ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Cardinals 2018 STL Cardinals Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=312812)

O.city 08-23-2018 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pest (Post 13687833)
Do you offer sedation? I've yet to try it but my niece gets it all the time for that very reason.

I'll give you some sedative, but honestly, unless it's legit conscious sedation, it makes it worse. I don't wanna deal with giving you some valium and you having to feel your way down the ****ing hallway to the operatory.

And I don't do conscious sedation because I'm not dealing with all that headache.

The Franchise 08-23-2018 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13687838)
I'll give you some sedative, but honestly, unless it's legit conscious sedation, it makes it worse. I don't wanna deal with giving you some valium and you having to feel your way down the ****ing hallway to the operatory.

And I don't do conscious sedation because I'm not dealing with all that headache.

What's the headache with it? Is it the fact that now that person needs someone to take them home? Plus the time necessary to deal with them coming out of it? Or are we talking insurance headaches?

O.city 08-23-2018 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pest (Post 13687839)
What's the headache with it? Is it the fact that now that person needs someone to take them home? Plus the time necessary to deal with them coming out of it? Or are we talking insurance headaches?

The extra couple hundred thousand in malpractice, the extra 50k in equipment, the actual sedative that I have to keep under lock and key, and the myriad of other shit.

It's nice if you can do it. It's a pain, but it's a great service for the Pt. But I'm not doing sedation to do a filling. Full mouth rehab or something surgical, fine.

But as the dentist if I do sedation, I have to monitor pts vitals and do the dentistry. If the pt is young and healthy it's not an issue, but most people that want that service aren't the most healthy.

Marco Polo 08-23-2018 10:24 AM

Okay guys, you are losing me. Back to baseball.

BigRedChief 08-23-2018 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 13687673)
For some guys, sure.

For marketable personalities? I'm not so certain of that.

Look at it this way - Mike Trout would dwarf Derek Jeter had he come up as a Yankee. There'd be no way of escaping him. He'd be on every commercial during every sporting event you'd ever see.

Instead he's doing ensemble spots for Subway because he's on the west coast and nobody ever sees him.

If you're Bryce Harper and the Cardinals offer you 10/$350 while the Yankees offer you 10/$275 - I honestly think you take the Yankees offer because you'll make that money and then some through mere exposure. It won't end when you retire either - it'll just keep rolling in as you become a Yankee 'ambassador'. There's a significant financial HoF bump as well (can't remember the figures, but they ain't small) and Harper would get a nice little Yankee Kicker from the sportswriters there. I think if NYY gets anywhere in the ballpark, Harper'd be nuts not to take it.

As for Machado - I think he's perhaps not as outgoing as Harper and may just want to get his money on the field. Well the Phillies will oblige him. Besides - y'all just saw the same series I did; you still excited about him? In the middle of a must-win series he was taking plays off out there. And while I won't accuse him of being largely apathetic, I'd say 'flat affect' accurately describes his countenance in that series.

I'd say eliminating Shildt made a difference and a huge one at that, but only because it took our chances of getting one of those guys from 0% to 1%. I mean from a percentage standpoint that's like, infinity times more likely.

It's like playing powerball - the only ticket that appreciably changes your odds is the first one. From that point forward you could by 100 of the damn things and your odds are still so infinitesimally small that it mathematically you haven't made a dent. That's what we're looking at here.

The only realistic chance they had at a big-ticket guy like that was to trade for him, sell him on the experience and maybe they win in FA. You can't get big money vets to do the trade/sign model anymore (Rolen/Edmonds approach) but you can at least take the Holliday model, give them a chance to appreciate the organization from the inside and then effectively offer to match any bidders.

I agree, there is not a chance in hell of us winning against the Yankees in a FA pursuit. That said.........
We are not the Angels level of TV desert. We are on national TV the maximum allowed times every year because we get better ratings than other teams. Even when we sucked bad, they still put us on TV.

I think Harper can still get his national commercials playing for us. Obviously, not like NY, but still get his share of them.

