ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs *****The Willie Gay Jr. Thread***** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=330848)

Bump 04-24-2020 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 14932738)
Some kind of cheating. And he got into a physical altercation with his QB before a bowl game or something.

ah that's doesn't sound too bad, I knew some athletes that cheated when I went to college.

Mahomes is the King and way too likeable for that to happen plus the entire team would kick the shit out of him, wouldn't happen.

Good pick.

Megatron96 04-24-2020 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New World Order (Post 14932739)
Jones, Honey Badger, Clark, Thornhill, Gay

We're pretty close to being an elite defense.

We finished last season 7th defensively, IIRC.

Can you guys imagine if we have both a top-3 offense and a top-3 defense? It would be like the '95-'96 Bulls. Completely unfair.

KC_Connection 04-24-2020 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 14932746)
He broke his QB’s jaw before a big game.

Probably had it coming.

Fat Elvis 04-24-2020 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 14932690)
JFC, I take a piss and you already have a thread up and 4 pages in?

Dude, you need to change your settings. Post 54 is four pages in for you? You know you can bump that up to 80 posts per page, right?

Easy 6 04-24-2020 07:52 PM

So a practice fight and a little test cheating?

Yeah not worried, our locker room is bulletproof right now... he’ll buy in just like everyone else, and his measurables are off the chart

DRM08 04-24-2020 07:53 PM

Drafting speed and quickness from SEC. I like it! Both picks so far can be pretty helpful to the team.

staylor26 04-24-2020 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 14932746)
forget the academic BS with a tutor.

He broke his QB’s jaw before a big game.

That’s why you’re getting a LB running a 4.46 at 240 at 63.

Consider it a blessing.

KCUnited 04-24-2020 07:53 PM

He compliments the Astroclyde pick

Megatron96 04-24-2020 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 14932754)
Dude, you need to change your settings. Post 54 is four pages in for you? You know you can bump that up to 80 posts per page, right?

Why? Do I get a prize if I do?

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 04-24-2020 07:54 PM

He’s a Miss State guy too. Jones will like him

L.A. Chieffan 04-24-2020 07:54 PM

Made Tua is bitch

Mecca 04-24-2020 07:54 PM

Yea, his off the field shit is why he's at 63 and not at like 17.

Why Not? 04-24-2020 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 14932610)
From NFL.com:

Strengths
  • Frame and lower body thickness to hold up inside
  • Reads quarterback's eyes and jumps the passing lane
  • Weaves and closes with some juice as blitzer
  • Flexed wide and helped smother receiver screens in 2018
  • Plays with thud behind his pads
  • Good strength to play through soft edges
  • Short-area burst to close and pursue in space
  • Finishes what he starts as a tackler
  • Bodies, wraps and drags down runners with good efficiency

Weaknesses
  • Held out of eight games in 2019 for his role in NCAA violations pertaining to an academic tutor
  • Plays with extra steps and wasted motion
  • Needs to play with better control and body composure between tackles
  • Delay to trust and trigger prevents him from making more plays
  • Tall tackler who needs to drop his aim
  • Takes some poorly misjudged angles to the football
  • Allows climbing blocks to get into him first
  • Instincts to scrape with timing and leverage are below average

Quick Quiz:

What do almost all of those weaknesses have in common?

KC Hawks 04-24-2020 07:55 PM

He's going to make Carr cry.

JakeF 04-24-2020 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeF (Post 14932667)
Only 6 starts?

was ejected twice ROFL

ping2000 04-24-2020 07:56 PM

Gay.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...28011147e4.gif

Jewish Rabbi 04-24-2020 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Why Not? (Post 14932772)
Quick Quiz:

Answer:

I DON’T GIVE A **** ABOUT THEM!!!

Hammock Parties 04-24-2020 07:57 PM

i'm looking forward to this dude running down a receiver in camp

i bet he could run down watkins and robinson, easy

Mecca 04-24-2020 07:57 PM

Quote:

Quick Quiz:

Lack of experience...

