ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport is a ****ing zoo-jam packed (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=349462)

DaFace 03-03-2024 08:31 AM

Relatedly, I just signed up for Southwest's credit card to take advantage of the free companion pass for a year deal. Again, I don't love the airline, but I'm pretty sure we can get over $1k in value for that this year. Not bad for a net $0 annual fee (I make use of the credits).

scho63 03-03-2024 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 17426110)
Relatedly, I just signed up for Southwest's credit card to take advantage of the free companion pass for a year deal. Again, I don't love the airline, but I'm pretty sure we can get over $1k in value for that this year. Not bad for a net $0 annual fee (I make use of the credits).

The last two flights on American Airlines, including yesterday, the flight attendants were pushing hard to sign up for the AA credit card and were offering 60,000 bonus miles and a bunch of other perks.

They also had free bags for a period and 1 set of RT tickets if you charge anything within the first month, even a cup of coffee.

scho63 03-03-2024 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 17426104)
I wouldn't know. I'm United 1K. I don't have to line up, unlike peasants like you.

There is no way you're a United Airlines 1K. ROFL

You have no time to fly with your 200,000 posts on CP and all the time you spend in DC. You're always here.

Donger 03-03-2024 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 17426114)
There is no way you're a United Airlines 1K. ROFL

You have no time to fly with your 200,000 posts on CP and all the time you spend in DC. You're always here.

Of course I am. 68 PQF and $23,000 PQP last year, peasant. And six flights on SWA too, because I had no other decent choice.

DaFace 03-03-2024 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 17426118)
Of course I am. 68 PQF and $23,000 PQP last year, peasant. And six flights on SWA too, because I had no other decent choice.

Don't get me wrong, I like flying. I do random trips specifically to take interesting flights or visit interesting airport experiences. 68 flights in a year, though...damn. That would wear me out.

I assume you're excited about the new lounges at DEN? They were severely lacking before.

Donger 03-03-2024 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 17426123)
Don't get me wrong, I like flying. I do random trips specifically to take interesting flights or visit interesting airport experiences. 68 flights in a year, though...damn. That would wear me out.

I assume you're excited about the new lounges at DEN? They were severely lacking before.

It wore me out too. And that was "accomplished" by mid November. I didn't fly the rest of the year.

I am, yes, once they are completed. Until then, it's a cluster ****. And the new and improved West security is worse than North was. Thankfully, my brother (United GS) told me about a secret security line and it's fantastic.

DaFace 03-03-2024 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 17426128)
It wore me out too. And that was "accomplished" by mid November. I didn't fly the rest of the year.

I am, yes, once they are completed. Until then, it's a cluster ****. And the new and improved West security is worse than North was. Thankfully, my brother (United GS) told me about a secret security line and it's fantastic.

Lounges, not security. :)

But yeah, agreed on the security checkpoints. The future looks good, but kind of a pain in the meantime.

Donger 03-03-2024 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 17426151)
Lounges, not security. :)

But yeah, agreed on the security checkpoints. The future looks good, but kind of a pain in the meantime.

I know. That's why I said this:

I am, yes, once they (the lounges) are completed.

:)

But I rarely use the United Clubs anywhere, unless there's a long delay. I time things to get to the gate(s) no earlier than 30 to 45 minutes before boarding. And since I'm 1K, I don't have to worry about being last in a long line and run out of overhead space. Nice perk.

displacedinMN 03-03-2024 09:35 AM

I can see how flying a lot can be exhausting.
Had a friend that flew every Mon to chicago, stayed the week, came home Fri. ugh.

Other than that----people. Anxious people.
you are zone 5-get the **** out of the way for those of us that are zone one. Watched a couple stand up, block everyone, the whole plane filled up, they were almost the last to board. What did they gain?

Never have had a nutcase go crazy-it is just a matter of time.

Hog Rider 03-03-2024 09:48 AM

I think everyone should just wait to be last to board.

scho63 03-03-2024 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Rider (Post 17426174)
I think everyone should just wait to be last to board.

I do that when I am in the last boarding group. Wait until they are ready to close the door.

scho63 03-03-2024 09:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The fog has lifted and I can see out my hotel window.

