ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Must Watch Series (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=258883)

M_M 09-06-2023 07:44 PM

Laughed out loud every episode of Sprung on amazon; but it's free with my Samsung plus channels I can login and watch as a guest; really makes fun of the "pandemic"

M_M 09-06-2023 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford (Post 17033657)
The Justified reboot has really disappointed me. Wife and I (big fans of the original) couldn't make it through the first episode. The writing is garbage and unfortunately proliferated with a bunch of woke nonsense, and Olyphant was sidelined almost the entire time.

I loved the original which is why I likely hated this 'reboot'; a friend of mine slugged it all the way through and said Boyd was in last episode; so maybe there is hope if there is another season; but it definitely needs more characters like Winona and Ava...

srvy 09-06-2023 09:44 PM

Thanks
I was going to start it tonight then kapoof net down.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

rocknrolla 09-09-2023 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M_M (Post 17089652)
Laughed out loud every episode of Sprung on amazon; but it's free with my Samsung plus channels I can login and watch as a guest; really makes fun of the "pandemic"

I love almost anything Greg Garcia does ( My name is Earl, Raising Hope & The book). Not so much Yes Dear. Martha Pimpton kills it in Raising Hope and Sprung.

M_M 09-09-2023 08:29 PM

Just watched first episode of Dark Winds; looks good

I could only watch episode 1 free on AMC app since I don't have cable; went to library and am waiting list for dvd season 1 to watch the rest.

rocknrolla 09-10-2023 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M_M (Post 17098740)
Just watched first episode of Dark Winds; looks good

I could only watch episode 1 free on AMC app since I don't have cable; went to library and am waiting list for dvd season 1 to watch the rest.

Season 1 is on MAX.

M_M 09-14-2023 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocknrolla (Post 17099108)
Season 1 is on MAX.

Thanks; got the season 1 dvd from the library and have watched first 3 episodes; still liking it!

Nirvana58 09-15-2023 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M_M (Post 17089694)
I loved the original which is why I likely hated this 'reboot'; a friend of mine slugged it all the way through and said Boyd was in last episode; so maybe there is hope if there is another season; but it definitely needs more characters like Winona and Ava...

Trying to power through since I loved the original.

But man they really try to make it hard. Couldn't understand a word the daughter was saying with her constantly using the baby voice.

Then they force a sexual relationship with Raylan and the fat old black lawyer.

Like what the hell?? He goes from Winona and Ava to that.

BigBeauford 09-15-2023 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirvana58 (Post 17109195)
Trying to power through since I loved the original.

But man they really try to make it hard. Couldn't understand a word the daughter was saying with her constantly using the baby voice.

Then they force a sexual relationship with Raylan and the fat old black lawyer.

Like what the hell?? He goes from Winona and Ava to that.

The writers for this show blew chunks. No way I made it past the first episode.

M_M 09-16-2023 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford (Post 17109218)
The writers for this show blew chunks. No way I made it past the first episode.

I stopped at episode 3 or 4; can't recall now; I kept hoping it would get better.

Nirvana58 09-21-2023 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M_M (Post 17111201)
I stopped at episode 3 or 4; can't recall now; I kept hoping it would get better.

So I actually finished it. Same complaints but the last episode wasn't too bad.

Why couldn't they have just done that this season? Would have been a million times more entertaining. Maybe they knew that this season sucked and threw out a lifeline to get a second season?

Spoiler!

sd4chiefs 10-26-2023 11:53 AM

Enjoyed watching Bodies on Netflix. It's about four London detectives, in four different time periods, find themselves investigating the same murder. The first two episodes are confusing but it gets better as it goes along.

KCUnited 11-04-2023 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sd4chiefs (Post 17190372)
Enjoyed watching Bodies on Netflix. It's about four London detectives, in four different time periods, find themselves investigating the same murder. The first two episodes are confusing but it gets better as it goes along.

Just finished Bodies last night and thought it was really well done

Its a good story that was well shot, performed and scored but most of all they crescendo'd the season in the last episode.

So many good shows seem to sputter across the finish line but Bodies nailed it. Could be due to no pressure of a second season (at least I can't think of how the could continue with the same story, so maybe a completely different story and new cast ala White Lotus). It was really really well done though imo.

kepp 11-10-2023 02:33 PM

I searched the thread and didn't see it mentioned, but I have been watching "Upload" on Prime and getting a kick out of it. There are some brilliant aspects to it. Especially if you've ever worked in online advertising/marketing.

