ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs *****The Jared Wiley Thread***** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=353245)

Dunerdr 04-27-2024 03:15 PM

God damn I love this pick. Had him in my pick 3 game as a 3rd rounder I believe because he had been moving up the boards.

Smed1065 04-27-2024 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 17500622)
He’s a first ballot hall of famer!!!!

Every pick is! :p

Smed1065 04-27-2024 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsFanatic (Post 17500771)
This is weird. I don't ever remember any draft where 3 of my guys get picked out of the first four. And, the other pick is amazing.

All on you now... :)

BWillie 04-27-2024 03:30 PM

This dude gonna be ****in the shit outta Olivia Rodrigo by 2037.

dirk digler 04-27-2024 04:10 PM

I thought the same thing watching that first clip.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-media-max-width="560"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The first clip is like watching a Kelce clone. This draft rocks. <a href="https://t.co/oD6WUn4YzK">pic.twitter.com/oD6WUn4YzK</a></p>&mdash; Chandler (@_chandler_____) <a href="https://twitter.com/_chandler_____/status/1784279086270923073?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 27, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Dunerdr 04-27-2024 05:06 PM

There’s just some kelce style in there with the hands catches and wiggle.

Rausch 04-27-2024 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunerdr (Post 17501578)
There’s just some kelce style in there with the hands catches and wiggle.

Yup, there's a lot they look similar at.

Of course he's not the athlete Kelce is but he can do a lot of the same things.

Dunerdr 04-27-2024 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 17501583)
Yup, there's a lot they look similar at.

Of course he's not the athlete Kelce is but he can do a lot of the same things.

I bet he’s not that athletically different than where Kelce been the last few years. Hoping he’s prime Kelce is ridiculous but if he can backfill 65-70% post retirement it’s a home run.

chiefzilla1501 04-27-2024 05:20 PM

I mean this is just incredible

Even when healthy I don't think fortson is it
And I love gray but he's not a future TE1 and he's just a good enough TE2

Just a tremendous pick. Great spot to take a TE2 floor with TE1 ceiling

TheGuardian 04-28-2024 11:30 AM

I was wondering if it was just me but apparently most do agree that he moves and runs and is similar to Trav in a lot of ways.

nychief 04-28-2024 11:34 AM

I assume his main roll is going to be blocking this up coming season, he's replacing Belldozer.

RealSNR 04-28-2024 11:37 AM

He's gonna get a few 1000 yard seasons. Maybe not as many as Kelce, but he's gonna get a couple.

And the league is going to crrrrryyyyy

Wallymo 04-28-2024 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17500731)
I'm just glad we haven't fallen into this trap of pretending that 6'3" tight ends are going to be difference makers. Those are slow WRs.

Give me that 6'6" frame with loose hips. Teach the rest.

I can't pretend to be any kind of expert, but the quote by Matt Miller that Wiley "understand[s] spacing and timing" is what intrigues me. That understanding of spacing and timing is Kelce's secret sauce. How many opposing fans have yelled in frustration because Kelce is always somehow wide open?

If Wiley has the physical profile (I have faith in DJ's nut on this point), and understands how to get open, that's a damn good pick. That's my brilliant analysis for the day.

Dunerdr 04-28-2024 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallymo (Post 17502552)
I can't pretend to be any kind of expert, but the quote by Matt Miller that Wiley "understand[s] spacing and timing" is what intrigues me. That understanding of spacing and timing is Kelce's secret sauce. How many opposing fans have yelled in frustration because Kelce is always somehow wide open?

If Wiley has the physical profile (I have faith in DJ's nut on this point), and understands how to get open, that's a damn good pick. That's my brilliant analysis for the day.

Ex QB he should understand some things. Can’t wait to see him develop.

DJ's left nut 04-28-2024 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGuardian (Post 17502444)
I was wondering if it was just me but apparently most do agree that he moves and runs and is similar to Trav in a lot of ways.

He's stiffer. Feet are heavier. Seems to have some of the same ideas but not quite as much fluidity.

But at that size, who does? It's just a level of grace that doesn't make sense at 6'5".

But Wiley is close enough to be starting caliber long term, IMO.