Fish 04-24-2020 07:57 PM

Man, this guy's physical abilities are off the charts. Man, he's fast. Plays with swagger, and really looks like he enjoys it. If they can temper his emotions, he might be a very nice addition.

Halfcan 04-24-2020 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 14932745)
This is my guy...felt that way all a long.

:clap:

Yep, you nailed it for sure! He looks like such a stud. We needed this in a big way. From slow-ass Ragland to Fastest LB in the draft. What an upgrade!

Hammock Parties 04-24-2020 07:58 PM

people saying he's an elite coverage linebacker

with honeybadger and thornhill out there too the middle of the field is going to be a danger zone

staylor26 04-24-2020 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 14932783)
Lack of experience...

Exactly

WhawhaWhat 04-24-2020 07:59 PM

Quote:

Quick Quiz:

Poor coaching.

Megatron96 04-24-2020 07:59 PM

Quote:

Quick Quiz:

Lack of game snaps.

Delano 04-24-2020 08:00 PM

To the 40 of you morons that made the same joke in this thread: are you rushing to the keyboard so you can type “lol gay” and not reading through the thread?

kccrow 04-24-2020 08:00 PM

Pissed.

Not even really worth time discussing because there isn't much to discuss. Pure athletic specimen you hope to mold into an actual football player. This is the type of guy you take in round 5.

Can't say I'm too fond of Veach and his ability to find linebackers at this point. Hope like **** House can turn him into something useful.

How about the two guys staring you in the ****ing face that actually had production in college Veach? Jesus Christ.

BigChiefFan 04-24-2020 08:00 PM

This guy’s measurables is off the charts. If he can keep his nose clean, this mother ****er, might be the next Ray Lewis. Wrecking ball.

Mecca 04-24-2020 08:01 PM

The Chiefs coaching staff will have him in line quick, House got production from some jags so he can do wonders with this talent, mold that ball of clay.

Chris Meck 04-24-2020 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 14932798)
Pissed.

Not even really worth time discussing because there isn't much to discuss. Pure athletic specimen you hope to mold into an actual football player. This is the type of guy you take in round 5.

Can't say I'm too fond of Veach and his ability to find linebackers at this point. Hope like **** House can turn him into something useful.

How about the two guys staring you in the ****ing face that actually had production in college Veach? Jesus Christ.

uhhh...wha?

ThyKingdomCome15 04-24-2020 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wisconsin_Chief (Post 14932649)
I’m gay (happy) to land Gay!

I also like women.

I’ll show myself out.

LMAO

staylor26 04-24-2020 08:01 PM

Quote:

Pissed.

:facepalm:

Megatron96 04-24-2020 08:02 PM

Quote:

Pissed.

What? You really think Veach is making these decisions in a bubble? You think Spags/House/Daly didn't have some input here? Do you believe in the Easter Bunny?

MahomesMagic 04-24-2020 08:03 PM

Quote:

Pissed.

Gay will be fine if they keep him in a very specific role. He is what Spags wants...

If we ever lose Spags he is unplayable.

kccrow 04-24-2020 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 14932803)
uhhh...wha?

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14932806)
:facepalm:

Not even kidding. I don't trust Veach with LBs. Every ****ing one he touches sucks. This kid screams bust. You don't take players like that in round 2. Stupid. Legitimately hate this pick. I can only hope House turns him into a player because he isn't one now.

Mecca 04-24-2020 08:04 PM

The Chiefs got a 1st round talent at LB, on paper his physical is better than Queens, he's got the same speed with 15 more lbs on his frame...

DaneMcCloud 04-24-2020 08:04 PM

Gay was suspended for having a tutor take his chemistry tests.

He got into an altercation with his QB during Bowl Week practice and wasn't suspended.

He finished the game with 11 tackles.

staylor26 04-24-2020 08:04 PM

You’d think after the success with all the turnover last year and how good all of our rookies on defense played that some of you’d would trust this defensive staff with a talent like this.

Good god.

