ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs No Chris Jones at OTA's. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=323044)

SAUTO 06-11-2019 05:30 PM

At this point he would have a clean bill of health, right?

Easy 6 06-11-2019 06:35 PM

Not only is he the singular top young talent on this defense, a cornerstone at a premium position... but he is also a good kid by every account

He is one of those key “infectious enthusiasm” cogs, pay him what the market deems appropriate and then a lil extra... this defense will be built around young Sasquatch

O.city 06-11-2019 06:52 PM

I’d prefer to keep him but I dunno what he’s asking for

Flying High D 06-11-2019 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAUTO (Post 14304454)
Had he had any problems since coming back from the knee injury ?

Seems to have a problem getting to a mandatory camp.

DTVietnam 06-11-2019 07:15 PM

If you had to choose between Jones and Tyreek...who are you paying?

BigRedChief 06-11-2019 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 14304519)
This is nothing to worry about. It's just bidness. They'll get it straight before St. Joe.

THIS!

staylor26 06-11-2019 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DTVietnam (Post 14304701)

Thankfully we don’t have to choose, but considering Hill is a much higher risk, Jones easily.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 06-11-2019 07:28 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">At one point, Mecole Hardman streaked down the field with Charvarius Ward guarding him, and Ward stayed with him stride for stride. A very good sign. Also worth noting, Hardman looks to be improving in his punt-catching ability with visible confidence there.</p>&mdash; Pete Sweeney (@pgsween) <a href="https://twitter.com/pgsween/status/1138568167888998400?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 11, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

My boy Ward making plays!!

BryanBusby 06-11-2019 08:42 PM

The shit on Chris Jones is the CP version of 2/10 pointy elbows would not bang

Sweet Daddy Hate 06-11-2019 09:34 PM

I don't know why some of you are even wringing hands. Deal will be done and at slightly more than the last player to get paid for the position

Duh.

RunKC 06-11-2019 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DTVietnam (Post 14304701)

Jones

suzzer99 06-11-2019 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 14304831)
The shit on Chris Jones is the CP version of 2/10 pointy elbows would not bang

Wait chiefsplanet has pointy elbows too?

Twoplustwo.com has the exact same reference. Wtf

https://media2.giphy.com/media/W7VlbzUzQy7Dy/giphy.gif

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 06-11-2019 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 14304890)
I don't know why some of you are even wringing hands. Deal will be done and at slightly more than the last player to get paid for the position

Duh.

More than Aaron Donald?

Sweet Daddy Hate 06-11-2019 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! (Post 14304926)
More than Aaron Donald?

More than Aaron Donald, Ronald McDonald, and old Mac Donald on his mother****ing farm.

Eee-i Eee-i Oh, bitches!

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 06-12-2019 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 14304967)
More than Aaron Donald, Ronald McDonald, and old Mac Donald on his mother****ing farm.

Eee-i Eee-i Oh, bitches!

ROFL

Red Dawg 06-12-2019 05:10 AM

Many reports say he wants Donald money. No way in hell should we do that. No DL is worth that. Jones is all about the money so let him sit until he comes down to reality.

staylor26 06-12-2019 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg (Post 14305010)
Many reports say he wants Donald money. No way in hell should we do that. No DL is worth that. Jones is all about the money so let him sit until he comes down to reality.

Dumb.

Red Dawg 06-12-2019 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14305011)
Dumb.

Dumb would be to give in to another defensive player that wants the moon.

staylor26 06-12-2019 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg (Post 14305017)
Dumb would be to give in to another defensive player that wants the moon.

He’s the second best interior pass rusher in the league and only 24 years old.

You’re an idiot if you don’t think we should pay this man. How’s the defense going to get better when you let young blue chippers walk in their prime?

Buckweath 06-12-2019 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14305020)

You’re an idiot if you don’t think we should pay this man. How’s the defense going to get better when you let young blue chippers walk in their prime?