Zebedee DuBois 11-10-2023 02:46 PM

i really enjoyed season 1 of "Upload"
Season 2 was pretty good
Season 3 - I just can't.

KCUnited 11-14-2023 01:18 PM

Watched E1 of The Curse on Showtime last night and it is...ummm interesting for lack of a better descriptor

Unique story that seems well put together with some definite WTF moments

Picking up weirder, creepier Ozarks vibes from the first episode

I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tui5vl13Gqg?si=P_48jUL88mVySdem" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BigBeauford 11-14-2023 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 17224152)
Watched E1 of The Curse on Showtime last night and it is...ummm interesting for lack of a better descriptor

Unique story that seems well put together with some definite WTF moments

Picking up weirder, creepier Ozarks vibes from the first episode

I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tui5vl13Gqg?si=P_48jUL88mVySdem" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We gave it a shot and tapped out halfway through the episode. Nathan for you was an incredible show. The Rehearsal started strong and then our interest waned as the episodes moved along. I have no idea WTF this is. Is it supposed to be a reality show or scripted? For instance, the dad of the daughter in the parking lot who put the curse on Nathan was Barkhad Abdi, the main bad dude from Captain Phillips. We might come back to it, but this feels way too scripted to be funny for my taste at the moment.

KCUnited 11-14-2023 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford (Post 17224158)
We gave it a shot and tapped out halfway through the episode. Nathan for you was an incredible show. The Rehearsal started strong and then our interest waned as the episodes moved along. I have no idea WTF this is. Is it supposed to be a reality show or scripted? For instance, the dad of the daughter in the parking lot who put the curse on Nathan was Barkhad Abdi, the main bad dude from Captain Phillips. We might come back to it, but this feels way too scripted to be funny for my taste at the moment.

Tell me you at least got to the tiny dicks part

The spoof on all these HGTV type shows had me amused enough to stay engaged so I'm curious to see where it goes which is hopefully more than just overly witty banter.

TwistedChief 11-14-2023 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 17224161)
Tell me you at least got to the tiny dicks part

The spoof on all these HGTV type shows had me amused enough to stay engaged so I'm curious to see where it goes which is hopefully more than just overly witty banter.

I thought it was a great first episode.

Felder is amazing. Emma Stone is one of the top actresses on the planet. It'll be an interesting evolution.

ChiliConCarnage 11-19-2023 01:31 PM

I watched the first season of Upload when it came out. It was light and fun. I didn't see the second season and noticed the 3rd was out recently when in the Amazon app recently.

I've been trying to get into Bodies. The premise seems neat. I think the storytelling/acting seems fine but it's been slow and hard to get into through the first few episodes

Pepe Silvia 11-19-2023 05:09 PM

Highly anticipating a new episode of The Gilded Age tonight.

BigRichard 11-20-2023 11:18 AM

Going to throw another endorsement for Upload... it seems pretty fun.

KCUnited 11-22-2023 12:09 PM

I'm 3 episodes in on A Murder at the End of the World (Hulu) and am enjoying it

Seems really well made and executed so far

HemiEd 11-23-2023 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage (Post 17230462)
I watched the first season of Upload when it came out. It was light and fun. I didn't see the second season and noticed the 3rd was out recently when in the Amazon app recently.

I've been trying to get into Bodies. The premise seems neat. I think the storytelling/acting seems fine but it's been slow and hard to get into through the first few episodes

I ended up watching the entire series of Upload. There are so many interesting twists and possibilities brought up with AI, it is fun. :thumb:

BigRichard 11-24-2023 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 17239335)
I ended up watching the entire series of Upload. There are so many interesting twists and possibilities brought up with AI, it is fun. :thumb:

I love that they make the soulless AI guy a redhead. That is absolutely hilarious. The AI guy is half the fun in the show.

Aries Walker 11-27-2023 09:41 AM

I recently watched "The Fall of the House of Usher" on Netflix.

It was amazing. Knowing a lot about Poe gave extra "Hey, I get that!" moments, but even otherwise, the buildup, the moments, the concept, and the performances were all top-notch.

Edit: Oh! Just saw the thread on this.

ChiliConCarnage 12-01-2023 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 17238374)

I kind of wish I'd waited and binged this show lol. I want to know what happens! Pretty good who dunit type with flashbacks

Buehler445 12-28-2023 03:54 PM

I watched "All the Light We Cannot See" on Netflix. I dunno if this should be in this thread or the movies thread since it's only 4 episodes. I'm sticking it here because there were notable breaks for episodes.

