ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Thanksgiving 2017 food (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=311518)

frozenchief 11-23-2017 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13233872)
Why screw up all that booze with milk,egg yokes, and sugar?

It's like an ice cream base that is preserved by liquor. I have tried it with cognac or brandy and just don't get into it as much. I usually cut out the brandy and double the bourbon. Usually drink it between Christmas and New Year's so I've never had any over about 6 weeks old.

One tip: don't use raw milk. Won't go bad because of alcohol but the enzymes in raw milk will make it a bit funky.

stumppy 11-23-2017 12:55 PM

Decided to do things a little different this year. Getting ready to throw some nice thick Ribeyes on the grill. Still made a few traditional sides but just didn't feel like turkey.
Probably go with turkey for Christmas.

Easy 6 11-23-2017 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumppy (Post 13234364)
Decided to do things a little different this year. Getting ready to throw some nice thick Ribeyes on the grill. Still made a few traditional sides but just didn't feel like turkey.

Its good to switch things up once in a while, nothing wrong with that

I'm hoping to talk Ma into prime rib for Christmas instead of more turkey or ham

SAUTO 11-23-2017 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 13216306)
Aww man, really? I'm the opposite. I wish they served traditional Thanksgiving food more often.
Posted via Mobile Device

Me too. Sometimes i just cook a thanksgiving dinner on a Tuesday in June or July, basically whenever

Fire Me Boy! 11-23-2017 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frozenchief (Post 13234338)
It's like an ice cream base that is preserved by liquor. I have tried it with cognac or brandy and just don't get into it as much. I usually cut out the brandy and double the bourbon. Usually drink it between Christmas and New Year's so I've never had any over about 6 weeks old.

One tip: don't use raw milk. Won't go bad because of alcohol but the enzymes in raw milk will make it a bit funky.

Make some in March when it's not egg nog season. Then have it this time next year. I'll wait for rep.

SAUTO 11-23-2017 01:32 PM

And we always do the family dinner today, then a week later have our "friends thanksgiving" where all our friends and their families come over and we have a potluck type dinner. Cajun fry a couple turkeys and do a spiral cut ham then just let everyone bring most everything else. We had over 50 last year and are adding at least a couple babies this year.

I love this time of year.

Fire Me Boy! 11-23-2017 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAUTO (Post 13234397)
Me too. Sometimes i just cook a thanksgiving dinner on a Tuesday in June or July, basically whenever

There's a member's only club in my office building that would allow us peons to go to the back entrance (not lying) and do something they called "Chef To Go." It used to be a really sweet deal - pick from their entree list for the CTG items, pick it up 10 minutes later, and you'd get a big entree, two sides, a cookie, and a tea or lemonade, and it was $8. And it was actually quite good.

Every Thursday was Thanksgiving day, and one of their selections was roasted turkey, cornbread stuffing, and cranberry sauce, then you could add potatoes or rice. I did that at least twice a month.

SAUTO 11-23-2017 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 13216442)
Anyone have a recommendation for seasoning on a fried turkey?

brine it, inject out with Cajun butter, then pull the skin away from the breast and pack some slap ya momma in there wirh seasoned salt. Stretch the skin back over it and fry.

Bad ass

stumppy 11-23-2017 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 13234388)
Its good to switch things up once in a while, nothing wrong with that

I'm hoping to talk Ma into prime rib for Christmas instead of more turkey or ham

It was a toss up between prime rib and ribeye.

Easy 6 11-23-2017 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumppy (Post 13234435)
It was a toss up between prime rib and ribeye.

Cant go wrong either way

What sides you throwing in with that ribeye?

Fire Me Boy! 11-23-2017 03:16 PM

I have an acquaintance who did this with turkey. I may have to try it sometime. Watching Jacques Pepin work is hypnotic.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ku5p1CcGn70" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Why Not? 11-23-2017 03:32 PM

So....full.....need...nap

TimBone 11-23-2017 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 13234242)
Turkey resting while I finish the rest of the sides.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...179e2f6e36.jpg

Damn that's looking good, FMB.

TimBone 11-23-2017 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumppy (Post 13234364)

Ribeyes don't sound bad at all.

TimBone 11-23-2017 03:52 PM

I forgot to take a picture, but the wife snagged one before we dug in. I was worried that I over cooked it in the smoker, but it turned out great. Very juicy, but that's probably because I injected it with a full jar of Cajun butter.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...fa6be11d66.jpg

frozenchief 11-23-2017 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 13234502)
I have an acquaintance who did this with turkey. I may have to try it sometime. Watching Jacques Pepin work is hypnotic.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ku5p1CcGn70" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You ever sous vide a turkey? I did last year. Very moist and flavorful.