He's not. Fletcher Cox is.

I made a poll on Footballsfuture forum and everyone said Cox and rightfully so.

I'm just saying that because I've seen someone else on this forum say the same you're saying and it's just not true.

synthesis2 06-12-2019 07:06 AM

My take on Jones is pretty simple.

People on TV and Radio keep saying that because Clark , Honey B etc got big contracts and he didn't he is sitting out because he wants his but I think these are different situations.

When your picked in round 1 you basically have a 5 year contract as year 5 is a option that most teams exercise with a player like jones. So if he is 22 when drafted most players can't sniff free agency until they are 27 years old.

Jones being picked in the second round is a nice benefit ( besides being paid less than a first rounder) because there is not 5th year option and he is only on the team for 4 years because the franchise tag or free agency.

Sooooo what bugs me and what makes his situation different than the others is this, he hasn't even finished his rookie contract. His first two years were C+ and B and he last year was a A+, but because his first two years were just good not great, I'd want him to prove it one more year before breaking the bank.

The big picture was the other guys we brought in FINISHED there rookie contracts, he has not. Holding out after three years is just plain selfish as Frank Clark finished his contract, Honey B finished his rookie contract.

Finish your four years and then you can complain jones but having one good year and wanting to be paid the tops in the league makes you look incredibly selfish

BigRedChief 06-12-2019 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by synthesis2 (Post 14305058)
Sooooo what bugs me and what makes his situation different than the others is this, he hasn't even finished his rookie contract. His first two years were C+ and B and he last year was a A+, but because his first two years were just good not great, I'd want him to prove it one more year before breaking the bank.

Finish your four years and then you can complain jones but having one good year and wanting to be paid the tops in the league makes you look incredibly selfish

Your not living in the real world, It's some 1950's fantasy. You signed a contract, finish it and then we will talk. it's 2019. come back to reality. Jones had no choice but to sign. He has a choice now. He is going to get paid. This is just business.

This is going just like every other negotiation in the NFL for every stud entering his last year of contract that the team and player want to stay.

Jones gets hurt in week 5 and out for the season, he doesn't get paid. Surely you understand that? The Chiefs are a business, There is a cap. This is just business. It'll get done.

Dunerdr 06-12-2019 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by synthesis2 (Post 14305058)
My take on Jones is pretty simple.

People on TV and Radio keep saying that because Clark , Honey B etc got big contracts and he didn't he is sitting out because he wants his but I think these are different situations.

When your picked in round 1 you basically have a 5 year contract as year 5 is a option that most teams exercise with a player like jones. So if he is 22 when drafted most players can't sniff free agency until they are 27 years old.

Jones being picked in the second round is a nice benefit ( besides being paid less than a first rounder) because there is not 5th year option and he is only on the team for 4 years because the franchise tag or free agency.

The big picture was the other guys we brought in FINISHED there rookie contracts, he has not. Holding out after three years is just plain selfish as Frank Clark finished his contract, Honey B finished his rookie contract.

good idea we will wait for another elite season like we did with berry and houston the pay even more..

Flying High D 06-12-2019 07:28 AM

I guess somebody doesn’t want to help MVPII win a SB. Don’t see MVP holding out and he is the MVP of the league. Somebody is getting bad advice.

synthesis2 06-12-2019 07:32 AM

Most players do not hold out on their Rookie contract, after that the gloves come off.

I completely get where you both are coming from but I don't want one year to screw us long term. Its only four years, finish them and get rewarded for your hard work. I don't mind him making more money because he finishes the year with 10 plus sacks and we win the superbowl. All is good for me but very few players hold out on their rookie contract after three years.

If he was an A his rookie year, and A his second and A his third then I get it but one great year would make he just wait and see.

But for clarification I 100% want him on the team short and long term. I just don't see any reason to rush into it only after three years.

Sorce 06-12-2019 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunerdr (Post 14305066)
good idea we will wait for another elite season like we did with berry and houston the pay even more..

