ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Lucas Niang opts out... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=332849)

Go Royals 08-07-2020 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 15104066)
Are these new CP buzzwords? I haven't logged on much lately. Anyways LMK!!

Buzzwords or not - you seem nice.

DJ's left nut 08-07-2020 09:04 AM

Quote:

Coincidence.

And if I'm using anything Clay is, I should probably reconsider.

Chief Roundup 08-07-2020 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 15104063)
Yeah, it's a loss of depth. But Niang was a huge question mark if only for health concerns. You can't pencil him in as any kind of clear upgrade, especially if Rankin manages to make it back in any kind of shape. And Osemele brings the same health issues that LDT did but with legitimate Pro Bowl upside that LDT didn't have.

Ultimately I just can't see any kind of support for the idea that the line is WORSE. We replaced LDT w/ a guy with the same floor and a higher ceiling. Niang was a wild card in his own right who would've essentially taken Wisniewki's roster spot. Okay, well we got Wiz off the street in week 6 - maybe that was more about the system than the player. The player himself was street free agent depth.

And if Fisher doesn't miss 9 weeks this year, the line will be HUGELY improved over last year, regardless of what else happens on the interior. Again - Cameron Erving took more snaps at LT last year than Eric Fisher did.

Yes, there's absolutely a path to this line being better than last year's line. All we need is a healthy Fisher and its essentially a lock. Losing a rookie (who had no camp and was coming off a serious injury) and a declining G doesn't change that.

I don't see how this OL is any better. If you are not improving you are going backwards.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

DJ's left nut 08-07-2020 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 15104105)
I don't see how this OL is any better. If you are not improving you are going backwards.

Oh.

I mean...that's certainly nonsense. So you do you, boo.

staylor26 08-07-2020 09:56 AM

Quote:

:facepalm:

RunKC 08-07-2020 10:04 AM

Quote:

Fisher, Reiter and Schwartz are back.

LDT was struggling last year. Hard to think there is much of any disparity with Osemele.

Remmers=Erving. He might actually be better but for the sake of argument they’re equal.

Rankin was good when he played and 2nd year Allegretti>rookie Allegretti. Then you have Daryl Williams as a developmental player with potential.

Not seeing where we went backwards here

RealSNR 08-07-2020 10:13 AM

We didn't pay starting G money for Wisniewski, which was absolutely the right move. We'll likely see a downgrade at LG from where we were at in the playoffs.

But HUGE hit to our OL depth? Incoming catastrophe? A line made up of nothing but Cameron Ervings and Mike McGlynns? No. Not at all. For the most part, we're largely unchanged, and if we hit on any of these guards, we're just as good if not better than where we were last year.

We'll be fine.

The Franchise 08-07-2020 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 15104127)
Fisher, Reiter and Schwartz are back.

LDT was struggling last year. Hard to think there is much of any disparity with Osemele.

Remmers=Erving. He might actually be better but for the sake of argument they’re equal.

Rankin was good when he played and 2nd year Allegretti>rookie Allegretti. Then you have Daryl Williams as a developmental player with potential.

Not seeing where we went backwards here

Osemele is LG. Wylie will be RG.

DJ's left nut 08-07-2020 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 15104138)
Osemele is LG. Wylie will be RG.

A position he played at least as well as LDT did in 2018.

I think Wylie was really exposed by having to play alongside Erving last year. He's a fine complementary player and by playing next to Schwartz next season, I think we'll see a similar performance to what we got out of him in '18 and LDT in '19.

If Osemele and Fisher stay healthy (admittedly a major if for both guys after their injuries last season, but both guys had relatively strong health histories leading up to a major injury in '19), the line will absolutely be improved over what it was in '19.

CasselGotPeedOn 08-07-2020 11:01 AM

Is Niang the only rookie to opt out?

MMXcalibur 08-07-2020 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 15104137)
We didn't pay starting G money for Wisniewski, which was absolutely the right move. We'll likely see a downgrade at LG from where we were at in the playoffs.

But HUGE hit to our OL depth? Incoming catastrophe? A line made up of nothing but Cameron Ervings and Mike McGlynns? No. Not at all. For the most part, we're largely unchanged, and if we hit on any of these guards, we're just as good if not better than where we were last year.

