ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Report: Sneed likely to stay with Chiefs and play the tag (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=352752)

gblowfish 03-16-2024 07:51 AM

I'm for just keeping Sneed even if its just for one more year. Shut down guys like him are priceless, really.

Red Dawg 03-16-2024 08:08 AM

He will be traded. Veach wants it. We may not get what we want but we aren't paying 19 mil this year. Veach has plans for that money and we aren't extending him and risk losing McDouffie, Creed and Bolton next year.

SupDock 03-16-2024 08:13 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Once and for all: There is no trade in place between the Chiefs and Colts for L’Jarius Sneed. I was told this unequivocally from the highest levels of the Colts organization. <br><br>Hope everyone has a great day.</p>&mdash; Stephen Holder (@HolderStephen) <a href="https://twitter.com/HolderStephen/status/1768992276510818779?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 16, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

pugsnotdrugs19 03-16-2024 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg (Post 17446274)
He will be traded. Veach wants it. We may not get what we want but we aren't paying 19 mil this year. Veach has plans for that money and we aren't extending him and risk losing McDouffie, Creed and Bolton next year.

McDuffie is under team control through at least 2026, and they can use the tag in 2027 if necessary.

Perineum Ripper 03-16-2024 08:28 AM

Quote:

If you are just going to randomly through shit out there, at least have some ****ing knowledge on what you are talking about. Like who is under contract and not under contract next year

Monticore 03-16-2024 08:31 AM

Still holding out hope for another team to come in and beat the colts offer.

ntexascardfan 03-16-2024 08:36 AM

My read of the situation is that Indy and the Chiefs have agreed to a deal in principal, but the holdup is Sneed's contract demands.

I guess Sneed is in a bit of a no-lose situation, unless we call his bluff and terminate the franchise tag. If deep down he wants to be a Chief, he can drive his price so high that he's either going to get a huge bag...or worse case scenario for him he believes he can just come back and chase another ring.

The wildcard in this is if Veach is willing to pull the tag.

RealSNR 03-16-2024 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 17446195)
Guess we will see who is right

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">In fact, I’m leaning heavily toward that trade not happening at all.</p>&mdash; Stephen Holder (@HolderStephen) <a href="https://twitter.com/HolderStephen/status/1768986067221262508?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 16, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I think Rickey's gonna kick that pussy's ass!

Red Dawg 03-16-2024 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntexascardfan (Post 17446319)
My read of the situation is that Indy and the Chiefs have agreed to a deal in principal, but the holdup is Sneed's contract demands.

I guess Sneed is in a bit of a no-lose situation, unless we call his bluff and terminate the franchise tag. If deep down he wants to be a Chief, he can drive his price so high that he's either going to get a huge bag...or worse case scenario for him he believes he can just come back and chase another ring.

Yup. At some point Veach will have to consider pulling the tag and letting him walk if he feels it won't happen. Pretty clear that Sneed wants too much for us and maybe the Colts as well. How bad does he want to keep McDuffie? Thats also a factor. He's younger.

ShowtimeSBMVP 03-16-2024 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg (Post 17446359)
Yup. At some point Veach will have to consider pulling the tag and letting him walk if he feels it won't happen. Pretty clear that Sneed wants too much for us and maybe the Colts as well. His bad does he want to keep McDuffie? Thats also a factor. He's younger.

Why would he pull the tag lol. Chiefs are just fine letting him play on the tag.

Kiimo 03-16-2024 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntexascardfan (Post 17446319)

My read of the situation is that Chiefs and Colts FANS have agreed to a deal in principal and there is zero evidence of anything else

SAGA45 03-16-2024 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShowtimeSBMVP (Post 17446360)
Why would he pull the tag lol.

The $19.8 mil in CAP space that becomes available if the tag is pulled.

Red Dawg 03-16-2024 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShowtimeSBMVP (Post 17446360)
Why would he pull the tag lol. Chiefs are just fine letting him play on the tag.

How do we know that? Sneed said he won't play on the tag.

