ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink What are you Smoking/Grilling/BBQ'ing this weekend? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=293234)

BigRedChief 07-06-2015 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian (Post 11582202)
Taking the pig out of the ground around 5. Will try to get pics.

where is the pics?:hmmm:

Iowanian 07-06-2015 06:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here.

Iowanian 07-06-2015 06:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And here

Iowanian 07-06-2015 06:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And more

Iowanian 07-06-2015 06:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Getting closer

chiefzilla1501 07-06-2015 06:16 PM

Damnit. Had an excellent smoke going on a pork shoulder then made a rookie mistake and never covered it up. Hit a stall halfway through and damn thing took so long I had to take it off the grill at 155.

Iowanian 07-06-2015 06:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
About payoff time

We peeled the fat and pulled the meat apart by hand. Very tender. Nailed it.

No pics of the final product as I was too busy pulling the meat apart to serve.

BigRedChief 07-06-2015 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian (Post 11583821)
About payoff time

We peeled the fat and pulled the meat apart by hand. Very tender. Nailed it.

No pics of the final product as I was too busy pulling the meat apart to serve.

Thanks cool stuff :clap:

Buehler445 07-06-2015 09:52 PM

Awesome. When I was a kid a couple different times we pulled a hog out of the pen, plugged it in the head, bled it, skinned it and cooked it in a big cooker that was once an NH3 tank. We used just charcoal (if CP was around I would have thrown in some wood chunks, at least) and it was wholly magnificent. No marinade, no injection, no wood chunks, no rub, no nothing. Just charcoal, fire and hog. It was mind bogglingly glorious. Enjoy Iowanian.

Fire Me Boy! 05-12-2016 01:31 PM

I have 10 pounds of pork belly that need to be smoked. A 3-pound bologna (don't judge, if you've never had this Memphis staple, you're really missing out).

Maybe a chicken? Some sausages? I did ribs last weekend, but I have a new smoker arriving tomorrow, and I need to break it in Sunday when the wife is off work.

Brisket is $8/pound down here, so **** that.

Fire Me Boy! 05-15-2016 08:49 AM

First smoke.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...95699211b3.jpg

BigRedChief 05-15-2016 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 12228047)
I have 10 pounds of pork belly that need to be smoked. A 3-pound bologna (don't judge, if you've never had this Memphis staple, you're really missing out).

Maybe a chicken? Some sausages? I did ribs last weekend, but I have a new smoker arriving tomorrow, and I need to break it in Sunday when the wife is off work.

Bologna? Never heard or thought of smoking it. How's it done? What rub?

Fire Me Boy! 05-15-2016 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 12231273)
Bologna? Never heard or thought of smoking it. How's it done? What rub?

It's a Memphis thing. A buddy from there turned me onto it when I was in town a couple years ago. Seriously one of the best Memphis specialties out there.

I had a bottle of rub from my favorite spot in Memphis (The Bar-B-Q Shop), so I scored the bologna, slathered in a thin layer of mustard, and seasoned with the rub. Once it's done, traditionally you'd cut a 1/2-inch slice and fry it, serve with sauce on Texas toast with a scoop of cole slaw (optional).

Fire Me Boy! 05-15-2016 10:09 AM

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...6631074e1e.jpg

ChiefGator 05-15-2016 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 12231306)

Niiice! I will have to try that bologna idea.

I live in a condo now, with my smoker retired in the garage, so I will just be grilling a couple pork loins, marinated in mojo mostly, today. I smoke as much as I can in the community grills, which are actually pretty nice. It takes some experience to control the air correctly, but I start with charcoal, then throw in oak and apple wood, and just move the loins to the other side.

MTG#10 05-15-2016 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 12231222)

Damn thats such a great idea and would save so much more space than laying your meat on racks. I wish the WSM's came with a setup like that. Guess I could do it myself.

Fire Me Boy! 05-15-2016 10:24 AM

Chicken is done.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...932de4e5ed.jpg

srvy 05-15-2016 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 12228047)

I will try this Bolo smoke sounds good. I know I have taken the sams club yard o beef summer sausage many times and smoked it. Makes it edible lol and its great with cheese and crackers now i need to try this cheese smoking.