Anyway, onto the business. I recommend this. And normally I wouldn't. This, in improper hands would be GARBAGE. Most of it is a little too on the nose for me, but it handles it really well.

There were several components that made the thing float. Most notably were the sets. My god they were good. I'm no expert in WWII uniforms or architecture, but they really knocked it out of the park IMO.

More importantly though, the performances are good. Excellent in fact. Of the major players, any of them not bringing the heat, this thing turns into a lifetime movie.

I didn't really need any nazism in my life. But I am glad I watched this one. There are some really high brow components of this and it pulled it off pretty well without bashing you over the head with it.

tl;dr: This wouldn't normally be my gig, but it's really good and I'm glad I watched it.

KCUnited 12-28-2023 04:16 PM

Agree 100%

All the Light We Cannot See is perfectly filmed and executed (unintended)

Its really freaking good

BigRichard 12-29-2023 01:46 PM

I think it has been mentioned in here before but my wife and I are loving Peaky Blinders on Netflix. We have watched the first 4 seasons in a few weeks now. Great acting and great writing.

Buehler445 12-29-2023 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRichard (Post 17306174)
I think it has been mentioned in here before but my wife and I are loving Peaky Blinders on Netflix. We have watched the first 4 seasons in a few weeks now. Great acting and great writing.

Yeah, watch it all and then there is a movie I think. I absolutely love Peaky Blinders. I think I've watched it through 3 times.

srvy 12-29-2023 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 17305059)
I watched "All the Light We Cannot See" on Netflix. I dunno if this should be in this thread or the movies thread since it's only 4 episodes. I'm sticking it here because there were notable breaks for episodes.

Anyway, onto the business. I recommend this. And normally I wouldn't. This, in improper hands would be GARBAGE. Most of it is a little too on the nose for me, but it handles it really well.

There were several components that made the thing float. Most notably were the sets. My god they were good. I'm no expert in WWII uniforms or architecture, but they really knocked it out of the park IMO.

More importantly though, the performances are good. Excellent in fact. Of the major players, any of them not bringing the heat, this thing turns into a lifetime movie.

I didn't really need any nazism in my life. But I am glad I watched this one. There are some really high brow components of this and it pulled it off pretty well without bashing you over the head with it.

tl;dr: This wouldn't normally be my gig, but it's really good and I'm glad I watched it.

This was really good! Thanks for the recommendation.:thumb:

BigBeauford 12-30-2023 08:32 PM

We tapped out of Monarch after 4 episodes. Glacial pacing and characters who aren't compelling (especially the present tense trio).

In58men 12-30-2023 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 17305059)

Thanks for the recommendation, very good show.

The wife actually read the book.

BigRichard 01-01-2024 01:35 PM

This has me intrigued...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Rj6gQdEyGXI?si=LDgwo7v6AvqkXOZf" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Buehler445 01-01-2024 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRichard (Post 17313633)
This has me intrigued...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Rj6gQdEyGXI?si=LDgwo7v6AvqkXOZf" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It was OK. It wasn't as good as it thought it was, and certainly wasn't as high brow as it thought it was. But it was worth a watch.

mr. tegu 01-01-2024 09:00 PM

Anybody watching Bookie on HBO? Short episodes about a guy and his partner running a sports book. Mostly a comedy. It’s an easy watch and entertaining enough.

Hammock Parties 01-02-2024 02:59 PM

Watched the first episode of The Plot Against America last night.

Eagerly looking forward to Charles Lindbergh becoming American Hitler. LMAO

One thing I really appreciate about the show is it shows how Americans used to listen to radio with an amazing level of attention and then discuss it with their neighbors, sidewalk town hall style. We don't have that anymore.

Now we have youtube and twitter.

KCUnited 01-03-2024 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford (Post 17308088)
We tapped out of Monarch after 4 episodes. Glacial pacing and characters who aren't compelling (especially the present tense trio).

Confirming that you made the right decision

I made it to Godzilla and he couldn't save this steaming pile of shit

DJ's left nut 01-03-2024 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford (Post 17308088)

I'm 2 in and find the premise interesting. There's potential there.

But yeah, the pacing is roooooouuuuuuugh. I think this may be a 'watch while I'm doing something else' show and I can perk up in the moments something critical might be happening without missing much.