ShowtimeSBMVP 03-16-2024 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg (Post 17446363)

Stop that he’s not turning 19 m down.

louie aguiar 03-16-2024 09:15 AM

Not sure about this guy…

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Can confirm that LJ Sneed will be joining the Colts. There was a deal in place but there was a snag holding things up. He will be an Indianapolis Colt in 2024. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ChiefsKingdom?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#ChiefsKingdom</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Colts?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Colts</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ForTheShoe?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#ForTheShoe</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Chiefs</a> <a href="https://t.co/8ttsaP6L4t">pic.twitter.com/8ttsaP6L4t</a></p>&mdash; Rickey (@PrettyRickey213) <a href="https://twitter.com/PrettyRickey213/status/1769009871045726375?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 16, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Red Dawg 03-16-2024 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShowtimeSBMVP (Post 17446364)
Stop that he’s not turning 19 m down.

Probably not if it was play or don't play. He won't miss the season. Just repeating what he said.

TwistedChief 03-16-2024 09:22 AM

Quote:

This is the part where I ask what your source for that is and where you can’t provide one.

mnchiefsguy 03-16-2024 09:26 AM

Pick 84? **** that. Have him play on the tag, and after he walks in FA next year we will get a third comp pick that would be what, between 98-105? I would rather a year of Sneed and that than pick 84.

SHOWTIME 03-16-2024 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupDock (Post 17446278)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Once and for all: There is no trade in place between the Chiefs and Colts for L’Jarius Sneed. I was told this unequivocally from the highest levels of the Colts organization. <br><br>Hope everyone has a great day.</p>&mdash; Stephen Holder (@HolderStephen) <a href="https://twitter.com/HolderStephen/status/1768992276510818779?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 16, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Doesn't mean there aren't ongoing discussions between the clubs...

pugsnotdrugs19 03-16-2024 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 17446382)
Pick 84? **** that. Have him play on the tag, and after he walks in FA next year we will get a third comp pick that would be what, between 98-105? I would rather a year of Sneed and that than pick 84.

Comp pick wouldn't come until 2026 and that's a huge IF considering Sneed would have to have another strong season to earn the contract + the Chiefs couldn't sign anyone else to a similar AAV deal or it'd cancel out.

You can't count on a comp pick that wouldn't even arrive for two more years.

RealSNR 03-16-2024 09:29 AM

Quote:

Just slow down and actually check your facts before you post bullshit in the future.

Marcellus 03-16-2024 09:32 AM

Quote:

No he didn’t.

RunKC 03-16-2024 09:38 AM

Fine by me. Bring back Sneed to get that threepeat. We’re going for history

staylor26 03-16-2024 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 17446387)
Comp pick wouldn't come until 2026 and that's a huge IF considering Sneed would have to have another strong season to earn the contract + the Chiefs couldn't sign anyone else to a similar AAV deal or it'd cancel out.

You can't count on a comp pick that wouldn't even arrive for two more years.

I feel like this has to be explained over and over LMAO

BWillie 03-16-2024 10:48 AM

Quote:

Lol at making a decision about Sneed because of Creed ****ing Humphrey. Creed Humphrey does not matter.

ShowtimeSBMVP 03-16-2024 10:56 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">On the L’Jarius Sneed front, I’m told the main sticking point has been Sneed’s asking price.<br><br>The Colts and Titans are two of the top teams trying to execute a trade, but Sneed’s price is too high, per source. <br><br>For now, Sneed remains in KC on $19.8M tag.</p>&mdash; Matt Verderame (@MattVerderame) <a href="https://twitter.com/MattVerderame/status/1769044532186743051?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 16, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sofa King 03-16-2024 10:59 AM

If anything, this is a good glimpse into how contract negotiations with Sneed would/will go.

RunKC 03-16-2024 11:05 AM

Yup. Again his resume isn’t that strong. 1 year of elite play. In a system that makes corners look really good. Has never been an all pro. Jaylon Johnson set the market too.

43.8 and 54.4 are the key numbers. $43.8 million fully gauranteed and $54.4 million in total guarantees.

That’s probably the holdup considering it’s the market for what Sneed is after at this point

pugsnotdrugs19 03-16-2024 11:43 AM

Well he's kinda ****ing us at this point. C'mon man. His agents need to be real here.

