ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Video Games Sony Playstation 5 thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=329953)

Rasputin 06-12-2020 03:14 AM

I don't care what it looks like I care what the game playing experience is like. How much better are the graphics and will Madden not suck playing it?

Are the controls any thing different than what I'm use too?

How expensive are the games going be?

bowener 06-12-2020 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 15017569)
Makes it even worse. All you need is a plainish black box with your logo, a disc drive, and a hard drive. That's ****ing it. Now I've got to have a specialized stand to even have the damn thing sitting sideways.

It comes with the stand which allows you to keep the console in either position.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Bundy (Post 15017745)
Any word on backwards compatability?

Fully backwards compatible, with some of the more recent version of games allowing you to upgrade to the PS5 version for free. It is going to be crazy to play old games on it since there will be zero loading time now.

bowener 06-12-2020 07:25 AM

God damn, this thing might be gigantic. About 14" tall possibly. That will definitely be a problem for a lot of people. I understand they wanted to get airflow to the GPU, but damn that is a big bitch.

https://www.thesixthaxis.com/wp-cont...s-2048x810.jpg

DJJasonp 06-12-2020 08:36 AM

LOL....who gives a shit what it looks like.

What are load times?
What are graphics/gameplay?
What are exclusives?
How decent is the front-end UI?

these are the things that matter!

Mecca 06-12-2020 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJJasonp (Post 15018222)

What are load times?
What are exclusives?

What if it looked like a fleshlight?

ToxSocks 06-12-2020 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 15018420)
What if it looked like a fleshlight?

I guess that would depend on if it had silicone infused "real skin" on the inside.

Mecca 06-12-2020 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 15018439)
I guess that would depend on if it had silicone infused "real skin" on the inside.

It would really cradle those discs quite well.

The Franchise 06-12-2020 02:26 PM

Doesn’t matter because I’m going to buy one.

keg in kc 06-12-2020 04:23 PM

I just hope to christ i don't have to come up with $600 for one.

JD10367 06-12-2020 05:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 15018137)
God damn, this thing might be gigantic. About 14" tall possibly.

Sorry 06-12-2020 10:54 PM

Quote:

What are load times?
What are exclusives?

I think they are aiming for very little load times.. esp in a game like madden

Al Bundy 06-13-2020 06:43 AM

Quote:

What are load times?
What are exclusives?

Backwards compatability.

DJJasonp 06-13-2020 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Bundy (Post 15019376)
Backwards compatability.

That too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bowener 06-15-2020 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJJasonp (Post 15019479)
That too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony has tested over 5000 games so far and there have been no issues with BC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 15018907)

The speculation is that both will come in at $499 for the consoles with a disc drive and $400-$450 for the digital-only version PS5.

It is interesting to see what happens now. MS is trying to wait out Sony so they don't have the same problem as the last generation's launch, and the rumors I've seen have said they are willing to undercut Sony's price no matter what. Both consoles have higher production costs than the last generation; somewhere around $450-500. MS can eat financial losses on a console longer than Sony can, but that depends on how long Sony wants to lose money. PSN brought in over $12 billion last year, up about $3 billion from the year before. They won't be hurting for cash, and the PS4 will continue to sell after a price drop brings it down to around $200.

Mecca 06-15-2020 07:36 AM

I'm not really sure why anyone would go digital only if it's going to be that close in price, a 4k dvd drive is worth more than 100 dollars.

Great Expectations 06-15-2020 08:26 AM

These consoles have always been worth the value of the new DVD player alone. The PS3 playing Blu-ray and costing $300 was less expensive than most Blu-ray players at the time. $500 for a PS5 and 4K DVD player seems worth it to me. Of course you can download 4K movies now instead of renting them from someplace like redbox.

Stryker 06-15-2020 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 15018907)

Oh you can bet on it! But, you won't be alone :thumb:

Stryker 06-15-2020 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 15021365)
Sony has tested over 5000 games so far and there have been no issues with BC.

The speculation is that both will come in at $499 for the consoles with a disc drive and $400-$450 for the digital-only version PS5.

