ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Intermittent Fasting (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=313701)

MrGiggity 02-10-2018 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boiled Chicken (Post 13411504)
Is there any difference between working out before or after you break your fast?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nHJhufGbmR0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MVChiefFan 02-11-2018 09:39 AM

I intermittent fast and I know it sucks, but I break up my exercise into two different times. I get up in the morning and have a cup of black coffee and then do cardio during my fasted state. Then, after I break fast at lunch, I lift in the afternoon. I think that cardio on an empty stomach helps burn more fat, but you need the energy of food for heavy lifting. Like I said, it kind of sucks to not get all your workout done at one time, but I’ve found this routine to be very beneficial.

lewdog 02-11-2018 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVChiefFan (Post 13412368)
I intermittent fast and I know it sucks, but I break up my exercise into two different times. I get up in the morning and have a cup of black coffee and then do cardio during my fasted state. Then, after I break fast at lunch, I lift in the afternoon. I think that cardio on an empty stomach helps burn more fat, but you need the energy of food for heavy lifting. Like I said, it kind of sucks to not get all your workout done at one time, but I’ve found this routine to be very beneficial.

You could accomplish the same thing by lifting heavy to deplete glycogen stores and follow that with cardio to burn more fat. Interval training would be your best form of cardio when it follows lifting weights to accomplish this.

Too bad most who lift weights do it with such little intensity. Long cardio sessions aren’t needed to lose fat, provided your weight work is compound exercise such as presses, rows/chins, squats and deadlifts.

BWillie 02-11-2018 12:43 PM

Almost everything I've read in this thread goes against everything I always read from 2000-2006 on Elite Fitness & Body Building boards. Amazing how things change. Maybe I was doing it all wrong but I had good results.

lewdog 02-11-2018 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13412597)
Almost everything I've read in this thread goes against everything I always read from 2000-2006 on Elite Fitness & Body Building boards. Amazing how things change. Maybe I was doing it all wrong but I had good results.

There’s many ways to skin a cat.

It’s mostly about daily caloric intake vs what you’re burning. Accomplish that in any way you want and you’ll have success. The stuff that was incorrect was that eating every few hours kept your metabolism high. It really doesn’t matter. It’s just accomplishing calories in vs calories out. Don’t need to get cute with how you do it. Fasting shortens my feeding window and I take in less calories.

AssEaterChief 02-11-2018 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 13412471)
Too bad most who lift weights do it with such little intensity. Long cardio sessions aren’t needed to lose fat, provided your weight work is compound exercise such as presses, rows/chins, squats and deadlifts.

Intensity in what regard?

MVChiefFan 02-11-2018 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 13412471)
You could accomplish the same thing by lifting heavy to deplete glycogen stores and follow that with cardio to burn more fat. Interval training would be your best form of cardio when it follows lifting weights to accomplish this.

Yeah, I think this way is probably the best. I was doing this for the last couple of years, but recently got stuck in a rut. I changed it up and I’ve dropped a decent amount of fat in the last month. Just something different.

lewdog 02-11-2018 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AssEaterChief (Post 13412755)
Intensity in what regard?

Intensity as measured by percentage of your 1 rep max for multiple working sets. Not wasting so much time doing high rep sets with lighter weight like most people lift.

MrGiggity 02-12-2018 06:56 AM

Down 3.8 pounds since last monday (Start date). Admittedly have not had 16:8 days everyday this week, but have done it 3 times. The other days ranged from 11-14 hours of fasting.

BucEyedPea 02-12-2018 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 13408331)
Ladies Home Journal handing out nutrition advice again?

Do you know how to read scientific research?

Ah, the ole' you don't know science ad hom/ logical fallacy. That's odd, usually vegans criticize that book. My niece is a registered dietician. I don't have to go reading reams of scientific research. There's all kinds anyway, when it comes to food and nutrition and plenty of it contradicts other studies. There's lo fat, paleo such as Atkins, the Zone, Macro and on and on and on.

What I know is the list for my blood type, matches the list from my blood work by my allergy doctor. I don't rely on the book for one profile but as part of more factors including genetics. Plus, I feel better.

BTW your beloved NIH turned out to be wrong about parabens now that they're being removed from products for being found in biopsies of folks with skin and breast cancer. There was an article in the WSJ about it. Your trusted sources are still on the ole' saturated fat is dangerous for you, when inflammation is now considered more of a health factor for heart issues. They're not always right either. And doctors barely study nutrition—if at all.

Rausch 02-12-2018 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 13406389)
I believe in eating based on blood type and Atkins does not suit me or others well at all. There is no one size fits diet. Sorry disagree.

This.

I'm a huge fan of low carb/keto eating but not everyone can do it. Some people have medical conditions that prevent them from trying it. Keto doesn't cure everything (despite what advocates say.)

