ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Lamar Jackson wasn't, isn't, and never will be better than Patrick Mahomes (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=328152)

R8RFAN 09-11-2022 10:24 AM

Lamar Jackson declined Baltimore Ravens' $250M extension offer, wants deal fully guaranteed at signing, sources say
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...TYpSq6NDuaj8L0

What a fool

ThaVirus 09-26-2022 11:32 AM

He's gotta be the MVP frontrunner at the moment.

They've got the Bills next week, too. Should be a good game.

Buehler445 09-26-2022 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 16490597)
He's gotta be the MVP frontrunner at the moment.

They've got the Bills next week, too. Should be a good game.

He led that blown lead to Miami.

All he had to do was pick up a few firsts.

Frankly, I think the front runner is currently Trevor Lawrence. He won’t finish as the front runner IMO, but it’s got to be him. Obviously Indy’s defense isn’t absolutely horrible and he beat the doors off them. The Chargers defense is really ****ing good. And he beat the doors off them too. Washington game isn’t great but it’s probably better than the other guys’ bad games. I guess Allen still had 400 yards in his loss.

louie aguiar 09-26-2022 11:38 AM

I’ll give him credit. He’s playing better than I thought he was capable of. His price tag is going way up.

ThaVirus 09-26-2022 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 16490616)

Frankly, I think the front runner is currently Trevor Lawrence. He won’t finish as the front runner IMO, but it’s got to be him. Obviously Indy’s defense isn’t absolutely horrible and he beat the doors off them. The Chargers defense is really ****ing good. And he beat the doors off them too. Washington game isn’t great but it’s probably better than the other guys’ bad games. I guess Allen still had 400 yards in his loss.

Yeah, he had a fumble on the goal line and tried to throw a pick-6 that was dropped late in the 4th quarter. Still, overall he had a great game and lead his team to like 37 points or whatever. He shoulders some blame, as a QB will, but I'd put that loss on the defense.

Lamar's currently #1 in passing TDs, #1 in passer rating, and #4 in rushing yards LMAO

He'll likely get hurt or level off at some point, but damn. He's off to an impressive start.

I will give you props for the Trevor Lawrence pick, though. That is a juicy take! He's playing well but I wouldn't put him up there with Lamar Jackson, Jalen Hurts, etc.

BleedingRed 09-26-2022 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 16490616)

Wahhh Doug Peterson knows how to coach a ****ing football team, who would have thunk

DJ's left nut 09-26-2022 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8RFAN (Post 16453950)
Lamar Jackson declined Baltimore Ravens' $250M extension offer, wants deal fully guaranteed at signing, sources say
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...TYpSq6NDuaj8L0

What a fool

Why?

Dak Prescott's leg exploded and he still got paid. An injury to a QB just doesn't mean much these days - teams will still pay for what they MIGHT be when they're healthy again.

So what is Jackson's risk? As long as he's in Baltimore they'll continue tailoring offenses to fit his strengths and he'll continue to look like an MVP caliber player. And with with Browns mangling the QB market, full guarantees are going to be the first request of most any QB.

If the Ravens tag Jackson twice he'll get $70 million on those two contracts. Right up front, no less. And he might as well call that a given because no matter what happens, he'll get that tag twice. Even if he's injured, the Ravens will tag him.

And if they don't and he goes to the market, SOME franchise will give him exactly what he's asking for.

Jackson isn't risking a thing with this stance and with the QB market being what it is, I'm surprised more QBs don't do exactly what he's doing.

wazu 09-26-2022 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16490828)
Why?

Dak Prescott's leg exploded and he still got paid. An injury to a QB just doesn't mean much these days - teams will still pay for what they MIGHT be when they're healthy again.

So what is Jackson's risk? As long as he's in Baltimore they'll continue tailoring offenses to fit his strengths and he'll continue to look like an MVP caliber player. And with with Browns mangling the QB market, full guarantees are going to be the first request of most any QB.

If the Ravens tag Jackson twice he'll get $70 million on those two contracts. Right up front, no less. And he might as well call that a given because no matter what happens, he'll get that tag twice. Even if he's injured, the Ravens will tag him.

And if they don't and he goes to the market, SOME franchise will give him exactly what he's asking for.

Jackson isn't risking a thing with this stance and with the QB market being what it is, I'm surprised more QBs don't do exactly what he's doing.

He is risking never getting that first "huge" payday. It's unlikely that something catastrophic is going to happen, but it's not impossible. The Alex Smith type of injury or even a torn achilles could be very bad, especially given his style of play. There's something to be said for just taking that huge bag of money as the bird in the hand. If Lamar had signed that contract he'd be set for life and never have any need to worry about money again. Does it maximize his potential career earnings? No. But if you're set for life why would you really care?

ThaVirus 09-26-2022 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16490828)
Why?

It's all about his play style. They think he's likely to suffer a career or season-ending injury.

I don't understand how people haven't figured out that these players betting on themselves tends to work out pretty damned well more often than not, especially when you're as unique a talent as Lamar Jackson at a premium position.

ThaVirus 09-26-2022 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 16490839)
He is risking never getting that first "huge" payday. It's unlikely that something catastrophic is going to happen, but it's not impossible. The Alex Smith type of injury or even a torn achilles could be very bad, especially given his style of play. There's something to be said for just taking that huge bag of money as the bird in the hand. If Lamar had signed that contract he'd be set for life and never have any need to worry about money again. Does it maximize his potential career earnings? No. But if you're set for life why would you really care?

By the end of the 2022 season, Lamar will have earned like $30m in his career.

He's set either way. May as well swing for the fences.

DJ's left nut 09-26-2022 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 16490839)

He'll still get tagged. And if he doesn't, some franchise will pay him.

Dak proved you can throw those 'risk' arguments right out the window. They don't really exist at the top of the QB market.

DJ's left nut 09-26-2022 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 16490852)
By the end of the 2022 season, Lamar will have earned like $30m in his career.

He's set either way. May as well swing for the fences.

Exactly.

This isn't a 3rd round RB on his rookie deal. The kids made some decent money. What any normal calculus would consider generational wealth.

There's no incentive for him to sign early at this point

MarkDavis'Haircut 09-26-2022 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedingRed (Post 16490739)
Wahhh Doug Peterson knows how to coach a ****ing football team, who would have thunk

I wanted him once Gruden left.

Of course, we spun the NE roulette wheel instead.

jjchieffan 09-26-2022 04:07 PM

I refuse to watch the shitbirds unless they're playing the Chiefs,co I haven't seen him play this year. But, looking at his stats has he finally learned how to play quarterback in the NFL? I thought that he had peaked. He would decline further this year and never get close to his MVP year again. But, the stats say otherwise. And it's not like he's gone against a bunch of bottom feeders like the Seahawks and the Texans. He put up big numbers against a Miami team that held the Bills under 20 points. And Bill Belicheat defenses aren't exactly a walk in the park to play against. See if he can sustain it.

KChiefs1 09-28-2022 04:46 PM

All the NFL shows have already anointed him the MVP this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk