ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football NFL Possibly considering forcing Chargers to Move Back to San Diego? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=310276)

New World Order 03-07-2021 10:13 AM

I want to hate the Chargers, but I’ve never really been given a reason to

Frazod 03-07-2021 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 15575023)
st. louis does not deserve another football team. They have lost 2.

I was never a fan of either franchise, but that's not really fair. Cheap Ass Bidwill's Cardinals were putrid, yet he demanded a new stadium. The city basically told him that his shitty team didn't rate one. Instead of improving his team he left, and the Cardinals continued to be shitty in Phoenix.

As far as the Rams are concerned, that **** Kroenke basically bought the team to relocate it. Before that, they were popular locally and successful.

It's not like they ran off two organizations that loved the city.

Red Dawg 03-07-2021 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 15574759)
Looks like the last shot from Dusk till Dawn

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DMlmDGtWsAAT_PA.jpg

Looks like Kings Landing in the last GOT episode.

sd4chiefs 03-07-2021 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New World Order (Post 15575028)

Cry Baby Rivers, Hot Dog Junior Seau, Cheap Shot Rodney Harrison and Merriman, Bandwagon Charger Fans to name a few.

Shag 03-07-2021 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 15574994)
what are the plans? Homes/condo/shopping/amazon fulfillment center?

I would not want to invest in shopping right now.

The land was sold to SDSU, who is building a 35k seat stadium, a 34 acre park, and various school complexes. At one point in time, the stadium was said to be expandable for an NFL team, but not sure if that was the final plan or not.

Buehler445 03-07-2021 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 15574985)
I know the voters didn’t want a new stadium.

But it feels like a missed opportunity. A new modern, billion dollar stadium in San Diego, with that weather....would seem highly attractive for all kinds of events.

The Cali guys would know better than me but IIRC Spanos was a **** on a lot of levels and it’s hard for taxpayers to sign onto that shit when they’re not going to get anything back, the owner is a **** and was going to keep the money anyway.

sd4chiefs 03-07-2021 11:34 AM

Los Angeles could get away with charging for seats just to have the right to buy season tickets. It cost $7,500 per seat (one time fee) with season tickets at $150 per game. Club Seats range from $15,000 to $80,000 per seat and accompanying season tickets are $375 per game. There was no way that Charger Fans in San Diego were going to shell out that kind of money. Crazy.

backinblack 03-07-2021 11:46 AM

Oh damn, I didn’t know they were going to tear down Jack Murphy, thought it was still being used by a college team or something.

Chief Pagan 03-07-2021 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 13824783)
San Diego
Oakland
Salt Lake City
Sacramento
Portland
St Louis

San Antonio wouldn’t be in contention?

Discuss Thrower 03-07-2021 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Pagan (Post 15575124)
San Antonio wouldn’t be in contention?

Over Jerry Jones dead body and even then..

Bowser 03-07-2021 01:30 PM

Salt Lake would be interesting. The Mormons seem to love BYU, why not a pro team?

eDave 03-07-2021 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 15575149)
Salt Lake would be interesting. The Mormons seem to love BYU, why not a pro team?

They are lucky to still have the Jazz. It's an alcohol thing, and gambling. It's also a very small, isolated market.

Bowser 03-07-2021 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 15575153)
They are lucky to still have the Jazz. It's an alcohol thing. It's also a very small, isolated market.

True. Maybe I'm just looking at "new" places for an NFL team that seem like decent destination locations.

Easy 6 03-07-2021 01:39 PM

For selfish reasons, I sure wish St Louis could pull them in... it'd be SO easy for me to see the Chiefs twice a year

FloridaMan88 03-07-2021 01:40 PM

Quote:

I don't hate them as much as the Raiders and Denver, but playing them twice a year breeds natural contempt.

And when they have players such as Phyllis associated with their franchise for 15+ years it enhances the hate factor.

Chief Pagan 03-07-2021 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 15575133)
Over Jerry Jones dead body and even then..

He’s not getting any younger and I don’t think he has the clout that he used to when $$$ is at stake for the league and the other owners.

But maybe you’re right.

GloucesterChief 03-07-2021 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 15575155)
True. Maybe I'm just looking at "new" places for an NFL team that seem like decent destination locations.

Portland is out, only about 2 and a half hours from Seattle.
San Antonio same reason. Too close to Houston & Dallas.

Oakland.
St Louis.
San Diego.
Orlando.
Hampton Roads, VA.

