ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports Off Season Lets Talk Guns, Part 2 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=293623)

srvy 05-04-2016 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munson (Post 12216440)
That's a good price. But I'm pretty sure they charge 3% extra if you want to pay with a credit card.

Yes it is but you can check a box that you are sending a check in mail and the credid card is for a hold. It will then be shipped to the FFL of your choice. What I'm not clear on is if it ships right away and your 16 bucks is refund on the card when check is received.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Viper400 05-05-2016 03:31 PM

I have some nice guns that I would like to post some pics of. Evidently, you have to be on here for about 10 years before you are allowed to post pics and links.

Bwana 05-05-2016 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viper400 (Post 12217802)
I have some nice guns that I would like to post some pics of. Evidently, you have to be on here for about 10 years before you are allowed to post pics and links.

Try it now.

Viper400 05-05-2016 06:15 PM

My 1911.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...7eb8309a79.jpg

Viper400 05-05-2016 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 12218044)
Try it now.

Thanks

Bwana 05-05-2016 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viper400 (Post 12218121)
Thanks

You got it.

Viper400 05-05-2016 06:21 PM

My EDC. CZ75D P-01. The 2nd pic is the gun holstered in a Pancake IWB/OWB from www.stitchdex.com. Top notch company.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...61f5528c3a.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...1bcf41fd4e.jpg

Tombstone RJ 05-07-2016 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 12216345)
http://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?...s#.Vyp-bjArJhF

Not a bad price on AR S&W MP15 sport II 5.56 16" $540.00 shipped Kentucky Gun Co.

What say you?

Buy it! If Hillary gets into office, that gun will be worth $2k.

Tombstone RJ 05-07-2016 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munson (Post 12216440)
That's a good price. But I'm pretty sure they charge 3% extra if you want to pay with a credit card.

If you can get a solid AR for less than $600, do it. Again, we don't know who's gonna be in office come the next election and that AR will go up in value significantly, just like ARs did when BO got into office.

Elections have consequences.

Now, if Trump gets in, you never know what will happen with the second amendment. Supposedly he has a conceal carry license and all that jazz, but I don't think he's a true conservative.

Fish 05-07-2016 10:43 AM

Anybody handled the new Walther PPS M2? Looking to get one soon...

http://www.recoilweb.com/wp-content/...her_PPS_03.jpg

notorious 06-13-2016 04:50 PM

Bump for summertime shooting!

notorious 06-13-2016 05:00 PM

I am going to get a Ruger RPR 6.5 Creedmoor for my father:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6AlwsoMYOVg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I already got him a Steiner T5xi scope (with upgraded turrets) to put on it. The old man deserves it. He has kept my insatiable appetite for precision reloads at bay.

Munson 06-13-2016 05:02 PM

For the past several months I've been concentrating on buying "old" guns, such as Mausers, Mosin Nagants, SKS's, and Enfields.

But with recent events, I might have to add some more AR-15's. Or maybe just some lower receivers.

notorious 06-13-2016 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munson (Post 12273997)
For the past several months I've been concentrating on buying "old" guns, such as Mausers, Mosin Nagants, SKS's, and Enfields.

But with recent events, I might have to add some more AR-15's. Or maybe just some lower receivers.

I love the classics.

Have you found a Springfield 1903 with vintage scope? :drool:

Munson 06-13-2016 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 12274003)
I love the classics.

Have you found a Springfield 1903 with vintage scope? :drool:

No, but I do have a 1903A3.

notorious 06-13-2016 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munson (Post 12274007)
No, but I do have a 1903A3.

Nice.

Very nice. :thumbs:

notorious 06-13-2016 05:09 PM

Where do you suggest I find a decent Mauser?

Munson 06-13-2016 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 12274012)
Where do you suggest I find a decent Mauser?

Its not easy finding a decent Mauser locally that hasn't been bubba'd.

The best place online is Simpson LTD. They've got the best selection, but their prices are a bit high.

Another place is Empire Arms. You need to get on his email list if you want a shot at getting a good one.

srvy 06-13-2016 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munson (Post 12274042)
Its not easy finding a decent Mauser locally that hasn't been bubba'd.