Harper seems to me that he wants to win. Plays hard. Now, he would fit right in here with our past and finally current culture. He thinks Washington fans are great? He was here recently when a new guy in the OF got a standing ovation for a catch in the OF. He saw the fans into the game. Maybe..just maybe... a fan can hope....:rolleyes:

I'm scared off of Manny now. He plays 3B he is a big time difference maker. SS he is okay. He is going to insist being the SS. He is extremely talented but he does take plays off. That fire isn't the same as Harper. I'm afraid that a 10 contract will hamstring us in 5 years. At least with Harper we can get 7 years out of him before the decline.

DJ's left nut 08-23-2018 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13687832)
Also, off subject, but i'm gonna vent a little.

Why is it so god damn hard to go to the dentist, open your mouth and be still? Don't try to lick the drill, that's not gonna turn out well, ask me how I know.

Like holy shit it's a ****ing nightmare. Sit there, hold your tongue still and just be calm. Everyone is a ****ing dental phobic because you had a bad experience when you were 12. Ok, that sucks, but you're 45 now and you have an abscessed tooth that's blown up because you wouldn't go to the dentist and I have to fix it. It's time to grow up.

You use that little sonic water pick scraper thing instead of the metal torture instruments and I'm much more affable.

But **** me, when the hygienist gets her mini pick-ax out, I can't get out of there without a migraine. People aren't dental-phobic because of when they were 12 (I had no problems with dentists at all as a kid), they have them because in their 30s they walk out of there with a headache, sore gums and a metallic taste in their mouth.

"Well if you'd just floss...." Oh **** off, ain't nobody got time for that. I have a soniccare and brush twice a day - use a tool that hasn't been around since it was used to disembowel uppity serfs during the time of the bubonic plague and we'll call it a draw.

DJ's left nut 08-23-2018 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13687877)
I'm scared off of Manny now. He plays 3B he is a big time difference maker. SS he is okay. He is going to insist being the SS. He is extremely talented but he does take plays off. That fire isn't the same as Harper. I'm afraid that a 10 contract will hamstring us in 5 years. At least with Harper we can get 7 years out of him before the decline.

Which was my main point when we had the Manny v. Harper discussion a month ago. That and the LH bat.

To me it's not even a close question. I'd take Harper in a landslide over Machado and I like Machado. I put him on my list of a dozen or so guys that I'd pay to watch play back when he was a 3b. He's a genuinely exciting young talent...when he wants to be.

I love watching him play for other teams because when he jakes a play, that's not a scoreboard I particularly care about. But on the team I root for it's just a night and day difference between him and Harper.

But hey - if people want to keep running the 'clown question, bro' clip from when he was a teenager over a half a decade ago, I guess that's their prerogative. But they're missing a damn fun player.

O.city 08-23-2018 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 13687884)
You use that little sonic water pick scraper thing instead of the metal torture instruments and I'm much more affable.

But **** me, when the hygienist gets her mini pick-ax out, I can't get out of there without a migraine. People aren't dental-phobic because of when they were 12 (I had no problems with dentists at all as a kid), they have them because in their 30s they walk out of there with a headache, sore gums and a metallic taste in their mouth.

"Well if you'd just floss...." Oh **** off, ain't nobody got time for that. I have a soniccare and brush twice a day - use a tool that hasn't been around since it was used to disembowel uppity serfs during the time of the bubonic plague and we'll call it a draw.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh1NlpWl...=1pezak40akpbd

You try getting this shit off with something soft it’s gonna be a long day

Sounds like a rough hygienist tho

Frazod 08-23-2018 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 13687884)

https://i.gifer.com/NDvd.gif

Frazod 08-23-2018 11:25 AM

The Rockies called up Matt Holliday - he'll be on the roster tonight.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/m...t-in-triple-a/

Marco Polo 08-23-2018 03:52 PM

The surging Cardinals are a legitimate playoff threat in a wide-open National League

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/t...tional-league/

DJ's left nut 08-23-2018 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco Polo (Post 13688495)
The surging Cardinals are a legitimate playoff threat in a wide-open National League

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/t...tional-league/

{reads headline}

{does basic math}

Uh...no shit.

ChiefsCountry 08-23-2018 05:18 PM

Cardinals are smoking hot but are they doing it too soon. Baseball has a funny way of things evening out.