DaneMcCloud 03-07-2021 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 15575168)
Portland is out, only about 2 and a half hours from Seattle.
San Antonio same reason. Too close to Houston & Dallas.

Oakland.
St Louis.
San Diego.
Orlando.
Hampton Roads, VA.

There's no way Oakland or San Diego get an NFL team again because their cities and voters do not want to shell out $2 billion for a stadium.

I'd be very surprised to see an NFL team in St. Louis again and really the only way to even get interest is to build a palace for an NFL team in advance, something that seems very unlikely.

I don't know much about the city of Orlando but with Jacksonville's continuing and never-ending struggles, I doubt Orlando would be a viable option for any team.

Sassy Squatch 03-07-2021 02:09 PM

Oklahoma City perhaps.

Pasta Little Brioni 03-07-2021 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 15574759)
Looks like the last shot from Dusk till Dawn

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DMlmDGtWsAAT_PA.jpg

Great movie

Pasta Little Brioni 03-07-2021 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sd4chiefs (Post 15575075)
Los Angeles could get away with charging for seats just to have the right to buy season tickets. It cost $7,500 per seat (one time fee) with season tickets at $150 per game. Club Seats range from $15,000 to $80,000 per seat and accompanying season tickets are $375 per game. There was no way that Charger Fans in San Diego were going to shell out that kind of money. Crazy.

Paying for seats should be criminal. Kroenke ****ed over plenty of fans in his process of moving too.

Deberg_1990 03-07-2021 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15575175)
There's no way Oakland or San Diego get an NFL team again because their cities and voters do not want to shell out $2 billion for a stadium.

I'd be very surprised to see an NFL team in St. Louis again and really the only way to even get interest is to build a palace for an NFL team in advance, something that seems very unlikely.

I don't know much about the city of Orlando but with Jacksonville's continuing and never-ending struggles, I doubt Orlando would be a viable option for any team.

NFL is running out of viable US cities that can support a team. One of the reasons they are looking at cities outside the US I imagine.

eDave 03-07-2021 02:23 PM

ABQ never makes the list.

Dull Tools 03-07-2021 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15575175)

I think London will be next.

eDave 03-07-2021 02:31 PM

One day we will be watching the Mars City Rovers play KC in the Superbowl.

Chief Roundup 03-07-2021 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dull Tools (Post 15575208)
I think London will be next.

That would be STUPID.

Mexico City or Montreal/Toronto should be before London. Travel required for a team in Europe is very problematic.

eDave 03-07-2021 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 15575239)
That would be STUPID.

Mexico City or Montreal/Toronto should be before London. Travel required for a team in Europe is very problematic.

With an extra game to boot.

Dull Tools 03-07-2021 02:59 PM

Quote:

That would be STUPID.

Money talks. The new Spurs stadium there is already fully fitted for an NFL team.. Think a deal might alright be done with the NFL behind the scenes.

DaneMcCloud 03-07-2021 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dull Tools (Post 15575254)
Money talks. The new Spurs stadium there is already fully fitted for an NFL team.. Think a deal might alright be done with the NFL behind the scenes.

As long as Jerry Jones is alive, it will not happen, period.

Jerry has made the other 31 owners far too wealthy through his TV contact negotiations for them to turn their back on him.

And why does Texas need a third shitty NFL team?

Two shitty teams isn’t enough?

Bowser 03-07-2021 03:13 PM

Lake Havasu needs a team. Go for the tailgate parties and nothing else.

Bowser 03-07-2021 03:15 PM

Honestly, I could see Canada or Mexico City getting a team before an American city would at this point. The NFL has not even tried to hide their want of foreign dollars pouring into the league, so I feel the effort would be for a move like that by the league.

Frazod 03-07-2021 03:24 PM

Quote:

That would be STUPID.

Shits given by NFL owners and Roger ****ing Goodell = zero. They'd put a team in Antarctica if they thought they could make money doing it.

Imagine a west coast team playing a game in London. If there was an actual team there and they weren't just playing random games that the schedule could work around, it would be business as usual, with an 11 hour flight each way.

KChiefs1 03-07-2021 03:33 PM

Quote:

Moving them to St Louis would provide some hate.

Deberg_1990 03-07-2021 03:40 PM

The Dubai Chiefs in 2032

Spott 03-07-2021 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 15575308)
Moving them to St Louis would provide some hate.

That would actually be pretty cool because we’d get an extra home game every year that the fans could drive to.

Chief Roundup 03-07-2021 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 15575295)
Shits given by NFL owners and Roger ****ing Goodell = zero. They'd put a team in Antarctica if they thought they could make money doing it.

