ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers Windows 11 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=338704)

hometeam 06-28-2021 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedingRed (Post 15723812)
Its a chip on most business grade computers for encryption. And yes it is needed in almost all business cases.

So the fact they are (windows 11) forcing the issue is major when it comes to supply. Because right now there shit all when it comes to laptops/desktops supply.

Windows 11 is already shaping up to be a disaster.

Windows 10 will still be usable and updated for the next 5 years.

Fish 06-28-2021 08:44 PM

There will be multiple ways to bypass the TPM requirement. I wouldn't be surprised if they changed the requirements again before release. But they might not. TPM is very useful for admins and organizations. The ones who actually pay Microsoft lots of money...

You’ll be able to bypass Windows 11 TPM 2.0 requirement

Otter 06-29-2021 09:57 AM

Microsoft: Excuse me handsome young varsity captain of the football team. Would you mind making sure no one fondles my 30 year junior wife while she chooses which panties fit her best as I run an errand for 1 hour?

Linux: No sir, I wouldn't. Take your time.

CoMoChief 06-30-2021 09:42 PM

There hasn't been a good Windows OS since XP.

hometeam 07-01-2021 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 15727446)

https://media3.giphy.com/media/SiGe0...giphy.gif&ct=g

DaneMcCloud 07-01-2021 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 15727446)

Windows 3.1 is my favorite

htismaqe 07-02-2021 10:11 AM

https://external-content.duckduckgo....gif&f=1&nofb=1

DaneMcCloud 07-02-2021 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15729030)

LMAO LMAO LMAO

DaneMcCloud 07-02-2021 11:13 AM

XP and Vista were so bad for Pro Audio that I actually switched to a Mac G5 for a few years.

Windows 7-10 have been extremely stable but wow, XP and Vista were just absolute garbage.

crayzkirk 07-02-2021 11:24 AM

So, I have an old Phenom II X6 computer that I run Windows 10 on. I'm certain that this old computer doesn't have the TPM hardware on it. In fact, this is the most modern computer that I own. 8GB DDR2, HD7850, 1GB HD, no SSD. I have a laptop from work which is much more modern.

Keep wanting to upgrade to a Ryzen 5600X however don't need the speed as I don't play FPS type games after burning out on Quake, Doom and Duke3D.

Half of them are having the dreaded Windows Update failure. DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and sfc /scannow seem to repair it for several months. I know at some point, AMD and MS are going to stop supporting this hardware.

So, WTF is TPM?

Chief Pagan 07-02-2021 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15729030)

So I read that Windows 11 is replacing the Blue Screen of Death with..

The Black Screen of Death...

No doubt that will make people feel better. I don't get the death screen as frequently as I used to but I have gotten it several times in the last six months.

There is some combination between Visual Studio/Intel/and my software that the operating system doesn't seem thrilled about.

Chief Pagan 07-02-2021 10:47 PM

But we are talking about Microsoft where quality is job 1.1

Fish 07-03-2021 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crayzkirk (Post 15729162)
So, I have an old Phenom II X6 computer that I run Windows 10 on. I'm certain that this old computer doesn't have the TPM hardware on it. In fact, this is the most modern computer that I own. 8GB DDR2, HD7850, 1GB HD, no SSD. I have a laptop from work which is much more modern.

Keep wanting to upgrade to a Ryzen 5600X however don't need the speed as I don't play FPS type games after burning out on Quake, Doom and Duke3D.

Half of them are having the dreaded Windows Update failure. DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and sfc /scannow seem to repair it for several months. I know at some point, AMD and MS are going to stop supporting this hardware.

So, WTF is TPM?

LMAO....

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/CaninePoin...el-max-1mb.gif

scho63 07-03-2021 11:25 AM

Satya Nadella has done a great job guiding Microsoft.

vailpass 07-03-2021 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 15729739)

Hell raiser rep.

