ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV FOX & MacFarlane's The Orville (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=307754)

hometeam 09-13-2017 08:06 PM

I dunno that chick but I cant quit staring at that mole just SMACK DAB right between her eyes, I mean COME ON!~

But really, it was decent, I will continue to watch to see where it goes.

Frazod 09-13-2017 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 13079535)
I dunno that chick but I cant quit staring at that mole just SMACK DAB right between her eyes, I mean COME ON!~

But really, it was decent, I will continue to watch to see where it goes.

Heh. Yeah, I noticed that as well. Especially in the last scene.

But **** she's hot. :drool:

sully1983 09-13-2017 08:34 PM

Not a fan of this show but I'll give props to Seth for banging the dragon lady from GoT.
http://img.usmagazine.com/480-width/...1bcf4e3032.jpg

Discuss Thrower 09-13-2017 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 13078050)
Its interesting you thought of Castle. I always associate her with 24.

Even in 24 I still saw her as Kassidy Yates.

DaneMcCloud 09-13-2017 11:16 PM

I finally had a chance to watch it tonight. It was pretty much as expected, before all of the negative critics chimed in.

It's basically Star Trek with a touch of humor. It's actually pretty silly that Paramount didn't license the Star Trek name to Seth MacFarlane for the show because it really walks a fine line between their IP and his new program.

I don't know if there's a large enough audience to sustain the budget of this show but if there is, I'd expect it only improve over time.

hometeam 09-14-2017 07:20 AM

https://i.makeagif.com/media/9-30-2015/U0i68o.gif

BlackHelicopters 09-14-2017 07:40 AM

Was this supposed to be funny? Because it wasn't .

alnorth 09-17-2017 09:29 PM

This was a really good episode. The critics are both out of touch and ****ing reeruned.

alnorth 09-17-2017 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 13078490)
I never thought there would be a more boring show than Star Trek Next Generation - the Orville as set a new bar.

Your opinion is both idiotic and wrong

Chiefspants 09-17-2017 09:31 PM

I think a lot of the critics of this show don't exactly remember what the original Star Trek was.

alnorth 09-17-2017 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop (Post 13079935)
Was this supposed to be funny? Because it wasn't .

This was a good show, you are stupid. Sorry, the discovery that you are in fact stupid is going to be jarring, but its true.

Bowser 09-17-2017 09:47 PM

SO yeah, had the DVR set to record it, and got the end of the delayed Cowboys/Broncos game instead. :shake:

Frazod 09-18-2017 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 13089071)
SO yeah, had the DVR set to record it, and got the end of the delayed Cowboys/Broncos game instead. :shake:

THIS! :#:#:#:#:#

Tried to watch it tonight after getting home from Kansas City.

Wouldn't have sucked so much if that game had turned out differently.

:cuss:

Dartgod 09-18-2017 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13090840)
THIS! :#:#:#:#:#

Tried to watch it tonight after getting home from Kansas City.

Wouldn't have sucked so much if that game had turned out differently.

:cuss:

I set mine to record 1 hour extra in case football runs long. I liked this episode better than the pilot.

Frazod 09-18-2017 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DartMod (Post 13090917)
I set mine to record 1 hour extra in case football runs long. I liked this episode better than the pilot.

I just had it set on season pass, didn't think about the whole Sunday thing. Can't remember the last time I recorded a Sunday TV show.

Oh well. I'll know next time. And it's not like there aren't other ways to watch it.

DaneMcCloud 09-18-2017 09:17 PM

FoxNow App has their episodes.

4k, too.

Frazod 09-18-2017 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13091013)

4k, too.

Thanks.

:thumb:

kjwood75nro 09-18-2017 10:09 PM

A better episode than the pilot.

The plot reminded me of the Futurama episode where the romantic getaway vacation was a secret zoo exhibit for the simian world.

007 09-18-2017 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13091013)

4k, too.

On Hulu as well. Thats where I had to turn to get it since two of my three most hated teams had to **** things up.

BWillie 09-18-2017 10:19 PM

This show is going to get cancelled after 2 seasons, or 1.