And unlike the trend you're seeing with Kincaid, Bowers, McBride, etc - he has the size that requires you respect his physicality on the field. You can't just go nickel when he's out there because he'll block a slot corner into the core of the earth. You might be able to do a 3 safety set and be fine, but really you should probably hang in base with a guy like that.

THATS where the mismatches come from. Not by sending some 6'3" and 235 lb guy who runs an 4.65 against a NCB.

DenverChief 04-28-2024 01:24 PM

I just saw this guy is 6 foot 7 inches tall. Lawd he a big boy.

Easy 6 04-28-2024 01:25 PM

Quote:

You may not be an expert, but you're not wrong

They have a very similar look on the move, and their RAS scores are almost identical... this dude has a great chance of being the heir apparent

smithandrew051 04-28-2024 01:28 PM

Guys like this always surprise me when they aren’t all that productive as receivers in college.

Like how do you not force feed a guy that big and fast in college?

PatMahomesIsGod 04-28-2024 01:33 PM

Quote:

Stop, I can only get so erect.

TheGuardian 04-28-2024 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17502570)
He's stiffer. Feet are heavier. Seems to have some of the same ideas but not quite as much fluidity.

But at that size, who does? It's just a level of grace that doesn't make sense at 6'5".

And unlike the trend you're seeing with Kincaid, Bowers, McBride, etc - he has the size that requires you respect his physicality on the field. You can't just go nickel when he's out there because he'll block a slot corner into the core of the earth. You might be able to do a 3 safety set and be fine, but really you should probably hang in base with a guy like that.

THATS where the mismatches come from. Not by sending some 6'3" and 235 lb guy who runs an 4.65 against a NCB.

You articulated that well, couldn't quite put my finger on it but he's almost like a stiffer version of Trav. Trav has such a smooth way he runs and transitions into movements that it's hard to describe. This guy is SIMILAR but as you said, a bit more heavy footed and stiff in his motions compared to him.

But the similaries are there.

BWillie 04-28-2024 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 17502574)
Guys like this always surprise me when they aren’t all that productive as receivers in college.

Its alot easier for WRs to get big plays down field in college. I dunno thats one theory

DRM08 04-28-2024 03:18 PM

Quote:

The QB background has been a huge part of Kelce’s success. Hopefully this new kid is able to learn a lot from Travis and build himself into a legit weapon for Mahomes.

philfree 04-28-2024 03:20 PM

I keep thinking about Kelce and Wiley in 12 personnel with Brown and Worthy on the field with them.

Dante84 04-28-2024 05:04 PM

From Ledyard: Wiley dropped only 1 pass his entire college career.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GMQ859-W...ng&name=medium

In58men 04-28-2024 08:43 PM

Does he have a legit shot at taking the #2 spot, barring injuries.

smithandrew051 04-28-2024 09:12 PM

Do we have a TCU fan on this board?

I’d love to hear their take.

dlphg9 04-28-2024 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17502570)

So glad the Raiders took Bowers. He's so overrated that it is ridiculous.

staylor26 04-28-2024 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 17503002)
So glad the Raiders took Bowers. He's so overrated that it is ridiculous.

It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't take Mayer early in the 2nd last year.

JPH83 04-28-2024 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGuardian (Post 17502633)
You articulated that well, couldn't quite put my finger on it but he's almost like a stiffer version of Trav. Trav has such a smooth way he runs and transitions into movements that it's hard to describe. This guy is SIMILAR but as you said, a bit more heavy footed and stiff in his motions compared to him.

He's MUCH more linear imo. He's going to catch the ball and get upfield. He's not going to shake people the way Kelce does, and his balance after contact isn't the same. But Kelce is a unicorn. What this guy can do is going to be plenty useful enough and should be a big upgrade on Fortson and Bell.

ChiefsCountry 04-28-2024 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 17502995)
Do we have a TCU fan on this board?

I’d love to hear their take.

Old Spice boy is gone

crispystl 04-29-2024 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 17502574)

Especially short targets to the TE with some of the mediocre college QBs

ForeverChiefs58 04-29-2024 05:36 AM

There was so much to love about this draft, and this was one of my favorite picks.

Blake Bell is done, Noah Gray and Irv Smith are both FA after this season.

And he was one of the very best in this TE class. Awesome pick!