What smoker did you order?

srvy 05-15-2016 10:43 AM

Look at this dudes new smoker from another forum I post in. Impressive and he doesnt competitive smoke or sell. Just goes to veterans groups and does it for free.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...st8dxnbci.jpeg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...ssnpr83ml.jpeg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...skeed14be.jpeg

SAUTO 05-15-2016 11:08 AM

I've got a buddy that is building smokers out of vintage refrigerators. They are pretty cool.

Fire Me Boy! 05-15-2016 11:11 AM

That bacon turned out good. I'll have the bologna tonight. That chicken was easily some of the best I've made.

TrebMaxx 05-15-2016 11:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ribs with two hours in. Getting ready to wrap in foil for one hour then unwrap for one more hour and putting the sauce on.

Pablo 05-15-2016 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 12231368)
I've got a buddy that is building smokers out of vintage refrigerators. They are pretty cool.

My next door neighbor has one that's an old fridge his father in law built like thirty years ago. Turns out some great BBQ on that thing.

cabletech94 05-15-2016 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 12231306)

i worked at a little mom and pop grocery here in seks years ago. the best time was when the smoked the hillbilly bacon.

thanks for the memory lane!!!

Fire Me Boy! 05-15-2016 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabletech94 (Post 12231620)
i worked at a little mom and pop grocery here in seks years ago. the best time was when the smoked the hillbilly bacon.

thanks for the memory lane!!!

Is hillbilly bacon bologna?

Predarat 05-15-2016 02:41 PM

Grilled Rbeye last night, a bit disappointing in the cut but I got the best that was left, and currently making my crappy Gumbo trying to improve it.

BigRedChief 05-23-2016 04:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cheap ass chicken thighs from Costco. Experimenting with a new injection. Pineapple juice, soy sauce, rub and butter. Turned out well. Real juicy and tender meat.

Will try it this weekend on a whole pork loin.

cabletech94 05-23-2016 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 12231657)
Is hillbilly bacon bologna?

no. to be honest, i never knew what it was. boneless. and smoked, then sliced thinly. it was a slab of meat that kind of resembled a large shank, maybe?
i still run into the old owner from time to time i'll do some homework.

Titty Meat 05-23-2016 08:03 PM

Smoking weed

Grilling steaks

Pasta Little Brioni 05-23-2016 09:35 PM

Billay I thought the only thing you could grill was cheese!

Fire Me Boy! 06-14-2016 02:54 PM

No pics. I picked up a brisket flat over the weekend (brisket is bloody expensive down here; I got it on sale for $5.89/pound). I keep experimenting with the new Pit Barrel Cooker, trying to find the right mix of charcoal and wood.

Under their instructions, you use charcoal and if you must, a small handful of chips. It keeps a constant temp on that, and they say if you monkey with it it'll burn hot.

Despite what the company says, it's doing great as I add more wood. This was probably the best thing I've cooked in it, and it's the first thing I've done that had a distinct "smoked" flavor vs. "grilled" flavor.

I did probably 30 percent apple wood chucks in this last go, and it's the best yet. The PBC cooks hotter by design, and it stayed right around 315 for 4-5 hours before I took the brisket out.

KCUnited 06-14-2016 03:09 PM

I feel ya. Brisket is going for $9-12/lb here which goes completely against the soul of bbq. I broke down and found a place that would sell me just a point the other weekend so I could have some decent ends. Around here, we seem to have a combo of Eastern block butchers that have 100 different kinds of sausage but look at you funny if you ask for a brisket point and these hotshot boutique butcher/craft cocktail/small plate/DJ's on the rooftop at night y'all! places that make me want to start disgorging fools with my Victorinox.

Anyway, I lean spicy with my bbq but the wife says she wants sticky sweet ribs this weekend so that's I'm going drink a bunch of pineapple juice the night before I make these spicy ribs.

Fire Me Boy! 06-14-2016 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 12275606)
I feel ya. Brisket is going for $9-12/lb here which goes completely against the soul of bbq. I broke down and found a place that would sell me just a point the other weekend so I could have some decent ends. Around here, we seem to have a combo of Eastern block butchers that have 100 different kinds of sausage but look at you funny if you ask for a brisket point and these hotshot boutique butcher/craft cocktail/small plate/DJ's on the rooftop at night y'all! places that make me want to start disgorging fools with my Victorinox.

Anyway, I lean spicy with my bbq but the wife says she wants sticky sweet ribs this weekend so that's I'm going drink a bunch of pineapple juice the night before I make these spicy ribs.

