ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Star Wars: The Mandalorian (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=317951)

Tribal Warfare 01-05-2021 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randallflagg (Post 15443913)
Funny, I was thinking the very same thing. Of course, I'm an old man and have seen these same plots (westerns) since I was a kid, but I have honestly expected to see Yul Brenner, Steve McQueen, Robert Vaughn, Charles Bronson and the rest of the cast to pop up again in the Magnificent Mandalorian............or, as known back in the early 60s - The Magnificent 7....:clap:

Or the true original The 7 Samurai

Easy 6 01-09-2021 10:37 AM

Binged the first 5 episodes of season one at a buddies house last night, and now truly get what all the hype is about

Its everything the shitty movies are not, genuinely capturing the look and feel of the first trilogy... great storytelling and it cuts the use of CGI in half, if not more

Also the way it brings back so many great characters and droids from the originals... Jawas, Sand People, the bounty droid and so much more

This should make all the people behind the new movies go kill themselves in shame, because this show is what Star Wars was all about

I Have Spoken.

Bowser 01-09-2021 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 15458286)
Binged the first 5 episodes of season one at a buddies house last night, and now truly get what all the hype is about

Its everything the shitty movies are not, genuinely capturing the look and feel of the first trilogy... great storytelling and it cuts the use of CGI in half, if not more

Also the way it brings back so many great characters and droids from the originals... Jawas, Sand People, the bounty droid and so much more

This should make all the people behind the new movies go kill themselves in shame, because this show is what Star Wars was all about

I Have Spoken.

Who could have guessed putting a pair of guys in charge of a live action Star Wars commodity that are as hardcore fans/nerds when it comes to the story and lore of SW as any of us out there would turn out so absolutely satisfying?

https://media.giphy.com/media/l0Iydl...Lv6U/giphy.gif

Easy 6 01-09-2021 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 15458312)
Who could have guessed putting a pair of guys in charge of a live action Star Wars commodity that are as hardcore fans/nerds when it comes to the story and lore of SW as any of us out there would turn out so absolutely satisfying?

https://media.giphy.com/media/l0Iydl...Lv6U/giphy.gif

It really puts into perspective just how badly the new movies (sans Rogue One) botched it... I don't care how much money they made, they're straight trash by comparison

Bowser 01-09-2021 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 15458334)
It really puts into perspective just how badly the new movies (sans Rogue One) botched it... I don't care how much money they made, they're straight trash by comparison

Rogue One and to a slightly lesser degree Solo were good to great films. The last 45 minutes of Rogue One are arguably some of the best Star Wars ever filmed, and Solo gets better with repeated viewing (for me, anyway).

And we all know why the Mouse Trilogy failed - for the exact opposite reasons The Mandalorian has been a runaway hit, and also KK or her minions weren't allowed creative input, thank goodness.

Frazod 01-09-2021 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 15458343)
Rogue One and to a slightly lesser degree Solo were good to great films. The last 45 minutes of Rogue One are arguably some of the best Star Wars ever filmed, and Solo gets better with repeated viewing (for me, anyway).

And we all know why the Mouse Trilogy failed - for the exact opposite reasons The Mandalorian has been a runaway hit, and also KK or her minions weren't allowed creative input, thank goodness.

Yep. Rogue One and Solo are the best movies since the 80s. As I've said many times before, Solo came the closest to the fun, swashbuckling feel of the original.

mnchiefsguy 01-09-2021 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 15458760)
Yep. Rogue One and Solo are the best movies since the 80s. As I've said many times before, Solo came the closest to the fun, swashbuckling feel of the original.

Solo gets a bad wrap because it came out after the abortion that was The Last Jedi.

If it had come out before TLJ, I think it would have been a big box office hit.

Solo was cool and fun. I am amazed that Ron Howard was able to pull together a good film after all of the shit that went on during production.

Frazod 01-09-2021 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 15458811)
Solo gets a bad wrap because it came out after the abortion that was The Last Jedi.

If it had come out before TLJ, I think it would have been a big box office hit.

Solo was cool and fun. I am amazed that Ron Howard was able to pull together a good film after all of the shit that went on during production.