Here is where the Chiefs will be playing on Feb 9, 2025. :D

We just had a false alarm fire drill and I had to walk down 17 floors. :eek:

scho63 03-03-2024 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 17426118)

More like a 68 IQ and a $23,000 new worth.

I think you have things mixed up again, just like all your posts in DC.

The way you bow to the government, you are the royal peasant. ROFL

Donger 03-03-2024 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 17426183)

I have to be honest. My day won't be complete until you tell the group what you had for breakfast at your hotel. Did you take pictures???

scho63 03-03-2024 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 17426196)
I have to be honest. My day won't be complete until you tell the group what you had for breakfast at your hotel. Did you take pictures???

I'll PM you a photo of the shit I took after my breakfast. :rolleyes:

Garcia Bronco 03-03-2024 10:24 AM

I am at the airport right now and I dislike everything about public traveling. I'm like John Larquette at the end of Stripes in the bunker blaming everybody for everything.

Bearcat 03-03-2024 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco (Post 17426089)
The Southwest non-assigned seating s*** is awful. And even if that was great the airline is so awful, unreliable, and trifling.

Nobody's telling you when to line up.

https://i.imgur.com/z17C03r.png

Pablo 03-03-2024 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 17426255)

LMAO LMAO LMAO

JohnnyV13 03-03-2024 10:57 AM

Wow, I flew out of there and in there Feb 7 and Feb 14 going to KC to watch the SB with my Dad, and didn't have problems like that.

Spott 03-03-2024 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 17426158)
Had a friend that flew every Mon to chicago, stayed the week, came home Fri. ugh.

you are zone 5-get the **** out of the way for those of us that are zone one. Watched a couple stand up, block everyone, the whole plane filled up, they were almost the last to board. What did they gain?

I always get on the plane last. People always try to hurry to get on the plane first as if they are getting something extra to get on first. That’s just another 20-30 minutes to be crammed on a plane with a bunch of random people.

I’ve been living that life the last 4 1/2 years. 2-3 round trip flights to godforsaken Cleveland. The flights are short(2 hours), cheap($50-60 roundtrip) and direct which makes it a lot easier. I never travel with anything more than a small backpack and I’ve had TSA precheck the whole time, which minimizes my time at the airport. It’s definitely gotten old over the years and I dread my time in Ohio, but the job is worth it. Hopefully this shit will be over this year and I can be home full-time.

I haven’t had too much drama on my flights, which is small miracle considering most of my flights are with Frontier and Spirit. The Frontier staff at the gates are assholes about bag sizes and are often harassing passengers to get them to pay extra bag fees for their carry on bags. There’s a lot of little hacks I’ve learned over the years to minimize the nuisances and make everything much smoother.

Bearcat 03-03-2024 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 17426158)

I flew a decent amount for a few years, but had optional flights home every 2 weeks domestically and every month internationally... rarely used them within the US and never used them when I flew overseas.

Some did what you describe, fly out Sunday night and back every Friday. Idiots don't really stress me out for more than the few seconds it takes to shove through a crowd or wait 5 days for someone to get off the plane, but I'd just think it's a colossal waste of time flying so much for work.... and while I've rarely had to deal with delays and so forth, obviously the more you fly, the more you're going to deal with bad weather and other delays, short or missed layovers, etc.

It's definitely a practice in patience though and I'm more laid back about the stupid shit people do now.

scho63 03-03-2024 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 17426302)
It's definitely a practice in patience though and I'm more laid back about the stupid shit people do now.

:thumb:

This is the Holy Grail of traveling but it's easier said than done at times........

Jewish Rabbi 03-03-2024 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 17426183)

How was ur hooker this morning

scho63 03-03-2024 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi (Post 17426767)
How was ur hooker this morning

Your girlfriend gave great head and only $50.

I can see why you keep her around.

Jewish Rabbi 03-03-2024 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 17426781)
Your girlfriend gave great head and only $50.

I can see why you keep her around.

