ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto ***Official Car and Gearhead Thread*** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=291377)

Baby Lee 01-23-2018 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13378198)
No you said a piece of steering linkage/ suspension was a part of a drive train. No $2 words change that. Epigrammaticly A ball joint is not a part of the drive train.

Or, be an asshole. If you adamantly prefer.

I already said I was purposefully colloquial in order to avoid the board's usual charges of hypertechnicality.

No one was confused at the reference, including you.

But you alone harbored butthurt over a mild contradiction of your premise, so you decided to try to change the subject.

cooper barrett 01-23-2018 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 13378229)
Or, be an asshole. If you adamantly prefer.

I already said I was purposefully colloquial in order to avoid the board's usual charges of hypertechnicality.

No one was confused at the reference, including you.

But you alone harbored butthurt over a mild contradiction of your premise, so you decided to try to change the subject.

So what you saying is that "Imbalanced or frictional tires and brakes" can cause a shimmy or an abnormal vibration but not a ball joint? In fact what it says is the loose ball joint would exacerbate the problem but not be the cause?

Baby Lee 01-23-2018 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13378240)
So what you saying is that "Imbalanced or frictional tires and brakes" can cause a shimmy or an abnormal vibration but not a ball joint? In fact what it says is the loose ball joint would exacerbate the problem but not be the cause?

I can't even figure out the syntax of what you're trying to say, if anything, at this point.

Vibration is largely caused by imbalanced or frictionally compromised spinning mass.

Ball joints are part of the feedback control system to smooth out these types of vibrations and maintain directional control. They don't have the mass or the angular velocity to actually be a cause of vibration on par with wheels or discs.

But it often more important from a safety standpoint to repair the feedback control system than the imbalanced rotating mass.

SAUTO 01-23-2018 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13378211)

A loose ball joint on a front wheel drive car can cause a shimmy by making the cv joints out of align also.

But you should have known that already

SAUTO 01-23-2018 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13378240)

What would a normal vibration be?

SAUTO 01-23-2018 12:37 PM

A motor mount can also cause a shimmy...

GloryDayz 01-23-2018 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac459 (Post 13378218)
Is this the correct time to let everyone know that replacing ball joints in my TJ fixed the shimmy in it

SAUTO hook you up?

hometeam 01-23-2018 01:50 PM

ALL I WANT TO DO IS BUILD A HOTROD TRUCK AND YOU GUYS ARE BEING DICKS

cooper barrett 01-23-2018 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAUTO (Post 13378257)
A loose ball joint on a front wheel drive car can cause a shimmy by making the cv joints out of align also.

But you should have known that already

SAuto,

I have never seen one that could still be called a ball joint that could cause a a CV joint to cause an vibration. I guess after it breaks and takes out the strut rod, separates the axle, and the tire folds up under the car....But one would think that a prudent person would have heard the metal to metal clunking but then there are some...

http://thechronicleherald.ca/sites/d...FS3PNU6.11.jpg

I would say that the amount of movement caused by a loose ball joint and other steering and suspension parts could cause a vibration from the outer joint but the CV is made to move outward to make up for the 1/4" of in or out play of a wasted BJ The joints themselves would easily take up the 1/4" of front to back movement. So, unless something is broken, just hanging on, I just don't see it.

There is a term VUEDayJa Which basically means "Ain't never seen nothing like that before." It is a big word especially when looking for gremlins. Therefore I am not going to say it "can't happen" because we have all seen things that theoretically can't happen.

Perineum Ripper 01-23-2018 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 13378347)
SAUTO hook you up?

I actually did it myself. I have thought about seeing if he could track me down some vortec heads for my new project coming up

cooper barrett 01-23-2018 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAUTO (Post 13378261)
A motor mount can also cause a shimmy...

If it's being torqued to put other components in stress. Quit busting my balls and trim a piece of guy wire from a radio tower and some clamps. and fix it hillbilly style.

GloryDayz 01-23-2018 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac459 (Post 13378376)
I actually did it myself. I have thought about seeing if he could track me down some vortec heads for my new project coming up

He might track-down head for CP members. That's good information...

LMAO :thumb:

cooper barrett 01-23-2018 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 13378498)

There are always CPers looking for head.ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

Perineum Ripper 01-23-2018 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 13378498)

If I can find a good mechanic, who can track down quality head, then that mechanic will have a lifetime customer

SAUTO 01-23-2018 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac459 (Post 13378376)

ive got a blown up 99 350 sitting on an engine stand as we speak...