I did do a 10 day "water fast." (I ate nothing for 10 days - only took in fiber capsules, two multivitamins a day, and drank 0 calorie powerade for magnesium/potassium/salt.) I lost 20 lbs, I've kept it off for almost 6 months now, and was amazed how much better I felt.

BucEyedPea 02-12-2018 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 13413452)
This.

I'm a huge fan of low carb/keto eating but not everyone can do it. Some people have medical conditions that prevent them from trying it. Keto doesn't cure everything (despite what advocates say.)

I did do a 10 day "water fast." (I ate nothing for 10 days - only took in fiber capsules, two multivitamins a day, and drank 0 calorie powerade for magnesium/potassium/salt.) I lost 20 lbs, I've kept it off for almost 6 months now, and was amazed how much better I felt.

Fiber capsules? I never heard of those. Do they make your belly feel full enough so you feel somewhat satiated?

Rausch 02-12-2018 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 13413459)
Fiber capsules? I never heard of those. Do they make your belly feel full enough so you feel somewhat satiated?

That's a side effect, yes. More importantly it keeps you from getting constipated at first (first 3 days while food is still in your system) and other fates worse than watching a Chiefs home playoff game...

These are what I take (around $10.)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4147XDloUTL.jpg

BucEyedPea 02-12-2018 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 13413463)
That's a side effect, yes. More importantly it keeps you from getting constipated at first (first 3 days while food is still in your system) and other fates worse than watching a Chiefs home playoff game...

Interesting. I would think psyllium husks would do the same.

BucEyedPea 02-12-2018 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 13413452)
This.

I know of some men that ate one of those hi-carb lo-fat diets who still had heart attacks. Turned out they improved with a more hi-fat paleo diet, including allowing cream and butter instead. Cholesterol plunged, blood pressure improved etc. Sugar can create a problem for that and it also increased inflammation.
Inflammation is a factor that is being looked at more.

I've a cousin, who was slim her whole life, yet she ate lots of butter, actually her whole family, never dieted and pretty much ate what she wanted and still has never gained weight. She is always trying to stay up to 105 pounds at what I think is 5'2" or just under that. She just can't gain weight. It's her metabolism as well as the rest of them in that family.

ThaVirus 02-12-2018 11:30 AM

That's bullshit, dude. Her metabolism might be a little higher than the average but if she "just can't gain weight" she simply isn't eating enough or she's too active for the amount she is eating.

BWillie 02-12-2018 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 13412712)
There’s many ways to skin a cat.

It’s mostly about daily caloric intake vs what you’re burning. Accomplish that in any way you want and you’ll have success. The stuff that was incorrect was that eating every few hours kept your metabolism high. It really doesn’t matter. It’s just accomplishing calories in vs calories out. Don’t need to get cute with how you do it. Fasting shortens my feeding window and I take in less calories.

There is no truth that by eating larger meals you spike insulin levels causing more fat storage?

BucEyedPea 02-12-2018 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 13413733)
That's bullshit, dude. Her metabolism might be a little higher than the average but if she "just can't gain weight" she simply isn't eating enough or she's too active for the amount she is eating.

Nope. Her whole family is skinny. I think it's genetics but that's jmo.

If I ate what she ate, I'd gain 5-10 pounds easily.

BucEyedPea 02-12-2018 01:23 PM

In fact, Virus, this article seems to confirm what I have observed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7838668.stm

Frosty 02-12-2018 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13413787)
There is no truth that by eating larger meals you spike insulin levels causing more fat storage?

Insulin doesn't make you fat. Calories make you fat.

R8RFAN 02-12-2018 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 13413463)

Just make you up some good kale smoothies in the nutribullet you will be shitting a pile , kickin it over and starting a new one in no time at all

Kale
Unsweetened Almond Milk
5 blueberries
and a little stevia or xylitol
add a couple of ice cubes if you want it thicker

R8RFAN 02-12-2018 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 13413681)
I know of some men that ate one of those hi-carb lo-fat diets who still had heart attacks. Turned out they improved with a more hi-fat paleo diet, including allowing cream and butter instead. Cholesterol plunged, blood pressure improved etc. Sugar can create a problem for that and it also increased inflammation.
Inflammation is a factor that is being looked at more.

I've a cousin, who was slim her whole life, yet she ate lots of butter, actually her whole family, never dieted and pretty much ate what she wanted and still has never gained weight. She is always trying to stay up to 105 pounds at what I think is 5'2" or just under that. She just can't gain weight. It's her metabolism as well as the rest of them in that family.