DJ's left nut 01-03-2024 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 17306243)
Yeah, watch it all and then there is a movie I think. I absolutely love Peaky Blinders. I think I've watched it through 3 times.

And they stuck the landing. I mean damn did they bring it home well.

The season with the Russian monarchy about lost me (season 3? Real piece of crap), but then Luca showed up and I was back in. That may have actually ended up being my favorite season though that's probably still Season 2.

In either event, gut your way through season 3 based on the goodwill of the first 2 seasons and the rest is pretty smooth sailing.

TwistedChief 01-04-2024 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 17315778)
Watched the first episode of The Plot Against America last night.

Eagerly looking forward to Charles Lindbergh becoming American Hitler. LMAO

One thing I really appreciate about the show is it shows how Americans used to listen to radio with an amazing level of attention and then discuss it with their neighbors, sidewalk town hall style. We don't have that anymore.

Now we have youtube and twitter.

Watched this during the pandemic and it was wonderful. Really enjoyed it and probably made me culturally appreciate being Jewish a bit more than I had previously.

ThaVirus 01-04-2024 01:13 PM

Definitely not CP’s demographic but I’m enjoying Atlanta

Hammock Parties 01-04-2024 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwistedChief (Post 17318271)
Watched this during the pandemic and it was wonderful. Really enjoyed it and probably made me culturally appreciate being Jewish a bit more than I had previously.

Just finished it last night. Holy shit the last episode was an absolute banger.

Spoiler!

There should really be a second and third season of that show.

I'm going to go watch this tripe to satisfy my urge ROFL

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ya8bmok9yoo" title="Fatherland VHS Release Ad (1994)" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Buehler445 01-04-2024 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 17238374)

I watched this recently also. What did you think?

I thought it was a pretty solid who dun it.

But I don't think it was as smart or clever as it thought it was. But ultimately, I didn't guess it until they bashed me over the head with it.

I think there was some social narrative (outside of the obvious climate change evil corporation shit that was overt) they were going for and didn't really hit me like they thought it would.

Moreover, I'm starting to get a little tired of the trope of an investigation being a device to tell the backstory. Whenever they'd go back to catch the serial killer, by the end I was like get ****ing to it, man. I think that bit peaked with Station Eleven. And it seemed like they were trying to hit some of those notes, but they didn't do it nearly as well as Station Eleven.

But that's pretty nitpicky. It's a good watch and there are some memorable concepts they hit on. Most notable is

Spoiler!

There were also some notes that hit hard. Darby's dealing with death was really strong acting, and

Spoiler!

So the scenery and the hotel were absolutely magnificent. But at the same time didn't seem to matter. I think we (or at least me) are getting desensitized to some really excellent filmmaking.

All in all a good watch, and good performances all the way around. I'd recommend it.

KCUnited 01-05-2024 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 17319121)
I watched this recently also. What did you think?

I thought it was a pretty solid who dun it.

But I don't think it was as smart or clever as it thought it was. But ultimately, I didn't guess it until they bashed me over the head with it.

I think there was some social narrative (outside of the obvious climate change evil corporation shit that was overt) they were going for and didn't really hit me like they thought it would.

Moreover, I'm starting to get a little tired of the trope of an investigation being a device to tell the backstory. Whenever they'd go back to catch the serial killer, by the end I was like get ****ing to it, man. I think that bit peaked with Station Eleven. And it seemed like they were trying to hit some of those notes, but they didn't do it nearly as well as Station Eleven.

But that's pretty nitpicky. It's a good watch and there are some memorable concepts they hit on. Most notable is

Spoiler!

There were also some notes that hit hard. Darby's dealing with death was really strong acting, and

Spoiler!

So the scenery and the hotel were absolutely magnificent. But at the same time didn't seem to matter. I think we (or at least me) are getting desensitized to some really excellent filmmaking.

All in all a good watch, and good performances all the way around. I'd recommend it.

I pretty much agree with you across the board

I felt the story sort of limped across the finish line after a strong start but was still a worthy watch. I'm typically a one episode at a time viewer and I went from looking forward to watching it to "oh yeah, I guess we have a Murder at the End of the World that we could watch"

Like you said though it was shot and performed well and I appreciated the use of AI to modernize a who-done-it

BigRichard 01-06-2024 04:57 AM

Peaky Blinders was great but it sounds like there is supposed to be a movie to wrap it all up.