It's impossible to find a point down here at all. The place I usually special order things from won't even order me a whole brisket because they won't be able to get rid of the others in the case.

KCUnited 06-14-2016 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 12275671)
It's impossible to find a point down here at all. The place I usually special order things from won't even order me a whole brisket because they won't be able to get rid of the others in the case.

I had to call around, be put on hold (not complaining), to verify they had a point they'd sell. Next time I'm going to ask what they do with it because I see a ton of trimmed flats for sale up here (corned beef, pastrami, I get it), but rarely a whole brisket. Maybe it's my narrow minded Midwest mentality, but what else do you do with the point other than ends besides some low grade stews or something? This place practically asked me what I'd give for the point as opposed to the brisket price because he obviously never gets asked for it. Lol, he said he'd cut it to weight and I was like, no I'll take the whole thing.

Fire Me Boy! 06-14-2016 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 12275695)
I had to call around, be put on hold (not complaining), to verify they had a point they'd sell. Next time I'm going to ask what they do with it because I see a ton of trimmed flats for sale up here (corned beef, pastrami, I get it), but rarely a whole brisket. Maybe it's my narrow minded Midwest mentality, but what else do you do with the point other than ends besides some low grade stews or something? This place practically asked me what I'd give for the point as opposed to the brisket price because he obviously never gets asked for it. Lol, he said he'd cut it to weight and I was like, no I'll take the whole thing.

I wish. Down here, they guy actually told me they won't order it because people down here don't know how to cook it.

SAUTO 06-14-2016 05:41 PM

Quote:

I c wut u did there ROFL.

lewdog 06-14-2016 06:21 PM

Quote:

ROFL

lewdog 06-14-2016 07:24 PM

I am guessing the ad I see for brisket sold in a bag for $2.99/lb is not the quality you are looking for?

Hog's Gone Fishin 06-14-2016 07:27 PM

Grilling chicken breast now. Bourbon chicken seasoning, parsley , sage wrapped in foil.

Fire Me Boy! 06-14-2016 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 12275930)
I am guessing the ad I see for brisket sold in a bag for $2.99/lb is not the quality you are looking for?

That's a butcher pack? Pretty much what you'd buy anywhere. And that price matches what I saw when I was in Missouri over Christmas.

BryanBusby 06-14-2016 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 12275930)

I typically get mine for 2.50 a pound, but sometimes I'm just ****ing lazy and don't want to do all the trimming.

jspchief 06-14-2016 08:39 PM

2.96/lb for whole brisket is pretty typical around here. Problem I have is fitting them in my smoker

BigRedChief 06-15-2016 07:56 AM

Yeah thats not a bad price for the bag. It should smoke up nicely.

lewdog 06-15-2016 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 12275939)
That's a butcher pack? Pretty much what you'd buy anywhere. And that price matches what I saw when I was in Missouri over Christmas.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 12275945)
I typically get mine for 2.50 a pound, but sometimes I'm just ****ing lazy and don't want to do all the trimming.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 12276049)
2.96/lb for whole brisket is pretty typical around here. Problem I have is fitting them in my smoker

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 12276462)
Yeah thats not a bad price for the bag. It should smoke up nicely.

So there's nothing wrong with going with one of those? What this $6/lb and up type brisket you guys are talking about ($12 KC!!)? Straight from the butcher?

Fire Me Boy! 06-15-2016 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 12277153)
So there's nothing wrong with going with one of those? What this $6/lb and up type brisket you guys are talking about ($12 KC!!)? Straight from the butcher?

$6 is cheap for me, but I'm in Alabama. Beef down here is expensive.

SAUTO 06-15-2016 05:32 PM

Quote:

Not a thing wrong with those

jspchief 06-15-2016 08:41 PM

Quote:

They arent trimmed, it's the point and flat. A lot of people only consider the flat the "good" part. But for smoking, they're fine. I suggest watching a video on how to slice brisket, separate the point from the flat, etc.

BryanBusby 06-26-2016 01:54 AM

Here and there I will get a trimmed one if I am just feeling lazy as hell and I want a quick smoked brisket. That's hardly a thing for me though.

Trimmed is much higher per pound, but you're also not paying X dollars for pounds of fat. If you like real lean meat, than that's a bit of a bonus. Learn how to trim your own meat though, and save some money.