'Hamas' Jenkins 08-23-2018 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 13688633)
Cardinals are smoking hot but are they doing it too soon. Baseball has a funny way of things evening out.

It doesn't matter if they do it six weeks later. Teams don't really carry hot streaks over to short playoff series.

BigRedChief 08-23-2018 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 13688516)
{reads headline}

{does basic math}

Uh...no shit.

19-16 the rest of the way gets us 90 wins. Last year 87 wins got you a WC.

CBS........ Math bro

BigRedChief 08-23-2018 07:51 PM

Quote:

we limped into the 2006/2011 playoffs and won it all. We had the best team in baseball in 2004/2005 and didn’t win. The playoffs are always a crapshoot even if you make it to the tournament.

VAChief 08-23-2018 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13688910)
we limped into the 2006/2011 playoffs and won it all. We had the best team in baseball in 2004/2005 and didn’t win. The playoffs are always a crapshoot even if you make it to the tournament.

2006 yes, 2011 they were 18-7 in September. They won 4 of their last 5 too.

BigRedChief 08-23-2018 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VAChief (Post 13688946)

go look at the 2011 thread. No one posting in there thought we would do shit in the playoffs.

BigRedChief 08-23-2018 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VAChief (Post 13688946)

Except DJ who called a WS winner in 2006.

VAChief 08-24-2018 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13689018)
go look at the 2011 thread. No one posting in there thought we would do shit in the playoffs.

Sure, but that is different than limping in. From mid August they started winning serried and closed a 10 game gap. They didn’t back in was my point. 2006 they hung on by a thread in an extremely weak division.

Chief Roundup 08-24-2018 06:54 AM

Why have the Cubs played 3 less games?

Sent from my SM-S906L using Tapatalk

DJ's left nut 08-24-2018 06:59 AM

Quote:

Maybe, but at the same time - they fell too far to spin their wheels for even another week.

You'd like to see them surge through the tape, sure. Not as a predictor of playoff performance but because they'll be able to hold off a deep NL playoff field that way. But if they didn't start that surge soon, all they were gonna be doing was chasing 84 wins and racing the Pirates for 3rd in the NL Central. They were out of time.

BigRedChief 08-24-2018 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 13689228)
Maybe, but at the same time - they fell too far to spin their wheels for even another week.

You'd like to see them surge through the tape, sure. Not as a predictor of playoff performance but because they'll be able to hold off a deep NL playoff field that way. But if they didn't start that surge soon, all they were gonna be doing was chasing 84 wins and racing the Pirates for 3rd in the NL Central. They were out of time.

When this turn around started we were just happy to have seen Matheny fired. Not forced to watch that turd mismanage games, watch his "meh" brand of baseball.

We had fallen so far away from what Cardinals baseball that the majority of fans couldn't believe the state of Cardinals baseball.

I don't think many thought we'd make the playoffs. Way too big of hole. Thanks to this streak, we can play almost .500 baseball the rest of the way and make a WC.

Doesn't matter if we hit a wall and come back to earth. It's already salvaged the season for me. The free fall has stopped, I now have hope we can win again.

VAChief 08-24-2018 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13689243)
When this turn around started we were just happy to have seen Matheny fired. Not forced to watch that turd mismanage games, watch his "meh" brand of baseball.

We had fallen so far away from what Cardinals baseball that the majority of fans couldn't believe the state of Cardinals baseball.

I don't think many thought we'd make the playoffs. Way too big of hole. Thanks to this streak, we can play almost .500 baseball the rest of the way and make a WC.

Doesn't matter if we hit a wall and come back to earth. It's already salvaged the season for me. The free fall has stopped, I now have hope we can win again.

I'm greedy and always want to get in and take our chances, but it was looking pretty bleak at the midpoint.

The bloodletting has let us get some good looks at our pipeline and for the most part they have stepped up. They won't all stick, but there is cause for optimism for sure.

It would take some fortunate turns to make a deep run if they get in, but they still have considerable work to even get there.

Marcellus 08-24-2018 08:28 AM

So whats everyone's thoughts on Mozeliak now?

DJ's left nut 08-24-2018 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 13689358)

He's still risk averse and needs to do something to bundle B+ assets into a true difference maker.