BigRichard 01-07-2024 06:32 PM

Call me intrigued...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="zxx" dir="ltr"><a href="https://t.co/PKacQIGdfE">pic.twitter.com/PKacQIGdfE</a></p>&mdash; Apple TV (@AppleTV) <a href="https://twitter.com/AppleTV/status/1742229365272813835?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 2, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ChiefsFanatic 01-07-2024 09:33 PM

So, the Golden Globes have been clueless. Succession is absolutely great, but The Last of Us should have won

ChiefsFanatic 01-07-2024 09:49 PM

Yeah, the Globes just became a joke

mr. tegu 01-08-2024 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRichard (Post 17322607)
Call me intrigued...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="zxx" dir="ltr"><a href="https://t.co/PKacQIGdfE">pic.twitter.com/PKacQIGdfE</a></p>— Apple TV (@AppleTV) <a href="https://twitter.com/AppleTV/status/1742229365272813835?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 2, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The downside of getting in on excellent shows from the beginning. It takes forever to get more. We didn’t start watching Game of Thrones until after season 4 so not nearly as much waiting around between episodes and seasons.

Buehler445 01-08-2024 07:24 PM

I'm watching Fool Me Once on Netflix. 3 episodes in and I have NO ****ING CLUE how it's going to end up. It's a nice little who done it.

KCUnited 01-09-2024 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 17325511)
I'm watching Fool Me Once on Netflix. 3 episodes in and I have NO ****ING CLUE how it's going to end up. It's a nice little who done it.

Started it as well and my god Michelle Keegan is a smoke show

KCUnited 01-09-2024 07:10 AM

I really don't have the words to describe how I feel about The Curse

Its masterfully brilliant in the most uncomfortable way. Every moment and interaction is so painfully cringe. It the white...errr blackest of comedies

Everyone in the show is killing their role but Emma Stone is on a different level

Jerm 01-09-2024 09:32 AM

I’m super LTTP but The Americans has always been on my radar but for what ever reason I've just never got around to watching it…well I started binging this the other night and HOLY SHIT is this really good. Now granted I'm only about 12 episodes in but I can tell I'm in for a ride and I'm here for it.

I love the premise, I think the casting is spot on, the acting is great, and the writing really has drawn me in….the only real question for me is I'm wondering how they can make this go for 6 seasons. There's been some slow burn stuff granted but it seems like this show moves at a pretty feverish pace.

Buehler445 01-09-2024 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerm (Post 17326017)
I’m super LTTP but The Americans has always been on my radar but for what ever reason I've just never got around to watching it…well I started binging this the other night and HOLY SHIT is this really good. Now granted I'm only about 12 episodes in but I can tell I'm in for a ride and I'm here for it.

I love the premise, I think the casting is spot on, the acting is great, and the writing really has drawn me in….the only real question for me is I'm wondering how they can make this go for 6 seasons. There's been some slow burn stuff granted but it seems like this show moves at a pretty feverish pace.

I’m a total douche homer for the Americans. I’ve rewatched the whole thing probably 3 times. It’s awesome.

Buehler445 01-09-2024 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 17325903)
Started it as well and my god Michelle Keegan is a smoke show

Hot as the surface of the sun.

Jerm 01-09-2024 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 17326234)
I’m a total douche homer for the Americans. I’ve rewatched the whole thing probably 3 times. It’s awesome.

It's such a great premise and one where I'm watching it thinking why haven't more people done stuff in this vein...

I'm a big mark for Cold War/spy stuff so that totally helps but it's awesome so far.

TwistedChief 01-10-2024 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerm (Post 17326017)

One of the best endings of any show ever imo, so it’s completely worth the investment to take it all the way to the finish line.

TambaBerry 01-10-2024 06:46 AM

I've been watching loudermilk on Netflix. It's an older show though but I think it's hilarious

DJ's left nut 01-10-2024 08:52 AM

Just started watching Slow Horses on Apple.

British Spy show w/ really dry humor. A group of MI5 washouts who get back-burnered at 'Slough House' are the main protagonists. It has a really good cast; Gary Oldman is the chief of Slough House and Kristin Scott Thomas is a major player as well. Jonathan Pryce shows up here and there.

Very good show. Needs a little attention or you can get a bit lost, but still really strong.

Buehler445 01-10-2024 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17326498)
Just started watching Slow Horses on Apple.