We'll be fine.

I don't think you quite understand what the modus operandi is around here, n00b.

FloridaMan88 08-07-2020 11:20 AM

As long as Schwartz and Fisher stay healthy, the Chiefs will be fine.

Titty Meat 08-07-2020 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 15104074)
My best guess right now is:

Fisher - Osemele - Reiter - Wylie - Schwartz

Remmers is your swing tackle. Rankin and Allegretti are your interior backups.

And we’ll keep 10 OL...maybe more so you’ve got other guys in there as well.

Is it the best offensive line out there? No. But we’ve got great OTs and Reid has shown the ability to find at least average starters on the interior.

Yikes I really hate the Reiter Wylie pairing it seemed to get Mahomes injured atleast 3 times last year.

The Franchise 08-07-2020 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 15104244)
Yikes I really hate the Reiter Wylie pairing it seemed to get Mahomes injured atleast 3 times last year.

Like DJ has pointed out though....that’s when Wylie was next to Erving. He should be better between Reiter and Schwartz.

Pasta Little Brioni 08-07-2020 01:11 PM

Quote:

The line is fine. Watch more football

Mecca 08-07-2020 01:13 PM

So the final opt out number is...69...

https://media3.giphy.com/media/O2K7w...&rid=giphy.gif

That seems purposeful..

DaneMcCloud 08-07-2020 01:52 PM

Quote:

The Chiefs were Bottom 5 in sacks allowed.

Sometimes, shit just happens.

JakeF 08-07-2020 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15104440)

Because Mahomes was a freaking super hero. The chance of him being able to do that again are not good. Defenses will adjust and bad luck just happens. It sucks that we lost 2 guys at the same position, which was one of our weakest.

Only OT would have been a worse opt-out than OG.

Niang has a lot of guts to opt-out right after he got drafted.

Just tired of having a shitty OL interior. :(

KChiefs1 08-07-2020 02:36 PM

Quote:

Cam Erving caused most of the injuries.

The Franchise 08-07-2020 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeF (Post 15104489)
Because Mahomes was a freaking super hero. The chance of him being able to do that again are not good. Defenses will adjust and bad luck just happens. It sucks that we lost 2 guys at the same position, which was one of our weakest.

Defenses will adjust? ROFL

RunKC 08-07-2020 02:39 PM

Quote:

The interior wasn’t bad though and Wylie, Reiter and Osemele doesn’t seem bad either, especially with Rankin and Remmers as depth.

I know this is a big surprise to you but not every position can be all-pro’s.

Cosmos 08-07-2020 02:42 PM

Quote:

Truth...Mahomes makes this OL look SOOOO much better than it is. He is the anti-Elvis Grbac. His pocket awareness and escapability is hall of fame level.

Look at our running stats, and see how poor our G/C are.

Was hoping Niang was going to be an upgrade by mid season.

RunKC 08-07-2020 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 15103352)
I wouldn't pencil is any rookies to start this year, outside of probably CEH out of necessity.

No offseason work was a crusher for rookies.

Who is our 3rd LB if Gay doesn’t start? Neimann and DOD are too small to be 3 down players.

Maybe Darius Harris? I mean he was basically redshirted so he doesn’t exactly have any more experience than a rookie.

Hard to think they won’t start Gay

DJ's left nut 08-07-2020 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 15104505)
Who is our 3rd LB if Gay doesn’t start? Neimann and DOD are too small to be 3 down players.

Maybe Darius Harris? I mean he was basically redshirted so he doesn’t exactly have any more experience than a rookie.

Hard to think they won’t start Gay

Eh....the Will doesn't have to be real big in this system.

Hitchens and Wilson both have the size/strength needed to play Mike/Sam - the Will can be more of a fast-twitch guy, provided that the DL holds the edge and the remaining backers do their jobs.

You also have fairly willing DBs in run support. If a fast Will can just force the RB into a decision point, everyone else can swarm.

I don't think bulk at Will is going to be the issue, honestly. It wouldn't hurt to have, but if Gay isn't up to speed mentally out of the box, I think we can survive. The real issue won't be size as much as savvy, IMO. DoD seems to be an idiot and Niemann doesn't diagnose as quickly as I'd like though recovers better than DoD because he's not shot out of a cannon everywhere.