Imagine a west coast team playing a game in London. If there was an actual team there and they weren't just playing random games that the schedule could work around, it would be business as usual, with an 11 hour flight each way.

If we got to an 18 game season with two bye weeks and they surround those games around those bye weeks it would lessen the "issues" but there are still the first 4 weeks of the season and the last 4 weeks of the season when there are not any bye weeks for teams.

ChiefsCountry 03-07-2021 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dull Tools (Post 15575254)
The new Spurs stadium there is already fully fitted for an NFL team.. Think a deal might alright be done with the NFL behind the scenes.

Is it 1993? San Antonio's stadium isn't new.

Chief Pagan 03-07-2021 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15575268)
As long as Jerry Jones is alive, it will not happen, period.

Jerry has made the other 31 owners far too wealthy through his TV contact negotiations for them to turn their back on him.

And why does Texas need a third shitty NFL team?

Two shitty teams isn’t enough?

Its not a question of need. San Antonio is, I believe, the biggest or at least one of the biggest markets that doesn't have it's own NFL team and Texas is pretty football mad.

I'm not saying it'll happen but I wouldn't rule it out.

The Chargers would sell a hell of a lot more tickets in SA than in LA.

Rain Man 03-07-2021 09:17 PM

Out of curiosity, I looked it up in the census. Here are the ten largest American metro areas without an NFL team.

Riverside, CA
San Diego, CA
St. Louis, MO
Orlando, FL
San Antonio, TX
Portland, OR
Sacramento, CA
Austin, TX
Columbus, OH
San Jose, CA
Virginia Beach, VA
Providence, RI

Who are the best candidates to get an NFL team?

eDave 03-07-2021 09:19 PM

That's a tough call. I say San Diego.

DaneMcCloud 03-07-2021 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Pagan (Post 15575551)
I'm not saying it'll happen but I wouldn't rule it out.

Jerry Jones already conceded Houston to the Texans and has already claimed San Antonio as his territory, so it's not going to happen while he's alive, if ever.

The owners owe JJ more than they could ever repay him because he's the guy that negotiated their huge TV contracts which took the owners from being mere millionaires to becoming billionaires.

The NFL is the tightest 32 man "club" in the world and they do not forget their own, unless an owner damages or potentially damages their revenue stream.

Jerry Jones has done neither.

ChiefsCountry 03-07-2021 09:27 PM

Here are the 10 largest US television markets without a NFL team in the US.
Orlando
Sacramento
Portland
St. Louis
Raleigh-Durham
San Diego
Salt Lake City
San Antonio
Hartford
Columbus

displacedinMN 03-07-2021 09:39 PM

If the chargers cant find a fan base--they will be looking to relocate

Oakland or SD makes the most sense. Unless they go international.
Mexico city/Canada/London/

eDave 03-07-2021 09:40 PM

Why isn't Oakland on either list? Doesn't compute for me.

Bowser 03-07-2021 09:40 PM

Is San Diego vehemently anti-NFL, or did the Spanos' just kill their own personal golden goose there and make the city anti-Spanos?

DaneMcCloud 03-07-2021 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 15575581)
Is San Diego vehemently anti-NFL, or did the Spanos' just kill their own personal golden goose there and make the city anti-Spanos?

The city voted to build a $1 billion dollar stadium on the same grounds as The Murph but the Spanos family refused because they wanted the stadium downtown.

There was a measure that went out a few years back about taxing hotels and rental cars but it was voted down because San Diego is a HUGE tourist destination and the city didn't want the taxes to interfere with their revenues.

The Spanos family, like Mark Davis, has no wealth outside of their NFL franchise so it would either take a partner, which the Spanos family refused or a city to build their stadium. AEG offered to build a stadium next to Staples Center and even had $20 million dollar per year naming rights set with Farmer's Insurance but Anschutz wanted a 51% share, to which the family said "No". He then offered a 49% share but the family said "No".

The Spanos family is their own worst enemy.

Bowser 03-07-2021 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15575588)
The city voted to build a $1 billion dollar stadium on the same grounds as The Murph but the Spanos family refused because they wanted the stadium downtown.

There was a measure that went out a few years back about taxing hotels and rental cars but it was voted down because San Diego is a HUGE tourist destination and the city didn't want the taxes to interfere with their revenues.