JakeF 04-24-2020 08:04 PM

2020 NFL draft prospect rankings: No. 52 Willie Gay Jr.
Eric EdholmYahoo SportsApr 24, 2020, 7:36 PM

52. Mississippi State LB Willie Gay Jr.
6-foot-1, 243 pounds
Yahoo Sports draft grade: 5.89 (Potential starter)

The lowdown: Gay was a highly touted high-school recruit who never quite reached the peaks expected of him — with multiple suspensions reeruning his growth — but his elite testing numbers at the NFL combine and coverage ability he’s displayed have NFL teams fascinated.

Gay turned in a strong 2018 season, with five sacks and two interceptions, and showed he could handle a variety of roles on defense and special teams. His calling card was his pass coverage, though, even with some questions about his ability to read keys and fill lanes properly vs. the run.

Some of that appeared to be improved in 2019, but the biggest issue was that he was suspended (along with nine other teammates) a total of eight games last season, reportedly for academic fraud involving a tutor — and Gay later said it was in a chemistry class. The staff was allowed to pick which games the players could sit, so Gay only took the field five times last season (against Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, Ole Miss and the bowl game vs. Louisville).

Gay ran back a pick-6 on his first defensive series he played last season and improved his run defense in limited time over the course of the season. He also was everywhere in the bowl game loss, making 11 tackles (one for loss) and a forced fumble near his own end zone. It’s easy to appreciate his high-intensity style, even if it needs some toning down and refinement at times.

At the combine Gay put up whopper numbers — a 4.46-second 40-yard dash, a 39 1/2-inch vertical jump and 11-foot-4 on the broad jump. Those are numbers you just don’t see often in an off-the-ball linebacker.

By the numbers: Gay only started six college games. But he was ejected twice in college for personal-foul and targeting calls.

Interesting fact: In addition to the academic suspension, Gay reportedly was in an altercation with expected starting QB Garrett Shrader prior to the Music City Bowl. Shrader suffered a chest injury and couldn’t play, but Gay was not suspended for his role in the incident.

Draft range: If Gay convinced teams that he’s not a character risk, it would not at all be stunning to see him drafted in the top 40 or 50 picks. One area scout told us before last season that Gay had a chance to develop into a first-round-caliber prospect eventually for his rare athletic ability.

DaneMcCloud 04-24-2020 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 14932817)
The Chiefs got a 1st round talent at LB, on paper his physical is better than Queens, he's got the same speed with 15 more lbs on his frame...

Exactly. And Queen was a 1 year starter so it's not like he's got years on Gay, jr.

I fully trust this coaching staff to coach him into a very good, if not great, LBer, something the Chiefs have been missing since 2010-2013 DJ.

Why Not? 04-24-2020 08:05 PM

Quick Quiz answer:

You guys pretty much all said it.

His weaknesses can absolutely be coached out of him.

DRM08 04-24-2020 08:05 PM

In addition to the speed, he has a nearly 40 inch vertical leap. Freak athlete at 240 pounds. Hope the coaches can get the best out of him!

KC_Connection 04-24-2020 08:05 PM

Quote:

Pissed.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Willie Gay Jr: 93.9 PFF coverage grade since 2017<br><br>1st among NFL Draft LBs <a href="https://t.co/WJe6xZrI6t">pic.twitter.com/WJe6xZrI6t</a></p>&mdash; PFF Draft (@PFF_College) <a href="https://twitter.com/PFF_College/status/1253859938876698625?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 25, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Can't play football, though.

Jewish Rabbi 04-24-2020 08:05 PM

Quote:

Pissed.

Your choice to be a fan.

Cc: get a clue

BigRedChief 04-24-2020 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahomesMagic (Post 14932812)
Gay will be fine if they keep him in a very specific role. He is what Spags wants...

Spags ain’t coaching another 4 years.

MahomesMagic 04-24-2020 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 14932815)
Not even kidding. I don't trust Veach with LBs. Every ****ing one he touches sucks. This kid screams bust. You don't take players like that in round 2. Stupid. Legitimately hate this pick. I can only hope House turns him into a player because he isn't one now.

I normally don't even look at linebackers with no instincts but if they just keep him near the LOS and rush him every down he won't need to have them.