SAUTO 01-23-2018 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13378374)
SAuto,

I have never seen one that could still be called a ball joint that could cause a a CV joint to cause an vibration. I guess after it breaks and takes out the strut rod, separates the axle, and the tire folds up under the car....But one would think that a prudent person would have heard the metal to metal clunking but then there are some...

http://thechronicleherald.ca/sites/d...FS3PNU6.11.jpg

I would say that the amount of movement caused by a loose ball joint and other steering and suspension parts could cause a vibration from the outer joint but the CV is made to move outward to make up for the 1/4" of in or out play of a wasted BJ The joints themselves would easily take up the 1/4" of front to back movement. So, unless something is broken, just hanging on, I just don't see it.

There is a term VUEDayJa Which basically means "Ain't never seen nothing like that before." It is a big word especially when looking for gremlins. Therefore I am not going to say it "can't happen" because we have all seen things that theoretically can't happen.

just because google didnt tell you it doesnt mean it isnt true.

and ive seen some FWD vehicles that a loose ball joint will let the wheel move in and out over 2 inches on the the side opposite the tie rods.

your picture is of a BROKEN ball joint, not a loose one. Just so you know, google might have left that fact out. AND that vehicle looks to not even HAVE a strut rod...

SAUTO 01-23-2018 04:46 PM

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...ll-joint-front

look i can google too...

you should probably read this one.

SAUTO 01-23-2018 04:49 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umooj6Hwrqc

here's another one.

cooper barrett 01-23-2018 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac459 (Post 13378635)
If I can find a good mechanic, who can track down quality head, then that mechanic will have a lifetime customer

Perineum Ripper 01-23-2018 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAUTO (Post 13378650)
ive got a blown up 99 350 sitting on an engine stand as we speak...

How much would you like for the heads

SAUTO 01-23-2018 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac459 (Post 13378691)
How much would you like for the heads

You coming to get them?

REDHOTGTO 01-23-2018 05:43 PM

ive been watchin this thread for a while, and it seems like all you guys are interested in newer cars. would there be an interest in a true "garage find " one owner very old car?
if so I will gather up my pics and post it here soon.
thx
goatboy

Perineum Ripper 01-23-2018 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAUTO (Post 13378701)
You coming to get them?

Yes sir

SAUTO 01-23-2018 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REDHOTGTO (Post 13378746)
ive been watchin this thread for a while, and it seems like all you guys are interested in newer cars. would there be an interest in a true "garage find " one owner very old car?
thx
goatboy

Well yes. Of course.

I love them all

SAUTO 01-23-2018 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac459 (Post 13378751)
Yes sir

Ill get the numbers off them tomorrow. If they are what you want you can probably just have them. Ill make sure when my buddy stops by to bring me my keys. The motor is out of his tahoe. He's been trashing my shop every night changing it. He's not a car guy so in pretty sure he's just going to trash all the old stuff. Shit you want the block too? Spun a couple rods.

Perineum Ripper 01-23-2018 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAUTO (Post 13378826)
Ill get the numbers off them tomorrow. If they are what you want you can probably just have them. Ill make sure when my buddy stops by to bring me my keys. The motor is out of his tahoe. He's been trashing my shop every night changing it. He's not a car guy so in pretty sure he's just going to trash all the old stuff. Shit you want the block too? Spun a couple rods.

I will take anything and everything that he doesn't want..I will come get them and buy you a beer if you can get me everything for free or for a good price

SAUTO 01-23-2018 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac459 (Post 13378834)
I will take anything and everything that he doesn't want..I will come get them and buy you a beer if you can get me everything for free or for a good price

Ok. Ill let you know. Around where are you coming from?

Perineum Ripper 01-23-2018 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAUTO (Post 13378837)
Ok. Ill let you know. Around where are you coming from?

Columbia

GloryDayz 01-23-2018 07:01 PM

And THIS is why CP is so awesome. People like SAUTO makeit awesome!

MIAdragon 01-23-2018 07:01 PM

Quote:

thx
goatboy

Yup

Buehler445 01-23-2018 07:54 PM

Quote:

thx
goatboy

Post them up!

cooper barrett 01-23-2018 08:12 PM

[QUOTE=SAUTO;13378663]https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...ll-joint-front

Your proof source is an computer tech startup as an e commerce/ marketing company promoting on-site mechanics. They price work on line then send a guy like in the video to fdo it You know, the guy who goes out and works in parking lots for 20- 25% less than what you charge.
I don't know who Ed Ruelas is (his name is on every article they feature) but he is not to be found anywhere on their investor(angel*) site and is not listed as an employee, investor, or in any capacity other than putting his name on what I would call "Plagiarized" writing. Ashton Kutchner is an investor if that's a plus.
Here's a run down on the Silicon Valley computer nerds who run and operate the company. https://angel.co/yourmechanic You should read. This start up has $24M in financing to market as a E-commerce business marketing driveway mechanics that you order up over the web.
https://s26.postimg.org/yb2o6tdyh/mym.jpg

Your YOUTUBE driveway mechanic failed to inspect the tires properly.