Frazod 09-18-2017 10:49 PM

Frankly I liked the first episode better. This felt like a middling Voyager episode splattered with way too many pop culture references.

Dartgod 09-19-2017 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13091006)
I just had it set on season pass, didn't think about the whole Sunday thing. Can't remember the last time I recorded a Sunday TV show.

Oh well. I'll know next time. And it's not like there aren't other ways to watch it.

It's moving to Thursdays anyway so it won't be an issue anymore.

Frazod 09-19-2017 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DartMod (Post 13091294)
It's moving to Thursdays anyway so it won't be an issue anymore.

Good.

BlackHelicopters 09-19-2017 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 13089060)
This was a good show, you are stupid. Sorry, the discovery that you are in fact stupid is going to be jarring, but its true.

Don't understand the personal attack. **** off , Al.

Lzen 09-19-2017 03:29 PM

I am enjoying this show. Of course, I always like the Star Trek series'. And I like Seth McFarlane as long as he doesn't try to inject current politics. But yeah, it will probably get canceled. Most space sci fi type shows that I like get canceled. The masses would prefer to watch another crappy sitcom or a lawyer/cop/hospital/fireman show.

DaneMcCloud 09-19-2017 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 13092074)
I am enjoying this show. Of course, I always like the Star Trek series'. And I like Seth McFarlane as long as he doesn't try to inject current politics. But yeah, it will probably get canceled. Most space sci fi type shows that I like get canceled. The masses would prefer to watch another crappy sitcom or a lawyer/cop/hospital/fireman show.

The ratings have been really good so far so I doubt it's in trouble.

Plus, the order was for 13 episodes so that's a lock.

Beef Supreme 09-19-2017 03:39 PM

I fell asleep during the first episode, and didn't watch the second. Unless I start hearing how awesome it is, I'm out.

Dartgod 09-19-2017 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet (Post 13092090)
I fell asleep during the first episode, and didn't watch the second. Unless I start hearing how awesome it is, I'm out.

It's awesome.

Fire Me Boy! 09-19-2017 04:20 PM

Replay tonight at 8 CT.

MahiMike 09-19-2017 07:33 PM

This guy is not funny. Just vulgar.

Sure-Oz 09-19-2017 09:42 PM

Watched the second episode...I'll give it a shot

DaneMcCloud 09-20-2017 09:53 AM

I liked the second episode. It was definitely more Star Trek-style Sci-Fi and thought the pop culture references at the end were witty.

I also like how they kind of answered the "Will they or won't they?" vibe between Ed and Kelly. I don't think that should be a plot point for a successful Sci-Fi series and it looks like they effectively shut it down.

keg in kc 09-20-2017 04:32 PM

I finally watched it today. It's pretty much the McDonald's version of Star Trek. Light, harmless, written for the masses, not particularly fulfilling in any way. Safe. I'm not sure how they've avoided a lawsuit from Paramount, so much is just blatently ripped-off from various Trek iterations. That's not to say it's bad, per se - it's okay for what it is. I'll keep watching, but at the same time wouldn't care all that much if it got canceled. I definitely don't see any long-term value to it, it's not something that's going to generate any cultural impact or nostalgia. Not in its current form, at least. As far as a thumbs-up or -down, I can't really generate much more than a shrug.

crayzkirk 09-21-2017 03:51 PM

Second episode was better than the first. I'm sure the failed relationship will remain as a main theme. Nice to have the show concentrate on developing a different character. Also got the end of the Donkey game and had to watch the on Demand version will all the commercials.

Thursday might be better, at least gives me an option other than the pitiful NFL game.

They could have gone a little skimpier on the outfit as well...

unlurking 09-22-2017 08:44 PM

Ugh. Episode 3 was a preachy crapfest.

DaneMcCloud 09-22-2017 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 13097017)

The original Star Trek was like that, too.

Race relations were a huge aspect of TOS.

kjwood75nro 09-22-2017 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 13097017)

Well, it IS a Seth MacFarlane production.

unlurking 09-23-2017 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13097103)
The original Star Trek was like that, too.