If he's wanting to get paid top contract already how is this different? He is taking most of the risk in that, the Chiefs have leverage here. He can accept less or play his final year. If he plays he risks getting hurt, not performing as well as last year. It sounds like he isn't willing to give the Chiefs a break for getting him his money early. If I'm the Chiefs I set a TC deadline for a deal. He can't sit out the season or he loses the year.

synthesis2 06-12-2019 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorce (Post 14305083)
If he's wanting to get paid top contract already how is this different? He is taking most of the risk in that, the Chiefs have leverage here. He can accept less or play his final year. If he plays he risks getting hurt, not performing as well as last year. It sounds like he isn't willing to give the Chiefs a break for getting him his money early. If I'm the Chiefs I set a TC deadline for a deal. He can't sit out the season or he loses the year.

Agreed, I'm completely ok with paying him even more money if he has another A year but lets say he ends the year

A) with 7 sacks and 35 tackles ( somewhere in there) he gets a good contract but not one that breaks the bank.

B) decides to hold out the entire year and I still think our D is good enough now without him to win a Superbowl and he is still in the same situation but has lost a lot of money.

I love the guy I just want to see him do it two years vs one.

Sassy Squatch 06-12-2019 07:40 AM

After these last few offseasons I don't get how anybody could be in favor of waiting another season to pay him, unless you're just absolutely convinced he's not worth it no matter what he does. Wait and see will only bite us in the ass with these contracts rising at an astronomical rate.

Flying High D 06-12-2019 07:41 AM

Someone in Chiefs Kindergarten is disgruntled.

God of Thunder 06-12-2019 07:42 AM

610 Sports reported this morning that the two sides are about 25M apart. Take it with a grain of salt though.....

Flying High D 06-12-2019 07:42 AM

Maybe the Beib should challenge him to a fight.

loochy 06-12-2019 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by synthesis2 (Post 14305088)
Agreed, I'm completely ok with paying him even more money if he has another A year but lets say he ends the year

A) with 7 sacks and 35 tackles ( somewhere in there) he gets a good contract but not one that breaks the bank.

B) decides to hold out the entire year and I still think our D is good enough now without him to win a Superbowl and he is still in the same situation but has lost a lot of money.

I love the guy I just want to see him do it two years vs one.

With Clark on his right and Nandi on his left and a change to a 4-3 he will surely have a great season, don'tchathink?

Flying High D 06-12-2019 07:44 AM

As the Chiefs World turns

Dunerdr 06-12-2019 07:46 AM

its basically do you wanna risk an ascending player hitting the open market and letting the market potentially push your price up even more and or losing him or try to get 110% out of him again because hes in a contract year? weve been burned on the contract year several times. he wants donald money and thats a bank breaker, but another season of donaldish numbers may just push it even farther.

synthesis2 06-12-2019 07:47 AM

I’m willing to wait one extra year to find out. I think this years defense is much better than last year even without jones. Clark is a better player and we don’t have Houston and berry bad attitude to deal with. I want him on the team just want him to finish his rookie freaking contract of four years. He’s lucky he wasn’t the 32nd pick in the first as we would have him two more years.

With or without him we win the Super Bowl in my opinion, but for jones his agent to bully the chiefs for a top 2 DL contract after one good year when he still has one left I’d wait. We still win the SB. Hell last year with the worst d in football we were a few Ford inches away from the Sb . Love to have him but he needs to finish his four year deal, prove he’s not a flash and then pay him.

Dunerdr 06-12-2019 07:47 AM

i dont see how he doesnt have a killer year with more "down linemen" and what should be a much better rotation to spell him.

Mecca 06-12-2019 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunerdr (Post 14305102)
i dont see how he doesnt have a killer year with more "down linemen" and what should be a much better rotation to spell him.

