ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs sign free agent CB David Amerson (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=313979)

pugsnotdrugs19 02-17-2018 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urc Burry (Post 13422610)
You honestly think there is a chance a guy who signed for 17 mil a year 2 years ago is going to come in on a min prove it deal? No chance. He’ll probably get at least 10/yr again. Hell Bennie Logan was never even close to a star and got 8

Amerson signed for 4 years and $35M before getting cut two years later. He got a $2.25M 1-year deal.

It’s not impossible to envision Wilkerson getting a 1-year deal filled with escalators so that he may once again earn another big pay day. No team is going to give him close to the money he got from the Jets in 2016, just like no team was going to give Amerson $9M per year again.

The Franchise 02-17-2018 05:19 PM

Best thing about this signing...is it means we won’t go after ****ing Talib.

Bowser 02-17-2018 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 13422641)

Talib's talent is not debatable, but goddamn could you imagine him and Peters feeding off of each other's hot headedness? Now, if we were talking Chris Harris....

Bowser 02-17-2018 05:40 PM

Look, Randy Moss was shit as a Raider*. He gets traded for a fourth rounder to a team with a real coach and a real sense of vision and direction, then goes on to score 23 touchdowns the very next year. Let's see what Amerson can do in a more stable organization before we bow out of this signing.

*No, David Amerson is not the cornerback equivalent to what Randy Moss was as a receiver, you mouthbreather

Couch-Potato 02-17-2018 05:47 PM

@ $2.25m should he expect to be our #2 Corner? ...or is there still a chance for a splashier pick up?

KCrockaholic 02-17-2018 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Couch-Potato (Post 13422671)
@ $2.25m should he expect to be our #2 Corner? ...or is there still a chance for a splashier pick up?

He's worse than Peters, Fuller, Nelson, Mitchell. Let's pray he's not our #2.

Couch-Potato 02-17-2018 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCrockaholic (Post 13422676)

So maybe just a Gaines replacement?

KCrockaholic 02-17-2018 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Couch-Potato (Post 13422681)
So maybe just a Gaines replacement?

Yes he's an upgrade over Gaines.

TambaBerry 02-17-2018 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCrockaholic (Post 13422676)

Don't be dumb

kccrow 02-17-2018 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13422523)
Truthfully, the Chiefs would probably be best off waiting until 2019 to worry about potentially investing valuable draft capital in the CB position. They’ve got 4 capable starters right now. Anyone they draft isn’t even going to start in the base package.

That position should be an afterthought until the rest of the defense is addressed. We’re in better shape there than any other spot by far.

I get what you're saying, but NFL teams spend 20% of their draft capital on DBs (past 10 years) and about 60% of that number is CB. It's likely that Veach, with 9 picks, selects 2 DBs in this draft with one of those being a CB. This, of course, doesn't mean it will happen, it's just based on 10-year statistics in the NFL.

bigjosh 02-17-2018 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 13422810)
I get what you're saying, but NFL teams spend 20% of their draft capital on DBs (past 10 years) and about 60% of that number is CB. It's likely that Veach, with 9 picks, selects 2 DBs in this draft with one of those being a CB. This, of course, doesn't mean it will happen, it's just based on 10-year statistics in the NFL.

Bolded??? We have 5 picks as of right now... are you assuming we get 4 comp picks?

DaneMcCloud 02-17-2018 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjosh (Post 13422814)
Bolded??? We have 5 picks as of right now... are you assuming we get 4 comp picks?

The Chiefs have a 2, 3, 3, 4, 6, 6, 6 and 7th round picks at this point and they'll receive a Comp Pick for Foles.

bigjosh 02-17-2018 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13422819)
The Chiefs have a 2, 3, 3, 4, 6, 6, 6 and 7th round picks at this point and they'll receive a Comp Pick for Foles.

I thought we only had 2,3,3,4,6. Where did those others all come from? Conditional trades or something?

DaneMcCloud 02-17-2018 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjosh (Post 13422823)
I thought we only had 2,3,3,4,6. Where did those others all come from? Conditional trades or something?

