ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   KU ***** Official '24/'25 KU Men's Basketball Repository Thread ***** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=352836)

Bearcat 04-18-2024 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 17486021)
If he wants to come score another 18 points a game, I don’t care what he does after this year.

I saw a few comments from Wisconsin fans along the lines of "live by the Storr and die by the Storr," because he's pretty much all about himself... and maybe that's just being on Wisconsin, but they were mentioning his <1 assist per game and how he'll lose games for you before passing the ball.

It'll be interesting to see what Self does for him in that regard.

And I'm under no delusion that money wasn't a primary factor for players before NIL, but the old fart in me doesn't love the idea of all the roster turnover and guys in new systems every year and so forth. And it's similar to some of the one and dones of the past... they don't give a shit if they win a NC for KU or not and you throw out all of the experience of playing in a system with the same coach and players around you for one shot at something (obviously if they do, then yay... just seems like a losing battle in that regard).

smithandrew051 04-18-2024 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 17486081)
I saw a few comments from Wisconsin fans along the lines of "live by the Storr and die by the Storr," because he's pretty much all about himself... and maybe that's just being on Wisconsin, but they were mentioning his <1 assist per game and how he'll lose games for you before passing the ball.

It'll be interesting to see what Self does for him in that regard.

And I'm under no delusion that money wasn't a primary factor for players before NIL, but the old fart in me doesn't love the idea of all the roster turnover and guys in new systems every year and so forth. And it's similar to some of the one and dones of the past... they don't give a shit if they win a NC for KU or not and you throw out all of the experience of playing in a system with the same coach and players around you for one shot at something (obviously if they do, then yay... just seems like a losing battle in that regard).

Some of my favorite KU players were guys who waited their turn and developed in the program to become stars: T Rob, Frank Mason, Devonte Graham, Ochai Agbaji come to mind.

Sadly, I don’t see any of those guys (except maybe Agbaji because he’s a Kansas kid) sticking around in today’s game.

They’d all be recruited over through the portal and probably leave after a year of not getting enough playing time.

Bearcat 04-18-2024 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 17486099)
Some of my favorite KU players were guys who waited their turn and developed in the program to become stars: T Rob, Frank Mason, Devonte Graham, Ochai Agbaji come to mind.

Sadly, I don’t see any of those guys (except maybe Agbaji because he’s a Kansas kid) sticking around in today’s game.

They’d all be recruited over through the portal and probably leave after a year of not getting enough playing time.

Yeah, and I guess we'll see how it works out in the long run... the benefit is you're getting more guys who aren't fresh out of high school (and then bolt) and already have some college experience.

But yeah, you think way back to where that 2008 team started, or the guys you mentioned... it's special to watch over the course of a few years while maybe plugging in a one-and-done guy; not (so far) the other way around.

BWillie 04-18-2024 07:42 PM

Storr is a frustrating player. He takes alot of bad shots but he's a talented one. We desperately need a player like him to be able to score without being assisted. He also does a good job at drawing fouls. He should see much less usage at Kansas and Self will have him ready to be his best self.

Ceej 04-19-2024 04:43 AM

The difference between UW Storr and KU Storr is that he's not going to be expected to be the leading scorer. He's not going to have to do all of the work.

Also sounds like the #1 PG in the 2025 class will be on campus this weekend too.

smithandrew051 04-19-2024 06:23 AM

Rumor is things still look good with Griffen.

I’d also hope we’re all over Kobe Brea if someone else leaves. He shot 50% (on 6 attempts per game!!!) from 3 last year. He also wasn’t a starter at Dayton, so I’d think he’d be fine just being a part of the rotation.

He fell just short of a 50/50/90 shooting split last year. Insane.

RockChalk 04-19-2024 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 17486301)
Rumor is things still look good with Griffen.

I’d also hope we’re all over Kobe Brea if someone else leaves. He shot 50% (on 6 attempts per game!!!) from 3 last year. He also wasn’t a starter at Dayton, so I’d think he’d be fine just being a part of the rotation.

He fell just short of a 50/50/90 shooting split last year. Insane.

If we are having to pick between the two, I think I'd rather have Brea to be honest.