The best place online is Simpson LTD. They've got the best selection, but their prices are a bit high.

Another place is Empire Arms. You need to get on his email list if you want a shot at getting a good one.

Is Bubba'd what my Dad used to call sporterized?

Munson 06-13-2016 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 12274095)
Is Bubba'd what my Dad used to call sporterized?

Pretty much.

Trivers 06-13-2016 05:44 PM

Quote:

Did you see the Finnish M39s at Classic?

https://www.classicfirearms.com/long...eid=ae14410794

Thought long and hard about getting one. Decided 7.62 Surge suppersor was more important.

Beautiful weapons.

Munson 06-13-2016 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trivers (Post 12274109)
Did you see the Finnish M39s at Classic?

https://www.classicfirearms.com/long...eid=ae14410794

Thought long and hard about getting one. Decided 7.62 Surge suppersor was more important.

Beautiful weapons.

I sure did, but I had already bought an M39 a year or two before Classic had them.

Wise choice on getting a suppressor. I've been wanting to get one or two for myself.

notorious 06-13-2016 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munson (Post 12274118)
I sure did, but I had already bought an M39 a year or two before Classic had them.

Wise choice on getting a suppressor. I've been wanting to get one or two for myself.

Do it now. Purchasing through a trust is just about to be ended in 30 days.

If you get the paperwork started before the deadline you are GTG.

https://silencerco.com/

I had a baffle strike on a 7.62 Specwar about a month ago. It was probably my fault, but they took it back, and repaired it under their lifetime warranty. They had it back to me in less than 3 weeks.

No questions asked. Great company.

I purchased a Harvester for my .338 LM from Specwar, too, along with transferring a couple lowers to SBR.

srvy 06-13-2016 06:12 PM

Yes the WWII generation came home and made those old military rifles to resemble Weatherby hunting rifles. I'm am sure the last thing they wanted seen with is military style weapon to hunt with. They just seen things differently. My dad rest his sole always wondered why anyone wanted to hunt with a me or Springfield with Bayonetta and tripod mounts still attached. I remember going with Dad to gun shops and even kresgys what later became kmart. They had barrels full of Japan rifles, Mausers, Springfields, Enfields. Dad didn't want anything to do with the Japanese or German rifles. I think he got an old Enfield and sporterized it and hunted with it until his death. My brother has that rifle now.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

HonestChieffan 06-13-2016 07:50 PM

You all may appreciate our Sheriff in Bates County Mo:

In the wake of continued attacks against Americans on American soil. The Bates County Sheriff is waiving the cost of the CCW Permits for the rest of June. The Bates County Sheriff's Office will hold another CCW Class on July 9th with those attendees also receiving their 5 year permits at no cost along with the free class taught by Bates County Sheriff's Office. This is for Bates County Residents only.

"I feel that I have a Duty to Protect the Citizens while here in Bates County and allow them to be able to protect themselves and their loved ones while they are away," Says Sheriff Anderson. "I will continue to pray for peace for our country and the world. But I will not put blinders on and act like this can not happen here or to people we know and love.

I want to say a Big Thank You to the Law Enforcement and First Responders Community for what you are willing to sacrifice for our nation at home. While this will be debated on so many different levels please remember that your local first responders are the ones that will be there ready at a moments notice to handle any of these threats."

To sign up please call the Sheriff's Office between 9 and 4 Monday thru Friday. Class size is limited.to 30 if class is full then we may put you on a waiting list for another class.

Bwana 06-13-2016 08:22 PM

Quote:

This

Lzen 06-13-2016 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestChieffan (Post 12274391)

In the wake of continued attacks against Americans on American soil. The Bates County Sheriff is waiving the cost of the CCW Permits for the rest of June. The Bates County Sheriff's Office will hold another CCW Class on July 9th with those attendees also receiving their 5 year permits at no cost along with the free class taught by Bates County Sheriff's Office. This is for Bates County Residents only.