It's unfortunate that we probably won't ever get a follow-up to Solo. All the ingredients were in place for a very interesting sequel.

mnchiefsguy 01-09-2021 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 15458855)
It's unfortunate that we probably won't ever get a follow-up to Solo. All the ingredients were in place for a very interesting sequel.

Yeah, there were some rumors about a Disney+ sequel.

Now there is a rumor that Han will appear in Mando Season 3---maybe if they use the same actor and it gets a positive response they might reconsider. (I seriously doubt it, but I also seriously doubted Star Wars could ever come back from TLJ, and now Lucasfilm is in a creative civil war and fans have hope.)

DaneMcCloud 01-09-2021 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 15458286)

Everything you see, outside of the practical sets, is VFX.

All of the background and everything you see was filmed inside of "The Volume", which is a massive LED display that encompasses the stage and the actors. When the actors move, the background moves because its controlled by Visual Effects Artists in real time.

It's the most amazing breakthrough in filmmaking since Technicolor and Season 2 is, IMO, lightyears ahead of Season 1 in terms story, acting and VFX.

We're entering the Golden Age of Star Wars.

DaneMcCloud 01-09-2021 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 15458875)

Now there is a rumor that Han will appear in Mando Season 3---maybe if they use the same actor and it gets a positive response they might reconsider. (I seriously doubt it, but I also seriously doubted Star Wars could ever come back from TLJ, and now Lucasfilm is in a creative civil war and fans have hope.)

I haven't heard about Alden Ehrenreich appearing in The Mandalorian at any point but I have heard that it's "likely" that he appears in at least one episode of Lando, which is on track for a late 2022 release.

Easy 6 01-09-2021 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15459700)

All of the background and everything you see was filmed inside of "The Volume", which is a massive LED display that encompasses the stage and the actors. When the actors move, the background moves because its controlled by Visual Effects Artists in real time.

It's the most amazing breakthrough in filmmaking since Technicolor and Season 2 is, IMO, lightyears ahead of Season 1 in terms story, acting and VFX.

We're entering the Golden Age of Star Wars.

I'll definitely take your word on this, but man compared to the movies it sure seems like they make use of VFX a lot less often

Whatever they're doing works though thats for sure, it doesn't have that cheap 2D look anymore... color me impressed

DaneMcCloud 01-09-2021 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 15459795)
I'll definitely take your word on this, but man compared to the movies it sure seems like they make use of VFX a lot less often

Whatever they're doing works though thats for sure, it doesn't have that cheap 2D look anymore... color me impressed

Favreau first used this tech on The Jungle Book, then The Lion King. He was the first to use it on a TV series but now, even Sony has created their own version of The Volume.

Season 1 is great but Season 2 blows it away visually. It's definitely worth $6.99 to watch the entire series along with the "Making Of" documentary called The Gallery, which is extremely insightful.

Plus for me, there's nothing better than watching a Round Table discussion featuring some of the best filmmakers working today.

Easy 6 01-09-2021 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15460148)
Favreau first used this tech on The Jungle Book, then The Lion King. He was the first to use it on a TV series but now, even Sony has created their own version of The Volume.

Season 1 is great but Season 2 blows it away visually. It's definitely worth $6.99 to watch the entire series along with the "Making Of" documentary called The Gallery, which is extremely insightful.

Plus for me, there's nothing better than watching a Round Table discussion featuring some of the best filmmakers working today.

My buddy was definitely hammering me about it last night

"Dude $7 is worth it for this show alone!"

keg in kc 01-09-2021 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 15459795)

Yeah, it's all CGI, but instead of filming in front of a blue or green screen and keying all the effects in, they basically surround the actors with a prerendered projection of the cg environments. It's hella cool.

DaneMcCloud 01-09-2021 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 15460366)
My buddy was definitely hammering me about it last night

"Dude $7 is worth it for this show alone!"

Disney+ is a amazing. It's probably more amazing if you have young kids like me, but it's worth every penny to watch The Mandalorian, every Star Wars movie or documentary ever along with The Clone Wars animated series and Star Wars Rebels. I even enjoy the Lego Star Wars shorts and series because they're very well done and fun.

