ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Clark Hunt, Brett Veach & Andy Reid press conference (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=308903)

Rausch 07-24-2017 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 12970843)
My big problem with Clark's comments are that he has 2 guys in that personnel department who are now NFL Gm's. They are highly regarded and you just hired one of them.

It just seems like Clark didn't like John Dorsey. Guy and his staff built a great roster and I don't know how Clark could make garbage statements like he needed the personnel side to match the coaching.

I also don't know if this was stewing since early this year why they let Ballard go.

1) I think Clark is far to fair in letting good talent go. He could have protected them but let them move on.

2) The accounting didn't add up. We signed a ton of guys who were UDFA's or low priced FA's that produced for us in big ways. Despite that we're forced to make deep cuts...

raybec 4 07-24-2017 10:17 AM

Quote:

My big problem with Clark's comments are that he has 2 guys in that personnel department who are now NFL Gm's. They are highly regarded and you just hired one of them.

It just seems like Clark didn't like John Dorsey. Guy and his staff built a great roster and I don't know how Clark could make garbage statements like he needed the personnel side to match the coaching.

I also don't know if this was stewing since early this year why they let Ballard go.

I get why everyone says that about Ballard. If you manage people though like Clark managed Dorsey, you want to give them every chance to meet your expectations. I'm sure Clark had many conversations with Dorsey about how he wanted things done.

If you are trying to get someone with a LOT of strong attributes to fix a few flaws you really can't hold other people back (like Ballard) just in case it doesn't work out.

Rausch 07-24-2017 10:19 AM

Our new GM sounds like a green You-tuber...

Rasputin 07-24-2017 10:20 AM

Andy Reid really likes what Veach brings to the table probably baby back ribs

Rasputin 07-24-2017 10:25 AM

Veach Mahomes best quarterback in the draft

Hog's Gone Fishin 07-24-2017 10:26 AM

I like Veach ,he says his strength is scouting and player acquisition.

Rasputin 07-24-2017 10:27 AM

Veach handled the Tamba questions really good. I liked his answers and a bit witty in doing it.

Hog's Gone Fishin 07-24-2017 10:29 AM

Clark says he likes Veaches long term vision

Rausch 07-24-2017 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 12970869)
Veach handled the Tamba questions really good. I liked his answers and a bit witty in doing it.

He seems very quick witted.

I suspect his mind is moving faster than his mouth.

He's held his own in this presser for sure...

RunKC 07-24-2017 10:30 AM

He basically said everything Dorsey said in his intro press conference.

Draft well, waiver wire is a big deal, selective in FA, etc.

Thank god it's the same philosophy

mcaj22 07-24-2017 10:30 AM

Quote:

Blows my mind that Clark thinks this team is lacking on the roster. Fat Scott had a roster devoid of any depth with spots 20-53 that were guys that had no business being in the NFL and he got just as long a leash as Dorsey. Sad, really.

Rausch 07-24-2017 10:30 AM

He makes a point of listing the cap as a specific area of importance...

Rasputin 07-24-2017 10:30 AM

He seems like he is going do well on the college front talking to coaches and getting all the information he can about players. He's been doing it but I think his position will enhance "what he brings to the table"

penbrook 07-24-2017 10:32 AM

Veach said Mahomes was the best QB in the draft and one of the first things he had to do when he got hired was to get Mahomes to sign his contract.

I love Veach already!!

penbrook 07-24-2017 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 12970877)
Blows my mind that Clark thinks this team is lacking on the roster. Fat Scott had a roster devoid of any depth with spots 20-53 that were guys that had no business being in the NFL and he got just as long a leash as Dorsey. Sad, really.

We are lacking at WR but that's about it

JakeF 07-24-2017 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 12970857)

He is just here to do what Andy tells him so it doesn't matter.

Rasputin 07-24-2017 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 12970874)
He seems very quick witted.

I suspect his mind is moving faster than his mouth.

He's held his own in this presser for sure...

That's the impression I got. I sure liked listening to him better than Clark. Clark seems like he is reading off a card and doesn't have a natural tone of voice he talks scripted.

penbrook 07-24-2017 10:35 AM

Veach is only a few years older than DJ

pugsnotdrugs19 07-24-2017 10:36 AM

A lot of positive energy to be drawn from this. Perfect timing right as camp begins.

Rausch 07-24-2017 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch

He sounded energetic and off the cuff.