DaneMcCloud 08-07-2020 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmos (Post 15104504)
Look at our running stats, and see how poor our G/C are.

wut

staylor26 08-07-2020 03:29 PM

I’m calling it now, Gay’s going to start. Just watch.

Mecca 08-07-2020 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 15104558)

He should, the competition is minimal, I wouldn't be stunned if O'Daniel got the ax.

DJ's left nut 08-07-2020 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 15104558)

I'd say by week 4, no question.

Little more hesitant to say that over the first couple of weeks. But they may just toss his ass in the deep end, tell Pat to score a lot if he has to and go from there...

JakeF 08-07-2020 05:31 PM

I don't the Chiefs have much choice but to start Gay sooner rather than later. We need more speed and athletic ability in our LB corp.

BigRedChief 08-07-2020 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeF (Post 15104720)
I don't the Chiefs have much choice but to start Gay sooner rather than later. We need more speed and athletic ability in our LB corp.

Yeah, even the casual fan could see that. They need Gay to excel and take the defense to the next level.

KCUnited 08-07-2020 06:45 PM

Quote:

https://i.imgur.com/plszTb5.gif

Chargem 08-08-2020 03:57 AM

I'd rather have a season of questionable "scrub football" than no season at all. Whoever wins this one, there will always be an asterisk on it so I am glad the Chiefs got theirs last year.

KChiefs1 08-08-2020 10:34 AM

Lucas Niang opts out...

Deion speaks out.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...o-opt-out/amp/

“All Players OPTING out in all sports PLEASE BELIEVE the game will go on without u,” Sanders said on Twitter. “This is a business & don’t u EVER forget that. There’s NO ONE that’s bigger than the game itself. Only the ref, umps & officials are that important that u can’t play without them. NOT YOU! #Truth.”

htismaqe 08-08-2020 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15104440)

It’s like people haven’t actually discovered than football in 2020 is different than the days of Martyball.

htismaqe 08-08-2020 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chargem (Post 15105133)
I'd rather have a season of questionable "scrub football" than no season at all. Whoever wins this one, there will always be an asterisk on it so I am glad the Chiefs got theirs last year.

Nope. I’d rather have no season at all than a season of XFL. That being said, it doesn’t look like there will be any difference in the number of truly blue chip players out their, including pretty much every Chiefs pro bowler, so the chances of it being “scrub” football are low.

htismaqe 08-08-2020 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 15105298)
Deion speaks out.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...o-opt-out/amp/

“All Players OPTING out in all sports PLEASE BELIEVE the game will go on without u,” Sanders said on Twitter. “This is a business & don’t u EVER forget that. There’s NO ONE that’s bigger than the game itself. Only the ref, umps & officials are that important that u can’t play without them. NOT YOU! #Truth.”

That’s just dumb. None of these players have said the game can’t go on without them. Literally none of them think that. So to say it just tilting at windmills.

On the flip side, if Damien Williams plays and his mom dies from complications of COVID, neither him nor his mother just “move on”.

Hammock Parties 08-08-2020 01:10 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Prominent industry source: &quot;I think by the end of the week the fall sports will be postponed in all conferences.&quot;</p>&mdash; Pat Forde (@ByPatForde) <a href="https://twitter.com/ByPatForde/status/1292123705733259265?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 8, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

DaneMcCloud 08-08-2020 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 15105452)

College athletics will fundamentally change in the next 12-18 months due to the "Image & Likeness" ruling and the fact that universities earn billions of dollars from unpaid athletes who are finally standing up for their rights.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the entire post-high school educational model completely crumble to the ground in the next 3 to 5 years, especially since universities across the country are still charging full rate (and in some cases, like USC, Ivy League, etc., in excess of $60K per year) for an Online Education.

DaneMcCloud 08-08-2020 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15105306)
That’s just dumb. None of these players have said the game can’t go on without them. Literally none of them think that. So to say it just tilting at windmills.

On the flip side, if Damien Williams plays and his mom dies from complications of COVID, neither him nor his mother just “move on”.