I've mentioned this a few times but last summer, my kids and I watched every Marvel film in chronological order. We did it every night for 23 straight days and the films are even better when watching them chronology because every little thing and every nuance is still in your head.

It was super cool to see a line of dialog or small plot point come that was first seen or heard in Iron Man or Captain America The First Avenger or the Thor films in Infinity Wars and Endgame, it makes it even all the more fun.

Easy 6 01-09-2021 06:40 PM

Just imagine what the new movies could've been like if Favreau and co had been in charge... it would've been everything we expected

Deberg_1990 01-09-2021 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15460521)
Disney+ is a amazing. It's probably more amazing if you have young kids like me, but it's worth every penny to watch The Mandalorian, every Star Wars movie or documentary ever along with The Clone Wars animated series and Star Wars Rebels. I even enjoy the Lego Star Wars shorts and series because they're very well done and fun.

I've mentioned this a few times but last summer, my kids and I watched every Marvel film in chronological order. We did it every night for 23 straight days and the films are even better when watching them chronology because every little thing and every nuance is still in your head.

It was super cool to see a line of dialog or small plot point come that was first seen or heard in Iron Man or Captain America The First Avenger or the Thor films in Infinity Wars and Endgame, it makes it even all the more fun.

I also enjoy watching the classic back catalog stuff that i grew up on....Like the old Kurt Russell and Dean Jones comedies. Admittedly, alot of that stuff hasnt aged well.

But yes. Disney+ is amazing for the money.

BigRedChief 01-09-2021 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 15458875)

people who had no idea who Bill Burr was loved him in season 1. He got another episode the next season because fans liked the wise cracking character. It was also well received.

Maybe Han could make an appearance and everyone’s reminded how cool he is and we get another Solo movie?

Bowser 01-09-2021 09:53 PM

Just seeing the Millennium Falcon and Slave 1 teaming up for a mission would bring about nerdgasms hitherto unforeseen (Luke appearing the obvious exception).

Hammock Parties 01-09-2021 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 15462220)
Just seeing the Millennium Falcon and Slave 1 teaming up for a mission would bring about nerdgasms hitherto unforeseen (Luke appearing the obvious exception).

too much suspension of disbelief here for me

fett has to rat**** someone at some point

BigRedChief 01-09-2021 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 15462220)

spoiler or speculation for a possible Hans in season 3
Spoiler!

Hammock Parties 01-10-2021 12:30 AM

https://scontent.fmkc1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...0f&oe=601F4F64

lawrenceRaider 01-10-2021 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 15461325)
Just imagine what the new movies could've been like if Favreau and co had been in charge... it would've been everything we expected

Would have been more than we hoped for.

keg in kc 01-15-2021 12:33 PM

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/am...treaming-chart

Finale was the first non-Netflix show to ever top the US streaming charts, with more than 33 million views the week it released (and that's potentially underselling views on devices other than TVs).

Bowser 01-15-2021 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 15477683)

Finale was the first non-Netflix show to ever top the US streaming charts, with more than 33 million views the week it released (and that's potentially underselling views on devices other than TVs).

1.34 billion minutes of viewing time. Wow.

DaneMcCloud 01-15-2021 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 15477683)

What's even crazier is that the first episode didn't air until November 2020.

I'll be really surprised if season 3 of The Mandalorian, which is looking at a January 2022 start date, is the most streamed show of all time that year.

patteeu 01-16-2021 10:04 PM

It took me longer to read this entire thread than it took me to watch the first two seasons, lol. Subscribe.

Jamie 01-16-2021 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15459700)

VFX, but not entirely CG. They used a practical model for most of the space shots of the Razorcrest (and Moff Gideon's cruiser in season 2), and used scanned physical miniatures to create elements that were used in the volume.

BigRedChief 01-17-2021 09:30 AM

The internet is fun

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UHgY7LIiaSM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

keg in kc 01-17-2021 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 15481687)
VFX, but not entirely CG. They used a practical model for most of the space shots of the Razorcrest (and Moff Gideon's cruiser in season 2), and used scanned physical miniatures to create elements that were used in the volume.