It is interesting to see what happens now. MS is trying to wait out Sony so they don't have the same problem as the last generation's launch, and the rumors I've seen have said they are willing to undercut Sony's price no matter what. Both consoles have higher production costs than the last generation; somewhere around $450-500. MS can eat financial losses on a console longer than Sony can, but that depends on how long Sony wants to lose money. PSN brought in over $12 billion last year, up about $3 billion from the year before. They won't be hurting for cash, and the PS4 will continue to sell after a price drop brings it down to around $200.

The price speculation makes complete since @ $499. So that with tax is around $545 + 1 game and tax still gets you in at approx. $620.

lcarus 06-15-2020 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 14858134)
Don't will be fine. Honestly most of the power is wasted by the developers in programming and shitty code. My problem with Sony is their first party games. Most are QuickTime movies. Spiderman was about it for me.

I also think it is foolish to spend the money on timed exclusives. Ms needs to up their game also. Their first party games sucked this generation. They killed a lot of promising games.

I think the next generation after this will be finally PC's. Upgradable consoles. Basically cheaper computers using proprietary software.

I'm in total agreement. I've had every PS console since the original but this last generation just didn't do much for me. I'm not a graphics whore and I know graphics don't make the game, but when I don't give a shit about the exclusives, why wouldn't I just build a PC that can do anything.

Rausch 06-17-2020 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 15017700)
Both consoles look like dogshit.

I get what Xbox was trying to do with their "revolutionary" cooling design (lol).

Yup.

And I'll probably wait a year or more to get one. The initial models on most consoles have bugs and hardware issues they usually fix on version 2 or 3...

JD10367 06-17-2020 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 15021819)
I'm in total agreement. I've had every PS console since the original but this last generation just didn't do much for me. I'm not a graphics whore and I know graphics don't make the game, but when I don't give a shit about the exclusives, why wouldn't I just build a PC that can do anything.

I always assumed building your own PC gaming rig was way more expensive than going with consoles. Then again, I don't know shit, since the last console I bought was a PS2 and my desktop is an off-the-rack cheap POS from Best Buy five years ago.

lcarus 06-18-2020 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 15025033)
I always assumed building your own PC gaming rig was way more expensive than going with consoles. Then again, I don't know shit, since the last console I bought was a PS2 and my desktop is an off-the-rack cheap POS from Best Buy five years ago.

It is more expensive for sure. From what I've looked into and the parts I already have, it will cost around 1,000 bucks to build a pretty damn good computer. It would be worth it to me though, because my PC is what I use for everything. Even if I do eventually get a PS5, I still want/need to build a new PC.

Gravedigger 06-18-2020 10:00 AM

Allow me to play all of my PS4 digital games I purchased on a PS5 without having to buy them again and we'll be good.

Bill Brasky 06-19-2020 11:51 AM

I can’t believe the number of launch titles that are full ray traced. Pretty amazing they can incorporate new tech so quickly.

bowener 06-19-2020 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravedigger (Post 15025979)
Allow me to play all of my PS4 digital games I purchased on a PS5 without having to buy them again and we'll be good.

I think that has been confirmed already.

Quote:

The PS5 will also support the physical PS4 game discs, meaning that you will be able to insert your old PS4 game discs into the PS5 and play them, along with your digital purchases from the PlayStation Store
It was on the first site that came up when I googled.

vailpass 06-19-2020 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 15021367)
I'm not really sure why anyone would go digital only if it's going to be that close in price, a 4k dvd drive is worth more than 100 dollars.

Do people still buy DVD’s or any media that needs to be put in a spinning drive?

eDave 06-21-2020 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 15028280)
Do people still buy DVD’s or any media that needs to be put in a spinning drive?

It's the new vynal.

JD10367 06-21-2020 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 15030323)
It's the new vynal.

Vinyl = a record album
Vynal = a tranny hooker

Bill Brasky 06-22-2020 12:54 PM

Quote:

Yes! I buy as many games physical as possible because I like sharing them with my friends and nephew when I'm done.

Great Expectations 06-23-2020 08:37 AM

Quote:

There are a couple of places in Joplin where you can rent 4K movies for around $5. It saves a little on data and you get the extras.