Discuss Thrower 07-03-2021 07:10 PM

98SE or GTFO

crayzkirk 07-05-2021 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 15729739)

I'm not so sure I want to know... more of the safe boot garbage?

eDave 08-28-2021 05:45 AM

Microsoft won’t stop you installing Windows 11 on older PCs

Microsoft is announcing today that it won’t block people from installing Windows 11 on most older PCs. While the software maker has recommended hardware requirements for Windows 11 — which it’s largely sticking to — a restriction to install the OS will only be enforced when you try to upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11 through Windows Update. This means anyone with a PC with an older CPU that doesn’t officially pass the upgrade test can still go ahead and download an ISO file of Windows 11 and install the OS manually.

https://www.theverge.com/22644194/mi...essors-changes

Beef Supreme 08-28-2021 07:21 AM

**** I just upgraded to 10 a few months ago.

BryanBusby 08-28-2021 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 15804338)
Microsoft won’t stop you installing Windows 11 on older PCs

Microsoft is announcing today that it won’t block people from installing Windows 11 on most older PCs. While the software maker has recommended hardware requirements for Windows 11 — which it’s largely sticking to — a restriction to install the OS will only be enforced when you try to upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11 through Windows Update. This means anyone with a PC with an older CPU that doesn’t officially pass the upgrade test can still go ahead and download an ISO file of Windows 11 and install the OS manually.

https://www.theverge.com/22644194/mi...essors-changes

That's butt ****ing stupid, which is completely on brand for MS as of late. At least they are backing off the requirement.

Should be doing a clean install anyhow.

Boon 08-31-2021 08:13 AM

Has any one used Crucial Scan? It will tell you how much memory you have and how muc
h you can add. Link is https://www.crucial.com/store/systemscanner

BleedingRed 08-31-2021 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 15805113)
That's butt ****ing stupid, which is completely on brand for MS as of late. At least they are backing off the requirement.

Should be doing a clean install anyhow.

Windows 11 I expect will be a huge resource hog. It's 100% going to be their most bloated OS to date.

Rip any machines below 8gigs....

Fish 09-10-2021 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedingRed (Post 15808542)
Windows 11 I expect will be a huge resource hog. It's 100% going to be their most bloated OS to date.

Rip any machines below 8gigs....

Whatever you post, regardless of topic, one can always bet on the opposite being true...

Microsoft Details How It Made Windows 11 Faster Than Windows 10

Windows 11 has an improved resource management system - there are now higher priority levels attributed to foreground functions (essentially, the program window you're currently focused on), reducing the amount of processing power that's eaten up by background processes.

This prioritization of the work that matters to the user at that precise moment in time also extends to browsers, which are notorious resource hogs in any system: Windows now has improved its ability to pause inactive tabs, thus reducing the amount of system resources demanded from the underlying system - and improving performance on your active tab. The improvements here are nothing to scoff at: Steve Dispensa says the system can have 32% less memory usage and reduce CPU utilization by 37% due to this new tab sleeping function.

Microsoft has also optimized the code that calls hardware functions, reducing the delay between user input and the actual instruction being carried out in hardware, thereby reducing idle time and improving user-perceived responsiveness. This also has a knock-on effect on memory usage and overall performance: optimized instructions reduce memory footprint and improve resource handling from idle to active states.

Microsoft also deployed newer compression techniques that reduced overall OS disk usage, and extended this technique to Windows 11's update functions. Due to the new update engine in Windows 11, Microsoft promises that updates won't require as many resources as they currently do. They'll also have feature performance handling and smarter, faster update delivery that reduces the overall size of the Windows update by 40%.

BleedingRed 09-11-2021 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 15823031)
Whatever you post, regardless of topic, one can always bet on the opposite being true...

Microsoft Details How It Made Windows 11 Faster Than Windows 10

Windows 11 has an improved resource management system - there are now higher priority levels attributed to foreground functions (essentially, the program window you're currently focused on), reducing the amount of processing power that's eaten up by background processes.

This prioritization of the work that matters to the user at that precise moment in time also extends to browsers, which are notorious resource hogs in any system: Windows now has improved its ability to pause inactive tabs, thus reducing the amount of system resources demanded from the underlying system - and improving performance on your active tab. The improvements here are nothing to scoff at: Steve Dispensa says the system can have 32% less memory usage and reduce CPU utilization by 37% due to this new tab sleeping function.