The Chiefs made a bunch of trades last year before final rosters were set. I mis-remembered some of the rounds.

Round 2 (54th overall)
Round 3 (78th overall) (via Washington in Alex Smith trade)
Round 3 (86th overall)
Round 4
Round 5 (comp pick for Nick Foles — could be as high as round 3)
Round 6
Round 7 (via Arizona in Marcus Cooper trade)
Round 7 (via Tennessee in David King trade)
Round 7 (via Seattle in Isaiah Battle trade)

Bowser 02-17-2018 08:17 PM

Very interested to see what Veach does with those picks. If were to have a glimpse of his thought process, he's going to package a few of those picks and move up, maybe a couple of times considering what we get for Foles.

DaneMcCloud 02-17-2018 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 13422836)
Very interested to see what Veach does with those picks. If were to have a glimpse of his thought process, he's going to package a few of those picks and move up, maybe a couple of times considering what we get for Foles.

Yeah, that's what I've been saying this offseason.

I think he'll use one of the late round picks on a punter but I do believe he'll package up a couple of those picks in order to move up in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th round, if necessary, to grab a guy that he wants.

Bowser 02-17-2018 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13422839)
Yeah, that's what I've been saying this offseason.

I think he'll use one of the late round picks on a punter but I do believe he'll package up a couple of those picks in order to move up in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th round, if necessary, to grab a guy that he wants.

Could we be so lucky for him to move us back into the second round for a couple of picks there and get a comp third for Foles? That's asking too much for this franchise, isn't it?

DaneMcCloud 02-17-2018 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 13422842)
Could we be so lucky for him to move us back into the second round for a couple of picks there and get a comp third for Foles? That's asking too much for this franchise, isn't it?

That might take a lot to move into the second round.

I could see him jumping up in the 3rd round once but twice might be too much to ask.

That said, if the Chiefs come away with a 2nd and three 3rd rounders, it's a good bet that they're going to successfully fill some holes.

bigjosh 02-17-2018 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13422829)
The Chiefs made a bunch of trades last year before final rosters were set. I mis-remembered some of the rounds.

Round 2 (54th overall)
Round 3 (78th overall) (via Washington in Alex Smith trade)
Round 3 (86th overall)
Round 4
Round 5 (comp pick for Nick Foles — could be as high as round 3)
Round 6
Round 7 (via Arizona in Marcus Cooper trade)
Round 7 (via Tennessee in David King trade)
Round 7 (via Seattle in Isaiah Battle trade)

nice breakdown. thanks

i didnt remember all of those trades.

pugsnotdrugs19 02-17-2018 08:39 PM

Are we sure that all of those conditional picks are going to go through? I hope so, but we obviously don’t know the terms and I haven’t read anything about whether or not we will receive the compensation.

Hammock Parties 02-17-2018 08:43 PM

Damn, he was basically the worst CB on PFF last year.

Hope he can rebound to his previous form.

Chris Meck 02-17-2018 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 13422857)
Damn, he was basically the worst CB on PFF last year.

Hope he can rebound to his previous form.

Well, from what I'm reading-he's a bump-n-run man corner. Last year, the Raiders ran mostly zone. So, not playing to his strengths. So, we might be encouraged that Veach went and got him, as it would indicate that perhaps we too are ready to start playing tighter man, bump-n-run again. Last year, admittedly due to injury and just plain lack of depth, we did a lot of goofy zone and off-coverage shit.

So, I'm carefully optimistic. Could be that Fuller, Amerson, and Peters might be a killer man CB trio.

Sassy Squatch 02-17-2018 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 13422887)
Well, from what I'm reading-he's a bump-n-run man corner. Last year, the Raiders ran mostly zone. So, not playing to his strengths. So, we might be encouraged that Veach went and got him, as it would indicate that perhaps we too are ready to start playing tighter man, bump-n-run again. Last year, admittedly due to injury and just plain lack of depth, we did a lot of goofy zone and off-coverage shit.

So, I'm carefully optimistic. Could be that Fuller, Amerson, and Peters might be a killer man CB trio.