She wasn’t in New Orleans

scho63 03-04-2024 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi (Post 17426800)
She wasn’t in New Orleans

That's what you think..........ROFL

scho63 03-09-2024 05:32 PM

Today I am witnessing the most ****ed up and over crowded airport situation in my life: Charlotte Airport is out of control. Cancelled flights and delays all over, all the clubs closed due to overcrowding, around 250 people in each airline service counter, no seats, thousands of people standing, hard to walk anywhere without bumping into someone, people arguing, so many people on spring break with kids and tons of shit like stollers, toys and other crap all over.

What a complete disaster.

I need more alcohol.

Why Not? 03-09-2024 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 17434003)
Today I am witnessing the most ****ed up and over crowded airport situation in my life: Charlotte Airport is out of control. Cancelled flights and delays all over, all the clubs closed due to overcrowding, around 250 people in each airline service counter, no seats, thousands of people standing, hard to walk anywhere without bumping into someone, people arguing, so many people on spring break with kids and tons of shit like stollers, toys and other crap all over.

I need more alcohol.

Today was a total travel shit show. East coast and Florida weather ****ing everyone. We flew out of KC early and still sat on the runway in Chicago for 2 hours before finally getting to Miami. My buddy and his family had a flight out 40 minutes after us…..flight got cancelled. He may have to charter a private jet to get here in time to join us on the cruise we are going on. Other buddy got delayed out of Sky Harbor for 8 hours…..with his 2 year old. Just a nightmare. Cruise ship gonna sink tomorrow with our luck so far.

displacedinMN 03-09-2024 08:22 PM

Welcome to spring break and basketball tourney travel

RealSNR 03-09-2024 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 17426255)

I've said this before, but I'll board with the last group, thank you very much.

Every minute I don't have to spend in a cramped tube is extremely valuable to me. Especially the minutes where fat people put their crotches next to your face while they play bag tetris in the overhead compartment.

Jewish Rabbi 03-09-2024 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 17434003)

I need more alcohol.

Taking a break from my normal hooker comments to verify that Charlotte is the worst airport in the country and I won’t be accepting counter arguments.

crispystl 03-09-2024 08:42 PM

I flew out of Sky Harbor to Charlotte on Thursday and made it by THIIIIIIISSSSS much.
When I landed in Charlotte it was the biggest shit show I've ever seen. Just unreal.

Chief Roundup 03-09-2024 10:14 PM

Flying will never be as good as it was pre-9/11.

scho63 03-09-2024 10:55 PM

Sitting on the runway at Sky Harbor cause we have no available gates to dock. Soooooooo close to getting home.

Thank God I was in business class for last two flights and had extra room. I never wanted to leave the terminal and get on the plane more than today in Charlotte. :doh!:

Rain Man 03-09-2024 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi (Post 17434195)
Taking a break from my normal hooker comments to verify that Charlotte is the worst airport in the country and I won’t be accepting counter arguments.

That can't be right. They have a barbecue restaurant there.

Jewish Rabbi 03-09-2024 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 17434461)
That can't be right. They have a barbecue restaurant there.

When I ordered a Dr Pepper they asked if Pepsi was alright

crispystl 03-10-2024 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 17434456)
Sitting on the runway at Sky Harbor cause we have no available gates to dock. Soooooooo close to getting home.

Thank God I was in business class for last two flights and had extra room. I never wanted to leave the terminal and get on the plane more than today in Charlotte. :doh!:

I bet man. I feel for you. There's nothing worse.
When we were completely boarded and about to leave Phoenix they got on the intercom and say "we apologize everyone" and I thought Oh ****, but they said there was lightening so the ground crew had to go indoors for 25 minutes. I thought for sure they were going to de-board us.

Donger 03-10-2024 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 17434456)

THANKS FOR LETTING US KNOW!!! And I'm SO glad that you were in BUSINESS CLASS!!!

Pablo 03-10-2024 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 17434834)
THANKS FOR LETTING US KNOW!!! And I'm SO glad that you were in BUSINESS CLASS!!!

This is the ****Official Scho Is On A Flight Thread**** now, thank you for caring.