In this case you can see the sipes in the tire that are circled. Where the sipes are still visible is marked as a H and where the tire no longer has sipes the tire is marked L. You can also see that the tire is not down on it's tread stabilization bars except in one spot.
Can you see the depth of the tread, the clear view of the sipes in the tread?

https://s26.postimg.org/igsdaaort/bjj.jpg

I know that even though this vehicle needed the ball joint that the tire was the customers complaint. How do I know? Look at the inside of this tire in the pic. There is no sipes and the tire is worn far worse than the above picture. It is worn down to the treas stabilization bars and is for all cause a worn out tire. This tire unsafe for wear reasons and because it is out of round.

https://s26.postimg.org/6rodm9snd/baljj.jpg

This mechanic both sent the customer down the road with an unsafe tire and without an alignment to insure the car both handled and wore tires as designed.

I posted the picture of a FWD car that had a Shimmy caused by a ball joint, you should be happy. It was really for entertainment.

Like these guys
https://media.npr.org/assets/img/201...3-s900-c85.jpg

cooper barrett 01-23-2018 08:14 PM

Quote:

thx
goatboy

is it a Pontaic SD?

cooper barrett 01-23-2018 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 13378857)
And THIS is why CP is so awesome. People like SAUTO makeit awesome!

That is Kewl how that worked out, now the heads have to be the right ones.

SAUTO 01-23-2018 08:21 PM

I wasn't posting "proof" of my claims. I was doing you. Googling it.

GloryDayz 01-23-2018 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13378977)
That is Kewl how that worked out, now the heads have to be the right ones.

I have a feeling SAUTO will work with him via PM to make sure they're right.

Look friend, you're barking up the wrong tree. SAUTO is good people, he's helpful, and provides some darn good advice. Not that we're close to his shop, but he could work on the Big Red Truck any day otherwise. He's earned it.

srvy 01-23-2018 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13377864)
Getting myself a cup of coffee....

I'll try to wrap my mind around "drive train" comment.

This is code for googling.

srvy 01-23-2018 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 13378185)
Is this code for a good massage joint?

ROFL

GloryDayz 01-23-2018 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 13379020)

Personally I YouTube. I like the A1 Auto videos.

srvy 01-23-2018 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 13379028)

Oh me to ewe tube is my friend.

cooper barrett 01-23-2018 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 13379015)
I have a feeling SAUTO will work with him via PM to make sure they're right.

Look friend, you're barking up the wrong tree. SAUTO is good people, he's helpful, and provides some darn good advice. Not that we're close to his shop, but he could work on the Big Red Truck any day otherwise. He's earned it.

Big red truck? I am partial to little red trucks....

https://www.allpar.com/photos/dodge/...ress-truck.jpg

A rental house I had in KC KS that I used to have had one of there in the garage/ carport next door. It turned out to be Pete Gross's from Gross Auto Salvage. He had a couple more Hemi toys in the real garage he wouldn't let anyone see.

I hear you...

cooper barrett 01-23-2018 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 13379020)

..-. ..- -.-. -.- | --- ..-. ..-. | -.-- --- ..- | .- ... ... -.-. .-.. --- .-- -. :D:D

Sometimes Google saves time.ROFLROFLROFLROFL

cooper barrett 01-23-2018 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 13379028)

He is better than most, thats for sure,

The best one, that helped me personally, was a guy in Hampton VA who did one of drip timing Mercedes 5 cyl diesels. I can't find it now. When you hit it dead on my old 300CD would fly(for a deisel)

GloryDayz 01-23-2018 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13379174)

A rental house I had in KC KS that I used to have had one of there in the garage/ carport next door. It turned out to be Pete Gross's from Gross Auto Salvage. He had a couple more Hemi toys in the real garage he wouldn't let anyone see.

I hear you...

Nope, 2002 Silverado 1500. Chiefs Whore-Ass red..

It's been a great truck. I only hate it when it breaks. Then I love it when I realize I don't have a vehicle payment. Rusting rear wheel beds and all. Yeah, I started getting the rot 18 months ago...

But I love this truck.

srvy 01-23-2018 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13379174)

I hear you...

Seemed like everyone had a lil red truck in Northland KC except me. I had a 58 VW beetle :D

GloryDayz 01-23-2018 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 13379192)
Seemed like everyone had a lil red truck in Northland KC except me. I had a 58 VW beetle :D

And got more vag sex, and the only one who got anal too.. 58 Beetle is ****ing awesome... You can pull the motor by yourself and rebuild it in a day.

srvy 01-23-2018 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 13379197)
And got more vag sex, and the only one who got anal too.. 58 Beetle is ****ing awesome... You can pull the motor by yourself and rebuild it in a day.