That's literally what he said.

Jamie 01-17-2021 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 15485602)
That's literally what he said.

I was more clarifying than disagreeing. Though a practical model isn't the same thing as a practical set.

When you say it's 'all VFX' there's an implication that it's all CG (as in, fake) and the only difference is the use of the volume. That's not the case here, they used physical models and miniatures. Which is very unusual now, to the point that the CCO of ILM had to personally build a new motion control rig from scratch to shoot the ships with.

Fish 01-20-2021 11:05 AM

https://i.imgur.com/Fa5Fnju.jpg

Baby Lee 02-02-2021 12:58 PM

<iframe width="949" height="534" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JApDdCVg6Dw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sure-Oz 02-10-2021 08:46 PM

@AaronCouch: Breaking: Gina Carano is no longer part of the Star Wars galaxy https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...ia-controversy

Gina gone denny mathews voice. This was bound to happen.

@AaronCouch: Lucasfilm statement: "Gina Carano is not currently employed by Lucasfilm and there are no plans for her to be in the future. Nevertheless, her social media posts denigrating people based on their cultural and religious identities are abhorrent and unacceptable." https://twitter.com/AaronCouch/statu...93429882650625

Sure-Oz 02-10-2021 09:00 PM

@AaronCouch: According to sources, Lucasfilm planned to unveil Gina Carano as the star of her own show during December’s investors day. They scrubbed those plans after erratic tweets in November https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...ia-controversy

Archie Bunker 02-10-2021 09:11 PM

She’ll do well in Kirk Cameron films.

Hammock Parties 02-10-2021 09:15 PM

she was a fat bitch

Valiant 02-10-2021 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 15544072)
@AaronCouch: Breaking: Gina Carano is no longer part of the Star Wars galaxy https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...ia-controversy

Gina gone denny mathews voice. This was bound to happen.

@AaronCouch: Lucasfilm statement: "Gina Carano is not currently employed by Lucasfilm and there are no plans for her to be in the future. Nevertheless, her social media posts denigrating people based on their cultural and religious identities are abhorrent and unacceptable." https://twitter.com/AaronCouch/statu...93429882650625

Dumb. This cancel culture keeps pushing.

Frazod 02-10-2021 09:53 PM

Loved her character. Love her. And obviously I agree with her values.

But still....

She knew damn well the climate she existed in. Much like someone else we all know, she should have stayed the hell off twitter. Maybe she thought she was too popular to get whacked. Should have known better.

I'll miss her on the show.

Sure-Oz 02-10-2021 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 15544169)
Dumb. This cancel culture keeps pushing.

She's pretty stupid to say what she said with her employer watching. Her latest statement was ridiculous.

Frazod 02-10-2021 10:01 PM

Yep. I mean, if Roseanne Barr can get fired from the ****ing Roseanne show, no one who doesn't spew socialist koolaid is safe in Hollywood.

Sure-Oz 02-10-2021 10:35 PM

@Borys_Kit: Meanwhile, in other Gina Carano news: UTA has now dropped the #Mandalorian actress.

She's done

Baby Lee 02-10-2021 10:37 PM

https://www.buzzfeed.com/natashajoki...er-transgender

Baby Lee 02-10-2021 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 15544173)

But still....

She knew damn well the climate she existed in. Much like someone else we all know, she should have stayed the hell off twitter. Maybe she thought she was too popular to get whacked. Should have known better.

Every entertainment dollar you spend funds that cancerous climate.

mnchiefsguy 02-10-2021 10:41 PM

****ing stupid...but cancel culture is cancel culture.

She should have known what trouble would be coming. Only lefty liberals get free speech on twitter.

Baby Lee 02-10-2021 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 15544255)
****ing stupid...but cancel culture is cancel culture.

She should have known what trouble would be coming. Only lefty liberals get free speech on twitter.

Such a needy, emotional, narcissistic lot. It's like the worst girlfriend you ever had, except somehow they have squatters rights in your house and you can't move away or just break up.

Just a lifetime of listening to their shit.

