ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Must Watch Series (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=258883)

DJ's left nut 06-26-2023 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 16978299)
Can't remember if it has been discussed here, but I've been watching Shrinking and I really like it. Ford and Jessica Williams are up here throwing 100MPH the whole time. I'm not the biggest Jason Segal fan, but he's hanging in there, and it works for what they're trying to do. They're going after some godDAMN serious subject matter...with a comedy (?) and it seems to be working. So far (4 episodes in) they're doing a decent job of balancing the goofball shit with serious stuff, and delineating the two.

I admittedly wasn't expecting much, but it has me hooked. We'll see how they navigate the storylines, but I'm pretty impressed so far.

Really enjoying this as well.

And frankly, THIS is what Harrison Ford should be doing, not trying to run shotgun along angry feminists as a sidecar in his own franchise.

Ford is friggen perfect in this show. That snark that came so easily to him even when he was a matinee idol is spectacular here. The only complaint I have isn't really a complaint as much as a comment on Jason Segal - he's become Michael Cera at this point. He simply plays the same character in every role. He's playing Peter Bretter but if his wife had died instead of dumped him. Or Marshall from HIMYM if Ted realized he was Gay and Lily died in a car wreck.

But hey - it works. It's a good show. Sometimes they create drama where it wouldn't actually exist (for instance, why would Ford's daughter be THAT pissed off at him when his answer is going to be how 99% of people respond in that situation), but it's necessary for a show to exist so it is what it is.

Zebedee DuBois 06-26-2023 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16994847)
...Jason Segal - he's become Michael Cera at this point. He simply plays the same character in every role.

I do not disagree.

But the list of actors the play essentially the same character in every movie is endless, going back to John Wayne and Eastwood, and probably farther. Heck, in this one Harrison Ford is playing Indiana Jones as an aging therapist.

DJ's left nut 06-27-2023 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebedee DuBois (Post 16995254)
I do not disagree.

But the list of actors the play essentially the same character in every movie is endless, going back to John Wayne and Eastwood, and probably farther. Heck, in this one Harrison Ford is playing Indiana Jones as an aging therapist.

How DARE you, sir.

I mean how can you argue that Sean Thornton and JB Books are remotely similar characters? In Harm's Way and Brannigan are quite a bit different. Ethan Edwards vs. Rooster Cogburn. He plays a swede as the lead in a movie that was nominated for Best Picture (The Long Voyage Home). He does comedic roles - quite well actually - in Hatari and McLintock.

As John Ford once said after watching him play a heavy in Red River - "I never knew the big son of a bitch could act..."

I will not stand for this blasphemy.

Zebedee DuBois 06-27-2023 06:21 PM

Big, tough, fair, don't take no nonsense, reserved until he's forced to act.

Isn't that how he played every character?

DJ's left nut 06-28-2023 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebedee DuBois (Post 16996740)
Big, tough, fair, don't take no nonsense, reserved until he's forced to act.

Isn't that how he played every character?

Well he's a large human being so there's that. It's hard for 'big and tough' not to come into play. The guy dwarfed about any actor you put in front of him so having him play some squish (which he did for the most part in The Quiet Man because they finally found an actor as physically imposing as him to play against) wouldn't really work.

In many of his roles, (Red River and Searchers immediately jump out) 'fair' and 'reserved' ain't in the picture. In both of those he's just something of an angry lunatic. I'm not sure how to even describe him in Reap the Wild Wind but no, he's not what you're describing.

Moreover, you could say that description applies to him in both Rio Bravo and The Shootist but if you were to say that means he played the same guy in both you'd be WAY off base, so it's not even a terribly useful description.

The man played Genghis Khan!

This is blasphemy.

sd4chiefs 06-30-2023 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannybcaitlyn (Post 16915139)
FROM has been a pretty good series. Season two just started.

I just finished season one. Very scary.

Buehler445 06-30-2023 02:42 PM

I watched Last of Us because I'm going to shitcan HBO soon.

I gave it a pretty short leash. I'll be honest. I'm over zombie flicks. But this was wroth the squeeze. You have to suspend disbelief a bit on stuff aging 20 years.

But it's really solid. They don't belabor the zombie thing. It's about people's reaction to tragedy. It gets the perspective right. Bella Ramsey and Pedro Pascal are amazing. It gets the performances right. And there is a decent amount of balance in it. Ramsey flipping Pascal shit is legitimately funny. And there is nice development and depth to characters. It did a lot to keep to keep a guy engaged, rather than just lean on horror and increasingly ridiculous engagements, it focused on the characters.