This team still has a ceiling on it and Matt Carpenter's expiration date is still approaching. A white-hot month may spackle over the cracks in the foundation but they're still there.

The team needs to add a piece that immediately supplements Carpenter in this lineup and can be in line to replace him long-term as a potential MVP caliber stick.

He's still a man that wasn't smart enough to fire Mike Matheny 2 years ago after he was de-pantsed in the playoffs a 3rd straight time. He's still a man who's set more than $100 million on fire for washed up veterans because he was too chickenshit to pursue actual risk/reward acquisitions.

He's the same mediocre evaluater and executive he's always been.

VAChief 08-24-2018 08:50 AM

Quote:

He seems willing to walk away from his own mess. That is about as positive as I can give him right now.

BigRedChief 08-24-2018 09:02 AM

Quote:

He whiffed big time on Fowler, Cecil, Gregerson, Leon etc. I give him a mulligan on Holland. He was good last year and it was a 1 year right before the season deal. Matheny made it more damaging because he kept running him out there when he clearly had lost it.

He holds on to talent way too long.

He has in the win column, Mikolas and Norris. Getting Ross, Adams and Shereve for nothing.

Firing Matheny. Better late than never. I think it was Dewitt that kept pushing back the inevitable decision to rid us of that mistake.

Putting his own found and developed Manager in place thats so far succeeding.
Totally revamped the bullpen from a dumpster fire to from top to bottom, one of the best pens in baseball, so far.

Trades:
Piscotty: trade had to be done. Looks like we got some talent back.
Ozuna: nothing showing up yet that we will totally regret giving away. He could be a force in 2019 if they get his shoulder right.
Pham: He was inconsistent and we needed to clear that CF spot to give Bader and O'Neill a chance. We got some good prospects in return
Grichuck: Won that trade already.

Drafting and Player Development:
No way this resurgence is Ludlow. This is Mo's. We are drafting at the bottom of the rounds every year. He's getting it done.

Bottom line: he needs to outsource FA decisions. Stick to player development and trades. This manager and young talent has got me off the fire Mo bandwagon. We could do a lot worse.

DJ's left nut 08-24-2018 09:41 AM

You give him a mulligan on Holland?!?!

FFS, why? That's the dumbest, most inexplicable move of the bunch. Anyone who actually thought that guy wasn't going to suck was just being an idiot. And the fact that they gave him $14 million is just laughably inept.

That was an aaaaaaaaawful deal from the second it was signed. Just awful.

I'm also not sure how you bang him for Leone. Grichuk was gone; absolutely done here. We moved him for a reliever that looked good then got hurt. We still have said reliever for 2 more years. I think the Leone deal is a hell of a trade and it can still work out very nicely.

****ing Holland....lord that's awful.

And his recent trade record isn't bad, I'll grant you. But he pays retail and doesn't take risks. There was no real risk in the Grichuk deal and he'd have never made the Piscotty deal but/for the family thing. Pham was found money who wasn't producing and Ozuna cost us precisely dick.

He'll operate in the margins and trade organizational depth pieces away, but he won't take a risk that may hurt the squad. The last time he did it was Heyward and he's just gunshy now, IMO. I think he needs to look for a similar deal and target an upgrade at 3b or SS.

For instance - the Reds have NO pitching. None. And their best prospect is Nick Senzel who is one of the best pure hitters in the minors and a natural 3b by trade. Now, you're not getting Senzel from them, but you MIGHT be able to get Eugenio Suarez.

Now they signed him to a big extension (for way below market) so he'd cost you a small fortune, but maybe you need to make that move anyway for a young All-Star 3b with a ton of team control. Weaver and Wacha gets you in the door but doesn't get it done. I wouldn't part with Flaherty in that deal and they don't need OFers. Barnhart's only a couple years older than Kelly, signed long-term and probably represents Kelly's upside anyway.

You willing to give up Reyes+ for him? You might have to be; we've done alright without him. Hudson, Weaver and Wacha? Might hurt pretty badly but it might be the best way to utilize these resources.

Now I'm not hemmed in on Suarez here, but that's the kind of guy we need to look for and risky trade we need to be willing to make to get over the hump, IMO.