My blood glucose numbers are very close to someone who is not Diabetic since I have been on this keto stuff

lewdog 02-12-2018 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 13413430)
Ah, the ole' you don't know science ad hom/ logical fallacy. That's odd, usually vegans criticize that book. My niece is a registered dietician. I don't have to go reading reams of scientific research. There's all kinds anyway, when it comes to food and nutrition and plenty of it contradicts other studies. There's lo fat, paleo such as Atkins, the Zone, Macro and on and on and on.

What I know is the list for my blood type, matches the list from my blood work by my allergy doctor. I don't rely on the book for one profile but as part of more factors including genetics. Plus, I feel better.

BTW your beloved NIH turned out to be wrong about parabens now that they're being removed from products for being found in biopsies of folks with skin and breast cancer. There was an article in the WSJ about it. Your trusted sources are still on the ole' saturated fat is dangerous for you, when inflammation is now considered more of a health factor for heart issues. They're not always right either. And doctors barely study nutrition—if at all.

If your registered dietician niece is prescribing diets based on blood type, I’d like her name so I can turn her in to the state board for malpractice.

Fish 02-12-2018 04:01 PM

Quote:

Ah, the ole' you don't know science ad hom/ logical fallacy. That's odd, usually vegans criticize that book.

Speaking of logical fallacies... let's go over a couple...

Quote:

My niece is a registered dietician. I don't have to go reading reams of scientific research. There's all kinds anyway, when it comes to food and nutrition and plenty of it contradicts other studies. There's lo fat, paleo such as Atkins, the Zone, Macro and on and on and on.

This one is called appeal to authority. You're ignoring reams of scientific research to satisfy your confirmation bias. You ignore the totality of scientific knowledge of the subject in favor of the outlying opinion of one person who's opinion you agree with.

Quote:

This fallacy is called False Cause.

Quote:

This one is a bit of Gambler's Fallacy and a bit of Ad Hominem. You think that because science was wrong about parabens(which itself is an incorrect statement), or saturated fat (also wrong), that they will be wrong about everything.

You are a poor critical thinker, convinced that you're the opposite. It's really a shame. Entertaining though....

ThaVirus 02-12-2018 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 13413931)
Nope. Her whole family is skinny. I think it's genetics but that's jmo.

If I ate what she ate, I'd gain 5-10 pounds easily.

Genetics play a role in literally everything, I wouldn't dispute that. But saying "she can eat whatever she wants and never get fat" is just shit fat people say to make themselves feel better about being fat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 13413941)
In fact, Virus, this article seems to confirm what I have observed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7838668.stm

You realize this proved nothing, right? Without recording every bit of information down to starting body composition and on to calories in/calories out there's no way to come to any legitimate conclusion that would bolster your argument.

TimeForWasp 02-13-2018 05:44 AM

Spoiler!

MrGiggity 02-20-2018 08:09 AM

Down five pounds since I started two weeks ago.

Hog's Gone Fishin 02-20-2018 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65TPT (Post 13414871)
Spoiler!

Yep, thats what I thought this thread was about. I need glasses. Anyway I started 2 weeks ago and don't have anymore problems with constipation.

Rausch 02-20-2018 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8RFAN (Post 13414109)
Just make you up some good kale smoothies in the nutribullet you will be shitting a pile , kickin it over and starting a new one in no time at all

Kale
Unsweetened Almond Milk
5 blueberries
and a little stevia or xylitol
add a couple of ice cubes if you want it thicker

I'd rather pack pine needles in my colon.

From bottom up...

Rausch 02-20-2018 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 13414045)
Insulin doesn't make you fat. Calories make you fat.

Wrong.

It's a combo of insulin and the type of calories you eat (sugar? Carbs? Fat? Protein?)

Titty Meat 02-20-2018 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 13427962)
Wrong.

It's a combo of insulin and the type of calories you eat (sugar? Carbs? Fat? Protein?)

It's impossible to get fat on a caloric deficit

Titty Meat 02-20-2018 11:33 PM

Rausch 02-20-2018 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 13427992)

No, it's not...

Titty Meat 02-20-2018 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 13427999)
No, it's not...

Proof?

Rausch 02-21-2018 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 13428019)
Proof?

When sugars and carbs are taken in what decides if those are stored or burned immediately?...

cooper barrett 02-21-2018 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 13427992)

You are so wrong... If you force your body into survival mode it will actually put fat in place of muscle. Yes, I
guess you would lose weight but just not lose fat.

Coogs 02-21-2018 06:08 AM

I've been doing this for right at 2 months now. Started right after Christmas. 24 pounds down. Weighed 211 this morning. Hopefully a month from now I can crack the 200 mark. I have not seen the low side of 200 in probably 25 years. Goal is in the 185-190 range.

My window is now between 10:30 AM and 6:30 PM for eating and drinking anything but water. My sleep is much better, as acid reflux was a huge nightly problem. That has pretty much disappeared from my life. I'm also on high blood pressure and cholesterol meds. Hoping to kick those to the curb in the near future too!