Nnamdi Asomugha says hello. 4 All Pro seasons as a CB specializing in the press. Signed with the Eagles who put him in a zone defense and he immediately regressed to JAG status. This signing means nothing as far as what defense we run. Its just a 1 year prove it/depth deal.

pugsnotdrugs19 02-17-2018 09:40 PM

Amerson’s strength is off the ball coverage, particularly where he can keep things in front of him and eyes on the QB.

Coach 02-17-2018 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13422897)
Amerson’s strength is off the ball coverage, particularly where he can keep things in front of him and eyes on the QB.

Inconsistency (and injuries) are the biggest problem with Amerson’s game. For as many big plays as Amerson makes on defense, he also gave up many big plays.

He has little experience playing press coverage, and does not gets his hands on opposing receivers often. In off-coverage, he has a tendency to give too much cushion and give up easy passes underneath as a result.

Chief Northman 02-17-2018 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13422855)
Are we sure that all of those conditional picks are going to go through? I hope so, but we obviously don’t know the terms and I haven’t read anything about whether or not we will receive the compensation.

The Foles projected pick might get bumped a round to a 5th. The Cooper conditional should go through, as he had some starts and an ok campaign. The King and Battle conditions will likely void as they were cut by the teams who acquired them.

So likely a 5 and a 6.

Chiefs4TheWin 02-18-2018 05:57 AM

Considering we have Nelson and Mitchell walking on the field, it honestly could not be any worse than what we already had. No, seriously, it can't drop any further.

ct 02-18-2018 08:41 AM

this is a great prove-it deal for a guy who needs the $ motivation.

this is also a 2018 draft flexibility play, we can plug him in that cb2 spot and not force a young draft pick in there if he's not quite ready.

this is also a 2020 comp pick play. he was released, so does not count towards our 2018 comp pick formula. I highly doubt his prove-it deal results in another contract in KC, so if it works for him somewhere else in 2019, it will also work for us in the form of a comp pick in 2020.

i digg it.

Rausch 02-18-2018 08:42 AM

I'm not a fan but hopefully I'm wrong...

DaneMcCloud 02-18-2018 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Northman (Post 13422903)
The Foles projected pick might get bumped a round to a 5th.

No offense but I wish people would stop quoting those ****ing bozos at the Over The Cap. They know absolutely nothing.

They constantly screw up cap numbers and had DJ down for an $8 million dollar cap hit in 2018 because they had no idea that he had a voidable contract.

It's a "fun" site but it's hardly 100% accurate.

Chris Meck 02-18-2018 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach (Post 13422900)
Inconsistency (and injuries) are the biggest problem with Amerson’s game. For as many big plays as Amerson makes on defense, he also gave up many big plays.

He has little experience playing press coverage, and does not gets his hands on opposing receivers often. In off-coverage, he has a tendency to give too much cushion and give up easy passes underneath as a result.

well, I read a couple articles that indicated exactly the opposite, and were blaming Norton's zone schemes for his struggles. So, we'll see I guess. I've not watched him enough personally to judge.

BossChief 02-18-2018 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 13422641)

Why couldn’t they sign both?

Talib would improve the whole defense immensely.

Why don’t you want him?

The Franchise 02-18-2018 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 13423561)
Why couldn’t they sign both?

Talib would improve the whole defense immensely.

Why don’t you want him?

Because he’s a 31 year old piece of shit. I’ll pass....thanks.

Hoover 02-18-2018 12:39 PM

I see we're trading Peters now because we signed Amerson!

I ****ing hate the world we live in. Everything is fake speculation to get clicks. So stupid.

Is Marcus Peters available in trade?
Posted by Mike Florio on February 18, 2018, 10:44 AM EST

Getty Images
With the Chiefs adding veteran cornerback David Amerson and, officially in three weeks, acquiring cornerback Kendall Fuller as part of the Alex Smith trade, some in league circles are wondering whether the Chiefs will be making another transaction involving a cornerback.

The question being asked is whether Marcus Peters, a first-round pick in 2015, is available in trade.

