ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Looks like Spagnuolo [favorite for] DC (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=320843)

Red Dawg 01-23-2019 10:28 AM

His job will be very clear. Find a way to stop all the long clock killing drives that killed us. No one expects dominance but hold teams down forba half would be enough.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 01-23-2019 10:28 AM

We just need a average DC

Sofa King 01-23-2019 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! (Post 14066634)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Steve Spagnuolo&#39;s last DECADE of leading defenses.<br>Average in Yards Allowed: 25th in NFL (including worst or 2nd worst 4x)<br>Average in Points Allowed: 24th in NFL (including 30th or worse 3x)</p>&mdash; Matt Conner (@MattConnerAA) <a href="https://twitter.com/MattConnerAA/status/1088102915087257600?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 23, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Uggg

Raiderhater 01-23-2019 10:28 AM

DJLN is killing it in this thread. I could not disagree with one word he has said if I wanted to.

Dr. Yu Weed Tard 01-23-2019 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 14066672)
How can a defense not be called aggressive with that sack count?

This. Our MLBs and defensive backfield were hot garbage. We have ZERO run stuffing ability on the Dline.

The defense was about as aggressive as it could be.

T-post Tom 01-23-2019 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! (Post 14066634)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Steve Spagnuolo&#39;s last DECADE of leading defenses.<br>Average in Yards Allowed: 25th in NFL (including worst or 2nd worst 4x)<br>Average in Points Allowed: 24th in NFL (including 30th or worse 3x)</p>&mdash; Matt Conner (@MattConnerAA) <a href="https://twitter.com/MattConnerAA/status/1088102915087257600?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 23, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Doesn't inspire confidence. Don't know what to think.

O.city 01-23-2019 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14066671)
Very few of them - no question.

I'm not expecting chicken salad from chicken shit here. But what I'm hoping for is a marginal step up on the talent. He's not going to have 'great players' on balance - he's gonna have a few good ones and he'll have to make due.

But you saw it just as I did - the goddamn Ravens performed so far above their true talent that it was ridiculous. That defense has some solid players, to be sure, but that's not why they were such an excellent unit. They were an excellent unit because they were versatile and played smart team defense.

Spagnuolo over the last decade has demonstrated a pattern of having just awful defenses with a single exception (that '16 team). Sutton's resume over his time in KC is BETTER than Spags over the same time period and that's just a horrifying thought. My point here isn't that Spags needed to be leading perennial top 5 defenses but rather to point out that his track record over that period is arguably the worst of any coach that has been continually employed in a coordinator or higher capacity over the last decade. The problem isn't that he didn't have great defenses - it's that he routinely produced objectively bad ones.

At that level of suck, the excuses just wash out. Maybe he didn't routinely have excellent players but jesus - I'm not going to just assume he routinely had players that awful either. Over an entire decade.

I don't disagree.

But the Ravens are an interesting example in that their DC was the DC in Denver in 2010 and they were awful. I just don't know how much a DC can do in terms of being so crazy creative without talent.
I think you're also underrating the Ravens talent and I think they're an example of what we need to look at in terms of just having good players everywhere. This great here and shit there approach just doesn't work anymore on defense.

T-post Tom 01-23-2019 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg (Post 14066677)
His job will be very clear. Find a way to stop all the long clock killing drives that killed us. No one expects dominance but hold teams down forba half would be enough.

Actually, dominance would be nice.

FringeNC 01-23-2019 10:30 AM

Spags and Rex Ryan are the two guys I didn't want. This may not be an upgrade at all.

The Franchise 01-23-2019 10:31 AM

Here's who he had on that 2016 defense that was top 10:

Defensive linemen

96 Jay Bromley DT
95 Johnathan Hankins DT
98 Damon Harrison DT
58 Owa Odighizuwa DE
78 Romeo Okwara DE
90 Jason Pierre-Paul DE
99 Robert Thomas DT
54 Olivier Vernon DE
72 Kerry Wynn DE

Linebackers
52 Jonathan Casillas OLB
93 B. J. Goodson MLB
94 Mark Herzlich OLB
59 Devon Kennard OLB
57 Keenan Robinson OLB
91 Kelvin Sheppard MLB
53 Deontae Skinner OLB
97 Ishaq Williams OLB

Defensive backs

33 Andrew Adams FS
24 Eli Apple CB
29 Nat Berhe FS
21 Landon Collins SS
25 Leon Hall CB
20 Janoris Jenkins CB
37 Eric Pinkins SS
41 Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie CB
30 Coty Sensabaugh CB
31 Trevin Wade CB

Mecca 01-23-2019 10:31 AM

It's honestly not surprising, with the way Reid basically does nothing with the defense I don't think he was ever going to higher some young coach who'd never done it before.