British Spy show w/ really dry humor. A group of MI5 washouts who get back-burnered at 'Slough House' are the main protagonists. It has a really good cast; Gary Oldman is the chief of Slough House and Kristin Scott Thomas is a major player as well. Jonathan Pryce shows up here and there.

Very good show. Needs a little attention or you can get a bit lost, but still really strong.

I’m an absolute homer for that show. At least S1. I didn’t like S2 as much, probably because some of the intrigue was figuring out the “world”. I need to watch S3.

Buehler445 01-10-2024 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TambaBerry (Post 17326391)
I've been watching loudermilk on Netflix. It's an older show though but I think it's hilarious

Loudermilk used to be on Amazon. I watched S1 and liked it more than I thought I would - I think there is a post on here somewhere about it. I had no idea they released more seasons.

It’s been long enough I should rewatch S1 but I remember being surprised I liked it and the soundtrack was good. Thanks.

DJ's left nut 01-10-2024 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 17326537)
I’m an absolute homer for that show. At least S1. I didn’t like S2 as much, probably because some of the intrigue was figuring out the “world”. I need to watch S3.

I'm almost done with S1 and yeah, that 'intrigue' manifests itself as confusion for me about half the time.

"Wait...who the **** are 'the dogs'..."

I did turn to my wife after about the third episode and said "Hey - we might have a problem here. I'm pretty sure I agree with the baddies. Or at the very least, I don't dislike them any worse than I do MI5..."

They're a little on the nose there...

DJ's left nut 01-10-2024 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 17326542)
Loudermilk used to be on Amazon. I watched S1 and liked it more than I thought I would - I think there is a post on here somewhere about it. I had no idea they released more seasons.

It’s been long enough I should rewatch S1 but I remember being surprised I liked it and the soundtrack was good. Thanks.

Ron Livingston is just outstanding. And he's essentially playing Peter Gibbons about 10 years after Inatek and a crippling addiction.

I became a Livingston Season Ticket holder after Band of Brothers. Him, Karl Urban and Dominic Cooper - you cast any of those three and I'm watching it. They're just criminally underrated character/television actors.

KCUnited 01-10-2024 09:24 AM

Big fan of Slow Horses

Great show

TambaBerry 01-10-2024 10:07 AM

Quote:

I didn't know that, I am currently at the beginning of season 3 can't wait to finish it up. I do wonder if they closed it out or it got cancelled though.

Buehler445 01-10-2024 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TambaBerry (Post 17326631)
I didn't know that, I am currently at the beginning of season 3 can't wait to finish it up. I do wonder if they closed it out or it got cancelled though.

IMDB says Season 1 was released 2017, Season 2 was 2018, Season 3 2020. So I'm guessing it's all done.

Buehler445 01-10-2024 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17326549)
I'm almost done with S1 and yeah, that 'intrigue' manifests itself as confusion for me about half the time.

"Wait...who the **** are 'the dogs'..."

I did turn to my wife after about the third episode and said "Hey - we might have a problem here. I'm pretty sure I agree with the baddies. Or at the very least, I don't dislike them any worse than I do MI5..."

They're a little on the nose there...

That's interesting.

I thought they did a good job of keeping the nuance in there. For a fair bit of it if I'm remembering correctly, I was thinking **** Jackson Lamb - what a mother****er this douche is.

TwistedChief 01-14-2024 10:45 AM

Two good ones start tonight:

1. True Detective Night Country (Max) - only 6 episodes and reviews are that it’s the best since season 1 (which I think is the best season of any show ever). Obviously, Jodie Foster.
2. Monsieur Spade (AMC) - created by the guy who did Queen’s Gambit and starring Clive Owen.

KCUnited 01-14-2024 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwistedChief (Post 17336140)

1. True Detective Night Country (Max) - only 6 episodes and reviews are that it’s the best since season 1 (which I think is the best season of any show ever). Obviously, Jodie Foster.
2. Monsieur Spade (AMC) - created by the guy who did Queen’s Gambit and starring Clive Owen.

Monsieur Spade E1 is strong

lewdog 01-15-2024 09:26 PM

Finally a decent Fargo season after a couple of bombs.

Buehler445 01-21-2024 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TambaBerry (Post 17326391)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17326554)
Ron Livingston is just outstanding. And he's essentially playing Peter Gibbons about 10 years after Inatek and a crippling addiction.

I became a Livingston Season Ticket holder after Band of Brothers. Him, Karl Urban and Dominic Cooper - you cast any of those three and I'm watching it. They're just criminally underrated character/television actors.