I have no idea why anyone pays any attention to what Dieon Sanders has to say about, well, anything.

I've tried watching his Sunday night wrap up show but his comments are so incredibly off-base that it's like watching the ramblings of a man with dementia.

FloridaMan88 08-08-2020 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15105306)

Your "logic" is hilariously stupid.

Damien Williams playing football this year and keeping his mom safe were not mutually exclusive scenarios.

htismaqe 08-08-2020 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 15105479)
Your "logic" is hilariously stupid.

Damien Williams playing football this year and keeping his mom safe were not mutually exclusive scenarios.

That’s your opinion. Nobody agrees on how dangerous this pandemic is so he’s trying to be safe since his mother has stage 4 cancer.

RunKC 08-09-2020 11:05 AM

So he’s definitely got the playbook and has already gone through team activities before he opted out. He’ll have a year to learn the basics while healing his hip.

This isn’t any different than Travis Kelce getting injured and missing his entire rookie season.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Before making his decision, Lucas Niang participated in all of the Chiefs’ training camp activities. He opted out of the season for family concerns amid the coronavirus pandemic.<br><br>As with Laurent Duvernay-Tardif &amp; Damien Williams, the Chiefs fully support Lucas’ decision.</p>&mdash; Nate Taylor (@ByNateTaylor) <a href="https://twitter.com/ByNateTaylor/status/1291378939424837633?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 6, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Chiefaholic 08-09-2020 05:55 PM

I respect the decision of Lucas, but selfishly wish he had played to get a year under his belt before taking over a starting position next season. The Chiefs can open op $11.5 million in cap space by cutting Fisher in '21. This set us back a year and puts us in a pickle with future cap space.

FloridaMan88 08-09-2020 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 15106385)
This isn’t any different than Travis Kelce getting injured and missing his entire rookie season.

Except for the fact that Kelce was still connected with the Chiefs during his injured rookie season... in attendance at the team facility, participating in team meetings, conditioning/rehab and having regular contact with the coaches.

Niang will be completely cut off from the organization as part of the opt out exile.

You are apparently still too stupid to grasp that difference.

Pasta Little Brioni 08-09-2020 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefaholic (Post 15106905)
I respect the decision of Lucas, but selfishly wish he had played to get a year under his belt before taking over a starting position next season. The Chiefs can open op $11.5 million in cap space by cutting Fisher in '21. This set us back a year and puts us in a pickle with future cap space.

Not sure why everyone is so excited to get rid of him. Chiefs were undefeated with him in the lineup during our superbiwl season. You can always figure out ways to make cap room. Veach is a magicician.

Chief Roundup 08-09-2020 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefaholic (Post 15106905)

And I was told that no one wanted to get rid of or move Fisher to LG. Here is one example of many that some tried to deny are in existence.

RunKC 08-09-2020 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 15106914)
Except for the fact that Kelce was still connected with the Chiefs during his injured rookie season... in attendance at the team facility, participating in team meetings, conditioning/rehab and having regular contact with the coaches.

Niang will be completely cut off from the organization as part of the opt out exile.

You are apparently still too stupid to grasp that difference.

The fact that you’re making this situation seem like it’s terrible is laughable the more you post about it.

Niang was in team meetings for weeks in the off-season virtual program before he opted out. I ask again: do you think Brett Veach and Andy Reid are too stupid to give instructions/advice on the playbook as well as from their medical staff on his time off? Do you really think they won’t care about their investment?

As for Kelce, he may have been in team meetings all season as a rookie but he was never practicing with the team on the field. He was doing rehab most of the time.

But hey continue to post as if Niang is in career jeopardy even though it’s really not a big deal.

Chiefaholic 08-09-2020 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 15107013)
And I was told that no one wanted to get rid of or move Fisher to LG. Here is one example of many that some tried to deny are in existence.

It all comes down to cap dollars and sacrifices needed to make room for Mahomes and Jones contract. Fisher has been respectable, but he sure as hell isn't elite. Hell, he could end up replacing one of the interior guards as well. Who the hell knows.....

Megatron96 08-09-2020 10:30 PM

The boy hasn't taken a single NFL snap yet, and we've already decided he's going to be the downfall of the team . . . CP.