DJ's left nut 04-29-2024 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGuardian (Post 17502633)

Yeah - it took me a second to figure it out as well.

Like you, I thought he looked similar but...less. And I wasn't sure why. Then I think it was the play where he actually scored a TD on a drag lookin' route he turned upfield and then powered through a guy at the goal line to score.

His mechanics as he made the turn and then got upfield were just more deliberate. It looked good, but not second nature.

What's amazing about Kelce is how big he is. You never realize it because he doesn't move like it at all.

This guy moves like a very graceful big guy. Kelce moves like a WR so you lose track of the fact that he's damn near 6'6" and a massive human being. Watching Wiley, I can tell that he's big and it's because he has to take a little extra time to get that mass moving.

DJ's left nut 04-29-2024 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In58men (Post 17502970)
Does he have a legit shot at taking the #2 spot, barring injuries.

I think so.

I'd be a little wary of putting a lot of stock in the 40 time, though - guy has giraffe legs. He can probably haul ass in the open field but he's gonna take a little more time to get there.

Gray has really developed a fair bit in that TE2 role so he won't be super easy to knock out. And Smith has a ton of talent, so he's likely to be the first guy to get a shot at TE2 if Gray falters a bit.

It's going to be a TOUGH sledding for Wiley to get into that spot. But it's doable. He just needs to learn to get down behind his pads a little bit and get that center of gravity lower to help him move a little better in smaller spaces.

DJ's left nut 04-29-2024 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 17503028)
It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't take Mayer early in the 2nd last year.

The Chargers and Raiders both have genuinely good players at maybe 4 positions on the field and both took guys that play that position with their first round picks.

The Alt thing just blows my mind. Again - damn good player. Gonna be a starter there for 10 years. But man, you have Slater and a shot at Nabers and you took a guy who's either going to play RT or end up moving your pro bowl caliber LT over to the right side.

It's just braindead, IMO.

RunKC 04-29-2024 01:00 PM

Only 1 career drop in college. Wow

Also this was interesting. 7.5 YAC average for Worthy. 6.5 YAC for Wiley.

Only negative about this kid is, like Kelce, he’s an older prospect turning 24 this fall.

dirk digler 04-29-2024 01:54 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Chiefs</a> GM Brett Veach on TE Jared Wiley: &quot;These combo tight ends are hard to find. . . He&#39;s a big kid, former quarterback, athletic, can run. A guy who can certainly hold up in-line and will get better as a blocker.&quot;</p>&mdash; Charles Goldman (@goldmctNFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/goldmctNFL/status/1785033853540708747?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 29, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Chiefs</a> GM Brett Veach mentioned that TE Jared Wiley is &quot;interchangeable&quot; with TEs Travis Kelce and Noah Gray. Sounds as if finding a player who could spell both at times was the goal.</p>&mdash; Charles Goldman (@goldmctNFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/goldmctNFL/status/1785034277819748453?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 29, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

DJ's left nut 04-29-2024 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 17503608)
Only 1 career drop in college. Wow

Also this was interesting. 7.5 YAC average for Worthy. 6.5 YAC for Wiley.

Only negative about this kid is, like Kelce, he’s an older prospect turning 24 this fall.

That may be the thing that reminds me most about Kelce with him.

It's not the movement skills - it's that he attacks the ball with his hands. He's a real natural hands catcher.

I wonder if that's not fooling a few others as well. "He looks like Kelce and I can't quite figure out why..."

Watch the clips with that in mind and I think that may be what you're seeing.

Dunerdr 04-29-2024 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17503703)
That may be the thing that reminds me most about Kelce with him.

It's not the movement skills - it's that he attacks the ball with his hands. He's a real natural hands catcher.

I wonder if that's not fooling a few others as well. "He looks like Kelce and I can't quite figure out why..."

Watch the clips with that in mind and I think that may be what you're seeing.

He really snatches the ball out of the air. He doesn't wait for it to hit his hands or body his hands and arms are actively moving to the ball. Could be a contested catch monster in the red zone with his size and hands.

raybec 4 04-29-2024 02:03 PM

I am pretty excited for this kid. I feel like he can easily be the #2 tight end by end of season.

Dunerdr 04-29-2024 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 17503715)
I am pretty excited for this kid. I feel like he can easily be the #2 tight end by end of season.