I don't think Moe is willing to pull that trigger.

Pasta Little Brioni 08-24-2018 09:45 AM

Quote:

Fire his pathetic ass.

BigRedChief 08-24-2018 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 13689427)
You give him a mulligan on Holland?!?!

FFS, why? That's the dumbest, most inexplicable move of the bunch. Anyone who actually thought that guy wasn't going to suck was just being an idiot. And the fact that they gave him $14 million is just laughably inept.

That was an aaaaaaaaawful deal from the second it was signed. Just awful.

We had no proven reliever. Most people in baseball thought it was a good deal at the time because it was a one year deal. Low risk. Who cares about losing $15 million total? How does that effect us long term? I'm also going off the articles and podcasts saying it was Matheny wanting Holland. Supposedly, Matheny went to Dewitt and asked for Holland.
Quote:

He'll operate in the margins and trade organizational depth pieces away, but he won't take a risk that may hurt the squad. The last time he did it was Heyward and he's just gunshy now, IMO. I think he needs to look for a similar deal and target an upgrade at 3b or SS.

I agree totally with this.
Quote:

For instance - the Reds have NO pitching. None. And their best prospect is Nick Senzel who is one of the best pure hitters in the minors and a natural 3b by trade. Now, you're not getting Senzel from them, but you MIGHT be able to get Eugenio Suarez.

Now they signed him to a big extension (for way below market) so he'd cost you a small fortune, but maybe you need to make that move anyway for a young All-Star 3b with a ton of team control. Weaver and Wacha gets you in the door but doesn't get it done. I wouldn't part with Flaherty in that deal and they don't need OFers. Barnhart's only a couple years older than Kelly, signed long-term and probably represents Kelly's upside anyway.

You willing to give up Reyes+ for him? You might have to be; we've done alright without him. Hudson, Weaver and Wacha? Might hurt pretty badly but it might be the best way to utilize these resources.

I don't think Moe is willing to pull that trigger.

Hoping FA but I know thats a real long longshot. No way we are getting a MOTOB without giving up Reyes or Flaherty as just one piece. Then your talking at least 3 more project-able MLB players. Give something to get something. Total risky move which I agree is not Mo's style.

But, it has to be done. We need a legitimate #3 hitter.

DJ's left nut 08-24-2018 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13689525)
We had no proven reliever. Most people in baseball thought it was a good deal at the time because it was a one year deal. Low risk. Who cares about losing $15 million total? How does that effect us long term? I'm also going off the articles and podcasts saying it was Matheny wanting Holland. Supposedly, Matheny went to Dewitt and asked for Holland.

"Most people in baseball" are the same idiots who mostly still refuse to acknowledge how god-awful Mike Matheny was.

And those are the same people who want to argue that a win share is worth $8 million.

We'll discuss it in terms that make the most sense in relation to Greg Holland - obesity. The national average for men is just a tick under 200 lbs and our national height is just a tick under 5'10''. So if a 5'10'' dude weighs 200 lbs he can say "hey, that's average".

Fantastic, it's average, but it ain't healthy because the average includes Omar the Tentmaker who needs a crane to get out of his bathtub and a whole slew of other exceptionally unhealthy people lugging around 100 lbs more than they need to be. 'Average' ain't the mark here, lads. Healthy is.

That's the context in which you need to consider the $8 million WAR. You pay $14 million for a 2 win reliever (which is about what even the optimistic idiot talking heads thought he'd be) and you can claim you beat the average by $2 million. But average sucks when it includes the Albert Pujols and Eric Hosmer's of the world.

'Healthy' is $4-5 million/win. There was no chance in the world that the Cardinals were getting 3 wins out of Greg Holland. I said at the time that I'd be shocked if they got 1. There was never any way to make that anything less than a LESS terrible deal. But it was a terrible deal in either event and the fact that Mike Matheny needed him as a wubby should have made it all the more apparent that he needed a new manager and not an out of shape, declining reliever.

