ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football SBNation: It should cost 1 point to punt. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=316370)

TimeForWasp 07-22-2018 03:14 AM

Spiking the ball should be intentional grounding.

Pasta Little Brioni 07-22-2018 04:41 AM

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. I award you no points...

rico 07-22-2018 04:53 AM

Y

Lzen 07-22-2018 07:37 AM

Dumb. Football is not a stupid ****ing card game.

Pasta Little Brioni 07-22-2018 08:15 AM

This is a loon Direction/Athletic level bad idea

Rain Man 07-22-2018 12:27 PM

If I had to guess, I'd say that the offense scores about 65 percent of points, special teams scores 30 (if you count extra points for them), and the defense scores 5. This is a big imbalance.

If we want to fix it, we need more special teams points and more defensive points. I propose the following:

Special Teams:

1 point for the kicking team per fair catch
2 points for a kickoff between the uprights
12 points for a touchdown return
2 points per blocked kick or punt
2 points for a return that is stopped inside the 10

Defense
1 point per quarterback sack or tackle for loss
3 points per turnover
1 point for forcing a fourth down
1 point for any incomplete pass that touches a receiver

That should even it up. We can turn this sport into a pinball game.

RealSNR 07-22-2018 01:15 PM

Forcing a team to punt is worth a point, but a safety is still only worth 2?

A safety is like the defense scoring a TD without possession of the ball. Just as the offense scores a TD because they're basically out of yards on the field they can possibly gain, a defense has pretty much scored because they've forced the offense back so far they're no longer in the field of play... the offense is out of yards they can be pushed back.

To me, I always thought a safety should be worth more. Maybe keep the "bullshit" safeties at 2 points like fumbling into the end zone out of bounds or offensive holding that occurs in the end zone. Everything else, however, should be worth more. Perhaps double it to 4, or you could even treat a safety like a defensive TD, which is what I argued for earlier.

I think that rule should be changed before we **** around with subtracting points for punts.

Renegade 07-22-2018 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65TPT (Post 13638720)
Spiking the ball should be intentional grounding.

By the rule, it is intentional grounding. QB is between the tackles, the ball never passes the line of scrimmage, and there is no eligible receiver. Spiking the ball should be a loss of down and penalty yards assessed.

RippedmyFlesh 07-22-2018 03:18 PM

Taking away points would get weird in a close game. What I would like to see is limit the number of punts per team through out the game. Don't know what a magic number would be though.

Best22 07-22-2018 03:42 PM

Dumb.

If you force every coach to go for it on 4th down, it takes away the awesomeness and balls of actually doing it. It's no longer a bold move

It would take away alot of the depth and diversity from the game (i.e., aggressive vs conservative). When all coaches make the same decisions, that takes away 50% of the fun, and makes risky decisions like going for it, no longer "risky"

Buehler445 07-22-2018 04:49 PM

Squirmin Herman Mother****ing Sack of **** Edwards would have negative points on the year if left to his own devices.

Rasputin 07-22-2018 09:12 PM

How about when a ref misses a blatant call on the field he gets ball tagged in the nuts?

Chief Pagan 07-22-2018 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin (Post 13638263)
Teams don't like to punt to Tyreek anyway .Lets penalize them.

I would penalize a team if the punt lands out of bounds. The receiving team gets the ball 15 yards from the line of scrimmage.

On kickoffs, I would only penalize for the kickoff landing out of bound. Lands in and bounces out, nice kick.