MrGiggity 02-21-2018 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 13428149)
I've been doing this for right at 2 months now. Started right after Christmas. 24 pounds down. Weighed 211 this morning. Hopefully a month from now I can crack the 200 mark. I have not seen the low side of 200 in probably 25 years. Goal is in the 185-190 range.

My window is now between 10:30 AM and 6:30 PM for eating and drinking anything but water. My sleep is much better, as acid reflux was a huge nightly problem. That has pretty much disappeared from my life. I'm also on high blood pressure and cholesterol meds. Hoping to kick those to the curb in the near future too!

Congrats! Are you working out as well?

Titty Meat 02-21-2018 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 13428039)
When sugars and carbs are taken in what decides if those are stored or burned immediately?...

Calories in Calories out. It's impossible to put on weight in a deficit.

NewChief 02-21-2018 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13428109)
You are so wrong... If you force your body into survival mode it will actually put fat in place of muscle. Yes, I
guess you would lose weight but just not lose fat.

There is a HUGE difference between eating below your BMR and going into starvation mode. In addition, when your body kicks into ketosis from fasting after a few days, it does burn fat, not muscle. Actually starving to the point of your body burning muscle is something that very, very few humans in first world countries experience and no one on this board needs to worry about most likely.

Frosty 02-21-2018 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 13427962)
Wrong.

Insulin is a red herring. You need to get out of the low carb echo chamber and look at the actual science. If you eat at a deficit, it doesn't matter, weight-wise, what you eat. You will lose weight. Low carb helps some people feel satiated, so they eat less and lose weight. Others do really well eating low fat, high carb. Google "Spud fit" for the guy that lost 120 pounds by eating nothing but plain potatoes for a year. Oh no, the insulinz!!!

The biggest key to losing weight is to find a diet you can stick with.

And the starvation makes you fatter thing is so much bullshit. No metabolic ward study has ever shown that effect. It comes from anecdotal stories by people lying about how much they really eat.

Frosty 02-21-2018 12:36 PM

BTW, I don't mean to be a dick about it (well, maybe a little) but I was involved in the low carb "scene" for years and years. In the beginning, when it was based on Atkins' writing, the whole idea was that low carb would keep you from being too hungry and overeating. Atkins claimed that high insulin could crash the blood sugar and make you really hungry. He said calories absolutely mattered and that if you weren't losing weight, you needed to cut back on cheese and nuts. He also thought that you lost extra calories by peeing out the ketones from being ketosis (which actually isn't true).

You also weren't supposed to stay on really low carb levels after the first two weeks. You added back carbs every week until you found a level you could still lose weight on (called climbing the carb ladder on Atkins).

The Gary Taubes came along and wrote "Good Calories, Bad Calories" and made the claim that high insulin trapped fat in the fat cells so people overeat because they are metabolically starving). Suddenly, in low carb circles, calories no longer mattered and it was all about insulin levels and keeping them as low as possible. That birthed keto where you even keep protein intake low because of the insulin. You even have people adding butter to their coffee and eating almost pure fat because of it.

The problem is that there is zero evidence of insulin trapping fat and Taubes was found to have misrepresented most of what his sources actually said. But by then, the idea that calories don't matter was firmly entrenched in low carb. If someone isn't losing weight, the advice is always cut carbs and protein as low as possible and "eat moar fat!!" which isn't helpful in the long run. You see over and over in other diet forums people that gained weight on keto and finally gave up. It's frustrating.

SuperBowl4 02-22-2018 09:51 AM

Life is short, eat often.

Bearcat 02-22-2018 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 13428567)
The Gary Taubes came along and wrote "Good Calories, Bad Calories" and made the claim that high insulin trapped fat in the fat cells so people overeat because they are metabolically starving). Suddenly, in low carb circles, calories no longer mattered and it was all about insulin levels and keeping them as low as possible. That birthed keto where you even keep protein intake low because of the insulin. You even have people adding butter to their coffee and eating almost pure fat because of it.

The problem is that there is zero evidence of insulin trapping fat and Taubes was found to have misrepresented most of what his sources actually said. But by then, the idea that calories don't matter was firmly entrenched in low carb. If someone isn't losing weight, the advice is always cut carbs and protein as low as possible and "eat moar fat!!" which isn't helpful in the long run. You see over and over in other diet forums people that gained weight on keto and finally gave up. It's frustrating.

Interesting... I've known people who have done keto, but don't pay attention to calories at all. Perhaps they don't care about the weight loss part of it, but one person in particular would talk about not losing weight while not tracking calories. Uh... yeah?