Sassy Squatch 01-23-2019 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-post Tom (Post 14066682)
Doesn't inspire confidence. Don't know what to think.

It's the same nepotistic bullshit that kept Smith here for 5 years. I would've thought Reid had learned his lesson with Mahomes but apparently that was just the broken clock being right twice a day.

ShowtimeSBMVP 01-23-2019 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 14066550)
Marty says this is as good as done.

Lol

DJ's left nut 01-23-2019 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 14066666)
Exactly. Andy wants a guy he ca set and forget. He wants to turn the defense over to someone who will control that side of the club so he can focus on Pat and the offense.

A young, never been before, DC is not that guy.

Spags has been both a DC and a HC, so he knows how to gameplan, prepare his team and control a locker room.

I dont love the hire either, but i get it.

I know this is what the league thinks. I get it.

But young coaches, especially the superstars, those ****ers are grinders man. They are 1,000 mph and they will kill themselves to get a shot at the big chair. They are so often out there providing the energy and the shot in the arm that an organization needs.

If I am looking for a "Head Coach of the Defense" then the EXACT guy I'm looking for is the hungry up and comer that will have the fire and energy and straight up hunger to go put forward the 100 hours that he needs to learn and create.

Not Romeo ****ing Crennel or Gunther or some other recycled old guy who thinks he has the answers already.

There's ample cause to flip that entire paradigm on its head and say that if you're looking for someone to turn the keys over to, the young guy is the way you SHOULD go.

Mecca 01-23-2019 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pest (Post 14066687)
Here's who he had on that 2016 defense that was top 10:

Defensive linemen

96 Jay Bromley DT
95 Johnathan Hankins DT
98 Damon Harrison DT
58 Owa Odighizuwa DE
78 Romeo Okwara DE
90 Jason Pierre-Paul DE
99 Robert Thomas DT
54 Olivier Vernon DE
72 Kerry Wynn DE

Linebackers
52 Jonathan Casillas OLB
93 B. J. Goodson MLB
94 Mark Herzlich OLB
59 Devon Kennard OLB
57 Keenan Robinson OLB
91 Kelvin Sheppard MLB
53 Deontae Skinner OLB
97 Ishaq Williams OLB

Defensive backs

33 Andrew Adams FS
24 Eli Apple CB
29 Nat Berhe FS
21 Landon Collins SS
25 Leon Hall CB
20 Janoris Jenkins CB
37 Eric Pinkins SS
30 Coty Sensabaugh CB
31 Trevin Wade CB

That's actually, not all that great, so much so the year after the Giants ditched almost all the guys you have bolded.

BryanBusby 01-23-2019 10:32 AM

This reeks of a hire who would keep his kid as the DL coach. He and Andy are besties, so no way would he fire junior. God damnit Andy.

Imon Yourside 01-23-2019 10:33 AM

Good old Andy "keep it in the family" Reid.

I get wanting just an average defense, but the skies the limit here and we're settling for someone who is bottom tier by all measures. I don't understand this mentality Andy can go out and get anyone and is stuck with this decision for a while probably at least in his mind.

O.city 01-23-2019 10:33 AM

Some won't like this aspect, but I'm just satisfied they are getting away from the 34. It's just so damn hard to find players for it

ShowtimeSBMVP 01-23-2019 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 14066582)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Your new defensive coordinator, barring a complete breakdown in talks, will be Steve Spagnuolo. He was a defensive assistant under Andy Reid in Philadelphia from 1999 - 2006.</p>&mdash; The Chiefs Kingdom (Ver 2.0) (@1_ChiefsKingdom) <a href="https://twitter.com/1_ChiefsKingdom/status/1088102515432771584?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 23, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Dude stop with this shit

Dr. Yu Weed Tard 01-23-2019 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14066671)
Very few of them - no question.

I'm not expecting chicken salad from chicken shit here. But what I'm hoping for is a marginal step up on the talent. He's not going to have 'great players' on balance - he's gonna have a few good ones and he'll have to make due.

But you saw it just as I did - the goddamn Ravens performed so far above their true talent that it was ridiculous. That defense has some solid players, to be sure, but that's not why they were such an excellent unit. They were an excellent unit because they were versatile and played smart team defense.