Pasta Little Brioni 08-10-2020 04:53 AM

Chiefs are loaded with him or without

FloridaMan88 08-10-2020 08:55 AM

Jack Del Rio speaks the truth about these opt-out players...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ia-peter-king/

Quote:

“I have personal views that would probably not sit well with my professional occupation right now. I think I’ll just leave it like that.”
—Washington defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio, asked by Ben Standig of The Athletic how he feels about healthy players opting out of the 2020 NFL season.

I am reminded of an agent who told me recently: “You watch. Coaches won’t say it, but they’ll hold it against players who opt-out with medical reasons to do it.”

FloridaMan88 08-10-2020 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 15107069)
The fact that you’re making this situation seem like it’s terrible is laughable the more you post about it.

Niang was in team meetings for weeks in the off-season virtual program before he opted out. I ask again: do you think Brett Veach and Andy Reid are too stupid to give instructions/advice on the playbook as well as from their medical staff on his time off? Do you really think they won’t care about their investment?

As for Kelce, he may have been in team meetings all season as a rookie but he was never practicing with the team on the field. He was doing rehab most of the time.

But hey continue to post as if Niang is in career jeopardy even though it’s really not a big deal.

You are arguing there is a negligible difference between a player being a part of the team (at the facility, interacting with the coaching staff/trainers, conditioning/rehabbing with the team, etc.) for the duration of an entire season and a guy who will be completely cut off from the team until April 2021 (at least).

Enough said. ROFL

The Franchise 08-10-2020 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 15107411)

Jack Del Rio is a ****ing moron.

sedated 08-10-2020 09:17 AM

I really don't get the rush to cut Fisher. He is an above average LT and only counting for about $14 million this year and next, I'd take that all day over paying a guy $22-25. Save Niang for when his contract is up and wants a raise.

DJ's left nut 08-10-2020 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 15107445)
I really don't get the rush to cut Fisher. He is an above average LT and only counting for about $14 million this year and next, I'd take that all day over paying a guy $22-25. Save Niang for when his contract is up and wants a raise.

Old feelings die hard. It's a combination of the Schottenhiemer/Vermiel 'build around your elite OL' thinking and leftover animus from lousy luck in drawing 1.1 in a miserable draft year.

Fisher is among the top 5 pure pass pro LTs in the game and he's making 2/3 of what the 'elite' guys are making. And people want to cut him.

He's left on an island damn near every snap and does his job credibly.

Had we drafted this guy at 2.1 instead of 1.1, people would love him. There's been so much anti-Fisher sentiment due to his draft position that folks refuse to concede how well he's performed despite a massive degree of difficulty in Reid's offense.

And ultimately, if we're wrong about that, Reid will know it better than anyone on here and he'll get cut. But I suspect Reid/Veach will do what they have to do to keep Fisher around because they know how useful he is and how damaging it would be to cut him loose. At worst, he'll play out the final year of his deal (because again, he's below market) and they'll take the comp pick if they can't get an extension done.

Fisher's a good LT in a league where there are maybe a dozen of those. His cap figure is almost certainly below his market value. And people want to cut him then cite OTHER people wanting to cut him as proof they're right.

Aight. Makes sense.

Mecca 08-10-2020 09:53 AM

I don't hate Fisher, however we will have to save money somewhere and getting 5 years out of a dude making a couple mill a year isn't a horrible idea if you feel you can replace him with a draft pick.

Sassy Squatch 08-10-2020 09:57 AM

LMAO Jack Del Rio

Mecca 08-10-2020 09:59 AM

Quote:

Yes use a man with a history of being a complete dipshit.

CasselGotPeedOn 08-10-2020 10:08 AM

Apparently Nebraska and Iowa are trying to do the Lord's work.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Dan Patrick reports Big Ten had internal vote &amp; by 12-2 margin, league members opted on not having a fall football season. Nebraska &amp; Iowa were only schools that voted to play this fall, <a href="https://twitter.com/dpshow?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@dpshow</a> said. Patrick said Big Ten &amp; Pac-12 would cancel fall seasons Tuesday</p>&mdash; Brett McMurphy (@Brett_McMurphy) <a href="https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1292819735827156997?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 10, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Kiimo 08-10-2020 10:28 AM

Quote:

Jack Del Rio is one of the biggest morons in sports

DJ's left nut 08-10-2020 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 15107486)
I don't hate Fisher, however we will have to save money somewhere and getting 5 years out of a dude making a couple mill a year isn't a horrible idea if you feel you can replace him with a draft pick.

