ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   The possibility of keeping Alex Smith. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=309939)

DJ's left nut 09-13-2017 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 13078400)
Say they traded Jimmy G for at worst a 2nd and a conditional mid-rounder before the start of 2017. Then Brady blows his ACL against the Chiefs, forcing Brisset (or better yet some shiftless vet FA) to start. They go 4-12 or worse, they'll be in a better position to draft a dude that you can justify sitting a few years to wait out Brady's swan song.

If he doesn't get hurt then it doesn't really matter that they don't have Jimmy G anyway.

"eh **** it, it'll make it easier to rebuild..." is not an acceptable attitude for a defending Super Bowl champion who'd added to their defense and had aspirations to repeat.

Not, it's not likely that JG would take them to a championship, but that was still a team that added weapons in several key areas. Garapollo can win 10-11 games with that team much like Cassel did.

It's not okay to write a season off when you're in the midst of a dynastic run. That's a losers mentality and one that we fell into when we were so desperate to get a QBOTF. For the Chiefs, it's a fair outlook and justifiable approach. For a team that's made more Super Bowls than it's missed over the last decade, that's not okay.

O.city 09-13-2017 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 13078453)
"eh **** it, it'll make it easier to rebuild..." is not an acceptable attitude for a defending Super Bowl champion who'd added to their defense and had aspirations to repeat.

Not, it's not likely that JG would take them to a championship, but that was still a team that added weapons in several key areas. Garapollo can win 10-11 games with that team much like Cassel did.

It's not okay to write a season off when you're in the midst of a dynastic run. That's a losers mentality and one that we fell into when we were so desperate to get a QBOTF. For the Chiefs, it's a fair outlook and justifiable approach. For a team that's made more Super Bowls than it's missed over the last decade, that's not okay.

They had some great additions for sure but it's weird to me they didn't address the pass rush.

The Franchise 09-13-2017 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13078478)
They had some great additions for sure but it's weird to me they didn't address the pass rush.

They did. The guys that they brought in ended up on the IR.

Black Bob 09-13-2017 11:50 AM

You know what's gonna happen right? Things will be handled the Chiefs way. We will let Alex go and sign Drew Brees to start for a couple years. Lol

DJ's left nut 09-13-2017 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 13078489)

Losing Rivers and even McClellin (who I think had solid rotational pass rush ability) certainly didn't help. And Kony Ealy had the ability to be a boost as well.

No they didn't go get a premier pass-rush but I do think that adding 3 different guys that were guys who could get after the QB and get in that 5-8 sack range (better for Rivers) is a fair effort.

It just didn't work out. They were clearly loading up for this year; which is the absolute right approach for that team.

O.city 09-13-2017 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 13078489)

**** you're right I forgot about them

BryanBusby 09-13-2017 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 13078368)
I think the Patriots have totally misplayed the Brady - Garoppolo situation and they should be the case study on not to handle the QB position.

Way to overreact over one game.

Discuss Thrower 09-13-2017 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 13079286)
Way to overreact over one game.

Garoppolo should have been traded before this season began.

BryanBusby 09-14-2017 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 13079521)
Garoppolo should have been traded before this season began.

Ah, no.

The main thing about Belichick is he's going to rip the bandaid off before it's too late.

What that means is Jimmy Garoppolo is getting the job in 2018 and Brady is released/traded/retires.

While fans obsess over hanging on to limpdick players, the elite teams stay one step ahead. Kraft has already given him the green light to dump Brady.

The Franchise 09-14-2017 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 13079821)
Ah, no.

The main thing about Belichick is he's going to rip the bandaid off before it's too late.

What that means is Jimmy Garoppolo is getting the job in 2018 and Brady is released/traded/retires.

While fans obsess over hanging on to limpdick players, the elite teams stay one step ahead. Kraft has already given him the green light to dump Brady.

That's yet to be seen. Yeah he can dump players before they drop off a cliff....but can he do it to the most important player on the team? Will he be able to do it and deal with the blowback from fans when it's time to dump Brady? Or will he just ride off into the sunset with Brady and go out on top?

DaneMcCloud 09-14-2017 09:28 AM

The cracks in Belichick's armor are beginning to show and very soon, Brady won't be able to cover those mistakes.