Microsoft has also optimized the code that calls hardware functions, reducing the delay between user input and the actual instruction being carried out in hardware, thereby reducing idle time and improving user-perceived responsiveness. This also has a knock-on effect on memory usage and overall performance: optimized instructions reduce memory footprint and improve resource handling from idle to active states.

Microsoft also deployed newer compression techniques that reduced overall OS disk usage, and extended this technique to Windows 11's update functions. Due to the new update engine in Windows 11, Microsoft promises that updates won't require as many resources as they currently do. They'll also have feature performance handling and smarter, faster update delivery that reduces the overall size of the Windows update by 40%.

You are a ****ing moron I literally work in IT......

BleedingRed 09-11-2021 11:29 AM

God damn you are dumb please just know you are a ****ing reerun.

Fish 09-11-2021 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedingRed (Post 15823653)
You are a ****ing moron I literally work in IT......

Emptying trash cans maybe.

BleedingRed 09-11-2021 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 15823665)
Emptying trash cans maybe.

Lmao

Nah meeting with Microsoft’s executive development team shit like that. You are ****ing reeruned and have no clue what you are talking about.

“Hur dur it’s going to be faster that what the marketing material sent out said”

Jesus Christ,

Do you want me to explain why you are a ****ing reerun or should we just leave it at you are wrong?

Fish 09-11-2021 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedingRed (Post 15823669)
Lmao

Nah meeting with Microsoft’s executive development team shit like that. You are ****ing reeruned and have no clue what you are talking about.

“Hur dur it’s going to be faster that what the marketing material sent out said”

Jesus Christ,

Do you want me to explain why you are a ****ing reerun or should we just leave it at you are wrong?

Yeah, sure. I bet you're having coffee with Bill next week...

Meanwhile, only one of us has actually downloaded and installed Windows 11. That much is clearly apparent. You're talking out your ass like you do in every thread.

BleedingRed 09-12-2021 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 15824494)
Yeah, sure. I bet you're having coffee with Bill next week...

Meanwhile, only one of us has actually downloaded and installed Windows 11. That much is clearly apparent. You're talking out your ass like you do in every thread.

Lmao ok!

You are ****ing stupid and we can just leave it at that! As a Microsoft GOLD partner and CSP, I wouldn’t know much right?

Thousands of licensing deals and actual real world certifications fro. MS-900 to MS-100 along with ITILv4 etc...

Nah downloading a cracked version that had CPU utilization issues totally makes you a expert!

Just remember kids the minimum specs for windows 11 is 8th gen CPUs! Cause you know it’s slimmer and faster after all!

hometeam 09-12-2021 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedingRed (Post 15824786)
Lmao ok!

You are ****ing stupid and we can just leave it at that! As a Microsoft GOLD partner and CSP, I wouldn’t know much right?

Thousands of licensing deals and actual real world certifications fro. MS-900 to MS-100 along with ITILv4 etc...

Nah downloading a cracked version that had CPU utilization issues totally makes you a expert!

Just remember kids the minimum specs for windows 11 is 8th gen CPUs! Cause you know it’s slimmer and faster after all!

It remains to be seen if either of you are right, but lets be intellectually honest if you are going to present an argument.

The specs are as such because of instruction capabilities of the CPU, not the processing power it takes to run it.

Fish 09-12-2021 11:09 AM

Quote:

Lmao ok!

LMAO no that doesn't really mean much with regards to IT knowledge...

Quote:

Cracked version with CPU utilization issues? See, another indication of how ****ing clueless you are. There's no need for an insider preview of Win11 to be cracked. It's not necessary because it currently doesn't require a license. You have no clue WTF you're talking about.

Win11 runs better than Win10. The improvements are no joke. I can see it with my own eyes because I've actually installed it... clown....

eDave 09-13-2021 04:36 AM

We compairing our IT cocks now?

https://i.makeagif.com/media/7-14-2017/ly5o_F.gif

Otter 09-13-2021 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 15829584)

We are not afraid of tangents on ChiefsPlanet.