Spagnuolo over the last decade has demonstrated a pattern of having just awful defenses with a single exception (that '16 team). Sutton's resume over his time in KC is BETTER than Spags over the same time period and that's just a horrifying thought. My point here isn't that Spags needed to be leading perennial top 5 defenses but rather to point out that his track record over that period is arguably the worst of any coach that has been continually employed in a coordinator or higher capacity over the last decade. The problem isn't that he didn't have great defenses - it's that he routinely produced objectively bad ones.

At that level of suck, the excuses just wash out. Maybe he didn't routinely have excellent players but jesus - I'm not going to just assume he routinely had players that awful either. Over an entire decade.

Spagnuholo.

RollChiefsRoll 01-23-2019 10:33 AM

Is he going to stand on the sidelines with his thumb up his ass like Bob did?

FloridaMan88 01-23-2019 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pest (Post 14066657)
It's pretty much who I thought it would be.

As much as I wanted him to....Andy wasn't turning over the defense to a young guy with no experience as a DC.

Am I excited? Meh...not really. Is it better than Sutton? Yes.

Maybe now we'll shit can this stupid 3-4 and be aggressive.

If Andy wants an experienced DC, I'd rather have John Fox or Rex Ryan than Spags.

I am still holding out hope for a Kris Richard miracle... ironically he would be the exact type of innovative/young and upcoming coach that Andy usually chooses for his OC/QB coach hires.

He should apply that same strategy towards hiring a new DC.

The Franchise 01-23-2019 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14066695)
Some won't like this aspect, but I'm just satisfied they are getting away from the 34. It's just so damn hard to find players for it

This is my silver lining. I think a switch to the 4-3 is going to help out KPass and Speaks immensely. Speaks actually looked halfways decent rushing with his hand in the dirt.

Chris Meck 01-23-2019 10:34 AM

Y'all just wait. It's gonna be fine. His '16 defense was very good, the '17 had crucial injuries and the offense cratered too. New Orleans he was ****ed with bounty-gate. St. Louis was an organizational mess at the time.

And I'm a fan of moving away from a 3-4 where you have 260 lb. linebackers trying to cover running backs.

It's good. It'll be fine, and I'll bet they're middle of the pack next year, which should be plenty good enough.

dannybcaitlyn 01-23-2019 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 14066443)
Spags shut down Tom Brady in the Super Bowl.

Good enough for me.

They just about wore leather helmets back then! You should take a look at his recent resume with today’s offenses. No thanks.

Mecca 01-23-2019 10:34 AM

Quote:

Several of us have said for awhile it was time to move on from that D.

O.city 01-23-2019 10:34 AM

Did you guys really think he was going to go out of his comfort zone to hire someone?

It's Andy Reid we're talking about here.

Sassy Squatch 01-23-2019 10:34 AM

Quote:

That's the only thing I like about this hire.

Best22 01-23-2019 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14066504)
Wilks was my guy for sure. Sucks the Colts couldn’t end Sutton one week earlier but getting the monkey off our back was probably more important.

Beating the Colts was the biggest and best moment of the season and it will carry over to next year

Also 1-1 in the playoffs is very important to Mahomes from an experience stand point

staylor26 01-23-2019 10:35 AM

Quote:

Agreed. I think several of our guys will benefit from that alone.

FAX 01-23-2019 10:35 AM

I have a thought ...

Maybe a blitz-heavy, sizzle-type defense is good. If it works, we get off the field. If it fails, the enemy scores and we get off the field. Either way, we get off the field.

We all know that the secret to success for the Chiefs has to do with the number of possessions our offense gets during a game. More possessions means more points. More points means more pressure on the enemy which means more dropbacks and more blitzes. It's like a snake eating its own tail.

Our offense is the business end of the snake.

FAX

Mecca 01-23-2019 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 14066700)
If Andy wants an experienced DC, I'd rather have John Fox or Rex Ryan than Spags.

I am still holding out hope for a Kris Richard miracle... ironically he would be the exact type of innovative/young and upcoming hire that Andy usually makes for his OC/QB coach hires.

He should apply that same strategy towards hiring a new DC.

I don't think Ryan and Andy would be a good mix...Reid is subdued and never says shit while Rex talks shit to the media.

O.city 01-23-2019 10:36 AM

So with the current players under contract, they'll need another LBer to play there in the middle and a pass rusher or two.

KDB 01-23-2019 10:36 AM

Yeah. Not sure this is an upgrade.