I'm more partial to the packer brisket as the cap is lovely for doing BBQ (burnt ends).

chiefzilla1501 06-26-2016 07:04 AM

Has anyone ever both smoked and sous vide a brisket? I'm thinking of smoking for a few hours then throwing into sous vide for a day or two. Maybe at 140 degrees. I don't know what the best process is.

Fire Me Boy! 06-26-2016 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 12290522)
Has anyone ever both smoked and sous vide a brisket? I'm thinking of smoking for a few hours then throwing into sous vide for a day or two. Maybe at 140 degrees. I don't know what the best process is.

That's the way to do it, IYAM. Smoke to 140 to maximize time in the smoke, pull it from the smoker, cool it, bag it, sous vide it.

Never done it myself.

And now that I think about it, maybe you sous vide it first, then cool it, then smoke it up to serving temp...

Hmmmm.... I think you need to test it both ways and report back. Either way, I think you need to cool it between cooking methods.

chiefzilla1501 06-26-2016 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 12290530)
That's the way to do it, IYAM. Smoke to 140 to maximize time in the smoke, pull it from the smoker, cool it, bag it, sous vide it.

Never done it myself.

And now that I think about it, maybe you sous vide it first, then cool it, then smoke it up to serving temp...

Hmmmm.... I think you need to test it both ways and report back. Either way, I think you need to cool it between cooking methods.

That is interesting. I saw a modernist cuisine article that suggested 7 hours at 149 in the smoke, then 140 degrees in the sous vide for 72 hours. I don't worry about low and slow for thinner cuts but don't know if I should be worried for thicker cuts for brisket. Bringing the brisket up to temperature in the smoke feels safer to me. Then how long should I toss into the sous vide? I'm guessing maintain at the 140 degrees.

Fire Me Boy! 06-26-2016 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 12290556)
That is interesting. I saw a modernist cuisine article that suggested 7 hours at 149 in the smoke, then 140 degrees in the sous vide for 72 hours. I don't worry about low and slow for thinner cuts but don't know if I should be worried for thicker cuts for brisket. Bringing the brisket up to temperature in the smoke feels safer to me. Then how long should I toss into the sous vide? I'm guessing maintain at the 140 degrees.

Actually for safety, I think you'd want to sous vide second. The long cook time at 140 would pasteurize the meat within a couple hours. I'd just worried about washing out the smoke flavor.

Totally worth testing though, IMO.

If brisket weren't $6+/pound here, I'd try that myself.

In58men 07-09-2016 03:44 PM

What are you Smoking/Grilling/BBQ'ing this weekend?

About to slap these baby backs on my WSM.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...6155a221dd.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...9ce1ddda0f.jpg

Hog's Gone Fishin 07-09-2016 03:57 PM

Nice, you need to buy a real grill though

In58men 07-09-2016 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Farmer (Post 12308551)

This is a smoker.

lewdog 07-09-2016 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 12308532)

Get that kid out there to help you!!!

Fire Me Boy! 07-09-2016 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Farmer (Post 12308551)

WSM is a Weber Smoky Mountain. The king of bullet smokers.

Fire Me Boy! 07-09-2016 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 12308553)
This is a smoker.

Nevermind Hog Farmer. If it doesn't have jizz on it, he gets confused.

In58men 07-09-2016 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 12308559)
WSM is a Weber Smoky Mountain. The king of bullet smokers.

Correct, it's the best thing I've ever purchased when it comes to smoking.

Fire Me Boy! 07-09-2016 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 12308568)

I'm really, really digging my Pit Barrel Cooker.

In58men 07-09-2016 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 12308580)

Is it like a drum?

Fire Me Boy! 07-09-2016 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 12308586)
Is it like a drum?

Yes, upright. Meat hangs above the coals and wood.

www.pitbarrelcooker.com

Hog's Gone Fishin 07-09-2016 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 12308568)

Heh, OK, Looks like junk ! My bad.

Hog's Gone Fishin 07-09-2016 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 12308560)
Nevermind Hog Farmer. If it doesn't have jizz on it, he gets confused.

If you look at the "smoker" real close you can see jizz on it.

Fire Me Boy! 07-09-2016 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Farmer (Post 12308592)
If you look at the "smoker" real close you can see jizz on it.

LOL

In58men 07-09-2016 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Farmer (Post 12308590)
Heh, OK, Looks like junk ! My bad.