Thats exactly what Dad and I did many moons ago. It also was built for Canada/Alaska had a catalytic heater. I could park turn off the motor put the 8 track in and get to business.

cooper barrett 01-23-2018 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 13379190)
Nope, 2002 Silverado 1500. Chiefs Whore-Ass red..

It's been a great truck. I only hate it when it breaks. Then I love it when I realize I don't have a vehicle payment. Rusting rear wheel beds and all. Yeah, I started getting the rot 18 months ago...

But I love this truck.

Door handle Red Truck

cooper barrett 01-23-2018 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 13379192)

I had only seen one LRT and it was up in the Antioch Mall area years ago other than Pete's. It pulled into the Macy's Auto Center when it was called Car Clinic, before becoming Sparks.

GloryDayz 01-23-2018 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 13379204)
Thats exactly what Dad and I did many moons ago. It also was built for Canada/Alaska had a catalytic heater. I could park turn off the motor put the 8 track in and get to business.

Those old VWs are more responsible for babies than broken rubbers... I was driving a 76 dodge Dart Sport, the dude on the opposite side of the D-line had a 72 VW (close to what you see below), and he was ****ing cheerleaders and tagging teachers too! Not that his ****ing a teacher (or two) made the news!

Before anybody freaks out, we're old... The age was 18... If not ethical, everything was legal and nobody whined.

GloryDayz 01-23-2018 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13379206)
Door handle Red Truck

Eggs-Zacklty.. After 16 years it's a lot like a Ford (Fix Or Repair Daily), but more like every 8 months.

But the lights on the radio and parts of the dash have been out for two years... Not worth the trouble to fix..

cooper barrett 01-24-2018 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 13379231)
Those old VWs are more responsible for babies than broken rubbers... I was driving a 76 dodge Dart Sport, the dude on the opposite side of the D-line had a 72 VW (close to what you see below), and he was ****ing cheerleaders and tagging teachers too! Not that his ****ing a teacher (or two) made the news!

Before anybody freaks out, we're old... The age was 18... If not ethical, everything was legal and nobody whined.

Never got busy in a bug, my brother totaled my mothers before I got a DL

My first car was a 66 Bonneville 421 3X2, It had a backseat made for partying. This is not it but it was same color, no power seats Mine was ridden hard, faded, mismatched paint dents, dings, and lots of Bondo on the right quarter panel. It did roll once it got going: it was 5 MPG fast Once you broke the tires loose it was impressive. Did you see the 3 2bbls and it had a 4 speed factory

Then I had a red 68 Dart GT 273 4bbl and later a 72 Demon 318 converted to 4bbl Citron yellow both cars were auto's, Demon had no stripes or markings both had black buckets. Bought them both used.

http://topclassiccarsforsale.com/upl...-421-3x2-4.jpg

http://topclassiccarsforsale.com/upl...-421-3x2-1.jpg

http://topclassiccarsforsale.com/upl...-421-3x2-8.jpg

cooper barrett 01-24-2018 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 13379232)
Eggs-Zacklty.. After 16 years it's a lot like a Ford (Fix Or Repair Daily), but more like every 8 months.

But the lights on the radio and parts of the dash have been out for two years... Not worth the trouble to fix..

My retired Chevy truck and my lab in the shadows.

Bought it used perfect cond. from a GM Retiree who couldn't drive anymore. He made me take him to lunch in it a few times.

https://s26.postimg.org/47xsp98u1/gz_2.jpg

GloryDayz 01-24-2018 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13379292)
My retired Chevy truck and my lab in the shadows.

Bought it used perfect cond. from a GM Retiree who couldn't drive anymore. He made me take him to lunch in it a few times.

https://s26.postimg.org/47xsp98u1/gz_2.jpg

I had an 86 Silverado, loved it..

SAUTO 01-24-2018 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 13379348)

ive got one stting in my driveway, short wide, big block.

cooper barrett 01-24-2018 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 13379348)

I bought it along with a house in Fort Osage from a GM retiree who really took care of it. It was 19 YO in the pic. I never upgraded it other than a big ass tranny cooler. It went 25 years with only maintenance, never broke once. I guess a alternator and a tailgate latch, but that's not much for repairs. I wasn't nice to it, hauling wood, building materials and hauling cars with it. Towards the end it needed A/C work but had never even been converted. The only ding on it was there by the LR wheel. It's silver paint sucked but it never
has any rust, never had body work.When sold it, 10 years after this pic, w/ 235K miles it was needing some engine seals replaced but never had a gasket (other than tranny and diff. service) replaced.