Pasta Little Brioni 03-16-2024 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShowtimeSBMVP (Post 17446465)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">On the L’Jarius Sneed front, I’m told the main sticking point has been Sneed’s asking price.<br><br>The Colts and Titans are two of the top teams trying to execute a trade, but Sneed’s price is too high, per source. <br><br>For now, Sneed remains in KC on $19.8M tag.</p>&mdash; Matt Verderame (@MattVerderame) <a href="https://twitter.com/MattVerderame/status/1769044532186743051?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 16, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Lulz Cap'n Colt looks like a buffoon

BossChief 03-16-2024 12:49 PM

I bet he’s in Indy and the physical is a lot more in depth than most due to his injury/concussion history.

FringeNC 03-16-2024 01:06 PM

Doesn't Sneed have to lower his contract demands the longer this plays out? He's taking a huge risk.

wazu 03-16-2024 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FringeNC (Post 17446625)
Doesn't Sneed have to lower his contract demands the longer this plays out? He's taking a huge risk.

I guess it depends on what he's being offered, which we don't know. If he's getting weak offers I think he's happy to just play on the tag. Bank that money and he's set for life if he's smart. Then go be a real free agent next year and get that bazillionaire contract that puts him in the uber-rich club.

ThyKingdomCome15 03-16-2024 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 17446475)
Yup. Again his resume isn’t that strong. 1 year of elite play. In a system that makes corners look really good. Has never been an all pro. Jaylon Johnson set the market too.

43.8 and 54.4 are the key numbers. $43.8 million fully gauranteed and $54.4 million in total guarantees.

That’s probably the holdup considering it’s the market for what Sneed is after at this point

I know next to nothing about Jaylon Johnson but according to pff the drop off between him and Sneed is really steep. Sneed is essentially worth Charvarious Ward money and nothing more.

This really is giving off Orlando Brown Jr. vibes. I'm good with Sneed playing on the tag though. He'll never make a penny more and he has a shot at another ring. I'd do that too honestly but it is risky.

WhawhaWhat 03-16-2024 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FringeNC (Post 17446625)

This is his one and only chance to cash in. The franchise tag is 4x what he's made his entire career but he's got the opportunity to get a lot more. I don't blame him for fighting for everything he can get.

ChiefsFanatic 03-16-2024 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 17446659)
This is his one and only chance to cash in. The franchise tag is 4x what he's made his entire career but he's got the opportunity to get a lot more. I don't blame him for fighting for everything he can get.

I said yesterday that maybe Veach is bending on the trade, because he knows what that money could do for Sneed and his family.

I am pretty sure Sneed grew up poor, with drugs and prisons being a regular part of his family life. I don't remember specifics, but I remember reading about Sneed's childhood, and while I almost never blame a player for wanting their bag, I especially don't blame LJ. Also, he helped us get some rings, so I hope he gets whatever he wants.

jjchieffan 03-17-2024 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsFanatic (Post 17447219)
I said yesterday that maybe Veach is bending on the trade, because he knows what that money could do for Sneed and his family.

I am pretty sure Sneed grew up poor, with drugs and prisons being a regular part of his family life. I don't remember specifics, but I remember reading about Sneed's childhood, and while I almost never blame a player for wanting their bag, I especially don't blame LJ. Also, he helped us get some rings, so I hope he gets whatever he wants.

You say that like a 5 year $110M contract would be life changing money, but a 5 year, $85M contract wouldn't be. Either way, he's set for life. The idea that a player needs to get as much as he can because he's watching out for his family is preposterous. The money that he's already made on his rookie contract is already more than he's ever seen in his life. Let's not act like he's going to be struggling to make ends meet after football if he doesn't get every dime that he can on this contract.

Chieftain 03-17-2024 08:20 AM

I like Verderame's football takes but he knows jackshit about the ins and outs of the team's front office. Guy just parrots what others have already posted.

BigRedChief 03-17-2024 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chieftain (Post 17447397)
I like Verderame's football takes but he knows jackshit about the ins and outs of the team's front office. Guy just parrots what others have already posted.

His podcasts are top shelf for Chiefs breakdowns and analysis. Insider stuff is not his bag.

Rainbarrel 03-17-2024 09:02 AM

Sneed silently points finger to Chris Jones

FloridaMan88 03-17-2024 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 17446527)
Well he's kinda ****ing us at this point. C'mon man. His agents need to be real here.

No kidding… either sign a long term deal with the Chiefs or help facilitate a trade by getting a contract done with another team.

Just get that nearly $20 million tag # off the Chiefs salary cap.