I'm a big fan of keto... far fewer cravings and found it pretty easy to lose the gut with a 500 calorie/day deficit. After that, it was about eliminating the really obvious carbs (not eating a Clif bar or two for breakfast or buying rice or pasta, etc.). And beer is carb free, right? :D

O.city 02-22-2018 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 13430049)
Interesting... I've known people who have done keto, but don't pay attention to calories at all. Perhaps they don't care about the weight loss part of it, but one person in particular would talk about not losing weight while not tracking calories. Uh... yeah?

I'm a big fan of keto... far fewer cravings and found it pretty easy to lose the gut with a 500 calorie/day deficit. After that, it was about eliminating the really obvious carbs (not eating a Clif bar or two for breakfast or buying rice or pasta, etc.). And beer is carb free, right? :D

The wife and I are currently doing Keto, not really for weight loss but just to see how it goes with systemic health.

Thru a month I feel great. No energy spikes and lows but constant energy and it’s helped me add some muscle in the weight room I think.

But **** I miss carbs. One of the girls in my office made a gooseberry cobbler and I almost passed out

Bearcat 02-22-2018 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13430068)
The wife and I are currently doing Keto, not really for weight loss but just to see how it goes with systemic health.

Thru a month I feel great. No energy spikes and lows but constant energy and it’s helped me add some muscle in the weight room I think.

But **** I miss carbs. One of the girls in my office made a gooseberry cobbler and I almost passed out

I've been surprised with working out, only once or twice have I felt like I probably needed some carbs to burn for a workout... granted, I'm usually on the higher end around 40-45g/day, while I know some people aim for 20-25g/day.

I didn't cheat at all for the first few months I was on it and went through the same withdrawals, and it really paid off (I live alone, which makes it easier, but we even have a freakin' dessert potluck at work like once a month). These days I kick myself out every once in a while after cheating (or like during the holidays, where I just say **** it), but I've played around with it some so I can cheat a little without having to go through the few days of hunger to get back.

cooper barrett 02-22-2018 12:20 PM

I have read a lot of diet books but for 30lb or more and lifestyle, I think that Doctors Michael and Mary Dan Eades program is dead on. 20 plus years later their facts are still facts. He was preaching Paleo before paleo was a thing. Simple. If man changes it, you should eat it sparingly. Since you could find berries in the morning eat berries in the morning. get all the nutrients from the food, eat clean animals: eat the marrow, brain and tongue.

Oh, and he knows something about food on paper and real life as he owns a company that makes Sous Vide equipment and has owned restaurants too..He also likes Jamison's, that's a big one...:D:D:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 13428567)
BTW, I don't mean to be a dick about it (well, maybe a little) but I was involved in the low carb "scene" for years and years. In the beginning, when it was based on Atkins' writing, the whole idea was that low carb would keep you from being too hungry and overeating. Atkins claimed that high insulin could crash the blood sugar and make you really hungry. He said calories absolutely mattered and that if you weren't losing weight, you needed to cut back on cheese and nuts. He also thought that you lost extra calories by peeing out the ketones from being ketosis (which actually isn't true).

You also weren't supposed to stay on really low carb levels after the first two weeks. You added back carbs every week until you found a level you could still lose weight on (called climbing the carb ladder on Atkins).

O.city 02-22-2018 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 13430147)
I've been surprised with working out, only once or twice have I felt like I probably needed some carbs to burn for a workout... granted, I'm usually on the higher end around 40-45g/day, while I know some people aim for 20-25g/day.

I didn't cheat at all for the first few months I was on it and went through the same withdrawals, and it really paid off (I live alone, which makes it easier, but we even have a freakin' dessert potluck at work like once a month). These days I kick myself out every once in a while after cheating (or like during the holidays, where I just say **** it), but I've played around with it some so I can cheat a little without having to go through the few days of hunger to get back.

Yeah, I haven't cheated yet but I do miss my sweets.

Frosty 02-22-2018 12:37 PM

My issue with keto is when protein and carbs are both kept really low. Even though you can mostly run on ketones, your brain still needs some glucose. Thyroid studies suggest that minimum level is around 50 grams a day. If you drop your carbs below that, you have to make up the difference through glyconeogenesis (converting protein to glucose). It takes roughly two grams of protein to make one gram of glucose. This means if you only eat 20 grams of carbs a day, it will take 60 grams of protein to make up the difference. If you don't also eat that much protein, then where does the glucose come from? Hint - your lean tissue.

Speaking of those thyroid studies, the studies show a consistent intake of under 50 g/day of carbs can (and probably will) lead to a depressed thyroid output, called Euthyroid Sick Syndrome.

My personal experience with it was doing a very low calorie keto diet for a year. Towards the end, I was cold all of the time, gained weight despite eating the same as when I was losing, chronic fatigue. My thyroid levels did not come back up when I added carbs back in and I have been on Levothyroxine for the last three years. It makes losing weight a bitch. I'm pretty pissed at myself for not considering that maybe doing a diet that mimics starvation might just have hormonal consequences.

