ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chris Jones - Making Him the Highest Paid Defender in the League (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=329758)

BossChief 07-14-2020 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 14830777)
You don’t trade guys like Reggie White, Michael Stephan and Chris Jones. Especially when the player wants to play his whole career in KC and has consistently said as much.

The guy is a unicorn.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 14869082)
Something I know for sure is Mahomes contacted Sammy and Chris and is willing to do a Mahometown discount to keep both in KC. The part that’s taking so long is the structure of all 3 deals so there is cap flexibility in the future and finding deals that satisfy all 3.

If all 3 are reasonable, I expect all 3 deals to be announced within a week of each other.

The hang up is possibly the upcoming TV deals due to the coronavirus complicating the amount the deals are negotiated for in many ways.

Sammy signed his redo before the other 2...

BossChief 07-14-2020 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 14832898)
I think if they can sign him to what Frank Clark got, that would be a huge bargain and they should do it immediately after the CBA is signed. Either that or a 3 year deal similar to how Veach structured Landlord and Watkins deals. Something like 3/60 with 40 guaranteed. That allows Chris to hit FA again while still in his prime once the CBA explodes.

I thought it would be 3/60 and it ended up 4/80.

Missed it by a year.

DRM08 07-14-2020 08:28 PM

Jones & Mahomes both gave discounts to keep this team together. Special culture in Kansas City.

BossChief 07-14-2020 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRM08 (Post 15067499)
Jones & Mahomes both gave discounts to keep this team together. Special culture in Kansas City.

So did Sammy

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 07-14-2020 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 15067557)
So did Sammy

Sammys comments make me think that he’s in the future plans for the Chiefs beyond 2020 season

Halfcan 07-14-2020 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! (Post 15067566)
Sammys comments make me think that he’s in the future plans for the Chiefs beyond 2020 season

He could finish with a handful of rings- why would he want to go anywhere else?

This is a nice selling point for the Chiefs.

Wallcrawler 10-26-2021 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 15066202)
I was pretty close. $60 mil guaranteed is tied for the most guaranteed for a defender.

60 million guaranteed. As far as robberies go, that number puts him just what, 7 million dollars below Matt Cassel?

At least Jones can put his ****ing hat on, if he doesn't hurt his little wrist in the process.

lcarus 10-27-2021 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 14843721)
Frank Clark is as good as any player on this team not named Patrick Mahomes. It’s amazing that people still don’t acknowledge that

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 14843740)
I agree. Now it’s awesome when Jones wrecks shit up the middle but Frank Clark is a stud.

Damn things change fast in the NFL.

Red Dawg 10-27-2021 09:20 AM

I never thought we would be able to keep Jones with Clark at the time. Having 2 DL's making over 20 mil each was unheard of and honestly a crippling move for one group. Like everyone else I was happy we did but like other big contracts for players they rarely work and don't bite you in the ass. It seems they always get slammed a stupid move quickly after they have been signed because the player can't keep up the production that justified the pay increase.

Clark and Jones were a big reason we won the SB in 19 and now their deals are cement boots on a team that certainly won't win it again this year. Clark will be gone but still 12 mil in dead cap and Jones we are stuck with for the next year and then a 7 mil dead cap if he's gone.

Only the QB is worth over 20 mil per season.

Shields68 10-27-2021 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg (Post 15916932)
I never thought we would be able to keep Jones with Clark at the time. Having 2 DL's making over 20 mil each was unheard of and honestly a crippling move for one group. Like everyone else I was happy we did but like other big contracts for players they rarely work and don't bite you in the ass. It seems they always get slammed a stupid move quickly after they have been signed because the player can't keep up the production that justified the pay increase.

Clark and Jones were a big reason we won the SB in 19 and now their deals are cement boots on a team that certainly won't win it again this year. Clark will be gone but still 12 mil in dead cap and Jones we are stuck with for the next year and then a 7 mil dead cap if he's gone.

It might not be as crippling if they were playing to all-star level.

Red Dawg 10-27-2021 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shields68 (Post 15917085)
It might not be as crippling if they were playing to all-star level.

Very true and if they were playing at an all star level we wouldn't be looking at money at all. But we are right now because we will need that money to get better next year but it's being pissed away.

Pitt Gorilla 11-21-2021 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg (Post 15916932)

Clark and Jones are both playing really, really well.