Race relations were a huge aspect of TOS.

Not this bad. At least not the way I remember it, although it has been many years since I watched TOS.

This episode felt more like really bad fan fic. The jokes were flat too. Worst episode so far.

DaneMcCloud 09-23-2017 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 13097243)
Not this bad. At least not the way I remember it, although it has been many years since I watched TOS.

This episode felt more like really bad fan fic. The jokes were flat too. Worst episode so far.

I think it was actually considerably worse, in terms of societal issues..

At a time when there were race riots and people fighting for Civil Rights, Star Trek was the first television show in history to show an interracial kiss between a Caucasian and an African-American women, when alien overlords "forced" Kirk to kiss Uhura. It sent shockwaves across the nation.

In another episode, the remaining two survivors of a planetary war were picked up by the Enterprise, hell bent on killing each other due to their race. While the characters looked identical at a glance, it turned out that one was black on the right side and white on the left, while his enemy was white on the right side and black on the left.

Those are just two, off the top of my head.

unlurking 09-23-2017 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13097408)
I think it was actually considerably worse, in terms of societal issues..

At a time when there were race riots and people fighting for Civil Rights, Star Trek was the first television show in history to show an interracial kiss between a Caucasian and an African-American women, when alien overlords "forced" Kirk to kiss Uhura. It sent shockwaves across the nation.

In another episode, the remaining two survivors of a planetary war were picked up by the Enterprise, hell bent on killing each other due to their race. While the characters looked identical at a glance, it turned out that one was black on the right side and white on the left, while his enemy was white on the right side and black on the left.

Those are just two, off the top of my head.

I watched TOS in the late 70's early 80's. The original air dates were before my time. So very well could be that the black and white episodes (I actually enjoyed both of those) were "tense" during their time and I just can't appreciate it. To me, the worst episode was Spock and the hippies.

The premise of the last Orville episode was just over the top with absurdity though. Just horribly stupid. I don't think anyone who watches it will have an "oooh, that's so taboo" thought. It's not like this society is forcing sex changes on babies. Heck, the biggest controversy in my mind was circumcision, and they just glossed right over that.

At least Star Trek was edgy for it's time period. No idea where this would be considered edgy and not absurd.

DaneMcCloud 09-23-2017 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 13097945)
At least Star Trek was edgy for it's time period. No idea where this would be considered edgy and not absurd.

All good points.

I think the biggest mistake that has been made by the Orville team is trying too hard to replicate the societal aspects of the original Star Trek.

Hopefully, they find their footing as the season progresses.

The latest episode didn't bother me or bore me but it was fairly predictable.

unlurking 09-23-2017 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13097959)
All good points.

I think the biggest mistake that has been made by the Orville team is trying too hard to replicate the societal aspects of the original Star Trek.

Hopefully, they find their footing as the season progresses.

The latest episode didn't bother me or bore me but it was fairly predictable.

Yeah, they seem to be replicating way too much of all aspects of Star Trek. I hope it finds it groove soon, as something a little different. I thought there was plenty of potential in the first two episodes.

Mosbonian 09-24-2017 06:22 AM

Watched all 3 episodes....and was more "meh". I think Episode 3 turned it from "i'll give it more time to develop" to "meh" for me.

And I am old enough to know how edgy the original was. I enjoyed watching the original when I was young more because of the fact that it was about the possibilities in space. (OTOH I absolutely loathed Lost in Space)

I will admit to going in with a bias because I am not a fan of McFarlane....

lcarus 09-24-2017 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sully1983 (Post 13079573)
Not a fan of this show but I'll give props to Seth for banging the dragon lady from GoT.
http://img.usmagazine.com/480-width/...1bcf4e3032.jpg

That dirty son of a bitch. I thought she was dating the guy who plays the Riddler in Gotham before. Which is odd because I thought that guy was gayer than a suit pocket full of pink handkerchiefs.

