ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Thanksgiving 2017 food (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=311518)

Frosty 11-15-2017 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13218055)
Ever had speggitti squash?

Yes. It's better than most but I still didn't care for it.

By the way, if someone is like me and doesn't like pumpkin but does like pumpkin pie spices, canned yams can be used instead of pumpkin in pumpkin pie recipes and it makes an amazing pie.

MOhillbilly 11-15-2017 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13217274)
Looks like an interesting rig I bet that thing could make for a hell of a clam bake.

http://www.porkportal.com/store/p88/Smoke_Pistol.html

I purchased the smoke pistol and the top racks. I've yet to use to smoker during a cook. So far Ive been very pleased and it turns out a lot of product with minimal effort.

MOhillbilly 11-15-2017 12:23 PM

Quote:

I use the crap out of it, really good for you. I stocked up at .69 a lb.

https://www.artfrommytable.com/wp-co...Table-Bh-4.jpg

I grew a couple hundred pounds of spaghetti squash this season. I like to cook it off scrape it out and crisp it on a griddle like potato cakes

MOhillbilly 11-15-2017 12:28 PM

Dumpling squash are the only way to fly for a sweet acorn type . Wing gourds are not edible.

MOhillbilly 11-15-2017 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 13217746)
What? then you are doing it wrong. Roasted Butternut squash is freakin awesome and can be added to a number of other things to make a great side. Puree it for soup, add pecans for a nutty sweet crunch, mash it, etc. Same goes for several other squash.

I peel them dice em up put the dice on a cookie sheet in the oven till the edges are crispy. Fanatical.

raybec 4 11-15-2017 12:33 PM

Killed my Turkey on the 7th, I'll be frying that,I'll make sausage stuffing and and the wife will make some home made beer rolls,pumpkin cheesecake, sweet potato pie, and my brother is bringing everything else.

cooper barrett 11-15-2017 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly (Post 13218074)
I purchased the smoke pistol and the top racks. I've yet to use to smoker during a cook. So far Ive been very pleased and it turns out a lot of product with minimal effort.

I am working on a cold smoker and seeing the pistol made me go back to the drawing board.

Does the pistol stay attached all the time? I'd like to see the panels and how it is attached. It certainly looks like 2 person job.

ptlyon 11-15-2017 12:50 PM

This reminds me of the band Squashing Pumpkins

ptlyon 11-15-2017 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 13218096)
Killed my Turkey on the 7th, I'll be frying that,I'll make sausage stuffing and and the wife will make some home made beer rolls,pumpkin cheesecake, sweet potato pie, and my brother is bringing everything else.

🤔

cooper barrett 11-15-2017 12:57 PM

Quote:

He said sausage stuffing:drool::drool::drool:

MOhillbilly 11-15-2017 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13218112)
I am working on a cold smoker and seeing the pistol made me go back to the drawing board.

Does the pistol stay attached all the time? I'd like to see the panels and how it is attached. It certainly looks like 2 person job.

It has a threaded portion for the " barrel " inside the cooker is the female end. The only modifications is drilling a hole through the outer plywood. Piece of cake. I'm gonna cold smoke cheese and peppers for ancho.
If a guy wanted to he could seat it with washers and hex nuts or run a nfs hose to what ever smoke box you'd use.

MOhillbilly 11-15-2017 01:01 PM

Quote:

Heritage or double breasted commercial breed?

tooge 11-15-2017 01:31 PM

Quote:

I use the crap out of it, really good for you. I stocked up at .69 a lb.

https://www.artfrommytable.com/wp-co...Table-Bh-4.jpg

that looks great, and I use it quite a bit also. My go to is olive oil, lemon juice, capers, basil and mushrooms sauteed together until the shrooms are a tad soft. Then toss the spaghetti squash in. Pretty healthy and very tasty.

cooper barrett 11-15-2017 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly (Post 13218163)
It has a threaded portion for the " barrel " inside the cooker is the female end. The only modifications is drilling a hole through the outer plywood. Piece of cake. I'm gonna cold smoke cheese and peppers for ancho.
If a guy wanted to he could seat it with washers and hex nuts or run a nfs hose to what ever smoke box you'd use.

OK

There os a fitting made into the outer shell that has internal threads the "pistol screws into. I was under the impression that the sign boards were like a composite material like Hardie Board but plywood? HMMM

So they drilled a hole in the signboard for the pistol (or you did) and I assume that when the pistil is not attached there is a plug?

How big is the inlet? Only one picture and none showing the handle.