He's had the greatest QB in NFL history for the past 16 seasons, which has made it easier to create a roster of "JAG's" as opposed to truly talented offensive and defensive players. He can get away Julian Edelman and Danny Amendola and players of that ilk but once they have a non-HOF QB, he'll need to invest draft capital and free agent money into talented offensive and defensive players.

The game will change completely for the Patriots at that point and it'll be interesting to see if Belichick can adjust. Based on his recent trades and dumps (Kony Ealy, Jamie Collins and Chandler Jones), his arrow is pointing down.

O.city 09-14-2017 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13080098)
The cracks in Belichick's armor are beginning to show and very soon, Brady won't be able to cover those mistakes.

He's had the greatest QB in NFL history for the past 16 seasons, which has made it easier to create a roster of "JAG's" as opposed to truly talented offensive and defensive players. He can get away Julian Edelman and Danny Amendola and players of that ilk but once they have a non-HOF QB, he'll need to invest draft capital and free agent money into talented offensive and defensive players.

The game will change completely for the Patriots at that point and it'll be interesting to see if Belichick can adjust. Based on his recent trades and dumps (Kony Ealy, Jamie Collins and Chandler Jones), his arrow is pointing down.

Plus Brady's contract has always allowed him to add free agents he normally wouldn't be able to

DaneMcCloud 09-14-2017 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13080118)
Plus Brady's contract has always allowed him to add free agents he normally wouldn't be able to

Yeah, there are all kinds of factors in play but from my perspective, Belichick has made some mistakes the past few years and those will only be magnified when Brady's play inevitably declines and/or he's traded or retired.

There's no way that the current Patriots roster wouldn't be better if they had kept Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins. They have a lack of edge rushers which will likely lead to their downfall.

The Franchise 09-14-2017 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13080206)
Yeah, there are all kinds of factors in play but from my perspective, Belichick has made some mistakes the past few years and those will only be magnified when Brady's play inevitably declines and/or he's traded or retired.

There's no way that the current Patriots roster wouldn't be better if they had kept Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins. They have a lack of edge rushers which will likely lead to their downfall.

Bill is one of those coaches that likes to think he's better than everyone else and loves to do it with questionable moves.

BryanBusby 09-14-2017 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 13080070)
That's yet to be seen. Yeah he can dump players before they drop off a cliff....but can he do it to the most important player on the team? Will he be able to do it and deal with the blowback from fans when it's time to dump Brady? Or will he just ride off into the sunset with Brady and go out on top?

He has done it with Kosar and Bledsoe before, both big fan favorites. Sure they aren't Tom Brady, but I don't think he's afraid to make the move at all.

DaneMcCloud 09-14-2017 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 13080610)
He has done it with Kosar and Bledsoe before, both big fan favorites. Sure they aren't Tom Brady, but I don't think he's afraid to make the move at all.

I don't think that people cared that he moved Bledsoe because the Patriots had just won the Super Bowl with Brady.

Fans were irate about cutting Kosar but he was right. Kosar was done.

BryanBusby 09-14-2017 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13080707)
I don't think that people cared that he moved Bledsoe because the Patriots had just won the Super Bowl with Brady.

Fans were irate about cutting Kosar but he was right. Kosar was done.

Should of clarified. When they kept playing Brady after Bledsoe was healthy. Some people were extremely pissed.

When they traded him finally to Buffalo? Nah lol

DJ's left nut 09-15-2017 03:35 PM

Another consideration - Andy Dalton could easily be traded. He has 3 years left on his deal at below market value for an average starting QB. He may well have burnt out in Cincy and they could be looking to blow it up.

He's more accomplished, younger, cheaper and under control for longer than Smith is.

So unless Smith kills it this season, why would a team prefer Smith to Dalton if they're looking for a veteran bridge to a younger QB? If you're the Jags and you can have Smith for a season or Dalton for 3 (with no guaranteed dollars still attached).

I don't think Smith will have much trade value.

Discuss Thrower 09-15-2017 06:12 PM

Won't it take a team that's got one of Dalton's coaches being the more-likely option to try and acquire him?

But yeah. Smith has pretty much insignificant trade value.

DaneMcCloud 09-15-2017 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 13082893)

You're insignificant

BryanBusby 09-15-2017 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 13082635)
Another consideration - Andy Dalton could easily be traded. He has 3 years left on his deal at below market value for an average starting QB. He may well have burnt out in Cincy and they could be looking to blow it up.