Peters has become one of the better cornerbacks in the NFL, but Peters has at times been a bit of a handful for the Chiefs. The situation came to a head last season, when he seemed to try to get himself ejected, then seemed to assume he was ejected when he wasn’t, then returned to the sidelines with his uniform on and socks off, showing no intent to return to action.

The incident, along with an argument with a coach, got Peters suspended for a game. For the Chiefs, it quietly may have been the last straw.

Subject to a fifth-year option, the Chiefs (or whoever holds his contractual rights) will have to decide by early May whether to extend the contract through 2019. As the new league year approaches, Peters has become a name to watch for a possible trade — especially with the guy who drafted him four years ago now the G.M. in Cleveland.

BossChief 02-18-2018 12:47 PM

If we sign Talib, we would have the best secondary in the NFL and could match up with any offenses WRs and TEs.

With Mahomes at QB putting up lots of points, having a defense that can shut dow opposing receivers would be HIGHLY advantageous the next couple years and we could afford to do so with Peters and Fuller on rookie deals.

Wow just thinking of Peters and Talib on the outside with Fuller in the slot gives me wood.

TambaBerry 02-18-2018 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 13423568)
I see we're trading Peters now because we signed Amerson!

I ****ing hate the world we live in. Everything is fake speculation to get clicks. So stupid.

Is Marcus Peters available in trade?
Posted by Mike Florio on February 18, 2018, 10:44 AM EST

Getty Images
With the Chiefs adding veteran cornerback David Amerson and, officially in three weeks, acquiring cornerback Kendall Fuller as part of the Alex Smith trade, some in league circles are wondering whether the Chiefs will be making another transaction involving a cornerback.

The question being asked is whether Marcus Peters, a first-round pick in 2015, is available in trade.

Peters has become one of the better cornerbacks in the NFL, but Peters has at times been a bit of a handful for the Chiefs. The situation came to a head last season, when he seemed to try to get himself ejected, then seemed to assume he was ejected when he wasn’t, then returned to the sidelines with his uniform on and socks off, showing no intent to return to action.

The incident, along with an argument with a coach, got Peters suspended for a game. For the Chiefs, it quietly may have been the last straw.

Subject to a fifth-year option, the Chiefs (or whoever holds his contractual rights) will have to decide by early May whether to extend the contract through 2019. As the new league year approaches, Peters has become a name to watch for a possible trade — especially with the guy who drafted him four years ago now the G.M. in Cleveland.

that would have to be one of the dumbest moves ever if htey got rid of him

DaneMcCloud 02-18-2018 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TambaBerry (Post 13423616)
that would have to be one of the dumbest moves ever if htey got rid of him

It would depend on the compensation.

Also, keep in mind that if the Chiefs traded him and received draft picks in return, they'd avoid a huge salary cap hit of $16 million or more per season that would result in extending him after 2019.

Bowser 02-18-2018 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13423624)
It would depend on the compensation.

Also, keep in mind that if the Chiefs traded him and received draft picks in return, they'd avoid a huge salary cap hit of $16 million or more per season that would result in extending him after 2019.

What you're suggesting sounds like something Dorsey would have done. If, and it's a mammoth IF, we go after someone like Kyle Fuller or Talib, it's going to be before the draft and not after so we could possibly shop Peters for no less than a first rounder. But even then, we will have ended up spending money on the corner position that we didn't necessarily have to spend THIS season if we do that.

So what's the best move here? I guess it comes down to how badly the Chiefs want to recover their first round pick in '18?

The Franchise 02-18-2018 01:33 PM

The only way I’m trading Peters is if someone offers us a top 10 pick in the first round.

And I’m not blowing it on a CB.

RunKC 02-18-2018 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 13423670)
The only way I’m trading Peters is if someone offers us a top 10 pick in the first round.

I would on Minkah Fitzpatrick. Dude is going to be so good.

pugsnotdrugs19 02-18-2018 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 13423677)
I would on Minkah Fitzpatrick. Dude is going to be so good.

Greg Gabriel says he’s a better prospect than Jalen Ramsey...