Bill Brasky 08-27-2020 01:53 PM

You can register for a PS5 pre-order spot now. Here are the instructions.

https://kotaku.com/sony-is-offering-...how-1844861283

vailpass 09-15-2020 05:26 PM

Xbox Series X/S Doesn’t Offer WiFi 6 or a USB-C Port Like the PlayStation 5 Does

When a new console comes out, most people focus on the big headline features – CPU and GPU speed, storage, the controller – but the little things matter too, and it seems the PlayStation 5 outdoes the Xbox Series X/S when it comes to a few of those little things. Microsoft recently released the full spec sheet for the Xbox Series X/S and it seems they’ve skimped a bit when it comes to WiFi and USB ports.

The Xbox Series X/S will utilize the fifth-generation WiFi (802.11ac) standard, while the PS5 will use WiFi 6 (802.11ax). WiFi 6 offers a maximum download speed of 9.6gbps, while WiFi 5 maxes out at 6.9gbps. Now, these top speeds only theoretical, as you’re lucky to achieve downloads a tenth that fast under real-world conditions. That said, it’s the comparison that’s useful – the PS5 should be able to download things via WiFi around 30 percent faster than the Xbox Series X/S. WiFi 6 is also said to be more stable in WiFi-congested areas, so those trying to play online wirelessly in apartment blocks or public places will hopefully have less problems.

Meanwhile, Microsoft's spec sheet also reveals the Xbox Series X/S will have three USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports, while the PlayStation 5 will sport both a USB-C and a standard port. A USB-C cable can transfer more information than a standard UBC cable (up to 10gbps), but the reason most gamers ought to be interested in them is they can transfer more power, allowing you to charge controllers and other devices more quickly. It’s been confirmed the the PS5's DualSense controller and the Xbox Series X/S controller have a USB-C port for charging.

https://wccftech.com/xbox-series-x-s...sb-c-port/amp/

htismaqe 09-15-2020 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Brasky (Post 15032118)
Yes! I buy as many games physical as possible because I like sharing them with my friends and nephew when I'm done.

This.

htismaqe 09-15-2020 06:42 PM

I won't be getting one any time soon. It sounds like they're going to be limiting stock due to supplier delays (COVID) so there's going to be a shortage in the near term.

Plus I have plenty of PS4 games to finish for now.

Sassy Squatch 09-16-2020 08:38 PM

Preorders are sold out LMAO. Some retailers just couldn't wait until tomorrow and opened the floodgates. Think the only chance left is Amazon.

lcarus 09-17-2020 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 15172797)
Preorders are sold out LMAO. Some retailers just couldn't wait until tomorrow and opened the floodgates. Think the only chance left is Amazon.

I had shit to do yesterday and couldn't get one. Oh well. All the dickheads trying to flip these for 1000 dollars on eBay are gonna be surprised to find out how many people are fine with waiting. That and there's already a metric assload of these on eBay and it hasn't even been a whole day yet

Sassy Squatch 09-17-2020 07:28 AM

https://www.samsclub.com/p/ps5-pre-o...searchTerm=ps5

Check out as a guest. Do it quick

lcarus 09-17-2020 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 15173126)

Out of stock by the time I saw this. Thanks though. It's all good. I'm totally fine not getting one at launch. Demon's Souls is the one game I would even care about at launch. And it will still be there later.

Mecca 09-17-2020 07:36 AM

I learned a long time ago buying a launch system is a good way to get bugs, buy one in March and you're good.

SuperChief 09-17-2020 08:43 AM

If ya'll see more available pre-orders, let a dude know.

SuperChief 09-17-2020 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 15173133)
I learned a long time ago buying a launch system is a good way to get bugs, buy one in March and you're good.

This has not been my experience. Or anyone else's that I know of.

Pants 09-17-2020 08:53 AM

Genius move by Sony to have a full power console without an optical disk reader at such a low price point.

DJJasonp 09-17-2020 09:00 AM

I'll probably get the version that plays 4K dvds.

Stupid to buy a top-tier 4K television with HDR, etc......and not have the ability to watch a 4K movie with the best possible picture.