I really enjoyed it. I know I'm late to the party, but I got there.

dlphg9 07-02-2023 06:35 PM

Saw a clip on Reddit of "Silo", so the fiance and I decided to start it and binged the first 8 episodes, because 9 & 10 hadn't aired yet. Completely awesome show and I'm glad we watched it. Excited for season 2, but I'm not sure how they really progress.

BigBeauford 07-03-2023 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwistedChief (Post 16993551)
Season 2 Episode 6.

OMG. Jaw-dropping amazing. One of the best of the year with some amazing all-star additions to the cast. Legendary.

I thought Episode 6 could have done more with its embarrassing riches of cast. Episode 7 however is a masterpiece of character arc development. This is how you tell a story without delving into exposition. I legitimately got goosebumps as the message became more clear to Richie.

Overall, this isn't on par (so far) with season 1. There are some highs for sure, but it feels too much like a series of bottle episodes. I need these characters back together in the kitchen.

srvy 07-03-2023 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 17001653)
I watched Last of Us because I'm going to shitcan HBO soon.

I gave it a pretty short leash. I'll be honest. I'm over zombie flicks. But this was wroth the squeeze. You have to suspend disbelief a bit on stuff aging 20 years.

But it's really solid. They don't belabor the zombie thing. It's about people's reaction to tragedy. It gets the perspective right. Bella Ramsey and Pedro Pascal are amazing. It gets the performances right. And there is a decent amount of balance in it. Ramsey flipping Pascal shit is legitimately funny. And there is nice development and depth to characters. It did a lot to keep to keep a guy engaged, rather than just lean on horror and increasingly ridiculous engagements, it focused on the characters.

I really enjoyed it. I know I'm late to the party, but I got there.

I flipped it off and never got back to finish it somewhere while they were in an old carnival. They just flipped on the power and carnival rides worked. I guess I was done then and there see no need to finish it honestly.

Bob Dole 07-03-2023 05:56 PM

I just watched Fubar again on Netflix, and found it enjoyable. My biggest issue with it (and many others), is people shooting semi-auto pistols at people with full auto weapons.

Simply Red 07-04-2023 05:28 AM

Did you guys watch The Undoing with Hugh Grant and Nicole Kidman? It's a good little 6 parter, very doable binge. HBO max and a few other have picked it up.

TwistedChief 07-04-2023 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford (Post 17003642)
I thought Episode 6 could have done more with its embarrassing riches of cast. Episode 7 however is a masterpiece of character arc development. This is how you tell a story without delving into exposition. I legitimately got goosebumps as the message became more clear to Richie.

Overall, this isn't on par (so far) with season 1. There are some highs for sure, but it feels too much like a series of bottle episodes. I need these characters back together in the kitchen.

I'm curious how you feel once you've finished the entire season.

Agreed that episode 7 is the best of the bunch. If I had to rank, I'd go 7, 6, 10, and then 4.

I love how they've made you (or at least me) care deeply about each of the characters and how you really want them to succeed. It's kinda like the opposite of Succession where you hate everyone and are just enjoying the dysfunction. The character development and acting in both shows are tremendous.

KCUnited 07-04-2023 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 17004382)
Did you guys watch The Undoing with Hugh Grant and Nicole Kidman? It's a good little 6 parter, very doable binge. HBO max and a few other have picked it up.

I have not but you might be interested in Silo

Rebecca Ferguson is a much sultrier Jodie Foster

BigBeauford 07-04-2023 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwistedChief (Post 17004418)
I'm curious how you feel once you've finished the entire season.

Agreed that episode 7 is the best of the bunch. If I had to rank, I'd go 7, 6, 10, and then 4.

I love how they've made you (or at least me) care deeply about each of the characters and how you really want them to succeed. It's kinda like the opposite of Succession where you hate everyone and are just enjoying the dysfunction. The character development and acting in both shows are tremendous.

I'm enjoying connecting with the characters in service of fleshing out their backstory. What initially drew me into the show was getting to experience the stress and chaos of the kitchen. I'm hoping for more of that to look forward to, and maybe less Ted Lassoing. Either way, it's undeniable what a great show it is.

Pepe Silvia 07-05-2023 09:07 PM

Giving “The Idol” a chance. Not really my type of show but it was decent enough to power through. I didn’t know Jane Adams was in this, that’s a bonus.

Simply Red 07-06-2023 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 17004424)
I have not but you might be interested in Silo

Rebecca Ferguson is a much sultrier Jodie Foster

Had you all seen Sharp Objects yet? Wondering if it's worth the time.

KCUnited 07-06-2023 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 17006232)

Oh I did watch Sharp Objects!

Had to Google the name to remind myself as its been awhile.

Yes its very good imo.

Its a slow burn that feels like a movie chopped into a miniseries so it doesn't flow like a traditional series where each episode has pivotal moment and gets wrapped up neatly so its kind of wonky in that regard.