DJ's left nut 08-24-2018 12:57 PM

Oh, and we gave up a 2nd round pick and roughly $1.1 million in pool money for the privilege of signing the chode as well (as I watched the draft, my choice there was Siani, Isbel or Eierman; that pick hurt all the more as the draft unfolded because there was a ton of talent sitting there at the time).

And FINALLY they had to give up $500K in international bonus money as well, which doesn't seem like anything until you realize that international bonus money is getting pretty nice returns of late; that's how we got the Yankees to include Gallegos in the Voit/Shreve deal. We also got Lane Thomas who's moved into the top 20 or so of our prospects of late.

So we gave up not just the money but at LEAST two solid prospects so we could sign a guy who was decaying before our eyes last season.

No, there was never a way for that deal to be a good one. And 'most people in baseball' who thought it was simply had their heads too far up their own asses to realize any better.

George Liquor 08-24-2018 01:04 PM

Quote:

I'll give him 1 more offseason, but if he brings in scrubs the like of Fowler, Cecil and Leake this winter as big name acquisitions, he can go too.

dls6501 08-24-2018 01:31 PM

It is nice to see a fresh bullpen now due to our change in managers. Mattheny had no idea how to manage a bullpen and all of our guys were spent with him at the helm.

BigRedChief 08-24-2018 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDj23 (Post 13689760)
I'll give him 1 more offseason, but if he brings in scrubs the like of Fowler, Cecil and Leake this winter as big name acquisitions, he can go too.

Yeah, I jumped off the fire Mo bandwagon, but I'm ready to get back on with a bad off season. He comes back with another incremental off season, I'm hoping back on.

'Hamas' Jenkins 08-24-2018 02:44 PM

DJ is illustrating an issue. Mo needs to trade our quarters for dollars. It opens you up to significant risk with a single injury or downturn, but it must be done to raise the ceiling.

DJ's left nut 08-24-2018 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 13689885)
DJ is illustrating an issue. Mo needs to trade our quarters for dollars. It opens you up to significant risk with a single injury or downturn, but it must be done to raise the ceiling.

A guy on my Cardinals board is banging the drum for Trae Turner. I can't say that I agree with him there as I believe Turner is a bit overrated due to his power explosion after his callup. I also don't think he uses his speed as well as he could on defense and his arm isn't exactly elite over there.

But I echo the sentiment, obviously, that we need to consolidate talent somehow.

Ideally you find a team that needs a pitcher, OFer and C and see what the best piece you can get in return for some of our depth might be.

Weirdly, Colorado would be a pretty great fit. Their OF has been abysmal despite what they viewed as a surplus there. Their catching situation is equally awful both now and going forward. Additionally, arms just get torched out there; apart from ineffectiveness guys just overthrow and get hurt so they always need arms. They have some very high end young prospects (and obviously Arenado, who you can't pry out of there but would sure be nice).

Baltimore lined up perfectly for a deal for Machado but once the season started without one getting done, that ship sailed. Texas and Toronto look like good fits but like Colorado, Toronto thinks they have an OF surplus, those guys have just kinda sucked. San Diego needs help just about everywhere, especially if they decide to give up on Austin Hedges (who just cannot hit).

Texas, Colorado and Cincy look like ideal trade partners from a 'their needs' perspective but I'm not sure I see a lot of guys I'd want back from them in one of those big deals. We ain't getting Bichette from Toronto or Tatis JR from SD.

But man, with Story coming on and Hampson looking like an exciting piece for them after LaMeheiu....it sure would be nice to find a way to pry Brendan Rogers out of there. O'Neill, Hudson and Kelly get that done? He's closer to Paul DeJong than he is Andrelton Simmons with the leather so you may be better served to just offer that kind of package for an upgrade at 3b (Suarez is where I keep coming back to), but Rodgers is blocked as all hell if they get Arenado extended.

BigRedChief 08-24-2018 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 13689885)

I agree on the analogy. But, in baseball 4 quarters are not equal to a $. We will need to pay more than a $ if we are paying with quarters, correct?

I dont like Arenado in a one year deal. We would have to give up something like Reyes/Weaver/Kellly/another A/AA type prospect for just one year and then he’s gone.