No hold back on his statements. He was clear and dodged nothing...

penbrook 07-24-2017 10:38 AM

Veach has a hard on for Mahomes

TimBone 07-24-2017 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 12970824)
Everything was smooth sailing until this offseason. What are the two biggest WTF moves this offseason?

1. Maclin released via voicemail.

there weeks later

2. Dorsey fired.

Correlation =/= causation, but come on...

I'm thinking that was the final straw. Maybe that was one of the bigger things Dorsey did without communicating with Clark or Andy beforehand.

TimeForWasp 07-24-2017 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 12970859)
Andy Reid really likes what Veach brings to the table probably baby back ribs

Veach will slide that sandwich over to Andy a lot quicker.

jaa1025 07-24-2017 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penbrook (Post 12970882)
We are lacking at WR but that's about it

ILB is a big hole IMO. I love DJ but coming off major injury at his age? Will he have anything left?

OLB Houston has pretty much been a major bust after his big contract because of injuries. Dee Ford has been a bust. Hali is washed up.

CB has a young star...and a lot of scap heap players.

WR Obviously

TE after Kelce

RB--Not sold on Ware as full time RB after last season. We will see how the rook does.

Rausch 07-24-2017 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaa1025 (Post 12970899)

OLB Houston has pretty much been a major bust after his big contract because of injuries. Dee Ford has been a bust. Hali is washed up.

Whoa, slow down.

Ford was an excellent situational pass rusher last year. He's perfect for the Hali role in this D.

Houston came off the ****ing bench to nab 3 sacks and a ****ing safety AT DENVER in a game that definitely changed our season.

Once Denver put their faith in their kicker over their offense it was over...

The Bad Guy 07-24-2017 10:44 AM

Dee Ford has been a bust? Sure.

The Bad Guy 07-24-2017 10:46 AM

I also disagree with the trash take that this cornerback group is a bunch of scrap heap guys after MP. Nelson is a very good slot corner.

Rasputin 07-24-2017 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 12970902)

Will have a bust in Canton Ohio he means...

raybec 4 07-24-2017 10:47 AM

Quote:

ILB is a big hole IMO. I love DJ but coming off major injury at his age? Will he have anything left?

WR Obviously

TE after Kelce

RB--Not sold on Ware as full time RB after last season. We will see how the rook does.

Today's hot take

Rausch 07-24-2017 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 12970902)

He's an excellent situational pass rusher.

Quit equating his worth to the pick given for him. That's over and done.

The problem isn't Ford's value it's his looming contract and the inevitability we'll have to pay more to keep him than he's worth....

staylor26 07-24-2017 10:49 AM

Quote:

WR Obviously

TE after Kelce

:facepalm:

Rausch 07-24-2017 10:50 AM

Quote:

Learn "the rook's" name.

He'll lead this backfield by week 8.

His style is very similar to Tomlinson's while having much better ability to sustain a hit and stay balanced...

OnTheWarpath15 07-24-2017 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 12970869)

Can someone elaborate on this? I had to quit listening and missed it.

Titty Meat 07-24-2017 10:53 AM

Veach is very impressive

Rasputin 07-24-2017 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 12970913)
Can someone elaborate on this? I had to quit listening and missed it.

Responded with that he loves Tamba and that this kind of thing happens to every team in the NFL and that they will talk with Tamba about it and move on. Loves Tamba again. So he didn't say anything in negativity to the situation but took a possitive spin. Also says he won't be tweeting on Tweeter as GM lol.

OnTheWarpath15 07-24-2017 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 12970917)
Responded with that he loves Tamba and that this kind of thing happens to every team in the NFL and that they will talk with Tamba about it and move on. Loves Tamba again. So he didn't say anything in negativity to the situation but took a possitive spin. Also says he won't be tweeting on Tweeter as GM lol.

Thanks man. Appreciate it.

I disagree about this happening to all teams, otherwise pretty stock answer.

oldman 07-24-2017 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 12970818)
1. Didn't sign Houston when they should have, spent far too much money the following year.
2. Didn't sign Berry when they should have, spent far too much money the following year.
3. Didn't draft a QB when they should have, spent a ton (not too much, tho) to move up for one two years later.
4. Didn't extend Tamba when they should have, spent far too much to extend him the following DAY.
5. Cut Maclin via voicemail.

I think this is what happened.

I agree 100%. Add to the cap mess Dorsey's tendency to go maverick and you have a good reason to can a GM.

staylor26 07-24-2017 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballBillay (Post 12970916)
Veach is very impressive

Care to explain why? I haven't gotten to watch it yet.

