time all season UK won by 14 points or more yesterday.

I noticed you deftly avoided acknowledging that Kentucky has played a soft schedule...

My problem with your arguments is that you are acting like UK is head and shoulders above MU when in fact they are the definite benefactor of soft non-conference schedule and a weak eastern conference, just like Mizzou.

BTW.....I agree that the call in the FL game was iffy.

To answer your original question.....yes, I think that MU would beat UK if they played a 2nd time.

Mosbonian 11-12-2017 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13212856)
No shit about that ****ing ref. I've never seen an official at any level waste that much time placing the ball in that situation. Sure looked deliberate to me. Good ol' boy taking it to those goddamn yankees.

Yeah.....I've seen some incompetence but that guy should have been punished for that level of stupidity.

Rams Fan 11-12-2017 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosbonian (Post 13212945)
I noticed you deftly avoided acknowledging that Kentucky has played a soft schedule...

My problem with your arguments is that you are acting like UK is head and shoulders above MU when in fact they are the definite benefactor of soft non-conference schedule and a weak eastern conference, just like Mizzou.

BTW.....I agree that the call in the FL game was iffy.

To answer your original question.....yes, I think that MU would beat UK if they played a 2nd time.

The only call out of the 3 that I mentioned that I was actually livid about was the Southern Miss call(UK ended up winning, but still).

UK has played a soft schedule, yes. Their non-conference opponents are EKU, Southern Miss, and Louisville. They've won 2 of the 3(and honestly should win the the 3rd). The difference between them and Mizzou, however, is all but 2 of their games now(a blowout win and a blowout loss), have been decided by 14 points or less. They are 6-2 in those games. Unlike Mizzou, they've won close games.

Being at the Florida game until the end is the most depressing experience I've had in terms of sports, even more so than attending any Rams game. Florida was a better team that night-and probably has more talent than UK-but blowing that lead is inexcusable.

Mosbonian 11-12-2017 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 13212957)
The only call out of the 3 that I mentioned that I was actually livid about was the Southern Miss call(UK ended up winning, but still).

UK has played a soft schedule, yes. Their non-conference opponents are EKU, Southern Miss, and Louisville. They've won 2 of the 3(and honestly should win the the 3rd). The difference between them and Mizzou, however, is all but 2 of their games now(a blowout win and a blowout loss), have been decided by 14 points or less. They are 6-2 in those games. Unlike Mizzou, they've won close games.

Being at the Florida game until the end is the most depressing experience I've had in terms of sports, even more so than attending any Rams game. Florida was a better team that night-and probably has more talent than UK-but blowing that lead is inexcusable.

UK's non conference are Southern Miss, EKU, Eastern Michigan and Louisville.....you barely beat Southern Miss, EKU is UK's equivalence of MU's Mo State, and UK barely beat a bad Eastern Michigan team. I am betting that the game with Louisville is going to be a shoot-out with the team with the ball last winning the game.

There is a good chance that UK will end up 7-5 just like Mizzou.....I think GA will take out their frustrations on Kentucky next weekend, and Lamar Jackson will light up UK.

Rams Fan 11-12-2017 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosbonian (Post 13213006)
UK's non conference are Southern Miss, EKU, Eastern Michigan and Louisville.....you barely beat Southern Miss, EKU is UK's equivalence of MU's Mo State, and UK barely beat a bad Eastern Michigan team. I am betting that the game with Louisville is going to be a shoot-out with the team with the ball last winning the game.

There is a good chance that UK will end up 7-5 just like Mizzou.....I think GA will take out their frustrations on Kentucky next weekend, and Lamar Jackson will light up UK.

Just like how they were supposed to win by 28 last year right?