ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Looks like Spagnuolo [favorite for] DC (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=320843)

Sassy Squatch 01-23-2019 11:30 AM

Maybe we'll just sign Gerald McCoy. Sounds like his time is up in Tampa.

FringeNC 01-23-2019 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14066852)
Yards are more predictive over any appreciable timeline and a better demonstration of 'dominance' and/or duration that points surrendered.

Yes, in any given game, 'bend but don't break' can hold teams to field goals, keep the points down and win you a ballgame. But over the course of the season you're going to eventually run into that critical game where the red zone stops or 3rd down stops just don't come and you bend...then break.

Yep, Bill Belichick seems like the only guy that year after year, the point ranking is substantially better than the yardage ranking. With everyone else, it's just noise. It's the yardage rank that truly measures a defense, and yards per play may matter more than total yards.

RaidersOftheCellar 01-23-2019 11:30 AM

Do people really think the Chiefs had the best pass rush in the league?

You don't finish 31st in yards allowed with the league's best pass rush. You just don't. The Chiefs accumulated sacks because the defense was on the field a lot. No three and outs and a quick-score offense = many more opportunities for pressure.

I'm pretty sure their sack rate wasn't amazing.

Mecca 01-23-2019 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 14066937)
Maybe we'll just sign Gerald McCoy. Sounds like his time is up in Tampa.

So you want to play Jones at end or play them together in the middle?

Chris Meck 01-23-2019 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 14066913)
All teams kick that can down the line that is nothing new.

Yeah, I mean, no matter what if you don't hit on draft picks you're ****ed.

I've been thinking a lot about 'talent' in the NFL. So many teams are lacking 'talent'. yet, on draft day, the pundits love their picks and think they've really done a great job of increasing their talent levels.

And then those same teams continue to suck. Why?

Coaching. Player DEVELOPMENT. These guys don't arrive as finished products. We've done a shit job on the defensive side of the ball in player development for a while now. This year, ironically, you could argue that they did their best job in that department, although it's too little too late. Jones, Ford, Ward, Watts, O'Daniel, Lucas, Nnadi all showed growth and promise.

I think a new staff could help these guys all take the next step.

I'm optimistic. I wouldn't mind if Spags keeps Mike Smith around, he's done well with his position groups the last two years.

Chiefshrink 01-23-2019 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 14066672)
How can a defense not be called aggressive with that sack count?

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14066667)
Yes, we also had arguably the NFL’s best trio of pass rushers in Ford/Jones/Houston. What’s your point?

Sacks don't mean anything if you can't stop the run against a good offense that exposes this weakness especially in the playoffs. See the Pats game and time of possession.

Sassy Squatch 01-23-2019 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 14066940)
So you want to play Jones at end or play them together in the middle?

Wouldn't be too upset with either. When Jones lined up farther out in the 3-4 he seemed to do some serious damage.

BryanBusby 01-23-2019 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pest (Post 14066927)
Deflate? The dude is getting paid $20 million for 9-10 sacks. He hasn't done shit since his 22 sack season. If he thinks he can get paid better on the open market....then have at it.

He has a base salary of 15m for this season. If you're going to trim enough to get his hit for 2019 down to a reasonable amount, yeah he could get more in a FA market filled with teams that have more cap space than sense.

DJ's left nut 01-23-2019 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In58men (Post 14066897)
****, you’re truly miserable over something that hasn’t happened yet.

If there was one remember to represent CP, it would be you......boo.

And if there was one 'remember' to represent those fist-pumping dipshits in the Eric Fisher draft gif it would be you.

The way you wear your ignorance as a badge of honor is something to behold.

staylor26 01-23-2019 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaidersOftheCellar (Post 14066939)
Do people really think the Chiefs had the best pass rush in the league?

You don't finish 31st in yards allowed with the league's best pass rush. You just don't. The Chiefs accumulated sacks because the defense was on the field a lot. No three and outs and a quick-score offense = many more opportunities for pressure.

I'm pretty sure their sack rate wasn't amazing.

They were 7th with Houston and Ford both missing time.

Mecca 01-23-2019 11:33 AM

Also a good question to ask, I dunno this since I didn't follow the guy closely. What is Spags record for playing young players? Sutton seemed really averse to it..hopefully this guy isn't like that.

In58men 01-23-2019 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14066949)
And if there was one 'remember' to represent those fist-pumping dipshits in the Eric Fisher draft gif it would be you.

The way you wear your ignorance as a badge of honor is something to behold.

See post #360

Mecca 01-23-2019 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 14066947)
He has a base salary of 15m for this season. If you're going to trim enough to get his hit for 2019 down to a reasonable amount, yeah he could get more in a FA market filled with teams that have more cap space than sense.

If after making something like 85 million dollars in his career he'd rather play for a bottom feeder to keep getting the jack than be on a winner on the cusp then hey more power to him.

Chris Meck 01-23-2019 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14066914)
I just can't see them cutting Houston and Berry.

Maybe, but I just don't know about that.

The only way you don't cut Berry is if his surgery and recovery time has him ready to go in September. Earlier, maybe, as it's a new system. Even then, you may need to restructure.

I doubt all of that, so I expect they'll cut bait June 1st and get the $9m or so back. You can get a good S for that money.

Houston is due $21m. No way you pay that. He restructures or he's gone, and you get like $15m back. You can get a fine DE for that money.

Both are 30. Both are huge injury concerns. You just can't have that much money tied up in guys that are unavailable that often.

Mecca 01-23-2019 11:36 AM

It's time to start over, the cornerstones of the past are aging and injury prone.