Skin was done a bit weirdly. I put it between two large baking sheets and weighted the top one down. Put in an oven at 350 for about 30 minutes and served on the side. But even the breast was moist.

Fire Me Boy! 11-23-2017 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frozenchief (Post 13234559)
You ever sous vide a turkey? I did last year. Very moist and flavorful.

Skin was done a bit weirdly. I put it between two large baking sheets and weighted the top one down. Put in an oven at 350 for about 30 minutes and served on the side. But even the breast was moist.

Never turkey, but I do chicken sous vide all the time. It's excellent!

Dunit35 11-23-2017 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Why Not? (Post 13234527)
So....full.....need...nap

Both my toddlers are asleep. I already fell asleep once and took a big deuce.

cooper barrett 11-23-2017 04:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 13234502)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ku5p1CcGn70" frameborder="0" allose vswfullscreen></iframe>

I did that once, send your knives to Ambrose before attempting...

I use one of these. I just happened to be using it to trim some beef...

cooper barrett 11-23-2017 04:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 13234564)
Never turkey, but I do chicken sous vide all the time. It's excellent!

I am looking to see if a deboned 12lb bird will fit in my unit... I may have to do a breast

stumppy 11-23-2017 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 13234438)
Cant go wrong either way

What sides you throwing in with that ribeye?

I'm stuffed. Made Hash brown casserole, candied sweet potatoes, Steamed brussel sprouts, and.....my damn green beans. Spent 3 hours yesterday making my green beans because they taste better after they sit a day and forgot all about them sitting in the bottom of the fridge. DAMNIT! lol
Just started eating apple pie w/ ice cream and remembered them.ROFL

Fire Me Boy! 11-23-2017 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13234598)
I am looking to see if a deboned 12lb bird will fit in my unit... I may have to do a breast

Is that the full sized SVS, or the Demi? Doubtful if it's a Demi.

Easy 6 11-23-2017 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumppy (Post 13234601)
I'm stuffed. Made Hash brown casserole, candied sweet potatoes, Steamed brussel sprouts, and.....my damn green beans. Spent 3 hours yesterday making my green beans because they taste better after they sit a day and forgot all about them sitting in the bottom of the fridge. DAMNIT! lol
Just started eating apple pie w/ ice cream and remembered them.ROFL

:doh!: not the green beans!

cooper barrett 11-23-2017 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 13234602)
Is that the full sized SVS, or the Demi? Doubtful if it's a Demi.

First of the full sized SVS 11L. it's on loan... maybe indefinatly:D:D:D

Fire Me Boy! 11-23-2017 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13234606)
First of the full sized SVS 11L. it's on loan... maybe indefinatly:D:D:D

Meh. I had a Demi when they first came out, and while I liked it, once I got something more convenient, I rarely ever use the SVS anymore. I much prefer the Anova.

cooper barrett 11-23-2017 04:56 PM

I trying it out in the RV as it's leak proof. I would have bought a component set up but this was free..

Wanna sell the SVS?

Fire Me Boy! 11-23-2017 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13234630)
I trying it out in the RV as it's leak proof. I would have bought a component set up but this was free..

Wanna sell the SVS?

Sure. What are you thinking?

cooper barrett 11-23-2017 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 13234637)
Sure. What are you thinking?

1 brisket and 2 slabs of Durok loin ribs

Fire Me Boy! 11-23-2017 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13234640)
1 brisket and 2 slabs of Durok loin ribs

I meant $$$. :)

cooper barrett 11-23-2017 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 13234641)
I meant $$$. :)

You ever hear about the guy who told the car salesman what he wanted to pay?

Me either...

SAUTO 11-23-2017 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13234644)

Me either...

I have every time ive bought one...

cooper barrett 11-23-2017 05:53 PM

Salesmen must love you...

https://uproxx.files.wordpress.com/2...untz.png?w=650

SAUTO 11-23-2017 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13234694)

Yeah, i have no idea what im doing when it comes to cars...:rolleyes:

GloryDayz 11-23-2017 06:16 PM

I've got good news and bad news.. The good news is the turkey I smoked on the electric Brinkmann bullet was superb. The bad news is the Brinkmann is no more... The bottom was rusting out, and today the element broke.

Fire Me Boy! 11-23-2017 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13234644)

Me either...

They're going on eBay for about $120, shipping included. I'd go $100 shipping included. Would buy me another Anova. :)

One note, I don't have the little mouse pad thing that goes on top to insulate. I use a towel.

ptlyon 11-23-2017 06:19 PM

R2D2, dead

srvy 11-23-2017 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 13234743)
I've got good news and bad news.. The good news is the turkey I smoked on the electric Brinkmann bullet was superb. The bad news is the Brinkmann is no more... The bottom was rusting out, and today the element broke.