People need to make their own decisions but it seems like a lot of people jump into keto with no idea what they're doing just because it's a hot diet right now.

One other thing to consider is that fat has almost zero nutrients in it so if that makes a big part of your diet, make sure you eat a lot of veggies to get some vitamins and minerals.

O.city 02-22-2018 12:41 PM

Yeah, I'm technically not doing keto because I'm eating a lot of protein. But it sounds fun to say. lol.

Frosty 02-22-2018 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13430162)
I I think that Doctors Michael and Mary Dan Eades program is dead on. 20 plus years later their facts are still facts.

http://i65.tinypic.com/33csugx.jpg

Coogs 02-22-2018 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGiggity (Post 13428194)
Congrats! Are you working out as well?

Thanks!

No. Not right now. I plan on starting to walk, and then jog in about a month when the weather warms up, and when the time "springs" forward. So it will be lighter at night when I get home form work.

MahiMike 02-22-2018 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 13430049)

Teach me how to count.

BWillie 04-05-2018 11:33 AM

Would like to get some more information about fasting and what ways to go about it to reduce your triglyceride level. I've heard fasting can reduce TG's quite a bit. How long should I fast? How often? The thing is, I don't want to lose weight. I'm 5'11'' and 178 lbs. I'd rather not be even more slender. I work out about once a week. I'm in my early 30's.

Last year suddenly my triglycerides jumped 100 points to 243. I thought it was just because I was coming off of a Las Vegas bender when I got my blood test done. Nonetheless, in the last year, I changed my diet for the better, quite drastically. While I do eat out all the time, I almost never go to traditional fast food places (chipolte (only chicken & brown rice, nothing else), whole foods to go bowls, panda express (only teryiaki chicken & brown rice). And when I do eat out, I make huge variations to my meals so that they are clean. I've also at least tripled the amount of fiber I consume. The only soda I drink is 2 energy drinks a week and the rest of the time water or La Croix sparkling water. No soda, ever. With that all said, I got my triglycerides checked again and they rose yet again to 263. It seems like whatever I do with my diet seems to not matter at all.

For breakfast I usually eat a Perfect Bar https://perfectbar.com/ & drink a La Croix sparkling water with no artificial sweetners or sugar. I'll snack on some cashews sometimes when I'm on the couch.

For lunch I'll eat either grilled chicken & brown rice, teriyaki salmon & brown rice w/ veggies, grilled chicken wrap with avocado, romaine. I'll have a avocado, almond, smoothie from Tropical Cafe twice a week. I never eat cheese. I don't put sauce on anything except teryiaki salmon. My food is all bland.

For supper my girlfriend cooks me food twice a week, so that is the least healthiest food I eat during the week. But it's usually just something like grilled chicken and baked potato, grilled pork chop & rice, chicken noodle soup, or at worst some spaghetti.

I'd say on avg I drink alcohol once a week sometimes I go 3-4 weeks without drinking, some weeks I'll drink twice, and I've switched to mainly red wine cuz that supposed to be healthier. On the weekends is the only time I don't really eat that well. I'll have something like steak and fries, ribs & fries, chicken fajita & chips. On occasion I'll have an ice creme concrete or something on a Saturday or Sunday. But usually there is only TWO meals a week that are like that. On Thursday and Saturday evenings I have an energy drink. That is it.

Pitt Gorilla 04-05-2018 11:50 AM

Oops. Read as intermittent fisting. Carry on.

Hog's Gone Fishin 04-05-2018 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13504316)
Would like to get some more information about fasting and what ways to go about it to reduce your triglyceride level. I've heard fasting can reduce TG's quite a bit. How long should I fast? How often? The thing is, I don't want to lose weight. I'm 5'11'' and 178 lbs. I'd rather not be even more slender. I work out about once a week. I'm in my early 30's.

Last year suddenly my triglycerides jumped 100 points to 243. I thought it was just because I was coming off of a Las Vegas bender when I got my blood test done. Nonetheless, in the last year, I changed my diet for the better, quite drastically. While I do eat out all the time, I almost never go to traditional fast food places (chipolte (only chicken & brown rice, nothing else), whole foods to go bowls, panda express (only teryiaki chicken & brown rice). And when I do eat out, I make huge variations to my meals so that they are clean. I've also at least tripled the amount of fiber I consume. The only soda I drink is 2 energy drinks a week and the rest of the time water or La Croix sparkling water. No soda, ever. With that all said, I got my triglycerides checked again and they rose yet again to 263. It seems like whatever I do with my diet seems to not matter at all.

For breakfast I usually eat a Perfect Bar https://perfectbar.com/ & drink a La Croix sparkling water with no artificial sweetners or sugar. I'll snack on some cashews sometimes when I'm on the couch.