Streaming, as it stands now (even when ultra-HD and solid connection) isnt the same thing/level.

Sassy Squatch 09-17-2020 09:01 AM

This guy is a must follow. Been on top of every single pre-order opening. Got an amazon link before it was even live.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Wario64

Stryker 09-17-2020 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15170878)
I won't be getting one any time soon. It sounds like they're going to be limiting stock due to supplier delays (COVID) so there's going to be a shortage in the near term.

Plus I have plenty of PS4 games to finish for now.

This. I want more titles to become available and I want to see if there are any issues with the system at least a year out before I consider purchasing.

Mecca 09-17-2020 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperChief (Post 15173236)
This has not been my experience. Or anyone else's that I know of.

Really you didn't know anyone that got the dead PS4's from Amazon that just flashed a blue light? Or the xbox ones that launched that had dead disc drives?

Bill Brasky 09-17-2020 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 15173366)
Really you didn't know anyone that got the dead PS4's from Amazon that just flashed a blue light? Or the xbox ones that launched that had dead disc drives?

Not personally, no. I bought a day 1 PS4 from Amazon and it’s still going strong. I’m playing through RDR2 right now. I’m not saying they didn’t exist, it’s just not my experience or any of my friends.

lcarus 09-17-2020 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 15173366)

Or the Xbox 360 red ring of death. Supposedly that cost Microsoft 1 billion dollars.

Sassy Squatch 09-17-2020 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 15173464)
Or the Xbox 360 red ring of death. Supposedly that cost Microsoft 1 billion dollars.

Yeah, that's the only one I remember. You could wrap it in a towel to overheat it and reset it IIRC.

Mecca 09-17-2020 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 15173466)
Yeah, that's the only one I remember. You could wrap it in a towel to overheat it and reset it IIRC.

The towel thing only worked for a short time because it made it so hot it would melt stuff on the inside.

Sassy Squatch 09-17-2020 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 15173491)
The towel thing only worked for a short time because it made it so hot it would melt stuff on the inside.

I'm pretty sure you just had to solder or screw the heat sinks inside to fix the issue. But this has been ****ing years ago.

SuperChief 09-17-2020 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 15173275)
This guy is a must follow. Been on top of every single pre-order opening. Got an amazon link before it was even live.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Wario64

Yes. This is why I came here lol. Thank you.

lcarus 09-17-2020 11:05 AM

I'm just too slow for this stuff I guess. Yesterday I was busy. Had no idea when places started selling them. Then I went to bed around 11:30 and woke up about 6:30. The places that went live between those times sold out of course, and by the time I got online this morning to check things out, Amazon had already come and gone. People just live on the frickin internet or what? I can almost guarantee I'll miss any restocks too lol. It'll take a real stroke of luck.

Dayze 09-17-2020 11:06 AM

man..the RROD..I haven't thought about that in years.
I think I went through like 3 Xboxes in like 4 months because of that. each time replaced with the warranty thing I got at NFM for like $40; after I got the final new one in had, I sold it to a guy a work for about $50 less than new. switched to PS3 and have been a Sony guy since.

really excited to see some PS5 stuff after it comes out.

Mecca 09-17-2020 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 15173550)
I'm just too slow for this stuff I guess. Yesterday I was busy. Had no idea when places started selling them. Then I went to bed around 11:30 and woke up about 6:30. The places that went live between those times sold out of course, and by the time I got online this morning to check things out, Amazon had already come and gone. People just live on the frickin internet or what? I can almost guarantee I'll miss any restocks too lol. It'll take a real stroke of luck.

People had alarms set for this shit like xmas day.

lcarus 09-17-2020 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 15173597)
People had alarms set for this shit like xmas day.

I signed up for notification on Playstation a couple months ago and got nothin.

Mecca 09-17-2020 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 15173631)

Playstation jobbed people, the stores went live before PS told anyone.

Sassy Squatch 09-17-2020 12:06 PM

To be fair, pretty sure Wal Mart broke date early and the rest followed suit (besides Amazon, but they dropped it at midnight.