MOhillbilly 11-15-2017 04:48 PM

It is composite. I think it's 1/2 in but isn't sae/metric. I think he said it was a gas fitting. La caja china probably has more info since it is actually a product they distribute.

cooper barrett 11-15-2017 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly (Post 13218548)
It is composite. I think it's 1/2 in but isn't sae/metric. I think he said it was a gas fitting. La caja china probably has more info since it is actually a product they distribute.

looks like your dead on, their site showed pic and it's$10 cheaper:D:D:D:D:D

I have a gofer killer I no longer use...

http://www.undergroundexterm.com/images/productpic.jpg

and 25 ft of this hose

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1091_.jpg

I have both!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D

Clyde Frog 11-15-2017 05:35 PM

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-y...1-f8ee9f2ba8cc

cooper barrett 11-15-2017 06:02 PM

King turrab?

If you look at the bottom center

Theres a big pile of blow!!! crab legs for straws?

lewdog 11-15-2017 06:04 PM

Spaghetti squash is delicious. I could eat it with just butter on it.

I'd make something with that. It's easy to cook as well.

Fire Me Boy! 11-20-2017 09:54 AM

I built Alton Brown's turkey derrick over the weekend. Did a trial run with a chicken yesterday. Holy crap, if fried turkey is as good as that chicken was...

Pablo 11-20-2017 10:06 AM

Fried turkey is pretty damn good stuff.

cooper barrett 11-20-2017 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 13228540)
I built Alton Brown's turkey derrick over the weekend. Did a trial run with a chicken yesterday. Holy crap, if fried turkey is as good as that chicken was...

I just use a ladder... Fried birds are aways good, I am wondering about duck. Anyone?

chiefsgogo 11-21-2017 08:54 AM

Prime rib.

Pepe Silvia 11-21-2017 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 13228540)

He's a genius. "Good Eats" is the best cooking show of all-time imo.

RunKC 11-22-2017 12:05 AM

Anyone ever have sweet potato cornbread? It's the one thing I always look forward to at Thanksgiving.

Also, we've gone out for Thanksgiving twice. We went to Cracker Barrell both times, which has a nice Thanksgiving meal they put on every year. I'm definitely a fan.

TimBone 11-22-2017 02:09 AM

Decided to stick to a small traditional dinner with just me, my wife, and son. I'm smoking the turkey and the wife will handle the sides and desserts. The kid will help where needed.

Got the turkey in a brine now:

Water
Salt
Sugar
Orange slices
Lemon slices
Lime slices
Onion
Garlic
Thyme

First time I've used that brine, but it smelled fantastic on the stove.

I think the sides are corn, mashed potatoes & gravy, biscuits, green bean casserole, Mac n cheese, and pumpkin pie for dessert. Pretty simple, but I'm looking forward to a small thanksgiving at home for the first time in a while. We're usually traveling to family or going to a friend's house.

TimBone 11-22-2017 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 13232341)
Anyone ever have sweet potato cornbread? It's the one thing I always look forward to at Thanksgiving.

Also, we've gone out for Thanksgiving twice. We went to Cracker Barrell both times, which has a nice Thanksgiving meal they put on every year. I'm definitely a fan.

Sweet potato cornbread sounds different. I'd definitely try it.

KCrockaholic 11-22-2017 02:12 AM

Have a good one TimBone, sometimes staying home for Thanksgiving is for the best. I'm basically doing the same this year. Going to see my great grandmother at her retirement home, but otherwise, dinner is at home this year. Which reminds me, I need to get some whiskey before the stores close.

luv 11-22-2017 10:29 AM

Boyfriend is preparing turkey porchetta. I don't know what all it involves, but he got stuffing, cranberries, figs, mushrooms, and prosciutto. He put it in to brine last night.

I am making pumpkin pie tonight, and I'm in charge of potatoes tomorrow.

Papasmurf (or my dad, for those who don't remember him on here) is bringing green bean casserole and bread out of his bread machine.

Just three of us and a toddler, so I think we'll have plenty. :)

Why Not? 11-22-2017 10:36 AM

Just myself the Mrs and the two kiddos. We normally travel but this will be the second time it's just the four of us. Can't wait. Menu:

Turkey, ham, stuffing, rolls, GB casserole, mashed with gravy, sweet potatoes, cranberries, homemade apple and pumpkin pie with homemade salted caramel ice cream. Hoping to gain about 20 pounds.

ptlyon 11-22-2017 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Why Not? (Post 13232690)
Hoping to gain about 20 pounds.

I think you're gonna

Easy 6 11-22-2017 10:53 AM

Moms doing the traditional layout this year... roast turkey, stuffing, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes with turkey gravy, scalloped corn, rolls

Lzen 11-22-2017 11:07 AM

I am trying my hand at deep frying a turkey this year. It's 16lbs. Any advice from the pros on this would be welcome.

Why Not? 11-22-2017 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 13232696)
I think you're gonna

Sweet!