He's more accomplished, younger, cheaper and under control for longer than Smith is.

So unless Smith kills it this season, why would a team prefer Smith to Dalton if they're looking for a veteran bridge to a younger QB? If you're the Jags and you can have Smith for a season or Dalton for 3 (with no guaranteed dollars still attached).

I don't think Smith will have much trade value.

Andy Dalton is a younger Alex. They are both the definitly average, just different flavors.

Andy is only as good as the talent around him while Alex is Alex regardless of talent.

RealSNR 09-16-2017 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 13082893)
Won't it take a team that's got one of Dalton's coaches being the more-likely option to try and acquire him?

If he plays as well as some of the homers are claiming he will?

1st round pick. Minimum. Maybe we throw some change at the team, ala the Trent Green deal years ago.

Discuss Thrower 09-16-2017 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 13083410)
If he plays as well as some of the homers are claiming he will?

1st round pick. Minimum. Maybe we throw some change at the team, ala the Trent Green deal years ago.

If he plays no worse than he did in 2015, Smith gets a contract extension unfortunately.

RealSNR 09-16-2017 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 13083459)
If he plays no worse than he did in 2015, Smith gets a contract extension unfortunately.

For what ****ing reason?

Hammock Parties 09-16-2017 10:53 AM

Yeah I don't agree with that.

Smith's future with this team is entirely dependent on how he performs in the playoffs.

His last three playoff games have been 'meh' at best.

Discuss Thrower 09-16-2017 11:12 AM

He hasn't played bad enough to justify going to a guy who will have at most three full preseason games' worth of experience.

Hammock Parties 09-16-2017 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 13083554)
He hasn't played bad enough to justify going to a guy who will have at most three full preseason games' worth of experience.

The Chiefs drafted Mahomes for a reason, though.

They know Smith is only going to get worse from this point. If he isn't legitimately giving them a chance to win a Super Bowl I really think they move on.

They're done treading water.

RealSNR 09-16-2017 11:53 AM

Quote:

Andy traded Donovan McNabb to a team in his own goddamn division. And McNabb wasn't playing poorly at the time, neither was Kevin Kolb demonstrably ready for the job.

Let's not act like Alex is a golden goose when not even Donovan McNabb was one in Philly

Sweet Daddy Hate 09-16-2017 08:26 PM

It's time for the Chiefs to be the Chiefs.
Decades of absolutely NO identity as a team, and barely as a franchise are about to come to a close. Mahomes represents an identity of relevance that no bought and paid for free agent can ever replicate.
Look no further than Denver. Buying Manning isn't what brought that franchise from the edge of the cliff and back to national interest; hiring Elway WAS.
The Chiefs are moving forward to an era that will be the best the franchise has seen since its inception, as well as being the highest peak of Andy Reid's professional career.
Putting the car in reverse would be sheer idiocy.

threebag 09-16-2017 09:11 PM

https://i.imgur.com/NnoGhN1.gif

Direckshun 09-17-2017 01:05 PM

Wellllllll we still have a quarter to go.

Buuuuuut lol

Sweet Daddy Hate 09-17-2017 01:14 PM

And so, another moronic CP/Smith idea floats merrily down the sanitary pipe to the water treatment plant where it will soon make a fine slurry for growing crops.

OldSchool 09-17-2017 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 13086419)
Wellllllll we still have a quarter to go.

Buuuuuut lol

Was clutch in the 4th.:clap:

RealSNR 09-17-2017 03:51 PM

Alex Smith had an Alex Smith game?

I'm shocked. SHOCKED I TELL YOU

mnchiefsguy 09-17-2017 04:13 PM

Quote:

Extending Alex creates dead cap space down the road. That might have been the Dorsey way, but I think the Chiefs are not going to damage the future for a mediocre qb today.

threebag 09-17-2017 04:29 PM

75% completion percentage, 251 yards, 1 Touchdown, QBR 113.0 just an average day...

Molitoth 09-18-2017 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threebag02 (Post 13088133)
75% completion percentage, 251 yards, 1 Touchdown, QBR 113.0 just an average day...

Pretty much. Average.

milkman 09-20-2017 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threebag02 (Post 13088133)

Numbers mean jack.

