ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   In Memoriam (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Good news [Lonewolf Ed] (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=290171)

kchero 05-09-2017 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatbronco (Post 12854969)
I'm not a fan of the Chiefs, but I'm a classic lurker and responded to a different thread so I felt I should respond to this one because it was a reason I kept coming back for so long. I never knew Ed or replied to any of his posts, but they were impactful to me in so many ways. His strength and total honesty was a vivid reminder to appreciate everything a little more. RIP and we can all remember the life lesson of dignity and what it means to live a full life. I would have been proud to buy that man a beer anywhere in Europe.

:thumb:

DarronS 05-10-2017 05:13 PM

Thank you everyone, from Lonewolf Ed's brother

I spent most of the afternoon skimming this thread, especially the posts since January of this year. I shed a few tears at some of the posts, but reading everyone's words of encouragement and their stories of Ed being an inspiration was cathartic for me. I was with Ed when he got the diagnosis of the colon cancer spreading to his liver, and have spent a lot of time since then at our parent's house helping as I could. The last few months were the worst for Ed, and especially the last two weeks, but he did pass away peacefully at least.

Just to let y'all know, I am a long-time Chiefs fan. Our father had season tickets back in the AFL days so I was at a lot of classic games, including the heartbreaking playoff loss to the Dolphins in double overtime. Ed and Dad had season tickets at Arrowhead Stadium and I got to go to a few of those games with Ed.

My son and I are heading to Denmark in late August to spread Ed's ashes per his wishes, and leave most of them in a box at the Irish House in Aalborg.

If any of you make it to the Irish House do us a favor. Order a cheeseburger (they are excellent) and ask for George's Irish Mustard on it. I suggest doing this before you tell Jerome that Ed sent you. Jerome doesn't serve mustard so Ed always brought his own. If you tell him Ed sent you before asking for the mustard don't be surprised if Jerome curses you out.

scho63 05-10-2017 05:30 PM

Thank you so much Darron for letting everyone know as we all had a lot of respect for Ed as you can tell.

Sweet Daddy Hate 05-10-2017 06:27 PM

Thank you, Darron. Ed was one of the most unique and inspiring souls I ever had the pleasure of knowing. We miss him every day.

GloryDayz 05-10-2017 08:29 PM

As has been said, thanks Darron. Your brother will be missed, God called home one of his best.

Buehler445 05-10-2017 08:31 PM

Thanks for the update Darron. Much appreciated. Your brother had quite an impact on many here. Myself included.

Eleazar 05-11-2017 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarronS (Post 12866938)
I spent most of the afternoon skimming this thread, especially the posts since January of this year. I shed a few tears at some of the posts, but reading everyone's words of encouragement and their stories of Ed being an inspiration was cathartic for me. I was with Ed when he got the diagnosis of the colon cancer spreading to his liver, and have spent a lot of time since then at our parent's house helping as I could. The last few months were the worst for Ed, and especially the last two weeks, but he did pass away peacefully at least.

Just to let y'all know, I am a long-time Chiefs fan. Our father had season tickets back in the AFL days so I was at a lot of classic games, including the heartbreaking playoff loss to the Dolphins in double overtime. Ed and Dad had season tickets at Arrowhead Stadium and I got to go to a few of those games with Ed.

My son and I are heading to Denmark in late August to spread Ed's ashes per his wishes, and leave most of them in a box at the Irish House in Aalborg.

If any of you make it to the Irish House do us a favor. Order a cheeseburger (they are excellent) and ask for George's Irish Mustard on it. I suggest doing this before you tell Jerome that Ed sent you. Jerome doesn't serve mustard so Ed always brought his own. If you tell him Ed sent you before asking for the mustard don't be surprised if Jerome curses you out.

That's a great story, Darron. Know that your brother made an impact here and was truly loved and is truly missed by all of us.

IA_Chiefs_fan 05-11-2017 07:31 AM

Your brother made me a better man, Darron. He is missed. Thank you for stopping by the planet.

Simply Red 05-11-2017 07:59 PM

Quote:

Well wishes to you sir, and you stay strong for all. He was one of the nicest people I've met on here - who genuinely 'cared' for others - even though it was over the internet. We got close early on in his CP posts. He will always be remembered by me. God bless you Darron. - Ryan

Easy 6 05-13-2017 12:01 AM

Darron, while Ed and I never met in person, we had many a jovial phone conversation and he even sent me a dvd of his second to last Denmark trip... watched it again just a few days after he passed

And I cannot tell you just how much of an impression Ed made on me... humility, humor, common decency, courage

He was a better man than I, no question about it

I only hope you and the rest of his family are at peace, because I KNOW Fast Eddie is... his Christian faith never, ever wavered

A more decent man I'll never meet, Ed was an absolute sweetheart

Dante84 05-16-2017 04:17 PM

We'd love to have you hang around, if you feel so inclined.

Thanks for stopping by!

rabblerouser 05-23-2017 06:35 AM

Quote:

Hey Darron,
Thank you for sharing this. I got a chuckle at the George's Irish Mustard bit.

I'm so sorry for your loss,
Jeremy

DarronS 05-23-2017 06:54 PM

Thanks everyone. Your support means a lot to me, and it did Ed a world of good while he battled cancer.