Pasta Little Brioni 03-17-2024 09:18 AM

Whatever makes the basement twittee scoopers look bad...would love to see Sneed locked up, lower this year's hit, and then we fill LT in the process just for maximize opposing fan squeeling

jd1020 03-17-2024 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 17446635)
I guess it depends on what he's being offered, which we don't know. If he's getting weak offers I think he's happy to just play on the tag. Bank that money and he's set for life if he's smart. Then go be a real free agent next year and get that bazillionaire contract that puts him in the uber-rich club.

Here's the thing though. He plays in the most violent sport we have. Playing on the tag is a huge risk. That's only $19M guaranteed. Even if he feels the offers are "low," low still means more than double that guarantee. He could play on the tag and have another elite season and cash in, or he could go out there and have a career altering injury and now he's ****ed himself out of $30M+. That's why it isn't uncommon for players to hold out when they get franchise tagged, they hate it.

ShowtimeSBMVP 03-17-2024 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 17446527)

I don’t see it this way. This is probably his only chance to get a real payday in the NFL. He’s 27 gets a 4 year deal takes him into age 32 season no team is spending big on a 32 year old corner. This all could’ve been avoided if the Chiefs approached him last offseason and said hey here is 4 years 45m deal I bet he takes it.

Sassy Squatch 03-17-2024 09:30 AM

You think he'd take a deal at 11.25 AAV? Are you high?

TEX 03-17-2024 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sassy Squatch (Post 17447435)
You think he'd take a deal at 11.25 AAV? Are you high?

He said last off season. Probably still would not have taken it, but maybe he does take 14/15 AAV at that time. :shrug:

BIG_DADDY 03-17-2024 09:37 AM

Whatever Sneed does he better do it quickly if he wants a long term deal otherwise we just keep him on the tag.

Pasta Little Brioni 03-17-2024 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShowtimeSBMVP (Post 17447429)
I don’t see it this way. This is probably his only chance to get a real payday in the NFL. He’s 27 gets a 4 year deal takes him into age 32 season no team is spending big on a 32 year old corner. This all could’ve been avoided if the Chiefs approached him last offseason and said hey here is 4 years 45m deal I bet he takes it.

The hell? No he wouldn't have

RunKC 03-17-2024 09:49 AM

Just take the money Sneed. Pretty sure there’s an offer with at least $30-32 million guaranteed.

Far better to take that than only $19.8 million.

BigRedChief 03-17-2024 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 17447458)
Just take the money Sneed. Pretty sure there’s an offer with at least $30-32 million guaranteed.

The whole family is so poor. Brothers and sisters lost to violence. $35 million guaranteed would be generational changing wealth for his family.

scho63 03-17-2024 11:26 AM

$20 million is life altering too.

milkshock 03-17-2024 12:47 PM

Report: Sneed likely to stay with Chiefs and play the tag

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 17447458)

On the other hand he has just seen Jones play hardball last year and win big financially this year

Perhaps he sees some value in that approach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BossChief 03-17-2024 01:25 PM

I’m hoping Veach is having real conversations with Sneed about being able to keep him at x amount and Sneed ends up signing a “hometown discount” while accounting for “seeing red and more rings”

Straight, No Chaser 03-17-2024 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 17447626)
I’m hoping Veach is having real conversations with Sneed about being able to keep him at x amount and Sneed ends up signing a “hometown discount” while accounting for “seeing red and more rings”

Hometown Discount? “Because we have rings”. Not sure what that means nowadays (a nothing burger). As reported, other teams’ cool to the idea of giving up picks. He’s our lockdown corner. Trust in Veachi to give him what he’s worth. Much better than seeing help out Detroit’s defense

kccrow 03-17-2024 01:53 PM

Go ahead and make him the highest-paid CB in the league. What does it matter?

Let's say it's 4y/85m w/30m SB guarantee the 1st 2 year's salaries. You can come out at approximate hits of 14/20/24/27 with a fully guaranteed 47.5m (56%).

If Kelce retires after this season, you've already paid for Sneed in 25. If he doesn't, you can cut Thuney loose and get cheaper on the interior.

I'm not worried a bit about signing Sneed and making money work. It's easy.

Sofa King 03-17-2024 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 17447653)

Let's say it's 4y/85m w/30m SB guarantee the 1st 2 year's salaries. You can come out at approximate hits of 14/20/24/27 with a fully guaranteed 47.5m (56%).

