ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Tarantino: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=315719)

sully1983 07-26-2019 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 14364659)
Damn that's so tough to hear as I want to see this real bad as I haven't been to the movies in about 10 years.

WITHOUT getting into plot lines or spoilers, why was it so disappointing to you? :hmmm:

Its probably my own fault tbh. I was hyping the **** out of this film. Leonardo Dicaprio's 1st film in 4 years, combined that with Brad Pitt starring alongside him with Tarantino directing. I thought it'd be so great but honestly it was a pointless/self indulgent bore.

For example, the Sharon Tate angle / story line was stupid.

mnchiefsguy 07-26-2019 12:04 PM

This movie was ****ing amazing!

If you are a QT fan you will love it.

Baby Lee 07-26-2019 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 14364631)
Netflix streams it from time to time

Went ahead and queued it last night.

Was an excellent film, if a tad Hollywood-stylized [which I realize is an odd criticism of this particular film, and it's not it's fault, but time has witnessed a move away from prestige films looking like Hollywood productions, . . grittier, less 'star power,' ironically].

The performances were great, but the one true star of the movie is James Elroy. Such a narrative. Such writing.

A close second was Cromwell's understated accent. Could so easily have fallen into caricature.

I disagree that Basinger was the weakest acting of the bunch. But I do think her OScar was lifted a bit by Hollywood's love of her character [they love when Hollywood lionizes Hollywood /cough Shakespeare in Love]. This also was Elroy's creativity.

Frazod 07-26-2019 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 14365170)
Went ahead and queued it last night.

Was an excellent film, if a tad Hollywood-stylized [which I realize is an odd criticism of this particular film, and it's not it's fault, but time has witnessed a move away from prestige films looking like Hollywood productions, . . grittier, less 'star power,' ironically].

The performances were great, but the one true star of the movie is James Elroy. Such a narrative. Such writing.

A close second was Cromwell's understated accent. Could so easily have fallen into caricature.

I disagree that Basinger was the weakest acting of the bunch. But I do think her OScar was lifted a bit by Hollywood's love of her character [they love when Hollywood lionizes Hollywood /cough Shakespeare in Love]. This also was Elroy's creativity.

She basically had no character arc. She started as a whore with a heart of gold type and ended that way. OTOH all the other main characters change significantly as the story unfolds.

Don't get me wrong - I thought Basinger did a excellent job. Just not as good as the others.

Ironically, one of the pivotal moments of the film - when Dudley asks Exley about Rolo Tomasi - wasn't in the book. Elroy said he was just as surprised by that as everybody else.

BigRedChief 07-26-2019 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cave Johnson (Post 14364667)
I really liked it, but if you go in expecting Kill Bill, Basterds, or Django, you’ll be disappointed.

It’s more of an atmospheric mood piece & vehicle for QT to reflect on his place in a changing industry.

its a different movie from Tarantino. It’s a period piece. Atmosphere. Style. Location. Cinematography are important. It’s about a time, not driving a plot. In some parts it is classic Tarantino. Shots behind the driver in a car etc.

I loved the movie. But, this is in no way his best film, better than a Pulp Fiction. GTFO. If your a Tarantino fan, you’ll love it. I don’t see how in this era of superheroes, animation or franchise action movies there is room for a mass audience for this movie.

BigRedChief 07-26-2019 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sully1983 (Post 14364928)

For example, the Sharon Tate angle / story line was stupid.

on a side note, I can see where Tarantino got pissed about lack of dialogue from Robbie. I definitely had a clear impression of the type of person Sharon Tate was as portrayed by Tarantino. It was a totally BS premise and question.

BigRedChief 07-26-2019 04:02 PM

Tarantino discussed "many times" the Brad Pitt role with Tom Cruise and offered him the role but he turned him down. Cruise in a Tarantino movie? :#

neech 07-26-2019 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 14356217)
I mean, if DiCaprio is in it, how can it be bad? The dude is going to go down as the best actor of all time.

lol

neech 07-26-2019 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepPurple (Post 14359973)
One of Kennedy's body guards was former football player and 'fearsome foursome' member of the Rams Rosey Grier, in the photo top left.

https://a.scpr.org/i/951fc8862e0e8b2...53598-full.jpg

I think he needed more body guards.