<div class="tenor-gif-embed" data-postid="15907114" data-share-method="host" data-aspect-ratio="1.40351" data-width="100%"><a href="https://tenor.com/view/white-women-gif-15907114">White Women GIF</a>from <a href="https://tenor.com/search/white-gifs">White GIFs</a></div> <script type="text/javascript" async src="https://tenor.com/embed.js"></script>

lewdog 09-13-2021 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 15829584)

I'm not.

Mine's microscopic.

eDave 11-01-2021 08:11 PM

I updated as soon as it was available. I moved the start back to the left and the rest is no real changes IMO. However, it's adding a lot of stress and heat to my processor and my browser (Edge, FFS) won't hold cache. Every load or refresh goes to the webpage I was on when I upgraded. Longer boot time too which isn't a big deal for me except the first time it scared me a bit that my laptop was ****ed.

Gravedigger 11-01-2021 08:54 PM

Yeah just more cosmetic than anything, but it's nice. Looks cleaner and brighter.

eDave 11-01-2021 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 15831987)
I'm not.

Mine's microscopic.

What makes you smarter than the rest is you ask the experts before ****ing it up further for yourself.

Fish 11-01-2021 10:04 PM

Running pretty well for me so far. Going to install on my M1 Macbook Pro next...

eDave 11-02-2021 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravedigger (Post 15927054)
Yeah just more cosmetic than anything, but it's nice. Looks cleaner and brighter.

The entire took like 10 minutes. This is no more than a point release. I'll probably roll back.

Pablo 11-02-2021 08:08 AM

Do we know if BreedingRed or Fish was correct yet? That's the most important part of this thread for me.

Fish 11-02-2021 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 15928621)
Do we know if BreedingRed or Fish was correct yet? That's the most important part of this thread for me.

Lots of benchmarks available now. Wanna take a guess?

Spoiler!

Pablo 11-02-2021 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 15929086)
Lots of benchmarks available now. Wanna take a guess?

Spoiler!

I dunno, he LITERALLY WORKS IN IT. Those are some big nuts he's swinging.

BryanBusby 11-04-2021 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 15926309)
I updated as soon as it was available. I moved the start back to the left and the rest is no real changes IMO. However, it's adding a lot of stress and heat to my processor and my browser (Edge, FFS) won't hold cache. Every load or refresh goes to the webpage I was on when I upgraded. Longer boot time too which isn't a big deal for me except the first time it scared me a bit that my laptop was ****ed.

I have not touched W11 yet but what a blessing it would be if they somehow killed off Fast Boot.

Fish 11-04-2021 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedingRed (Post 15721568)
.......... I guess you don't pay attention to Microsoft **** ups.

A) Windows 11 will be a resource hog and they still cant get HDR to work right on Window 10

B) Microsoft has a storied history with **** ups when it comes to updates/upgrades. Including ****ing baking in open back doors to their own software.

C) Window 11 is doomed to fail, its tradition... Every other OS has sucked balls, and bringing back and pushing widgets is ****ing reeruned.

Window 98 > Windows ME > Window XP > Windows Vista > Windows 7 > Windows 8 > Windows 10 > (We are here) Windows 11

Psssst... You're a ****ing moron.... Mr. "I'm in IT, but hey do you guys have any recommendations on video editing apps?"

<iframe width="1200" height="760" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8I9f7GOTV5E" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BleedingRed 11-05-2021 09:54 AM

LMAO,

Lets check bench marks vs 7th Gen CPU's.....

oh how's the memory leak going?
https://www.pcgamer.com/windows-11-f...mory-leak-bug/

https://icdn.digitaltrends.com/image...er-768x768.jpg

BleedingRed 11-05-2021 09:58 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Mg5xJtmCZbI" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hammock Parties 11-05-2021 10:39 AM

The new UI just turns me off every time I remote into a customer's machine and they have this shit installed.

BleedingRed 11-05-2021 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 15935556)
The new UI just turns me off every time I remote into a customer's machine and they have this shit installed.

Wait till they start accidently key stroking a VM and lose all their work... That will be fun to explain.