If Kelce retires after this season, you've already paid for Sneed in 25. If he doesn't, you can cut Thuney loose and get cheaper on the interior.

We have 23 players on the roster for next year with only 48 million in cap space. Which is before any earned incentives. Bolton, Creed, Reid, Smith, Omenihu, Butker, "Sneed" etc etc etc... Then McDuffie and George, etc the following year

So no, it's not easy.

Danguardace 03-17-2024 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofa King (Post 17447658)
We have 23 players on the roster for next year with only 48 million in cap space. Which is before any earned incentives. Bolton, Creed, Reid, Smith, Omenihu, Butker, "Sneed" etc etc etc... Then McDuffie and George, etc the following year

So no, it's not easy.

You will have 2 drafts to fill out that 2025 roster so its not as bad it seems.

The Franchise 03-17-2024 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danguardace (Post 17447670)
You will have 2 drafts to fill out that 2025 roster so its not as bad it seems.

So 40 players. Still nowhere near enough.

IowaHawkeyeChief 03-17-2024 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 17447653)

I think Kelce will play two more years, min. Probably 3. Some big records that he will hit and pad and will probably never get broken.

IowaHawkeyeChief 03-17-2024 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 17447672)

Again, based on interviews and reporting, Veach is planned out, as much as possible, 3-4 years. This is what seems to make us so much better is Coach/GM consistency.

BossChief 03-17-2024 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 17447672)

Plus restricted and ERFAs, UDFAs

These guys know what they’re doing.

Pasta Little Brioni 03-17-2024 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 17447690)
Plus restricted and ERFAs, UDFAs

These guys know what they’re doing.

And a rising cap....and options to restructure etc

pugsnotdrugs19 03-17-2024 09:00 PM

If they settle for a 3rd and some change, I think it’s pretty clear there’s reasons beyond our knowledge for the deal being pushed through. Maybe it comes out as the knee, just prioritizing other young players’ deals, cap issues, simply their belief in drafting good secondary players, etc etc.

But just as there was with Marcus Peters and Tyreek Hill, there’s always more to the story when a team makes a move that doesn’t make total and complete sense re: player value. And that’s if we care to look past the fact that other NFL teams are the ones showing the Chiefs what he’s worth right now.

When we talk about big long term extensions, I worry a little bit about what happens to Sneed if the NFL decides they’re going to emphasize defensive contact or holding entering a season as they pick stuff out every year for officials to hone in on. You know the league isn’t loving how offenses aren’t scoring as much lately. That happens, his game goes down the shitter. It’ll be worse than Jawaan Taylor’s situation.

Chief Pagan 03-17-2024 10:27 PM

If it's his knee is pushing the value down, isn't that what conditional picks are for?

A third now and then a pick next year based on his playing time?

gordonelloyd 03-17-2024 10:47 PM

Hope this gets done soon, one way, or the other, especially before the draft. Really don’t want it to turn into a Chris Jones drag out situation.

kccrow 03-17-2024 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofa King (Post 17447658)

So no, it's not easy.

So? Why are you concerned about it?

Of the free agents we have only 5 are slated to make over 1.7m this year: Sneed, Reid, Ominihu, Butker, and Toney.

With that, we're going to kick the can with Mahomes again in all likelihood, you know that much. We can cut Thuney for 10.5m

I'm guessing we try to re-sign Bolton, Creed, and Butker.

We'll see about Justin Reid. I think, by that point, they'll be comfortable with Conner and Cook as the starters and fill in with a new 3rd safety.

Trey Smith has been good at times, but not so good at others. He's a guy you'd love to bring back but if he gets stupid money then you let him walk.

I wouldn't overpay for an LB either. I wouldn't go handing Bolton 18m per or something like that. Off-ball LBs can get you production on the cheap with regularity and you can get starters on day 2 every single year.

Veach will patch the DT room around Jones with low-price FAs like he's one most seasons here. It'd be prudent to take a DT this year in the draft but I'm not worried about what he does there.

Some guys will be here not on the OTC list of 23 who are ERFAs that you get for cheap. We're not sure yet if one of those is Araiza or if he has a 3-year deal. We don't know how long Winchester was signed for. Overall though, you're looking at needing to re-sign the back half of the roster with about 80 m available to you if you want it.