Maybe get a bat that can hit #3 with 3 years of control until Gorman is ready. I know that may be the most valuable player in baseball. But, that’s what we need. Don’t know what that would cost us in trade but I’d do the above deal for something like that.

jd1020 08-24-2018 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13689945)
I dont like Arenado in a one year deal. We would have to give up something like Reyes/Weaver/Kellly/another A/AA type prospect for just one year and then he’s gone.

Why the hell would you not make that deal?

If you believe you can't sign a FA of his caliber then you need to trade for it and hope to sell him on the team while he's there.

The only thing you are giving up on is a guy who's next pitch might see his arm go with the ball.

BigRedChief 08-24-2018 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 13689951)
Why the hell would you not make that deal?

If you believe you can't sign a FA of his caliber then you need to trade for it and hope to sell him on the team while he's there.

The only thing you are giving up on is a guy who's next pitch might see his arm go with the ball.

Dont think he will sign here. Now, we have lost prospects and trade value.

We already went from a potential #3 hitter and a top starter to nothing in one year.
Taveras>Miller>Heyward all lost, then nothing.

jd1020 08-24-2018 03:44 PM

I'd take my chances on 1 year of Arenado with potential for more than Reyes ever managing to not blow out his arm.

George Liquor 08-24-2018 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13689956)
Dont think he will sign here. Now, we have lost prospects and trade value.

We already went from a potential #3 hitter and a top starter to nothing in one year.
Taveras>Miller>Heyward all lost, then nothing.

Didnt everyone say the same about Holliday?

BigRedChief 08-24-2018 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDj23 (Post 13690007)
Didnt everyone say the same about Holliday?

its a different era now. All teams have money. Not Yankee money but plenty to sign that one player. Also it’s about marketing for the top players. They make $20$-$30 million but they make more with commercials. Shoe contracts, Gatorade etc. you play in a big market those companies like you better.

Look at Trout. Best player in the game. No one gets to watch him play and no big commercials. Harper and Manny want those big contracts. That’s what has changed since Holliday. It’s not enough to win and play in front of great crowds.

Jewish Rabbi 08-24-2018 07:15 PM

Miles with another jack

George Liquor 08-24-2018 07:16 PM

This team...

Marcellus 08-24-2018 08:19 PM

I had written off this season and hated watching this team.

**** you Mike Matheny!

Don't have super high expectations as to how this season will end but Goddamn baseball is fun again!

:clap:

'Hamas' Jenkins 08-24-2018 08:43 PM

Just a catastrophically managed inning by Schildt. God, I hate managers' obsession with getting a SP a win.

George Liquor 08-24-2018 08:59 PM

I still love you Matt.

Marcellus 08-24-2018 09:02 PM

Goddamn I hate baseball in Colorado.

George Liquor 08-24-2018 09:08 PM

Sit down bitch

BigRedChief 08-24-2018 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 13690478)
Just a catastrophically managed inning by Schildt. God, I hate managers' obsession with getting a SP a win.

just let them score more runs just to get your pitcher a win. WTF? They already hit two homers this inning and hit the ball hard several times.

We had a 7 run lead on a team that wants our playoff spot. Just give that away for an individual record? A worthless stat.

It’s not a Shildt thing. It’s a baseball manager thing. Supporting your pitcher doesn’t mean ****ing over the other 23 players.

'Hamas' Jenkins 08-24-2018 09:45 PM

I feel like Hicks is a keg of dynamite, just waiting to blow.

BigRedChief 08-24-2018 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 13690589)
I feel like Hicks is a keg of dynamite, just waiting to blow.

we had this game won. It shouldn’t even be close. Schildt has pulled guys early before. I’d like to know why he stayed with Mikolas tonight instead of pulling his pitcher when he looked lost, just like the other times he pulled his pitcher.

Jewish Rabbi 08-24-2018 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13690609)
we had this game won. It shouldn’t even be close. Schildt has pulled guys early before. I’d like to know why he stayed with Mikolas tonight instead of pulling his pitcher when he looked lost, just like the other times he pulled his pitcher.

I know we had the off day yesterday, but he’s gotta get innings somewhere. I’m still not convinced the kids don’t run out of gas before it’s over with.