LagunaSWana 03-10-2024 10:06 AM

Orlando has been an absolute shit show since yesterday. There was a storm that effectively cut off Florida from the rest of the country so planes couldn't get in. My 5:00pm got pushed to 7:30, which made me miss my connection in Austin to San Diego. Then that was canceled and I was booked on a 6:05 to Albuquerque which was then canceled. Got rebooked on a 11:00am today, barely found a hotel room and now my 11:00 has been delayed until 1:39 which again is making me miss my connection in Austin. So they rebooked me out of Austin to San Diego on a 9:15pm which means I get to spend almost 6 hours in Austin on a layover.

I just stood in a line for over an hour to check my bag, praying ATC stops playing musical chairs with my flight. The departure time has changed no less than 10 times since I left for the airport at 9:45 this morning.

Just get me the hell out of Orlando to ANY other city so I can get home.

Donger 03-10-2024 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 17434846)
This is the ****Official Scho Is On A Flight Thread**** now, thank you for caring.

Sure. But aren't you glad that he let us know that he was in business class, and therefore didn't suffer uncontrollably?

Donger 03-10-2024 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LagunaSWana (Post 17434851)
Orlando has been an absolute shit show since yesterday. There was a storm that effectively cut off Florida from the rest of the country so planes couldn't get in. My 5:00pm got pushed to 7:30, which made me miss my connection in Austin to San Diego. Then that was canceled and I was booked on a 6:05 to Albuquerque which was then canceled. Got rebooked on a 11:00am today, barely found a hotel room and now my 11:00 has been delayed until 1:39 which again is making me miss my connection in Austin. So they rebooked me out of Austin to San Diego on a 9:15pm which means I get to spend almost 6 hours in Austin on a layover.

I just stood in a line for over an hour to check my bag, praying ATC stops playing musical chairs with my flight. The departure time has changed no less than 10 times since I left for the airport at 9:45 this morning.

I fly mostly in the west but had a trade show in MCO week before last. That is one ****ed up airport. The signage is a cluster**** and security was worse than DEN.

Thankfully, I got a FIRST CLASS upgrade on the flight home so I survived. I forgot to tell everyone until today.

Pablo 03-10-2024 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 17434867)
Sure. But aren't you glad that he let us know that he was in business class, and therefore didn't suffer uncontrollably?

Of course. It also lets me know he was out and about doing business.

LagunaSWana 03-10-2024 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 17434869)
I fly mostly in the west but had a trade show in MCO week before last. That is one ****ed up airport. The signage is a cluster**** and security was worse than DEN.

Thankfully, I got a FIRST CLASS upgrade on the flight home so I survived. I forgot to tell everyone until today.

On top of everything else, the wifi is slow as molasses. There are two flights listed as going out of gate 121 and the gate agent just got on the intercom and said, "I'm gonna give the most honest answer I can. I don't know NUTHIN!"

She then said that the next flight out of that gate is to Austin (the other one was Houston). So as of NOW, we should be boarding soon. PTL!

RealSNR 03-10-2024 11:17 AM

Spent $100 on pretzals and booze in the SkyClub

Jewish Rabbi 03-10-2024 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 17434929)

Only $98. Mighty Mike got a $2 tip

Spott 03-10-2024 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LagunaSWana (Post 17434851)

Interesting. I flew out of Orlando on Thursday and back in on Friday afternoon with no issues from Cleveland. I assume this storm was out West somewhere because the weather here has been perfect.

ChiliConCarnage 03-10-2024 12:29 PM

Year mums been jam packed

scho63 03-10-2024 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 17434846)

:thumb:

And don't ever forget it. ;)

Rain Man 03-10-2024 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi (Post 17434462)
When I ordered a Dr Pepper they asked if Pepsi was alright

Dang NASCAR swilling airport.

scho63 03-10-2024 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 17434929)

Not yesterday but I did spend $522 with tip on dinner Friday night in Chesapeake for 3 of us.

Thought some of you would want to know that.

scho63 03-10-2024 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 17435069)
Dang NASCAR swilling airport.

I did not see Mellow Yellow or Mountain Dew so could not confirm full NASCAR status.

Donger 03-10-2024 01:34 PM

Just checked in for my flight to California on the "United App." There are two people ahead of me on the Fist Class upgrade list and only two seats left.

Just thought you all would like to know.