The Spanos family, like Mark Davis, has no wealth outside of their NFL franchise so it would either take a partner, which the Spanos family refused or a city to build their stadium. AEG offered to build a stadium next to Staples Center and even had $20 million dollar per year naming rights set with Farmer's Insurance but Anschutz wanted a 51% share, to which the family said "No". He then offered a 49% share but the family said "No".

The Spanos family is their own worst enemy.

Oh FFS. Now that you say that, I remember hearing the part of wanting the stadium to be downtown, and I think the city did all they could to negotiate to no avail. Fk'n idiots.

I'm going to go ahead and assume the Spanos family gets their taxes done at H&R Block.

Bowser 03-07-2021 10:05 PM

Man, how do you **** up calling San Diego your home. I've never even been there, just heard the stories of many friends and others that have, but I think I might concede a few bucks on the front end to stay in near paradise for decades on end. MAYBE THERE'S SOMETHING WRONG WITH MY LOGIC WHO KNOWS

GloucesterChief 03-07-2021 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 15575564)
Out of curiosity, I looked it up in the census. Here are the ten largest American metro areas without an NFL team.

Riverside, CA LA Teams
San Diego, CA
St. Louis, MO
Orlando, FL
San Antonio, TX Dalllas
Portland, OR Seattle
Sacramento, CA
Austin, TX Dallas
Columbus, OH Cleveland and Cinci
San Jose, CA SF
Virginia Beach, VA
Providence, RI NE
Who are the best candidates to get an NFL team?

Some can be eliminated due to proximity to existing teams.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan 03-07-2021 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 15575595)

I think you could eliminate Orlando too, since it's halfway between Jacksonville and Tampa if you're going to eliminate Portland, San Antonio, or Columbus.

All Orlando would do is cannibalize the other Florida fan bases.

Frazod 03-07-2021 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 15575595)

You can scratch Sacramento due to its proximity to San Francisco as well. And Orlando is right in the middle of a state that already has three teams.

The Norfolk/Virginia Beach area would, I guess, be as good a spot as any. The only problem is so much of the population is military that a large portion of the potential fan base isn't from there, is by the nature of military service transient, and would already have loyalty to other teams in the areas they're originally from. I ended up living in the Chicago area after being stationed at Great Lakes over 30 years ago, and I really don't give two shits about any local team except the Cubs, whom I hate.

I wonder if San Diego and St. Louis would support a new franchise after getting burned so badly?

Rain Man 03-07-2021 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 15575580)
Why isn't Oakland on either list? Doesn't compute for me.

I'm guessing that it's officially part of the San Francisco metro area.

backinblack 03-08-2021 07:50 AM

Always thought Virginia Beach would be an interesting choice. Or maybe put it near Williamsburg and try to capture both the Hampton Roads and Richmond metro areas. Would be an issue with the Redskins and to a lesser extent the Panthers though.

DaneMcCloud 03-08-2021 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 15575593)
Man, how do you **** up calling San Diego your home. I've never even been there, just heard the stories of many friends and others that have, but I think I might concede a few bucks on the front end to stay in near paradise for decades on end. MAYBE THERE'S SOMETHING WRONG WITH MY LOGIC WHO KNOWS

San Diego is an amazing city and county. Clean, well kept and a bit less expensive than Orange County and definitely less expensive than Los Angeles or Marin County.

If you're into sun, the beach, beach bars, chillin', California Cuisine, Baja-style food and the best Cali vibe without being surrounded by 19 million other people, San Diego is the place for you.

If it wasn't for my need to be in the Hollywood area, I'd pack up and move down there next week.

Oh yeah, and very little humidity.

DaneMcCloud 03-08-2021 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 15575618)
You can scratch Sacramento due to its proximity to San Francisco as well.

Sacramento can barely support the Kings and there's just not enough money for there to support an NFL franchise.

The Spanos family is actually from Stockton, which is only about 40 minutes away from Sac but there's no one wealthy enough to build them a stadium.

Plus, the people up there are hardcore fans of both the Raiders and 49ers, just as they're hardcore fans of the Giants and A's. I don't think the Chargers would draw well there, either.

The Chargers are just ****ed. :D

KChiefs1 03-08-2021 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 13824783)
San Diego
Oakland
Salt Lake City
Sacramento
Portland
St Louis

Pretty spot on. :thumb:

FloridaMan88 03-08-2021 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 15575574)
Here are the 10 largest US television markets without a NFL team in the US.
Orlando
Sacramento
Portland
St. Louis
Raleigh-Durham
San Diego
Salt Lake City
San Antonio
Hartford
Columbus

Most of those areas already have allegiances to nearby existing NFL teams (i.e. Bucs fans in Orlando, Cowboys fans in San Antonio, etc.) which would make it difficult for a new franchise to establish a local fanbase.