I don't want to get my hopes up. The playbook is a lot to digest. If he got some red zone packages and improved on his blocking a little that would be a win and enough to project him to TE2 in year 2.

JPH83 04-29-2024 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunerdr (Post 17503722)
I don't want to get my hopes up. The playbook is a lot to digest. If he got some red zone packages and improved on his blocking a little that would be a win and enough to project him to TE2 in year 2.

I think this is realistic. It won't happen straight away, but he can still have a big impact

SAGA45 04-29-2024 03:40 PM

My only gripe with Wiley is that I wish he was a lot more physical and weaponized his 6-6 250lb frame more often, especially when 1-on-1 against db's, choosing to go through em for more yards vs stepping out of bounds.

That's one area where he and Kelce differ. Though Kelce doesn't SEEK to punish (ie Gronk) he will go through you if you're the only path to a bigger gain and/or a score.

But that's it. Other than that, I love the selection!

InChiefsHeaven 04-29-2024 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAGA45 (Post 17503855)
My only gripe with Wiley is that I wish he was a lot more physical and weaponized his 6-6 250lb frame more often, especially when 1-on-1 against db's, choosing to go through em for more yards vs stepping out of bounds.

That's one area where he and Kelce differ. Though Kelce doesn't SEEK to punish (ie Gronk) he will go through you if you're the only path to a bigger gain and/or a score.

Indeed. But if he were all those things, he does not fall to the Chiefs. We'll train him up...

SAGA45 04-29-2024 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHeaven (Post 17503866)
Indeed. But if he were all those things, he does not fall to the Chiefs. We'll train him up...

True. True indeed.

Kiimo 04-29-2024 04:03 PM

Put him in that Deadpool torture pod until he mutates

ForeverChiefs58 04-30-2024 09:07 AM

New Chiefs TE Jared Wiley was a high school QB who threw passes to Chargers WR Quentin Johnston.

They’d both go on to play for a National Championship together at TCU before both getting drafted.

Dunerdr 04-30-2024 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAGA45 (Post 17503855)

He's still a pretty fresh convert. He only got two years of real play time not counting his time at Texas where he barely played. He time left to learn it.

BWillie 04-30-2024 10:48 AM

The absolute best thing about this is we dont have to watch Blake Bell **** everything up anymore.

PatMahomesIsGod 04-30-2024 11:22 AM

Gray, Irv, and Wiley are probs the best TE room we’ve had behind Killa Trav.

el borracho 04-30-2024 12:03 PM

I bet this guy totally gets the road runner in his rookie year.

JohnnyHammersticks 04-30-2024 04:29 PM

Kelce
Irv Smith Jr
Wiley
Noah Gray

Gonna be a competitive TE room this season.

Sofa King 04-30-2024 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks (Post 17505254)
Kelce
Irv Smith Jr
Wiley
Noah Gray

Gonna be a competitive TE room this season.

Hopefully they play the kid a bunch and get him up to speed fast. Don't want to see them waste time on Smith Jr.

staylor26 05-01-2024 01:38 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Jared Wiley making crazy catches like this at the Senior Bowl! 🔥<a href="https://t.co/k72VLsqhOm">pic.twitter.com/k72VLsqhOm</a></p>&mdash; Brad Henson Productions (@BradHensonPro) <a href="https://twitter.com/BradHensonPro/status/1784940850545332544?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 29, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Dunerdr 05-01-2024 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 17506347)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Jared Wiley making crazy catches like this at the Senior Bowl! 🔥<a href="https://t.co/k72VLsqhOm">pic.twitter.com/k72VLsqhOm</a></p>&mdash; Brad Henson Productions (@BradHensonPro) <a href="https://twitter.com/BradHensonPro/status/1784940850545332544?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 29, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Those hands though. I just know this guys going to out perform J'tavion Sanders.

JPH83 05-01-2024 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofa King (Post 17505292)
Hopefully they play the kid a bunch and get him up to speed fast. Don't want to see them waste time on Smith Jr.