While that makes logical sense, he has a bad habit of taking plays off and is a reason our run d has been so shitty.

synthesis2 06-12-2019 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunerdr (Post 14305100)
its basically do you wanna risk an ascending player hitting the open market and letting the market potentially push your price up even more and or losing him or try to get 110% out of him again because hes in a contract year? weve been burned on the contract year several times. he wants donald money and thats a bank breaker, but another season of donaldish numbers may just push it even farther.

If it gets way out of hand you tag and trade him like the sea chickens did with Clark to us. If he refuses to play next year after this year then we tag him and find someone to give us a first for him and we trade him off. Still come out looking good either way. I want the guy but either way we hold the cards

Sorce 06-12-2019 07:54 AM

My argument is based on the assumption that he is trying to get paid as the top interior lineman in the league. If that's the case and he has another good year he's still going to want to be paid that way. A lot of us are speculating here. One side he's not already asking for the contract he would get if we tagged him next year and negotiated. I'm looking at it from the standpoint if he's already asking for that contract let him prove it.

Dunerdr 06-12-2019 08:06 AM

hes basically a top 3 interior lineman correct? and every time a top 5 anything gets paid anymore they get paid the biggest contract for that positon in history unless five gets paid immediately after 1 gets paid. so give him a little more than donald and get it over with. its gonna happen eventually either way.

everyone says he was known for taking plays off, i remember that from college and i remember that as a rookie but i really dont remember him doing that much last season from what i remember he was meh in run d because he was over aggressive and would penetrate into the back field instead of filling gaps too often but i dont remember him just checking out for a drive like he did in college. (note im no film expert and didnt do a break down or anything but i did watch jones more than others because he was one of two defensive bright spots)

staylor26 06-12-2019 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckweath (Post 14305031)
He's not. Fletcher Cox is.

I made a poll on Footballsfuture forum and everyone said Cox and rightfully so.

I'm just saying that because I've seen someone else on this forum say the same you're saying and it's just not true.

Lol ok. I guess that settles it then.

Cox is getting credit for his career, because Jones was significantly more productive on significantly fewer snaps in 2018.

If you want to say Cox is a better all around interior DL, you have an argument. But he was not the better pass rusher in 2018 and I don’t really care what everybody on ”Footballsfuture” said.

staylor26 06-12-2019 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 14305106)
While that makes logical sense, he has a bad habit of taking plays off and is a reason our run d has been so shitty.

Yea he racked up 14 sacks taking a lot of plays off :rolleyes:

That’s nonsense and nothing more than a dumb narrative.

Red Dawg 06-12-2019 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14305020)

Pay him yes. All in for that but not some long crazy money deal that we regret in 2 years. We have had enough of that. If he wants to be greedy then he can be traded for a CB. We need another more than him.

Dunerdr 06-12-2019 08:31 AM

you either pay out the ass or have second tier talent guys...

that works if your bill bellicheck.

Flying High D 06-12-2019 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunerdr (Post 14305155)
you either pay out the ass or have second tier talent guys...

that works if your bill bellicheck.

It’s Getting damn ready to start working for Andy.

PMII Effect

O.city 06-12-2019 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14305141)
Yea he racked up 14 sacks taking a lot of plays off :rolleyes:

That’s nonsense and nothing more than a dumb narrative.

He's not the most disciplined in the run game.

Rushing the QB is more important atleast.

Dunerdr 06-12-2019 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flying High D (Post 14305225)
It’s Getting damn ready to start working for Andy.

PMII Effect

mahomes, as good as he is, cant make average defensive tackles look like chris jones. bellicheck works because he has great qb play and hes a defensive guru.

staylor26 06-12-2019 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14305229)

Sure, but there’s a difference between that and “taking plays off”.

Pasta Little Brioni 06-12-2019 10:01 AM

Footballs future ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

Red Dawg 06-12-2019 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14305229)

No it isn't. Rushing the QB did shit for us last year. We need run stoppers and a tough secondary. Not a 20 mil per year DT.