Deberg_1990 07-26-2019 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 14365495)
Tarantino discussed "many times" the Brad Pitt role with Tom Cruise and offered him the role but he turned him down. Cruise in a Tarantino movie? :#

Yea I remember they flirted with getting Cruise.

He also wanted Will Smith as Django first too. That would have been interesting

staylor26 07-26-2019 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 14365591)
Yea I remember they flirted with getting Cruise.

He also wanted Will Smith as Django first too. That would have been interesting

Somebody: Wild Wild West?

Will Smith: Sign me up!

QT: Django Unchained?

Will Smith: No thanks!

Dude is ****ing terrible at selecting roles.

staylor26 07-26-2019 08:09 PM

I loved it, as I do all of QT’s movies. He’s my favorite Director. He has one bad movie (Death Proof) and it might be my favorite bad movie ever.

Deberg_1990 07-26-2019 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14365732)
Somebody: Wild Wild West?

Will Smith: Sign me up!

QT: Django Unchained?

Will Smith: No thanks!

Dude is ****ing terrible at selecting roles.

He’s all about image and making family friendly or wide audience pictures

Which is fine. He knows what he is and doesn’t try and push himself much

Deberg_1990 07-26-2019 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14365735)
I loved it, as I do all of QT’s movies. He’s my favorite Director. He has one bad movie (Death Proof) and it might be my favorite bad movie ever.

I didn’t like it much at first, but it’s grown on me a lot.

Kurt “****ing” Russell is amazing as Stunt Man Mike.

Buns 07-26-2019 09:29 PM

I am a big QT fan. Love all his films. I think this is my personal favorite of his, and that's mostly because of how good Brad and Leo are.

I think it's really, really good and I see how opinions can be divisive on it.

KCUnited 07-26-2019 10:23 PM

Ugh, felt like watching that band you loved in the 90s reuniting for a tour because someone's going through a divorce/midlife crisis. Moments of brilliance combined with low hanging fruit groaners. Sold out show with people over laughing and applauding so I'm likely the minority. Yes, I knew what to expect going in.

It is filmed perfectly though. A perfectly frosted turd, imo.

vailpass 07-27-2019 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 14365246)
its a different movie from Tarantino. It’s a period piece. Atmosphere. Style. Location. Cinematography are important. It’s about a time, not driving a plot. In some parts it is classic Tarantino. Shots behind the driver in a car etc.

I loved the movie. But, this is in no way his best film, better than a Pulp Fiction. GTFO. If your a Tarantino fan, you’ll love it. I don’t see how in this era of superheroes, animation or franchise action movies there is room for a mass audience for this movie.

Which sucks. I hope they get back to making original movies at some point. Remakes, repeats, and comic books are fine as one course but not the whole meal. Every day. For years.
Can we get another There Will Be Blood and No Country For Old Men type of year?

Predarat 07-27-2019 12:28 PM

I liked it, alot. Not my favorite Tarantino but somewhere in the middle, exactly where I have no idea yet until I watch it a few more times. The middle did kind of drag on a bit, could have made it a shorter movie. If you like Tarantino and/or that era of Hollywood you will probably like it.

RINGLEADER 07-27-2019 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predarat (Post 14366266)
I liked it, alot. Not my favorite Tarantino but somewhere in the middle, exactly where I have no idea yet until I watch it a few more times. The middle did kind of drag on a bit, could have made it a shorter movie. If you like Tarantino and/or that era of Hollywood you will probably like it.

Pretty much how I felt.

Not as good as Pulp Fiction or Inglorious Bastards but as good as or better than the rest.

BWillie 07-27-2019 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cave Johnson (Post 14364667)
I really liked it, but if you go in expecting Kill Bill, Basterds, or Django, you’ll be disappointed.

It’s more of an atmospheric mood piece & vehicle for QT to reflect on his place in a changing industry.

I didn't really think any of those movies were thaaat good, they were too "comic booky". IB was the best of the bunch IMO. I get that is part of Tarentino's allure, but when I heard this was a more mature Tarentino it perked my interest.

BigRedChief 07-27-2019 02:24 PM

Ranking them

Pulp Fiction
Inglorious Bastards
Reserviour Dogs
Kill Bill
Once upon a time in Hollywood
Django
Kill Bill 2
Jackie Brown
Death Proof

Bowser 07-27-2019 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 14366376)
Ranking them

Pulp Fiction
Reservoir Dogs
Kill Bill 1
Kill Bill 2
Inglorious Bastards
Django
Jackie Brown
Death Proof
(Once Upon a Time in Hollywood*)

FIFY

*haven't seen it yet

scho63 07-27-2019 02:46 PM

Really looks like a Love it or Leave it movie for most who have seen it.