But it should be clear to anyone that can see, that Alex is playing a different game than he has ever played.

But at the end of the day, this should still be his last year as a Chief.

threebag 09-20-2017 11:37 AM

I only put the numbers up for the clowns

Yes, Alex is kicking ass

Respectfully no, he will be a Chief beyond seasons end :thumb:

kccrow 09-20-2017 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threebag02 (Post 13093182)
I only put the numbers up for the clowns

Yes, Alex is kicking ass

Respectfully no, he will be a Chief beyond seasons end :thumb:

I have serious doubts.

1. If the Chiefs keep Alex through 2018, the only opportunity they have to be compensated for letting him go would be a 2020 compensatory selection. If they instead trade him at season's end, they stand to acquire a better draft choice earlier in Mahomes' career which could help with continuing to fortify the cast around him.

2. The Chiefs are not in a prime position from a cap standpoint to sit on Alex's contract through 2018, especially if they chose to retain either Johnson or Hali in the last year of their respective deals.

3. The Chiefs have an opportunity to cash in on Mahomes minimal contract for four years rather than three, and at the same time give him more playing experience before that minimal contract expires.

4. Extending Alex is equally prohibitive to the further growth of Mahomes and the cap situation given impending contracts of some of the team's best players.

The Chiefs would be idiots to keep Smith beyond this season.

Sweet Daddy Hate 09-20-2017 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 13093071)
Numbers mean jack.

But it should be clear to anyone that can see, that Alex is playing a different game than he has ever played.

But at the end of the day, this should still be his last year as a Chief.

And it will be.

And the CP e-parade is going to be one for the ages!

Black Bob 10-09-2017 06:49 AM

The possibility of keeping Alex looks more and more likely each
Week. If we go to the Super Bowl, I guarantee we keep him. He is a master of this offense

Direckshun 10-09-2017 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Bob (Post 13137268)
The possibility of keeping Alex looks more and more likely each
Week. If we go to the Super Bowl, I guarantee we keep him. He is a master of this offense

I absolutely don't know how you let him go at this point.

O.city 10-09-2017 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 13137308)
I absolutely don't know how you let him go at this point.

If the jags called and offered two 1st rounders?

BryanBusby 10-09-2017 10:06 AM

You send him off to the highest bidder.

RunKC 10-09-2017 10:24 AM

I'm fine with Alex being here in 2018 if he takes us to the SB. It's not the end of the world. Nobosy outside of the "Alex hatred no matter what cult" will be bitching if he restructures his last year and keeps playing like he is now.

I think it would be foolish to keep him beyond 2018 though. At 35, his time is very close to being over for the type of QB he is. I know he says he has 5 more years left in him, but history doesn't agree with QB's who play like him.

BryanBusby 10-09-2017 10:32 AM

What makes anyone think he would take enough of a salary cut for the Chiefs to afford him next year? I can't see a guy coming off an MVP caliber year agreeing to a 50 or so percent cut, and he shouldn't.

Anyrhing less than that means they will have to make difficult decisions in the Spring. May have to do it even with half his original salary for 18.

gonefishin53 10-09-2017 10:39 AM

When Alex and the Chief's management agreed to a contract extension, both sides knew Alex could be released or traded in Feb. 2018 if Chiefs management have a suitable replacement lined up. Trading up to get Mahomes and see him prove himself in preseason satisfies the suitable replacement requirement.

If Alex isn't traded or released, it seriously reduces the value of Mahomes rookie contract because it eliminates the cap relief the Chiefs would receive by trading or releasing Alex. Alex balling out makes a trade more likely. A second day draft pick is preferable to a $20 million cap hit when Mahomes has shown outstanding potential to run AR's offense.

BryanBusby 10-09-2017 10:43 AM

With his current performance and (surprise surprise) the 18 QB class looking more iffy, the Chiefs are going to get a first round pick out of Alex.

Direckshun 10-09-2017 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13137669)

Deal.

Direckshun 10-09-2017 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 13137888)
With his current performance and (surprise surprise) the 18 QB class looking more iffy, the Chiefs are going to get a first round pick out of Alex.

I would trade him for a 1st.