O.city 06-12-2019 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg (Post 14305285)
No it isn't. Rushing the QB did shit for us last year. We need run stoppers and a tough secondary. Not a 20 mil per year DT.

Rushing the Qb and stopping the pass is more important than stopping the run.

I mean, just because the chiefs were abysmal at stopping the run last year, doesn't mean it's more important.

Build a defense full of run stoppers up front and you'll get mauled by teams throwing it around the yard on you.

"insert yeah but the Pats did it this way last year blah blah".

Dunerdr 06-12-2019 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14305290)

I mean, just because the chiefs were abysmal at stopping the run last year, doesn't mean it's more important.

Build a defense full of run stoppers up front and you'll get mauled by teams throwing it around the yard on you.

look who your talking too O, dont waste your keystrokes.

staylor26 06-12-2019 10:12 AM

Quote:

This. If we were solid against the run but had no pass rush last year, we’d have been worse.

Iconic 06-12-2019 10:18 AM

I'm too lazy to read the entire thread but if anyone is shitting on Jones for this or his asking price that's dumb as ****. He's got every reason to sit and avoid risking injury right now. He watched Clark get paid and the front office would have to be autistic if they didn't realize Jones would now be bargaining in the very same margins.

Chiefs need to get a deal done rather than ask him to play another year without one. He's only going to get better, and his price will only go higher. Just get it the **** over with.

Jerm 06-12-2019 10:21 AM

They were obviously talking extension with Hill, just use that $$ on Jones now...get it done.

Buckweath 06-12-2019 10:29 AM

Quote:

Pass defense is a lot more important than rush defense.

You just don't want to be a sieve when the other team is running the ball but otherwise, as I said..

RunKC 06-12-2019 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg (Post 14305285)

Jones was the only pass rusher who got pressure on Brady in the championship game, and it was bullshit that he got flagged for it.Dee Ford and Justin Houston were pathetic.

You need complete players who can stop the run and rush (Frank Clark), not one dimensional mongoloids like Dee Ford who get destroyed in the run game.

Flying High D 06-12-2019 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 14305358)
Jones was the only pass rusher who got pressure on Brady in the championship game, and it was bullshit that he got flagged for it.Dee Ford and Justin Houston were pathetic.

You need complete players who can stop the run and rush (Frank Clark), not one dimensional mongoloids like Dee Ford who get destroyed in the run game.

Ya, But Dee can tickle the ivories.

DeepSouth 06-12-2019 11:34 AM

I hate holdouts in general but I understand the players have to take care of themselves. I just hope this doesn't turn into a Le'Veon Bell / Pittsburgh Steelers type holdout.

Other than that, I hope Khalen Saunders has an awesome mini camp / training camp so we don't notice that Chris Jones is missing.

O.city 06-12-2019 11:47 AM

So, say for instance the Cardinals called you up and said we'll give you a first and a 4th for Jones right now.

If they knew they were going to be able to pay Tyreek now, you take that deal?

DeepSouth 06-12-2019 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14305499)
So, say for instance the Cardinals called you up and said we'll give you a first and a 4th for Jones right now.

That could be tempting since the Cardinals had the #1 pick in the 2019 NFL draft and are probably going to suck again in 2019.

RunKC 06-12-2019 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14305499)

I’d trade Hill for that but not Jones.

Jones is more valuable

O.city 06-12-2019 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 14305512)
I’d trade Hill for that but not Jones.

Jones is more valuable

Being more valuable means he'd bring more in a trade.

Trading him would allow you to add another first rounder next year, possibly a high one and open up cap space. You could add another player in free agency and sign Hill to an extension if this all blows over.

TomBarndtsTwin 06-12-2019 12:11 PM

So the Chiefs and Chris Jones appear to be far apart on contract numbers.

