ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Fellow Cord-cutters...What is your setup? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=304871)

DMAC 01-05-2017 08:47 AM

Bunny ears and Netflix. And in the summer, MLB.tv.

unlurking 01-05-2017 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaid (Post 12661404)
No, the On Demand is pretty underwhelming. Looks basically like what you can get from their individual sites, just packaged nicely for you.

:(

Thanks for the info.

Chief Pagan 01-05-2017 01:09 PM

I have an old Windows 7 desktop that I plug directly into my living room TV with HDMI. Windows 7 media player has a DVR. I use this for OTA. I even have a remote that works with the media player DVR.

For ESPN, I'm using a co-workers XFINITY password, but I'm tired of having to watch all the sports live and not being able to fast forward through commercials. I'm willing to go illegal when the only option is some type of bundle (I started paying for Sunday ticket when I could buy a stand alone streaming that didn't require DirectTV). But $40 for the ESPN sports isn't too unreasonable.

So the Playstation option with a cloud DVR sound like it has potential.

How friendly is the DVR for fast forwarding through commercials? So I would be using the Windows 7 desktop. I have a wireless mouse and keyboard on the coffee table. As I presume I would have to do this with a mouse (as opposed to any sort of remote). It is not a "smart" TV nor do I have any other type of console or cable box attached to it.

MagicHef 01-06-2017 01:42 PM

CBS all access now claims to be streaming NFL games. That's pretty interesting.

Bob Dole 01-11-2017 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicHef (Post 12663782)
CBS all access now claims to be streaming NFL games. That's pretty interesting.

wiz1.net has been solid for Bob Dole this season. Won't load on the TV native, but a miniDV to HDMI cable solves that.

Amazon Fire Stick (jail broken), Hulu, Amazon Prime and Netflix, shared 2 ways.

Mosbonian 01-14-2017 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 12659414)
I am incredibly too lazy to mess with all of this shit just to save $100 a month.

Call me old...but I'm with you. It's nice just to sit down and flip on my Xfinity and watch what I want with the package I picked.

My internet works fine and I actually have the channels I actually watch the most.

MahiMike 01-14-2017 07:00 PM

I keep thinking this thread is about cutting cords of wood.

WilliamTheIrish 01-15-2017 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosbonian (Post 12682477)
Call me old...but I'm with you. It's nice just to sit down and flip on my Xfinity and watch what I want with the package I picked.

My internet works fine and I actually have the channels I actually watch the most.

I guess for some folks it's just a few bucks. For me, it's a ridiculous amount of money for channels and content that I have zero interest in. I've saved 2800$ in the last 15 months.

Plus, I love learning about this stuff.

Mosbonian 01-15-2017 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish (Post 12684216)
I guess for some folks it's just a few bucks. For me, it's a ridiculous amount of money for channels and content that I have zero interest in. I've saved 2800$ in the last 15 months.

Oh, I get people's desire to cut the cord and applaud it. But I haven't had to spend over $90 a month for the internet and cable packages I have wanted/needed for the past 7 years.

Everyone has been talking about the death of cable and satellite TV for years. I can see it happening eventually, but not within my lifetime.

The Franchise 01-15-2017 12:21 PM

Anybody use PlayStation Vue?

siberian khatru 01-15-2017 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 12684622)
Anybody use PlayStation Vue?

I do.

Only complaint is sometimes TCM can't stream a movie it's broadcasting because of weird rights issues.

siberian khatru 01-15-2017 12:33 PM

Quote:

Me on both counts

arrowheadnation 01-15-2017 12:51 PM

For those in Wichita on PS vue, I just noticed last night that local CBS (KWCH) was added to the channel lineup! Hopefully the other locals are close behind!

Chief Pagan 01-15-2017 01:30 PM

Quote:

It is not that much money for me and I hate learning this stuff. But Comcast has a monopoly on broadband in my neighborhood. I have to pay them for broadband and I really don't want to pay them anymore money.

Chief Pagan 01-15-2017 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 12684646)
I do.

Only complaint is sometimes TCM can't stream a movie it's broadcasting because of weird rights issues.

So I'm really out of touch about how all these different systems are set up. For the playstation streaming through a desktop, is there a way to use a remote to fast forward through commercials? Is there anyway to do something like a 30 second advance with one button or one mouse click?