For lunch I'll eat either grilled chicken & brown rice, teriyaki salmon & brown rice w/ veggies, grilled chicken wrap with avocado, romaine. I'll have a avocado, almond, smoothie from Tropical Cafe twice a week. I never eat cheese. I don't put sauce on anything except teryiaki salmon. My food is all bland.

For supper my girlfriend cooks me food twice a week, so that is the least healthiest food I eat during the week. But it's usually just something like grilled chicken and baked potato, grilled pork chop & rice, chicken noodle soup, or at worst some spaghetti.

I'd say on avg I drink alcohol once a week sometimes I go 3-4 weeks without drinking, some weeks I'll drink twice, and I've switched to mainly red wine cuz that supposed to be healthier. On the weekends is the only time I don't really eat that well. I'll have something like steak and fries, ribs & fries, chicken fajita & chips. On occasion I'll have an ice creme concrete or something on a Saturday or Sunday. But usually there is only TWO meals a week that are like that. On Thursday and Saturday evenings I have an energy drink. That is it.

You're full of shit. If thats your diet your triglycerides aren't 243. Unless it's the rice. rice is not good for you.

Try taking some fish oil.

BWillie 04-05-2018 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin (Post 13504790)
You're full of shit. If thats your diet your triglycerides aren't 243. Unless it's the rice. rice is not good for you.

Try taking some fish oil.

Thats literally exactly what I eat. Have very little healthy cholesterol, but dont have high cholesterol yet. 115/70 blood pressure but eventually I would imagine those numbers will all go up. I actually do take fish oil too, as of 8 months ago. Usually about 4 times a week and I forget on weekends.

MahiMike 04-05-2018 06:46 PM

Some folks just have naturally high cholesterol. My dad eats bacon and eggs every day and his is 150. I eat very healthy and mine is 250.

I don't really care. High cholesterol meds are a scam by the pharmaceutical companies.

Hog's Gone Fishin 04-05-2018 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13504893)
Thats literally exactly what I eat. Have very little healthy cholesterol, but dont have high cholesterol yet. 115/70 blood pressure but eventually I would imagine those numbers will all go up. I actually do take fish oil too, as of 8 months ago. Usually about 4 times a week and I forget on weekends.

You gotta be takin in something with high fructose corn syrup for it to be high. My wifes TG was over 500 but she drinks Dr.Pepper all ****ing day .Like a 3 liter bottle every day. The doc put her on fish oil and it cut in half but The root cause is the pop and she doesn't care enough to quit.

Hog's Gone Fishin 04-05-2018 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 13504910)
Some folks just have naturally high cholesterol. My dad eats bacon and eggs every day and his is 150. I eat very healthy and mine is 250.

I don't really care. High cholesterol meds are a scam by the pharmaceutical companies.

My cholesterol always,always has run 280, no matter my diet. I can't tolerate statins so I qualified for Praluent which cut it in half. But my triglycerides have always been under 100 because I eat healthy fat in my diet regularly. Salmon,avacados,almonds and olive oil to cook.

BWillie 04-06-2018 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin (Post 13504990)
You gotta be takin in something with high fructose corn syrup for it to be high. My wifes TG was over 500 but she drinks Dr.Pepper all ****ing day .Like a 3 liter bottle every day. The doc put her on fish oil and it cut in half but The root cause is the pop and she doesn't care enough to quit.

Why kind of fish oil? I just take some fish oil in gel capsule from Target.

I intentionally never drink anything with high fructose corn syrup. I just drink lots of Key Lime La Croix. Even the two energy drinks I drink a week have no high fructose corn syrup. I guess Ill keep trying and see if it will go down by 2019, otherwise I guess Ill have to go to the dr and get those cancer causing trygliceride lowering medicine.

rabblerouser 04-06-2018 05:31 AM

The only time I eat is if I haven't eaten the day before.

teedubya 07-12-2018 05:24 PM

I've been doing an extended fast, and cleaning up my system.

I've currently gone 282 hours without a solid meal. I've been only drinking water with electrolytes and chicken bone broth.

My brain has been very clear and extremely focused. My productivity has been through the charts.

After I break this fast on Sunday, I'll do one meal a day for 5 days a week and then whatever on the weekends.

I'll also do at least a three day fast each month from now on. It's really good for your body. Especially when you hit autophagy.

ThaVirus 07-12-2018 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teedubya (Post 13625965)

I've currently gone 282 hours without a solid meal. I've been only drinking water with electrolytes and chicken bone broth.

My brain has been very clear and extremely focused. My productivity has been through the charts.

After I break this fast on Sunday, I'll do one meal a day for 5 days a week and then whatever on the weekends.

I'll also do at least a three day fast each month from now on. It's really good for your body. Especially when you hit autophagy.