The Franchise 10-09-2017 01:27 PM

If the Jags make the playoffs.....they won’t have a chance to grab a QB next year. They could take a run at Cousins if he’s out there but I’d send Smith there for a low 1st.

Sweet Daddy Hate 10-09-2017 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 13137838)
I'm fine with Alex being here in 2018 if he takes us to the SB. It's not the end of the world. Nobosy outside of the "Alex hatred no matter what cult" will be bitching if he restructures his last year and keeps playing like he is now.

I think it would be foolish to keep him beyond 2018 though. At 35, his time is very close to being over for the type of QB he is. I know he says he has 5 more years left in him, but history doesn't agree with QB's who play like him.

As I said elsewhere, the wonderful thing about Smith's play is that he's driving his trade stock through the roof while simultaneously making his domestic price out of reach.
He'd have to take one hell of a team-friendly deal to stay in KC, and I don't see that happening.

EDIT:
Who's going to take a "team-friendly" when the team has already made it clear that they have drafted your replacement?
A: No one with ANY self-respect, that's who.

Thank you John Dorsey, you brilliant, brilliant man. :)

threebag 10-09-2017 06:42 PM

LMAO yet Andy has said Alex can remain until he retires.

You honestly think Clark Hung is going to dump the winningest QB over the last few season?

LMAO

Sweet Daddy Hate 10-09-2017 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threebag02 (Post 13139033)
LMAO yet Andy has said Alex can remain until he retires.

You honestly think Clark Hung is going to dump the winningest QB over the last few season?

LMAO

Andy says a lot of things. In fact, Andy is a master at saying absolutely nothing while speaking. He's really good at it.

I think Clark Hunt likes Texas and soccer balls.

OldSchool 10-09-2017 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13137669)

Deal unless he leads the Chiefs to a Superbowl appearance/victory. Then you almost have to extend/keep him for another year or two and see if you can repeat the next year.

RealSNR 10-10-2017 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 13138046)
I would trade him for a 1st.

That's what I keep trying to tell you.

Teams will pay if Alex plays like he has been. Yes, for a QB in his mid-30s who's owed $18 million. If you think it's reasonable for the Chiefs to pay for wasting Mahomes' cheap rookie deal so they can start Alex another year or two beyond 2017, then it's reasonable for other teams to pay a 1st round pick for Alex if they don't have anything at the QB position.

Sam Bradford, man. And Sam Bradford ****ing sucks. He always has.

Alex Smith doesn't suck. He's just older.

RealSNR 10-10-2017 07:54 AM

Hell, what if we get a 1st AND CHANGE for Alex?

If Jacksonville needs a new QB and they only have a low 1st rounder from making the playoffs, make them chip in a WR they're not using. Or an extra 3rd or 4th. Something like that.

Direckshun 10-10-2017 08:09 AM

I just struggle to think a team would pay a 1st for him.

But what do I know.

kccrow 10-10-2017 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 13139910)
Hell, what if we get a 1st AND CHANGE for Alex?

If Jacksonville needs a new QB and they only have a low 1st rounder from making the playoffs, make them chip in a WR they're not using. Or an extra 3rd or 4th. Something like that.

I'd be inclined to take Bortles as a backup, but unfortunately his 5th year option number is prohibitive. He has flashed some ability from time-to-time and I think ol' Andy could make something worthwhile out of him.

I do, however, wonder if they'd be willing to deal Dante Fowler. He's' going into the final year of his rookie deal and the Jags would be on the hook for about half of his contract amount, he'd only cost 3.6 million. He hasn't been all-world so far, but he's had a solid start to the season this year as a backup with 4 sacks. He's only 23. If they'd deal Fowler and a 2nd, I'd be happier than a pig rolling in shit.

RunKC 10-10-2017 10:34 AM

If Alex keeps this up, he'll have over 30 TD's and 4,000+ passing yards. Unless he bombs in the playoffs, you stick with the hot hand.

DJ isn't playing with a $10 million cap hit next year and Tamba will be expendable. I really don't see a need to spend a lot of money in FA next year anyway. It really hasn't worked. Who are the big money guys that we've signed that have been worth the contract? I'm only seeing Mitchell Schwartz so far.

The team we have is the most talented overall in the NFL. Just sign our own guys like Albert Wilson (team friendly small contract), Bennie Logan, Terrance Mitchell and Mitch Morse to new deals with their cap hits coming after 2018.