"I feel that I have a Duty to Protect the Citizens while here in Bates County and allow them to be able to protect themselves and their loved ones while they are away," Says Sheriff Anderson. "I will continue to pray for peace for our country and the world. But I will not put blinders on and act like this can not happen here or to people we know and love.

I want to say a Big Thank You to the Law Enforcement and First Responders Community for what you are willing to sacrifice for our nation at home. While this will be debated on so many different levels please remember that your local first responders are the ones that will be there ready at a moments notice to handle any of these threats."

To sign up please call the Sheriff's Office between 9 and 4 Monday thru Friday. Class size is limited.to 30 if class is full then we may put you on a waiting list for another class.

Nice!

Perineum Ripper 06-13-2016 09:52 PM

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Radi...-fhr24-6.5.htm

So building a 1000 yds rifle and this is the first piece of the puzzle I'm going with

Tombstone RJ 06-14-2016 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestChieffan (Post 12274391)

Awesome, and the exact right response to terrorist attacks!

Easy 6 06-14-2016 02:11 PM

My newest addition, Springfield Armory XD .45 Mod 2... cant wait to take it to the river this weekend

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-P0Aw52xTDY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Trivers 06-14-2016 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 12275511)
My newest addition, Springfield Armory XD .45 Mod 2... cant wait to take it to the river this weekend

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-P0Aw52xTDY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NEXT handgun purchase!

Please share your feedback.

Easy 6 06-14-2016 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trivers (Post 12275675)
NEXT handgun purchase!

Please share your feedback.

On sale for $539, its slim and light... hope it shoots as good as it looks and feels

And I hate to take this to DC, but was disappointed see that its made in Croatia... a gun maker in my home state making their product overseas, smh

notorious 06-14-2016 06:20 PM

I love my XDS .45. Mod 2 can only be better.

George Liquor 06-14-2016 06:52 PM

Has the panic buy started yet?

I need some more .223

notorious 06-14-2016 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDj23 (Post 12275872)
Has the panic buy started yet?

I need some more .223

Not that I have seen.

Everything is stocked, and if things run low the manufacturers have a lot larger capacity to produce thanks to the Sandy Hook scare.

Trivers 06-14-2016 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 12275877)
Not that I have seen.

Everything is stocked, and if things run low the manufacturers have a lot larger capacity to produce thanks to the Sandy Hook scare.

Hey, for the CP reloaders....

How much components do you keep in storage or reserve?

I have ~2K 7.62 bullets; 10lbs of power, ~1.8K primers, and 1K in cases.

in past shortages, what became scarce?

notorious 06-14-2016 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trivers (Post 12275890)
Hey, for the CP reloaders....

How much components do you keep in storage or reserve?

I have ~2K 7.62 bullets; 10lbs of power, ~1.8K primers, and 1K in cases.

in past shortages, what became scarce?

A lot.

Past shortages, powder like Varget and Benchmark were hard to find. Primers were damn near impossible to find, and if you did they were marked up.

Bullets were still out there, but the selection sucked.

As far as gun parts, everything was gone, but when things settled the parts that were hardest to come by were BCGs (bolt and carrier groups) and stripped lowers.

Manufacturers upgraded their capacity when they found out how great the demand was/is.

stlchiefs 06-15-2016 09:05 PM

Decent deal or not? $599 for a S&W M&P Sport II with 30 rd mag? http://www.cabelas.com/product/shoot...es/2231083.uts

stlchiefs 06-15-2016 09:12 PM

Quote:

Where are you finding the best guns/prices on the classics?

Munson 06-15-2016 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlchiefs (Post 12277592)
Decent deal or not? $599 for a S&W M&P Sport II with 30 rd mag? http://www.cabelas.com/product/shoot...es/2231083.uts

Good deal. But you could also buy from here for the same price, without paying tax, and free shipping to your FFL.

stlchiefs 06-15-2016 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 12274125)
Do it now. Purchasing through a trust is just about to be ended in 30 days.

If you get the paperwork started before the deadline you are GTG.

https://silencerco.com/

I had a baffle strike on a 7.62 Specwar about a month ago. It was probably my fault, but they took it back, and repaired it under their lifetime warranty. They had it back to me in less than 3 weeks.

