ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Mad Men (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=231096)

BigRedChief 05-25-2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9702841)
I wasn't particularly enamored with either of the last two episodes.

I thought the first one was way too dark and the 2nd one was way too light. Mad Men works best when it does both.

But, like the others I did like the meth episode.

OnTheWarpath15 05-29-2013 02:21 PM

Anyone catch the Sharon Tate implication with Megan on the balcony?

The wailing sirens several times in the episode that were much louder than just "background noise"?

I have a feeling Megan is going to die in the next season or so.

SLAG 05-29-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 9716832)

The wailing sirens several times in the episode that were much louder than just "background noise"?

I thought they were just implying that Peggy was driving by Don's at that same moment - maybe not

I did enjoy watching Betty and Don Back together I miss those early days

Baby Lee 05-29-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 9716832)

http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-l...n-drape,98363/

Discussion of this, with several links to related discussions.

Though the upshot appears to be that Weiner was looking more to suggest a dawning political activism in Megan more than a direct comparison to Tate.

OnTheWarpath15 05-29-2013 05:30 PM

I meant this:

http://cdn.uproxx.com/wp-content/upl...9833332520.png

Baby Lee 05-29-2013 09:14 PM

Info for the Bob Benson smell-o-meter

He brought the meat platter to the wake of Roger's mother because it was so welcome at his father's funeral

He subsequently recommended the nurse to Pete because he had restored his father's health.

DaneMcCloud 05-29-2013 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLAG (Post 9716973)
I thought they were just implying that Peggy was driving by Don's at that same moment - maybe not

Police sirens are the sound of Manhattan, even to this day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLAG (Post 9716973)
I did enjoy watching Betty and Don Back together I miss those early days

The most important aspect of their encounter is that Betty has clearly figured out Don and moved on. I thought it was brilliant the way she turned the tables on him by mentioning Megan and her subsequent comments about her naivete.

Less important was the "reveal" that Don Draper doesn't view sex with anyone as intimate or special. Weiner is really driving home the fact that Don was emotionally damaged by growing up in a whorehouse, as if showing us that he grew up in a whorehouse (and more importantly, his actions since Season One) weren't enough.

DJ's left nut 06-03-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9718175)
Less important was the "reveal" that Don Draper doesn't view sex with anyone as intimate or special. Weiner is really driving home the fact that Don was emotionally damaged by growing up in a whorehouse, as if showing us that he grew up in a whorehouse (and more importantly, his actions since Season One) weren't enough.

He hasn't spent a lot of time talking down to his audience over the years.

But over the last few weeks, I sure do feel like he's decided that we're all idiots.

No shit, Matt. We get it. Most of us got it 3 years ago.

DaneMcCloud 06-03-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9727148)
He hasn't spent a lot of time talking down to his audience over the years.

But over the last few weeks, I sure do feel like he's decided that we're all idiots.

No shit, Matt. We get it. Most of us got it 3 years ago.

Last night's episode felt like "filler" to me. The most important aspect (Joan) could have been in another episode, as it took very little screen time. The rest was completely unnecessary and once again, how many times do we have to see Don's conscience take over? It was like a "refresher" or something.

As great as the Soprano's was, Mad Men seems to be following in the footsteps of "One Too Many Seasons". Chase could have killed Tony a season earlier and achieved the same artistry (if not less drawn out).

That said, it sure seems like Weiner's setting up a shocking death before the season's over. My money's on Megan, although it wouldn't be surprising if Henry, Pete or even Betty bite it.

Pitt Gorilla 06-03-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9727314)
Last night's episode felt like "filler" to me. The most important aspect (Joan) could have been in another episode, as it took very little screen time. The rest was completely unnecessary and once again, how many times do we have to see Don's conscience take over? It was like a "refresher" or something.

As great as the Soprano's was, Mad Men seems to be following in the footsteps of "One Too Many Seasons". Chase could have killed Tony a season earlier and achieved the same artistry (if not less drawn out).

That said, it sure seems like Weiner's setting up a shocking death before the season's over. My money's on Megan, although it wouldn't be surprising if Henry, Pete or even Betty bite it.

Pete just about has to go, but that could be misdirection.

OnTheWarpath15 06-03-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9727314)

I said Megan last week, but my darkhorse is Ginsberg.

jiveturkey 06-05-2013 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 9718155)

He brought the meat platter to the wake of Roger's mother because it was so welcome at his father's funeral

He subsequently recommended the nurse to Pete because he had restored his father's health.

What's up with Bob? I get the feeling that he's the key in something big down the road.

Thig Lyfe 06-05-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

WHOA

Buck 06-05-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Nice catch. I wonder who he's spying for.

underEJ 06-05-2013 02:35 PM

I love the Bob Benson theories! I was convinced I was crazy at first, thinking I was just prejudiced against a "nice" guy, but there is surely something there. My favorites are 'Bob is the real Bobby 1' and 'Bob is a federal agent.' Not that I think either is the likely story outcome, I just like them. Honorable mention goes to 'Sal's revenge seeking boyfriend.'

This show is full of theory fun.