KC_Lee 03-08-2021 03:19 PM

So the London Chargers or the Mexico City Chargers is what this boils down too.

Deberg_1990 03-08-2021 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Lee (Post 15576118)

Vancouver Chargers?

FloridaMan88 03-08-2021 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Lee (Post 15576118)

Hawaii Chargers.

Couch-Potato 03-08-2021 03:48 PM

Move them to N San Diego / S Orange County and call them the "SO-Cal Charger." Plenty of dads with money down in those burbs that wanna take their kids to a game on Sunday. OC and SD both have equal hate for LA as well, and no one in LA gives a damn about the Chargers. Hell, the Rams are an afterthought here in LA.

Chief Pagan 03-08-2021 06:12 PM

Put a second team in Vegas. Its all going to be visitors anyway, right?

:shrug:

Would probably work better than two teams in LA.

RickObie 03-08-2021 06:41 PM

NFL helps them build a stadium in St. Louis with the promise of the city dropping the lawsuit against the Rams - St. Louis Chargers....

SuperBowl4 03-09-2021 06:31 AM

I was a cHargers season ticket holder first in 1984. And was a cHargers season ticket holder for probably 15 to 25 seasons. I have always been a CHIEFS fan first but living in Southern California and being a fan of the NFL we loved going down to Jack Murphy Stadium on Sundays. I had no idea until yesterday that the stadium I went to for decades was been demolished. I went to over 250+ games there and was a cHargers season ticket holder the year they went to the Super Bowl. I had a lot of great times there. Kind of sad to see it like this - http://youtu.be/qi5kHUe7no4 the rise and fall of the San Diego cHargers stadium ->http://youtu.be/LXeKjrE5BnI

Rams Fan 03-09-2021 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickObie (Post 15576334)
NFL helps them build a stadium in St. Louis with the promise of the city dropping the lawsuit against the Rams - St. Louis Chargers....

St. Louis has 0 interest in the NFL if there's any tax payer $ involved.

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 15575023)
st. louis does not deserve another football team. They have lost 2.

The Cardinals left because Bidwill didn't want to spend money to build a stadium as he felt the Cardinals were second tenant to the baseball Cardinals in Busch(which they were).

Then the city built the Dome as a result using all tax payer money to lure the NFL and gave the Rams one of the dumbest leases ever(they gave them an opportunity to get out of the lease before the bonds were paid off)... AND then would've paid more than 50% of the construction cost for the proposed stadium, which is something that no city had done twice within a 20 or 25 year period for the NFL.

Kroenke's intention was to move the team after he became the controlling owner after Frontiere's kids sold the team. Fan support wasn't the reason why they left.

Also, by your logic, LA shouldn't have a NFL team, much less 2, because they've lost 2 NFL teams as well.

Deberg_1990 03-09-2021 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperBowl4 (Post 15576681)
I was a cHargers season ticket holder first in 1984. And was a cHargers season ticket holder for probably 15 to 25 seasons. I have always been a CHIEFS fan first but living in Southern California and being a fan of the NFL we loved going down to Jack Murphy Stadium on Sundays. I had no idea until yesterday that the stadium I went to for decades was been demolished. I went to over 250+ games there and was a cHargers season ticket holder the year they went to the Super Bowl. I had a lot of great times there. Kind of sad to see it like this - http://youtu.be/qi5kHUe7no4 the rise and fall of the San Diego cHargers stadium ->http://youtu.be/LXeKjrE5BnI

Stan Humpries, Marion Butts and Natrone Means would torch those Marty defenses in the early 90s. Humpries was a good deep ball thrower. Bobby Ross was an underrated coach.

Why Not? 03-09-2021 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 15576157)
Hawaii Chargers.

**** that. I would be forced to kind of like the Chargers if this were the case.

Obviously, would never happen, but still....

displacedinMN 03-09-2021 09:07 PM

No US city could do an NFL team. without spoiling loyalties to another.

Canada? No. They have their own football.

So that leaves London, Mexico City or Cairo.

Deberg_1990 03-09-2021 09:15 PM

Anchorage Chargers?