You're drunk.

lewdog 07-09-2016 04:37 PM

Glad to have you back Inmem.

You add a lot to the cooking/food threads.

LoneWolf 07-09-2016 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 12308580)

Have you had to add charcoal and wood during a long smoke on your PBC? If so, how difficult is it? I didn't see an access door in any of the videos I've watched.

I'm seriously considering buying one and selling my large Yoder offset smoker. It's just too damn big to move around and takes up a lot of room on my patio.

Fire Me Boy! 07-09-2016 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 12308668)
Have you had to add charcoal and wood during a long smoke on your PBC? If so, how difficult is it? I didn't see an access door in any of the videos I've watched.

I'm seriously considering buying one and selling my large Yoder offset smoker. It's just too damn big to move around and takes up a lot of room on my patio.

No. Longest smoke so far has been 6 hours. That was probably my second or third smoke, and that one kept an air probe in it the entire time - held steady between 305 and 314.

They say a full load of charcoal will burn for 8 hours. They don't recommend using wood at all, but I've worked my way to about 60:40 charcoal to wood, and the results have been great. Obviously, that will raise the temp some.

Since you're cooking hotter and faster, nothing you'd typically smoke would take more than 8 hours.

LoneWolf 07-09-2016 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 12308681)
No. Longest smoke so far has been 6 hours. That was probably my second or third smoke, and that one kept an air probe in it the entire time - held steady between 305 and 314.

They say a full load of charcoal will burn for 8 hours. They don't recommend using wood at all, but I've worked my way to about 60:40 charcoal to wood, and the results have been great. Obviously, that will raise the temp some.

Since you're cooking hotter and faster, nothing you'd typically smoke would take more than 8 hours.

Thanks, FMB. Looks like a real simple system for a very affordable price. I'm probably going to order one.

In58men 07-09-2016 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 12308617)
Glad to have you back Inmem.

You add a lot to the cooking/food threads.

Back in the game brotha.

Fire Me Boy! 07-09-2016 05:17 PM

What are you Smoking/Grilling/BBQ'ing this weekend?

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 12308698)
Thanks, FMB. Looks like a real simple system for a very affordable price. I'm probably going to order one.

I've really liked it. Good luck.

One note: using just charcoal gives you good results; but to me, it tastes grilled, not smoked. You get the fat and juice vaporizing on the coals and that's just the flavor. It's good, but not the same. The 60:40 charcoal:wood smoke I did was the best yet. Good, deep, smoky flavor, and the temp stayed around 310. I do have the air vent choked all the way down to help bring the temp down.

LoneWolf 07-09-2016 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 12308707)
I've really liked it. Good luck.

One note: using just charcoal gives you good results; but to me, it tastes grilled, not smoked. You get the fat and juice vaporizing on the coals and that's just the flavor. It's good, but not the same. The 60:40 charcoal:wood smoke I did was the best yet. Good, deep, smoky flavor, and the temp stayed around 310. I do have the air vent choked all the way down to help bring the temp down.

I might PM you if I have any questions after I receive my PBC and start to mess around with it. Hope you don't mind.

Fire Me Boy! 07-09-2016 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 12308719)
I might PM you if I have any questions after I receive my PBC and start to mess around with it. Hope you don't mind.

Not at all.

KChiefs1 07-09-2016 06:04 PM

I wish I knew how to grill/smoke like you guys do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fire Me Boy! 07-09-2016 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 12308769)
I wish I knew how to grill/smoke like you guys do.

Start cooking. Practice. No one got good by ordering takeout.

KChiefs1 07-09-2016 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 12308772)
Start cooking. Practice. No one got good by ordering takeout.

What's good to practice on?
I'd love to eat ribs & brisket but I'm afraid I'd ruin them.

Fire Me Boy! 07-09-2016 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 12308782)
What's good to practice on?
I'd love to eat ribs & brisket but I'm afraid I'd ruin them.

Ribs are easier.

Pork butt is extremely forgiving. I started there.

KChiefs1 07-09-2016 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 12308789)
Ribs are easier.

Pork butt is extremely forgiving. I started there.

I have a gas grill. Should I get a smoker?

Fire Me Boy! 07-09-2016 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 12308799)
I have a gas grill. Should I get a smoker?

It can be done on a gas grill, but if smoking is something you want to get into, get a real smoker.