ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Fellow Cord-cutters...What is your setup? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=304871)

DaFace 01-15-2017 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Pagan (Post 12684777)
So I'm really out of touch about how all these different systems are set up. For the playstation streaming through a desktop, is there a way to use a remote to fast forward through commercials? Is there anyway to do something like a 30 second advance with one button or one mouse click?

It's a weird naming thing that is confusing. Playstation Vue is run by Sony, but you don't need to have a Playstation to use it. The interface just depends on what device you're viewing it through (e.g., Roku, desktop computer, Fire TV, etc.).

The Franchise 01-15-2017 01:53 PM

Can you fast forward? Is it like regular cable in that it's on at a static time or is it more on demand? Any way to DVR anything?

Stewie 01-28-2017 03:00 PM

OTA antenna with a Tablo, so I record a shitload of stuff from broadcast TV. Tablo is the best investment I've made.

I have free Google Fiber until 2023. $300 to install and free for seven years. They say it takes 5 Mbps for HDTV and I say bullshit. I stream HDTV all the time and it MAY max out at 2.5Mbps. Of course, Google Fiber is a pure signal so there is no data packet loss which is a problem with other providers.

Roku 3 on my primary TV and I just bought a Roku TV to replace my old TV in the bedroom.

What I like about Roku is the simple casting option from my phone. It's amazing that it can stream a great picture from Google fiber, to my phone, back through my router and to Roku. I'm sure I can find Royals games using this technique.

Since I just bought my Roku TV I have 2 months free of every option for streaming video. So far, I like Hulu with Netflix in a close 2nd. We'll see how things change by the end of March.

KChiefs1 01-29-2017 11:37 AM

OTA - ABC,CBS,NBC,FOX,PBS,MeTV,etc...

Amazon Fire TV - everything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ILChief 07-15-2017 07:48 AM

OK, Our Directv bill is $120/month before Sunday ticket. I've been with them for 15 years. we originally payed like 60 per month for an equivalent package. Their HD/DVR/per receiver fees are ridiculous.

I just signed up for the PS Vue trial. So far so good. I have a FireStick loaded w/ Kodi etc. My question for the OP or anyone else, how are you getting sporting event streams to play on Kodi? I tried MLB games last night and every stream I tried gave a generic error or did nothing. I tried all kinds of different add-ons (SportsDevil, WiseGuys, ProSports, etc). What add ons work for sports (mainly MLB, NFL, Boxing/WWE PPVs)?

I can't seem to get any of them to play.

TinyEvel 07-15-2017 03:52 PM

Where's Guru? I was sure he'd have this thread on alerts.

ILChief 07-17-2017 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmahurin (Post 12659372)
Fire tv and fire stick with kodi and netflix. Can watch everything I want. Nothing else needed. Been cable free for over a year and will never go back.

What Kodi add one are you using for sports? Everything I try gets a web request error or steam not available

kepp 11-23-2017 12:49 PM

So I've been using Rokus for a while now, but now that my Roku stick just died, I want to see if there is a better option. Amazon Firestick? Chromecast? How do they compare to the Roku stick?

kepp 11-23-2017 01:01 PM

So it looks like the only one that can be powered by the TV's own USB port is the Roku stick. That may be the deciding factor for me.

aturnis 11-24-2017 03:16 PM

Don't want another thing plugged in/another cord or?

The Franchise 11-24-2017 03:26 PM

Looks like my contract is up in September with DirectTV. Not sure I’ll be renewing with them.

I know I asked earlier in this thread but anyone still have Playstation Vue?

Fire Me Boy! 11-24-2017 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 13235464)
Looks like my contract is up in September with DirectTV. Not sure I’ll be renewing with them.

I know I asked earlier in this thread but anyone still have Playstation Vue?

No comment about Vue, but here's what I did this past fall with DTV. For the first time ever, I wasn't bluffing them. I told them what it would take to keep me - I wanted my $150+/month bill down to $75 or lower without sacrificing any of my lineup, and I wanted Sunday Ticket at no cost. When I called, I told the CSR I wanted to cancel service, so they sent me to retention. I went back and forth with them for 15-20 minutes; every time they'd put me on hold and come back with a better offer, more discounts, etc. but they couldn't get where I wanted to be - I was up front with them about what I wanted to stay. When they didn't meet it, I set up a cancellation date about 1 month out (my renewal was only 2 days away, which wasn't enough time for me to set up something else). The next day, I got a call from DTV wanting to get me back, and straight out of the gate they gave me enough discounts to get my monthly bill down to about $60/month for the entire year, Sunday Ticket at no cost, and offered a $200 Visa gift card.

tl;dr: I'm still a DTV customer, but it took me actually trying to quit to get it.

The Franchise 11-24-2017 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 13235471)
No comment about Vue, but here's what I did this past fall with DTV. For the first time ever, I wasn't bluffing them. I told them what it would take to keep me - I wanted my $150+/month bill down to $75 or lower without sacrificing any of my lineup, and I wanted Sunday Ticket at no cost. When I called, I told the CSR I wanted to cancel service, so they sent me to retention. I went back and forth with them for 15-20 minutes; every time they'd put me on hold and come back with a better offer, more discounts, etc. but they couldn't get where I wanted to be - I was up front with them about what I wanted to stay. When they didn't meet it, I set up a cancellation date about 1 month out (my renewal was only 2 days away, which wasn't enough time for me to set up something else). The next day, I got a call from DTV wanting to get me back, and straight out of the gate they gave me enough discounts to get my monthly bill down to about $60/month for the entire year, Sunday Ticket at no cost, and offered a $200 Visa gift card.

tl;dr: I'm still a DTV customer, but it took me actually trying to quit to get it.

Yeah, I’m sure that I could probably get them down to a lower price. I’m just kind of fed up with cable/satellite TV as a whole. Our bill is only $115 a month and I usually get Sunday ticket for super cheap each year.

My kids and wife just usually end up watching Netflix instead of regular TV and I can get Vue for like $39.99 a month and it covers most of the channels they want to watch anyways.

The only thing I’ll have to figure out is Sunday ticket but I’m pretty sure I can get that at full price if I really want it. Either that or I can stream it and see if that works.

DaFace 11-24-2017 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kepp (Post 13234360)
So I've been using Rokus for a while now, but now that my Roku stick just died, I want to see if there is a better option. Amazon Firestick? Chromecast? How do they compare to the Roku stick?

It's all somewhat subjective, but I think the Roku's are the most versatile out there, especially since they aren't linked to any particular ecosystem.

That said, I personally use both a Roku and Chromecast. The latter works better for YouTube for me and is good for random screen mirroring here and there, but otherwise I like the Roku best.

TambaBerry 11-24-2017 10:41 PM

I have playstation vue and have had no issues with it. They even have all local channels on it now.