Mecca 04-24-2020 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 14932815)

I take this a bit personal since Willie Gay is one of my favorite prospects...

ThyKingdomCome15 04-24-2020 08:07 PM

Quote:

Pissed.

Mississippi State defense is a football factory, man. Lotta talent comes out of there. Give it a chance.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 04-24-2020 08:07 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Really like that pick. Chiefs need coverage linebackers and the culture there is strong for Gay to grow as a person and player. <a href="https://t.co/tOsUjIYCh3">https://t.co/tOsUjIYCh3</a></p>&mdash; Jon Ledyard (@LedyardNFLDraft) <a href="https://twitter.com/LedyardNFLDraft/status/1253859595388321792?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 25, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Why Not? 04-24-2020 08:07 PM

Quote:

Pissed.

Because we all know, college production= automatic NFL success!

kccrow 04-24-2020 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14932820)
You’d think after the success with all the turnover last year and how good all of our rookies on defense played that some of you’d would trust this defensive staff with a talent like this.

Good god.

He has all the physical traits in the world to be a superstar. He's got alot of development to go to realize it. Sorry if I'm not enamored with that in a 2nd round pick. KPass 2.0, but with even less collegiate production.

I would take Logan Wilson every day of the week over this kid at this spot.

Warpaint69 04-24-2020 08:07 PM

And not to sound like a dick, but what makes you a superior NFL talent evaluator?

Bump 04-24-2020 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14932820)

Good god.

there's like one post that hates the pick and the rest are jizzing over it. It's okay to have a different take than the mainstream opinion. There's a little boom or bust to the pick, but that's ok. If it works out, you have one of the faster linebackers in the game that can make plays. If it doesn't, we'll be alright. We've gotten zero out of our 2nd round pick from 2 years ago and it took KPass like 3 years to do something and we turned out alright.

OrtonsPiercedTaint 04-24-2020 08:08 PM

Quote:

Pissed.

There was cake when he was picked

Clyde Frog 04-24-2020 08:08 PM

Quote:

Quick Quiz:

DJ

Megatron96 04-24-2020 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahomesMagic (Post 14932834)
I normally don't even look at linebackers with no instincts but if they just keep him near the LOS and rush him every down he won't need to have them.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EWaa9HJX...jpg&name=small

Uh, a dipsticksayswhat?

ForeverIowan 04-24-2020 08:08 PM

Reid just quoted saying Spags absolutely loves this guy. Fits right in the mold of Badger and Clark. Reckless! Alphas! Just absolute dogs man!

Mecca 04-24-2020 08:09 PM

Kpass turned out fine when he got a coach that realized what he was.

Coach 04-24-2020 08:09 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Willie Gay Jr. had to get into his car, drive to town and then talk to the Chiefs on their virtual interviews. It’s because where Gay lives there is apparently no service to do the calls.</p>&mdash; James Palmer (@JamesPalmerTV) <a href="https://twitter.com/JamesPalmerTV/status/1253868181510184960?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 25, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Clyde Frog 04-24-2020 08:09 PM

Quote:

Pissed.

Gayphobic much?

staylor26 04-24-2020 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 14932847)
there's like one post that hates the pick and the rest are jizzing over it. It's okay to have a different take than the mainstream opinion. There's a little boom or bust to the pick, but that's ok. If it works out, you have one of the faster linebackers in the game that can make plays. If it doesn't, we'll be alright. We've gotten zero out of our 2nd round pick from 2 years ago and it took KPass like 3 years to do something and we turned out alright.

Suck a dick. I can have an opinion about somebody’s opinion. That’s all this place is.

O.city 04-24-2020 08:09 PM

I’d have gone wilson but this one makes sense

Sassy Squatch 04-24-2020 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahomesMagic (Post 14932812)

LMAO Yeah, I'm sure NFL DCs won't be able to find a role for a guy with his measurables and ability.

