ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink What's for dinner? Here's mine... (Part 2) (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285408)

In58men 01-25-2015 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 11291835)
We're having the Mississippi roast tonight!

How did it turn out?

I used a 5 lb roast and it was kinda salty, hopefully you didn't use a very small roast might be very salty.

RobBlake 01-25-2015 08:47 PM

sonic

lewdog 01-25-2015 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 11292096)
How did it turn out?

I used a 5 lb roast and it was kinda salty, hopefully you didn't use a very small roast might be very salty.

Used a 3lb roast and only half of each packet. I looked at the sodium content of both packets and though, ah helllll no!

It was actually good though. Still surprised without having to add water how moist it comes out and my wife who is really picky even liked it. I'd make it again for something very quick and easy.

Thanks for posting.

In58men 01-25-2015 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 11292118)
Used a 3lb roast and only half of each packet. I looked at the sodium content of both packets and though, ah helllll no!

It was actually good though. Still surprised without having to add water how moist it comes out and my wife who is really picky even liked it. I'd make it again for something very quick and easy.

Thanks for posting.

No problem. Glad you guys enjoyed it.

Buzz 01-25-2015 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 11292096)
How did it turn out?

I stopped using salt, watching my blood pressure. I generally cook a roast at 275 degrees for about 2.5 to 3 hours.

Fire Me Boy! 01-25-2015 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz (Post 11292128)
I stopped using salt, watching my blood pressure. I generally cook a roast at 275 degrees for about 2.5 to 3 hours.

Have you acclimated to the lower sodium yet? I use a little, but have to stay under 2g myself. Didn't take very long to get used to it, and now most restaurant food is too salty for me.

lewdog 01-25-2015 08:59 PM

I usually try to watch my sodium too but have not been great on that lately.

What are some load sodium things you use on food if you don't mind sharing?

In58men 01-25-2015 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz (Post 11292128)

I had one large bowl of pho the other day and I looked up the nutrition facts afterwards and one medium contains 1,500 mg of sodium. Let's say that I'll never eat that again.

Fire Me Boy! 01-25-2015 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 11292144)

Cooking low sodium, acid (vinegars, lemon juice, etc.) is your friend. It's a common replacement, and you'll be amazed how it plays the part of salt quite well. I also tend to amp up the spices - garlic, chiles, etc. A squeeze of fresh lemon or lime on a steak is great, btw. Very Tuscan.

But for me, I don't cut the salt out completely. I just use less than half what I normally would. Makes it so you still get a lot of the effect. Under seasoned is better than not seasoned.

Buzz 01-25-2015 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 11292141)
Have you acclimated to the lower sodium yet? I use a little, but have to stay under 2g myself. Didn't take very long to get used to it, and now most restaurant food is too salty for me.

Anymore, everything taste to salty. I stopped using it all together, if you need more salt, put it on yourself.

lewdog 01-25-2015 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 11292156)
Cooking low sodium, acid (vinegars, lemon juice, etc.) is your friend. It's a common replacement, and you'll be amazed how it plays the part of salt quite well. I also tend to amp up the spices - garlic, chiles, etc. A squeeze of fresh lemon or lime on a steak is great, btw. Very Tuscan.

But for me, I don't cut the salt out completely. I just use less than half what I normally would. Makes it so you still get a lot of the effect. Under seasoned is better than not seasoned.

Yea I do most of that already. I think it's why over the past few years and living in Arizona that I really enjoy spicy now. Peppers of all kinds especially to add flavor without sodium.

Sweet Daddy Hate 01-25-2015 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 11292144)

I don't use regular salt much anymore. I go pretty heavy with lemon pepper and garlic salt.

lewdog 01-25-2015 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Williams (Post 11292227)
I don't use regular salt much anymore. I go pretty heavy with lemon pepper and garlic salt.

Both of which contain salt, especially garlic salt which is very high in sodium.

Hammock Parties 01-25-2015 09:51 PM

Stop being a nancy and don't worry about sodium.

lewdog 01-25-2015 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Numbah One (Post 11292243)
Stop being a nancy and don't worry about sodium.

I have high blood pressure genius. It's from genetics as being in shape and exercising all my life hasn't helped. I've been on BP medications since I was 21 as nothing else was able to control my readings. So I try to watch my sodium as well.