Lzen 04-19-2024 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 17486099)

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the way things are now. Bill Self has always done best with a team that has a lot of upperclassmen that have been in the system multiple years. Sure, he can have a transfer and some younger players but it's the upperclassmen that really make it work.

smithandrew051 04-19-2024 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockChalk (Post 17486398)
If we are having to pick between the two, I think I'd rather have Brea to be honest.

I’d guess/hope it isn’t a Brea or Griffen decision, but rather a Brea or Kugel/one of the freshmen decision.

I like Brea because I don’t think he’s going to check out if he isn’t a starter. He seems likely to accept a 6th man role.

RockChalk 04-19-2024 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 17486423)
I’d guess/hope it isn’t a Brea or Griffen decision, but rather a Brea or Kugel/one of the freshmen decision.

I like Brea because I don’t think he’s going to check out if he isn’t a starter. He seems likely to accept a 6th man role.

For sure. If we get Brea and Griffen, Kugel is looking elsewhere.

smithandrew051 04-19-2024 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockChalk (Post 17486429)

Adding Mayo, Storr, Griffen, and Brea would be insane.

You could run Mayo at the point for stretches with those 3 on the wings and Dickinson at the 5.

Those spacing issues would be a thing of the past.

BWillie 04-19-2024 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockChalk (Post 17486429)

Good

Imon Yourside 04-20-2024 12:16 PM

My Badger buddy is mad we Got Storr

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wCnTotOXPUg" title="COMMIT: AJ Storr transfers to Kansas!" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BWillie 04-20-2024 05:49 PM

Imagine this line up....I mean somebody would want to transfer..I mean portal, right?

STARTING LINE UP
PG: DaJuan Harris, 6'2''
SG: Rylan Griffen, 6'6''
SF: AJ Storr, 6'7''
PF: KJ Adams, 6'7''
C: Hunter Dickinson 7'2''
-------------------
SG: Zeke Mayo, 6'4''
PG: Philon Labaron, 6'3''
C: Flory Bidunga, 6'9''
SF: Riley Kugel, 6'5''
PF: Zach Clemence, 6'11''
SG: Elmarko Jackson, 6'3''
SG: Jamari McDowell, 6'4''
SG: Rakease Passmore, 6'4''

Fansy the Famous Bard 04-20-2024 08:32 PM

Not enough schollies for that. Aren't they still stuck with only 10 for another year?

smithandrew051 04-20-2024 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fansy the Famous Bard (Post 17488212)
Not enough schollies for that. Aren't they still stuck with only 10 for another year?

I think we can have 13 and 12 over the next two years, but we get to decide which year has 12.

It’s something weird like that.

BWillie 04-20-2024 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 17488244)
I think we can have 13 and 12 over the next two years, but we get to decide which year has 12.

It’s something weird like that.

Just pay the 13th guys schollie with NIL

lawrenceRaider 04-21-2024 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fansy the Famous Bard (Post 17488212)

Nah, we had to lose 3 scholarships over a 3 year period. We dropped 2 last year, so have to drop 1 over the next 2 years.

BigRedChief 04-21-2024 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 17488307)
Nah, we had to lose 3 scholarships over a 3 year period. We dropped 2 last year, so have to drop 1 over the next 2 years.

Thats confirmed info? Just got 1 more to give up?

RedinTexas 04-21-2024 07:03 AM

It seems like a scholarship is much reduced in value/incentive when it comes to recruiting. The really good players can make so much in NIL that paying their own tuition would be no big deal. Scholarship limits become less and less of a barrier if you're a big money program.

TambaBerry 04-21-2024 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 17488322)
Thats confirmed info? Just got 1 more to give up?

Yep it was a punishment we put on ourselves. 3 scholarships gone over 3 years. I really wish we could count arterio Morris as one but unfortunately we can't.

Ceej 04-21-2024 12:23 PM

HCBS really wants the NHL line change squad next year.

And I'm here for it.

Buehler445 04-21-2024 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceej (Post 17488527)
HCBS really wants the NHL line change squad next year.

And I'm here for it.

