ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Mad Men (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=231096)

Reaper16 05-10-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9672307)
Best episode since "Shut the door, have a seat"

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9672435)
Yeah, this was an excellent episode that really paid off, big time. It's probably the best epi since season three.

How quickly y'all forget about "The Suitcase."

keg in kc 05-10-2013 01:42 PM

Looks like I'm in the minority on this one. I finally watched it late last night, and while a lot happened, I thought the pacing of the episode was all over the place.

DaneMcCloud 05-10-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 9673485)
How quickly y'all forget about "The Suitcase."

Yes, that was a great episode!

But wow, "For Immediate Release" was to me, so amazing on so many different levels. I'm most looking forward to Peggy & Don working together again because their dynamic was so interesting to me.

DJ's left nut 05-10-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9673471)
The Camaro was Chevy's answer to the Mustang. The Vega was a sub-compact car that came in several versions (we had the station wagon back in the early 70's).

It was considered "cutting edge" because it had an inline 4 and an aluminum engine block to go with an aluminum body. They sold in record numbers but weren't worth a crap. They rusted like crazy, had tons of mechanical problems and ended up being garbage cars.

By 1976, Chevy will have fired Don and crew...

We probably won't see that, but I'd imagine we'll see some of the bounce that comes from the buildup/unveiling of the Vega. By all accounts, the thing really did explode onto the scene.

But when it just flat started to explode, no amount of PR work could save Chevy's reputation for building awful small cars. Hell, it pretty much destroyed America's reputation when it came to compacts/sub-compacts.

DraperCo would have been the first agency to take the fall for it when sales plummeted and public opinion swayed.

DaneMcCloud 05-10-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9673619)
By 1976, Chevy will have fired Don and crew...

Or Don dumps Chevy at some point, like he did with Jaguar.

DJ's left nut 05-10-2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9673623)
Or Don dumps Chevy at some point, like he did with Jaguar.

I know we're talking about Don Draper here, but c'mon - who fires Chevy?

DaneMcCloud 05-10-2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9673648)
I know we're talking about Don Draper here, but c'mon - who fires Chevy?

A smart agency that's stuck with an inferior and dangerous product.

Buck 05-19-2013 10:31 PM

What a strange episode.

Demonpenz 05-19-2013 10:32 PM

hated that episode. Ken tapdancing?

siberian khatru 05-20-2013 07:16 AM

I expected that episode to end with a snowglobe on Bobby's desk.

Buck 05-20-2013 10:59 AM

Yeah probably worst episode to date.

DaneMcCloud 05-20-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9694118)
Yeah probably worst episode to date.

And I think it's one of the best to date.

:D

Don grew up in a whorehouse, surrounds himself with whores and doesn't yet realize that he, too, is a whore.

Oh, and Sylvia looks and sounds nearly identical to his whore "mother". Coincidence?

Buck 05-20-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9694186)
And I think it's one of the best to date.

:D

Don's grew up in a whorehouse, surrounds himself with whores and doesn't yet realize that he, too, is a whore.

Oh, and Sylvia looks and sounds nearly identical to his whore "mother". Coincidence?

They didn't have to have the entire office trip on drugs for Son to come to that realization.

DaneMcCloud 05-20-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9694192)
They didn't have to have the entire office trip on drugs for Son to come to that realization.

I don't think that Don ever reached that realization.

I thought it was very interesting and telling, especially Sylvia's treatment of Don: "I'm not afraid of my husband, I'm afraid of you". Also, the parallel of Sylvia and Don's step-mother, the soup from the whore, Sally dressing like a street-corner whore, etc. and so on.

Stan finally made a move on Peggy, only to bang Fred's daughter (Fred, in front of Don, was canonized by Ted). Ken's "Song and Dance" routine was right on the money, as he's been complaining about his role for quite some time.

All in all, it was a very good episode that's probably worth multiple viewings.

bowener 05-20-2013 12:11 PM

While watching the episode I must admit I was a bit turned off, but after reflection I think I really liked that episode. I do not know where it ranks all time, but I liked it. Revelations of Don's past make clear to the viewer why he is what he is, but he still hasn't made the connection, and will probably forever remain on his path jumping from one bed to another. I am enjoying how Peggy is turning into one of the "men" around the office by doing just what all of her bosses have done, **** around on their loved ones.

Overall the title of the episode was quite apt, this was a massive wreck, and none of could look away. We just rubbernecked and shuttered at the carnage.