ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto DIY - Anyone ever wrap your automobile interior trim? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=315855)

loochy 06-18-2018 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 13597220)
Just be careful with the heat gun. You can overheat it, cause it to become TOO pliable, and tear it. Honestly, a hair dryer is sufficient. On my heat gun i just used the lowest setting.

and wear some cloth gloves.. After working with the heat gun all day your fingertips will get very dried out and peely.
Posted via Mobile Device

Simply Red 06-18-2018 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 13597226)
Pic of carbon and brushed aluminum

oh nice - I will try to post before and after photos. I'm still a month from beginning - as I just dropped $1,200 on body paint - I got my carbon fiber vents painted black - as well as the lip and hood - the hood was already black but started showing minor stress - so got everything done at once - the vents on the hood and the lip were both woven CF in a charcoal color - now it will be all black - it's not ready yet - I'm car-less still for most of this week. :(

Strongside 06-18-2018 10:56 AM

Did this on my BMW M3 a few years back before I sold it. My brother runs a signage shop and does vehicle wraps including trim and paint replacements. He used carbon fiber vinyl on mine and it looked pretty incredible. Impossible to distinguish from the real thing.

Al Bundy 06-18-2018 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 13597201)
https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/...-for-print.pdf

Most recently ive used the Brushed Black Metallic. Looks killer. Doesn't look good with the clear though lol.

I like that Satin Key West... but it would not go with the red on my Malibu.

Simply Red 06-18-2018 10:57 AM

loochy did you do you console?

Simply Red 06-18-2018 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongside (Post 13597234)
Did this on my BMW M3 a few years back before I sold it. My brother runs a signage shop and does vehicle wraps including trim and paint replacements. He used carbon fiber vinyl on mine and it looked pretty incredible. Impossible to distinguish from the real thing.

well that's good - that's what I own - an e92 coupe

Simply Red 06-18-2018 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongside (Post 13597234)

I'll be honest - I'm EASILY the most concerned w/ the steering wheel trim as well as the console. I did see you can remove that round knob - i-drive or whatever it's called. That's good to see. but still - the disassembly won't be fun - same w/ the wheel - I'll have to remove the airbag.

MIAdragon 06-18-2018 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13597241)
I'll be honest - I'm EASILY the most concerned w/ the steering wheel trip as well as the console. I did see you can remove that round knob - i-drive or whatever it's called. That's good to see. but still - the disassembly won't be fun - same w/ the wheel - I'll have to remove the airbag.

For 8-900 you can have actual carbon/clear over factory parts done. You have a nice car, don’t half ass it.

Al Bundy 06-18-2018 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13597237)

I did the bowties on my Malibu with the 3M. Turned out great.

Simply Red 06-18-2018 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Bundy (Post 13597253)
I did the bowties on my Malibu with the 3M. Turned out great.

nice

loochy 06-18-2018 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13597237)

Yes, I did the console (CF), console bezel (brushed aluminum), gear shift surround (CF), gear shift surround insert (brushed aluminum), the gear shift top knob (brushed aluminum), door trim (CF), glove box trim (CF), glove box button (brushed aluminum), and rear diffuser (CF)
Posted via Mobile Device

Beef Supreme 06-18-2018 11:47 AM

https://media.giphy.com/media/BW53blJg35YOI/giphy.gif

Simply Red 06-18-2018 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 13597330)
Yes, I did the console (CF), console bezel (brushed aluminum), gear shift surround (CF), gear shift surround insert (brushed aluminum), the gear shift top knob (brushed aluminum), door trim (CF), glove box trim (CF), glove box button (brushed aluminum), and rear diffuser (CF)
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh I see - so you did more than the simple trim - you did a lot of the body of the interior too?

Simply Red 06-18-2018 11:56 AM

also - was the console a nightmare?

loochy 06-18-2018 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13597357)
Oh I see - so you did more than the simple trim - you did a lot of the body of the interior too?

I covered everything that was fake woodgrain or plain black plastic.

The console was only hard because I had to take it off and I wasn't sure where all of the screws were. The way it was made let me be able to do the wrap in separate pieces with hidden seams, so my stretching and bending were kept to a minimum there.
Posted via Mobile Device