Notice the empty pond. I found a gravel over stone driveway going though the pasture to the barn to the right.

Here's the other side,
https://s26.postimg.org/yuhv9v7l5/chevypond.jpg .

Pond with water.

https://s13.postimg.org/43kbmybyv/205_pond_storm.jpg

srvy 01-24-2018 01:23 PM

https://www.picclickimg.com/d/w1600/...rtina-Fiat.jpg

63 English Ford my dad bought one from a TWA pilot back in the 60s for my Mom to grocery get and to and from work. The pilot took a trip to Europe and rented one fell in love with it bought over there and had it shipped to US. I was like 7 or 8 but I remember Dad cussing that POS trying to work on it and find parts. Dad never talked or had the Pilot and his wife over for dinner ever again lol. Sold it less than a year later. It was the subject of good laughs for many years.

srvy 01-24-2018 01:25 PM

I might add Dad was a Ford man all his life but hated Fiat who made that under the Ford name.

cooper barrett 01-24-2018 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 13379871)
I might add Dad was a Ford man all his life but hated Fiat who made that under the Ford name.

Are you sure on that? I am not an expert but I don't think Ford and Fiat made nice together ever.

I can Google it ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

You know if it's a Fiat by the steering wheel being pointed out like a satellite dish.:D:D:D

Do you remember a place down on Swift called Fiats only??

http://t-car.eu/wp-content/uploads/2...-1400CC-12.jpg

SAUTO 01-24-2018 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 13379865)
https://www.picclickimg.com/d/w1600/...rtina-Fiat.jpg

63 English Ford my dad bought one from a TWA pilot back in the 60s for my Mom to grocery get and to and from work. The pilot took a trip to Europe and rented one fell in love with it bought over there and had it shipped to US. I was like 7 or 8 but I remember Dad cussing that POS trying to work on it and find parts. Dad never talked or had the Pilot and his wife over for dinner ever again lol. Sold it less than a year later. It was the subject of good laughs for many years.

I know a guy who has one of those in his basement. He also has a lotus 7 series one I think its what they call it.

SAUTO 01-24-2018 06:01 PM

Im also pretty sure he has the Ford model of the same car that was a concept car for the us market. It was in pieces.

Going off memory from over ten years ago, the cortina picture tripped the memory.

I work on his daily drivers so ill ask for sure next time I see him.

The lotus has a guy that does it out in Kansas I think. I dont want any part of that thing. I dont know that I could even drive it. I would definitely be taller than the windshield

srvy 01-24-2018 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13380230)
Are you sure on that? I am not an expert but I don't think Ford and Fiat made nice together ever.

I can Google it ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

You know if it's a Fiat by the steering wheel being pointed out like a satellite dish.:D:D:D

Do you remember a place down on Swift called Fiats only??

http://t-car.eu/wp-content/uploads/2...-1400CC-12.jpg

Vaguely was that on corner of Armour and swift in the old Allen Chevrolet dealership?

srvy 01-24-2018 07:47 PM

Cooper look at some 58-63 Fiat 1100d sedans and English Fords of the same vintage. I was 7 or 8 when Dad had this car I remember something about Fiat. Could be they were sold or imported in Europe thru Fiat I dunno what the connection was.

hometeam 01-24-2018 08:03 PM

sneak peek..

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...7c&oe=5A6B620E

Perineum Ripper 01-24-2018 08:32 PM

Sergio looks shady

https://i.imgur.com/tWvj1cY.jpg

SAUTO 01-24-2018 08:41 PM

He cropped the tear tattoos out of his pic

Marcellus 01-24-2018 09:29 PM

LMAO at the last 2 post.

hometeam 01-24-2018 09:45 PM

yea no idea who siergeo is. Gonna pick up the truck Saturday.

TrebMaxx 01-24-2018 10:45 PM

Not just Sergio but Sergio Nieto!

cooper barrett 01-24-2018 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 13380981)
yea no idea who siergeo is. Gonna pick up the truck Saturday.

Lift it up and look for yellow donor paint markings and wire ties LOL

cooper barrett 01-25-2018 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 13380716)
Cooper look at some 58-63 Fiat 1100d sedans and English Fords of the same vintage. I was 7 or 8 when Dad had this car I remember something about Fiat. Could be they were sold or imported in Europe thru Fiat I dunno what the connection was.

OK I knew this car existed, I knew it was at one time a big seller but knew nothing about the car. When you posted the 1963 Ad I get a little stoked about this Fiat I knew nothing about. I got carried away, a little.