No questions asked. Great company.

I purchased a Harvester for my .338 LM from Specwar, too, along with transferring a couple lowers to SBR.

Any additional info you can provide on the trust, getting this setup, etc. This is all very new to me, but sounds like something worth checking out before it gets harder.

Munson 06-15-2016 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlchiefs (Post 12277598)
Where are you finding the best guns/prices on the classics?

For the best selection and quality....

Simpson LTD

Empire Arms

For the best local deals...

ARMSLIST

Midwest Gun Trader

notorious 06-15-2016 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlchiefs (Post 12277602)
Any additional info you can provide on the trust, getting this setup, etc. This is all very new to me, but sounds like something worth checking out before it gets harder.

I did my trust through nfalawyers.com. They were referred to me at snipershide.com

Cheap, simple, and it worked for every Class III item I have purchased.

For those that are reading, a trust allows you to "transfer" items to family instead of having to turn it in to law enforcement if you die. The people on the trust are also legally allowed to use the items. You can also avoid having to be finger printed (which is ****ing stupid because you get a rectal exam-type background check before getting your tax stamp).

Trivers 06-16-2016 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 12277632)
I did my trust through nfalawyers.com. They were referred to me at snipershide.com

Cheap, simple, and it worked for every Class III item I have purchased.

For those that are reading, a trust allows you to "transfer" items to family instead of having to turn it in to law enforcement if you die. The people on the trust are also legally allowed to use the items. You can also avoid having to be finger printed (which is ****ing stupid because you get a rectal exam-type background check before getting your tax stamp).

A BIG REP for you.

I called and the paralegal answered all my Form 41 questions for 14 minutes. New revisions after the July 13 date. Will be ordering from them.

Trivers 06-16-2016 08:37 AM

Cabales currently having a 10% on powder and 15% off on primers in stock sale.

Picked up 3K of CCI 450; and 3lbs of 1680 (that I had stashed in a secret location waiting for such a sale).

Now if I can find a great deal on 5K of 300 BlK cases..

notorious 06-16-2016 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trivers (Post 12277869)
Cabales currently having a 10% on powder and 15% off on primers in stock sale.

Picked up 3K of CCI 450; and 3lbs of 1680 (that I had stashed in a secret location waiting for such a sale).

Now if I can find a great deal on 5K of 300 BlK cases..

Make your own!

We purchased a tiny lathe and blade setup that cuts down 5.56 brass. It cost around 300 for everything but it will pay itself off.

stlchiefs 06-16-2016 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munson (Post 12277601)
Good deal. But you could also buy from here for the same price, without paying tax, and free shipping to your FFL.

For the price point, is that the gun you'd buy? Is this an actual sale or can you find them for this price somewhere all the time? Thanks for all the info!

notorious 06-16-2016 10:57 AM

It all depends on what you need/want.

A S&W MP will work for 98% of people out there that like to plink and play around. For the 2% that are hardcore you probably want a piston AR with a tougher barrel, decent hand guard and buttstock. Another alternative is to get a nickel-boron bolt and carrier group which helps a little with carbon fouling.

Gas guns are inherently more accurate than their piston counterparts, but once again, it all depends on what you need.

stlchiefs 06-16-2016 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 12278057)
It all depends on what you need/want.

A S&W MP will work for 98% of people out there that like to plink and play around. For the 2% that are hardcore you probably want a piston AR with a tougher barrel, decent hand guard and buttstock. Another alternative is to get a nickel-boron bolt and carrier group which helps a little with carbon fouling.

Gas guns are inherently more accurate than their piston counterparts, but once again, it all depends on what you need.

Honestly, just looking to grab an AR. Not wanting to build my own and totally a plinker. I'm in the 98%. That being said, is this a good deal on a good gun or should I consider something different in this price point? Does a deal like this come around much?

notorious 06-16-2016 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlchiefs (Post 12278090)
Honestly, just looking to grab an AR. Not wanting to build my own and totally a plinker. I'm in the 98%. That being said, is this a good deal on a good gun or should I consider something different in this price point? Does a deal like this come around much?