KC_Connection 02-10-2021 11:55 PM

Was bound to happen eventually with as much stupid shit as she was putting out there. They probably wanted to cut ties with her before something even worse was said.

The show will be fine without her.

Buehler445 02-11-2021 12:21 AM

That sucks. I really enjoyed her.

What did she tweet (I don't do twitter and I've been busy as ****)?

arrowheadnation 02-11-2021 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 15544318)
That sucks. I really enjoyed her.

What did she tweet (I don't do twitter and I've been busy as ****)?

Carano was fired after sharing a controversial social media post, according to the Hollywood Reporter. The now deleted Instagram story showed a picture of a Jewish woman being persecuted by Nazis and said, "Jews were beaten in the streets, not by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbors … even by children. Because history is edited, most people today don’t realize that to get to the point where Nazi soldiers could easily round up thousands of Jews, the government first made their own neighbors hate them simply for being Jews. How is that any different from hating someone for their political views."

Buehler445 02-11-2021 01:26 AM

That got her shitcanned?

Using pogroms as a simile for political hatred?

Really?

Baby Lee 02-11-2021 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 15544342)
That got her shitcanned?

Using pogroms as a simile for political hatred?

Really?

It's 100% political tribalism.

She 'marginalized' the trans 'community' by listing her pronouns as 'bleep, blop blorp.'

She poked fund at mask and vaccine puritans.

All the shit that makes the left an emotional mess, without being objectively harmful, . . . just 'horrendous' in the parlance of the wokescolds.

I'm torn, . . because since this is how they feel and how radicalized they are in their hearts, I support them going hog wild and balls to the wall with their pogroms, . . . but it takes immense faith in humanity to patiently wait for us to collectively realize how radical and perverse they are and start figuring out how to push back.

Frazod 02-11-2021 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 15544252)

Yep, I'm aware.

I assume this is like most other SJW assassinations - big corporate whatever pandering to people who don't watch their shows or buy their products, while pissing off the people who actually do watch their show and buy their products.

unlurking 02-11-2021 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrowheadnation (Post 15544337)
Carano was fired after sharing a controversial social media post, according to the Hollywood Reporter. The now deleted Instagram story showed a picture of a Jewish woman being persecuted by Nazis and said, "Jews were beaten in the streets, not by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbors … even by children. Because history is edited, most people today don’t realize that to get to the point where Nazi soldiers could easily round up thousands of Jews, the government first made their own neighbors hate them simply for being Jews. How is that any different from hating someone for their political views."

I don't follow social media, so I can only assume based on posts here and this quote that she was attempting to compare those with right leaning beliefs to Jews in Nazi Germany? Wow. While that might be the dumbest victimist idealogy I have ever seen, it doesn't seem to be advocating violence or anything worthy of being fired IMO.

Stupid AF comment though. This whole "I'm a victim" movement needs to stop. I'm trying to imagine a recent more insensitive, whiney, "whoa is me" comment and I just can't think of any. I love Gina, but damn this is stupid. :(

Baby Lee 02-11-2021 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 15544370)
I don't follow social media, so I can only assume based on posts here and this quote that she was attempting to compare those with right leaning beliefs to Jews in Nazi Germany? Wow. While that might be the dumbest victimist idealogy I have ever seen, it doesn't seem to be advocating violence or anything worthy of being fired IMO.

Stupid AF comment though. This whole "I'm a victim" movement needs to stop. I'm trying to imagine a recent more insensitive, whiney, "whoa is me" comment and I just can't think of any. I love Gina, but damn this is stupid. :(

Well firing her certainly disproved her point.

And in case you are missing the point, it's not that being shunned for ideology is THE SAME as the holocaust. It's that these things start with small irrationalities that breed and grow.

The holocaust wasn't nonexistent one day, then in full force the next. It started on an individual interpersonal level, frictions and discomforts causing confrontation, blame being placed, generalizations taking hold, and justifications for ill-treatment cascading into each other as they escalated and escalated.

So as we sit now, what's your position? Is the level of division over differences in perspective merited? Should it escalate? Is it non-existent? Is it something to ignore? What?

unlurking 02-11-2021 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 15544372)
Well firing her certainly disproved her point.