A bit of background on the George's Irish Mustard. The second time Ed went to the Irish House Jerome welcomed him by saying "Hi Dave. How ya doing? Ed stood there with a blank look on his face and Jerome hung his head and said, "Your name isn't Dave, is it?" From then on Ed and I called him George.

The Irish apparently do not serve mustard, hence the reason Ed brought his own. Ed still asked for mustard every time he ordered a cheeseburger, and George always replied, "Mustard is fooking English. We Irish don't use it."

I'll probably stick around here and post on various threads. Doubt if I'll run up a high post count but I've been a Chiefs fan almost all my life, and living in Bronco Land I need to correspond with kindred fans.

Gadzooks 05-23-2017 08:56 PM

Welcome aboard Darron.:thumb:

GloryDayz 05-23-2017 08:58 PM

Indeed, welcome aboard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Sweet Daddy Hate 05-23-2017 10:10 PM

Excellent, Darron. Stick around!

RippedmyFlesh 05-24-2017 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarronS (Post 12887070)
Doubt if I'll run up a high post count but I've been a Chiefs fan almost all my life, and living in Bronco Land I need to correspond with kindred fans.

Sorry for your loss.
There is no better place to vent your donkey hate than here.
Welcome to the land of hard core chiefs fans, a sprinkling of rival fans and a couple of alex smith fans.

DarronS 05-24-2017 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RippedmyFlesh (Post 12887959)
Sorry for your loss.
There is no better place to vent your donkey hate than here.
Welcome to the land of hard core chiefs fans, a sprinkling of rival fans and a couple of alex smith fans.

Yeah, some people prefer to revel in false hope than face reality.

Simply Red 05-26-2017 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarronS (Post 12888556)
Yeah, some people prefer to revel in false hope than face reality.

you seem nice.

jdubya 06-04-2017 10:05 PM

I dont have many posts in here but this thread has been very inspiring. I was dx with throat cancer last October, radical neck dissection and 6 weeks of getting shot in the face with radiation and my future is looking fine. Treatment has not been pleasant but the prognosis is near curable. The strength Ed showed was a great inspiration for me and still is. I`ve met many inspiring folks with cancer this last half year but Ed is tops in my book. I would have been proud to meet him. Thanks DarronS for your input as well.

DarronS 06-05-2017 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 12891166)
you seem nice.

I didn't say that. Please edit your post with the correction attribution.

srvy 06-05-2017 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdubya (Post 12902343)
I dont have many posts in here but this thread has been very inspiring. I was dx with throat cancer last October, radical neck dissection and 6 weeks of getting shot in the face with radiation and my future is looking fine. Treatment has not been pleasant but the prognosis is near curable. The strength Ed showed was a great inspiration for me and still is. I`ve met many inspiring folks with cancer this last half year but Ed is tops in my book. I would have been proud to meet him. Thanks DarronS for your input as well.

Ed was top notch just the best and we all miss him.

You wouldnt happen to be Bill Snyder?

jdubya 06-05-2017 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 12903204)
Ed was top notch just the best and we all miss him.

You wouldnt happen to be Bill Snyder?

No sir. My intitials are "JW"...... thus my handle ;)

srvy 06-05-2017 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdubya (Post 12903462)
No sir. My intitials are "JW"...... thus my handle ;)

Just checking

lewdog 06-05-2017 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdubya (Post 12902343)

Just curious but where was your cancer specifically?

Have you gotten back to eating full time?

jdubya 06-05-2017 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 12903864)
Just curious but where was your cancer specifically?

Have you gotten back to eating full time?

Felt 2 bumps under my jaw where the lymph nodes are. kinda like a shelled peanut under the skin. They were fluid filled cysts inside the lymph nodes. Biopsy said fluid was clear but cyst tissue was squamous carcinoma. They did radical neck dissection and removed many lymph nodes and then they used robotics and expecting more cancer to be at the base of tongue and tonsil area, they took tissues from those areas but no cancer was found. (to their surprise). Radiation soon followed and ended about 5 months ago. Today I`m transitioning to solid food but Im still about 2/3rds liquid diet. I`m getting alot of my taste buds back but have almost no saliva to swallow solid foods. I need to sip water or milk with every bite I take of anything solid. A little while ago I ate a handful of peanuts and chewed and chewed and chewed....then I blew out a cloud of peanut dust in the air lol. Doctors say most folks have up to a 9 month window post radiation of getting taste buds and saliva glands back. After 9 months, they say basically that is all I`m likely to get back. I`m grateful I have a few more months to go before the window closes.

lewdog 06-06-2017 06:12 PM

Get jdubya in the green you assholes!!!

DarronS 06-07-2017 10:28 PM

I'm sorry to hear you're going through this, jdubya. At least it sounds like you'll probably beat this. Keep working and never give up.

jdubya 06-08-2017 06:55 PM

Thanks all for the kind words but I`ll say no more as this is about Ed and the solid man he seemed to be. My stuff is cake compared to so many others. I am lucky...

RobBlake 06-11-2017 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdubya (Post 12908689)
Thanks all for the kind words but I`ll say no more as this is about Ed and the solid man he seemed to be. My stuff is cake compared to so many others. I am lucky...

Your mind is the most powerful medicine. Stay strong