Easy 6 11-22-2017 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimBone (Post 13232419)
Decided to stick to a small traditional dinner with just me, my wife, and son. I'm smoking the turkey and the wife will handle the sides and desserts. The kid will help where needed.

Water
Salt
Sugar
Orange slices
Lemon slices
Lime slices
Onion
Garlic
Thyme

I think the sides are corn, mashed potatoes & gravy, biscuits, green bean casserole, Mac n cheese, and pumpkin pie for dessert. Pretty simple, but I'm looking forward to a small thanksgiving at home for the first time in a while. We're usually traveling to family or going to a friend's house.

That brine sounds top shelf

Fire Me Boy! 11-22-2017 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 13232779)
I am trying my hand at deep frying a turkey this year. It's 16lbs. Any advice from the pros on this would be welcome.

Cook it frozen.

Fill your container with oil.

Drop it fast.

Don't listen to any of this.

ptlyon 11-22-2017 11:14 AM

Quote:

What could possibly go wrong?

raybec 4 11-22-2017 11:31 AM

Quote:

Make sure it's completely frozen when you put it in, that's the best.

dlphg9 11-22-2017 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 13232789)
Cook it frozen.

Fill your container with oil.

Drop it fast.

Don't listen to any of this.

Don't forget to cook it in the house. Don't wanna expose the turkey to the elements

In58men 11-22-2017 11:53 AM

Green Bean Casserole

Mashed Potatoes

Macaroni salad

Ham

luv 11-22-2017 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 13232679)
Boyfriend is preparing turkey porchetta. I don't know what all it involves, but he got stuffing, cranberries, figs, mushrooms, and prosciutto. He put it in to brine last night.

I am making pumpkin pie tonight, and I'm in charge of potatoes tomorrow.

Papasmurf (or my dad, for those who don't remember him on here) is bringing green bean casserole and bread out of his bread machine.

Just three of us and a toddler, so I think we'll have plenty. :)

I stand corrected. The boyfriend is making turkey ballotine.

cooper barrett 11-22-2017 02:31 PM

Let us know how that acidic brine works for you?

I bought 4 ducks and 2 Honeysuckle white birds ($.34lb) when they were on sale so I will be smokin/ frying birds in the spring, until then they enjoy the freezer. I picked up a couple of green hams from my upscale butcher, great price, one I will freeze and the other will brine in the fridge of the RV for 36 hours and get smoked in AZ. Brine is nothing fancy but lots of clove embedded into the meat.
I am hoping to stud it with hab. pepper chunks but the SO does and will make an opinion known on that her opinion counts. I wannas try ghost peppers but not only is she hot but she knows how to fight dirty. Not going to take that chance.

Have a great T-Day. Make some memories....

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimBone (Post 13232419)

Water
Salt
Sugar
Orange slices
Lemon slices
Lime slices
Onion
Garlic
Thyme

hometeam 11-22-2017 03:15 PM

My mom moved to alabama this year, my sister has her own family and kids and is kind of a stuck up bitch, and my brother is doing stuff with his girlfriends family. My ladys family are all going to arkansas so that leaves just me, her, and my 5 year old.

We decided instead of doing all the work we are just going to go to fogo de Chao on the plaza instead. Brazilian thanksgiving here we come!

https://fogodechao.com/sites/default...ct17_fnl_9.jpg

ptlyon 11-22-2017 03:18 PM

Need a picture of the bitch to be certain

Rain Man 11-22-2017 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 13233172)
My mom moved to alabama this year, my sister has her own family and kids and is kind of a stuck up bitch, and my brother is doing stuff with his girlfriends family. My ladys family are all going to arkansas so that leaves just me, her, and my 5 year old.

We decided instead of doing all the work we are just going to go to fogo de Chao on the plaza instead. Brazilian thanksgiving here we come!

If the pilgrims had landed in Brazil, I would live in the middle of the Amazon.

Rain Man 11-22-2017 03:20 PM

I'm having Thanksgiving dinner at my father-in-law's assisted living home. I assume that it will be a traditional Thanksgiving meal but without any crunchy things.

cooper barrett 11-22-2017 04:47 PM

Quote:

There are far better places to be had....

cooper barrett 11-22-2017 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 13233179)
Need a picture of the bitch to be certain

Happy?

http://www.dogscatspets.org/wp-conte...7101058269.jpg

scho63 11-22-2017 05:52 PM

Quote:

Sounds like a great plan! :clap:

Hope it all turns out well.

TimBone 11-22-2017 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCrockaholic (Post 13232421)
Have a good one TimBone, sometimes staying home for Thanksgiving is for the best. I'm basically doing the same this year. Going to see my great grandmother at her retirement home, but otherwise, dinner is at home this year. Which reminds me, I need to get some whiskey before the stores close.

Nice! Have a good one, man! What's your whiskey?