And in case you are missing the point, it's not that being shunned for ideology is THE SAME as the holocaust. It's that these things start with small irrationalities that breed and grow.

The holocaust wasn't nonexistent one day, then in full force the next. It started on an individual interpersonal level, frictions and discomforts causing confrontation, blame being placed, generalizations taking hold, and justifications for ill-treatment cascading into each other as they escalated and escalated.

So as we sit now, what's your position? Is the level of division over differences in perspective merited? Should it escalate? Is it non-existent? Is it something to ignore? What?

This thread has diverged pretty deep into DC territory IMO, but I'll answer your question and then drop out of non-show discussion. You're not going to like my position and I really don't want to get dragged into a political fight. As I said though, I don't believe that single post (I have no idea what else she may have posted) should result in her being fired.

As to the content of the post, I disagree with it wholeheartedly. It is a bastardization of the "First they came..." poem to fit a movement that is closer to that of the racial purity movement of Nazism than the victims and regret of "do nothing" bystanders it was meant to represent. Much the same way that anti-fascism views are now portrayed as being terroristic. I still don't understand how that came about.

For the first time in my life I voted Democrat. I've bounced between the conservative views of my youth in the 80's and the "just leave me alone" libertarian views of the early 2000s. None of those views are represented in the current GOP today. If a 40 year history of conservative voting makes me a RINO, then I guess I want nothing to do with this current party. Trumpism already "cancelled" me, so I won't shed a tear if its proponents receive the same treatment.

So yeah, my position is not going to be popular with either side of the aisle.

notorious 02-11-2021 07:29 AM

Carano is not a good actress. It would have been a disaster having her as the lead in any show.

Baby Lee 02-11-2021 07:36 AM

The poem itself is a rhetorical summation of a perspective.
I disagree with the notion that applying that perspective in novel situations is a 'bastardization,' certainly if it's based on the identity of the people applying it rather than the merit of the application.
And even if it is, whatever subjective gravity and consequence you grant 'bastardization,' labeling it 'dumbest victim ideology' can't help but rebound on the original summation encapsulated in the poem itself.

I get that you disagree with her being fired, and I appreciate it, but I disagree with the hyperbolic characterization of the nature of her posts, particularly as it seems more on your inferences regarding the identity of people being championed by her posts than the merits of the observations themselves.

____

Truth be told, I have and have long had severe reservations about the entire industry of short homilies like the poem in question being transformed into some universal mandate. In the case of the sentiments of the poem I've always silently wondered 'what if they "come for" someone for good reason?' Or 'what if what you call 'coming for' is just criticism or rebuke?' I know people on the other side understand this conundrum, because they make the same arguments that 'cancel culture is just consequences,' and 'free speech doesn't mean freedom from consequence.' But they seem to dogmatically apply these 'lessons' when it's what they want to do anyway, and disregard them without compunction when they don't care or even support the consequences.

lawrenceRaider 02-11-2021 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 15544391)
Carano is not a good actress. It would have been a disaster having her as the lead in any show.

She has limited range for sure. Perfect for the role here though.

unlurking 02-11-2021 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 15544393)
The poem itself is a rhetorical summation of a perspective.
I disagree with the notion that applying that perspective in novel situations is a 'bastardization,' certainly if it's based on the identity of the people applying it rather than the merit of the application.
And even if it is, whatever subjective gravity and consequence you grant 'bastardization,' labeling it 'dumbest victim ideology' can't help but rebound on the original summation encapsulated in the poem itself.

I get that you disagree with her being fired, and I appreciate it, but I disagree with the hyperbolic characterization of the nature of her posts, particularly as it seems more on your inferences regarding the identity of people being championed by her posts than the merits of the observations themselves.

____

Truth be told, I have and have long had severe reservations about the entire industry of short homilies like the poem in question being transformed into some universal mandate. In the case of the sentiments of the poem I've always silently wondered 'what if they "come for" someone for good reason?' Or 'what if what you call 'coming for' is just criticism or rebuke?' I know people on the other side understand this conundrum, because they make the same arguments that 'cancel culture is just consequences,' and 'free speech doesn't mean freedom from consequence.' But they seem to dogmatically apply these 'lessons' when it's what they want to do anyway, and disregard them without compunction when they don't care or even support the consequences.