There have been several teams through the years I thought he narrowed the rotation too much. Especially if a group was struggling it would have been. Ice to pull some dudes and catch a spark. Not to mention push pace.

smithandrew051 04-21-2024 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 17488535)
There have been several teams through the years I thought he narrowed the rotation too much. Especially if a group was struggling it would have been. Ice to pull some dudes and catch a spark. Not to mention push pace.

2010 is in my mind. That team had 5 NBA bigs and could’ve gone like 7 deep on the perimeter.

Instead, we let Sherron and Tyshawn completely shoot us out of the Northern Iowa game.

BWillie 04-21-2024 03:28 PM

I actually like Clemence as the 4th big assuming he stops shooting 3s

Fansy the Famous Bard 04-22-2024 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 17488307)

whew, I was thinking we were down 3 for another year. Thanks for unpuckering my ***.

KC_Connection 04-23-2024 10:58 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Rylan Griffen just asked Sam Walters what his goal at Michigan was next season on IG live<br><br>Sam Walters’ response:<br><br>“Just to beat Kansas and hold Rylan Griffen to 0 points”<br><br>Rylan Griffen to <a href="https://twitter.com/KUHoops?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@KUHoops</a>? <a href="https://twitter.com/NextRoundLive?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@NextRoundLive</a></p>&mdash; Taylor Korn (@TaylorKornTNR) <a href="https://twitter.com/TaylorKornTNR/status/1782591283581563150?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 23, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ceej 04-23-2024 07:44 PM

Philon decommitted tonight.

Kinda bummed, but this is the landscape of college basketball now.

BWillie 04-23-2024 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceej (Post 17491251)

I really liked Philons potentially but honestly what is the point of getting freshman anymore? Unless they are a super blue chip recruit they probably won't be very good in year one. Instead you can go get Dalton Knecht, Grant Nelson, Jamal Shead, Tristan Newton and more established guys that will have much more certainty. I know we struck out last year mainly on transfers with Timberlake and the rapist but most other big time schools didn't. We just kinda were unlucky with those two.

KC_Connection 04-23-2024 08:20 PM

He would have never played, so can't say I'm surprised.

Hope we seal the deal on Griffen.

smithandrew051 04-23-2024 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 17491319)

Give me Griffin, Brea, and a depth big. Kugel can go if that happens to free up the extra scholly.

Then just need Dickinson to make it official.

LagunaSWana 04-23-2024 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 17491319)

Mike Vernon seems to think KU has landed Griffen and it will be announced in the next couple of days. My brother is friends with a KU "insider" that agrees with Vernon. Take it FWIW.

smithandrew051 04-23-2024 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LagunaSWana (Post 17491417)
Mike Vernon seems to think KU has landed Griffen and it will be announced in the next couple of days. My brother is friends with a KU "insider" that agrees with Vernon. Take it FWIW.

Hope you’re right!

RaidersOftheCellar 04-23-2024 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LagunaSWana (Post 17491417)

Griffen’s in the bag. As of today anyway. Guess he could pull an Mgbako and flip at the last second. Pretty sure Mark Cuban got involved in that.

smithandrew051 04-23-2024 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaidersOftheCellar (Post 17491434)
Griffen’s in the bag. As of today anyway. Guess he could pull an Mgbako and flip at the last second. Pretty sure Mark Cuban got involved in that.

The delay in a formal announcement makes me nervous.

Not a fan of that.

Fansy the Famous Bard 04-24-2024 05:59 AM

Working out securing NIL funds, I'm guessing.

SithCeNtZ 04-24-2024 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 17491290)
I really liked Philons potentially but honestly what is the point of getting freshman anymore? Unless they are a super blue chip recruit they probably won't be very good in year one. Instead you can go get Dalton Knecht, Grant Nelson, Jamal Shead, Tristan Newton and more established guys that will have much more certainty. I know we struck out last year mainly on transfers with Timberlake and the rapist but most other big time schools didn't. We just kinda were unlucky with those two.