Really well acted and filmed though. I say go for it!

TwistedChief 07-06-2023 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 17006232)

If you're going in that direction of Big Little Lies, Sharp Objects, and The Undoing, I thought Mare of Eastown was the best of the bunch.

ToxSocks 07-06-2023 11:30 AM

Finished the first season of The Mick.

Pretty damn funny at times. And i kinda figured it'd be something i could throw on and laugh at.

But by the end of the season i ended up just hating all the characters.

KCUnited 07-06-2023 12:02 PM

I just finished The Days on Netflix last night.

Its the story of the Fukushima Daiichi disaster or the Japanese Chernobyl.

It was certainly interesting and I wished I had liked it more than I did. Feel it was a couple episodes too long bloated with emotion trying to capture the stoic sense of duty and respect in Japanese culture but it just got a little long in the tooth.

Super interesting true (mostly) story which if you aren't familiar with could make it worthwhile.

The fact that the plant still isn't decommissioned and is practically a bomb still sitting there was a little eye opening.

Mecca 07-06-2023 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 17006768)

It was certainly interesting and I wished I had liked it more than I did. Feel it was a couple episodes too long bloated with emotion trying to capture the stoic sense of duty and respect in Japanese culture but it just got a little long in the tooth.

Super interesting true (mostly) story which if you aren't familiar with could make it worthwhile.

The fact that the plant still isn't decommissioned and is practically a bomb still sitting there was a little eye opening.

Japan is actually still dumping radioactive waste water into the ocean to this day...TEPCO was told in 2009 that a tsunami would destroy that plant as it wasn't protected...they deflected with "we were still looking into it"

There's a lot of shady stuff around that disaster.

KCUnited 07-06-2023 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 17006849)
Japan is actually still dumping radioactive waste water into the ocean to this day...TEPCO was told in 2009 that a tsunami would destroy that plant as it wasn't protected...they deflected with "we were still looking into it"

There's a lot of shady stuff around that disaster.

From the mini series, humans nor robots can get near the fuel for several more decades

Definitely some eye opening moves they made in the name of duty and salvaging perception

Mecca 07-06-2023 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 17006879)
From the mini series, humans nor robots can get near the fuel for several more decades

Definitely some eye opening moves they made in the name of duty and salvaging perception

Japans culture was on display in that show, not losing face was more important than anything.

Buehler445 07-06-2023 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwistedChief (Post 17006413)
If you're going in that direction of Big Little Lies, Sharp Objects, and The Undoing, I thought Mare of Eastown was the best of the bunch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 17006768)

Yeah, these nuclear things are weird. Chernobyl is like EVERYBODY HAS TO BE DEAD RIGHT? And it was bad. It was a goddamned catastrophe. However, the Reactors 1-3 were operated until 2000. How the hell could operators live and work in the exclusion zone with all that radiation? Then you read about all the people that sneak in there with Geiger Counters and stuff is all profoundly interesting, but it's weird, and not how we we would think.

And I think 3 Mile Island ran until sometime in the 90s, and only shut down because the company went broke.

Weird shit man.

I will check the The Days though, obviously Ithat shit is interesting.

lewdog 07-09-2023 02:57 PM

We got a promotion for Starz for 4 months. Where do we start for good series on Starz?

Buehler445 07-09-2023 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 17010219)
We got a promotion for Starz for 4 months. Where do we start for good series on Starz?

Is Black Sails still on Starz? That is worth the watch.

Buehler445 07-09-2023 03:35 PM

Looking through their offerings. The White Queen, The White Princess and The Spanish Princess aren't bad. Weren't really my thing, but not a terrible watch.

Magic City is pretty solid.

Spartacus has some cheese, but is pretty decent.

That's about all I've seen.

BigBeauford 07-09-2023 05:39 PM

Quote:

Even though it's on HBO now I think, Banshee is still awesome.

BigBeauford 07-09-2023 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford (Post 17010375)
Even though it's on HBO now I think, Banshee is still awesome.

Whoops, that's Cinemax.

rocknrolla 07-10-2023 09:15 AM

Quote:

Party Down is good. Just dropped a new season, although it took 10 years.

Pepe Silvia 07-10-2023 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocknrolla (Post 17010838)
Party Down is good. Just dropped a new season, although it took 10 years.

Are we having fun yet?

Lzen 07-11-2023 08:38 AM

Just finished season 1 of Silo. Great show, can't wait for new season. Anyone got any theories as to what is going on? What will happen to Juliette?

In58men 07-11-2023 08:42 AM

Thoughts on The Witcher?

We just started the last season to Peaky Blinders, once that’s over we’re thinking about The Witcher…

BigBeauford 07-11-2023 08:57 AM

The Bear closed out strong with Episodes 7-10. I'm still a bit iffy about this turning into show about the characters' personal lives with the kitchen aspect added as the seasoning rather than the other way around.