New World Order 03-09-2021 11:08 PM

Oakland Chargers

Deberg_1990 03-10-2021 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New World Order (Post 15577824)
Oakland Chargers

Heh, that would be crazy.

morphius 03-10-2021 08:23 AM

I always kind of figured they would be the team to go to Mexico City, if we ever go that route. Though I'd be hard pressed to tell a bunch of Americans to move their families there at this time.

cosmo20002 03-10-2021 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 15577589)
Stan Humpries, Marion Butts and Natrone Means would torch those Marty defenses in the early 90s. Humpries was a good deep ball thrower. Bobby Ross was an underrated coach.

false

DaneMcCloud 03-10-2021 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 15577932)
Heh, that would be crazy.

And it will never happen, either.

Oakland can barely support the A’s, who have wanted to move to San Jose for more than a decade but the Giants claim that territory as theirs.

I’ve been to many stadiums in North America and the Oakland Coliseum is by far the shittiest (no pun intended) stadium by a wide margin.

The Murph was a palace in comparison.

Mennonite 03-10-2021 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 15577754)
No US city could do an NFL team. without spoiling loyalties to another.

Canada? No. They have their own football.

So that leaves London, Mexico City or Cairo.

The Atlantis Chargers. It's time to dump this garbage franchise into the ****ing ocean.

Frazod 03-10-2021 12:12 PM

Here's what I'd do if it was up to me.

1. Force that asshat Spanos to sell the Chargers, and send them back to San Diego under new, community-based ownership. Build them a new stadium at league expense to soothe fanbase butthurt. They could play at a college stadium until the new facility is completed.

2. Relocate the Raiders to L.A., where they actually have a ready fanbase.

3. Use the Vegas Stadium to host one game per week, preferably a marquis matchup. Since they are now going to a 17 game season, this could be done without stealing an extra home game from anybody. Perhaps they could even make it the permanent home of the Super Bowl.

4. No more games in London or Mexico City. **** that shit.

Of course, none of these things will actually happen.

DaneMcCloud 03-10-2021 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 15578175)
Of course, none of these things will actually happen.

Agreed.

Los Angeles does not want the Raiders, specifically, their fan base, and fought hard to exclude them from the AEG/Staples Center deal and the Carson proposal.

The only community based team in the NFL is the Packers and the NFL has a bylaw against that now, so they'll always be unique.

I just don't know of a municipality that would support the Chargers. Maybe St. Louis, but it would take a new ownership group, a new team name and a wealthy owner willing to make not only a $2 billion dollar investment in the team but at least another billion for a stadium.

That's a big ask for a smaller market.

Plus, there's the pesky Spanos family, which absolutely refuses to sell and has no money to build their own stadium. They're also locked into a 30 year lease at Kroenke World, although I'd think the NFL would help them dig out of that if there was a community willing to embrace the Chargers.

I just get the feeling that no one wants them.

Bowser 03-10-2021 12:56 PM

I bet someone would want them pretty quickly if you scraped the Spanos barnacles off of the team. The Spanos' are basically Marge Schott-ing the team without all the racial blasts - just totally screwing up a sure thing. It's fascinating to watch, really.

I actually like Fraz's idea of turning the Vegas stadium into a game of the week matchup site. Rotate it evenly between all the various networks and profit. Vegas during the NFL season would become even more of a destination every weekend than it is now. It's kind of a shame they won't consider it.

Deberg_1990 03-10-2021 01:06 PM

Why are we wanting to move the Raiders out of Vegas already?

The people haven’t been given a chance yet to show if they will support them.

The only place that the Chargers name holds any value is San Diego. Shame on the NFL and the Spanos that they can’t make it work there somehow.

TinyEvel 03-10-2021 01:08 PM

When I lived in LA we'd take the Amtrak from Union Station down to see the Chiefs game there. Drink the whole way on the train, was basically our tailgate get to the stadium around noon for the 1pm kickoff. Good memories. I mean ,what I can remember of it. The train ride back at night after drinking since 7am was a bit of a blur.

one year we all pitched in for a stretch limo to take us there, it was about the same price as 8 train tickets. we tailgated out of a limo with an ice chest and a tiny weber Smokey Joe tabletop grill on the ground. After the game we were offering Krispy Kreme donuts out of the sunroof (not a euphemism) and met a couple girls two cars back. I got into their car with the donut box and a six pack and was hanging out eating donuts and beer with them on the way out of the lot. We followed them to Seau's bar. Some Chargers Cheerleaders were meeting them there.

Like five years later I was art work and a new girl comes up to me in the kitchen area and says "you look familiar" it took us a couple seconds to figure out she was one of the girls in the car I brought the donuts to.

lols