JD10367 10-04-2017 05:09 PM

So the last two episodes have been much more serious sci-fi and it's clear that SM really wants to make this a Trek-lite. But I don't mind because IMO it's really not that bad. The SM humor is toned-down and only here and there. The effects are actually really good (way better than most of the Trek stuff). This last story about the eco-ship was something that could easily have been written by one of the great mid-20th-century sci-fi writers, and I loved the Liam Neeson cameo. Will the show last? Probably not. But it's probably better than what the first season of that pay-per-view Trek series is going to be.

BigRedChief 10-06-2017 08:52 PM

Up against Scandal and Will and Grace? Doesn't bode well for the ratings.

unlurking 10-06-2017 09:18 PM

Please just stop with the pickle joke. I don't know if that's supposed to be Seth's version of "he's dead jim", but it really is annoying. Malloy, again, best character in the episode. Still on the fence about the show.

DaneMcCloud 10-06-2017 10:10 PM

I liked last night's episode and the direction they're taking.

To me, it totally felt like Star Trek and I loved that Captain Ed, despite his feelings, made the best choice for his galaxy.

That was some cold-blooded Captain Kirk/Shatner shit and I loved it.

MTG#10 10-07-2017 12:22 PM

Keeps getting better, glad I didnt give up after the pilot.

Bowser 10-07-2017 01:59 PM

That was a really good episode. I legit laughed when Malloy came hopping out without his leg.

The only thing that they should have done different was have Adrianne Palicki and Charlize Theron settle their differences in a bikini clad oil match.

lawrenceRaider 10-09-2017 07:27 AM

Each episode is better than the last. Really enjoying the show now.

When did Charlize start looking old? She is aging in a hurry now.

DaneMcCloud 10-09-2017 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 13137327)
When did Charlize start looking old? She is aging in a hurry now.

That tends to happen to women in their 40’s.

I think she’s still stunning.

JD10367 10-09-2017 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13137530)
That tends to happen to women in their 40’s.

I think she’s still stunning.

Watch "Atomic Blonde". She looks pretty good. People forget she's 42, not 24.

lawrenceRaider 10-10-2017 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 13139048)
Watch "Atomic Blonde". She looks pretty good. People forget she's 42, not 24.

42 isn't old dammit. That's my age, and she looks older than I do. I would have guessed she was closing in on 50.

patteeu 10-10-2017 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 13139876)
42 isn't old dammit. That's my age, and she looks older than I do. I would have guessed she was closing in on 50.

I presume you're a man. 42 isn't old for a man.

Rausch 10-10-2017 11:52 AM

I was pretty sure Seth had jumped the shark but this is the Star Trek show that Star Trek isn't.

I actually love it so far.

He's captured the Next Generation vibe while adding his own humor in there. I was pleasantly surprised - I expected a full parody experience and left impressed with an actual mature Trek-esque experience...

notorious 10-10-2017 12:00 PM

Almost caught up. The show isn't bad.

Rausch 10-10-2017 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 13140419)
Almost caught up. The show isn't bad.

It's better than I expected, It's on Fox, so it'll be cancelled early...

DaneMcCloud 10-10-2017 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 13140434)

The ratings are holding steady and while a Season 2 hasn't been announced yet, it is expected to be renewed at this point in time.

Garcia Bronco 10-10-2017 12:47 PM

I am enjoying it. Star Trek Sitcom

notorious 10-10-2017 03:37 PM

It certainly has the Star Trek vibe with a little Farscape humor mixed in.

The way that episode 3 ended was surprising. They are willing to have unhappy endings.

MTG#10 10-10-2017 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 13140434)

I dont think Fox will make that mistake with Macfarlane again

Frosty 10-11-2017 05:13 AM

I was expecting to hate this but have really enjoyed it so far. They need to tone down the sophomoric humor a tad but it's definitely a lot better than I was expecting.

keg in kc 10-11-2017 07:04 AM

It may not be 'bad', technically, but it isn't very good, either. The third episode was one of the worst hours of anything I watched all year. At its best it's just fluff, so far. I'll probably stop watching by accident one week and not even notice. There's so much better stuff on the air.

aturnis 10-14-2017 10:48 AM

I'm a fan b/c my 7 yr old son is a fan.

