ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc Pittbulls kill 2 year old and 5 month old (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=345487)

tredadda 10-24-2023 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 17187599)
Have a relative who had a pitbull who was properly trained and socialized. Snapped after 12 years and tried to kill her, mauling her hands and arms and leaving her hospitalized for weeks.

It does NOT all stem back to the owner.

We have a Pembroke Welsh Corgi who is trained and relatively well behaved most times. Some times though she ignores us and does what she wants. It stems from her being a herding dog. It’s instinctual for her to be the one in control. Doesn’t make her a bad dog or a dog with no discipline, just one whose instincts take over at times. Pit Bulls are bred to fight and all the training in the world could make them passive, but the risk of that side coming out is always there.

LoneWolf 10-24-2023 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Ten Beers (Post 17187608)
LMAO

Yep, see those stories all the time of normal, nice families who socialize them and they still snap... they're just a breed prone to it

Just socializing this type of dog is not enough. They need constant focused training and the owners need training as well on how to handle a large breed dog with that much power and how to spot aggressive body language so aggressive behavior can be stopped before it manifests into an incident. I volunteer at a rescue for pits and in my estimation only about 5% of the population is capable of being a good owner for one. There are so many things you have to learn about these dogs and so much specialized training required that you should really need a license to own one. You need to now what their specific triggers are (food, possession, noise, same sex, etc...) and you have to work with them on dealing with those triggers.

Easy 6 10-24-2023 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 17187630)
Just socializing this type of dog is not enough. They need constant focused training and the owners need training as well on how to handle a large breed dog with that much power and how to spot aggressive body language so aggressive behavior can be stopped before it manifests into an incident. I volunteer at a rescue for pits and in my estimation only about 5% of the population is capable of being a good owner for one. There are so many things you have to learn about these dogs and so much specialized training required that you should really need a license to own one. You need to now what their specific triggers are (food, possession, noise, same sex, etc...) and you have to work with them on dealing with those triggers.

I tell you what'd be a whole lot easier, just outlaw them nationwide... so when the living ones die off, they're all gone

rabblerouser 10-24-2023 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dole (Post 16514931)
I feel so bad about them that I own one.

Do you have toddlers in the home?

rabblerouser 10-24-2023 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 17187630)

I personally feel Pitties get a bad rap from stupid ****ing owners.

Pibble owners should be young, single, and live a quiet, solitary life.

JPH83 10-24-2023 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 17187443)
I had one charge my 4 year old when while I was working on a flower garden in my front yard. That dog started charging at my Son and got within 20 yards of him before I squared that beast in the jaw with my shovel. It ****ed the dog up enough that it laid on the ground for about 10 seconds whimpering and then scurried off. It's too bad I wasn't carrying. I would have happily put a bullet in it's head.

Good for you man. So we all agree, f*** these dogs. No guns where I am and there's sh*tloads of these and the American Bully XLs messing people up. I hate them and their owners.

LoneWolf 10-24-2023 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Ten Beers (Post 17187640)
I tell you what'd be a whole lot easier, just outlaw them nationwide... so when the living ones die off, they're all gone

Nah, just regulate breeding to start breeding some of the aggression out of them and require a license that can only be earned through rigorous training classes to own one. No reason to outlaw a breed that has been around since the 1800s.

Hog's Gone Fishin 10-24-2023 03:09 PM

I LOVE pittbulls.

Taste kinda like chicken.

George Liquor 10-24-2023 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 17187686)
Nah, just regulate breeding to start breeding some of the aggression out of them and require a license that can only be earned through rigorous training classes to own one. No reason to outlaw a breed that has been around since the 1800s.

Haven't they been trying to breed the aggression out of them for decades? I feel like a 4 legged ticking time bomb isn't worth it when there are so many other wonderful breeds of dogs.

These things are like a status symbol for some stupid reason.

Rain Man 10-24-2023 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdj23 (Post 17187741)
Haven't they been trying to breed the aggression out of them for decades? I feel like a 4 legged ticking time bomb isn't worth it when there are so many other wonderful breeds of dogs.

These things are like a status symbol for some stupid reason.

I think it's a byproduct of the current fad of "I don't have to follow rules because I'm special". If someone says you shouldn't do something, we now see big flocks of people who do that very thing.

I feel like we need a faster form of darwinism, though. Maybe we should put big electrified fountains in town squares with signs that say, "Don't go into the water."

tredadda 10-24-2023 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 17187686)

I gave you a thumbs up because what you suggested is a good idea. My only question is why have them? What does a Pit Bull provide outside of being a status symbol?

ThaVirus 10-24-2023 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tredadda (Post 17187754)
I gave you a thumbs up because what you suggested is a good idea. My only question is why have them? What does a Pit Bull provide outside of being a status symbol?

Loving companion..?

Same as any other breed of dog.

George Liquor 10-24-2023 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 17187750)
I think it's a byproduct of the current fad of "I don't have to follow rules because I'm special". If someone says you shouldn't do something, we now see big flocks of people who do that very thing.

I feel like we need a faster form of darwinism, though. Maybe we should put big electrified fountains in town squares with signs that say, "Don't go into the water."

Good idea

My neighborhood now full of kids that are 2-5 years old. I'd just hate to see something bad happen to one of them because the 110lb woman can't control her dog that is 80lbs of muscle.

Plus there has been a few occasions that people have dumped pits in the country and they wander into my neighborhood.

JPH83 10-24-2023 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 17187757)
Loving companion..?

Same as any other breed of dog.

Mayhe just own another breed of dog then I reckon

notorious 10-24-2023 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Ten Beers (Post 17187608)
LMAO

Yep, see those stories all the time of normal, nice families who socialize them and they still snap... they're just a breed prone to it

Seen it with my own eyes. My story is also buried in this thread.