Bowser 02-18-2018 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 13423670)

Agreed on both. You get a top 10 pick for Peters, it's pass rusher or bust.

That said, I'm still not convinced trading Peters is the best move. He can be a headache, but he's a rare talent as a cover corner.

BryanBusby 02-18-2018 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13423686)

Hahaha no he is definitely not better than Ramsey.

O.city 02-18-2018 01:41 PM

If David Amerson and fuller are their replacements to bring in to replace Peters, the defense is gonna get worse

Chief Northman 02-18-2018 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13423693)
If David Amerson and fuller are their replacements to bring in to replace Peters, the defense is gonna get worse

Give Veach a little credit. He’d go get another top shelf corner in free agency.
Johnson
Fuller
Gaines
Butler

Chief Northman 02-18-2018 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 13423692)
Hahaha no he is definitely not better than Ramsey.

Did Jalen tell you that himself? :D

The Franchise 02-18-2018 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13423686)

All I’ve read is that Fitzpatrick is a CB/S hybrid and he might be a better safety than CB.

O.city 02-18-2018 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Northman (Post 13423728)
Give Veach a little credit. He’d go get another top shelf corner in free agency.
Johnson
Fuller
Gaines
Butler

Any of those guys as good as peters?

Chief Northman 02-18-2018 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13423733)
Any of those guys as good as peters?

No.

But you probably make your defense better overall by adding an elite pass rusher, or two defensive starters with the draft picks you accrue. You also aren’t doling out huge dollars to a malcontent.

pugsnotdrugs19 02-18-2018 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Northman (Post 13423747)
No.

But you probably make your defense better overall by adding an elite pass rusher, or two defensive starters with the draft picks you accrue. You also aren’t doling out huge dollars to a malcontent.

This is the POV I have. I love Peters, and I'm more than fine with keeping him, but there are definitely some scenarios where trading him probably ends up better for the team in the long run. The compensation would have to be enormous, but it isn't completely unfathomable.

O.city 02-18-2018 02:06 PM

Where’s this elite pass rusher?

And spare me the malcontent hyperbole

O.city 02-18-2018 02:10 PM

Trading the 3rd year player whose on a hall of fame path is def the way to go

Easy 6 02-18-2018 02:14 PM

This would be an earth shaking move by Veach, his biggest move by FAR toward putting his own stamp on the team... as well as fulfilling his promise of getting younger and cheaper

Not sure how to feel about it quite yet, but if it happened... there is no choice but to use that #1 pick at CB

Chief Northman 02-18-2018 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13423758)
Where’s this elite pass rusher?

And spare me the malcontent hyperbole

Are you in the building? His little transgressions in public likely pour over into the locker room too. Be realistic.

Nobody is saying “trade Peters”. But thinking of the prospect would entail serious compensation returning. It is due diligence. Dorsey/Ballard were huge in doing their homework on him. We may never know/find out if Dorsey makes a call to Veach exploring a trade possibility, but Veach would have a price in mind.

Want a name?
Bradley Chubb

O.city 02-18-2018 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Northman (Post 13423777)
Are you in the building? His little transgressions in public likely pour over into the locker room too. Be realistic.

Nobody is saying “trade Peters”. But thinking of the prospect would entail serious compensation returning. It is due diligence. Dorsey/Ballard were huge in doing their homework on him. We may never know/find out if Dorsey makes a call to Veach exploring a trade possibility, but Veach would have a price in mind.

Want a name?
Bradley Chubb

Are you in the know? If we’re gonna be completely speculative about it, that’s fine but call it what it is.

Of course they’d listen. They’d listen on trading Mahomes if someone offered a crazy haul. Even if you make the trade you have to replace said player.

That’s not very easy when said player is on a historic pace to start his career at doing the thing every corner back wishes to do

O.city 02-18-2018 02:19 PM

I’m all about prospects but I’m not all about trading an elite player for a hopeful elite prospect

That’s not ideal

Otter 02-18-2018 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13423783)
Are you in the know? If we’re gonna be completely speculative about it, that’s fine but call it what it is.

