ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Music Heavy Metal & Hard Rock thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=348406)

kpic 04-19-2023 05:33 AM

Now I know why Stryker was posting in the 'Old People' thread, that tour with Priest & Maiden together would have been 1981\1982!

I wasn't really fair in my original post regarding the band Hellion & its lead singer Ann Boleyn, I made it sound like she was just some hot female singer (I mean she was) but in reality she started her own band label (New Renaissance Records) when they couldn't get a major label deal (this at that time don't forget was in a heavy male dominated field) but vocally she was also right up there with the best of them.

Prior to seeing them live, this was one of the times I figured there was no way she could match belting out the songs live compared to what was on tape but she way exceeded that by a large margin. Its not even fair to label her 'for a woman singer' I'd put her right on top along with the other all-time outstanding singers from my live list; Eric Adams (Manowar), Bruce, Rob & King Diamond.

The only other time I was unexpectedly surprised like that was with Bobby Blitz (Overkill) another time I thought no way he could match singing live to what was on tape but was proven wrong.

Fishpicker 04-19-2023 06:39 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9lsgtsX-aLc" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

anybody remember this super group? former Black Sabbath members Ray Gillen and Eric Singer with Ozzys axe man, Jake E. Lee

rocknrolla 04-19-2023 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 16907675)
Heavy Metal and Hard Rock bands I have seen live: Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Slayer, Alter Bridge, Band-Maid, Alice in Chains, Ministry, The Cult, Alice Cooper, Dream Theater, Lamb of God, Trivium, Megadeth, Epica, Sabaton, Ghost, Hatebreed

Alter Bridge??? go **** your self. Thats not hard rock or heavy metal, bubble gum bullshit!

InChiefsHeaven 04-19-2023 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush (Post 16907284)
The vocals can be hard to get used to. Yelling is one thing (Slayer, Pantera), but I tend to tune out the moment I hear some guy growling like an animal, or like he's about to vomit (Cannibal Corpse).

What kills me is, I honestly feel like the vocals could be sung by a really talented vocalist for most of this stuff and it would make it better. Cannibal Corpse is a great example of "What the **** is he grumbling about?"

I hate that shit. There's a place for emotion and screaming, but when it's all garbled shit, it's...well...shit.

KCUnited 04-19-2023 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHeaven (Post 16907972)
What kills me is, I honestly feel like the vocals could be sung by a really talented vocalist for most of this stuff and it would make it better. Cannibal Corpse is a great example of "What the **** is he grumbling about?"

I hate that shit. There's a place for emotion and screaming, but when it's all garbled shit, it's...well...shit.

I can understand different tastes in vocal styles but the bands name is Cannibal Corpse.

Are you really expecting a song called Stripped, Raped and Strangled to be sang with a Meat Loaf vocal style?

Think of death metal vocals as an additional instrument. Nobody gives a single **** about the lyrics.

AdolfOliverBush 04-19-2023 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 16907992)
I can understand different tastes in vocal styles but the bands name is Cannibal Corpse.

Are you really expecting a song called Stripped, Raped and Strangled to be sang with a Meat Loaf vocal style?

Think of death metal vocals as an additional instrument. Nobody gives a single **** about the lyrics.

"Don't touch that radio dial! Up next is 'I cum blood' by Michael Bublé."

InChiefsHeaven 04-19-2023 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 16907992)

Indeed. I mean, how could they?

Thing is, I'm a vocalist, and so I pay very close attention to and give heavy weight to a band's vocals. It baffles me that you could have a band full of really damn good musicians only to have it ruined by the same flat, phlegmy growling vocals...I mean seriously, it does take some work to do that shit to your voice, but I'd hardly call it singing...

/old man Maiden fan out...

lawrenceRaider 04-19-2023 08:26 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-w2m-TeLi6I" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

KCUnited 04-19-2023 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush (Post 16908000)
"Don't touch that radio dial! Up next is 'I cum blood' by Michael Bublé."

The falsetto after the guitar solo in “****ed, Stabbed, and Eaten” moved me to tears

htismaqe 04-19-2023 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHeaven (Post 16908008)
Indeed. I mean, how could they?

Thing is, I'm a vocalist, and so I pay very close attention to and give heavy weight to a band's vocals. It baffles me that you could have a band full of really damn good musicians only to have it ruined by the same flat, phlegmy growling vocals...I mean seriously, it does take some work to do that shit to your voice, but I'd hardly call it singing...

/old man Maiden fan out...

You need to give extreme metal more of a chance, man. It might shock you to know that a lot of those growlers and squealers can actually SING. Some of the best hardcore and extreme bands have VERY versatile singers, which creates a sort of tension in the songwriting that can be really emotionally impactful.

Buddy Rich 04-19-2023 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 16908011)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-w2m-TeLi6I" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dear God almighty, that's so terrible. It's like bad 80's Heart with more tattoos.

htismaqe 04-19-2023 10:02 AM

Most of the metalheads here know I'm a massive stoner/doom fan.

My absolute favorite bands are Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, and Dio.

After that, it's stuff like Kyuss/QOTSA, Orange Goblin, Mastodon, The Sword, and High on Fire that gets me going. I love Motorhead. I love Ozzy's solo stuff. I also like a bit of metalcore/deathcore - bands like Phinehas and Impending Doom.

As far as controversial or disputable takes:

Megadeth > Metallica
Sabbath Dio > Sabbath Ozzy

alpha_omega 04-19-2023 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishpicker (Post 16907893)
....anybody remember this super group? former Black Sabbath members Ray Gillen and Eric Singer with Ozzys axe man, Jake E. Lee

Absolutely. Solid hard rock.
Still in semi-regular rotation here.

htismaqe 04-19-2023 10:08 AM

Jake E. Lee is way underrated IMO. His work with Ozzy is brilliant and he's done some great stuff recently as well. Too bad so much of his career was consumed by the fallout from Sharon being a raging bitch.

htismaqe 04-19-2023 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stryker (Post 16907696)
Judas Priest - Point of Entry

An often-overlooked but legit great album.