Buehler445 07-11-2023 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In58men (Post 17012347)
Thoughts on The Witcher?

We just started the last season to Peaky Blinders, once that’s over we’re thinking about The Witcher…

The S1 is really ****ing good. S2 is good. I haven't watched S3.

Witcher and Peaky Blinders aren't really very similar. There is some magic and shit in it (think Lord of the Rings not Harry Potter) and isn't on earth etc etc. Peaky Blinders was very much Birmingham in 1920.

Not sure what you're looking for, but don't watch Witcher and expect Blinders.

DJ's left nut 07-11-2023 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 17012341)
Just finished season 1 of Silo. Great show, can't wait for new season. Anyone got any theories as to what is going on? What will happen to Juliette?

Read the books so I can't weigh in, but the universe ends up very well established by the 2nd book which is a prequel for about the first 3/4 of it before finishing up around the same time as the 1st book. The third advances the story forward.

They take a few liberties with the storytelling but that's to be expected. In either event, there aren't many questions unanswered, at least as it relates to the Silo and the events that led to it.

DJ's left nut 07-11-2023 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 17006974)
Yeah, these nuclear things are weird. Chernobyl is like EVERYBODY HAS TO BE DEAD RIGHT? And it was bad. It was a goddamned catastrophe. However, the Reactors 1-3 were operated until 2000. How the hell could operators live and work in the exclusion zone with all that radiation? Then you read about all the people that sneak in there with Geiger Counters and stuff is all profoundly interesting, but it's weird, and not how we we would think.

And I think 3 Mile Island ran until sometime in the 90s, and only shut down because the company went broke.

Weird shit man.

I will check the The Days though, obviously Ithat shit is interesting.

Radiation is funny that way. Super deadly but also pretty damn easy to avoid getting killed by. You can really wall it off pretty well if you're not stupid and reckless.

That Russian reactor design was just...phew - it was real bad. And it wasn't because we didn't know how to do it better - the Russians just didn't do it. The RBMK's having a positive void coefficient is just nutty and when we knew how to make the coolant and the moderator the same thing, why would you NOT do that?

lewdog 07-12-2023 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In58men (Post 17012347)
Thoughts on The Witcher?

I thought Witcher was corny and sucked so stop after episode 4.

In58men 07-13-2023 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 17012604)
The S1 is really ****ing good. S2 is good. I haven't watched S3.

Witcher and Peaky Blinders aren't really very similar. There is some magic and shit in it (think Lord of the Rings not Harry Potter) and isn't on earth etc etc. Peaky Blinders was very much Birmingham in 1920.

Not sure what you're looking for, but don't watch Witcher and expect Blinders.

Oh yeah I know that. My wife is a huge Harry Potter fan, she’s watching Peaky Blinders with me so I’ll be watching The Witcher with her.

Zebedee DuBois 07-13-2023 02:59 PM

Surely, Netflix's "Quarterback" should get a mention in the Must Watch Series thread

KCUnited 07-14-2023 08:25 PM

2 episodes into The Bear S2 and have an intimate insight into all their pores

Trying to hang in with it but woof

BigBeauford 07-15-2023 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 17017493)

It definitely pays off the later half of the season but I definitely felt the same.

KCUnited 07-15-2023 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford (Post 17017977)
It definitely pays off the later half of the season but I definitely felt the same.

I know I'm going to enjoy it because I like the characters

I'm only 2 episodes in but I'm missing the Chicago Easter eggs and grit of the first season, so hopefully that comes along

The extreme close up film choice is just triggering my OCD. Feels like I'm watch Dr. Pimple Popper at times

https://i.imgur.com/XsC5pEy.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/J3Po0Of.jpg

lewdog 07-15-2023 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 17017989)

I'm only 2 episodes in but I'm missing the Chicago Easter eggs and grit of the first season, so hopefully that comes along

The extreme close up film choice is just triggering my OCD. Feels like I'm watch Dr. Pimple Popper at times

ROFL

They make up for a slow start to season 2 in episode 5. After that they bring great writing back. Episode 6 is can't miss, of any series ever.

TwistedChief 07-16-2023 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 17017493)

Stop being such a pussy.