Hammock Parties 11-22-2017 06:24 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DPRdCKFVoAA0BC3.jpg

ChiTown 11-22-2017 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 13233562)

That looks like someone shit on a plate

frozenchief 11-22-2017 07:43 PM

Not cooking for the first time in almost 20 years. Going over to a friend's house. I'll make some stuffing and a pecan pie but that's pretty low key for me.

I traditionally make egg nog the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I put in enough whiskey and rum that it won't go bad and I age it until Christmas. Makes it really smooth and a great after dinner treat for Christmas dinner.

Anybody else make and/or age egg nog?

Buzz 11-22-2017 07:44 PM

Premade cornbread dressing tonight, prolly looks like poo too.

.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...d1d1290d02.jpg

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Fire Me Boy! 11-22-2017 07:46 PM

Thanksgiving 2017 food

Quote:

Originally Posted by frozenchief (Post 13233639)
Not cooking for the first time in almost 20 years. Going over to a friend's house. I'll make some stuffing and a pecan pie but that's pretty low key for me.

I traditionally make egg nog the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I put in enough whiskey and rum that it won't go bad and I age it until Christmas. Makes it really smooth and a great after dinner treat for Christmas dinner.

Anybody else make and/or age egg nog?

I have about a quart left from two years ago. It's awesome.

Check this out: http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=296341

Frazod 11-22-2017 09:24 PM

Here's my contribution: made-from-scratch butterscotch pie. Just like grandma used to make. :thumb:

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...5a&oe=5AD54BE2

eDave 11-22-2017 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13233761)
Here's my contribution: made-from-scratch butterscotch pie. Just like grandma used to make. :thumb:

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...5a&oe=5AD54BE2

Damn. That's beautiful man.

Frazod 11-22-2017 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 13233811)
Damn. That's beautiful man.

Thanks. If the bowl and saucepan are any indication, it turned out pretty much perfect.

DaNewGuy 11-22-2017 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 13233562)

Gay day at Boston market?

cooper barrett 11-22-2017 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 13233644)
I have about a quart left from two years ago. It's awesome.

Check this out: http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=296341

Why screw up all that booze with milk,egg yokes, and sugar?

RJ 11-22-2017 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13233181)
I'm having Thanksgiving dinner at my father-in-law's assisted living home. I assume that it will be a traditional Thanksgiving meal but without any crunchy things.

No silverware, a straw is all you'll need.

RJ 11-22-2017 11:40 PM

Dry brining the turkey with just kosher salt, then oven roast. I've done dry brine with chicken on the smoker and liked the results. Seems like this should work equally well. If not.....plenty of sides and desserts.

cooper barrett 11-22-2017 11:47 PM

I've dry brined birds for a long time, just started wet brining when restricting salts.

Rain Man 11-23-2017 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ (Post 13233901)
No silverware, a straw is all you'll need.

I hope the gravy's not lumpy.

RJ 11-23-2017 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13233921)
I hope the gravy's not lumpy.

You'll love the Thanksgiving shake.

hometeam 11-23-2017 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13233422)
There are far better places to be had....

its my gfs favorite joint and its on the plaza~

We like it.

Titty Meat 11-23-2017 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13217653)

Damn that does sound good

KCUnited 11-23-2017 06:53 AM

Happy Gout Day, CP

Rasputin 11-23-2017 06:56 AM

I'm thankful for fat bottom girls that makes the world go round.

Fire Me Boy! 11-23-2017 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 13233978)
Happy Gout Day, CP

Allopurinol take my cares away!

ptlyon 11-23-2017 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 13233982)
Allopurinol take my cares away!

Buck fiddy here

Fire Me Boy! 11-23-2017 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 13234019)
Buck fiddy here

I don't know what this means.

ptlyon 11-23-2017 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 13234021)
I don't know what this means.

150 mg a day

cooper barrett 11-23-2017 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 13233929)
its my gfs favorite joint and its on the plaza~

We like it.

Yes, the Plaza for lighting is always fun.
And how do you not like the GF's fav places, The place I was thinking of is closed for the holiday.

Enjoy.

Fire Me Boy! 11-23-2017 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 13234024)
150 mg a day

Ah! 200 here.

Easy 6 11-23-2017 09:53 AM

Hope all of you esteemed gentlemen have a great one!

My big turkey day is tomorrow, the logistics of getting both kids here today proved insurmountable... so its just me, the football, and the booze :D

Fire Me Boy! 11-23-2017 11:06 AM

Turkey resting while I finish the rest of the sides.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...179e2f6e36.jpg

Rasputin 11-23-2017 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 13234242)

When can I come over?

Fire Me Boy! 11-23-2017 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 13234290)
When can I come over?

Any time. No guarantees there's any left.

cooper barrett 11-23-2017 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 13234242)

Looks great!