Easy 6 07-27-2019 02:55 PM

Read a review that said it’s EVERYTHING you ever wanted it to be... right up until the last 20 minutes

Which will be good enough to earn my $10

EPodolak 07-27-2019 06:39 PM

Just got back from the theater,I enjoyed it. Storytelling turned on it's head, and about storytelling itself. Not as entertaining as some other QT films but definitely a smart movie IMO

underEJ 07-27-2019 07:39 PM

I really enjoyed it. I’ll probably see it again.

Why Not? 07-27-2019 11:12 PM

Just got back from seeing this. I get why some folks didn’t love it. Personally, I thought it was phenomenal! DiCaprio’s character is so great and Pitt was as great as he’s ever been in anything. Like it or not, you cannot tell the story of America without L.A. and L.A. may have never been as important as it was during that time period(it’s not really that big of a deal nowadays). QT takes you on a throwback journey and ties in one of the most horrific, yet interesting pieces of American cultural history. Plus an awesome soundtrack and plenty of Tarantino Easter eggs.

BigRedChief 07-28-2019 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Why Not? (Post 14366983)
Just got back from seeing this. I get why some folks didn’t love it. Personally, I thought it was phenomenal! DiCaprio’s character is so great and Pitt was as great as he’s ever been in anything. Like it or not, you cannot tell the story of America without L.A. and L.A. may have never been as important as it was during that time period(it’s not really that big of a deal nowadays). QT takes you on a throwback journey and ties in one of the most horrific, yet interesting pieces of American cultural history. Plus an awesome soundtrack and plenty of Tarantino Easter eggs.

Pitt and DiCaprio's performances should get Oscar nods.This film highlighted why they are two of the best actors in this era.

As usual the music soundtrack from the era chosen by Tarantino helped provided another layer to the events happening on the screen. He is a master at using music to help tell his vision.

I laughed out loud at one Easter egg that was not so subtle, the poster of the Nazi pic directed by the Italian maestro "Mar-ga-ray-ti!" pronounced the way Pitt pronounce it to Hans when trying to get into the theater in Inglorious Bastards.

Why Not? 07-28-2019 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 14367093)
Pitt and DiCaprio's performances should get Oscar nods.This film highlighted why they are two of the best actors in this era.

As usual the music soundtrack from the era chosen by Tarantino helped provided another layer to the events happening on the screen. He is a master at using music to help tell his vision.

I laughed out loud at one Easter egg that was not so subtle, the poster of the Nazi pic directed by the Italian maestro "Mar-ga-ray-ti!" pronounced the way Pitt pronounce it to Hans when trying to get into the theater in Inglorious Bastards.

Yeah I loved that one!

scho63 07-28-2019 01:57 PM

One of the movie junkies here at Amazon saw it and said it was one of his favorite Tarantino movies!

Pepe Silvia 07-28-2019 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 14366421)
Read a review that said it’s EVERYTHING you ever wanted it to be... right up until the last 20 minutes

This was my opinion of the film.

Predarat 07-28-2019 03:28 PM

Tough to rank Tarrantino films because I really like them all, but this is mine for now, I change them some when I see them again, and Once Upon A Time In Hollywood could change too.

My top 3
Pulp Fiction
Resevoir Dogs
Inglorious Basterds

Awesome
Jackie Brown
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
Kill Bill 2
Kill Bill 1

Really good
Django
Hateful Eight
Deathproof

Bowser 07-28-2019 04:23 PM

It was a nostalgia bomb of a movie, I'll give it that. For the rest....I'm not really sure. It's somewhere between a big fat "meh" and pretty damned entertaining at different points and spots throughout. Good job by the actors and it's shot beautifully, though.

Sorry 07-29-2019 12:10 AM

Last 20 mins was my wife's and I fav part. I want more Brad and leo duos

Pennywise 07-29-2019 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 14367093)

Ouch.