Rasputin 07-24-2017 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballBillay (Post 12970916)
Veach is very impressive

He sounds smart like his IQ is top echelon of IQ level.

RunKC 07-24-2017 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 12970923)

He spoke really well. Just seemed like he had control over everything.

He made the Tamba question seem like it wasn't a big deal.

penbrook 07-24-2017 11:02 AM

Per Terez Paylor

Hunt on what Reid thought of Mahomes' performance in OTAs: "He was thrilled...he thought he made tremendous strides."

Bowser 07-24-2017 11:02 AM

Looking back, Dorsey was likely very lucky he didn't get the boot after the way he mismanaged Tamba's contract. He probably got a pass for that for being a "rookie" GM, but that was a monumental ****up. We essentially ended up having our cap take a hit TWICE for one guy, iirc.

jaa1025 07-24-2017 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 12970901)
Whoa, slow down.

Ford was an excellent situational pass rusher last year. He's perfect for the Hali role in this D.

Houston came off the ****ing bench to nab 3 sacks and a ****ing safety AT DENVER in a game that definitely changed our season.

Once Denver put their faith in their kicker over their offense it was over...

So just to confirm:

You are happy about the team drafting a situational player with the 1st round pick, especially considering that it is looking like the coaching staff wanted Carr and Dorsey wanted Ford.

You don't have any problem paying Houston 100 mil for one game where he played lights out.

Rasputin 07-24-2017 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 12970921)

I didn't speak in his words but generally happens across the league but didn't play into it like the media expects a guy to say something out of how dare he does that kind of thing.

I really liked his tone of voice compared to Clark Hunt who I kind of cringe to listen too.

I think he is going go far for the Chiefs he is young will undoubtly make mistakes but I think he will over come them by that he can learn from them rather quickly and over the years really set this team up for success.

Did I mention he sounds smart?

Granslamwhich 07-24-2017 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaa1025 (Post 12970928)
So just to confirm:

You are happy about the team drafting a situational player with the 1st round pick, especially considering that it is looking like the coaching staff wanted Carr and Dorsey wanted Ford.

You don't have any problem paying Houston 100 mil for one game where he played lights out.

We need Ford to replace the older guys soon. and Carr couldn't beat us the last 2 years, an he hasn't brought the Raiders a SB. Hopefully Mahomes will

Houston is not as good as he once was, but he is still a beast if he stays healthy(hopefully he will)

BlackOp 07-24-2017 11:11 AM

Quote:

So just to confirm:

Labeling Houston a "bust" is a bit melodramatic...he was seriously injured by his own player. No GM can control those types of freak occurrences.

penbrook 07-24-2017 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOp (Post 12970934)
Labeling Houston a "bust" is a bit melodramatic...he was seriously injured by his own player. No GM can control those types of freak occurrences.

This year will determine if Houston is still the guy. He showed up vs the Donald last year. He is healthy this year.

Rausch 07-24-2017 11:12 AM

Quote:

So just to confirm:

Just to confirm I'd say Ford would have been a great 3rd round pick.

Period.

We can't DR. WHO this $3it - we have him. Now that we do let's be honest about his value.

Quote:

At the time I lost my ****ing mind for 3 days ranting over the pick.

In short - I HATED IT.

Quote:

No.

You can't predict injuries.

Houston is, by far, the most BALANCED OLB in the league.

When healthy he can cover, shut down the run, and he's DOMINANT over anyone lined up opposite him when he rushes.

He's a ****ing monster no one can defend with one person in the pass rush.

He dominates RT's.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UVrw8hxS9qQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PAY DYAT MAN HEES MONEE!

ToxSocks 07-24-2017 11:12 AM

Quote:

So just to confirm:

You already have two pro-bowl caliber OLB's and you add a 3rd, someone is bound to be a "Situational" pass rusher. He is more than that, but has had to settle into his role. When he's started he's produced. To call him a bust is just plain ol' dumb.

Rausch 07-24-2017 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 12970939)
You already have two pro-bowl caliber OLB's and you add a 3rd, someone is bound to be a "Situational" pass rusher. He is more than that, but has had to settle into his role. When he's started he's produced. To call him a bust is just plain ol' dumb.

It's not Fish's fault he was drafted where he was.

It's not Ford's fault he was drafted where he was.

It was Houston's fault he was drafted where he was.

Those picks are spent. Now evaluate the worth of the player...