It's a pretty common price, but if you are ready just buy. You never know when people are going to panic and a 600 Gun becomes a 1500 gun.

Munson 06-16-2016 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlchiefs (Post 12278028)
For the price point, is that the gun you'd buy? Is this an actual sale or can you find them for this price somewhere all the time? Thanks for all the info!

I almost bought one a couple days ago when it came with 4 additional Pmags. For the price, its hard to beat. You can't go wrong with the S&W as your first AR15.

You're going to find that many places are going to start selling out of many AR15's, or significantly raise their prices due to Orlando and the calls for a new Assault Weapons Ban from the Democrats. Same thing with ammo and mags. It would be wise to stock up.

If you find an AR15 you like that is in stock, and fairly priced, I would NOT wait to grab it.

Perineum Ripper 06-16-2016 03:07 PM

So I need to brag to you guys a little bit

I got a call from a buddy who knows some guys who work on custom made guns saying they were going to test a new gun they were working on. I drove down to Texas to check it out and shoot the gun some as well. It was a great gun and was a blast to shoot. Basically a McMillan but with some changes to it. We were shooting out to 1500 yds with very good consistency then we moved to 2000 yds and by the end of the day of shooting I made a shot at 2750 yds and busted a milk jug.

As a sniper in the military my furthest shot on a target was 1700. I was impressed I added another 1000 yds tof my personal best. So I wanted to come brag a little

notorious 06-16-2016 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac459 (Post 12278429)
So I need to brag to you guys a little bit

I got a call from a buddy who knows some guys who work on custom made guns saying they were going to test a new gun they were working on. I drove down to Texas to check it out and shoot the gun some as well. It was a great gun and was a blast to shoot. Basically a McMillan but with some changes to it. We were shooting out to 1500 yds with very good consistency then we moved to 2000 yds and by the end of the day of shooting I made a shot at 2750 yds and busted a milk jug.

As a sniper in the military my furthest shot on a target was 1700. I was impressed I added another 1000 yds tof my personal best. So I wanted to come brag a little

Lobbing artillery!

What cartridge were you shooting?

Perineum Ripper 06-16-2016 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 12278445)
Lobbing artillery!

What cartridge were you shooting?

It was a 416 Barrett

George Liquor 06-16-2016 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 12275877)
Not that I have seen.

After doing an ammo check i need:

100rds of 12 gauge birdshot
100rds of 20 gauge birdshot
100rds (probably 400 to have at least 1000) of .233/5.56
100rds of 9mm

That ought to run me around $120 or so at Cabelas, ya think?

Shooting is expensive.

notorious 06-16-2016 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac459 (Post 12278483)
It was a 416 Barrett

Cool.

What kind of glass did they have on it?

(sorry about the questions :D)

Perineum Ripper 06-16-2016 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 12278491)
Cool.

What kind of glass did they have on it?

(sorry about the questions :D)

Nightforce B.E.A.S.T 5-25x56

Was a beautiful scope

Questions are perfectly fine

srvy 06-16-2016 04:50 PM

They had the owner of Adventure Outdoors a large gun store in Georgia he said AR 15s were flying off the rack at a rate or 15 an hour in his place since Orlando shooting.
Yep if you find one on the rack buy I stopped a couple places on my way home nothing but 22 style AR 15s. They had no idea when they would get restocked. Cabela's is OOS in my area.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

notorious 06-16-2016 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac459 (Post 12278536)
Nightforce B.E.A.S.T 5-25x56

Was a beautiful scope

Questions are perfectly fine

One of the best scopes on the planet. I prefer that the turrets worked like normal, but it's still okay.

Perineum Ripper 06-16-2016 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 12278587)
One of the best scopes on the planet. I prefer that the turrets worked like normal, but it's still okay.

I love Nightforce..I hate paying the price for them but the clarity and the quality of scope is unmatched..for me anyway

stlchiefs 06-16-2016 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munson (Post 12278371)

If you find an AR15 you like that is in stock, and fairly priced, I would NOT wait to grab it.