RealSNR 03-10-2024 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 17435079)
Just checked in for my flight to California on the "United App." There are two people ahead of me on the Fist Class upgrade list and only two seats left.

Couldn’t bear to spring for a Delta flight, could ya?

scho63 03-10-2024 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 17435079)

Did you preorder your tea and crumpets?

Donger 03-10-2024 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 17435145)
Did you preorder your tea and crumpets?

That just popped up on the app, actually. But I don't preorder anything. I just order my free snack and wine on the plane since I'm 1K.

Bowser 03-10-2024 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi (Post 17434938)
Only $98. Mighty Mike got a $2 tip

GET A LOAD OF THE HIGH ROLLER SWINGING HIS DICK AT THE AIRPORT

Bowser 03-10-2024 02:38 PM

Ok, for the frequent traveler -

Which airline is your go-to, and why? I think I'm a fan of American, but I don't travel enough to say absolutely. I've had good experiences on both United and Delta also, but I'm usually a Southwest or Frontier pissant with my occasional travels. I wouldn't mind locking down on an airline and using their perks from their CC's as DerFace suggests/recommends.

Donger 03-10-2024 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 17435169)

Which airline is your go-to, and why? I think I'm a fan of American, but I don't travel enough to say absolutely. I've had good experiences on both United and Delta also, but I'm usually a Southwest or Frontier pissant with my occasional travels. I wouldn't mind locking down on an airline and using their perks from their CC's as DerFace suggests/recommends.

United because Denver is a hub. It's that simple. If DEN were a Delta or American hub, I'd pick one of them.

Southwest now has a large presence at DEN too but I hate flying them mostly because of no seat assignment. I used to fly Frontier until about 12 years ago when they switched to low cost carrier and slowly started taking away all the perks.

Bowser 03-10-2024 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 17435181)
United because Denver is a hub. It's that simple. If DEN were a Delta or American hub, I'd pick one of them.

Southwest now has a large presence at DEN too but I hate flying them mostly because of no seat assignment. I used to fly Frontier until about 12 years ago when they switched to low cost carrier and slowly started taking away all the perks.

Didn't Frontier and Jet Blue attempt a merger that was cockblocked by the FAA(?) not too long ago? That might have been a good deal for the consumer.

I grew up a TWA brat, and having an airline hub in your hometown is a bonus. I don't believe anybody calls KC home any longer.

Donger 03-10-2024 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 17435231)
Didn't Frontier and Jet Blue attempt a merger that was cockblocked by the FAA(?) not too long ago? That might have been a good deal for the consumer.

I grew up a TWA brat, and having an airline hub in your hometown is a bonus. I don't believe anybody calls KC home any longer.

I don't know.

Bowser 03-10-2024 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 17435242)
I don't know.

It was JetBlue and Spirit

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...it/ar-BB1jiWbx

Donger 03-10-2024 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 17435257)

I once flew Spirit from Fort Lauderdale to the USVI because United didn't fly there then. Once. I'm just over six feet, and my legs were spread apart wider than BEP's in front of Putin.

Bowser 03-10-2024 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 17435279)
I once flew Spirit from Fort Lauderdale to the USVI because United didn't fly there then. Once. I'm just over six feet, and my legs were spread apart wider than BEP's in front of Putin.

LMAO

Had a guy's trip to Vegas just before Covid and flew Spirit out there (non-stop). Three of us stood back in the back most of the flight drinking beers and playing grab ass with the flight attendants. That was a fun flight, even if one of the guys had his luggage show up a day late.

scho63 03-10-2024 03:24 PM

Quote:

Which airline is your go-to, and why? .

1. Tie - American
1. Tie - United
3. Delta
4. Southwest - Only when forced when no other choices left

NEVER fly Frontier or Spirit. No one traveling for business should. Too unpredictable.

Phoenix is my hub and the routes I fly the most often match AA and UA. Delta not so much.

I like the Airbus planes of AA and the service seems a slight notch above United.

I used to fly exclusively on United in the 90's and 00's and was elite status for about 6 years straight. I also used them from Newark to Tokyo, Hong Kong and Beijing.