Quote:

Before we get the Technicolor soap opera version headed for primetime, we must suffer through two and a half hours of dropping a multitude of forgotten Hollywood names from Virna Lisi to Audie Murphy, accompanied by a floating toxic cloud of numbing, bubble gum rock.
https://observer.com/2019/07/once-up...bbie-rex-reed/

Baby Lee 07-29-2019 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pennywise (Post 14368475)

If you dismiss Audie Murphy as a 'forgotten Hollywood name' you are a bad American.

Bowser 07-29-2019 06:46 PM

QT has stated he's only doing 10 movies, right? Well, this one kind of felt like it should have been his farewell project to me, if that's the case.

Predarat 07-30-2019 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 14369403)
QT has stated he's only doing 10 movies, right? Well, this one kind of felt like it should have been his farewell project to me, if that's the case.

Would the Star Trek film count? Also he counts the Kill Bill series as 1 so a Kill Bill 3 could be worked into that as well.

saphojunkie 07-30-2019 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 14364375)
Saw some interviews with him where he talked about the movie being a love letter to his home town.

You don't need to hear him say that to know it.

I've been teaching screenwriting in Chicago all summer, and was kind of nervous about heading back to LA. What if I'd fallen out of love with it?

Watched this movie in 70mm at the Music Box, and I couldn't be more excited to go home.

Lots and lots and lots of people have tried to make a movie about the movies. There is always a layer of artifice to it that you cannot escape. Not with this one. It's just everything there is to love about Hollywood. Not Los Angeles - Hollywood. LA is a city. Hollywood is a state of being.

Thankfully, the other film faculty here is a bunch of crazy smart European and Lebanese filmmakers from Columbia University, so having a conversation about movies is like talking food with a Michelin star chef.

Last night, one of the directing faculty and I were having drinks, he looks at me and says "The more time I spend away from that movie..." and I finish his sentence:

The more you love it.

Yep.

I have to see it a couple more times to know what I think. Right now, I suspect it is Tarantino's opus. I'm not sure. Have to think about it. But I don't need time to know how I feel:

I ****ing LOVE it.

saphojunkie 07-30-2019 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 14366421)

That person doesn't understand how storytelling works.

underEJ 07-30-2019 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 14370294)

Tarantino's work always has a level of intricately woven connections to the storytelling, and in this case the real world incident that is woven into his characters' paths is already very Tarantino like in it's crazy connections. I thought it worked beautifully.

dirk digler 07-30-2019 12:29 PM

We went and saw it Sunday and I thought it was just ok with the last 20 minutes as being awesome while the previous 2 hrs was a completely different movie IMHO.

JD10367 07-30-2019 12:56 PM

It was okay. Not horrible, not great. As usual, Tarantino‘s greatest strength—overlong scenes and wandering dialogue—is also his greatest weakness. The western scene went on too long, and the whole “Margot Robbie going into the theater to watch herself” didn’t even need to be in the movie at all.

Easy 6 07-30-2019 04:38 PM

Quote:

For what it’s worth, your previous post sold me... gonna check it out tomorrow night

Although I did hear that Bruce Lee’s family is very unhappy with how he was portrayed as some arrogant jerk... SHAME ON YOU QUENTIN

srvy 07-30-2019 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 14370605)
It was okay. Not horrible, not great. As usual, Tarantino‘s greatest strength—overlong scenes and wandering dialogue—is also his greatest weakness. The western scene went on too long, and the whole “Margot Robbie going into the theater to watch herself” didn’t even need to be in the movie at all.

Yeah it was ok about middle of the pack of my favorite QT movies.

Maybe The Irishman will make up for my disappointment here.

Baby Lee 07-30-2019 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 14370920)
For what it’s worth, your previous post sold me... gonna check it out tomorrow night

Although I did hear that Bruce Lee’s family is very unhappy with how he was portrayed as some arrogant jerk... SHAME ON YOU QUENTIN

The scene where Mike Tyson kicked his ass was unnecessary. ;)

Easy 6 07-30-2019 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 14370934)
The scene where Mike Tyson kicked his ass was unnecessary. ;)

ROFL

KCUnited 07-30-2019 05:17 PM

I totally thought about CP during the Bruce Lee part and chuckled.

EPodolak 07-30-2019 06:08 PM

Quote:

I've heard that missing the point - complaint in other places. QT's story about storytelling needed to end just like it did.

vailpass 07-30-2019 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 14370288)

I've been teaching screenwriting in Chicago all summer, and was kind of nervous about heading back to LA. What if I'd fallen out of love with it?