Take a look, the rear windows through me a curve on both the Fiats and the Cortina. the Cortina 4 door has a roll down window that needs a filler glass to operate. That and the hood/ grill didn't fit the Fiat snub nose.

This is what I learned so far, I am going to be doing some homework as this car was special back in the day. Especially the Lotus Cortina. Yes I said Lotus. Inthe early 60's they built these.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...0860081%29.jpg
https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3742...a526ee88_b.jpg
http://www.britishv8.org/articles/Im...00Museum-N.jpg

OK I looked and I see Lotus as the only partner company with Ford on the Cordina. Ford built most of the car with German drivetrains or at least the GT and Super models. More later on that.

"Cortina, Developed by Lotus" later called the " Lotus Cortina" (2 door only) were built using only Ford's body shells and built by Lotus using non Ford parts. They also developed but did not build other cars such as the Corsair GT V-4 and the "Cortina GT" for Ford . The GT had a Ford driveline package of choice ( see below) , with Lotus's collaboration, on steering suspension, brakes, interior fitments etc. Like ordering an IROC handling package for an 80's Camaro with a V6 or V8 engine.... you got all the good stuff, (seats dut not dashes, no aluminum doors or the super good stuff of the flagship Lotus Cortina. You could get the drivetrain options from Ford's 3 choices. The Corsair GT 4V was a bigger car with a German made V-4 engine with the Lotus tuning package option. The Cortina and the Corsair may have been Fords first "Tuner" cars

Ford shells and Lotus guts. That's the "Lotus Cortina" which was first sold in Ford dealers and later by Lotus. They were custom painted shells fitted with Ford made aluminum doors, hood, and trunk lids. Everything else was engineered, sourced or built for the car
Lotus spec'ed close ratio tranny's with alloy housings, front disc brakes, handling packages and the Lotus 1.6 engine with twin cams alloy hemi heads, dual Weber carbs and Full flow exhaust systems with Lotus tuned headers. Instrument clusters, special seats and trim. I guess they were hot and that's an understatement as the awards list is impressive. I have not read up on the Corsair GT or the "Cortina GT models but it looks like they were Lotus engineered option packages with performance packages spec'ed by Lotus vs just having the car lowered as part of the an engine upgrade utilizing Ford's German "Kent" Engines. Like upgrading to a IROC but not getting what was literally a race car in an ugly shell. Lotus even made a run of 30 total race prepped cars at almost twice the price, they sold 51.

left Cortina GT, Center is the Corsair GT V-4 and right the Lotus Cortina.

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTE2MlgxN...YnIeM/$_57.JPG

Ford "Cortina" included the "Consul Cortina" named after the previous car, the "Consul Classic" this model quickly became just "Cortina" it was powered by a 1.0 and later a 1.2l engines, then a lowered, more powerful tuned 1200cc Cortina GT, not a Lotus tuner package, but lowering it helped the looks and handling for a budget hot rod. The Cortina Super 1500 1.5 was the same car as the GT but with a bigger engine. There were also weird trims that popped up for limited runs.
There were all kinds of variations as you could get a Lotus package on cars such as a 2 dr, 4 dr, or wagon or you could just get the lowered GT trim on the tuned 1200 or 1500 super engines in all three with or without the Lotus packages,
The 5 dr wagon could be had with not only a woody trim option but with a "Cortina Super 1500" engine and the Lotus package too. Marking it the first "Shooting brake. It must have been what every British June Cleaver was using for grocery getter. in the early 60's.:D:D:D

Srvy: If your Mom's car was a 4 door Ford it was a Cortina or a Cortina GT and defiantly NOT a Fiat.:D:D The true Lotus Cortina was a 2 door only even though some painted the green stripes on the GT and lowered models.
It could have had 3 engine options and 3 suspension options. If it had either the Ford lowering parts or Lotus packages on it, the reason you dad was bitching was because Lotus and Ford were changing specs and vendors every few weeks, or it seemed like it, so that may have been the issue...Needless to say if she had one of the 4 doors with the Lotus GT package it would be worth maybe $20-25K ($40-50 if it were the Lotus Cortina.)

I put a few labels on the pics, Enjoy.

63 Cortina 1500 Super 5 door Wagon with Woody option.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._ca_1500cc.JPG

63 Consul Cortina 4 door followed by the 2 door Voted car of the year 1963 notice the ride height.

https://flashbak.com/wp-content/uplo...9-1024x755.jpg

https://flashbak.com/wp-content/uplo...1-1024x654.jpg

To muddy the water a bit more, the 1st gen got a facelift:
This is the 4 door 1500 Super in the GT Lotus trim. Not a true Lotus car but has the stripe mentioned earlier.
http://www.classicwise.co.uk/wp-cont...5/IMG_0658.jpg
https://www.autoclassics.com/advert/31066

Ad for Lotus speed demon specs.0 - 100 MPH? 30 seconds? huh?