The airport clubs of AA and UA are similar but they are no longer exclusive and always overcrowded with shit food. You need to enter international airlines clubs to see real high end experience and comfort. I'm not sure I have ever been in Delta's club.

Singapore Airlines is on a whole other level, both the flights and clubs.

Lufthansa and British Airlines are also nice but haven't been on any of these in many years.

Qantas and Swiss Air very good.

Perks are hard to tell the difference as they are all close with a few unique things for all top tier fliers. The airline branded credit cards are also huge these days.

As someone posted prior, flying in 2024 is much worse than pre-9/11

scho63 03-10-2024 03:40 PM

Also very important: the FAA publishes on websites the ontime status of all flights in US.

Helps to know which airlines and which specific routes have the best/worst ontime percentages.

Spott 03-10-2024 03:53 PM

Quote:

I actually use Frontier and Spirit almost exclusively, but it’s because I’m paying for the flights. I also used to use Allegiant until they stopped flying out of the airport I used. My flights are usually between $25-35 each way, but I never take luggage and only need a small backpack. Both of these airlines(especially Frontier) will try to nickel and dime you by charging for carry on bags, moving seats, priority boarding, etc.

I haven’t had any problems with these airlines for the most part, although the clientele is a little Dollar Generalish. If I was going on a vacation and packing a lot of luggage I’d probably take Delta or something like that, even though those ****ers lost my luggage the last time I flew with them. I just use the airlines like public transportation at this point.

Jewish Rabbi 03-10-2024 03:59 PM

I try to avoid Allegiant/Spirit/Frontier but I would rather deal with them on a direct flight than have a layover with anyone.

Spott 03-10-2024 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi (Post 17435343)
I try to avoid Allegiant/Spirit/Frontier but I would rather deal with them on a direct flight than have a layover with anyone.

Yeah, that’s where I’m at. **** layovers. I also only book one way flights individually instead of round trip, which gives me more control over my travel when cancellations/delays happen.

DaFace 03-10-2024 04:38 PM

Quote:

It's more about who has the routes you want than who has the "best" airline, IMO. I like Delta, but they don't hub out of Denver like United does, so I've never had a Delta credit card.

If you decide to chase international travel rewards, you're generally better off with a travel card with transfer partners (e.g., Chase Sapphire or C1 Venture) rather than an airline specific card. That said, I do both for the sign up bonuses.

Donger 03-10-2024 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spott (Post 17435392)
Yeah, that’s where I’m at. **** layovers. I also only book one way flights individually instead of round trip, which gives me more control over my travel when cancellations/delays happen.

I know a guy who "segment hunts" because he only flies once or maybe twice a month, but wants to the get the PQFs on United to get to Platinum. Crazy ****er routinely flies to SAN from DEN via LAX, so he gets 4 PQFs per trip. And there are about eight directs to SAN from DEN every day.

displacedinMN 03-10-2024 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 17435436)
I know a guy who "segment hunts" because he only flies once or maybe twice a month, but wants to the get the PQFs on United to get to Platinum. Crazy ****er routinely flies to SAN from DEN via LAX, so he gets 4 PQFs per trip. And there are about eight directs to SAN from DEN every day.

OMG what a waste of time.

Rain Man 03-10-2024 04:53 PM

Quote:

For the most part, I find all airlines to be the same - not very pleasant, but necessary. Well, except for Frontier, which is on my permanent boycott list because they're a sleazeball garbage company who will steal from you at any opportunity.

I was loyal to Southwest for several years, when I was flying a lot. They always had the best prices and were reliable. Then I had an international trip scheduled when the Covid shutdown happened, and I had purchased United tickets since Southwest didn't fly there. United treated me really well, and they seemed to turn around their customer service to actually be nice to passengers, which is a unique thing among airlines. Simultaneously, I'd recently had a minor unpleasant experience on Southwest, so I gave United another shot and liked them. Now United is generally my first choice, even if they're a little pricier than Southwest.

As others have mentioned, though, United has a hub in Denver, so they're an easy choice to make since they go nonstop almost anywhere. That plays a big role.

Donger 03-10-2024 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 17435453)
OMG what a waste of time.