Watched this movie in 70mm at the Music Box, and I couldn't be more excited to go home.

Lots and lots and lots of people have tried to make a movie about the movies. There is always a layer of artifice to it that you cannot escape. Not with this one. It's just everything there is to love about Hollywood. Not Los Angeles - Hollywood. LA is a city. Hollywood is a state of being.

Thankfully, the other film faculty here is a bunch of crazy smart European and Lebanese filmmakers from Columbia University, so having a conversation about movies is like talking food with a Michelin star chef.

Last night, one of the directing faculty and I were having drinks, he looks at me and says "The more time I spend away from that movie..." and I finish his sentence:

The more you love it.

Yep.

I have to see it a couple more times to know what I think. Right now, I suspect it is Tarantino's opus. I'm not sure. Have to think about it. But I don't need time to know how I feel:

I ****ing LOVE it.

LMAO

I’m sorry man, this post just makes me laugh.

Deberg_1990 07-30-2019 09:23 PM

Just watched it. Thought it was decent, but not great. Everything with Cliff Booth was awesome and compelling. the Rick Dalton stuff was just flat to me.

That last 20 or so minutes was superb though.

scho63 07-31-2019 06:54 AM

Amazing how people are seeing the last 20 minutes-it's like the fork in the road

TwistedChief 07-31-2019 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 14371631)
Amazing how people are seeing the last 20 minutes-it's like the fork in the road

I think there were two parts to the last twenty minutes:

1/ the alternate historical ending, which you had to expect given the build-up and the fact that you were at a Tarantino movie
2/ the sheer violence of it all, which actually seemed tame given the gruesome nature of the actual murders (and also something to be expected in a Tarantino movie)

I found it remarkably satisfying. It was exactly what I wanted to see at the end of it. Some want more cowbell, and others want more flamethrower.

I liked the movie for what it was, and I look forward to seeing it again in two years once it's more hazy in my mind.

Deberg_1990 07-31-2019 06:44 PM

Heh, just figured out that 1970s Spideman played Sam Wanamaker. Nicholas Hammond. Was wondering who that was while watching.

Deberg_1990 07-31-2019 07:13 PM

Hahahah

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">SPOILER: IF YOUVE SEEN ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD WATCH THIS. IF YOU HAVENT... <br><br>...WATCH ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD <a href="https://t.co/MqzRkRMLzh">pic.twitter.com/MqzRkRMLzh</a></p>&mdash; ZODIAC MOTHER****ER (@ZODIAC_MF) <a href="https://twitter.com/ZODIAC_MF/status/1156382244669444098?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 31, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

BigRedChief 07-31-2019 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 14372995)
Hahahah

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">SPOILER: IF YOUVE SEEN ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD WATCH THIS. IF YOU HAVENT... <br><br>...WATCH ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD <a href="https://t.co/MqzRkRMLzh">pic.twitter.com/MqzRkRMLzh</a></p>&mdash; ZODIAC MOTHER****ER (@ZODIAC_MF) <a href="https://twitter.com/ZODIAC_MF/status/1156382244669444098?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 31, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Tarantino likes his details. :D

DeepPurple 08-01-2019 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief
Saw some interviews with him where he talked about the movie being a love letter to his home town.
Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 14370288)

Lots and lots and lots of people have tried to make a movie about the movies. There is always a layer of artifice to it that you cannot escape. Not with this one. It's just everything there is to love about Hollywood. Not Los Angeles - Hollywood. LA is a city. Hollywood is a state of being...

I ****ing LOVE it.

A movie about movies that I believe is absolutely perfect is The Player. I've seen it at five times and can still watch it again. It's got the scenery, the story, the acting, the backstabbing, the intrigue, murder and love.

A film about the City of LA, without a doubt it's Chinatown. It's style, music, acting, the story, everything about that town rolled into one. Since the 70's I've probably watched it 40 times. Have it recorded right now along with The Player.

http://www.filmsinfilms.com/wp-conte...-Player-11.jpg

http://film.fiu.edu/wp-content/uploa.../chinatown.jpg

el borracho 08-08-2019 10:51 PM

Rambling and pointless. Then again, I am not a huge Tarantino fan. Soundtrack is cool. Everything else is a bore.