It's possibly me being wildly optimistic, but i could see Smith being a sneaky good signing. I get we want Wiley to get snaps, but man Smith has shown he can do it at this level when healthy

staylor26 05-02-2024 01:27 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Travis said on his podcast that Jared Wiley was working out in Texas at “Camp Mahomes” prior to the draft.</p>&mdash; Zack Eisen (@zackeisen21) <a href="https://twitter.com/zackeisen21/status/1785827355015200963?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 2, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

crispystl 05-02-2024 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 17506942)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Travis said on his podcast that Jared Wiley was working out in Texas at “Camp Mahomes” prior to the draft.</p>&mdash; Zack Eisen (@zackeisen21) <a href="https://twitter.com/zackeisen21/status/1785827355015200963?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 2, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Oh nice!

MVChiefFan 05-02-2024 06:08 AM

It’s great that Mahomes puts on his own pro days with guys we’re interested in. What a life we’re living!

Bl00dyBizkitz 05-02-2024 06:21 AM

Camp Mahomes is a real thing. I love it.

Kiimo 05-02-2024 11:18 AM

If you aren't going in the top half of the first round you'd be an absolute dolt not to ask for an invite to Camp Mahomes.

DJ's left nut 05-02-2024 11:26 AM

Quote:

I do kinda wonder if they invite guys they intend to strongly consider or if some of these guys end up strongly considered BECAUSE they excelled after an invite.

I mean...it seems mostly to be a proximity thing. Mahomes is close, you're in the draft...swing on by.

So do these guys go there at a 5 on the 'likely to be drafted' meter and work themselves up to an 8? Or are they all walking in at 0 because they just happened to be close to where Mahomes was working out and then they end up forcing themselves into the discussion.

Shortened: How predictive is the invite list for Camp Mahomes?

JohnnyHammersticks 05-02-2024 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofa King (Post 17505292)

Irv Smith Jr. is a solid player. His only issue has been injuries.

Warpaint69 05-02-2024 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks (Post 17507362)
Irv Smith Jr. is a solid player. His only issue has been injuries.

I think they're going to have to carry 4 TE's as much success as they've had running the 12 personnel. One injury starts leaving them thin especially with a rookie and a vet new to the offense.

Wisconsin_Chief 05-02-2024 11:57 AM

So it looks like this dude's thread has more play recently than just about all of our rookies, what's up with that?

I'll assume he's a future HOFer, like all our players picked on day 3 of Bart Varch's drafts.

Dunerdr 05-02-2024 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warpaint69 (Post 17507383)
I think they're going to have to carry 4 TE's as much success as they've had running the 12 personnel. One injury starts leaving them thin especially with a rookie and a vet new to the offense.

A tight end has taken the full backs spot.

Bowser 05-02-2024 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunerdr (Post 17507407)
A tight end has taken the full backs spot.

Noah Gray seems to be the leading candidate for that role this season.

philfree 05-02-2024 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17507348)
I do kinda wonder if they invite guys they intend to strongly consider or if some of these guys end up strongly considered BECAUSE they excelled after an invite.

I mean...it seems mostly to be a proximity thing. Mahomes is close, you're in the draft...swing on by.

So do these guys go there at a 5 on the 'likely to be drafted' meter and work themselves up to an 8? Or are they all walking in at 0 because they just happened to be close to where Mahomes was working out and then they end up forcing themselves into the discussion.

Seems like with Mahomes being from Texas the Chiefs have developed a Texas connection the last couple of years. I'm going to say Mahomes keeps track of his alma mater and their competition as well as he probably knows the kids coming up from the high schools and where they end up going to school.

Hayneplane 05-02-2024 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVChiefFan (Post 17506968)
It’s great that Mahomes puts on his own pro days with guys we’re interested in. What a life we’re living!

Most of the elite QBs just turn up when required. Our guy is not only the best of the best talent wise but also fully locked in to improve the organisation and the roster from 1-90. A beast mindset that we are so very lucky to have a guy with greatness in both talent and mindset.

Dunerdr 05-02-2024 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wisconsin_Chief (Post 17507404)
So it looks like this dude's thread has more play recently than just about all of our rookies, what's up with that?

I'll assume he's a future HOFer, like all our players picked on day 3 of Bart Varch's drafts.

This thread > Brittany Griner thread.

Pitt Gorilla 05-02-2024 02:24 PM

Quote:

I mean, that's awesome. Inside info that's likely going to pay off. Want to why we moved up for Worthy? Ask Camp Mahomes.