It's actually not that bad. An hour layover and then a 25 minute flight to SAN from LAX. I've done it a few times. But yeah, no. All my flights last year were direct except one PQF from Monterey to LAX and then home, but that was because I had to.

Spott 03-10-2024 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 17435467)
It's actually not that bad. An hour layover and then a 25 minute flight to SAN from LAX. I've done it a few times. But yeah, no. All my flights last year were direct except one PQF from Monterey to LAX and then home, but that was because I had to.

It just seems like you’re just asking to get stuck in another airport if you purposely add flights like that. I guess if you don’t mind the layovers it’s not so bad, but eventually you’ll find yourself stuck sleeping overnight in an airport by doing that. United Platinum members must get free in-flight handjobs the way I’ve seen people chase those points.

Donger 03-10-2024 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spott (Post 17435476)
It just seems like you’re just asking to get stuck in another airport if you purposely add flights like that. I guess if you don’t mind the layovers it’s not so bad, but eventually you’ll find yourself stuck sleeping overnight in an airport by doing that. United Platinum members must get free in-flight handjobs the way I’ve seen people chase those points.

Oh it absolutely is. And he routinely gets stuck at LAX. A 58 minute layover is really pushing it at LAX.

And no, Platinum just gets you Group 1 boarding along with Gold. It's basically a prettier Gold with a few other perks. 1K is actually pretty cool, but LOTS of flights. I don't want to make it again this year, but I've already done 16 PQFs and about $8K in PQPs so it looks like I will.

Hilton Lifetime Diamond is also pretty good, but when I learned how I got that status, I basically just stared at the welcome kit...

scho63 03-10-2024 05:58 PM

I really think with the amount of wealth in the US, an airline like American or United could create business class only airplanes and do quite well with them.

Over 21 years old only, free drinks and a meal on flights, coat closets for suit jackets and special perks for that segment.

There is one in France and that is the only one.

displacedinMN 03-10-2024 06:22 PM

layovers stink

Once to get to Ontario, CA.
MPLS to Dallas. Layover 2 hrs, Flew over Palm springs to Ontario.

Rain Man 03-10-2024 06:39 PM

My question these days is, do you avoid the Boeing Max planes?

I think the bolt thing was just a dumb one-off error. The software stuff that caused the two crashes is a lot scarier.

I've been avoiding the Max planes where possible, but of course United uses them and they're my general airline right now. I have a flight at some point where the Max planes might be the only choice, and I'm not sure if I'll give up the miles and go with another airline.

Donger 03-10-2024 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 17435589)
My question these days is, do you avoid the Boeing Max planes?

I think the bolt thing was just a dumb one-off error. The software stuff that caused the two crashes is a lot scarier.

I've been avoiding the Max planes where possible, but of course United uses them and they're my general airline right now. I have a flight at some point where the Max planes might be the only choice, and I'm not sure if I'll give up the miles and go with another airline.

I canceled a trip that was scheduled on a Max 9 a month ago but they were also still grounded. But I'm on one tomorrow. And no, it wasn't just a complete one-off. They found multiple planes with the same issue albeit not having NO bolts. Just loose ones.

Alaska Airlines CEO says loose bolts found on 'many' planes
The CEO of Alaska Airlines has ripped Boeing in the wake of the recent near-disaster, revealing that loose bolts were found on “many” of the company's 737 MAX 9 planes. CEO Ben Minicucci said that a new in-house inspection of the Boeing model in the fleet has uncovered that “many” of the planes had loose bolts.

United Airlines has found loose door plug bolts on at least five of the Boeing 737 Max 9 planes, as airlines begin inspecting planes following the Federal Aviation Administration’s temporary grounding order.

The loose bolts were found during initial inspections of what is known as the “mid-cabin door plug” partway down the fuselage of the 737-9, according to maintenance logs viewed by Skift.

“LH Mid Cabin Emergency Exit Door Plug, Upper Forward Guide Fitting, Lower Attach Bolts (2 ea.) are loose,” reads one of the reports, which was dated January 8.

I do actively look for flights that are Airbus now, but it doesn't always work out. Their seats hurt my back but that's better than being blown out of an airplane.