ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News 17 dead after duck boat capsizes on Table Rock Lake (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=316341)

KChiefs1 07-23-2018 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 13640352)
Well take away the 17 that just happened and that leaves 23 since 1999. That's 1.2 deaths per year until now. They're hardly floating death.
Posted via Mobile Device

Safer than planes, trains & automobiles.

KChiefs1 07-23-2018 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flying High D (Post 13640386)
Former NTSB Chairman James Hall said Saturday that the boat’s design makes the World War II-era vessels prone to the kind of accidents that led to the Thursday’s sinking. Hall said the amphibious vessel should be banned from such use.

I might side with James Hall on this argument.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...f1d_story.html

Overreact much?

Flying High D 07-23-2018 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 13641164)
Overreact much?

Out of curiosity, what is your experience with amphibious vehicles?

Why Not? 07-23-2018 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 13641162)
Safer than planes, trains & automobiles.

Not an applicable comparison. Millions if not billions of people drive and/or fly on a regular basis, versus whatever the comparably minuscule number of duck boat riders are. Also, flying a commercial airlines within the USA is literally the safest way to move any distance in the world. You are at a greater risk while walking along an even semi busy road, let alone riding a duck boat.

KChiefs1 07-23-2018 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flying High D (Post 13641168)
Out of curiosity, what is your experience with amphibious vehicles?

As much as yours.

Flying High D 07-23-2018 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 13641247)
As much as yours.

Now, we have common ground. Which mobile assault bridge units did you serve with and what years?

KChiefs1 07-24-2018 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flying High D (Post 13641268)
Now, we have common ground. Which mobile assault bridge units did you serve with and what years?

First of the First from 1980-82.

Flying High D 07-24-2018 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 13641615)
First of the First from 1980-82.

Need more detail

luv 07-24-2018 10:25 AM

Why do I get the feeling this is about to become a dick measuring contest? What's the point? Are you trying to prove that your opinion is more valid than someone else's based on your personal experience with duck boats?

Bugeater 07-24-2018 10:30 AM

That idiot needs to be removed from the thread. Or better yet, the entire board.

SAUTO 07-24-2018 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 13641708)
That idiot needs to be removed from the thread. .

done

cooper barrett 07-25-2018 07:34 AM

After Tuesday "chime in" by Claire (the witch) McCaskill one would have to think that we should all breath easier knowing she is committed to addressing the safety of Duck boats on a federal level.

In response to the former owner who stretched the Duck boats, who had no engineering background, I would say that most modified vehicles on the road were also modified by people with no engineering background. where do you think the Toyota 4Runner, stretch limos, and lift kits come from? Certainly not engineers.

Because the Duck boats didn't have bumpers and the side marker lighting being a few inches from proper (retrofit) doesn't bother me. I dououst not being routed behind the vehicle caused it to sink, hit motorcycles or pedestrians or tour buses.

The biggest question still seems to be: Was the boat told to go into the water or was it a decision made on board?

I really think that the Ntsb will shed some light on this but while it's popular everyone, the "witch" included want to chime in. One got on her broom Tuesday on the Senate floor.

luv 07-25-2018 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13643210)
After Tuesday "chime in" by Claire (the witch) McCaskill one would have to think that we should all breath easier knowing she is committed to addressing the safety of Duck boats on a federal level.

In response to the former owner who stretched the Duck boats, who had no engineering background, I would say that most modified vehicles on the road were also modified by people with no engineering background. where do you think the Toyota 4Runner, stretch limos, and lift kits come from? Certainly not engineers.

Because the Duck boats didn't have bumpers and the side marker lighting being a few inches from proper (retrofit) doesn't bother me. I dououst not being routed behind the vehicle caused it to sink, hit motorcycles or pedestrians or tour buses.

The biggest question still seems to be: Was the boat told to go into the water or was it a decision made on board?

I really think that the Ntsb will shed some light on this but while it's popular everyone, the "witch" included want to chime in. One got on her broom Tuesday on the Senate floor.

Roy Blunt also put out a statement. Got any nasty names for him?

TribalElder 07-25-2018 07:38 AM

The problem was the decision to drive
Out on the lake

Now everyone is an armchair expert on duck boats LMAO

Sure shitty design but they never should have hit the water that day

KChiefs1 07-25-2018 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 13643214)
The problem was the decision to drive
Out on the lake

Now everyone is an armchair expert on duck boats LMAO

Sure shitty design but they never should have hit the water that day

Exactly.

Bad decision making was the reason for the tragedy.