DJ's left nut 05-02-2024 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 17507476)
Seems like with Mahomes being from Texas the Chiefs have developed a Texas connection the last couple of years. I'm going to say Mahomes keeps track of his alma mater and their competition as well as he probably knows the kids coming up from the high schools and where they end up going to school.

That's kinda the feeling I get as well. The 'chicken or egg' question here is 'Texas' over 'Priority prospect'.

I think kids from the local area and up putting themselves more firmly on the Chiefs radar by virtue of geographic proximity to Mahomes.

philfree 05-02-2024 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17507664)
That's kinda the feeling I get as well. The 'chicken or egg' question here is 'Texas' over 'Priority prospect'.

I think kids from the local area and up putting themselves more firmly on the Chiefs radar by virtue of geographic proximity to Mahomes.

Those things intersected with Worthy but it might have a little to do with where we draft every year in regards to scouting the guys from Texas that are talented but maybe not on everyone's radar like Rice.

staylor26 05-04-2024 09:22 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Jared Wiley has impressive acceleration into open space after the catch for 6&#39;6&quot; 250<br><br>Effortless gear up once he secures the ball <a href="https://t.co/AsLC9Ioesk">pic.twitter.com/AsLC9Ioesk</a></p>&mdash; Ron Kopp Jr. (@Ron_Kopp) <a href="https://twitter.com/Ron_Kopp/status/1785472711269220646?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 1, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">There are a lot of ways Wiley can attack a defense over the middle -- just ask Baylor<br><br>Whether it was flying up the seam, finding the endzone on a catch &amp; run, or securing a pass btwn defenders, Wiley torched the Bears in &#39;23 <a href="https://t.co/xsAyDOh2b0">pic.twitter.com/xsAyDOh2b0</a></p>&mdash; Ron Kopp Jr. (@Ron_Kopp) <a href="https://twitter.com/Ron_Kopp/status/1785473448271089756?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 1, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Wiley has a good feel for spacing over the middle, btwn defenders as well<br><br>Strong route on the first one, good understanding of cheating a route to beat coverage in the 2nd <a href="https://t.co/WPypG0OpdC">pic.twitter.com/WPypG0OpdC</a></p>&mdash; Ron Kopp Jr. (@Ron_Kopp) <a href="https://twitter.com/Ron_Kopp/status/1785645174187528265?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 1, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Chiefs</a> should have no problem spreading out in 12 or 13p with Wiley on the field<br><br>He is efficient enough in his release footwork to flex out &amp; run quick game <a href="https://t.co/HTFZ4i05j1">pic.twitter.com/HTFZ4i05j1</a></p>&mdash; Ron Kopp Jr. (@Ron_Kopp) <a href="https://twitter.com/Ron_Kopp/status/1785476264893026583?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 1, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">He didn&#39;t get a target on either of those over routes, but you can see the fluidity of his route path btwn defenders, gaining speed and running into space <a href="https://t.co/OhgWL4NAZy">pic.twitter.com/OhgWL4NAZy</a></p>&mdash; Ron Kopp Jr. (@Ron_Kopp) <a href="https://twitter.com/Ron_Kopp/status/1785645580888199646?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 1, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">It&#39;s just one play, but a good representation of what Wiley needs to work on as a blocker<br><br>He&#39;s athletic and big, but he grabs here and draws holding. Needs to work on his footwork on blocks to help him stay engaged <a href="https://t.co/Ov0WGfQ1US">pic.twitter.com/Ov0WGfQ1US</a></p>&mdash; Ron Kopp Jr. (@Ron_Kopp) <a href="https://twitter.com/Ron_Kopp/status/1785645939140460553?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 1, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

duncan_idaho 05-04-2024 09:30 AM

I really think the 12 and 13 sets are going to be crazy dynamic again this year. Wiley adds a nice punch for them.

If they do miss Rice to games this year, I think KC is situated to just roll with more 12 and 13 sets in those games and fill the "Rice" role with Kecle or Gray or Wiley or even Irv Smith.