Sure - that's always the idea. And it just doesn't work that often. Most of the time, a draft pick, especially a 3rd rounder, isn't equipped to just step in and replace a Pro Bowl player at a critical position.

The same people calling for Fisher to be cut are lauding Veach's work in retaining a luxury player in Sammy Watkins despite using a 2nd rounder on Hardman last year and getting a productive season out of him.

Want to save $12 million in a way that doesn't expose Mahomes to add'l abuse? Cut Hitchens now, absorb the hit, clean the books for next season and there - you've cleared the same amount as cutting Fisher without getting rid of a dude who didn't lose a game while starting at the most important position on the OL for us last season.

And again - I like Niang a lot. I was on board with taking him in the 2nd before the draft started. I think he can be a very good player and maybe someday win that job outright. But it wasn't going to happen even by 2021, not with 2020 likely being something of a redshirt season even before the COVID thing happened.

Natural attrition will take care of this - there's no reason at all to piss away the final (and cost effective) year of Fisher's contract when there are other, LESS cost effective line items on our salary cap.

Mecca 08-10-2020 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 15107560)
Sure - that's always the idea. And it just doesn't work that often. Most of the time, a draft pick, especially a 3rd rounder, isn't equipped to just step in and replace a Pro Bowl player at a critical position.

The same people calling for Fisher to be cut are lauding Veach's work in retaining a luxury player in Sammy Watkins despite using a 2nd rounder on Hardman last year and getting a productive season out of him.

Want to save $12 million in a way that doesn't expose Mahomes to add'l abuse? Cut Hitchens now, absorb the hit, clean the books for next season and there - you've cleared the same amount as cutting Fisher without getting rid of a dude who didn't lose a game while starting at the most important position on the OL for us last season.

And again - I like Niang a lot. I was on board with taking him in the 2nd before the draft started. I think he can be a very good player and maybe someday win that job outright. But it wasn't going to happen even by 2021, not with 2020 likely being something of a redshirt season even before the COVID thing happened.

Natural attrition will take care of this - there's no reason at all to piss away the final (and cost effective) year of Fisher's contract when there are other, LESS cost effective line items on our salary cap.

Oh I don't mean Niang, I think if they really want to replace a LT, that's a 1st round pick.

DJ's left nut 08-10-2020 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 15107571)
Oh I don't mean Niang, I think if they really want to replace a LT, that's a 1st round pick.

I'd sure love a world where a CB gets taken that can step in to replace Breeland and give us a year alongside Ward to see how hard we'll have work to keep Ward around.

I think this defense can function w/ a solid, dependable #1 and a fringy #2. It's not ideal, but it's workable. But if you can't get a guy in here next year to see what you have, you really have little choice but to retain Ward at nearly any cost.

Though another developmental T couldn't hurt w/ Schwartz also getting a little older and having interests outside of football.

Chief Roundup 08-10-2020 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 15107431)
Jack Del Rio is a ****ing moron.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 15107493)
LMAO Jack Del Rio

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 15107497)
Yes use a man with a history of being a complete dipshit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiimosabi (Post 15107549)
Jack Del Rio is one of the biggest morons in sports

Come on guys what did you expect from someone that is in the same league.

Ocotillo 02-08-2021 04:23 PM

I wonder if Niang felt any regret watching it on the tube.

OKchiefs 02-08-2021 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocotillo (Post 15539191)

I know I'm not the only one who's fairly pissed at him for opting out, but it is what it is. Hopefully he will make up for it going forward. I can't help but think there is going to be some animosity from at least some of his teammates going forward for a while, no matter how legitimate his reason for opting out was. LDT and Damien Williams were already here and have fought with the team for a Super Bowl, so I think the team will give them a pass. But Niang is a nobody at this point to his teammates and has earned zero respect to this point until he shows up and earns it. I wouldn't be surprised to see a cold reception from some and an extra dose of rookie hazing.