Not going to argue or disagree with your points, just wanted to point out that the poem is not rhetorical in any way. It was written by a German pastor who supported the rise of Hitler and later came to regret that choice. That perspective probably sharpened after being imprisoned in Dachau for speaking against the Nazi "progrom". Another word that seems to be losing its meaning as it's twisted for use by the current Trumpist victim culture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_came_...

Ugh. I did not want to have this discussion and should have stuck to my guns and just held my tongue. Please, I leave the last word to you and cancel myself. I don't like myself when I get pissy about politics. :(

unlurking 02-11-2021 08:01 AM

OK, last post on the topic, I promise. Just thought it probably relevant to include the actual post and image it included. Personally, I can see why she deleted it and why it triggered people.

https://uploads.dailydot.com/2021/02...2&wpsize=large

Baby Lee 02-11-2021 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 15544403)
Not going to argue or disagree with your points, just wanted to point out that the poem is not rhetorical in any way. It was written by a German pastor who supported the rise of Hitler and later came to regret that choice. That perspective probably sharpened after being imprisoned in Dachau for speaking against the Nazi "progrom". Another word that seems to be losing its meaning as it's twisted for use by the current Trumpist victim culture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_came_...

Ugh. I did not want to have this discussion and should have stuck to my guns and just held my tongue. Please, I leave the last word to you and cancel myself. I don't like myself when I get pissy about politics. :(

Really not trying to extend the argument, but there isn't a fiber in my being that will alow me to ignore the 'rhetorical' part.

I'm sensing you have an inferential impression of rhetoric that is unmerited.

Rhetoric is the attempt to be persuasive through language. At it's base, nothing more. It seems that you are appending disreputable sub-strategies and methods, such as sophistry or sloganeering, which was not my intent in using the term.

The poem absolutely is a rhetorical summation. The pastor was explicitly and passionately attempting to put his perspective into a memorable and affecting set of words for persuasive purposes.

Even in critiquing the rhetoric, it's not so much the initial impulse to express the sentiment, or the manner in which he did so. The critique I expressed above is that many people don't think fully through the lesson of the poem itself and apply it dogmatically and unthinkingly. That's a fault of the audience, not the author.

BigRedChief 02-11-2021 08:25 AM

A Bill Burr spinoff would be more interesting and entertaining than whatever they were developing with her. Imagine the cool shit, situations that the writers could have him dropped into.

Dallas Chief 02-11-2021 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 15544173)

But still....

I won't miss her because we cancelled Disney+, ESPN+, and Hulu today. I'm sick of this bullshit. They won't care, but I do and that's all that matters to me. The only way to stop this shit is to not feed it, and you feed it by giving them your money.

Fish 02-11-2021 08:44 AM

Meh. She was a really shitty actress. The only reason she's there is because she's a giant beast of a woman.

Dallas Chief 02-11-2021 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 15544111)
she was a fat bitch

And yet still far and away out of your league. Sad.

Dallas Chief 02-11-2021 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 15544412)
OK, last post on the topic, I promise. Just thought it probably relevant to include the actual post and image it included. Personally, I can see why she deleted it and why it triggered people.

https://uploads.dailydot.com/2021/02...2&wpsize=large

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Disney+ must immediately fire any actor who has made an overwrought Holocaust comparison <a href="https://t.co/kPO81Qf38X">pic.twitter.com/kPO81Qf38X</a></p>&mdash; Ben Shapiro (@benshapiro) <a href="https://twitter.com/benshapiro/status/1359833571075227648?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 11, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

KC_Lee 02-11-2021 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dallas Chief (Post 15544440)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Disney+ must immediately fire any actor who has made an overwrought Holocaust comparison <a href="https://t.co/kPO81Qf38X">pic.twitter.com/kPO81Qf38X</a></p>&mdash; Ben Shapiro (@benshapiro) <a href="https://twitter.com/benshapiro/status/1359833571075227648?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 11, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

What's worse is that the "America" image is from Hebron.