Looks like I did just that. It was showing as in stock at my local store this afternoon. I planned on going over lunch tomorrow, but it's out of stock now. Same with the sportsmanoutdoors site. Damn procrastination! :cuss:

notorious 06-16-2016 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac459 (Post 12278653)
I love Nightforce..I hate paying the price for them but the clarity and the quality of scope is unmatched..for me anyway

ATACR and BEAST glass is considered in the same class as Schmidt Bender. Excellent.

The best scopes I own are Steiner Military, which are nice, but eventually I want to get a 5-25 ATACR F1.

Budget wise my Leupold VX-R 3-9 Patrol is fantastic. This scope hits above its price.

Perineum Ripper 06-16-2016 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 12279080)
ATACR and BEAST glass is considered in the same class as Schmidt Bender. Excellent.

The best scopes I own are Steiner Military, which are nice, but eventually I want to get a 5-25 ATACR F1.

Budget wise my Leupold VX-R 3-9 Patrol is fantastic. This scope hits above its price.

I completely forgot about Schmidt..they are fantastic as well..I'm glad you said something I might try to track one of them down for my next gun build

I have a few Leupolds..I like them a lot and would recommend them to anyway who has a modest budget

srvy 06-17-2016 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlchiefs (Post 12279065)
Looks like I did just that. It was showing as in stock at my local store this afternoon. I planned on going over lunch tomorrow, but it's out of stock now. Same with the sportsmanoutdoors site. Damn procrastination! :cuss:

https://www.deguns.net/del-ton-sport.../dtsportlt.htm

stumppy 06-20-2016 07:13 AM

I could use some info from some of you guys. I've been thinking about getting myself a very basic AR. Something I can upgrade over time. I've had different guns over the years , shotguns, rifles, a few pistols, I've never really "got in to" guns. I want something I can use for deer hunting, target practice, and home defense.
I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to buy parts as I go and build it myself considering my initial budget is only about $250 - $300. Where should I start ?

InChiefsHeaven 06-20-2016 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumppy (Post 12283151)
I could use some info from some of you guys. I've been thinking about getting myself a very basic AR. Something I can upgrade over time. I've had different guns over the years , shotguns, rifles, a few pistols, I've never really "got in to" guns. I want something I can use for deer hunting, target practice, and home defense.
I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to buy parts as I go and build it myself considering my initial budget is only about $250 - $300. Where should I start ?

IMO, you won't find a new AR for 300.00. I got a DPMS Oracle for 550.00 at Cabelas a few months back. Good starter AR from what I'm told and I'm happy with it. But I've never seen one in .223 or .556 for 300. I've seen the .22 LR for that cheap though.

Also, hunting deer with it is not optimal, as I've found out. It's too light of a round. There are companies that make white tail ammo in .223, but most people I know say it's really not a good deer round. Which sucks, because I also bought it to hunt deer with as well, but I'll probably just stay with my trusty old .30.30...

stumppy 06-20-2016 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell (Post 12283156)
IMO, you won't find a new AR for 300.00. I got a DPMS Oracle for 550.00 at Cabelas a few months back. Good starter AR from what I'm told and I'm happy with it. But I've never seen one in .223 or .556 for 300. I've seen the .22 LR for that cheap though.

Also, hunting deer with it is not optimal, as I've found out. It's too light of a round. There are companies that make white tail ammo in .223, but most people I know say it's really not a good deer round. Which sucks, because I also bought it to hunt deer with as well, but I'll probably just stay with my trusty old .30.30...

Thats what I was afraid of. I don't hunt much anymore, usually to help stock a disabled friends freezer. Almost all the shots are 50 yrds or less though..
The 250 / 300 budget is just initially. Thats why I was considering buying the parts over time and building one.

Munson 06-20-2016 08:24 AM

With a budget of $300, you could buy a complete lower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stumppy 06-20-2016 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munson (Post 12283183)
With a budget of $300, you could buy a complete lower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats what I figured. After checking a couple websites posted in this thread it looks like if I want a quality rifle I'm going to have to buy the parts monthly and build it myself or just spring for the cost of a new one if there's much difference in cost.
Is there much difference in the cost of building one as opposed to just buying a comparable one ?