KCUnited 07-16-2023 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwistedChief (Post 17018444)
Stop being such a pussy.

https://i.imgur.com/JlKIvRD.gif

Sure-Oz 07-16-2023 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 17017989)

Great show...I was hooked right away. S2 was fantastic esp episode 6&7

KCUnited 07-17-2023 06:42 AM

RE: The Bear s2 e7 if anyone wants the Pequads experience you can have it shipped from from Goldbelly

I've sent them as gifts to family in the past and they've been well received

Pepe Silvia 07-17-2023 11:21 AM

Daytime friends and night time lovers….

wilkinson 07-26-2023 02:32 PM

Sex life is definitely worth watching

BigBeauford 07-28-2023 06:41 AM

The Justified reboot has really disappointed me. Wife and I (big fans of the original) couldn't make it through the first episode. The writing is garbage and unfortunately proliferated with a bunch of woke nonsense, and Olyphant was sidelined almost the entire time.

DJ's left nut 07-29-2023 09:33 PM

Good Omens season 2 is on Prime.

There is no source material (Pratchett and Gaiman wrote the book for season 1) but the cast is largely intact and I'd watch David Tennant chew gum and read a phone book. Crowley was a part essentially written for him and Ham as Gabriel is fantastic casting.

I don't think the smokeshow who played the witch in season 1 is back but oh well.

I suspect it'll still have that clever sort of British humor.

Talisman 07-30-2023 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 17018014)
ROFL

They make up for a slow start to season 2 in episode 5. After that they bring great writing back. Episode 6 is can't miss, of any series ever.

Wow. Just finished episode 6 and that shit was crazy. What an amazing hour of television.

DJ's left nut 07-30-2023 01:41 PM

Season 2 of Good Omens isn't nearly as good, sadly.

4 episodes in and it's just very ordinary. Nowhere near as clever as season 1. The only time I'm really enjoying it is when they go back in time. The 'contemporary' storyline is foooooooorced.

Lets set aside for a moment the lesbian relationship plot arc that they're making the centerpiece of the whole thing and just consider it a regular relationship - they've done NOTHING to make me think either of these people would be happy together. Or if I even CARE if either of them are happy - the 'unrequited' character is annoying as hell and sobby over someone she doesn't even know. The 'rejecting' character is just snarky for snarky's sake. It's a STUPID relationship storyline that just doesn't work on any level.

And now the part that probably annoys me most. They have a wheelchair bound and developmentally disabled angel. Oh for ****'s sake, really? You get to heaven and your incorporeal form is handicapped? And she's bopping around in a freakin' motorized scooter? How's that anything BUT meeting some stupid diversity quota? How am I supposed to suspend disbelief when you do shit like that? And she's a wholly unnecessary character so it's not like it's even paramount to the storyline - she's just in the background looking like a dwarf in a scooter. As an angel.

There's nobody as interesting as the kids or whichfinders from Season 1. The 'mystery' isn't actually going anywhere. Jon Hamm is being played as a fish out of water when he ALWAYS works best as the coolest guy in the room.

This thing is just...ordinary. There's absolutely nothing about it worth watching. It's a hell of a bummer because Pratchett and Gaiman built a heck of a universe for them to operate in.

Zebedee DuBois 07-30-2023 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17036127)
Season 2 of Good Omens isn't nearly as good, sadly.

And now the part that probably annoys me most. They have a wheelchair...

Heh...the wheelchair angel made me chuckle. I realize we have zero information on what heaven is really like. Anyone's take on it is as good as anybody else's.

The thing that is surprising (and amusing) to me is how clueless all the angels and demons are about what is going on. The do not have a freaking clue. One of my personal hopes for heaven would be that we finally understand what all the inexplicable things of life mean, like why innocent and good people suffer. I was hoping we would walk through the pearly gates and go, "Oh, I get it now!"

And John Hamm nails the role of pompous buffoon.

I'm enjoying it.

ThaVirus 07-31-2023 01:44 PM

I’ve been watching the new Peele version of The Twilight Zone and the latest season of Black Mirror simultaneously.

To be totally honest, I’m enjoying Twilight Zone a bit more.. was cool to see a BM episode with Josh Hartnett and Aaron Paul together though.

mlyonsd 08-12-2023 06:36 PM

The ******* That Built America series on the History Channel

A conversation with displacedinMN gave me the idea to post this.

For a couple years I've been latched on to 'The ******* That Built America Series' on the History Channel. Sunday nights is when they air new episodes.

They've done several different series, like The Men TBA, The Food TBA, The Machines TBA. There are a bunch more. Currently they are on The Mega-Brands TBA.

Last week the episode was on sports mega brands. They highlighted sporting goods pioneers Spalding, Wilson, and Rawlings. The replay is tomorrow night at 7pm CT.

Very interesting how the modern baseball, glove, football were created and then evolved.

https://www.history.com/that-built-documentaries

luv 08-22-2023 12:49 PM

Anyone watch Untold on Netflix? The two-parter on Manti T'eo was really good.