A soup kitchen in Hebron.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">This is a picture of Palestinian children in a soup kitchen in Hebron. In the last couple of days people are sharing a cropped version of this claiming its from an American/Israeli prison. <br>Whatever your argument is, the minute you base it on a lie, you&#39;re a demagogue <a href="https://t.co/MwxOUr7KA4">pic.twitter.com/MwxOUr7KA4</a></p>&mdash; Avihai Stollar (@AvihaiStollar) <a href="https://twitter.com/AvihaiStollar/status/1010264887933665282?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 22, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Baby Lee 02-11-2021 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dallas Chief (Post 15544440)

That's different, it's complicated and nuanced. If you don't understand the difference, I don't have time to explain . . . Shut UP!!

BigBeauford 02-11-2021 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 15544456)
That's different, it's complicated and nuanced. If you don't understand the difference, I don't have time to explain . . . Shut UP!!

Yup, pretty dumb of Pedro. On the other hand, Carano has been in the crosshairs for like 2 years. Like in business, you aren't going to fire your allstar employee after 1 transgression. The employee who keeps eating other people's lunches and being late to work won't have the same leeway.

Dallas Chief 02-11-2021 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Lee (Post 15544452)
What's worse is that the "America" image is from Hebron.

A soup kitchen in Hebron.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">This is a picture of Palestinian children in a soup kitchen in Hebron. In the last couple of days people are sharing a cropped version of this claiming its from an American/Israeli prison. <br>Whatever your argument is, the minute you base it on a lie, you&#39;re a demagogue <a href="https://t.co/MwxOUr7KA4">pic.twitter.com/MwxOUr7KA4</a></p>&mdash; Avihai Stollar (@AvihaiStollar) <a href="https://twitter.com/AvihaiStollar/status/1010264887933665282?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 22, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Holy Shit!!!!!

Baby Lee 02-11-2021 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford (Post 15544467)
Yup, pretty dumb of Pedro. On the other hand, Carano has been in the crosshairs for like 2 years. Like in business, you aren't going to fire your allstar employee after 1 transgression. The employee who keeps eating other people's lunches and being late to work won't have the same leeway.

All fine, so long as we're clear that it's about cutthroat partisanship and the disposability of some people, and not some moral stance.

BigBeauford 02-11-2021 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 15544478)
All fine, so long as we're clear that it's about cutthroat partisanship and the disposability of some people, and not some moral stance.

Yes; her brand of politics ultimately got her fired.

Dallas Chief 02-11-2021 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 15544478)

Time is a flat circle and everything eventually comes back around again. It is only be a matter of time.

Dallas Chief 02-11-2021 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford (Post 15544495)
Yes; her brand of politics ultimately got her fired.

Very blacklist-ish of them. Funny how they've become something they despised.

BigBeauford 02-11-2021 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dallas Chief (Post 15544502)
Very blacklist-ish of them. Funny how they've become something they despised.

MAGA politics do not play well with people engaging heavily with social media, news at 11.

Disclaimer: I think we can agree there is no way to avoid talking politics wrt to Carano's firing.

lawrenceRaider 02-11-2021 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford (Post 15544513)
MAGA politics do not play well with people engaging heavily with social media, news at 11.

Disclaimer: I think we can agree there is no way to avoid talking politics wrt to Carano's firing.

It shouldn't be legal to be fired for political views if it is illegal to be fired for sexual orientation or gender identity.

BigBeauford 02-11-2021 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 15544523)
It shouldn't be legal to be fired for political views if it is illegal to be fired for sexual orientation or gender identity.

I agree with you. Perhaps folks opposed to granting protections to marginalized groups now see the importance of doing so when the shoe is on the other foot.

Dallas Chief 02-11-2021 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford (Post 15544532)
I agree with you. Perhaps folks opposed to granting protections to marginalized groups now see the importance of doing so when the shoe is on the other foot.

Oh, people are being taught a lesson. How clever.

BigRichard 02-11-2021 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 15544252)

Exactly... it is just amazing that people continue to buy products that allow this to happen. We get that "Oh well, they knew what they were getting into.".