ToxSocks 07-24-2017 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 12970942)
It's not Fish's fault he was drafted where he was.

It's not Ford's fault he was drafted where he was.

It was Houston's fault he was drafted where he was.

Those picks are spent. Now evaluate the worth of the player...

?

In hindsight, Fisher may have been the best pick in the top 10. That draft was just an awful draft.

Ford has proven to be quite valuable and productive and wouldn't have fallen much further than he did. You guys are acting like he's Vernon Gholston or some shit.

penbrook 07-24-2017 11:25 AM

Per Terez Paylor

Hunt also said Veach's attention to detail and collaborative communication style were positives.

penbrook 07-24-2017 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 12970951)
?

In hindsight, Fisher may have been the best pick in the top 10. That draft was just an awful draft.

Ford has proven to be quite valuable and productive and wouldn't have fallen much further than he did. You guys are acting like he's Vernon Gholston or some shit.

Ansah is better

Rausch 07-24-2017 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 12970951)
?

I'm defending Ford.

You aren't paying attention...

DaneMcCloud 07-24-2017 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 12970921)

Veach also showed his humorous side on Monday, deadpanning, “Great timing. That was awesome,” about linebacker Tamba Hali’s recent comments about certain teammates’ work ethic.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/article163278233.html

ToxSocks 07-24-2017 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 12970954)
I'm defending Ford.

You aren't paying attention...

My bad

The Bad Guy 07-24-2017 11:30 AM

Quote:

So just to confirm:

And you would have been the first one bitching if the Chiefs didn't pay Houston after he had monster seasons. Stop this. It's hindesight bullshit that you had no idea of knowing that he would be consistently hurt after signing.

And yes, I'm fine taking someone in the 20s that can get 10 sacks in a season.

Rasputin 07-24-2017 11:31 AM

His age being young may also give him an advantage that the players can relate to him better so he can talk their language to the art of negotiations. I don't think he will be any push over and I don't think he will cave in on the older vets either.

The Bad Guy 07-24-2017 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penbrook (Post 12970953)
Ansah is better

Nope. He's not.

DaneMcCloud 07-24-2017 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 12970937)
Just to confirm I'd say Ford would have been a great 3rd round pick

In three part time seasons, Ford has amassed 15.5 sacks.

In Hali's first three seasons of starting all 16 games, he had 18.5 sacks.

Ford's been a fine first round pick.

DaneMcCloud 07-24-2017 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 12970963)
Nope. He's not.

Not to mention the fact that Ansah is a 4-3 end, not a stand up 3-4 OLBer.

At 6'5, he would have have great difficulty at the OLB position.

Titty Meat 07-24-2017 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 12970923)

Great speaker very intelligent and seems to know what's going on. I'll admit when Dorsey was introduced I didn't get that feeling.

Veach spoke to Petro after and was able to break down the difference between how the Eagles handled the draft and how Dorsey did it. He said with Dorsey they would get together 17-20 days before the draft and watch 12 hours of tape on players for those 3 weeks. Opposed to reading reports or having area scouts come in and breakdown players.

Now I don't know shit about scouting but I do believe the tape doesn't lie.

penbrook 07-24-2017 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 12970963)
Nope. He's not.

He's been to a pro bowl, led the NFC in sacks in 2015 and was also named a second team All Pro. I'm still waiting for Fishers accomplishments

Rausch 07-24-2017 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12970965)
In three part time seasons, Ford has amassed 15.5 sacks.

In Hali's first three seasons of starting all 16 games, he had 18.5 sacks.

Ford's been a fine first round pick.

To be fair Hali was played out of position his first few years. He was undersized and brainwashed by the cover 2 that was already past it's time.

The Bad Guy 07-24-2017 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penbrook (Post 12970972)
He's been to a pro bowl, led the NFC in sacks in 2015 and was also named a second team All Pro. I'm still waiting for Fishers accomplishments

Because you're too stupid to understand what you're watching. Ansah hasn't been a dominant DE, he's had one good season and finding long-term left tackles are much tougher to get in this league than middle of the road 4-3 ends.

penbrook 07-24-2017 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 12970975)
Because you're too stupid to understand what you're watching. Ansah hasn't been a dominant DE, he's had one good season and finding long-term left tackles are much tougher to get in this league than middle of the road 4-3 ends.