KCUnited 08-23-2023 04:44 PM

I finished Invasion S1 on Apple TV

I thought it was well done for the most part. Maybe a little heavy handed, which seems inline with other Apple shows I've watched (not necessarily a bad thing)

It has a mix of storyline vantage points where some were more developed than others but overall I really enjoyed it

Also, Shioli Kutsuna is um, well is um...just wow

Buehler445 08-23-2023 07:16 PM

So I watched Love and Death on Max. I was trying to work through everything I wanted to see before I cancelled. I think it's a really good watch, but be it known that I know nothing about the case in real life.

1. Let's get it out of the way early. Elizabeth Olsen is hot as the surface of the sun. I absolutely hate 80s fashion, it covers up everything good about anybody. It isn't flattering, it isn't sexy, it doesn't accentuate any good features, it's just bleh. And they tried to cover up how hot she is, but it shows through. She's ****ing incredible. OK, now that that is out of the way.

2. My journey with Elizabeth Olsen is weird. I thought she was horrific in Age of Ultron. Absolutely blazing hot but bad. After time, I've softened a bit. She does a very nice job in a few places. After her brother dies, and while she's hiding with Hawkeye are really pretty good. I let that color my viewing of the rest of the MCU. I was here for the titties. Then I watched WandaVision. She was ****ing incredible in that (In addition to the titties). I don't understand why that isn't talked about more. I thought it was really ****ing good, and she was downright incredible. Sure the final fight with Kathryn Hahn was not great from a graphics perspective, but the whole thing had weight. "What is grief if not love persevering?" is goddamned compelling. And she was really good. They dopey sitcom stuff was pretty easy, but she executed it with a bit of a horror undertone which is really difficult. She was phenomenal.

Somewhere along the way I watched Old Boy (again for the titties). Don't do that. Look them up on the internet. You don't need to know the context there. I don't remember ****all about her performance because the whole context threw me for a loop that I didn't need.

Which leads me to this. She was really good. The whole thing was a difficult ask, and she was really good. There is a shitload of nuance in there, and executed it. IMO she does not get the credit for being as good of an actress as she is.

3. I'm guessing Plemmons is going to or got roasted for his performance, but I'm guessing it was based on the real guy. I too thought he was really solid. There was a lot of really nuanced stuff in it that led to a solid watch.

4. Probably much like the real story, I have no idea what to think about motive there.

Good stuff. Definitely recommend.

The holdout for cancelling Max was Warrior. Yeah, the show has almost no believability, but **** it, I'm in. The fight scenes are pretty good and the dynamic was at least intriguing. I was really compelled by Young Jun's story early (until he took over the tong).

The last season wasn't as good as the earlier ones, but WTF? I still enjoyed it.

I still laugh hard at "You had that the whole time?" when Young Jun pulls out the gun. God that's funny.

ChiliConCarnage 08-26-2023 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 17069923)
I finished Invasion S1 on Apple TV

I thought it was well done for the most part. Maybe a little heavy handed, which seems inline with other Apple shows I've watched (not necessarily a bad thing)

It has a mix of storyline vantage points where some were more developed than others but overall I really enjoyed it

Also, Shioli Kutsuna is um, well is um...just wow

The previews for S2 looked interesting. I thought I'd heard the first season was a dud tho. I'll check it out in the future

KCUnited 08-28-2023 07:30 AM

Not sure where else to put this but the new (2023) Jim Jefferies Netflix standup is the hardest I've laughed in a bit

mikeyis4dcats. 08-28-2023 07:48 AM

I'm a bit behind the times, but started binging Ballers last week on Netflix. Good times!

DJ's left nut 08-30-2023 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 17070116)
So I watched Love and Death on Max...

3. I'm guessing Plemmons is going to or got roasted for his performance, but I'm guessing it was based on the real guy. I too thought he was really solid. There was a lot of really nuanced stuff in it that led to a solid watch.

A) Elizabeth Olsen references will pretty much pull me from anywhere on this board to weigh on. God almighty.

B) Man, I wish I hadn't have seen this part.

Jesse Plemons pretty much sucks. You had me intrigued but that makes me a little wary.

I guess I need to see that Western he was in with Benedict Cumberbatch but anything else I've seen him in has him just getting wrecked. Dude - what were you thinking taking a role in The Irishman? You can't hang with ANY of those guys. The Key Grip can probably do a better job than you. Just...why?

He keeps getting good gigs with great casts - some SOMEBODY disagrees with me. I just don't see it.

Maybe Chris Jones should hire his agent?

Buehler445 08-30-2023 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17079910)
A) Elizabeth Olsen references will pretty much pull me from anywhere on this board to weigh on. God almighty.

B) Man, I wish I hadn't have seen this part.

Jesse Plemons pretty much sucks. You had me intrigued but that makes me a little wary.