Halfcan 08-12-2019 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el borracho (Post 14386015)
Rambling and pointless. Then again, I am not a huge Tarantino fan. Soundtrack is cool. Everything else is a bore.

I agree. I saw it this weekend. My earlier post was about QT's movies being packed with stars but never go anywhere. Same with this one.

This never went anywhere and the ending was pretty bad. Great acting, amazing sets (he nailed the Hollywood look) but many scenes were pointless and painfully slow.

It would have been much better if he would have stuck to history and made it a true crime film. The fairy tale flamethrower shit was pretty out there, to say the least. I think the stars did their best with a very weak script and a movie without a true vision of what it was supposed to be. C -

Halfcan 08-12-2019 04:31 PM

BTW

Making Bruce Lee a caricature of himself and getting his ass kicked by Pitt was very stupid.

One reason I wanted to see this "film" was for the Bruce scenes and they were as ridiculous and far-fetched as the rest of the movie. He made him into a joke.

FAX 08-14-2019 11:10 PM

The beautiful and witty Mrs. FAX loved this movie.

I, on the other hand, just felt sad ... pretty much from the beginning all the way to the end. For me, this was a very sad film. Depressing, actually.

FAX

O.city 08-16-2019 08:32 PM

Loved it

The Leo scene in his trailer had me rolling. “8 whiskey sours, why can’t you only have 3 or 4 you ****ing alcoholic”

Then Pitt in the end scene.

Deberg_1990 08-16-2019 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14397561)
Loved it

The Leo scene in his trailer had me rolling. “8 whiskey sours, why can’t you only have 3 or 4 you ****ing alcoholic”

Then Pitt in the end scene.

Pitt made the movie for me. Cliff Booth for life!

Tribal Warfare 08-17-2019 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 14391879)
BTW

Making Bruce Lee a caricature of himself and getting his ass kicked by Pitt was very stupid.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I thought you would like to read the article that I wrote for <a href="https://twitter.com/THR?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@THR</a> about Quentin Tarantino’s film: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood regarding the films portrayal of Bruce Lee<a href="https://t.co/DDMnR7wdIL">https://t.co/DDMnR7wdIL</a></p>&mdash; Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (@kaj33) <a href="https://twitter.com/kaj33/status/1162398315318636544?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 16, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sorry 08-17-2019 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 14397685)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I thought you would like to read the article that I wrote for <a href="https://twitter.com/THR?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@THR</a> about Quentin Tarantino’s film: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood regarding the films portrayal of Bruce Lee<a href="https://t.co/DDMnR7wdIL">https://t.co/DDMnR7wdIL</a></p>&mdash; Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (@kaj33) <a href="https://twitter.com/kaj33/status/1162398315318636544?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 16, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I get that article but it's told be a guy who has high reverance (so) for Bruce Lee.i understand the big bold all American looking Brad pitt destroys the Asian Bruce Lee can hold some old hollywood racial tropes...but that was kinda the point in ONCE UPON a time in Hollywood.

Wasn't Brad Pitts character a former solder and he was obviously highly trained and even killed his wife? Size matters in physical confrontations.

Halfcan 08-17-2019 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 14397685)

I agree with Kareem. The scenes with Bruce were so far detached from reality it was a farce-pretty much like the rest of the movie.

QT had the potential to make an incredible movie based on a turbulent time in American history. Instead, he made a fairy tale and wasted a lot of great acting performances.

Deberg_1990 08-17-2019 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 14398004)
I agree with Kareem. The scenes with Bruce were so far detached from reality it was a farce-pretty much like the rest of the movie.

QT had the potential to make an incredible movie based on a turbulent time in American history. Instead, he made a fairy tale and wasted a lot of great acting performances.

How many QT movies have you seen?

This is what he does. He makes fantasy films. Especially the ones ever since Kill Bill. He’s deep into revisionist history.

Cliff Booth is a fictional character so he can be as strong or as weak as the writer wants him to be.

Miles 08-17-2019 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 14398240)

This is what he does. He makes fantasy films. Especially the ones ever since Kill Bill. He’s deep into revisionist history.

Cliff Booth is a fictional character so he can be as strong or as weak as the writer wants him to be.

I thought it was pretty clear how it was shot as Cliff remembering the event we were getting his version as well.

Deberg_1990 08-17-2019 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 14398262)
I thought it was pretty clear how it was shot as Cliff remembering the event we were getting his version as well.