BigRedChief 08-24-2018 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi (Post 13690618)
I know we had the off day yesterday, but he’s gotta get innings somewhere. I’m still not convinced the kids don’t run out of gas before it’s over with.

I get that. No way this team or the young pitching can keep this up. They will get burned. Hit a wall. But, it was obvious to anyone watching that Milo had hit the wall right now. He couldn’t make a pitch to get out of the inning.

'Hamas' Jenkins 08-24-2018 10:14 PM

Why in the God **** would you go to second there? Stupid as ****, Gyorko. Got lucky.

Marcellus 08-24-2018 10:18 PM

Pulled it off.

BigRedChief 08-24-2018 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 13690640)
Pulled it off.

4-0 road trip so far that most fans were hoping for a 3-3 road trip. :clap:

Marcellus 08-24-2018 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13690643)
4-0 road trip so far that most fans were hoping for a 3-3 road trip. :clap:

9-0 on their last 9 games on the road.

Like I said baseball is fun again.

BigRedChief 08-24-2018 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 13690646)

making Matheny look like a fool.

Don’t feel sorry in the slightest. He earned the scorn.

Frazod 08-24-2018 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 13690646)

With the Cubs and the Brewers playing the Reds and Pirates, they need to keep it up.

Frazod 08-24-2018 11:51 PM

And after going ahead by two in the top of the 15th, the Buttpirates lose to Milwaukee, who plated three in the bottom of the 15th.

I don't really know much about Clay Holmes, but if tonight's outing was typical of his pitching prowess, he should be selling women's shoes. 4321

BigRedChief 08-25-2018 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13690679)
With the Cubs and the Brewers playing the Reds and Pirates, they need to keep it up.

They play like this, doesn't matter who we play, we will win. And in the current state of play, its a fun brand of baseball.

We have those last 3 games against the Cubs in our pocket. We get in front of Milwaukee. Win that first game and............the pressure is on them. Ya never know.

But, I'm also happy to be looking at the scores too. We are relevant again.PBJ

Frazod 08-25-2018 08:00 AM

The end of that Brewers game last night was just awful. Milwaukee's bench was so depleted at that point that they had to have a relief pitcher bat with two outs. All Holmes had to do was strike out a guy who never bats. And he walked him. :shake:

George Liquor 08-25-2018 06:00 PM

Lets do this!

George Liquor 08-25-2018 08:02 PM

God damn it.

Jewish Rabbi 08-25-2018 08:21 PM

God damn I love Bader.

George Liquor 08-25-2018 08:21 PM

You gilded mf'ers.

kcpasco 08-25-2018 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi (Post 13693134)
God damn I love Bader.

Yep, that run was all him.

kcpasco 08-25-2018 08:33 PM

Whelp, Hudson was due for a bad outing I guess.

Jewish Rabbi 08-25-2018 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcpasco (Post 13693148)
Whelp, Hudson was due for a bad outing I guess.

I figured we would lose when we didn’t get another run across.

George Liquor 08-25-2018 08:38 PM

I still hate Cecil

kcpasco 08-25-2018 08:40 PM

Yep Cecil still sucks.

Jewish Rabbi 08-25-2018 08:42 PM

At least Cecil reaffirmed he sucks in a game we had already lost.

kcpasco 08-25-2018 08:43 PM

Cecil faced 3 lefties so far. 2 hits and a double.

kcpasco 08-25-2018 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi (Post 13693160)
At least Cecil reaffirmed he sucks in a game we had already lost.

Off lefties. If he can’t get a lefty out why the hell is he on this team.

George Liquor 08-25-2018 08:45 PM

Muh lefty specialist

-0.4 war

7.625 mil a year

'Hamas' Jenkins 08-25-2018 08:50 PM

Schildt has made some really bad moves the last few days. Using Cecil in a place where his curve is going to be diminished will result in him getting hit harder than Bryce Harper's dad.

Still, the bullpen was due this kind of outing, because of the most part, they still ****ing suck. Hicks is constantly toying with disaster, Norris is a JAG masquerading as a closer, and guys like Mayers, Hudson don't have out pitches at this level.

kcpasco 08-25-2018 08:52 PM

And **** whoever approved baseball in Colorado.