You need freshman, but for a team like Kansas you really have to be on one extreme or the other. Either the guy is an all American with a clear path to playing time, or you need to be getting guys in the 75-100 range like McDowell who are just happy to be here and understand they won't get major minutes for a year or two. Those guys are really important for depth. I was really hoping Clemence would stay, not because I think he's going to be amazing long term, but because having a fourth big who knows the system and can have some decent emergency minutes or a spot start due to injury is useful. You won't get those guys in the portal, as we saw last year. Guys that are ranked in the 30s like Philon just dont have a role anymore on this team in the portal era except in very specific circumstances .They are good enough to play somewhere right away but probably not for a top 5-10 team, and so they leave. It is what it is.

ROYC75 04-24-2024 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceej (Post 17491251)

He seen the writing waiting on the wall bench!

smithandrew051 04-26-2024 07:06 AM

Griffen.

smithandrew051 04-26-2024 07:13 AM

Our shooting is going to be insane.

Storr, Griffen, Mayo can all light it up.

Dickinson and Harris can shoot well enough to be respected.

Go get Brea and let Kugel walk if he wants.

RaidersOftheCellar 04-26-2024 07:16 AM

Toldja he was in the bag. Never a doubt.

RaidersOftheCellar 04-26-2024 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 17497196)
Our shooting is going to be insane.

Storr, Griffen, Mayo can all light it up.

Dickinson and Harris can shoot well enough to be respected.

Go get Brea and let Kugel walk if he wants.

Kugel apparently has a credits problem that might keep him from making it to campus. I think he wants to be there. Apparently he lived in Overland Park at one point and is a KU fan.

Mr. Plow 04-26-2024 07:22 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Alabama transfer Rylan Griffen has committed to KU! He is a 6’6” guard who averaged 11.2 PPG and shot 39.2% from three point range this past season for the Crimson Tide. Huge pickup for the Hawks! <a href="https://t.co/OvIlCLSce9">pic.twitter.com/OvIlCLSce9</a></p>&mdash; Kansas Jayhawk Fans (@FansOfKU) <a href="https://twitter.com/FansOfKU/status/1783843688281772542?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 26, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

BWillie 04-26-2024 08:42 AM

Natty or bust next year

Bearcat 04-26-2024 09:14 AM

People who view Veach's job as a Madden GM should become CBB fans.

Buehler445 04-26-2024 10:12 AM

I think Self is upset about our shooting last year.

RockChalk 04-26-2024 10:12 AM

He only has himself to blame for that

KC_Connection 04-26-2024 11:05 AM

So I'm guessing we're looking at this right now:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GMGIJNRX...g&name=900x900

Although I think we should we find a way out of starting KJ with Dickinson again.

smithandrew051 04-26-2024 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 17497737)
So I'm guessing we're looking at this right now:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GMGIJNRX...g&name=900x900

Although I think we should we find a way out of starting KJ with Dickinson again.

I’m sure that’s the lineup right now.

My issue with KJ as a starter is that he’s just so limited by his height/length and lack of any outside shot.

He isn’t big enough to play under the basket. He isn’t any threat away from the basket.

Perfectly fine for an energy big off the bench. But that’s really it.

That’s why I want Bidunga to start. He’s got better height/length to play around the basket, but athletic enough to defend the opposing 4. He’d be the 5 on offense and 4 on defense.

smithandrew051 04-26-2024 11:09 AM

We could also go smaller with:

Harris
Mayo
Griffen
Storr
Dickinson

I’m sure we’ll see that lineup plenty though.

Mr. Plow 04-26-2024 11:28 AM

Is Timberlake gone or does he still have eligibility because I'm really hoping that he has no eligibility.

smithandrew051 04-26-2024 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 17497794)
Is Timberlake gone or does he still have eligibility because I'm really hoping that he has no eligibility.

None. That was his 6th year.

