ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Thanksgiving 2017 food (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=311518)

Buehler445 11-14-2017 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 13216306)
Aww man, really? I'm the opposite. I wish they served traditional Thanksgiving food more often.
Posted via Mobile Device

Eh. Nothing is really bad, I just like other food better.

-Not a big Turkey Guy. By the time winter is over, I'm over ham.
-Mashed potatoes are mashed potatoes - I used to eat the shit out of them, but sometime between when I went to college and now, my pallet changed and I'm not all about them anymore. Too rich I think.
-Veggies are veggies.
-Not a big casserole guy.
-Our family hasn't done much with cranberry. Not a big fan anyway.
-Not a huge pie guy.

Problem is I kick out decent smoked turkey - so my family insists on it. I even offered to cook steak one time and got yelled at.

tooge 11-14-2017 11:12 AM

I did the Alton Brown dry brined turkey the past two years and it's the best turkey I've ever had. I cook two of them. One of them will be on the Weber kettle with offset coals, so it'll be smoked with pecan wood. The other I'll do more traditionally in the oven.
cranberry/walnut relish
Butternut squash with bacon and pecans
mashed taters
a big spinach salad with mixed veggies
peach pie
I'll come up with another side too, probably with brussel sprouts.

Rasputin 11-14-2017 11:22 AM

As God as my witness I thought turkeys could fly / Arthur Carlson WKRP

O.city 11-14-2017 11:31 AM

Gonna fry a wild bird this year, if I can kill one next week on my "deer" hunt.

If not I'll fry a regular one and may end up smoking one. Last year I did 1 of each.

Simply Red 11-14-2017 11:51 AM

If any of you do Ted's Montana Grill - they put out a very lovely TG dinner - cheaper than making it and a hell of a lot easier. Just an idea.

Simply Red 11-14-2017 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13216386)
Gonna fry a wild bird this year, if I can kill one next week on my "deer" hunt.

If not I'll fry a regular one and may end up smoking one. Last year I did 1 of each.

OH!

Fire Me Boy! 11-14-2017 12:09 PM

Anyone have a recommendation for seasoning on a fried turkey?

Simply Red 11-14-2017 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 13216442)

I wanted to tell you - has nothing to do w/ your post - but I'll forget.

Next time you do chicken wings - add some oregano flakes to your sauce. I know it sounds funny but it's a chemistry much like peanut butter+chocolate. Just works.

Frosty 11-14-2017 12:28 PM

Eating at the in-laws' this year so overcooked, dry turkey dipped in mashed potatoes it is.

Fire Me Boy! 11-14-2017 12:33 PM

Here's a tip for your serving day: A large Thermos is an excellent container for gravy. Use what you want in the gravy boat, but keep the extra in the Thermos - it'll stay perfect consistency and not thicken for hours.

srvy 11-14-2017 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorce (Post 13216184)
Pretty much, works pretty well on birds of any sort.

So the drip juice collection tray can it be used for the dripping and gravy etc. Many times I find it gets to hot and burns on grills. This is interesting as I was going to smoke the bird on the Camp Chef pellet grill I purchased but I just wasnt happy with results my first smoke with it.

cooper barrett 11-14-2017 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13216257)
I will be drinking for Thanksgiving and and smoking pork ribs and probably, smoked/ wine braised/ seared beef ribs that I picked up from the high priced butcher.

The Grandson is being born on the Tuesday after TD unless he has a mind of his own. The SO will fly home and we will pack for AZ for the winter and spring.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 13216273)
Did they name her Kaitlyn yet?

I corrected it... thanks, now all the hookers are laughing

gblowfish 11-14-2017 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 13216469)
Here's a tip for your serving day: A large Thermos is an excellent container for gravy. Use what you want in the gravy boat, but keep the extra in the Thermos - it'll stay perfect consistency and not thicken for hours.

I have relatives that would probably drink an entire thermos of gravy if allowed to.....

I love Cranberries. LOVE them. I like whole berries and the jellied Ocean Spray Cranberry Sauce too.
Every Thanksgiving I go to Frankfort, KS with my wife's side of the family. It's a free for all. I've had Thanksgiving dinner in the front seat of my car from a paper plate with plastic knife and fork many of the 24 years I've been married to Mrs. Blowfish. It's OK, it's a big family gathering, so its just comes with the deal.

I usually get deviled eggs, green bean casserole with the onion ring topping, mashed potatoes and turkey gravy, stuffing, hot rolls and butter, cranberries (yeah baby) black olives, spiced apple rings, black cherry jello with black cherrys and chunks of pineapple inside, some kind of corn casserole, Stephenson's Apple Cider and Tippin's Chocolate Pie for dessert. And there's always one of those big electric roasting pans full of turkey, and another full of big chunks of Kansas Farm Ham. Iced Tea or Kool Aid if you don't like cider. That's a North Central Kansas Thanksgiving, my friends.

cooper barrett 11-14-2017 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13216418)
If any of you do Ted's Montana Grill - they put out a very lovely TG dinner - cheaper than making it and a hell of a lot easier. Just an idea.

Are you getting a commission or just seeing if anyone is listening to you.

cooper barrett 11-14-2017 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 13216442)

Brine and inject