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/59/5a/b5/5...9e9ac9affb.jpg

Lotus Factory (All "Lotus Cortinas" were 2 door, white, with green stripes)
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f9/20...0c5d3b58d8.jpg

lots of links to follow.
http://www.lotuscortinainfo.com

Photo albums '64 4 dr Standard Cortina and '66 Cortrina GT 1500 Super w/ Lotus package

http://www.classicwise.co.uk/cars/19...ted-miles-new/

If you are still awake...

I think the History on this car, it's tuning history is interesting to say the least, Are there pictures of the car or did your Dad burn them?

Baby Lee 01-25-2018 10:57 AM

Did anyone else catch this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlRKSmHgzdE&t=783s

Blue veined throbber.

And [though it's far from the centerpiece] the Morgan is pretty close in pedigree to the Lotus 7 mentioned above. All we need now is some news on the Caterham.

http://car-from-uk.com/ebay/carphoto...ebay330961.jpg

https://www.autocar.co.uk/sites/auto...?itok=qNRRMoJv

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/wp-...8/seven003.jpg

cooper barrett 01-25-2018 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAUTO (Post 13380472)
I know a guy who has one of those in his basement. He also has a lotus 7 series one I think its what they call it.

I grew up as a kid going to parking lot races, mainly Bendix and King Radio, with a dentist who had one. (series 2 Super 7 1500CC as I recall.) It was a kit as shown below., Temperamental bitch she was but when hitting on all 4 she was a beautiful sight to see run. I remember he had teeth in the grill which was fitting.

There were a couple of variants of the "7" cars just within the series one cars and lots of changes both inside the series and as they evolved. It's hard to keep track of all of them. For example there were 3 steering linkages in the series 1 alone.

This is one of the last series one's made:
https://img.pistonheads.com/LargeSiz...S3250223-1.jpg
This is an early car:
http://www.innermobil.com/wp-content...Exterior-1.jpg

http://www.historiclotusregister.co....us7Kit-500.jpg

If your guy has a "real" series one it will be one of less than a hundred made each year. There were a few 1960's sold but only a handful as they were leftovers. Very rare cars with weird builds.

Do you know what the engine or code might be as they made 5 models over 3 years with a couple of special builds such as the BMC-A's (2)one for Brittan and an America, a dual carb model from a Sprite. The Climax Super Seven or later the "C". had hight output "Climax" engines. Ford engines were "F's" as were the majority sold. The Ford was a Side Valve in the Series 1.
I know of of a person/ company who would possibly have something like this stashed in a collection but I wouldn't call where he keeps his cars a basement. I tried buying a TR6 off him in the early 2000's and lets just say he gave me the Hometown" treatment. As I recall he was an airplane buff too.

About this Cortina is it a white 2 door car with a green stripe down the side?

if not is there anything you remember about it like the engine?

cooper barrett 01-25-2018 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 13380705)
Vaguely was that on corner of Armour and swift in the old Allen Chevrolet dealership?

No that was where I used to get foreign car stuff but mostly British IIRC

I do recall getting a module , pick up, and coil setup there as MG's was shit. Like GM's and Ford's first electronic ignitions, not start sometimes or just die driving down the road and not restart. GF was not a happy girl, and she was worth the $400 to keep happy.

The place I am talking about is south of KC (black cat) Brakes and close to NKC Auto Trim. They would not even look at anything but a Fiat.

cooper barrett 01-25-2018 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 13381433)
Did anyone else catch this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlRKSmHgzdE&t=783s

Blue veined throbber.

And [though it's far from the centerpiece] the Morgan is pretty close in pedigree to the Lotus 7 mentioned above. All we need now is some news on the Caterham.

A Morgan is a gentleman's car, all refined and shit, the Seven is a roudy redheaded stepchild with no undergarments in comparison. ROFLROFLROFL

Have you ever seen a list of knock off kit and garage builder cars bases on the Lotus 7? There must be hundreds. I was Glad to see Caterham pick up the 7 license rights and think it will make a great electric car ROFLROFLROFLROFL Just kidding they are great cars but what Aieil makes is better.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/sites/auto...atom-front.jpg

http://karage.tv/en/wp-content/uploa...m-Top-Gear.jpg

Marcellus 01-25-2018 03:06 PM

Time to inject some manliness back into this thread -

Just ordered a new Wilwood 4 piston rear disc caliper set up for my car. It currently has the old GM Metric Caddy caliper set up and its just kind of crappy and its too tall and bulky for the clearance I need to drop my car another 1" or so in the back.