KC_Connection 04-26-2024 12:05 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hey <a href="https://twitter.com/H_Dickinson24?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@H_Dickinson24</a>, have you made a decision yet? Everybody wants to know what you’re thinking</p>&mdash; Bill Self (@CoachBillSelf) <a href="https://twitter.com/CoachBillSelf/status/1783919109123567910?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 26, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Mr. Plow 04-26-2024 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 17497807)
None. That was his 6th year.

https://media1.giphy.com/media/dX3dM...=200w.gif&ct=g

Just never know who has what eligibility anymore.

smithandrew051 04-26-2024 12:19 PM

Yeah, Dickinson is obviously coming back

cmh6476 04-26-2024 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 17497864)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hey <a href="https://twitter.com/H_Dickinson24?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@H_Dickinson24</a>, have you made a decision yet? Everybody wants to know what you’re thinking</p>&mdash; Bill Self (@CoachBillSelf) <a href="https://twitter.com/CoachBillSelf/status/1783919109123567910?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 26, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

that's pretty awesome

BWillie 04-26-2024 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 17497864)

Lol in the bag.

Big Dick is back!

smithandrew051 04-26-2024 12:33 PM

Dick confirmed.

Let’s roll boys.

KC_Connection 04-26-2024 12:34 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Unfinished business. <a href="https://t.co/5LYxWvCVQJ">pic.twitter.com/5LYxWvCVQJ</a></p>&mdash; Kansas Men’s Basketball (@KUHoops) <a href="https://twitter.com/KUHoops/status/1783926658229047638?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 26, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Now just have KJ on the bench and we're rolling.

smithandrew051 04-26-2024 12:41 PM

Vote you your PREFERRED starting lineup (NOT what you think we’ll do):

1:
Harris
Griffen
Storr
Adams
Dickinson

2:
Harris
Griffen
Storr
Bidunga
Dickinson

3:
Harris
Mayo
Griffen
Storr
Dickinson

4:
Harris
Griffen
Kugel
Storr
Dickinson

5:
Something else

smithandrew051 04-26-2024 12:42 PM

3 intrigues me the more I think about it.

5 versatile guys who can all shoot the 3. That’s like an old Villanova lineup.

Mr. Plow 04-26-2024 12:42 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Yeah you’re right coach. I guess it’s time to tell everyone I’m coming back! Rock Chalk!</p>&mdash; Hunter Dickinson (@H_Dickinson24) <a href="https://twitter.com/H_Dickinson24/status/1783926465123262960?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 26, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

BWillie 04-26-2024 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 17497948)

1:
Harris
Griffen
Storr
Adams
Dickinson

2:
Harris
Griffen
Storr
Bidunga
Dickinson

3:
Harris
Mayo
Griffen
Storr
Dickinson

4:
Harris
Griffen
Kugel
Storr
Dickinson

5:
Something else

#3 and it isnt even close. Perhaps if playing a team with two bigs who is punishing at rebounding then the one with Bidunga

smithandrew051 04-26-2024 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 17498001)
#3 and it isnt even close. Perhaps if playing a team with two bigs who is punishing at rebounding then the one with Bidunga

Self loves playing two point guards and having versatile wings.

You’d have Kugel for depth on the perimeter and 2 quality bench bigs.

You can even stand to take a chance on Elmarko or Clemence developing too.

RustShack 04-26-2024 05:30 PM

Jon Rothstein’s Early Pre-Season Top 10 is pretty wild. Four of the top five from the Big12, not even factoring in Arizona(I don’t know what they lose, return, or bring in).

Quote:

The ROTHSTEIN 45 has been updated.

TOP 10:

1. Kansas
2. Houston
3. Alabama
4. Iowa State
5. Baylor
6. North Carolina
7. Gonzaga
8. Creighton
9. Purdue
10. UConn

ROYC75 04-26-2024 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 17498680)
Jon Rothstein’s Early Pre-Season Top 10 is pretty wild. Four of the top five from the Big12, not even factoring in Arizona(I don’t know what they lose, return, or bring in).

Damn, 4 B12 In Top 5?

RaidersOftheCellar 04-26-2024 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 17497948)

1:
Harris
Griffen
Storr
Adams
Dickinson

2:
Harris
Griffen
Storr
Bidunga
Dickinson

3:
Harris
Mayo
Griffen
Storr
Dickinson

4:
Harris
Griffen
Kugel
Storr
Dickinson

5:
Something else

I'd take 3, but I'm pretty sure Self is going to start KJ. At least to begin the year.