Quote:

tl;dr: Watch Loudermilk.

Yeah, so after you posted this, I went ahead and binged it. So it turns out I had watched it all and didn't remember it. Which is weird, because I'm really into it.

I think it strikes a nice balance. There is some really dark and heavy shit in there. REALLY ****ing dark. They balance it out with some ridiculous and some funny stuff and sprinkle in some nice character arc.

The deep shit was disturbing. Cutter going off the reservation and never coming back - that's heavy yo. I won't lie, Mugsy falling off the wagon and breaking down in group was fairly soul crushing. A lot of times, he was a cartoon but they threw enough real stuff in there that it hit. If Mugsy was the main character of the show it would be a shit ending LOL. I recognize that's a reality of addiction, but it was still plenty heavy. And I'm glad they balanced it with some levity.

DJ is right. Livingston is great. He does the comedy well, the **** off attitude well, and does a lot without dialogue. He is fantastic in this scene. The eulogy scene was great too.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OKdKT6mKczA?si=2s1lIEKT1L7OCs7m" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SIDENOTE: That ****ing song earwormed it's way into my dome and won't get out. That gal is an actual artist. She has a bunch of stuff out there under the name Lissie. Most of it isn't my jam, but that song is really good.

Watch at your own risk...

Spoiler!

That Lizzy Poole storyline was really good and well acted by all involved. I was surprised how much I enjoyed that.

DJ's left nut 01-23-2024 03:24 PM

Anybody watch Foundation?

It's a show on Apple based on an Asimov trilogy (that eventually expanded). I noticed it had Jared Harris in a main role (from Mad Men - actually Richard Harris's son - great actor) and Lee Pace. Pace was "The Pie Maker" in a really quirky and obscure detective show/sitcom called Pushing Daisey's some years back. Neat little show - has that tiny girl that can sing in low cut shirts a lot.

In either event - I enjoy it, but it's not the easiest watch. I can't **** around on my phone and watch it at the same time. And since all television is inevitably an hour long now, it's just hard to keep my attention at a TV for an hour straight unless a football game is on.

But if you like sci-fi stuff, give it a shot. Really nice production values, good performances (supporting cast is a little weak at times but on balance solid) and since it's based on an Asimov universe, it's gonna have a good story, even if they've strayed from it quite a bit in several ways.

Ming the Merciless 01-23-2024 08:41 PM

Foundation is awesome. I agree it's not your run of the mill Sci fi. It's heady and more of a slow burn than a spoon feed.

Good reco

Pasta Little Brioni 01-26-2024 02:16 PM

Need more Loudermilk....such great and intriguing
sidecharacters

ToxSocks 01-26-2024 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwistedChief (Post 17336140)

Yes, i think the new True Detective has been pretty good so far. Interesting premise.

We're doing that whole, "30 days of night" theme in this season and so far it's working to create a real atmospheric series. I skipped season's 3 & 4. This isn't quite season 1, but i have no complaints so far.

blake5676 01-26-2024 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 17364487)
Yes, i think the new True Detective has been pretty good so far. Interesting premise.

We're doing that whole, "30 days of night" theme in this season and so far it's working to create a real atmospheric series. I skipped season's 3 & 4. This isn't quite season 1, but i have no complaints so far.

I never finished Season 2 but enjoyed Season 3. Definitely not as good as the first but nothing ever will be…it was damn near perfect.

I’m undecided on this season so far. Kinda intriguing and I like the characters at this point, but I kind of feel like they’re leaning on Season 1 too much as a crutch. I guess I will be interested to see how they tie it together, but the symbolism seems too in your face so far to me. And if I remember right, I don’t think writer or director are the same…Nick Pozz-whatever is not involved?

KCUnited 01-26-2024 09:08 PM

The Jodie Foster sex kitten thing is kind of weird

I like the mystery but it feels kind of Steven King cable adaptation ish

Hoping it improves

TwistedChief 01-26-2024 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 17364878)
The Jodie Foster sex kitten thing is kind of weird

I like the mystery but it feels kind of Steven King cable adaptation ish

Hoping it improves

There are only 6 episodes and we’re through 2. It’s been a little slow going thus far but obviously high quality production and acting. The reviews are excellent so I have to think the pace is gonna pick up shortly and it’ll be humming on Sunday when we watch it completely hammered post-AFCCG victory and don’t even remember it.