You know what we need to do? Draft players for right ****ing NOW, not development players.

Use the draft to get our depth players and bolster the team.

threebag 10-10-2017 02:55 PM

:o)Planet experts want a trade... Anything to get Mahomes behind center... Injuries/death to Alex we've seen it all... It's a ever ending cycle of douche. Funny part is Alex is :o)ing the **** out of them.

OldSchool 10-10-2017 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threebag02 (Post 13140821)
:o)Planet experts want a trade... Anything to get Mahomes behind center... Injuries/death to Alex we've seen it all... It's a ever ending cycle of douche. Funny part is Alex is :o)ing the **** out of them.

Much truth to this.

And there is no guarantee that Mahomes would even pan out. Just look at Pre-Season Kizer vs regular season reality.

Direckshun 10-10-2017 05:53 PM

Preseason Kizer was not preseason Mahomes.

Sweet Daddy Hate 10-10-2017 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 13139936)
I just struggle to think a team would pay a 1st for him.

But what do I know.

Really???

As much drafting and FA as you shove down your gullet year in and year out, and you can't see that?!?!?

Damn...

Sweet Daddy Hate 10-10-2017 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threebag02 (Post 13140821)

Honey, the Smith Crash of '17 is going to be absolutely suicide watch-inducing for folks like you.
I will literally need a mop the size of your gushing vagina to soak up the tears.
Tick-tock...

gonefishin53 10-10-2017 08:34 PM

Chiefs Planet was treating Mahomes as our conquering hero when we used not just 1 first round pick but 2 first round picks on a first round QB for the first time in 34 years. When Mahomes exceeded expectations in training camp and preseason, Chiefs Planet was debating which game Mahomes would replace Smith as the starting QB. Then Smith plays his best ball in KC over the first 5 games of the season and now Mahomes isn't good enough to start until his 4th season. Chiefs Planet defines schizoqhrenia.

OldSchool 10-10-2017 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonefishin53 (Post 13141358)
Chiefs Planet was treating Mahomes as our conquering hero when we used not just 1 first round pick but 2 first round picks on a first round QB for the first time in 34 years. When Mahomes exceeded expectations in training camp and preseason, Chiefs Planet was debating which game Mahomes would replace Smith as the starting QB. Then Smith plays his best ball in KC over the first 5 games of the season and now Mahomes isn't good enough to start until his 4th season. Chiefs Planet defines schizoqhrenia.

Not really. For the most part, it's not the same guys flipping script. At least I'm not. I've said all along that I'd want Mahomes to sit at least a couple of years regardless of his Pre-Season "dominance" and before Smith had his coming out party.

You still have the QB1 club who can't wait for Smith to be gone regardless of how well he is playing. I mean, during the Chargers (or Eagles) game you had people posting "stay the **** down" when Smith got knocked to the ground.

Sweet Daddy Hate 10-10-2017 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonefishin53 (Post 13141358)

Idiots gonna' idiot.
There exist a small contingent here who will back every single move the Chiefs make without ANY thought of reason, foresight, or hindsight.
Everyday is a fresh new day! Every new season a chance to be champs!
Franchise history, NFL history, and data compiled over decades mean absolutely nothing to these folks, and many of them are a prime reason that morons like Peterson and Peeholi long overstayed their welcome.
These fools welcomed Smith with open arms, minds, hearts, and wallets, and were just ghastly taken aback when a fan base that had grown weary, leery, and technologically football-savvy did NOT see the "wisdom" of such a move.
Prior to this, these poor, mistreated souls had undergone a severe e-beating in the form of almost a decades worth of advocation for the acquisition of a 1st round QB, in hopes of breaking KC's cycle of mediocre insanity. And we of the QB1 Death Cult spared NO rod on these deserved fools. We beat their asses up, down, and all around the internet until finally, only a few hardcore gluttons for punishment remained.
It took a long goddamned time to make a larger majority of the Chiefs fan base both at CP and in the "real world" understand that NO retread QB was EVER going to take the Chiefs to a Super Bowl, much less win the ****ing thing.
The Chiefs themselves finally understood this, and did what needed to be done.
The future is secure, and the Chiefs stand on the cusp of fielding what could be an elite unit led by a young, elite QB.