I was talking about up to this very moment Ansah has done more than Fisher has. Who knows what will happen in the future. Fisher has improved every year though, that gives me hope

Rasputin 07-24-2017 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12970955)
Veach also showed his humorous side on Monday, deadpanning, “Great timing. That was awesome,” about linebacker Tamba Hali’s recent comments about certain teammates’ work ethic.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/article163278233.html

I like this part

Veach, who said he spoke to Dorsey both before and after his interview with Hunt, said his job will be to make decisions that are in the best interests of the Chiefs. He said he and Reid have actually “disagreed a lot” through the years, noting that this is the way it should be between a coach and GM.

“I don’t think Coach would have respect for me if I just said “Yes yes yes” for 10 years,” he said. “We have a great deal of trust and respect.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/art...#storylink=cpy

He didn't come across as a yes man in the presser so I got a little more admiration for the young GM. He seems to know his business and be able to grow it and prosper with in it. I didn't expect to like the new GM right away but I got a good feeling things are going work out the way they should for prosperity and good will that the Chiefs fans will enjoy going to games.

The Bad Guy 07-24-2017 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penbrook (Post 12970979)
I was talking about up to this very moment Ansah has done more than Fisher has. Who knows what will happen in the future. Fisher has improved every year though, that gives me hope

And I completely disagree he's done more. Just because Fisher isn't as good as Joe Thomas and won't get an all-pro designation, doesn't mean Ansah is better or would have been a better pick.

Fisher has been the anchor of this line for 3 years now. Ansah has had one productive season where he totaled more than 40% of his career sacks.

penbrook 07-24-2017 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 12970980)
I like this part

Veach, who said he spoke to Dorsey both before and after his interview with Hunt, said his job will be to make decisions that are in the best interests of the Chiefs. He said he and Reid have actually “disagreed a lot” through the years, noting that this is the way it should be between a coach and GM.

“I don’t think Coach would have respect for me if I just said “Yes yes yes” for 10 years,” he said. “We have a great deal of trust and respect.”

He didn't come across as a yes man in the presser so I got a little more admiration for the young GM. He seems to know his business and be able to grow it and prosper with in it. I didn't expect to like the new GM right away but I got a good feeling things are going work out the way they should for prosperity and good will that the Chiefs fans will enjoy going to games.

He also loves Mahomes. Said he was the best QB in the draft and signing Mahomes was one of the most important things he had to do when he got signed.

MahiMike 07-24-2017 11:42 AM

Who the hell is Brett veach and where is Dorsey?

Rausch 07-24-2017 11:43 AM

He'll have to earn that autonomy but he's got the balls for it.

We'll see...

Rasputin 07-24-2017 12:16 PM

Not a word about Alex Smith but he sure does like Patrick Mahomes II the best quarterback in the draft.

NJChiefsFan 07-24-2017 12:21 PM

Quote:

This.

Wants to audit. Waits until best replacement leaves to do it.

Kiimo 07-24-2017 12:23 PM

I for one am very pleased so far. Let's see him get a linebacker and a wide receiver next year with no first round draft pick and if he manages to do that I'm all in.

Reerun_KC 07-24-2017 12:27 PM

So did the KC media disappoint with there questions or did they go all true fan and slurp?

NJChiefsFan 07-24-2017 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 12970980)
I like this part

This is great to hear.

My issues with this situation have nothing to do with my trust in Brett Coach.

Kiimo 07-24-2017 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 12971031)
So did the KC media disappoint with there questions or did they go all true fan and slurp?

Pretty tame but Kevin managed to get in his nonsense about Berry and Clark completely sidestepped it and now for sure Kevin will bitch about that.

At least we know his nonsense theory about Reid not wanting Mahomes is as dumb and wrong as we all immediately knew it to be.

gblowfish 07-24-2017 12:39 PM

I missed this. What's the bottom line? Is Brett going to be Andy Reid's Veach?

penbrook 07-24-2017 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 12971053)
I missed this. What's the bottom line? Is Brett going to be Andy Reid's Veach?

No. Veach is his own guy. Yes Andy and Veach will work together on some things but Veach has the final say on the 53. The good about Veach is he used to be a scout. He knows college players. Our draft should decrease at all, in fact our drafts might even get better

staylor26 07-24-2017 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penbrook (Post 12971084)
No. Veach is his own guy. Yes Andy and Veach will work together on some things but Veach has the final say on the 53. The good about Veach is he used to be a scout. He knows college players. Our draft should decrease at all, in fact our drafts might even get better

That's just not going to happen. If they remain as good we will be extremely fortunate.

I don't even think Dorsey himself could've improved upon his past couple drafts.