I guess I need to see that Western he was in with Benedict Cumberbatch but anything else I've seen him in has him just getting wrecked. Dude - what were you thinking taking a role in The Irishman? You can't hang with ANY of those guys. The Key Grip can probably do a better job than you. Just...why?

He keeps getting good gigs with great casts - some SOMEBODY disagrees with me. I just don't see it.

Maybe Chris Jones should hire his agent?

I think his performance is not bad. Some of his mannerisms and stoicism is off putting. But I think a function of the character. Because there are parts (when he’s with Olsen) where he is a different character. But it fits with ultra religious Texas dudes whose societal norms are to internalize everything.

Much like Ben Stein is not that dude in Ferris Buellers Day off, that’s what the part calls for and I think that’s the case here.

I’m no Stan for Plemmons. But I think he did a nice job here. As an actor he’ll never be able to pull off the Pachino “ITS A GREAT ASS” from Heat, but this isn’t that. I think, if you look objectively, they tried to cram a lot of nuance into his character. I didn’t like the character, but I probably wouldn’t like the Pachino - Heat character either. Well, at least after the coke wore off.

Really, watch the show. If for no other reason than Olsen is really ****ing good and HBO deserves the runway. It’s not some masterpiece but it is an interesting look at a segment of society that isn’t often inspected.

One other thing you specifically might enjoy is Tom Pelphrey railing against the Judge. There was some quality profanity there.

DJ's left nut 08-30-2023 02:48 PM

This seems like the right spot.

"Still" on Apple+ is really poignant and really good, especially for those of us that kinda grew up with Michael J. Fox.

Just a fascinating take on a bio-pic. They splice pieces from movies/shows he did along with readings of his audio books and recent interviews to discuss his career, diagnosis, progression of his disease and outlook on life.

Its just damn well done and fairly unique as far as approach goes.

And while it makes you want to feel bad for Michael J. Fox - he kinda makes that impossible because he's just so damn unflappable in the face of it all.

"What happened there?"

"Oh that? I fell. And I was a little surprised so I didn't fall like I usually do and I hit my face on the coffee table. When I came too I realized 'oh I think I ****ed myself up' so I went to the doctor and yeah - these are pins and screws here in my cheek because I broke my face..."

Just completely non-plussed by the whole thing.

He's a pretty remarkable guy who almost never became a thing at all. I mean it seems like it was a question of days before he packed up his shit and went back to Canada. Some of the most fascinating stuff, though, is the signs he hid so well. He was diagnosed like 8 years before he announced he had Parkinson's. And if you watch, you can see the tics and things he did to hide them. They show it a few times but by no means do they dwell on it.

It's worth 90 minutes.

DJ's left nut 08-30-2023 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 17079998)
I think his performance is not bad. Some of his mannerisms and stoicism is off putting. But I think a function of the character. Because there are parts (when he’s with Olsen) where he is a different character. But it fits with ultra religious Texas dudes whose societal norms are to internalize everything.

Much like Ben Stein is not that dude in Ferris Buellers Day off, that’s what the part calls for and I think that’s the case here.

I’m no Stan for Plemmons. But I think he did a nice job here. As an actor he’ll never be able to pull off the Pachino “ITS A GREAT ASS” from Heat, but this isn’t that. I think, if you look objectively, they tried to cram a lot of nuance into his character. I didn’t like the character, but I probably wouldn’t like the Pachino - Heat character either. Well, at least after the coke wore off.

Really, watch the show. If for no other reason than Olsen is really ****ing good and HBO deserves the runway. It’s not some masterpiece but it is an interesting look at a segment of society that isn’t often inspected.

One other thing you specifically might enjoy is Tom Pelphrey railing against the Judge. There was some quality profanity there.

Admittedly, there are just some actors I don't like.

I know people love Timothy Olyphant but I just don't. Have never been happy to see him in a role though I'm still trying to talk myself into finding a streaming service for Justified because I've been told I'll like him, bias be damned.

Richard Madden is just lousy. So very, very bad. And people want to try to make him Bond? I don't get it. McCaughnahey (spelled that wrong) wears me out. I think Forest Whittaker is overrated as hell. I just get 'down' on certain actors and have little use for them.

But then I have guys like Karl Urban and David Tennant who I think are fantastic and would watch them read a phonebook. I think Gene Hackman is arguably the most criminally underrated actor of all-time (and Robert Duvall is kindof his overrated flipside).

I may not be being fair to Plemons - showing up as a fat **** in the Breaking Bad sequel almost certainly poisoned the well there. But I just don't like him.

Buehler445 08-30-2023 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17080485)
This seems like the right spot.

"Still" on Apple+ is really poignant and really good, especially for those of us that kinda grew up with Michael J. Fox.

