ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals *** Official 2017 Royals Repository *** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=306961)

'Hamas' Jenkins 10-14-2017 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 13148879)
Cueto was certainly our ace in the 2015 postseason.

You can't call a guy an ace if you have to start him at home because you're terrified of what will happen to him if he pitches on the road.

Chiefspants 10-14-2017 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 13148890)
You can't call a guy an ace if you have to start him at home because you're terrified of what will happen to him if he pitches on the road.

Is Kershaw not an ace because they're afraid to put him in during the 7th inning?

Semantics. Whatever. He pitched two 2 hitters in the 2015 postseason, and a historic complete game in Game 2 of the World Series.

Call it whatever you want to, but Cueto was unhittable when he was on that postseason, and we likely don't win the 15' series without him.

Demonpenz 10-15-2017 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superbowltrashcan (Post 13148881)
If he was on the Royals' staff at the start of this year, I assume he would have pitched Opening Day, don't you? Not being a smart aleck just wondering if this premise is one you agree with and if so doesn't it support the "Ace" moniker?

I would still think duffy would have been ahead of him I might be wrong but it seems like Verlander hasn't been good for a couple years and just recently found it again. Could be wrong etc just seems like people are talking like this is Verlander of 10 years ago.

Prison Bitch 10-15-2017 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 13148890)

This

Prison Bitch 10-15-2017 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 13148876)
Far be it for me to agree with Hootie, but I'd rather have an ace pitcher than not. It doesn't guarantee anything, but when you're in the playoffs everyone has decent pitching. Obviously someone is going to lose.
er.

But that's not what the Grantland study showed. That was the entire argument: they found almost ZERO correlation between regular season and postseason performance since the 1969 expanded format

siberian khatru 10-15-2017 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 13149007)
I would still think duffy would have been ahead of him I might be wrong but it seems like Verlander hasn't been good for a couple years and just recently found it again. Could be wrong etc just seems like people are talking like this is Verlander of 10 years ago.

Verlander finished second in the Cy Young voting in 2016 after putting up a 6.6 bWAR season.

Chiefspants 10-15-2017 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 13149280)
Verlander finished second in the Cy Young voting in 2016 after putting up a 6.6 bWAR season.

And let's be real, he should have won.

duncan_idaho 10-15-2017 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 13149286)
And let's be real, he should have won.

Yes. Because Rick Porcello is really garbage.

Kate Upton was rather upset. She thought she was the only person who got to **** Verlander.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chiefspants 10-15-2017 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 13149401)
Yes. Because Rick Porcello is really garbage.

Kate Upton was rather upset. She thought she was the only person who got to **** Verlander.

I hope those two Tampa writers who voted when there was still two weeks left to the season were banished to Siberia.

tk13 10-15-2017 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 13149136)
But that's not what the Grantland study showed. That was the entire argument: they found almost ZERO correlation between regular season and postseason performance since the 1969 expanded format

I am not arguing that the best pitchers in the regular season are always the best pitchers in the postseason. I'm fairly sure that's not true. Just look at Clayton Kershaw.

I'm saying that most teams who win have an true ace pitcher who they can either A) hand the ball to and trust to go 8-9 innings or B) is so good they bring him in relief on short rest because he's such a good pitcher. Even in this era of power bullpens every winning team this decade has done that. Jon Lester won game 5 then pitched 3 innings of relief last year in game 7 on short rest. Cueto threw one of the best starts in recent playoff history. We all know what Bumgarner has done. The Cardinals could hand the ball to Chris Carpenter and he'd deliver.

I'm pretty sure every one of those guys is a multi-time All-Star and has finished 1st or 2nd in the Cy Young voting... except for Bumgarner, who might be the best postseason pitcher of all time. But go ahead and say he's not an ace pitcher.

Chiefspants 10-15-2017 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 13149132)
This

We paid a high price for Cueto so we could have an ace that we could hand the ball to in the World Series.

Ultimately, he responded by pitching a two hitter and giving us a championship. He did exactly what we were hoping he would do.

duncan_idaho 10-16-2017 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 13149472)
We paid a high price for Cueto so we could have an ace that we could hand the ball to in the World Series.

Ultimately, responded by pitching a two hitter and giving us a championship. He did exactly what we were hoping he would do.

And, ultimately, the price ended up being a pittance.

A fringe major league player and two relievers...

Chiefspants 10-16-2017 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 13155761)
And, ultimately, the price ended up being a pittance.

A fringe major league player and two relievers...

Oh absolutely. The fact that there is still any lingering disappointment over Cueto is baffling to me. The dude was simply legendary in a do or die game and on the game's biggest stage just two weeks later. Cueto's contributions to our championship are criminally underrated in KC.

Seriously, I highly recommend everyone re-watch either Game 5 of the ALDS or Game 2 of the WS. I had forgotten how dominant Cueto was in those performances, and to borrow a premonition from Hootie, I don't think KC had an ace-like performance like that since the Greinke era (though one could make an argument for Shields in August-September of 14').

Love you always, Cueto.

https://mudshvlst.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/kc72.jpg

Prison Bitch 10-16-2017 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 13149472)

Ultimately, he responded by pitching a two hitter and giving us a championship. He did exactly what we were hoping he would do.

I'm glad we got him but you conveniently left out his so-so regular season for us, his poor start vd HOU and his absolute firebombing in toronto

Chiefspants 10-16-2017 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 13156142)
I'm glad we got him but you conveniently left out his so-so regular season for us, his poor start vd HOU and his absolute firebombing in toronto

The regular season stoof is white noise to me, I honestly wouldn't have cared if Johnny posted a 135.00 ERA in the regular season. He was brought in for one reason, and that was to deliver in the playoffs. Johnny did just that. IIRC, Madison Bumgarner got firebombed in the September of 14', but I doubt any Giants fans are left ruminating on that.

As for the first Houston start and the start against Toronto, after watching the likes of Kershaw and Kluber get rocked in the postseason, bad starts against top-tier lineups are bound to happen, I think (your own analysis about postseason aces applies here). However, I think what separates truly dominant performers from the fact is found in their dominant starts - and Cueto delivered two of those with the highest stakes in the game.