But don't let that get in the way of some good, old fashioned butthurt.

The losers of this war, having already lost but being too ****ing stupid to realize it much less admit it, have unfurled their Epic Vagina Flag one last time, and attached it to the aged ass of Alex Peckerwhacker Smith.
He is their Golden Hope, their last chance at attaching ANY validation to an already proven failure of a team-building philosophy. A philosophy that their beloved franchise has already abandoned.

It is unfortunate that yet another season must be wasted upon an idea whose time has come and gone, but I am more than confident that the final outcome will be well worth it.

There won't even be ashes left to blow in the wind.

RealSNR 10-10-2017 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 13140857)
Much truth to this.

And there is no guarantee that Mahomes would even pan out. Just look at Pre-Season Kizer vs regular season reality.

Aaaaaand there it is again. I thought we were done with this reeruned asinine logic when we drafted a QB.

"There's no guarantee..."

Alex is not a long term option. You can't afford to keep both Mahomes and him around on the same team forever. And Alex isn't playing forever, either. He's an old man who has taken multiple serious concussions and a season-ending injury to his throwing arm.

Let's say Mahomes doesn't work out. What the **** are you going to do? Keep rolling with Smith? HE'S AT THE END OF HIS CAREER. He can't play forever. You're going to have to say goodbye to Smith in less than 5 years anyway!

If Mahomes doesn't work out, we're going to have to get lucky and find a replacement or we're ****ed. In a couple years if we find out that Mahomes isn't good enough, then a 35+ year old Alex ****ing Smith isn't going to save us. We're going to be in the exact same position we were in before we drafted Mahomes--- the back end of the first round with no hope at top QBs you think are "sure things"

"There's no guarantee..." So? Are you ****ing looking for a guarantee? The NFL is a goddamn game. Unless you're playing something like Candy Land, you take RISKS to win games. There's no guarantee in ANYTHING.

The Chiefs unveiled a plan for the future when they drafted Mahomes. It might work out. It might not. But at least it's a ****ing plan instead of sitting around holding your dick and squeezing every last drop of juice out of an old ****ing QB on his last legs, hoping he somehow can play until he's ****ing 65. And like it or not, that plan the Chiefs chose is an unknown. They're setting this plan in motion, and they don't know what's going to happen. There's no looking back, though, and that long term plan does NOT ****ing involve Alex Smith.

O.city 10-11-2017 09:54 AM

Andy sold in Mcnabb high.

If alex plays at this level all year, that's the highest it's gonna get value wise. What are the chances he does it again next year, a year older?

Discuss Thrower 10-11-2017 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13142112)
What are the chances he does it again next year, a year older?

http://i.imgur.com/AD7Lvzh.jpg

kccrow 10-11-2017 03:47 PM

If they do keep him, here'd be my plan...

Sign:

Beau Allen, NT (PHI)
(reference A. Woods, D. Square)
2 years, $4 million, $1.5 million signing bonus
~ $1.5 million 2018

Re-Sign:
Anthony Sherman, FB
(reference P. DiMarco)
4 years, $8.5 million, $2 million signing bonus
~ $2 million 2018

Tyler Bray, QB
(reference R. Griffen, K. Clemens, B. Weeden, C. Daniel, etc)
2 years, $2.4 million
~ $1.2 million 2018

Rakeem Nunez-Roches, DL
RFA Tender Original Round
~ $1.8 million 2018

Terrance Mitchell, CB
(reference B. Carr, J. Lane, M. Cooper, C. Hayward, etc)
4 years, $22 million, $6 million signing bonus, $8 million guaranteed.
~ $3.8 million 2018

Terrance Smith, ILB
ERFA Tender
~$630k 2018

Kevin Pierre-Louis, ILB
1 year, vet minimum $790k

Phillip Gaines, CB
1 year, vet minimum $790k

Estimated 2018 Net Increase Against Cap: $12.5 million
Total Cap Space needed: $12.5 + $5 million buffer + $3 million draft = $20.5 million

Let walk:

LB R. Wilson (RFA)
WR D. Thomas
WR A. Wilson
DB S. Terrell
DB K. Acker
DL J. Jenkins
DL R. Miller
OL J. Devey
OL Z. Fulton
SP D. Colquitt

Other Transactions:

Retire/Release Derrick Johnson, ILB ($8 million cap space)
Retire/Release Tamba Hali, OLB ($7 million cap space)
Release Demetrius Harris ($2 million cap space)
Convert $6 million of Justin Houston's 2018 salary into a signing bonus (gains $4 million cap space 2018)
Total Cap Space Gained: $21 million

Roster:
QB: A. Smith, P. Mahomes, T. Bray
RB: K. Hunt, S. Ware, C. West
FB: A. Sherman
TE: T. Kelce, R. Travis, ?
WR: T. Hill, C. Conley, J. Chesson, D. Robinson, M. Kemp?, G. Deiter?
OL: E. Fisher, P. Ehinger, M. Morse, L. Duvernay-Tardif, M. Schwartz, B. Witzman, C. Erving, ?, ?
DL: R. Nunez-Roches, C. Jones, A. Bailey, T. Kpassagnon, B. Allen
OLB: J. Houston, D. Ford, D. Nicolas, F. Zombo, ?
ILB: U. Eligwe, R. Ragland, T. Smith, K. Pierre-Louis, ?
CB: M. Peters, T. Mitchell, S. Nelson, D. White, P. Gaines, A. Lampkin
DB: E. Berry, R. Parker, D. Sorensen, E. Murray
ST: H. Butker, J. Winchester, ?

Leaves you some holes at TE, OL, OLB, ILB, and P and maybe WR.
You could probably fill 2 of those with cheap vet free agents (esp WR, TE or OL) at the minimum and still have a little buffer for the season, and I don't think the draft will cost the $3 million I have allocated (net cap effect, not total money). You could sign Kemp and Deiter to the 53 for next year and only cost you 960k, so that's a big area to keep the savings IMO.

Couch-Potato 10-12-2017 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 13069145)
If he goes off this year and they think that Mahomes is ready, the FO will likely try their best to trade him for 2nd round picks. Teams who would likely make the trade:

Jags
Texans (depending on how much/if Watson ends up sucking)
Cardinals (Palmer is likely done)
Jets
Bills

Texans have Watson, and two of these team will get early first round QBs. Why cant we just extend/restructure Smith?

jLoy88 10-12-2017 04:29 PM

I love Alex. He is the reason I am a Chiefs fan. I am from Utah and went to most of his college games. I felt he was done dirty by Harbaugh and I couldn't support the 49ers after they cut him during his best season off the heels of an NFCCG. With that said... it only makes sense to trade him after this year. With the season he is having he is guaranteed to bring a first round draft pick and some role players in any package someone puts together for him. His hit to the cap next season is $20m and to get the most out of Mahomes rookie deal we would need to cut him loose. It sucks but thats the reality of this situation. Alex is worth far more to another team and conversely the Chiefs by being traded. Let's all enjoy this year of him though and hope we get our SB.

Sweet Daddy Hate 10-12-2017 09:08 PM

:rolleyes: :facepalm:

RealSNR 10-12-2017 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jLoy88 (Post 13145194)
I love Alex. He is the reason I am a Chiefs fan. I am from Utah and went to most of his college games. I felt he was done dirty by Harbaugh and I couldn't support the 49ers after they cut him during his best season off the heels of an NFCCG. With that said... it only makes sense to trade him after this year. With the season he is having he is guaranteed to bring a first round draft pick and some role players in any package someone puts together for him. His hit to the cap next season is $20m and to get the most out of Mahomes rookie deal we would need to cut him loose. It sucks but thats the reality of this situation. Alex is worth far more to another team and conversely the Chiefs by being traded. Let's all enjoy this year of him though and hope we get our SB.

See? This is the kind of Alex fan I like having around. This guy knows the true value of Alex to this franchise in the longterm view comes through trade. Nothing wrong with being a fan of Smith and seeing the bigger picture.

Easy 6 10-13-2017 04:23 PM

If we go all the way and win it, Smith definitely deserves a shot at coming back to defend the title

Anything less than that, and it only makes sense to move on... Alex isnt getting any younger, and we'd be wasting 2 years of Pats 'cheap' rookie deal

RunKC 10-13-2017 07:41 PM

If Alex gets us to the SB it's because he's playing like he currently is. Right now he's playing like Rodgers.

You don't just trade that off.

Hammock Parties 10-16-2017 10:00 AM

WELP