DaFace 11-05-2021 01:49 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o6Mb5...kwTu/giphy.gif

Fish 11-05-2021 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedingRed (Post 15935455)
LMAO,

Lets check bench marks vs 7th Gen CPU's.....

oh how's the memory leak going?
https://www.pcgamer.com/windows-11-f...mory-leak-bug/

While you can manually install Win11 on a 7th gen Intel CPU, it's not officially supported by Microsoft. Upgrade your shitty old hardware. The file explorer memory leak has already been patched. That was from over a month ago.

Gravedigger 11-05-2021 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 15935556)

That's why you tell them that they haven't released a remote client that works with Windows 11 yet, easy peasy.

Hammock Parties 11-05-2021 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedingRed (Post 15935699)
Wait till they start accidently key stroking a VM and lose all their work... That will be fun to explain.

ROFL

"YOU TOLD US THERE WERE NO ISSUES WITH WINDOWS 11"

"Hi there! That is true. There aren't any issues with the application running on Windows 11. However, Windows 11 does introduce some features that might cause problems for you if the OS is improperly used. You might be more comfortable in a Windows 10 environment, especially since we didn't tell your dumb ass to upgrade."

Hammock Parties 11-05-2021 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravedigger (Post 15936899)
That's why you tell them that they haven't released a remote client that works with Windows 11 yet, easy peasy.

I would love to do that but they would be absolutely furious with me when they discovered my co-worker could remote in just fine. LMAO

Fish 11-05-2021 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 15936129)

Me: https://c.tenor.com/8ZDLU43omvcAAAAC/kid-thumbs-up.gif

GloryDayz 03-02-2022 08:46 PM

Just started getting the "your system will run better on Win11" sorts of messages. Anybody taken the leap? If so, was it worth it? Win10 has been SOLID on all my devices so I'm stuck between "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and "it'll make things better"... Ugh!

BryanBusby 03-02-2022 08:49 PM

You answered your own question.

"if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

We're a ways out before W10 is no longer supported.

displacedinMN 03-02-2022 08:58 PM

I am getting--this device will not support win 11.

I am due for a new laptop anyway. My wife has not upgraded hers yet.

Chief Pagan 03-02-2022 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 16172488)
Just started getting the "your system will run better on Win11" sorts of messages. Anybody taken the leap? If so, was it worth it? Win10 has been SOLID on all my devices so I'm stuck between "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and "it'll make things better"... Ugh!

I have a new Surface that came with Windows 11 and it seems..., fine.

Honestly haven't really noticed that much better or worse. Although my main desktop is certainly capable of running Windows 11, haven't seen a big reason to switch from 10 to 11 on it.

GloryDayz 03-02-2022 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Pagan (Post 16172534)
I have a new Surface that came with Windows 11 and it seems..., fine.

Honestly haven't really noticed that much better or worse. Although my main desktop is certainly capable of running Windows 11, haven't seen a big reason to switch from 10 to 11 on it.

Right on. My Surface was the first Win10 device to ask if I wanted Win11.

I'll wait...

Boon 03-02-2022 10:27 PM

I think you wiill need a MS account for WIN 11. That sux.

Chief Pagan 03-02-2022 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boon (Post 16172595)

You need at least a junk email with a junk MS account. But once you activate it, you can still create/use a 'local' account on your device that is not tied to an email.

But yea, annoying.

Fish 03-02-2022 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 16172488)

It's fine. Runs just the same as Win10. The original start menu was clunky, but with the latest updates I'm fine with it. Performance is the same. The windows grouping options are pretty nice. It's a very solid OS. All my games run fine.

Fish 03-02-2022 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boon (Post 16172595)

No, you can still create an offline account. When you get to the part during setup where it says "Let's add your Microsoft Account," just click on Sign-in Options and select Offline Account.

https://i.imgur.com/ZxHjZeg.png

EDIT: So, apparently the above method does not work with the Win11 Home version. Apologies, I never use the Home version. Supposedly there is a method to still create an offline account with the Win11 Home version by doing a sneaky disconnect of the internet during setup. But if you want seamless install of an offline account, don't get the Home version.

Buehler445 03-02-2022 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 16172626)
It's fine. Runs just the same as Win10. The original start menu was clunky, but with the latest updates I'm fine with it. Performance is the same. The windows grouping options are pretty nice. It's a very solid OS. All my games run fine.