Well it gave you one last good bird before it gave up the ghost. Brinkman is out of business unless someone has bought the name and revive them. I got a bullet in storage i bought cheap when Kmart closed them out. I always highly recommended Brinkman electric smokers but they did always burn out the bottom.

GloryDayz 11-23-2017 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 13234764)
Well it gave you one last good bird before it gave up the ghost. Brinkman is out of business unless someone has bought the name and revive them. I got a bullet in storage i bought cheap when Kmart closed them out. I always highly recommended Brinkman electric smokers but they did always burn out the bottom.

I found one on FB Marketplace, looks to be in great shape, so hopefully I'll be back in business soon...

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-23-2017 07:11 PM

Do you all have dishes that remind you of family members. My grandma was an excellent cook and one of my favorite things she used to make was an English cream pie. I had a piece after dinner and had to walk over to a separate room while eating, because the taste reminded me of the pies she used to make, which brought back a lot of nostalgia, and twinge of regret. It's the first time I've ever felt something like that.

----

I like to think of myself as a decent cook, but I lack the creativity, skill, and gadgetry of many of you. My wife and I cooked our first full Thanksgiving spread for our parents and her grandpa today. Everything turned out well.

ptlyon 11-23-2017 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 13234804)
Do you all have dishes that remind you of family members.

99% of ours is made almost the exact same way as grandmas. Turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, dressing. Down to the pickled watermelon rind that I think only my sister and I eat.

Only thing missing was grandma's home made rolls, we can't duplicate those.

Frazod 11-23-2017 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 13234804)
Do you all have dishes that remind you of family members. My grandma was an excellent cook and one of my favorite things she used to make was an English cream pie. I had a piece after dinner and had to walk over to a separate room while eating, because the taste reminded me of the pies she used to make, which brought back a lot of nostalgia, and twinge of regret. It's the first time I've ever felt something like that.

----

I like to think of myself as a decent cook, but I lack the creativity, skill, and gadgetry of many of you. My wife and I cooked our first full Thanksgiving spread for our parents and her grandpa today. Everything turned out well.

We had the main parts of the meal catered this year, as this was the first major holiday since my mother-in-law passed away. It was okay, but I think I can do better, so I volunteered to host next year. There will only be four or five people total, depending on whether my brother-in-law brings a date (or his ex-wife, which happened today), so it shouldn't be a big deal. I'm the only one left who can cook worth a shit. But if that ends up happening, I'll definitely introduce some old time country dishes to the mix.

BryanBusby 11-23-2017 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 13234743)

I hope it gets a proper burial

RIP

ping2000 11-24-2017 05:35 AM

My turkey was better than your turkey. I'm sorry, it just was. [emoji16]

scho63 11-24-2017 08:14 AM

I changed my mind at the last minute and decided to continue to sacrifice for my improved health and stayed home, went to the community gym and laid out at the pool for three hours.

Only miss a good left over turkey sandwich....

Jerm 11-24-2017 08:19 AM

Smoked a turkey for the first time for yesterday, was weary of how it would turn out but it was delicious...thought deep frying was the pinnacle of turkey, that's now changed.

Pablo 11-24-2017 08:34 AM

We had a deep fried turkey and a traditional roast turkey yesterday. Only ate the deep fried turkey and it was great.

I was disappointed that the wife's aunt didn't make her candied yam casserole. I love that shit, but other than that everything was good.

Had apple crisp for dessert as that was our contribution and I'd already had pie at the first Thanksgiving I'd went to that day.

Titty Meat 11-24-2017 07:42 PM

Did anyone eat any pussy last night?

eDave 11-24-2017 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooter Libby (Post 13235689)

Not I. :(

Why Not? 11-24-2017 08:19 PM

Quote:

And chase the taste of homemade apple pie away? Pass.

GloryDayz 11-24-2017 10:34 PM

Quote:

Not me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

GloryDayz 11-24-2017 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Why Not? (Post 13235716)
And chase the taste of homemade apple pie away? Pass.

At least you didn't say Brussels sprouts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Easy 6 11-25-2017 12:23 PM

For the first time I can recall Ma made real pumpkin pie, no canned stuff... wow, its a night and day difference

I've never been too big on pumpkin pie, but yeah the real deal is so much fluffier and lighter tasting

Why Not? 11-25-2017 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 13236161)
For the first time I can recall Ma made real pumpkin pie, no canned stuff... wow, its a night and day difference

I've never been too big on pumpkin pie, but yeah the real deal is so much fluffier and lighter tasting

Real, homemade pumpkin pie made by someone who knows how to cook is a top dessert item.

Unfortunately, my wife makes them to good. I can't stop eating pumpkin and homemade apple pie. I'm gonna weigh 500lbs by the end of the week at this rate