Reportedly, the Chiefs wanna pay him close to what they gave Frank Clark. (5 years, 105 million, 43 million guaranteed)

He wants to be paid like Aaron Donald, who received 6 years, 135 million with 87 mil. guaranteed.

My guess is they'll end up settling somewhere in the middle. But if Jones agent insists he's not signing for much less than Donald, if any at all, I'd say screw it and make him play out his rookie contract. Get him cheap one more year and gamble on his performance this year. If he blows up again this year, he gets his 'Aaron Donald' money after this season. If not, the Chiefs maybe save a little over what they would have had to pay alternatively this year.

mikeyis4dcats. 06-12-2019 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin (Post 14305545)
So the Chiefs and Chris Jones appear to be far apart on contract numbers.

Reportedly, the Chiefs wanna pay him close to what they gave Frank Clark. (5 years, 105 million, 43 million guaranteed)

He wants to be paid like Aaron Donald, who received 6 years, 135 million with 87 mil. guaranteed.

My guess is they'll end up settling somewhere in the middle. But if Jones agent insists he's not signing for much less than Donald, if any at all, I'd say screw it and make him play out his rookie contract. Get him cheap one more year and gamble on his performance this year. If he blows up again this year, he gets his 'Aaron Donald' money after this season. If not, the Chiefs maybe save a little over what they would have had to pay alternatively this year.

yeah, he's not even a pro bowl veteran, let alone 4 timer.

Kiimo 06-12-2019 12:42 PM

And he's nowhere near the ability of Aaron Donald.

Dunerdr 06-12-2019 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 14305593)
yeah, he's not even a pro bowl veteran, let alone 4 timer.

the hell does a popularity contest have to do with his value? the probowl is a joke in itself.

mikeyis4dcats. 06-12-2019 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunerdr (Post 14305603)
the hell does a popularity contest have to do with his value? the probowl is a joke in itself.

it adds perceived value, like it or not.

Dunerdr 06-12-2019 12:54 PM

i dont think veach or any gm is going well **** the fans voted for him pay this man top dollar!

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 06-12-2019 12:57 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Along the same lines of some of the words of Anthony Hitchens yesterday, Charvarius Ward said that the communication of the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Chiefs</a> defense is much better this year.</p>&mdash; Arrowhead Pride (@ArrowheadPride) <a href="https://twitter.com/ArrowheadPride/status/1138873162521874432?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 12, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

dlphg9 06-12-2019 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by synthesis2 (Post 14305101)
I’m willing to wait one extra year to find out. I think this years defense is much better than last year even without jones. Clark is a better player and we don’t have Houston and berry bad attitude to deal with. I want him on the team just want him to finish his rookie freaking contract of four years. He’s lucky he wasn’t the 32nd pick in the first as we would have him two more years.

With or without him we win the Super Bowl in my opinion, but for jones his agent to bully the chiefs for a top 2 DL contract after one good year when he still has one left I’d wait. We still win the SB. Hell last year with the worst d in football we were a few Ford inches away from the Sb . Love to have him but he needs to finish his four year deal, prove he’s not a flash and then pay him.

The bolded sentence above proves you are a ****ing tard. Anyone who is against Jones getting paid right now is a ****ing tard.

I'd pay him more than Donald. AD signed his deal when he was 27 years old and will be getting paid when he's 33 years old. He's going to be on the decline sooner rather than later. Jones is gonna be 24, but will be 25 soon and if we give him a 6 year extension he will be 31 at the end of that contract.

I wanted to figure out when D Tackles usually start to become bums, so I looked up the top 10 D Tackles of all time, according to Gil Brandt (old dude at ESPN) and looked up their AV according to Pro Football Reference. The AV of the 50th ranked player was 13. I figure if you were going to pay a guy a ton that you would want them to be at least a top 50 guy. So, when did each of the top 10 d-tackle's AV go below 13.