Can't get him to watch Star Wars(weird I know) or anything of the sort. He doesn't like lots of dialogue just yet. I think this will serve as a good stepping stone for him. It's already got him watching ST Discovery.

That said, I explain The Orville like this: It is too Star Trek as Scrubs is to ER(would say Grey's, but never actually watched it).

Only thing is, it doesn't do humor/endearment as well as Scrubs.

DaneMcCloud 10-14-2017 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 13147986)
Can't get him to watch Star Wars(weird I know)

My 7 year old (at the time) couldn't get into Star Wars movies, either, so I introduced Star Wars: The Clone Wars animated series on Netflix and we both totally loved it.

After that, we moved on to Star Wars Rebels: Season One, then to the movies.

I showed the movies out of order as to not spoil Darth Vader's true identity.

cooper barrett 10-14-2017 12:39 PM

I watch it after everything else so I have not seen E6 but I will say that it lacks something, not sure what, but maybe it could be cured by making a casting change. Mercer's ex wife does nothing for me or my sense of humor but she does look sweet in pics...

http://www.miscellaneoushi.com/thumb...shi.com_63.jpg

[IMG]
Image: Not Safe for Work
NSFW Image
[/IMG]

https://thewondrous.com/wp-content/u...uoco-boobs.jpg

Bowser 10-14-2017 04:37 PM

Cool, more for the rest of us.

keg in kc 10-15-2017 07:12 AM

Liked this week's.

BigRedChief 10-15-2017 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 13149098)
Liked this week's.

yeah, its getting better. They seem to be getting their legs under them, finding the right mix of McFarland humor to throw into this 2017 version of Star Trek.

Frazod 10-15-2017 12:36 PM

Got caught up with the season last night. I'm enjoying it. The wife really likes it as well.

GayFrogs 10-25-2017 06:41 AM

Finished the first 3 episodes. It's been great, even if the 3rd episode is sort of preachy (I think it played both sides well honestly) it was nothing compared to how some TNG episodes had zero subtlety in their messages. One bright spot is the pilot starting off as a cringy douche in the first episode but becomes the loveable reerun later on.

MTG#10 10-25-2017 02:45 PM

Did they skip a week?

DaneMcCloud 10-25-2017 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 13175502)
Did they skip a week?

It’s in repeats until the World Series is over.

RealSNR 10-26-2017 10:26 PM

Tonight's was decent, even if it was another commentary on upvote/downvote culture. Black Mirror had that one new episode, and even Community did a similar thing with castes of society based on your social rating. The Orville put a really cool different spin on it. I liked it.

DaneMcCloud 10-27-2017 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13175529)
It’s in repeats until the World Series is over.

Oops, I guess not. Weird. Must have been a last minute decision.

BigRedChief 10-27-2017 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 13177858)
Tonight's was decent, even if it was another commentary on upvote/downvote culture. Black Mirror had that one new episode, and even Community did a similar thing with castes of society based on your social rating. The Orville put a really cool different spin on it. I liked it.

Reminded me of the old Star Trek episode of the half black and white people. This episode was a little heavy handed on the "like" social commentary but it was okay. Not my favorite episode so far.

Rain Man 10-27-2017 11:01 AM

Is this show supposed to be a comedy or drama? I watched part of the pilot episode and shut it off because it seemed to be neither. I would've been interested in a comedy, but the pilot wasn't making me chuckle.

Frazod 10-27-2017 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13178347)
Is this show supposed to be a comedy or drama? I watched part of the pilot episode and shut it off because it seemed to be neither. I would've been interested in a comedy, but the pilot wasn't making me chuckle.

I think it's basically Seth McFarlane living out his Captain Kirk fantasy. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's serious. I like it, but not as much as I thought I would.

RealSNR 10-27-2017 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13178347)

I kind of agree. To be honest, have we ever seen a legit sci-fi comedy show?

Red Dwarf. That's the only one I can think of. And of course, that's British, so depending on your tastes, you might not view that as comedy.