DJJasonp 09-17-2020 02:08 PM

Quote:

I got an email late last night from Playstation - I'm supposed to follow a link they provided tomorrow morning, login with network ID, and get placed in a waiting room - and hope that I get picked to be able to preorder.

For anyone who's ever tried to get comic-con tickets......probably similar process.

Sassy Squatch 09-17-2020 02:38 PM

Nah, I think even those emails were determined by lottery. As long as you get in that waiting room when it opens you should be good.

Clyde Frog 09-17-2020 03:41 PM

Quote:

I signed up on Best Buy, Amazon, Sony and Target. Got nothing...from any of them ROFL

Sassy Squatch 09-17-2020 03:45 PM

Target. Right now. Go.

Sassy Squatch 09-17-2020 03:46 PM

https://www.target.com/p/-/A-81114595

Clyde Frog 09-17-2020 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 15174080)

Thanks, dude. It lagged out for me until they were all sold out. RIP

Sassy Squatch 09-17-2020 03:56 PM

Not even 15 minutes LMAO

Clyde Frog 09-17-2020 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 15174094)
Not even 15 minutes LMAO

It was not even 5 minutes. Insanity.

Sassy Squatch 09-17-2020 05:58 PM

Walmart is now giving a time that preorders will be available. Roughly an hour.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-Play...mw40&sharedid=

Sassy Squatch 09-17-2020 06:06 PM

Digital if that's your preference

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-Play...SignIn&rm=true

Perineum Ripper 09-17-2020 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 15174303)

If my internet was worth a **** where I currently live, I would be ok with digital. 5mb download advertised speed, with actual speeds being 1 mb down. Just doesn’t go well with multiple gb game file sizes.

Sassy Squatch 09-17-2020 06:58 PM

Better get ready if you want them. 2 minutes.

Sassy Squatch 09-17-2020 07:05 PM

Didn't even last 1 minute. Ridiculous LMAO

MarkDavis'Haircut 09-17-2020 08:35 PM

Should I buy a PS4 now or wait until the PS5?

Pants 09-18-2020 08:50 AM

Sony's like "damn, we shoulda made this thing $699."

Hammock Parties 09-18-2020 09:48 AM

Man, why can't this come to PC

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8aVjyjEj0DQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Clyde Frog 09-18-2020 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carr4MVP (Post 15174678)

Depends on what matters to you. If you want to save money but don't mind slower load times and inferior graphics most titles that are coming out for ps5 will also come out for ps4. There are a few titles like Demon's Souls, Ratchet and Clank and God of War: Ragnarock that are ps5 exclusives.

Bill Brasky 09-18-2020 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carr4MVP (Post 15174678)

Jesus you've waited this long... The backwards compatibility of the PS5 makes this a no brainer. You should get the PS5 disk version when it's available and then you'll have an entire generation of games to buy used and dirt ****ing cheap. You could play the entire PS4 catalogue and wait for the PS5 games to drop in price. You will easily be able to find used games cheaper than 10 bucks a pop.

The advantage is that you don't have to wait 3 years for the slim version of the PS5.

Bill Brasky 09-18-2020 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 15175288)
Man, why can't this come to PC

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8aVjyjEj0DQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That look really fun. My wife might even enjoy that game. I can't wait to get really good at quiddich so I can buy that 1 Thunderbolt VII.

The world outside the castle is what I'm concerned about. I want a fully fleshed out world outside of Hogwarts.

DJJasonp 09-18-2020 11:02 AM

I'm in the queue via Playstation's preorder group.

says I'm about 25 minutes away from the front of the line...........

EDIT: GOT ONE!!!!! Optical version!!!

Hammock Parties 09-18-2020 02:29 PM

uh oh

https://media.thedonald.win/post/JzO7iX04.png

bowener 09-18-2020 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 15175870)

Jesus christ that is some awful advertising. Even in decades before that comes across as tone-deaf at best.

Beyond that, why not go with the rhyme? "It's alright to be (all) white."

EDIT:

Photoshopped version of the original image which is linked below.

https://twitter.com/DanielBarker21/s...537760770?s=20