And you get two draft classes to add to it. Your worries are for naught.

wazu 03-18-2024 08:23 AM

Some more contract restructure stuff. Maybe making room to keep Sneed on the tag?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Recent <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Chiefs</a> Updates<br><br>$2M of G Joe Thuney&#39;s $16M 2024 compensation is now fully guaranteed.<br><br>All $20M of RT Jawaan Taylor&#39;s 2025 compensation is now fully guaranteed.<a href="https://t.co/EhtjkpNY8J">https://t.co/EhtjkpNY8J</a></p>&mdash; Spotrac (@spotrac) <a href="https://twitter.com/spotrac/status/1769719109598478784?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 18, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

TNTEICHER 03-18-2024 08:26 AM

Quote:

If I had a dime for every player that said they wouldn't play on the tag. :rolleyes:

wazu 03-18-2024 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNTEICHER (Post 17448372)
If I had a dime for every player that said they wouldn't play on the tag. :rolleyes:

Plus Sneed never said that.

DJ's left nut 03-18-2024 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 17448362)
Some more contract restructure stuff. Maybe making room to keep Sneed on the tag?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Recent <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Chiefs</a> Updates<br><br>$2M of G Joe Thuney&#39;s $16M 2024 compensation is now fully guaranteed.<br><br>All $20M of RT Jawaan Taylor&#39;s 2025 compensation is now fully guaranteed.<a href="https://t.co/EhtjkpNY8J">https://t.co/EhtjkpNY8J</a></p>&mdash; Spotrac (@spotrac) <a href="https://twitter.com/spotrac/status/1769719109598478784?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 18, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I know Taylor's guarantees were just part of his contract; his 2025 money guaranteed at the start of the 2024 league year so it was typically reported as a 'practical guaranty'.

I suspect Thuney's was the same thing.

So I don't think there were any 'restructures' there. Just contract language triggering at the start of the league year.

raybec 4 03-18-2024 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 17448362)

I could be wrong but I don't think those were restructures. I think those were to become guaranteed by date.

wazu 03-18-2024 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17448376)
I know Taylor's guarantees were just part of his contract; his 2025 money guaranteed at the start of the 2024 league year so it was typically reported as a 'practical guaranty'.

I suspect Thuney's was the same thing.

So I don't think there were any 'restructures' there. Just contract language triggering at the start of the league year.

Ah, okay. The "Recent Updates" phrase threw me off.

pugsnotdrugs19 03-18-2024 08:41 AM

Chiefs like these rolling guarantees a lot nowadays; helps find a middle ground between players getting guaranteed money but Clark not having to escrow it all from the day of signing.

Chris Meck 03-18-2024 08:41 AM

This is nothing but positive for the team whichever way it goes.

Sneed gets to test the water and see what his market value really is, which will not be better next year at 28. So he might want to cut a long term deal here in KC, which would be in his best interest.

If he goes, we'll get draft compensation.

If he gets poor advice from his agents, he can play on the tag and try again next year, but it isn't going to go up.

BigRedChief 03-18-2024 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 17448391)
Chiefs like these rolling guarantees a lot nowadays; helps find a middle ground between players getting guaranteed money but Clark not having to escrow it all from the day of signing.

The Hunt family are the 4th richest owners in the NFL. Why do we have a cash problem?

ChiTown 03-18-2024 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 17448431)
The Hunt family are the 4th richest owners in the NFL. Why do we have a cash problem?

I assume that's a Cap Problem for the Chiefs, not a cash problem for the Hunt's.

raybec 4 03-18-2024 09:18 AM

Quote:

No one said they have a cash problem.

wazu 03-18-2024 09:20 AM

Quote:

Why does caring about cash flow mean they have cash problems? Most enterprises work to maximize profitability. If there's an option between having something sit in escrow, or earn more money elsewhere, I think most would choose the latter.

RunKC 03-18-2024 09:24 AM

If the Chiefs can get a LT in the first rd that they really like, it opens up a lot. You can easily afford Taylor and Creed and have your bookend tackles and stud C for the next 4 years

Nightfyre 03-18-2024 09:25 AM

Quote:

I didn't think any business person wants their liquidity tied up in escrow if they can avoid it. By rolling guarantees you tie up 30-50% less. Even less with Patrick's deal.