Yep, i would agree with that.

Like Kareem mentioned, old Hollywood was extremely racist, so it wouldnt have been out of the ordinary for Cliff Booth to think of Bruce Lee as inferior.

Anyways, i thought it was a badass scene. cool fighting and then extremely funny once Kurt Russels wife shows up and breaks it up.

BigRichard 08-18-2019 06:06 PM

This movie was great. The last twenty minutes was the best and I consider Pitt the best part of this movie. The entire theater was cracking up with the last twenty minutes. It did drag a little but second half was great.

Deberg_1990 08-18-2019 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRichard (Post 14400045)
This movie was great. The last twenty minutes was the best and I consider Pitt the best part of this movie. The entire theater was cracking up with the last twenty minutes. It did drag a little but second half was great.

I was reading something interesting yesterday. The movie assumes you know the basic facts of the Tate murder going in. If you don’t know then a viewer might be quite puzzled by the ending. The movie never really tells you much about Manson and his crew.

TipRoast 08-21-2019 03:28 AM

If you're a fan of hard science fiction, then Robert L. Forward's <u>Dragon's Egg</u> may appeal to you.

It's the story of a race of intelligent beings living on the surface of a neutron star; the star is careening through the solar system at the time of the story.

Halfcan 08-21-2019 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 14398240)

All of them.

Booth was fictional but Lee is not- so that was the point. QT made him into a joke- revisionist history for sure. :rolleyes:

Deberg_1990 08-22-2019 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 14403606)
All of them.

Booth was fictional but Lee is not- so that was the point. QT made him into a joke- revisionist history for sure. :rolleyes:

No one will complain, but Patricia Krenwinkel and Charles “Tex” Watson we’re caricatures of the real people as well.

Same as Goebells and Hitler in Basterds.

It’s what he does.

I guess what I was trying to say was, there’s no reasonable expectation going in that the Lee portrayal would be serious and accurate.

Did anyone really watch that and think to themselves “yep, that’s what Bruce Lee was really like” ??

BigRedChief 08-22-2019 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 14404891)
No one will complain, but Patricia Krenwinkel and Charles “Tex” Watson we’re caricatures of the real people as well.

Same as Goebells and Hitler in Basterds.

It’s what he does.

I guess what I was trying to say was, there’s no reasonable expectation going in that the Lee portrayal would be serious and accurate.

Did anyone really watch that and think to themselves “yep, that’s what Bruce Lee was really like” ??

Tarantino takes liberties and changes histories of real people. This isn’t new. This is what he does.

BTW, how far has Hollywood fallen? This is the only original movie to make $100 million this summer. The rest were remakes, next chapter, sequels etc.

KCUnited 08-22-2019 07:15 PM

As a surface level viewer, was the young girl 'suck your dick in the car' thing a Manson thing, a Cliff Booth dream thing, a nod towards Hollywood thing, or some combo of any of these?

Bowser 08-22-2019 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 14405428)
As a surface level viewer, was the young girl 'suck your dick in the car' thing a Manson thing, a Cliff Booth dream thing, a nod towards Hollywood thing, or some combo of any of these?

A combo thing, but leaning heavily on the Manson angle. Maybe not a Booth fantasy as he explained to her he wasn't going to jail for her, lol.

Deberg_1990 08-22-2019 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 14405248)

BTW, how far has Hollywood fallen? This is the only original movie to make $100 million this summer. The rest were remakes, next chapter, sequels etc.

Agreed. Actually this was probably one of the themes of the movie. QTs feeling of being phased out of being hip and cool paralleled the changing of the old hollywood guard being phased out in the late 60s early 70s.

Changing times.....

Deberg_1990 08-26-2019 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 14404891)

Well I’ll be damned. Someone is complaining about the Manson family members not being true to life.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Re Once Upon A Time In Hollywood:<br><br>The Manson Family were overt White Supremacists who tried to start a race war w the goal of killing Black folks.<br><br>They werent &quot;hippies&quot; spouting left critiques of media. They were rightwingers.<br><br>This fact flips Tarantino&#39;s allegory on its head.</p>&mdash; Boots Riley (@BootsRiley) <a href="https://twitter.com/BootsRiley/status/1165110357959987201?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 24, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

banecat 08-31-2019 03:40 PM

That ending, probably a top five ever