Not sure it matters a lot anyway, because I think we'll see that lineup plenty, whether KJ starts or not.

lawrenceRaider 04-26-2024 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaidersOftheCellar (Post 17498792)
I'd take 3, but I'm pretty sure Self is going to start KJ. At least to begin the year.

Not sure it matters a lot anyway, because I think we'll see that lineup plenty, whether KJ starts or not.

3 for me as well. KJ will probably start the year, but I think he'll move to 6th man as the year progresses.

Lzen 04-27-2024 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 17499410)
3 for me as well. KJ will probably start the year, but l hope he'll move to 6th man as the year progresses.

FYP

BWillie 04-27-2024 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 17499410)
3 for me as well. KJ will probably start the year, but I think he'll move to 6th man as the year progresses.

Over Bill Selfs dead body

BigRedChief 04-27-2024 10:37 PM

Yep, 3 for me too.

smithandrew051 05-02-2024 03:11 PM

No surprise entries in the Portal.

Looks like the roster is pretty much set pending Kugel.

Sounds like we’re still working for a few guys which maybe has something to do with that.

Good to see McDowell and Elmarko see this through. Their best chance is being Self guys.

Al Czervik 05-02-2024 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 17507725)
No surprise entries in the Portal.

Looks like the roster is pretty much set pending Kugel.

Sounds like we’re still working for a few guys which maybe has something to do with that.

Good to see McDowell and Elmarko see this through. Their best chance is being Self guys.

Agreed....Happy to see JM and EJ stick around.

smithandrew051 05-02-2024 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Czervik (Post 17507912)

The fact that Self didn’t push them out AND they weren’t scared off by the influx of talent is a great sign.

BWillie 05-02-2024 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Czervik (Post 17507912)

I am team Elmarko as a person. Seems like a good head on his shoulders. Good teammates. Just bad feel for the game. I hope he makes a gigantic jump.

KC_Connection 05-02-2024 09:52 PM

Elmarko returning is actually shocking to me. Not something you’d expect to see in this era.

smithandrew051 05-02-2024 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 17508142)
Elmarko returning is actually shocking to me. Not something you’d expect to see in this era.

I find it really encouraging.

He’s looking at being the 6th guard in the rotation (behind Harris, Mayo, Storr, Griffen, and Kugel) as of now. I’d assume he’s still ahead of McDowell.

Elmarko has NBA athleticism, so there’s still a decent ceiling (unlike Pettiford or someone like that). Anything we get from him is a bonus, and maybe he develops into a nice 4 year player.

KC_Connection 05-02-2024 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 17508151)
I find it really encouraging.

He’s looking at being the 6th guard in the rotation (behind Harris, Mayo, Storr, Griffen, and Kugel) as of now. I’d assume he’s still ahead of McDowell.

Elmarko has NBA athleticism, so there’s still a decent ceiling (unlike Pettiford or someone like that). Anything we get from him is a bonus, and maybe he develops into a nice 4 year player.

Competition for minutes also tends to breed success. Definitely a very good thing if he’s pushing the guys ahead of him to play at a high level.

ChiefsFanatic 05-03-2024 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 17508135)
I am team Elmarko as a person. Seems like a good head on his shoulders. Good teammates. Just bad feel for the game. I hope he makes a gigantic jump.

He doesn't have a bad feel for the game. He is a point guard who had to learn how to play point guard without the ball, because Harris Jr. is the point guard.

Not only did he have to learn how to play with another PG, he had to learn it while playing at the University of Kansas, and also while playing a bunch of games against Top 10 teams, and then Top 25 teams.

Plus, he also had to learn to play defense the Bill Self Way.

Like, that's a lot of crap to throw at a kid in his first year of college basketball.

I am not saying he is great, but you can clearly see the talent, and if you pay attention to him during games, you can see his brain working instead of just playing.

If he had left, I would have understood, and I think it says a lot about him that he stayed. He could have left like a lot of players, such as Grimes (although it eventually worked out for him) but he didn't.

O.city 05-03-2024 07:28 AM

What's the thought on Furphy? Is he for sure gone?