Trivers 06-20-2016 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumppy (Post 12283210)
Thats what I figured. After checking a couple websites posted in this thread it looks like if I want a quality rifle I'm going to have to buy the parts monthly and build it myself or just spring for the cost of a new one if there's much difference in cost.
Is there much difference in the cost of building one as opposed to just buying a comparable one ?

I just built a basic AR using items on sale and usually free shipping for ~450-500. That included cheap optics.

https://www.palmettostatearmory.com/ is your friend.

Also, I built it as a 300 Blackout. http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/ Essentially, you use a .30 cal bullet in a modified 5.56 case. All the same gun parts as a 5.56 AR except for the barrel.

Now you can go deer hunting. :)

stumppy 06-20-2016 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trivers (Post 12283248)
I just built a basic AR using items on sale and usually free shipping for ~450-500. That included cheap optics.

https://www.palmettostatearmory.com/ is your friend.

Also, I built it as a 300 Blackout. http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/ Essentially, you use a .30 cal bullet in a modified 5.56 case. All the same gun parts as a 5.56 AR except for the barrel.

Now you can go deer hunting. :)

Cool, I was just checking out the palmetto website. It looks like that is the way to go for what I want. I'm going to ck out the 300 board. Looks like it should have about all the info I would need.

Perineum Ripper 06-20-2016 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumppy (Post 12283271)
Cool, I was just checking out the palmetto website. It looks like that is the way to go for what I want. I'm going to ck out the 300 board. Looks like it should have about all the info I would need.

If you are thinking about deer hunting get with your AR look into building one with a 6.5 Grendel..I am building one now that I'm using for a 1000 yard rifle..it comes in higher grain bullets that are perfect for deer hunting

You will need a different barrel and magazines for the 6.5

OR you can build whatever lower and upper you want then build a new upper later on..if you do that make sure you get a lower that is rated for multiple caliber

ghak99 06-20-2016 02:56 PM

Made my first 80% lower order.

Is 4 enough to cure the curiosity? :rockon:

Trivers 06-20-2016 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghak99 (Post 12283649)
Made my first 80% lower order.

Is 4 enough to cure the curiosity? :rockon:

Nah!

Gun building is a disease for which there is no cure. :)

Getting ready to build another with my 80 year old Dad.

Delaney37 06-20-2016 04:25 PM

Well after reading all the posts from all of you AR aficionados and with the current AR media circus, I popped my AR cherry today. I bought the last Ruger AR 556 Academy Sports had in stock here in Topeka. It was being held for another guy but he didn't pass his background check so it's all mine. I know it's a basic AR and it's what I was looking for to cut my AR teeth on. Can't wait to shoot it now :D

Easy 6 06-20-2016 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumppy (Post 12283271)

I have read in many places that an AR in .308 is a much better deer hunting setup, a bigger round... but of course the price goes up

Munson 06-20-2016 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delaney37 (Post 12283740)
Well after reading all the posts from all of you AR aficionados and with the current AR media circus, I popped my AR cherry today. I bought the last Ruger AR 556 Academy Sports had in stock here in Topeka. It was being held for another guy but he didn't pass his background check so it's all mine. I know it's a basic AR and it's what I was looking for to cut my AR teeth on. Can't wait to shoot it now :D

Congrats! Now don't forget to buy plenty of ammo and mags to go along with it.

Easy 6 06-20-2016 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munson (Post 12283765)
Congrats! Now don't forget to buy plenty of ammo and mags to go along with it.

He better be careful about developing "temporary ptsd", or possibly "bruising his shoulder" with the elephant gun like recoil of an AR...

rockymtnchief 06-20-2016 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 12283769)
He better be careful about developing "temporary ptsd", or possibly "bruising his shoulder" with the elephant gun like recoil of an AR...

:clap: And wear a helmet. Those shell casings flying by your face are damn scary!:D

notorious 06-20-2016 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delaney37 (Post 12283740)

http://media.giphy.com/media/mbNF0QlmkXx6w/giphy.gif