Andy, oh Andy.. Sigh.

Dr. Yu Weed Tard 01-23-2019 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannybcaitlyn (Post 14066703)
They just about wore leather helmets back then! You should take a look at his recent resume with today’s offenses. No thanks.

Yeah the new short passes games have torn him a Spagnuholo.

BleedingRed 01-23-2019 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 14066614)
you're completely off on Spags. Are you sure you're thinking of the same guy? He's blitz heavy, comes from anywhere at any time.

This is incorrect, Spags Defensive units have some of the lowest Blitz Percentages.

Dr. Yu Weed Tard 01-23-2019 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDB (Post 14066714)
Yeah. Not sure this is an upgrade.

Andy, oh Andy.. Sigh.

Traded one old guy who can't just for another old guy who can't adjust.

In58men 01-23-2019 10:38 AM

Nothing is official and everyone is jumping off the cliff

ROFL

****ing CP

Imon Yourside 01-23-2019 10:38 AM

SR needs to get a hold of Andy now and let him know he's making a huge mistake!

Imon Yourside 01-23-2019 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In58men (Post 14066721)

ROFL

****ing CP

Hey as long as it doesn't kill me, i'm willing to jump a few times.

Gibs to me moars

TwistedChief 01-23-2019 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14066691)
I know this is what the league thinks. I get it.

But young coaches, especially the superstars, those ****ers are grinders man. They are 1,000 mph and they will kill themselves to get a shot at the big chair. They are so often out there providing the energy and the shot in the arm that an organization needs.

If I am looking for a "Head Coach of the Defense" then the EXACT guy I'm looking for is the hungry up and comer that will have the fire and energy and straight up hunger to go put forward the 100 hours that he needs to learn and create.

Not Romeo ****ing Crennel or Gunther or some other recycled old guy who thinks he has the answers already.

There's ample cause to flip that entire paradigm on its head and say that if you're looking for someone to turn the keys over to, the young guy is the way you SHOULD go.

Maybe Reid just didn't want to take the risk? Let's say with Spagnuolo (already annoying typing this clown's name) the average outcome with low variance is we go from 32nd to 25th in defense. That's probably enough to get us to the Super Bowl.

Whereas with one of these exciting young guys, our average outcome could be similar but with much higher variability. What if the guy totally didn't work and our defense actually regressed and we didn't even make Divisional Round because of it?

I guess if I thought we were really far away from a Super Bowl, I'd be much more inclined to take the risk of one of these young guys. But Reid presumably knows exactly what he's getting with Spagnuolo which isn't a bad thing when we're this close. Add to that the fact that Reid probably wants to take a very hands-off approach with the defense and needs an adult in that role.

Not saying I like the decision, but I understand it. There are so many factors that are going to determine whether this is a successful hire or not, so I'm not inclined to have too strong of an opinion at this point one way or the other.

Mecca 01-23-2019 10:43 AM

After typing that name 3 times I realize why everyone just calls him Spags now.

Reerun_KC 01-23-2019 10:44 AM

Chiefs rehashing that trash... Gotta love it...

O.city 01-23-2019 10:44 AM

I would also agree that I'm guessing this came from their agent to Schefter.

BleedingRed 01-23-2019 10:44 AM

Steve Spag-no-lol Defensive Ranking Averages over 9 Years Coaching

Yards = 20th
Points = 20th
Passing Yards = 19th
Rushing Yards = 20th

booger 01-23-2019 10:45 AM

Interesting to note with Spagnuolo ties is Andre Curtis of the Seahawks and Matt House the Kentucky DC a few have mentioned when talking about up and coming college coaches were both on Spagnuolo’s staff when he was HC of the Rams. 2009-2011.

Curtis has the title of Pass Game Co so unless his contract is up Pete wouldn’t let him go for a lateral move. Bringing in House as LB coach and bringing some fresh looks and ideas from college and possibly setting himself up as the future DC would be a good move imo

Chris Meck 01-23-2019 10:45 AM

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2409512-steve-spagnuolos-scheme-familiarity-is-what-transitioning-giants-defense-needs[/URL]

I can't embed for some reason. Anyway, this is an article from 2015 and talks a lot about his scheme and concepts as he was returning to NY.

Sassy Squatch 01-23-2019 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwistedChief (Post 14066730)
Maybe Reid just didn't want to take the risk? Let's say with Spagnuolo (already annoying typing this clown's name) the average outcome with low variance is we go from 32nd to 25th in defense. That's probably enough to get us to the Super Bowl.

