ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs No Chris Jones at OTA's. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=323044)

Bump 07-15-2019 03:29 PM

They probably don't wanna drop another $100m on the d-line

Jerok 07-15-2019 03:43 PM

I still think we play him this year and then trade him

staylor26 07-15-2019 03:47 PM

Andy said it himself, interior pressure is the best way to get to the QB these days.

Jones isn’t going anywhere.

ThyKingdomCome15 07-15-2019 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerok (Post 14349197)
I still think we play him this year and then trade him

Agree. They seem to have made their choice with Clark. There were murmurings that Jones and KC were talking and then the Frank Clark trade happened. They straight up gave Clark the contract Jones wanted. I know I was stunned. I have no idea what Jones could have been thinking. Now KC is playing hardball. Kinda confusing if they were looking to sign him. Not sure how they can pay both.

Hoover 07-15-2019 04:14 PM

I don't blame Veach & Co for their position. We are more than willing to extend the guy and pay him, but if he's looking to be paid like Donald then suit up and play this year and get paid next year.

As much as I love Jones, I don't think he's in the power position, now next year that all changes.

suzzer99 07-15-2019 04:25 PM

Nobody gets tagged twice unless it's an openly hostile situation like the Steelers and Bell. I don't think the Chiefs want a distraction like that in Mahomes' prime.

So this year + 1 franchise tag as the team's leverage seems a lot more realistic.

Jones would have to dominate both years with little injuries and no signs of slowing down to get Aaron Donald money from us or someone else. That would seem to be a lot of leverage to settle for say 80% of Donald money now - if that's close to what the team is offering.

RunKC 07-15-2019 04:26 PM

Clark is an elite caliber player, but Jones is better. It’s damn hard to find a player like Chris Jones. There’s really only 3 other guys who are capable of doing what Jones does in the interior...Donald, Cox and Reed.

Pay the dude now bc it’s only going to get worse. Getting Jones now will look like a discount compared to another year like he had last season.

ThyKingdomCome15 07-15-2019 04:27 PM

Veach said he wants really tenacious players like Honey Badger and Clark. Is there any chance at all Jones doesnt fit that mold quite as well? All I know is when Veah is sold on a player he's really aggressive and acts fast. That is not what's happening here, obviously.

Hog's Gone Fishin 07-15-2019 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThyKingdomCome15 (Post 14349281)
Veach said he wants really tenacious players like Honey Badger and Clark. Is there any chance at all Jones doesnt fit that mold quite as well? All I know is when Veah is sold on a player he's really aggressive and acts fast. That is not what's happening here, obviously.

Maybe they're just waiting for a decision on hill because they need to extend him too.

ThyKingdomCome15 07-15-2019 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThyKingdomCome15 (Post 14349220)
Agree. They seem to have made their choice with Clark. There were murmurings that Jones and KC were talking and then the Frank Clark trade happened. They straight up gave Clark the contract Jones wanted. I know I was stunned. I have no idea what Jones could have been thinking. Now KC is playing hardball. Kinda confusing if they were looking to sign him. Not sure how they can pay both.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin (Post 14349286)
Maybe they're just waiting for a decision on hill because they need to extend him too.

That's a great point. Gotta see how much its gonna cost to keep Hill before they know where they are at with Jones. Hill without question is a bigger key to this teams success therefore they're willing to wait. Good stuff.

TribalElder 07-15-2019 04:46 PM

Was hoping Jones would get this straightened out

However the chiefs traded for Clark and probably don’t want to pay anyone from that historically awful defense that was last years chiefs D

O.city 07-15-2019 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 14349277)
Clark is an elite caliber player, but Jones is better. It’s damn hard to find a player like Chris Jones. There’s really only 3 other guys who are capable of doing what Jones does in the interior...Donald, Cox and Reed.

Pay the dude now bc it’s only going to get worse. Getting Jones now will look like a discount compared to another year like he had last season.

He’s a legit pass rusher for sure

I dunno that he’s on cox level in terms of complete yet maybe they wanna see him in the new defense first

Easy 6 07-15-2019 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 14349277)

That’s where I’m at on this, he needs to be the cornerstone of this defense for the next several years... he isnt some asshole like Suh, this new coaching staff can get him to temper his freelancing ways

Chief Roundup 07-15-2019 04:53 PM

If a player wants to get paid early then they have to take less. It is the way it works in the NFL with all teams. Clark wanted paid last year, didn't happen so he played out his contract and although it wasn't the Seahawks he got paid. If Jones wants Cox/Donald money he is going to have to play out this season and produce at a high level without injury.

ThyKingdomCome15 07-15-2019 04:58 PM

^That does make sense. Appreciate it.