This is a pretty genius set up with the parking brake being in a hub in the middle of the rotor.

With the new wheels I plan to get soon the rotor and caliper will be pretty exposed so they needed upgraded anyway.

http://www.wilwood.com/Images/BrakeK...-7142-D-lg.jpg

http://www.wilwood.com/Images/BrakeK...2-D_kit-lg.jpg

SAUTO 01-25-2018 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13381593)
I grew up as a kid going to parking lot races, mainly Bendix and King Radio, with a dentist who had one. (series 2 Super 7 1500CC as I recall.) It was a kit as shown below., Temperamental bitch she was but when hitting on all 4 she was a beautiful sight to see run. I remember he had teeth in the grill which was fitting.

There were a couple of variants of the "7" cars just within the series one cars and lots of changes both inside the series and as they evolved. It's hard to keep track of all of them. For example there were 3 steering linkages in the series 1 alone.

This is one of the last series one's made:
https://img.pistonheads.com/LargeSiz...S3250223-1.jpg
This is an early car:
http://www.innermobil.com/wp-content...Exterior-1.jpg

http://www.historiclotusregister.co....us7Kit-500.jpg

If your guy has a "real" series one it will be one of less than a hundred made each year. There were a few 1960's sold but only a handful as they were leftovers. Very rare cars with weird builds.

Do you know what the engine or code might be as they made 5 models over 3 years with a couple of special builds such as the BMC-A's (2)one for Brittan and an America, a dual carb model from a Sprite. The Climax Super Seven or later the "C". had hight output "Climax" engines. Ford engines were "F's" as were the majority sold. The Ford was a Side Valve in the Series 1.
I know of of a person/ company who would possibly have something like this stashed in a collection but I wouldn't call where he keeps his cars a basement. I tried buying a TR6 off him in the early 2000's and lets just say he gave me the Hometown" treatment. As I recall he was an airplane buff too.

About this Cortina is it a white 2 door car with a green stripe down the side?

if not is there anything you remember about it like the engine?

yeah its real... it goes all over the country to invitation only shows...:rolleyes:

the cortina is red.

and its in the ****ing basement of his house, i know what a basement is...it's got a sliding glass door that he took out to put the cars in.

SAUTO 01-25-2018 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 13381760)
Time to inject some manliness back into this thread -

Just ordered a new Wilwood 4 piston rear disc caliper set up for my car. It currently has the old GM Metric Caddy caliper set up and its just kind of crappy and its too tall and bulky for the clearance I need to drop my car another 1" or so in the back.

This is a pretty genius set up with the parking brake being in a hub in the middle of the rotor.

With the new wheels I plan to get soon the rotor and caliper will be pretty exposed so they needed upgraded anyway.

http://www.wilwood.com/Images/BrakeK...-7142-D-lg.jpg

http://www.wilwood.com/Images/BrakeK...2-D_kit-lg.jpg

thats a nice set up.

hometeam 01-25-2018 06:24 PM

just slapped some hoosier dr2s on the TA today since it was nice...

https://www.tirerack.com/images/tire...r2_pdpcrop.jpg

went from a 275/60 in my old MT ET streets to a 275/50.. holy shit i never saw so much wheel gap over a 10% aspect ratio change.

cooper barrett 01-26-2018 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 13382037)
just slapped some hoosier dr2s on the TA today since it was nice...

https://www.tirerack.com/images/tire...r2_pdpcrop.jpg

How long will those last?ROFLROFLROFLROFL

went from a 275/60 in my old MT ET streets to a 275/50.. holy shit i never saw so much wheel gap over a 10% aspect ratio change.

1.8 "

Handy when too lazy to do the math https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc...0r15-275-50r15

It should have been a 325/50.... but rims are a consideration must be 9"-11" rims and sidewall clearance may be an issue

Hoosier DOT Drag Radial Tires 17318DR2 325/50R15

........................................old 275/60 new 325/50 9"-11"
Diameter inches(mm)......... 27.99 (711)......27.8 (706) -0.2 (-5) -0.7%
Width inches (mm)...............10.83 (275).....12.8-13.25 (325).............1.97 (50) 18.2%
Circum. inches (mm).........87.94 (2233.67)......87.32 (2217.96) -0.62 (-15.71) -0.7%
Sidewall Height inches (mm).....6.5 (165)........6.4 (162.5) -0.1 (-2.5) -1.5%
Revolutions per mile (km).......720.49 (447.69)....725.6 (450.86) 5.1 (3.17) 0.7%

I used to use the Miata calculator but it sucks now.