Buehler445 05-04-2024 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17507348)

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 17509396)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Jared Wiley has impressive acceleration into open space after the catch for 6&#39;6&quot; 250<br><br>Effortless gear up once he secures the ball <a href="https://t.co/AsLC9Ioesk">pic.twitter.com/AsLC9Ioesk</a></p>&mdash; Ron Kopp Jr. (@Ron_Kopp) <a href="https://twitter.com/Ron_Kopp/status/1785472711269220646?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 1, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">There are a lot of ways Wiley can attack a defense over the middle -- just ask Baylor<br><br>Whether it was flying up the seam, finding the endzone on a catch &amp; run, or securing a pass btwn defenders, Wiley torched the Bears in &#39;23 <a href="https://t.co/xsAyDOh2b0">pic.twitter.com/xsAyDOh2b0</a></p>&mdash; Ron Kopp Jr. (@Ron_Kopp) <a href="https://twitter.com/Ron_Kopp/status/1785473448271089756?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 1, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Wiley has a good feel for spacing over the middle, btwn defenders as well<br><br>Strong route on the first one, good understanding of cheating a route to beat coverage in the 2nd <a href="https://t.co/WPypG0OpdC">pic.twitter.com/WPypG0OpdC</a></p>&mdash; Ron Kopp Jr. (@Ron_Kopp) <a href="https://twitter.com/Ron_Kopp/status/1785645174187528265?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 1, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Chiefs</a> should have no problem spreading out in 12 or 13p with Wiley on the field<br><br>He is efficient enough in his release footwork to flex out &amp; run quick game <a href="https://t.co/HTFZ4i05j1">pic.twitter.com/HTFZ4i05j1</a></p>&mdash; Ron Kopp Jr. (@Ron_Kopp) <a href="https://twitter.com/Ron_Kopp/status/1785476264893026583?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 1, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">He didn&#39;t get a target on either of those over routes, but you can see the fluidity of his route path btwn defenders, gaining speed and running into space <a href="https://t.co/OhgWL4NAZy">pic.twitter.com/OhgWL4NAZy</a></p>&mdash; Ron Kopp Jr. (@Ron_Kopp) <a href="https://twitter.com/Ron_Kopp/status/1785645580888199646?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 1, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">It&#39;s just one play, but a good representation of what Wiley needs to work on as a blocker<br><br>He&#39;s athletic and big, but he grabs here and draws holding. Needs to work on his footwork on blocks to help him stay engaged <a href="https://t.co/Ov0WGfQ1US">pic.twitter.com/Ov0WGfQ1US</a></p>&mdash; Ron Kopp Jr. (@Ron_Kopp) <a href="https://twitter.com/Ron_Kopp/status/1785645939140460553?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 1, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Thanks for posting. I think we have to temper them a bit with the whole Big 12 defense thing, but kid seems to have some the goods if he’s fast enough to make it work.

Tribal Warfare 05-13-2024 08:23 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/Chiefs?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@Chiefs</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/TCUFootball?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@TCUFootball</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/Jaredwiley23?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@Jaredwiley23</a> a former HS QB; long with good speed. Remember when the Chiefs took that kid out of Cincinnati in the 3rd round? Has my undivided attention. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/chiefskingdom?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#chiefskingdom</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BaldysBreakdowns?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#BaldysBreakdowns</a> <a href="https://t.co/Yqlovgq2Vl">pic.twitter.com/Yqlovgq2Vl</a></p>&mdash; Brian Baldinger (@BaldyNFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/1790191423494443107?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 14, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

JohnnyHammersticks 05-13-2024 10:22 PM

:whackit:

RunKC 06-12-2024 12:57 PM

So excited for this guy

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">That’s a wrap on another day of Chiefs minicamp practice! A few notes:<br><br>�� WR Hollywood Brown caught a TD on a deep pass from Patrick Mahomes during team drills<br><br>�� CB Josh Williams tallied a PBU during a team red zone drill<br><br>�� TE Jared Wiley had a strong day with several grabs</p>&mdash; Matt McMullen (@KCChiefs_Matt) <a href="https://twitter.com/KCChiefs_Matt/status/1800947481477517788?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 12, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

staylor26 06-12-2024 02:04 PM

Not only has he been getting plenty of work with the 1s, he's apparently been the most targeted player both days after the big 3 of Kelce/Rice/Brown.

He'll probably get bumped down to 5th when Worthy comes back, but the rookie weapons are going to be a part of the offense day 1.