Whereas with one of these exciting young guys, our average outcome could be similar but with much higher variability. What if the guy totally didn't work and our defense actually regressed and we didn't even make Divisional Round because of it?

I guess if I thought we were really far away from a Super Bowl, I'd be much more inclined to take the risk of one of these young guys. But Reid presumably knows exactly what he's getting with Spagnuolo which isn't a bad thing when we're this close. Add to that the fact that Reid probably wants to take a very hands-off approach with the defense and needs an adult in that role.

Not saying I like the decision, but I understand it. There are so many factors that are going to determine whether this is a successful hire or not, so I'm not inclined to have too strong of an opinion at this point one way or the other.

Not wanting to take the risk got us stuck in slightly above average mediocrity for 5 years.

Raiderhater 01-23-2019 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwistedChief (Post 14066730)

How does one regress from the position of worst?

Reerun_KC 01-23-2019 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14066706)
Did you guys really think he was going to go out of his comfort zone to hire someone?

It's Andy Reid we're talking about here.

And the main reason Mart.... I mean Fat Andy cant win the big games...

Gravedigger 01-23-2019 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedingRed (Post 14066738)

Yards = 20th
Points = 20th
Passing Yards = 19th
Rushing Yards = 20th

Well... we did say we just needed to get to the 15-20 range on Defense and then we'd have a Dynasty.

KCUnited 01-23-2019 10:47 AM

Spaglund's

TwistedChief 01-23-2019 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiderhader (Post 14066745)
How does one regress from the position of worst?

Allow more points per game than the 2018 version of the team and lose more games as a result.

I agree this defense was terrible. Historically bad. And bringing in almost anyone should be better. But it's not impossible for this defense to regress with the wrong style of coach.

BleedingRed 01-23-2019 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravedigger (Post 14066747)
Well... we did say we just needed to get to the 15-20 range on Defense and then we'd have a Dynasty.

We don't have the players he has in NY during 2016, and we do not have Michael Strahan - Osi Umenyiora from 2007

Sorce 01-23-2019 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In58men (Post 14066721)

ROFL

****ing CP

This franchise does like to shoot itself in the dick with a nail gun repeatedly.

Chris Meck 01-23-2019 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedingRed (Post 14066716)
This is incorrect, Spags Defensive units have some of the lowest Blitz Percentages.

well, I guess the dozen articles breaking down his tendencies, concepts and schemes that I've read this morning are all wrong and you are correct.

kcclone 01-23-2019 10:49 AM

Quote:

Yards = 20th
Points = 20th
Passing Yards = 19th
Rushing Yards = 20th

Sadly that's a massive improvement.

IIRC, Bob Sutton's D's basically trended straight down YoY in both points and yards until we were in the 30's.

TimeForWasp 01-23-2019 10:49 AM

I hope this is Fake News.

The Franchise 01-23-2019 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedingRed (Post 14066752)
We don't have the players he has in NY during 2016, and we do not have Michael Strahan - Osi Umenyiora from 2007

Such world beaters he had in 2016 right?

Quote:

Defensive linemen

96 Jay Bromley DT
95 Johnathan Hankins DT
98 Damon Harrison DT
58 Owa Odighizuwa DE
78 Romeo Okwara DE
90 Jason Pierre-Paul DE
99 Robert Thomas DT
54 Olivier Vernon DE
72 Kerry Wynn DE

Linebackers
52 Jonathan Casillas OLB
93 B. J. Goodson MLB
94 Mark Herzlich OLB
59 Devon Kennard OLB
57 Keenan Robinson OLB
91 Kelvin Sheppard MLB
53 Deontae Skinner OLB
97 Ishaq Williams OLB

Defensive backs

33 Andrew Adams FS
24 Eli Apple CB
29 Nat Berhe FS
21 Landon Collins SS
25 Leon Hall CB
20 Janoris Jenkins CB
37 Eric Pinkins SS
30 Coty Sensabaugh CB
31 Trevin Wade CB
I mean....look at all of that Hall of Fame talent.

Reerun_KC 01-23-2019 10:50 AM

Quote:

Yards = 20th
Points = 20th
Passing Yards = 19th
Rushing Yards = 20th

Garbage out / Garbage in

Zero creativity, passion or risk = same results

wazu 01-23-2019 10:50 AM

Going on record - I hate this hire. Hope I'm wrong.

chiefforlife 01-23-2019 10:51 AM

I have watched some of the videos on Spags. One thing is very clear, he is a student of the game. He clearly understands what is happening on the field and how best to defend it.
He is aggressive and does not sit back and let the offense dictate.