JakeF 02-08-2021 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 15107486)

After watching our Oline get destroyed without Fisher, you want to let him walk? We need to be adding to and upgrading our offensive line, not going with more scrubs.

TwistedChief 02-08-2021 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocotillo (Post 15539191)

I'm sure he felt regret from the moment he opted out. And I'm sure he felt regret seeing at how the season progressed and was generally safe for the athletes who participated. And I'm sure he felt regret last night.

Doesn't mean we need to feel differently about the guy. My guess is he feels on some level like he let the team down and he's concerned with how he'll be received.

But, it is what it is. I look forward to his contribution next year and hold no resentment toward him.

OKchiefs 02-08-2021 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeF (Post 15539233)
After watching our Oline get destroyed without Fisher, you want to let him walk? We need to be adding to and upgrading our offensive line, not going with more scrubs.

Fisher likely won't be back until midseason next year, and even then it's questionable if he'll be back at 100%. It's the last year of his contract and we can save $12 million by letting him go and using that money elsewhere to address the line. I don't see how keeping him on IR/PUP at his salary helps the roster in 2021.

IowaHawkeyeChief 02-08-2021 04:43 PM

Quote:

In fairness, I think that post was from August.

IowaHawkeyeChief 02-08-2021 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwistedChief (Post 15539240)
I'm sure he felt regret from the moment he opted out. And I'm sure he felt regret seeing at how the season progressed and was generally safe for the athletes who participated. And I'm sure he felt regret last night.

Doesn't mean we need to feel differently about the guy. My guess is he feels on some level like he let the team down and he's concerned with how he'll be received.

But, it is what it is. I look forward to his contribution next year and hold no resentment toward him.

and I don't think he was totally healthy when he opted out. We also don't lose a year of his rookie deal...

jd1020 02-08-2021 04:44 PM

Quote:

Is Eric Fisher some guy that can't be improved on or something? The Chiefs entire line was shuffled around and/or missing. It wasn't just missing Fisher, who has his fair share of issues from time to time and got absolutely embarrassed in last years SB, that was reason for the OL failure.

chiefzilla1501 02-08-2021 05:14 PM

Another angle is that fisher might be cheaper to extend to a new deal. Two straight years of injury and no longer negotiating a peak deal. Plus you'd have to imagine owners will be very tight fisted this offseason given potential cap changes.

JakeF 02-08-2021 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief (Post 15539244)
In fairness, I think that post was from August.

Oops, thanks for the info. :redface:

mililo4cpa 02-08-2021 05:22 PM

In RE: to Niang: My alternate theory was he opted out because he wasn't totally healthy, probably wasn't going to play, so he may have been "encouraged" to opt out so that the Chiefs get the benefit of the extra year.

Niang gets to earn his small salary while getting healthy and not having to deal with the rigors of the season, and will still have his full rookie deal (i.e. the total time to actually play v. losing one year for health), Chiefs get their player for the full deal, healthy and ready, and no lost time due to the injury....

Just a theory....

JakeF 02-08-2021 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 15539246)
Is Eric Fisher some guy that can't be improved on or something? The Chiefs entire line was shuffled around and/or missing. It wasn't just missing Fisher, who has his fair share of issues from time to time and got absolutely embarrassed in last years SB, that was reason for the OL failure.

I would be find if the Chiefs decided to upgrade the left tackle position but i doubt they will, so keeping Fisher is probably our best get. We'll be lucky if Andy upgrades the offensive line at all. We don't know if Schwartz is going to be back next year either.

Pitt Gorilla 02-08-2021 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mililo4cpa (Post 15539296)
In RE: to Niang: My alternate theory was he opted out because he wasn't totally healthy, probably wasn't going to play, so he may have been "encouraged" to opt out so that the Chiefs get the benefit of the extra year.

Niang gets to earn his small salary while getting healthy and not having to deal with the rigors of the season, and will still have his full rookie deal (i.e. the total time to actually play v. losing one year for health), Chiefs get their player for the full deal, healthy and ready, and no lost time due to the injury....

Just a theory....

I'm pretty sure that's precisely what happened and have noted it previously many times.