Hammock Parties 04-24-2020 08:09 PM

People say Willie is a lot like Johnson. I always knew that type of stud would rise again in KC. Word is that this guy can really pound the backside of the offense. Running backs are about to get ass****ed left and right. Looking at the tape, Willie really comes hard and knows how to finish. These off the field concerns are a problem, though, hopefully his head won't get too big.

kccrow 04-24-2020 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi (Post 14932832)
Your choice to be a fan.

Cc: get a clue

You reeruned piece of shit, your whore mother should have swallowed your dumb ass. Having an opinion on what one perceives as a stupid ****ing decision does not define fandom. GMs miss all the ****ing time and Veach has missed hard on a few. Don't' act like he's untouchable. He's not.

tredadda 04-24-2020 08:09 PM

Quote:

Pissed.

And there comes the inevitable complaining about a solid pick.

Scooter LaCanforno 04-24-2020 08:10 PM

This pick is a defensive move to shut down Lindsey, Jacobs and Ekeler from coming out of the backfield on checkdowns. Great pick.

DaFace 04-24-2020 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 14932863)
You reeruned piece of shit, your whore mother should have swallowed your dumb ass. Having an opinion on what one perceives as a stupid ****ing decision does not define fandom. GMs miss all the ****ing time and Veach has missed hard on a few. Don't' act like he's untouchable. He's not.

Go home. You're drunk.

MahomesMagic 04-24-2020 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 14932861)
LMAO Yeah, I'm sure NFL DCs won't be able to find a role for a guy with his measurables and ability.

He is very scheme specific. There are lots of teams that would have no place for him.

He has a role here. That's why he was drafted.

Issue is like Breeland Speaks was drafted for the 3-4 defense..what happens when you change.

Easy 6 04-24-2020 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 14932838)
I take this a bit personal since Willie Gay is one of my favorite prospects...

FIGHT!

kccrow 04-24-2020 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warpaint69 (Post 14932846)
And not to sound like a dick, but what makes you a superior NFL talent evaluator?

I don't do too bad at it from my couch. ;)

Everyone though, please trust every pick Veach makes because he's a superstud GM that will never miss on a pick.

PS: He still didn't draft Mahomes, just sayin.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 04-24-2020 08:13 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">BIG BRO LETS WORK����‼️ <a href="https://t.co/8lsHpfkA6q">https://t.co/8lsHpfkA6q</a></p>&mdash; Willie Gay Jr. (@WillieG___) <a href="https://twitter.com/WillieG___/status/1253865151549358080?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 25, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Jewish Rabbi 04-24-2020 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 14932863)

Lmao

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 04-24-2020 08:14 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Andy Reid on Willie Gay Jr.: &quot;We felt very comfortable taking him at that spot. He was the linebacker we wanted.&quot;<br><br>Reid said veterans such as Tyrann Mathieu, Frank Clark &amp; Anthony Hitchens will help Gay mature.</p>&mdash; Nate Taylor (@ByNateTaylor) <a href="https://twitter.com/ByNateTaylor/status/1253865310085697541?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 25, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hog's Gone Fishin 04-24-2020 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 14932579)
How are his coverage skills?

Best Coverage LB in the draft

kccrow 04-24-2020 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 14932871)
Go home. You're drunk.

Nah, meant every word of it. I take serious offense to idiots questioning being a fan of this team because you disagree with something. It's stupid, but it's par for the course for this place. By the way, haven't had a drink.

gblowfish 04-24-2020 08:15 PM

Is this the first openly Gay defensive player drafted since Michael Sam?

OrtonsPiercedTaint 04-24-2020 08:15 PM

If we were all alike, we couldn't reproduce

Sassy Squatch 04-24-2020 08:15 PM

Y u hef to b mad?

BWillie 04-24-2020 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! (Post 14932646)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Willie Gay Jr: 93.9 PFF coverage grade since 2017<br><br>1st among NFL Draft LBs <a href="https://t.co/WJe6xZrI6t">pic.twitter.com/WJe6xZrI6t</a></p>&mdash; PFF Draft (@PFF_College) <a href="https://twitter.com/PFF_College/status/1253859938876698625?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 25, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This pleases me.