Of course they’d listen. They’d listen on trading Mahomes if someone offered a crazy haul. Even if you make the trade you have to replace said player.

That’s not very easy when said player is on a historic pace to start his career at doing the thing every corner back wishes to do

"Historic" is pushing the envelope a little. That's kind of a once in a lifetime type of player term. His tackling alone takes away any historic premonitions. I'll go along with 'elite cover skills' however.

The Franchise 02-18-2018 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 13423803)
"Historic" is pushing the envelope a little. That's kind of a once in a lifetime type of player term. His tackling alone takes away any historic premonitions.

Oh ****ing please.

O.city 02-18-2018 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 13423803)
"Historic" is pushing the envelope a little. That's kind of a once in a lifetime type of player term. His tackling alone takes away any historic premonitions. I'll go along with 'elite cover skills' however.

What’s the most important characteristic a corner can have? Where does Peters stand on that note?

O.city 02-18-2018 02:35 PM

Tackling for a corner back isn’t exactly high on the list of importance for me.

Everyone is different I guess

Easy 6 02-18-2018 02:39 PM

This was floated by Florio, the same guy who said Sutton was retiring iirc

pugsnotdrugs19 02-18-2018 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13423816)
Tackling for a corner back isn’t exactly high on the list of importance for me.

Everyone is different I guess

Peters tackles when he absolutely has to as if his job depends on it. If its 3rd down and the ball carrier is a couple of yards away, he always goes balls out to get him down.

I'll take his 5 forced fumbles given his lack of tackling on less significant downs.

Coach 02-18-2018 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 13423552)
well, I read a couple articles that indicated exactly the opposite, and were blaming Norton's zone schemes for his struggles. So, we'll see I guess. I've not watched him enough personally to judge.

I'd be curious to see how Amerson would do as a free safety though. I see him more of a CF read and react type of a player.

Coach 02-18-2018 02:53 PM

And those who are touting that the Chiefs should sign Talib....

No thanks. He's on the wrong side of 30 and he's what you'd call a "depreciating value" in the CB market.

DaneMcCloud 02-18-2018 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 13423656)
What you're suggesting sounds like something Dorsey would have done. If, and it's a mammoth IF, we go after someone like Kyle Fuller or Talib, it's going to be before the draft and not after so we could possibly shop Peters for no less than a first rounder. But even then, we will have ended up spending money on the corner position that we didn't necessarily have to spend THIS season if we do that.

So what's the best move here? I guess it comes down to how badly the Chiefs want to recover their first round pick in '18?

Yeah, just total speculation on my part, since we seem to be playing this game :D

That said, if the Chiefs could get a Top 10 pick and a 4th for Peters, it would give them total flexibility in the draft and with that top ten pick, they could grab a top shelf CB and maybe something more.

Would that player be as good as Peters? Not likely.

But with that said, a trade like that would allow the Chiefs to bypass shelling out $16 million per year beginning in 2019 to a CB, allow them to get younger across the board and maybe make some deals that bring back 2019 draft picks.

Again, total speculation but it's worth speculating.

TambaBerry 02-18-2018 03:04 PM

I'm not trading a top corner for a draft pick. It's stupid and you should feel stupid for even suggesting it as a possibility. Veach says he wants to get younger. We have a top 5 corner/ turnover machine in Peters.

Easy 6 02-18-2018 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TambaBerry (Post 13423858)
I'm not trading a top corner for a draft pick. It's stupid and you should feel stupid for even suggesting it as a possibility. Veach says he wants to get younger. We have a top 5 corner/ turnover machine in Peters.

I find it highly unlikely as well, but stranger things have happened... and none of us knows what Veach is thinking

KranzDictum 02-18-2018 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach (Post 13423844)
And those who are touting that the Chiefs should sign Talib....

No thanks. He's on the wrong side of 30 and he's what you'd call a "depreciating value" in the CB market.

Talib is willing to tackle and can still cover, he is worth a 2-3 year deal, that is why I don't want to see him leave Denver. The real issue with your D is the front not getting pressure to help out the back end.