Just a fascinating take on a bio-pic. They splice pieces from movies/shows he did along with readings of his audio books and recent interviews to discuss his career, diagnosis, progression of his disease and outlook on life.

Its just damn well done and fairly unique as far as approach goes.

And while it makes you want to feel bad for Michael J. Fox - he kinda makes that impossible because he's just so damn unflappable in the face of it all.

"What happened there?"

"Oh that? I fell. And I was a little surprised so I didn't fall like I usually do and I hit my face on the coffee table. When I came too I realized 'oh I think I ****ed myself up' so I went to the doctor and yeah - these are pins and screws here in my cheek because I broke my face..."

Just completely non-plussed by the whole thing.

He's a pretty remarkable guy who almost never became a thing at all. I mean it seems like it was a question of days before he packed up his shit and went back to Canada. Some of the most fascinating stuff, though, is the signs he hid so well. He was diagnosed like 8 years before he announced he had Parkinson's. And if you watch, you can see the tics and things he did to hide them. They show it a few times but by no means do they dwell on it.

It's worth 90 minutes.

Interesting. Thanks.

Buehler445 08-30-2023 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17080504)
Admittedly, there are just some actors I don't like.

I know people love Timothy Olyphant but I just don't. Have never been happy to see him in a role though I'm still trying to talk myself into finding a streaming service for Justified because I've been told I'll like him, bias be damned.

Richard Madden is just lousy. So very, very bad. And people want to try to make him Bond? I don't get it. McCaughnahey (spelled that wrong) wears me out. I think Forest Whittaker is overrated as hell. I just get 'down' on certain actors and have little use for them.

But then I have guys like Karl Urban and David Tennant who I think are fantastic and would watch them read a phonebook. I think Gene Hackman is arguably the most criminally underrated actor of all-time (and Robert Duvall is kindof his overrated flipside).

I may not be being fair to Plemons - showing up as a fat **** in the Breaking Bad sequel almost certainly poisoned the well there. But I just don't like him.

I am a giant Justified fan, and don't really like Olyphant in anything other than Deadwood, so I'm with on you everything there.

Just watch the show. If you can't shut off the **** you gene (I have that gene. It's...we'll call it expressed), just tune him out. He's not in it a ton. IMO, his performance is worth watching, but if you hate him, just watch Olsen.

Pinchshot 08-30-2023 06:08 PM

I was so excited to see the new Justified. Loved the old series. But this version sucks. Olyphant looks like he's got aids - so skinny. And who wants to see geriatric sex? There are some good scenes but all in all I'd give it a D. I quit recording it.

Zebedee DuBois 08-30-2023 06:26 PM

Plemmons seems to always play characters as if they are clueless or slow about what is going on around them. Like they're playing checkers when the rest of the characters are playing chess. Like something is missing upstairs.

BigBeauford 08-30-2023 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebedee DuBois (Post 17080905)
Plemmons seems to always play characters as if they are clueless or slow about what is going on around them. Like they're playing checkers when the rest of the characters are playing chess. Like something is missing upstairs.

He's always a plus for me, like a more charming and obese Matt Damon.

SAGA45 09-01-2023 03:01 PM

Finished binge watching Yellowstone. Beth Dutton - great rack. Horrible character. Rip needs his own show.

HemiEd 09-04-2023 04:36 PM

Your Honor

I did what I thought was a thorough search of this thread and forum with nothing coming up. Sorry if I missed it.

The Series "Your Honor" is one of the best I have ever watched. Highly recommend it.
I watched it on Paramount Plus
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OW-2VrnRb0c?si=Sagoh-sgPvZ3sOgB" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BigRichard 09-06-2023 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 17086391)
I did what I thought was a thorough search of this thread and forum with nothing coming up. Sorry if I missed it.

The Series "Your Honor" is one of the best I have ever watched. Highly recommend it.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OW-2VrnRb0c?si=Sagoh-sgPvZ3sOgB" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That looks good. How many seasons is it?

mikeyis4dcats. 09-06-2023 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 17076097)
I'm a bit behind the times, but started binging Ballers last week on Netflix. Good times!

Finished this last week. Surprised it didn't get more discussion here since it's football adjacent, and the last season has the Rock's character as owner of the Chiefs...

HemiEd 09-06-2023 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRichard (Post 17088398)
That looks good. How many seasons is it?

Just two, and I don't see how there could be a third the way it ended, but they might surprise us.

srvy 09-06-2023 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 17086391)

This looks interesting. I have Paramount plus I'll have to see if I have the Showtime add on.

HemiEd 09-06-2023 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 17089420)
This looks interesting. I have Paramount plus I'll have to see if I have the Showtime add on.

Paramount Plus will get it done, no need for the Showtime if I am not wrong. We don't have the Showtime, they are getting ridiculus with all of these options.