Curley Culp - never had a 13 AV, but had a 12 at age 29 and started to decline after.
John Randle - 31 and only had one more season that he hit 10 AV
Buck Buchanon - 30 and only one more season of 10 AV
Cortez Kennedy - 26, but had an outlier at age 31 and had a 13 AV.
Arnie Weinmeister - No AV info
Warren Sapp - 30, had a 12 AV at 31, but fell off cliff after that and never did better than a 7 AV
Randy White - 32
Merlin Olsen - 30
Joe Greene - 30
Bob Lilly - 30

So the average age that these guys started to go down hill was 29.777, so round up to 30. I'd rather be paying Chris Jones $20+ mil/year during his prime years over paying Aaron Donald $20+ mil/year during 3-4 years of his prime and 2-3 years of him sucking shit. Paying Jones is the better deal and you could even argue that Jones deserves more, since you are paying for all of his prime years.

Also to all the idiots saying "well he's only done it for 1 year", look up all of those guys stats. Only 1 of those players hit their prime in year 1, C. Kennedy, and Sapp hit his in year 3. All of the others didn't hit their prime until year 4 or 5. All of these guys are in the HoF. With the trajectory of most D Tackles and the switch to a 4-3, Jones is going to have a huge year and be even more expensive or just pissed with how he was treated and walk away the first chance he has.

Pay the man, Veach.

RunKC 06-12-2019 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiimosabi (Post 14305596)
And he's nowhere near the ability of Aaron Donald.

Pretty close last year, but they need to use the “no pro bowl” or “all-pro” recognition in negotiations.

I seriously have no damn clue how this guy was not a pro bowler last year.

BossChief 06-12-2019 01:30 PM

Jones was second team all pro

TomBarndtsTwin 06-12-2019 01:49 PM

I don't think anyone has any issue with Chris Jones being paid $20+ mil. per year going forward. But he shouldn't be asking for Aaron Donald's contract (or more). Donald is the reigning NFL DPOY and 1st Team All Pro four of the last 5 years. Chris Jones is not Aaron Donald.

The Chiefs have a cap to think about going forward and a QB that is about to breakthrough every contract barrier ever known to professional football players.

If Jones can perform like Aaron Donald-lite in his age 24 and age 25 seasons, then I have no issue with them sitting down after this season and discussing giving him Aaron Donald money. But he needs to do it first.

He's had ONE elite season to this point. I love Jones, but pump the breaks on 'pay him like Donald'.

O.city 06-12-2019 02:03 PM

If there was a scenario where you could trade Chris Jones and use that compensation to trade for Jalen ramsey, would that interest anyone?

Buckweath 06-12-2019 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 14305647)
Pretty close last year, but they need to use the “no pro bowl” or “all-pro” recognition in negotiations.

I seriously have no damn clue how this guy was not a pro bowler last year.

Pretty close? Jones is nowhere close to Donald's level and will never be IMO.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 06-12-2019 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14305698)
If there was a scenario where you could trade Chris Jones and use that compensation to trade for Jalen ramsey, would that interest anyone?

Nope

Chiefs=Champions 06-12-2019 02:20 PM

Quote:

No way.

TomBarndtsTwin 06-12-2019 02:20 PM

Quote:

No.

An elite, disruptive DT is much more valuable in today's NFL than an elite CB. Especially with all the bullshit rule changes.

O.city 06-12-2019 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! (Post 14305716)
Nope

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs=Good (Post 14305719)
No way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin (Post 14305720)
No.

An elite, disruptive DT is much more valuable in today's NFL than an elite CB. Especially with all the bullshit rule changes.

I don't think I would either, but i'd give it some thought.

The rule changes do make it tougher on DB's, but having a Db that's elite and able to be elite inside that rule structure is pretty hard to find. Well, Ramsey is that.

Plus I thought the argument was that the new coaching staff on D was going to be able to do what the Pats did and get pressure and such thru their use of different formations and such. Well, if that's the case, here's an opportunity to get some value and balance it out in another area of the defense.