I think if Cleveland is willing to give up the #4 pick in the draft for Peters and maybe your 2nd or 3rd, the target would be a pass rusher like Davenport or Chubb if there. I don't see Cleveland giving away it's fourth overall pick for Peters straight up just based on Jimmy Johnson's draft day trade charts. Peters was taken with the 18th pick in the draft if GM's go by spot taken to determine value. It is hard to monetize his draft pick value especially when your talking a top 5 pick.

RealSNR 02-18-2018 03:16 PM

Well, according to like 75% of the dumbshits on this board, the Chiefs were just supposed flat out cut Peters' ass after his pseudo-ejection during a game this year. Because they just "had enough."

Interesting that they're all running on silent or have changed their position to "we should trade him!"

O.city 02-18-2018 03:17 PM

The browns aren’t trading the #4 pick for Peters

Sassy Squatch 02-18-2018 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13423881)

Nope. That's why this is a non issue.

O.city 02-18-2018 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 13423882)
Nope. That's why this is a non issue.

Similarly I’d imagine the chiefs aren’t open to trading Peters

KranzDictum 02-18-2018 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13423881)

I agree, probably Peters and the chiefs 2nd or 3rd and or a mid to low pick in 2019.

RunKC 02-18-2018 03:22 PM

Veach said he wants youth...not old players nearing the end like Talib.

O.city 02-18-2018 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KranzDictum (Post 13423892)
I agree, probably Peters and the chiefs 2nd or 3rd and or a mid to low pick in 2019.

Still isn’t happening

Sassy Squatch 02-18-2018 03:24 PM

LMAO This is the best the Broncos trolls can do now. No wonder Knowmo ran crying and screaming when Dane was mean to him.

Coach 02-18-2018 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KranzDictum (Post 13423876)
Talib is willing to tackle and can still cover, he is worth a 2-3 year deal, that is why I don't want to see him leave Denver. The real issue with your D is the front not getting pressure to help out the back end.

I think if Cleveland is willing to give up the #4 pick in the draft for Peters and maybe your 2nd or 3rd, the target would be a pass rusher like Davenport or Chubb if there. I don't see Cleveland giving away it's fourth overall pick for Peters straight up just based on Jimmy Johnson's draft day trade charts. Peters was taken with the 18th pick in the draft if GM's go by spot taken to determine value. It is hard to monetize his draft pick value especially when your talking a top 5 pick.

While he is willing to tackle and still can cover, I'm not a big fan of spending sums of money on CB's who are on the wrong side of 30. Because some CB's decline gracefully (Terrance Newman is one), some fall off of the cliff as well. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if Denver decides to hold onto him anyways, which would make this discussion moot (which I hope it happens).

I agree with you that KC's issue is the front seven. When you are ranked 25th in the NFL on rush defense, that's going to pose a lot of problems. Not to mention that KC is ranked 24th in the NFL on sacks.

KC needs to targeting their front seven (except Ragland and Houston) to resolve these issues.

Easy 6 02-18-2018 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 13423896)
Veach said he wants youth...not old players nearing the end like Talib.

This

**** that guy, I dont care how good it looks on paper

pugsnotdrugs19 02-18-2018 03:33 PM

I was cool with the Talib idea until we managed to haul Fuller in. Not anymore. Fuller is the better long term option, and probably the better short term option given Talib could slide at any moment.

DaneMcCloud 02-18-2018 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13423888)
Similarly I’d imagine the chiefs aren’t open to trading Peters

I disagree.

The new breed of GM’s across the league are very different than the old school, older men that they’ve replaced. As we’ve seen in the last year alone, teams are more aggressively trading assets for picks. We’ve seen NBA style salary dumps and more player-for-player trades.

We just saw the Redskins trade their best and youngest secondary player in a deal for a QB.

Things are beginning to change in the NFL and with the continuation of a very healthy rise in the salary cap, I’d be surprised if all but the best QB’s are off limits.

Outside of Pat Mahomes and Eric Berry, no one is safe in this new environment.