Seems excessive.

I'm assuming you're taking multivitamins to supplement this broth? What are you weighing these days?

Hog's Gone Fishin 07-12-2018 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teedubya (Post 13625965)

Holy shit. Thats 11.75 days . And what the hell is autophagy ? Sounds gay?

Edit: never mind, it's not gey. https://idmprogram.com/fasting-and-a...gy-fasting-25/

Although I'd like to hear more about how you prepare your bone broth.

MahiMike 07-12-2018 07:44 PM

I've lost 10 lbs recently by doing the Fit Father's Program. Basically I eat a lot of water. Smoothie around noon, sandwich at 3:00 dinner at 7:00.

I'm addicted to water now.

lewdog 07-12-2018 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 13626042)
Seems excessive.

I'm assuming you're taking multivitamins to supplement this broth? What are you weighing these days?

It is excessive. There's no reason to do these longs fasts or cleanses. If you like doing them and you think they make you feel good, fine.

Better plan is learning to eat right to lose weight (read bodyfat). Learn to exercise and maintain some muscle mass and keep your bodyfat in check.

Those I hear about or see doing theses long fasts or cleanses are usually overweight people grasping at what they hope is the next miracle fix in a long line of their failed attempts.

Tribal Warfare 07-12-2018 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 13626067)

I'm addicted to water now.

add brewed unsweetened green tea, and 5 Hour Energy Extra Strength for me on my low calorie rest days.

scho63 07-12-2018 10:02 PM

I'm stuck at around a 65-70 pound weight loss when I want to loss a total of 90-100. I'm tempted to do another long water only fast to break below a certain weight level.

Danguardace 07-13-2018 04:38 AM

I've progressed from the 16:8/18:6 to now One Meal A Day (OMAD)

Which I found surprisingly easy.

Couch-Potato 07-13-2018 04:44 AM

Tried this for about a month and went well. I work out 3 days a week and would have protein shake in the am on those days but complete fast from 8pm-noon on other days. Go for it, key is to try and get a bit of cardio work in during the early am and then make sure that first meal is super clean.

Eureka 07-13-2018 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 13626082)
It is excessive. There's no reason to do these longs fasts or cleanses. If you like doing them and you think they make you feel good, fine.

A 7 day water only fast cured my digestive issue I’d been having the past few years. I’m a trim dude with some muscle and fasting was a great experience physically as well as mentally. I’d recommend it to anyone but I’m sure it’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

Rausch 07-13-2018 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eureka (Post 13626445)
A 7 day water only fast cured my digestive issue I’d been having the past few years. I’m a trim dude with some muscle and fasting was a great experience physically as well as mentally. I’d recommend it to anyone but I’m sure it’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

I did a 10 day and it was the best I've slept in years.

I'll be doing another starting the 15th. My insomnia is killing me lately...

Hog's Gone Fishin 07-13-2018 08:20 AM

Thinking about doing the 7 day Vodka challenge.

SuperBowl4 07-13-2018 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin (Post 13504990)

Tell her to mix that Dr Pepper with JAMESON IRISH WHISKEY but not all ****ing day :BLVD:

Dante84 07-13-2018 11:34 AM

Didn't read the thread, but has anyone made an "Intermittent Fisting" joke yet?

Tribal Warfare 07-13-2018 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danguardace (Post 13626421)

1000-1200 calories is my threshold when I'm cutting weight. so I can getaway with 2 meals.

teedubya 07-13-2018 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 13626082)

Better plan is learning to eat right to lose weight (read bodyfat). Learn to exercise and maintain some muscle mass and keep your bodyfat in check.

Those I hear about or see doing theses long fasts or cleanses are usually overweight people grasping at what they hope is the next miracle fix in a long line of their failed attempts.

I am exercising quite a bit... my upper body is gaining a lot of strength.

Fasting has happened for 1000s of years. Our body isn't meant to be a in fed-state all of the time. You're running narratives.

Fasting is the best medicine. The only reason they are demonized, is because if everyone fasted, the poor food companies would lose money. Oh, and pharmaceutical companies like to prescribe medications instead of cleaning out your system regularly.

Do your research, please.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...ittent-fasting

teedubya 07-13-2018 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danguardace (Post 13626421)

Good for you. The latest research is you can do OMAD for five days, and then on the weekends do what you want, and you get the same benefits.

https://www.reelhouse.org/revenuereserve/fasting

Danguardace 07-13-2018 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teedubya (Post 13627051)
Good for you. The latest research is you can do OMAD for five days, and then on the weekends do what you want, and you get the same benefits.

https://www.reelhouse.org/revenuereserve/fasting

Pretty much what I do, I have breakfast with my wife on Saturday mornings. Sunday's ill probably do 16:8