I bought a new laptop with 11. I need to upgrade my work rig because I bought a giant ass monitor and the windows grouping looks nice.

Otter 03-03-2022 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 16172498)
I am getting--this device will not support win 11.

I am due for a new laptop anyway. My wife has not upgraded hers yet.

My work desktop gets the same message. I'm almost certain it's because you don't have a TPM chip. The requirements for Win11 are actually quiet miniscule all things considered.

They (the industry) wants us to buy new PCs.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/25/2...ement-security

mnchiefsguy 03-03-2022 11:02 AM

I saw an article (can't seem to find it now, it was awhile back around Christmas time), that said Windows 11 was problematic for gamers, and that it had issues with some graphics cards and games, so I have been putting the upgrade off. Has anyone seen anything similiar?

Saulbadguy 03-03-2022 01:09 PM

TPM is a requirement for secure computing.

BryanBusby 03-03-2022 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 16173053)
I saw an article (can't seem to find it now, it was awhile back around Christmas time), that said Windows 11 was problematic for gamers, and that it had issues with some graphics cards and games, so I have been putting the upgrade off. Has anyone seen anything similiar?

I think there was an AMD related issue early on that's been fixed.

Otter 03-03-2022 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 16173355)
TPM is a requirement for secure computing.

I agree.

In an enterprise environment they are essential and you're dangerously behind the curve if TPM hasn't been implemented at this point. However, I think the requirement for TPM on home PCs to run the latest operating system is a bit overkill at best and at worst a means to pull revenue into the segment of the market which will benefit.

Factors to take into consideration is what your home PC is used for obviously but for your average Joe I think it's overkill.

Just my geek $.02

Fish 03-03-2022 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 16173043)
My work desktop gets the same message. I'm almost certain it's because you don't have a TPM chip. The requirements for Win11 are actually quiet miniscule all things considered.

They (the industry) wants us to buy new PCs.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/25/2...ement-security

You can buy a TPM card for many motherboards for $15-50 or so.

You can also install Windows 11 on machines without TPM with a simple registry edit. Even though it's probably not a good idea. Here's how: https://www.techradar.com/how-to/how...y-you-shouldnt

Fish 03-03-2022 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 16173053)

I'm running Nvidia, and have had no issues. Actually, a few of the latest NVidia drivers have been buggy shitty messes that have given me some issues. But it's the NVidia drivers not the OS, because the same driver issues are happening in Win10 too.

mnchiefsguy 03-04-2022 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 16174264)
I'm running Nvidia, and have had no issues. Actually, a few of the latest NVidia drivers have been buggy shitty messes that have given me some issues. But it's the NVidia drivers not the OS, because the same driver issues are happening in Win10 too.

Thanks for the info. I am running a 3060TI on my rig with no issues with WIN10 Pro....so I may consider doing the upgrade the next time it pops up....although it is running well so I might not mess with a good thing.

BleedingRed 03-05-2022 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 16174405)
Thanks for the info. I am running a 3060TI on my rig with no issues with WIN10 Pro....so I may consider doing the upgrade the next time it pops up....although it is running well so I might not mess with a good thing.

There isn’t much point to upgrade to windows 11 for home PCs and adoption rate has been super slow when compared to windows 10 (mainly because Microsoft isn’t just giving it away.

crayzkirk 03-06-2022 07:08 PM

One reason to have a MS account is that your keys become linked to that account. When you upgrade your computer, you can simply access that account and let MS know that you have upgraded.

My systems are old; they ran XP, 7 and now 10. No TPM available for Phenom II processors w/DDR2 memory. Thinking Ryzen 5600X, new motherboard, memory and SSD would be a nice upgrade however the next generation is going to need a new motherboard. Graphics cards are still overpriced so I'll stick with the RX580.

Imon Yourside 03-13-2022 07:29 AM

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ELh78fPzqcw" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Imon Yourside 03-28-2022 11:43 PM

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6cyuD20qW18" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

displacedinMN 03-30-2022 07:37 PM

just bought a new laptop.

not a big difference of 10 to 11 in what most of us do.

Imon Yourside 04-03-2022 02:35 AM

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FAomglv541s" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>