This is what we have been asking for. No more long sustained drives keeping our Offense off the field.

IF this is the guy, lets give him a chance. The game has changed but he is well suited to change also.
We know he has the attitude we are looking for.

Reerun_KC 01-23-2019 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pest (Post 14066758)
Such world beaters he had in 2016 right?

I mean....look at all of that Hall of Fame talent.

We have the same lack of talent on this D as well... Your point?

Sassy Squatch 01-23-2019 10:51 AM

Giants fan on Spagnuolo.

Very much bend don’t break mentality and it felt like we struggled to make stops on 3rd downs and allowed long drives but became shutdown in the red zone.

Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope.

RaidersOftheCellar 01-23-2019 10:51 AM

Just hire Rex Ryan, for God's sake. All of his defenses were at least decent, and most were very good.

And he also had some success vs the Patriots. Just go get his ass.

In58men 01-23-2019 10:52 AM

He knows he needs to be better than Sutton. I think he gets it.

Not jumping off the cliff just yet like most have already done.

RollChiefsRoll 01-23-2019 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaidersOftheCellar (Post 14066769)
Just hire Rex Ryan, for God's sake. All of his defenses were at least decent, and most were very good.

Clark won't have it. Tavia has nice feet.

In58men 01-23-2019 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 14066768)
Giants fan on Spagnuolo.

Very much bend don’t break mentality and it felt like we struggled to make stops on 3rd downs and allowed long drives but became shutdown in the red zone.

Hot take

ROFL

RealSNR 01-23-2019 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 14066445)
How the hell does one pronounce his last name?

Say “I” and then spell “cup”

TribalElder 01-23-2019 10:53 AM

Hire someone who is average at best as long as they don't challenge you as a head coach

then when it doesn't work out

do that again

Raiderhater 01-23-2019 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwistedChief (Post 14066751)
Allow more points per game than the 2018 version of the team and lose more games as a result.

I agree this defense was terrible. Historically bad. And bringing in almost anyone should be better. But it's not impossible for this defense to regress with the wrong style of coach.

With the offense we have I have a really hard time seeing how the defense could possibly regress to the point of costing us many more games, if any at all.

Sassy Squatch 01-23-2019 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaidersOftheCellar (Post 14066769)

No. That's even worse than Spagnuolo. At least we're changing fronts by hiring Spagnuolo.

The Franchise 01-23-2019 10:54 AM

I'll hold out hope that this is just being floated by his agent.....but I assumed this is who we would hire from the get go.

It's whatever...

BryanBusby 01-23-2019 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 14066778)
No. That's even worse than Spagnuolo. At least we're changing fronts by hiring Spagnuolo.

Bend but don't break II is gonna be lit with an extra fatty on the field.

Sassy Squatch 01-23-2019 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In58men (Post 14066773)
Hot take

ROFL

Better than having absolutely nothing like you.

"Guys, dont jump off the cliff yet LMAOROFLLMAOROFLLMAO,"

Reerun_KC 01-23-2019 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefforlife (Post 14066763)
I have watched some of the videos on Spags. One thing is very clear, he is a student of the game. He clearly understands what is happening on the field and how best to defend it.
He is aggressive and does not sit back and let the offense dictate.

This is what we have been asking for. No more long sustained drives keeping our Offense off the field.

IF this is the guy, lets give him a chance. The game has changed but he is well suited to change also.
We know he has the attitude we are looking for.

He will be Bob Sutton Lite.... Just because he puts on a Chiefs red doesnt make all the things you said true...

He still is rehashed trash, being passed team to team with the same results.

BleedingRed 01-23-2019 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 14066754)
well, I guess the dozen articles breaking down his tendencies, concepts and schemes that I've read this morning are all wrong and you are correct.

I am, because he blitzs at 29% clip based off STATISTICAL ANALYSIS of when he sends 5 or more guys. Which is BELOW league average.

Reerun_KC 01-23-2019 10:55 AM

Quote:

Giants fan on Spagnuolo.

And there it is...

RaidersOftheCellar 01-23-2019 10:56 AM

Quote:

Giants fan on Spagnuolo.

I can't handle another year of bend don't break, "Hey, let's keep our QB off the field for 10 minutes!" bullshit.

BleedingRed 01-23-2019 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 14066778)

Rex Ryan has never run a Bend don't Break defense. Period, not up for debate.